|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Yakov pretend to be from when confronted by the boatman?
2. What colors does Proshko say are the flames of the fire that Yakov is accused of setting?
(a) Yellow and green.
(b) Blue and yellow.
(c) Green and blue.
(d) Yellow and red.
3. As Yakov reflects on his time with Raisl, how does he characterize their early life together?
(a) As hard and simple.
(b) As poor and hard.
(c) As happy and simple.
(d) As happy and poor.
4. What is the local anti-Semite group called?
(a) The Black Panthers.
(b) The Black Hundreds.
(c) The Black Renegades.
(d) The Black Knights.
5. What does the guard who is comforted by Yakov's scripture readings refuse to give to Yakov?
(b) A pencil and paper.
(c) A blanket.
(d) A Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bibikov comes to the prison to question Yakov, who does Bibikov believe is actually responsible for Zhenia's murder?
2. How much money does Nikolai offer to Yakov if Yakov will fix up an apartment that Nikolai owns?
3. What is the name of the prisoner who is arrested because he is holding a bunch of pamphlets?
4. Before the secret police member leaves Yakov's cell, what does he leave behind with Yakov?
5. Who does the local anti-Semite group accuse of committing the murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Yakov moved by the stories he reads about Jesus?
2. When Yakov is returned to his cell, he feels a certain kinship with two other men in his cell. What does Yakov think the men all have in common?
3. Explain Bibikov's theory regarding Zhenia's murder.
4. When Yakov shares his story regarding why he is being held in prison, why do his cellmates beat him?
5. Why does Marfa accuse Yakov of running a smuggling trade route?
6. Describe the scene from Yakov's childhood that gives him nightmares.
7. Why does Yakov steel himself to live instead of wanting to die?
8. When Yakov describes the things he takes pleasure in, what does he describe?
9. Why does Yakov hate living in the Jewish neighborhood in Kiev?
10. According to Yakov's attorney, why must the government find a way to prove Yakov's guilt?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)