|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Yakov is taken back to prison, he is shown a book that some of the officials are developing. What is the book's topic?
(a) Jewish evil magic spells.
(b) Jewish psychological games.
(c) Jewish prayers and customs.
(d) Jewish physical characteristics.
2. When Yakov is taken to the infirmary, who does he learn has been shot for disobeying a guard?
3. What is the sentence carried by the original charge that the man in charge of the investigation will bring against Yakov?
(a) Three months in prison.
(b) One year in prison.
(c) One month in prison.
(d) Three years in prison.
4. While Yakov is being interrogated, two men arrive at the interrogation room and are invited inside. Who are these men?
(a) The prosecutor and the warden.
(b) The warden and the priest.
(c) The prosecutor and the colonel.
(d) The colonel and the priest.
5. One night, Yakov wakes up from a nightmare and realizes why he is so sick. Why?
(a) He is continually chilled.
(b) He is being poisoned.
(c) He is being tested.
(d) He is dying.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who discovers what Yakov is doing and confiscates his materials?
2. How long does the boy's mother wait before she reports her son as missing?
3. When Yakov envisions himself wresting with the Tsar, they continue to wrestle until the Tsar declares himself to be __________________.
4. What is the local anti-Semite group called?
5. As Chapter 6, Part 5 begins, Yakov is thinking through all of the things he studied before he was incarcerated. What is he NOT thinking about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Yakov hate living in the Jewish neighborhood in Kiev?
2. Describe the scene from Yakov's childhood that gives him nightmares.
3. Describe the later years of Yakov and Raisl's marriage.
4. Why do the officials decide not to charge Yakov with sexual assault based on Zina's official testimony?
5. When Yakov is returned to prison and then meets with the prosecutor, the prosecutor offers him a deal. Why does Yakov refuse the prosecutor's deal?
6. When Yakov tells his visitor that he is being held in jail because he lied about his papers, how does the visitor respond?
7. When Yakov is offered a pardon by the Tsar, why does Yakov refuse the pardon?
8. When Yakov reads the propaganda circulating against the Jews, why does he grow uneasy?
9. When Yakov sees Bibikov in one of his visions, what does Yakov imagine telling Bibikov?
10. Why doesn't Yakov want the authorities to win if he should happen to die a "nameless Jew"?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)