|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Nikolai offer to Yakov if Yakov will fix up an apartment that Nikolai owns?
2. What is Yakov given in order that he can have something to do?
3. When Bibikov comes to the prison to question Yakov, who does Bibikov believe is actually Yakov's greatest enemy?
4. How much money does the boatman offer to ferry Yakov across the river?
5. What is the sentence carried by the original charge that the man in charge of the investigation will bring against Yakov?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Bibikov's theory regarding Zhenia's murder.
2. When Yakov describes the things he takes pleasure in, what does he describe?
3. Why is the Deputy Warden excited to learn of Yakov's escape-from-boredom activities?
4. Even though Yakov is desperately ill and is not allowed access to the prison hospital, Yakov is relieved. Why?
5. Looking back on his marriage to Raisl, why does Yakov now believe that it was a mistake to marry Raisl?
6. As Yakov's hallucinations become regular, what does he have trouble figuring out?
7. As Yakov imagines talking to the Tsar, how does Yakov answer the Tsar's question about whether Yakov has been taught anything by his suffering?
8. When Yakov sees Bibikov in one of his visions, what does Yakov imagine telling Bibikov?
9. According to Yakov's attorney, why must the government find a way to prove Yakov's guilt?
10. Describe the later years of Yakov and Raisl's marriage.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Yakov has a host of visitors to his prison cell. Identify three people that come to see Yakov in prison. Describe the character, the reason for the visit, the end result, and the emotional impact that the character's visit has on Yakov. For each of the visitors, determine if Yakov would have been better off not meeting with the character. Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2After arriving at the cave, both Bibikov and the colonel see roads leading away from the cave. Describe each of these roads and the reaction of each of these two characters upon seeing the roads. Then, compare and contrast these two characters using their reactions as the starting point for a larger discussion about how these two characters are different.
Essay Topic 3Discuss the Nikolai character at the beginning of the book after Yakov saves his life. What is Nikolai's motivation? What drives him? Then, discuss this same character when he provides false testimony when questioned by the police about Yakov. What is Nikolai's motivation then? What is driving him? How do the events that happen between these two personalities change Nikolai's character from someone the reader likes - or perhaps feels sorry for - into a character the reader begins to hate? Who is Nikolai at the end of the story?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)