|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Yakov envisions himself wresting with the Tsar, they continue to wrestle until the Tsar declares himself to be __________________.
(a) A demon from hell.
(b) The winner.
(c) All powerful.
(d) An angel of God.
2. After reading the indictment and the evidence against Yakov, what does the prosecutor also accuse Yakov of?
(a) Confessing in his sleep.
(b) Beating his guard.
(c) Threatening the warden.
(d) Attempting to escape.
3. How long does the boy's mother wait before she reports her son as missing?
(a) One week.
(b) One day.
(c) Three hours.
(d) Three days.
4. When Yakov is being shown the officials' book, what do the officials point out in the book that resembles Yakov?
(a) A wizard.
(b) An ear curl.
(c) A nose.
(d) An earlobe.
5. Where does Yakov pretend to be from when confronted by the boatman?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zhitnyak sneak into Yakov after his escape-from-boredom materials are confiscated?
2. What is the sentence carried by the original charge that the man in charge of the investigation will bring against Yakov?
3. Each day, Yakov does recitations in his cell that the guards can overhear. What language does Yakov recite in?
4. As Yakov is being transported to court for his indictment, what does he fantasize about while riding on the trolley?
5. What language is Yakov speaking exclusively since leaving the shtetl?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Bibikov's theory regarding Zhenia's murder.
2. As Yakov is being prepared for his trial, why does a barber come and shave Yakov's head?
3. When Yakov is offered a pardon by the Tsar, why does Yakov refuse the pardon?
4. When Yakov is returned to his cell, he feels a certain kinship with two other men in his cell. What does Yakov think the men all have in common?
5. Describe the scene from Yakov's childhood that gives him nightmares.
6. According to Zhenia's mother, why does she delay in reporting her son as missing?
7. When Yakov sees Bibikov in one of his visions, what does Yakov imagine telling Bibikov?
8. What does Yakov think about as he rides in the carriage to the courthouse?
9. Why does Yakov debate returning the next day to the home of the person he found passed out in the snow?
10. When Yakov finally meets with his attorney, what is the bad news that the attorney tells to Yakov?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)