|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the fat man who shares his packages from the outside with the other prisoners?
2. When Yakov is taken to the infirmary, who does he learn has been shot for disobeying a guard?
3. Who is the first person to bring firewood to Yakov's cell?
(a) The colonel.
(b) The warden.
(c) The Minister of Justice.
(d) The deputy warden.
4. As Yakov runs around his cell screaming, who finally tells him to shut up?
(c) The deputy warden.
(d) The warden.
5. As Yakov reflects on his time with Raisl, what does Yakov remember convincing Raisl is okay?
(a) Premarital sex.
(b) Teasing the rabbi.
(c) Skipping synagogue.
(d) Missing evening prayers.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Yakov roams Kiev, what does he try to pick up from the people of Kiev?
2. What is the name of the woman Yakov married?
3. What is the original charge that the man in charge of the investigation will bring against Yakov?
4. What is the name of the secret police member who introduces himself to Yakov as the man in charge of the investigation?
5. What is the name of the secret society that the prosecutor accuses Yakov of belonging to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the later years of Yakov and Raisl's marriage.
2. Why does the prisoner sent to talk to Yakov eventually end up apologizing to Yakov?
3. As Yakov is being prepared for his trial, why does a barber come and shave Yakov's head?
4. When Yakov shares his story regarding why he is being held in prison, why do his cellmates beat him?
5. During an exercise recess, Yakov is told that the other prisoners do not like him. Why not?
6. After Yakov's visitor leaves, the warden learns of the visit and interrogates Yakov again. What is the interrogation about?
7. According to the explanation he receives, what has happened to the item(s) missing from Yakov's cell?
8. Why is Yakov moved by the stories he reads about Jesus?
9. When Yakov sees Bibikov in one of his visions, what does Yakov imagine telling Bibikov?
10. When Yakov finally meets with his attorney, what is the bad news that the attorney tells to Yakov?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)