|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Even though Yakov is desperately ill and not allowed access to the prison hospital, the prison doctor does tell him how to be cured. What is the doctor's advice?
2. Where does the running crowd finally stop?
(a) At a church.
(b) At a burning house.
(c) At a cave.
(d) At a restaurant.
3. Before the secret police member leaves Yakov's cell, what does he leave behind with Yakov?
(a) A consent form.
(b) A confession form.
(c) A questionnaire.
(d) A Bible.
4. According to Proshko's testimony, how does Yakov set the fire he is accused of starting?
(a) Lighter fluid.
5. Who advises Yakov to stay in the village and not venture on to Kiev?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the prisoner who is arrested because he is holding a bunch of pamphlets?
2. After the winter finally ends, Yakov is desperate to relieve his boredom. What does Yakov do?
3. When Yakov happens upon an old injured Jewish man while returning from shopping, where does Yakov take the injured man?
4. When the author describes the wind rushing through Yakov's cell, what does he liken the wind to?
5. What does the fat man who shares his packages from the outside with the other prisoners offer to do for Yakov once the fat man is released from the prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Bibikov continues to question Yakov, Bibikov confesses that he is living in fear. Why?
2. Even though Yakov keeps track of the days, he's not completely sure he's right. Why not?
3. As winter nears, Yakov hopes to be indicted. Why?
4. Why is the Deputy Warden excited to learn of Yakov's escape-from-boredom activities?
5. Why is Yakov's visitor miserable living in the shtetl?
6. As Yakov imagines talking to the Tsar, how does Yakov answer the Tsar's question about whether Yakov has been taught anything by his suffering?
7. Why does the Deputy Warden's appearance frighten Yakov?
8. When Yakov is offered a pardon by the Tsar, why does Yakov refuse the pardon?
9. Why does the prisoner sent to talk to Yakov eventually end up apologizing to Yakov?
10. Why does Yakov debate returning the next day to the home of the person he found passed out in the snow?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)