|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who performs the total body and cavity searches that Yakov is subjected to?
2. Who advises Yakov to stay in the village and not venture on to Kiev?
3. Before going to join the running crowd, what does Yakov do?
4. When Bibikov comes to the prison to question Yakov, who does Bibikov believe is actually Yakov's greatest enemy?
5. While Yakov is being interrogated, two men arrive at the interrogation room and are invited inside. Who are these men?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yakov think about as he rides in the carriage to the courthouse?
2. When Yakov sees Bibikov in one of his visions, what does Yakov imagine telling Bibikov?
3. Even though Yakov keeps track of the days, he's not completely sure he's right. Why not?
4. When Yakov shares his story regarding why he is being held in prison, why do his cellmates beat him?
5. According to Yakov's attorney, why must the government find a way to prove Yakov's guilt?
6. Based on the indictment the warden delivers to Yakov, why does Yakov think he may be freed when he finally goes to trial?
7. Why is Yakov uneasy in the days before his next prison visitor is set to arrive?
8. After Yakov is discovered digging at the concrete and becomes despondent, he finally realizes something that the officials want. What do the officials want?
9. Why do the officials decide not to charge Yakov with sexual assault based on Zina's official testimony?
10. Why does Yakov steel himself to live instead of wanting to die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Yakov has a host of visitors to his prison cell. Identify three people that come to see Yakov in prison. Describe the character, the reason for the visit, the end result, and the emotional impact that the character's visit has on Yakov. For each of the visitors, determine if Yakov would have been better off not meeting with the character. Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Yakov Bok and B.A. Bibikov.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role that justice plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of justice - both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the warden with the deputy warden.
a. How are the two characters similar in terms of their professional lives? How are they different?
b. How are the two characters similar in their personality characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses? How are they different?
c. Only one of these characters survives the story. Is the deputy warden's death a result of his own doing or a result of dumb luck? Is the warden's survival a result of his own doing or a result of dumb luck? Support your reasoning for both.
d. Looking forward, how might Yakov's incarceration and subsequent trial have affected each of these men as they moved forward with their lives? Would they be similarly affected or not? Explain your answers and your reasoning.
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)