|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Yakov pretend to be from when confronted by the boatman?
2. Where does Yakov first find Nikolai?
(a) In a snowbank.
(b) In an alley.
(c) In a hotel.
(d) In a bar.
3. What offense does Proshko accuse Yakov of when he gives his statement to the secret police?
(a) Smuggling drugs.
(b) Stealing from Nikolai.
(c) Helping the Jews.
(d) Murdering Nikolai's assistant.
4. What language is Yakov speaking exclusively since leaving the shtetl?
5. When one of the guards takes pity on Yakov, what does Yakov suddenly have?
(c) A new blanket.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the days passed, the Russian officials kept waiting for Yakov to start something. What are they waiting for?
2. With nothing to do in his cell, Yakov pieces together bits of something that he recites in his cell. What does he piece together?
3. How does Yakov react to Kiev?
4. After the winter finally ends, Yakov is desperate to relieve his boredom. What does Yakov do?
5. Even though Yakov is desperately ill and not allowed access to the prison hospital, the prison doctor does tell him how to be cured. What is the doctor's advice?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Yakov's visitor leaves, the warden learns of the visit and interrogates Yakov again. What is the interrogation about?
2. Based on the indictment the warden delivers to Yakov, why does Yakov think he may be freed when he finally goes to trial?
3. Looking back on his marriage to Raisl, why does Yakov now believe that it was a mistake to marry Raisl?
4. As winter nears, Yakov hopes to be indicted. Why?
5. As Yakov imagines talking to the Tsar, how does Yakov answer the Tsar's question about whether Yakov has been taught anything by his suffering?
6. After Yakov is discovered digging at the concrete and becomes despondent, he finally realizes something that the officials want. What do the officials want?
7. Why does Marfa accuse Yakov of running a smuggling trade route?
8. As Yakov is being prepared for his trial, why does a barber come and shave Yakov's head?
9. After refusing the pardon, Yakov decides that things are never truly as bad as they can get. Why does Yakov decide that?
10. When spring arrives, a visitor comes to the prison to comfort Yakov. What does the visitor tell Yakov he must do in order to be released from the prison?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)