|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Yakov meets with his attorney, his attorney tells Yakov that someone has died. Who?
2. Sitting in his cell, someone begins talking to Yakov through his cell door. Who begins to talk to Yakov?
3. When the warden brings Yakov a new indictment, what is Yakov being charged as?
(a) A child molester.
(b) A Hasidic Jew.
(c) A ritual murderer.
(d) An embezzler.
4. What is the name of the new attorney that will represent Yakov during the trial?
5. What happens when Yakov's carriage arrives outside of the courthouse?
(a) The crowd riots.
(b) A sniper kills Yakov.
(c) The crowd cheers for Yakov.
(d) A bomb explodes.
6. As Yakov envisions talking with the Tsar, what does Yakov imagine himself doing?
(a) Beating the Tsar.
(b) Shooting the Tsar.
(c) Arresting the Tsar.
(d) Berating the Tsar.
7. What does Yakov's new attorney warn Yakov to do while they await the trial?
(a) Prepare to win.
(b) Speak to no one.
(c) Regain his strength.
(d) Walk on eggshells.
8. At night, Yakov has dreams of Shmuel. In his dreams, where is Shmuel?
(a) In a coffin.
(b) In the next cell.
(c) In the synagogue.
(d) In the shtetl.
9. What is on the pages that Yakov has been given?
(a) Food stains.
(c) Fecal material.
10. As Yakov envisions talking with the Tsar, what is one topic the two men do NOT discuss?
(d) The power of gossip.
11. Through what she sends to Yakov in prison, Marfa admits she had Yakov followed. Who does she have follow Yakov?
12. How many times does Yakov's new attorney visit him in prison?
13. How is Yakov feeling when he arrives at the courthouse?
14. Who does Yakov see during his frequent hallucinations while in his cell?
15. What are the papers sent in with Yakov's visitor?
(a) A newspaper account.
(b) A confession.
(c) A new indictment.
(d) A plan of defense.
Short Answer Questions
1. One day, Yakov awakens in his cell to find his possessions there, but something is missing. What is missing?
2. Who comes to Yakov's cell to announce the trial?
3. One day, Yakov receives something from Marfa. What is it?
4. When the guards discover Yakov digging at the concrete holding his chains in place, what do they find when they search his cell?
5. Through what she sends to Yakov in prison, what does Marfa urge Yakov to do?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)