|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what group does Nikolai belong?
(a) The Black Renegades.
(b) The Black Knights.
(c) The Black Panthers.
(d) The Black Hundreds.
2. Who discovers what Yakov is doing and confiscates his materials?
(b) The deputy warden.
3. One day during the dreary Russian winter, Yakov loses his cool in his cell. What does he do?
(a) Shred his clothing.
(b) Burn his blanket.
(c) Threaten the guards.
(d) Destroy his cot.
4. In Chapter 6, Part 4, what is the name of the guard who is on Yakov's side?
5. As Yakov runs around his cell screaming, who finally tells him to shut up?
(a) The deputy warden.
(c) The warden.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the original charge that the man in charge of the investigation will bring against Yakov?
2. What is the name of the secret police member who introduces himself to Yakov as the man in charge of the investigation?
3. What is the name of the guard who is comforted by Yakov's scripture readings?
4. What is the name of the woman Yakov married?
5. Where does Yakov pretend to be from when confronted by the boatman?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Zhenia's mother, why does she delay in reporting her son as missing?
2. According to Yakov's visitor in prison, why is he known as the "nameless Jew"?
3. Why is Yakov uneasy in the days before his next prison visitor is set to arrive?
4. When spring arrives, a visitor comes to the prison to comfort Yakov. Why does the visitor come?
5. How does Yakov try to refute the priest's claims that Jews need blood?
6. What does Yakov think about as he rides in the carriage to the courthouse?
7. Why is Yakov's visitor miserable living in the shtetl?
8. Why does Yakov steel himself to live instead of wanting to die?
9. When the prosecutor visits Yakov, what does he tell Yakov to have the Jews stop doing?
10. When Yakov is returned to prison and then meets with the prosecutor, the prosecutor offers him a lighter sentence in return for what?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)