|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what group does Nikolai belong?
(a) The Black Knights.
(b) The Black Hundreds.
(c) The Black Panthers.
(d) The Black Renegades.
2. While Yakov is being interrogated, two men arrive at the interrogation room and are invited inside. Who are these men?
(a) The colonel and the priest.
(b) The warden and the priest.
(c) The prosecutor and the warden.
(d) The prosecutor and the colonel.
3. According to Proshko's testimony, how does Yakov set the fire he is accused of starting?
(b) Lighter fluid.
4. As Yakov reflects on his time with Raisl, how does he characterize their early life together?
(a) As happy and simple.
(b) As hard and simple.
(c) As happy and poor.
(d) As poor and hard.
5. As the days passed, the Russian officials kept waiting for Yakov to start something. What are they waiting for?
(a) Yakov's period.
(b) Yakov's madness.
(c) Yakov's prayers.
(d) Yakov's violence.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before going to join the running crowd, what does Yakov do?
2. To what prison does the prosecutor send Yakov while Yakov is awaiting trials?
3. In order to make Yakov appear like a Hasidic Jew, what does the Deputy Warden refuse to let Yakov do?
4. Who does Bibikov travel to see on Yakov's behalf in hopes of having Yakov's case dismissed?
5. What does Yakov use to keep track of the days in his cell?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Yakov sees Bibikov in one of his visions, what does Yakov imagine telling Bibikov?
2. After Yakov is discovered digging at the concrete and becomes despondent, he finally realizes something that the officials want. What do the officials want?
3. When Yakov is returned to prison and then meets with the prosecutor, the prosecutor offers him a deal. Why does Yakov refuse the prosecutor's deal?
4. Why does Yakov hate living in the Jewish neighborhood in Kiev?
5. After Yakov's visitor leaves, the warden learns of the visit and interrogates Yakov again. What is the interrogation about?
6. Why is Yakov uneasy in the days before his next prison visitor is set to arrive?
7. According to what Marfa has written, what should Yakov do in order for everything to be set right?
8. When spring arrives, a visitor comes to the prison to comfort Yakov. What does the visitor tell Yakov he must do in order to be released from the prison?
9. Why does Yakov debate returning the next day to the home of the person he found passed out in the snow?
10. What is Yakov reminded of as he wonders what might have happened if he simply had stayed in the shtetl?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)