|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what group does Nikolai belong?
(a) The Black Renegades.
(b) The Black Knights.
(c) The Black Hundreds.
(d) The Black Panthers.
2. Even though Yakov is desperately ill and not allowed access to the prison hospital, the prison doctor does tell him how to be cured. What is the doctor's advice?
3. As Yakov reflects on his time with Raisl, how does he characterize their early life together?
(a) As hard and simple.
(b) As happy and simple.
(c) As poor and hard.
(d) As happy and poor.
4. After the prisoner sent to talk to Yakov tells him he is a murderer, what does the other prisoner do?
(a) He beats Yakov.
(b) He vilifies Yakov.
(c) He laughs at Yakov.
(d) He humiliates Yakov.
5. Who discovers what Yakov is doing and confiscates his materials?
(c) The deputy warden.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Yakov has his revelation as to the cause of his sickness, what does Yakov refuse to do?
2. After the winter finally ends, Yakov is desperate to relieve his boredom. What does Yakov do?
3. As Yakov is being transported to court for his indictment, what does he fantasize about while riding on the trolley?
4. What is the name of the guard who is comforted by Yakov's scripture readings?
5. When Yakov envisions himself wresting with the Tsar, they continue to wrestle until the Tsar declares himself to be __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the prosecutor, what has the Tsar been notified to be on the alert for?
2. Looking back on his marriage to Raisl, why does Yakov now believe that it was a mistake to marry Raisl?
3. As Yakov shivers in his cell in deepest despair, how does he view himself in relationship to the Tsar?
4. Based on the indictment the warden delivers to Yakov, why does Yakov think he may be freed when he finally goes to trial?
5. When Yakov becomes very sick and nauseous, why is he refused access to the prison hospital?
6. Why does Yakov hate living in the Jewish neighborhood in Kiev?
7. According to Yakov's attorney, why must the government find a way to prove Yakov's guilt?
8. Why doesn't Yakov want the authorities to win if he should happen to die a "nameless Jew"?
9. Why is Yakov uneasy in the days before his next prison visitor is set to arrive?
10. Why does Marfa accuse Yakov of running a smuggling trade route?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)