|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When one of the guards takes pity on Yakov, what does Yakov suddenly have?
(b) A new blanket.
2. While Yakov is being interrogated, two men arrive at the interrogation room and are invited inside. Who are these men?
(a) The warden and the priest.
(b) The colonel and the priest.
(c) The prosecutor and the colonel.
(d) The prosecutor and the warden.
3. What is the name of the prisoner who is arrested because he is holding a bunch of pamphlets?
4. When the author describes the wind rushing through Yakov's cell, what does he liken the wind to?
(a) An evil bird.
(b) A cold finger.
(c) An evil curse.
(d) A rushing torrent.
5. What is Yakov given in order that he can have something to do?
(a) A broken radio.
(b) A broom.
(c) A ball.
(d) A pencil and paper.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Yakov pretend to be from when confronted by the boatman?
2. How long is Yakov in solitary confinement before Bibikov comes to question him again?
3. What is the name of the secret society that the prosecutor accuses Yakov of belonging to?
4. The boy's mother identifies Yakov as the man who chased her son. What does she say Yakov was chasing her son with?
5. What does the fat man who shares his packages from the outside with the other prisoners offer to do for Yakov once the fat man is released from the prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Yakov is returned to his cell, he feels a certain kinship with two other men in his cell. What does Yakov think the men all have in common?
2. When spring arrives, a visitor comes to the prison to comfort Yakov. What does the visitor tell Yakov he must do in order to be released from the prison?
3. As Yakov imagines talking to the Tsar, how does Yakov answer the Tsar's question about whether Yakov has been taught anything by his suffering?
4. When Yakov finally meets with his attorney, what is the bad news that the attorney tells to Yakov?
5. When Yakov reaches the river, the boatman has to convince Yakov to accept the ferry ride. How does the boatman convince Yakov?
6. When Yakov is offered a pardon by the Tsar, why does Yakov refuse the pardon?
7. Describe the later years of Yakov and Raisl's marriage.
8. Why is Yakov's visitor miserable living in the shtetl?
9. Why does Yakov hate living in the Jewish neighborhood in Kiev?
10. Describe the scene from Yakov's childhood that gives him nightmares.
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)