|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the boy's mother wait before she reports her son as missing?
2. According to Proshko's testimony, how does Yakov set the fire he is accused of starting?
3. With nothing to do in his cell, Yakov pieces together bits of something that he recites in his cell. What does he piece together?
4. After Yakov has his revelation as to the cause of his sickness, what does Yakov refuse to do?
5. After fixing up the apartment, Nikolai offers Yakov another job. Where is the job located?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Yakov uneasy in the days before his next prison visitor is set to arrive?
2. According to what Marfa has written, what should Yakov do in order for everything to be set right?
3. As spring continues on, Yakov is no longer allowed to make his trips to the kitchen. Why?
4. Why does the prisoner sent to talk to Yakov eventually end up apologizing to Yakov?
5. Why does Yakov debate returning the next day to the home of the person he found passed out in the snow?
6. Why is Yakov moved by the stories he reads about Jesus?
7. As the man in charge of the investigation questions Yakov, why does Yakov begin to feign ignorance and not answer the man's questions?
8. When Yakov finally meets with his attorney, what is the bad news that the attorney tells to Yakov?
9. As Yakov imagines talking to the Tsar, how does Yakov answer the Tsar's question about whether Yakov has been taught anything by his suffering?
10. Describe the later years of Yakov and Raisl's marriage.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Two times in the story before his arrest, Yakov stops to help someone lying hurt on the street. Identify each of these situations. Then, determine what consequences Yakov realized - both positive and negative - from helping these people. Based on the consequences realized, should Yakov have stopped to help or not? Had he not stopped in either instance, how would the story have been impacted? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Nikolai character at the beginning of the book after Yakov saves his life. What is Nikolai's motivation? What drives him? Then, discuss this same character when he provides false testimony when questioned by the police about Yakov. What is Nikolai's motivation then? What is driving him? How do the events that happen between these two personalities change Nikolai's character from someone the reader likes - or perhaps feels sorry for - into a character the reader begins to hate? Who is Nikolai at the end of the story?
Essay Topic 3
After arriving at the cave, both Bibikov and the colonel see roads leading away from the cave. Describe each of these roads and the reaction of each of these two characters upon seeing the roads. Then, compare and contrast these two characters using their reactions as the starting point for a larger discussion about how these two characters are different.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)