|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With nothing to do in his cell, Yakov pieces together bits of something that he recites in his cell. What does he piece together?
2. Even though Yakov is desperately ill and not allowed access to the prison hospital, the prison doctor does tell him how to be cured. What is the doctor's advice?
3. After fixing up the apartment, Nikolai offers Yakov another job. Where is the job located?
4. What does Raisl always beg Yakov to do?
5. When a drunken guard accidentally leaves Yakov's cell door unlocked, Yakov ventures out and comes upon a hanged man. Who is the man?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the explanation he receives, what has happened to the item(s) missing from Yakov's cell?
2. As Yakov imagines talking to the Tsar, how does Yakov answer the Tsar's question about whether Yakov has been taught anything by his suffering?
3. When Yakov is returned to prison and then meets with the prosecutor, the prosecutor offers him a deal. Why does Yakov refuse the prosecutor's deal?
4. When spring arrives, a visitor comes to the prison to comfort Yakov. Why does the visitor come?
5. Why doesn't Yakov want the authorities to win if he should happen to die a "nameless Jew"?
6. Describe the scene from Yakov's childhood that gives him nightmares.
7. Why does Yakov debate returning the next day to the home of the person he found passed out in the snow?
8. Why does Yakov stop keeping track of the days?
9. As Yakov is being prepared for his trial, why does a barber come and shave Yakov's head?
10. After Yakov's visitor leaves, the warden learns of the visit and interrogates Yakov again. What is the interrogation about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Two times in the story before his arrest, Yakov stops to help someone lying hurt on the street. Identify each of these situations. Then, determine what consequences Yakov realized - both positive and negative - from helping these people. Based on the consequences realized, should Yakov have stopped to help or not? Had he not stopped in either instance, how would the story have been impacted? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
In the course of the novel, Yakov is involved with two very different women - Raisl and Zina.
a. Compare and contrast these two women. How are they alike? How are they different?
b. Describe the relationship that Yakov has with each of these women. How does Yakov benefit from each relationship? What struggles does Yakov go through as a result of each relationship?
c. Is Yakov better or worse off for having been with each of these women? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Several people that Yakov has been in contact with provide damaging information against him to the police during the investigation of Zhenia's murder. Compare and contrast the following characters in terms of their personalities, their "testimony", and their motivations: Proshko, Zina, and Nikolai.
This section contains 2,049 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)