|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before the secret police member leaves Yakov's cell, what does he leave behind with Yakov?
(a) A consent form.
(b) A confession form.
(c) A questionnaire.
(d) A Bible.
2. To what group does Nikolai belong?
(a) The Black Panthers.
(b) The Black Hundreds.
(c) The Black Knights.
(d) The Black Renegades.
3. Before going to join the running crowd, what does Yakov do?
(a) Clean his plate.
(b) Finish his prayer.
(c) Hide his money.
(d) Call for the guard.
4. When Yakov is taken to the infirmary, who does he learn has been shot for disobeying a guard?
5. After reading the indictment and the evidence against Yakov, what does the prosecutor also accuse Yakov of?
(a) Beating his guard.
(b) Attempting to escape.
(c) Threatening the warden.
(d) Confessing in his sleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. While sitting in his cell reflecting on his circumstances in Chapter 6, Part 9, how does Yakov feel about his fate?
2. As Yakov begins to think he's going mad, whose ghost does he see?
3. Who begins to visit Yakov's cell in the middle of winter in order to obtain body samples?
4. When Yakov happens upon an old injured Jewish man while returning from shopping, where does Yakov take the injured man?
5. After Yakov has his revelation as to the cause of his sickness, what does Yakov refuse to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. When spring arrives, a visitor comes to the prison to comfort Yakov. Why does the visitor come?
2. What is Yakov reminded of as he wonders what might have happened if he simply had stayed in the shtetl?
3. According to the explanation he receives, what has happened to the item(s) missing from Yakov's cell?
4. When Yakov is offered a pardon by the Tsar, why does Yakov refuse the pardon?
5. After Yakov's chains are removed and he is waiting to meet with his new attorney, what is Yakov wondering about?
6. After Yakov's visitor leaves, the warden learns of the visit and interrogates Yakov again. What is the interrogation about?
7. When Yakov becomes very sick and nauseous, why is he refused access to the prison hospital?
8. During an exercise recess, Yakov is told that the other prisoners do not like him. Why not?
9. According to Zhenia's mother, why does she delay in reporting her son as missing?
10. As Yakov is being prepared for his trial, why does a barber come and shave Yakov's head?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)