|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the boy's mother, what does Zhenia see when he looks in Yakov's apartment?
(a) Bottles of blood.
(b) A cache of weapons.
(c) Robes of a rabbi.
(d) Piles of money.
2. What does the guard who is comforted by Yakov's scripture readings refuse to give to Yakov?
(a) A pencil and paper.
(c) A Bible.
(d) A blanket.
3. When the author describes the wind rushing through Yakov's cell, what does he liken the wind to?
(a) A cold finger.
(b) A rushing torrent.
(c) An evil curse.
(d) An evil bird.
4. According to the boy's mother, what does Zhenia want to be when he grows up?
(a) A businessman.
(b) A priest.
(c) A policeman.
(d) A rabbi.
5. What is the original charge that the man in charge of the investigation will bring against Yakov?
(b) Living in a non-Jewish neighborhood.
(c) Lying under oath.
(d) Child molestation.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Yakov reflects on his time with Raisl, what does Yakov remember convincing Raisl is okay?
2. Back in his cell after the indictment farce in court, what does Yakov compare his scenario to?
3. Where does the running crowd finally stop?
4. Who advises Yakov to stay in the village and not venture on to Kiev?
5. What is the sentence carried by the original charge that the man in charge of the investigation will bring against Yakov?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Yakov's chains are removed and he is waiting to meet with his new attorney, what is Yakov wondering about?
2. Why is Yakov's visitor miserable living in the shtetl?
3. According to the boatman who ferries Yakov across the river, how could all of Russia's problems be solved?
4. What is Yakov reminded of as he wonders what might have happened if he simply had stayed in the shtetl?
5. Even though Yakov is desperately ill and is not allowed access to the prison hospital, Yakov is relieved. Why?
6. As the man in charge of the investigation questions Yakov, why does Yakov begin to feign ignorance and not answer the man's questions?
7. How does Yakov try to refute the priest's claims that Jews need blood?
8. When Yakov shares his story regarding why he is being held in prison, why do his cellmates beat him?
9. Explain Bibikov's theory regarding Zhenia's murder.
10. As Bibikov continues to question Yakov, Bibikov confesses that he is living in fear. Why?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)