|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does the boy's mother wait before she reports her son as missing?
(a) Three days.
(b) One day.
(c) Three hours.
(d) One week.
2. One month after his arrest, Yakov is taken from the original prison to another location with priests and secret police members in tow. Where is Yakov taken?
(a) To the factory.
(b) To the stables.
(c) To the synagogue.
(d) To his enemy's house.
3. To what group does Nikolai belong?
(a) The Black Panthers.
(b) The Black Hundreds.
(c) The Black Renegades.
(d) The Black Knights.
4. Before going to join the running crowd, what does Yakov do?
(a) Clean his plate.
(b) Call for the guard.
(c) Hide his money.
(d) Finish his prayer.
5. After fixing up the apartment, Nikolai offers Yakov another job. Where is the job located?
(a) At a shipyard.
(b) At a brickyard.
(c) At a trainyard.
(d) At a factory.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Yakov roams Kiev, what does he try to pick up from the people of Kiev?
2. Even though Yakov is desperately ill and not allowed access to the prison hospital, the prison doctor does tell him how to be cured. What is the doctor's advice?
3. When one of the guards takes pity on Yakov, what does Yakov suddenly have?
4. How much money does the boatman offer to ferry Yakov across the river?
5. According to what Proshko tells the secret police, what is Yakov responsible for?
Short Essay Questions
1. As winter nears, Yakov hopes to be indicted. Why?
2. When Yakov reaches the river, the boatman has to convince Yakov to accept the ferry ride. How does the boatman convince Yakov?
3. According to the prosecutor, what has the Tsar been notified to be on the alert for?
4. As Yakov shivers in his cell in deepest despair, how does he view himself in relationship to the Tsar?
5. Describe the scene from Yakov's childhood that gives him nightmares.
6. According to the explanation he receives, what has happened to the item(s) missing from Yakov's cell?
7. How does Yakov try to refute the priest's claims that Jews need blood?
8. Why is Yakov moved by the stories he reads about Jesus?
9. When spring arrives, a visitor comes to the prison to comfort Yakov. What does the visitor tell Yakov he must do in order to be released from the prison?
10. During an exercise recess, Yakov is told that the other prisoners do not like him. Why not?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)