|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who advises Yakov to stay in the village and not venture on to Kiev?
2. To what prison does the prosecutor send Yakov while Yakov is awaiting trials?
(a) Moscow prison.
(b) Warsaw prison.
(c) Kiev prison.
(d) Henrush prison.
3. As Yakov runs around his cell screaming, who finally tells him to shut up?
(b) The deputy warden.
(d) The warden.
4. As Yakov begins to think he's going mad, whose ghost does he see?
5. What is the original charge that the man in charge of the investigation will bring against Yakov?
(a) Child molestation.
(c) Lying under oath.
(d) Living in a non-Jewish neighborhood.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who begins to visit Yakov's cell in the middle of winter in order to obtain body samples?
2. What is the name of the secret police member who introduces himself to Yakov as the man in charge of the investigation?
3. What does Zhitnyak sneak into Yakov after his escape-from-boredom materials are confiscated?
4. According to the boy's mother, what does Zhenia see when he looks in Yakov's apartment?
5. As the story begins, where is Yakov Bok?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the later years of Yakov and Raisl's marriage.
2. When Yakov describes the things he takes pleasure in, what does he describe?
3. According to Yakov's attorney, why must the government find a way to prove Yakov's guilt?
4. Why does Yakov debate returning the next day to the home of the person he found passed out in the snow?
5. When spring arrives, a visitor comes to the prison to comfort Yakov. What does the visitor tell Yakov he must do in order to be released from the prison?
6. When Yakov finally meets with his attorney, what is the bad news that the attorney tells to Yakov?
7. Why is the Deputy Warden excited to learn of Yakov's escape-from-boredom activities?
8. According to the boatman who ferries Yakov across the river, how could all of Russia's problems be solved?
9. According to the explanation he receives, what has happened to the item(s) missing from Yakov's cell?
10. When Yakov is returned to his cell, he feels a certain kinship with two other men in his cell. What does Yakov think the men all have in common?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)