|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While sitting in his cell reflecting on his circumstances in Chapter 6, Part 9, how does Yakov feel about his fate?
2. What is Yakov given in order that he can have something to do?
3. As the days passed, the Russian officials kept waiting for Yakov to start something. What are they waiting for?
4. According to the boy's mother, what does Zhenia see when he looks in Yakov's apartment?
5. What does Zhitnyak sneak into Yakov after his escape-from-boredom materials are confiscated?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the later years of Yakov and Raisl's marriage.
2. As Yakov shivers in his cell in deepest despair, how does he view himself in relationship to the Tsar?
3. When Yakov is offered a pardon by the Tsar, why does Yakov refuse the pardon?
4. According to Yakov's visitor in prison, why is he known as the "nameless Jew"?
5. As spring continues on, Yakov is no longer allowed to make his trips to the kitchen. Why?
6. As Yakov is being prepared for his trial, why does a barber come and shave Yakov's head?
7. According to what Marfa has written, what should Yakov do in order for everything to be set right?
8. During an exercise recess, Yakov is told that the other prisoners do not like him. Why not?
9. When Yakov tells his visitor that he is being held in jail because he lied about his papers, how does the visitor respond?
10. As the man in charge of the investigation questions Yakov, why does Yakov begin to feign ignorance and not answer the man's questions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast how the character of Yakov Bok changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Yakov's character when he is first introduced in the story, when Yakov leaves the shtetl, after Yakov receives his first indictment, and when the story ends. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Two times in the story before his arrest, Yakov stops to help someone lying hurt on the street. Identify each of these situations. Then, determine what consequences Yakov realized - both positive and negative - from helping these people. Based on the consequences realized, should Yakov have stopped to help or not? Had he not stopped in either instance, how would the story have been impacted? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Yakov Bok and B.A. Bibikov.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role that justice plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of justice - both positively and negatively?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)