|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Yakov envisions himself wresting with the Tsar, they continue to wrestle until the Tsar declares himself to be __________________.
(a) An angel of God.
(b) The winner.
(c) A demon from hell.
(d) All powerful.
2. What is the name of the woman Yakov married?
3. When the man in charge of the investigation denies Yakov's request for an attorney, what is Yakov told that he will need?
(a) A casket.
(b) A gun.
(c) A pen.
(d) The truth.
4. Where does the running crowd finally stop?
(a) At a restaurant.
(b) At a burning house.
(c) At a cave.
(d) At a church.
5. Even though Yakov is desperately ill and not allowed access to the prison hospital, the prison doctor does tell him how to be cured. What is the doctor's advice?
Short Answer Questions
1. While Yakov is being interrogated, two men arrive at the interrogation room and are invited inside. Who are these men?
2. Who advises Yakov to stay in the village and not venture on to Kiev?
3. What is the name of the prisoner sent to talk to Yakov?
4. After reading the indictment and the evidence against Yakov, what does the prosecutor also accuse Yakov of?
5. Before the secret police member leaves Yakov's cell, what does he leave behind with Yakov?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Yakov's chains are removed and he is waiting to meet with his new attorney, what is Yakov wondering about?
2. Describe the later years of Yakov and Raisl's marriage.
3. Why is Yakov's visitor miserable living in the shtetl?
4. According to the boatman who ferries Yakov across the river, how could all of Russia's problems be solved?
5. According to what Marfa has written, what should Yakov do in order for everything to be set right?
6. Why doesn't Yakov want the authorities to win if he should happen to die a "nameless Jew"?
7. When Yakov shares his story regarding why he is being held in prison, why do his cellmates beat him?
8. Why does Yakov hate living in the Jewish neighborhood in Kiev?
9. According to Yakov's attorney, why must the government find a way to prove Yakov's guilt?
10. Why does Yakov debate returning the next day to the home of the person he found passed out in the snow?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)