|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the fat man who shares his packages from the outside with the other prisoners offer to do for Yakov once the fat man is released from the prison?
(a) Pay for an attorney.
(b) Send for help.
(c) Smuggle in drugs.
(d) Mail a letter.
2. What is the original charge that the man in charge of the investigation will bring against Yakov?
(a) Lying under oath.
(b) Living in a non-Jewish neighborhood.
(c) Child molestation.
3. How long does the boy's mother wait before she reports her son as missing?
(a) Three days.
(b) One week.
(c) One day.
(d) Three hours.
4. While Yakov is being interrogated, two men arrive at the interrogation room and are invited inside. Who are these men?
(a) The colonel and the priest.
(b) The prosecutor and the warden.
(c) The prosecutor and the colonel.
(d) The warden and the priest.
5. What is the local anti-Semite group called?
(a) The Black Renegades.
(b) The Black Hundreds.
(c) The Black Knights.
(d) The Black Panthers.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bibikov comes to the prison to question Yakov, who does Bibikov believe is actually Yakov's greatest enemy?
2. After the winter finally ends, Yakov is desperate to relieve his boredom. What does Yakov do?
3. Who performs the total body and cavity searches that Yakov is subjected to?
4. What does Yakov use to keep track of the days in his cell?
5. One month after his arrest, Yakov is taken from the original prison to another location with priests and secret police members in tow. Where is Yakov taken?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Yakov is returned to prison and then meets with the prosecutor, the prosecutor offers him a lighter sentence in return for what?
2. When Yakov sees Bibikov in one of his visions, what does Yakov imagine telling Bibikov?
3. Even though Yakov keeps track of the days, he's not completely sure he's right. Why not?
4. Why does Yakov steel himself to live instead of wanting to die?
5. Why is Yakov's visitor miserable living in the shtetl?
6. Why does Yakov debate returning the next day to the home of the person he found passed out in the snow?
7. Looking back on his marriage to Raisl, why does Yakov now believe that it was a mistake to marry Raisl?
8. During an exercise recess, Yakov is told that the other prisoners do not like him. Why not?
9. As the man in charge of the investigation questions Yakov, why does Yakov begin to feign ignorance and not answer the man's questions?
10. Why does Yakov hate living in the Jewish neighborhood in Kiev?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)