|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Yakov reflects on his time with Raisl, what does Yakov remember convincing Raisl is okay?
(a) Teasing the rabbi.
(b) Skipping synagogue.
(c) Premarital sex.
(d) Missing evening prayers.
2. As Yakov begins to think he's going mad, whose ghost does he see?
3. With nothing to do in his cell, Yakov pieces together bits of something that he recites in his cell. What does he piece together?
4. When Bibikov comes to the prison to question Yakov, who does Bibikov believe is actually Yakov's greatest enemy?
(a) The prosecutor.
(b) The colonel.
(c) The warden.
(d) The head guard.
5. As Yakov runs around his cell screaming, who finally tells him to shut up?
(a) The warden.
(b) The deputy warden.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the boy's mother, what does Zhenia see when he looks in Yakov's apartment?
2. How much money does the boatman offer to ferry Yakov across the river?
3. What does Raisl always beg Yakov to do?
4. When Yakov happens upon an old injured Jewish man while returning from shopping, where does Yakov take the injured man?
5. After Yakov has his revelation as to the cause of his sickness, what does Yakov refuse to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Yakov becomes very sick and nauseous, why is he refused access to the prison hospital?
2. Even though Yakov keeps track of the days, he's not completely sure he's right. Why not?
3. When Yakov is returned to prison and then meets with the prosecutor, the prosecutor offers him a lighter sentence in return for what?
4. As Yakov's hallucinations become regular, what does he have trouble figuring out?
5. As winter nears, Yakov hopes to be indicted. Why?
6. When Yakov finally meets with his attorney, what is the bad news that the attorney tells to Yakov?
7. According to Yakov's attorney, why must the government find a way to prove Yakov's guilt?
8. After Yakov's visitor leaves, the warden learns of the visit and interrogates Yakov again. What is the interrogation about?
9. When Yakov is returned to his cell, he feels a certain kinship with two other men in his cell. What does Yakov think the men all have in common?
10. When Yakov is returned to prison and then meets with the prosecutor, the prosecutor offers him a deal. Why does Yakov refuse the prosecutor's deal?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)