|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the story begins, where is Yakov Bok?
2. When one of the guards takes pity on Yakov, what does Yakov suddenly have?
3. What is the sentence carried by the original charge that the man in charge of the investigation will bring against Yakov?
4. Who advises Yakov to stay in the village and not venture on to Kiev?
5. While sitting in his cell reflecting on his circumstances, what does Yakov liken being Jewish to?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Yakov's visitor leaves, the warden learns of the visit and interrogates Yakov again. What is the interrogation about?
2. Why is the Deputy Warden excited to learn of Yakov's escape-from-boredom activities?
3. As Bibikov continues to question Yakov, Bibikov confesses that he is living in fear. Why?
4. According to Yakov's visitor in prison, why is he known as the "nameless Jew"?
5. As Yakov's hallucinations become regular, what does he have trouble figuring out?
6. Why does Yakov debate returning the next day to the home of the person he found passed out in the snow?
7. As Yakov is being prepared for his trial, why does a barber come and shave Yakov's head?
8. According to Zhenia's mother, why does she delay in reporting her son as missing?
9. When Yakov is returned to prison and then meets with the prosecutor, the prosecutor offers him a deal. Why does Yakov refuse the prosecutor's deal?
10. When Yakov reaches the river, the boatman has to convince Yakov to accept the ferry ride. How does the boatman convince Yakov?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After arriving at the cave, both Bibikov and the colonel see roads leading away from the cave. Describe each of these roads and the reaction of each of these two characters upon seeing the roads. Then, compare and contrast these two characters using their reactions as the starting point for a larger discussion about how these two characters are different.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Nikolai character at the beginning of the book after Yakov saves his life. What is Nikolai's motivation? What drives him? Then, discuss this same character when he provides false testimony when questioned by the police about Yakov. What is Nikolai's motivation then? What is driving him? How do the events that happen between these two personalities change Nikolai's character from someone the reader likes - or perhaps feels sorry for - into a character the reader begins to hate? Who is Nikolai at the end of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Yakov Bok and B.A. Bibikov.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role that justice plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of justice - both positively and negatively?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)