|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has Yakov's visitor in Chapter 8, Part 4 been begging to see him?
(a) Over three months.
(b) Over six months.
(c) Over one year.
(d) Over nine months.
2. What is the name of Yakov's replacement guard?
3. Which of Yakov's behaviors in prison does the new indictment describe?
(a) His exercise habits.
(b) His sleeping habits.
(c) His eating habits.
(d) His worship habits.
4. As Yakov envisions talking with the Tsar, what is one topic the two men do NOT discuss?
(c) The power of gossip.
5. What is on the pages that Yakov has been given?
(b) Food stains.
(d) Fecal material.
6. With what does the prosecutor threaten Yakov while the two men are meeting?
(a) A body cavity search.
(b) A Jewish massacre.
(c) New charges being added.
(d) A trial postponement.
7. What happens when Yakov's carriage arrives outside of the courthouse?
(a) The crowd riots.
(b) A bomb explodes.
(c) The crowd cheers for Yakov.
(d) A sniper kills Yakov.
8. Sitting in his cell, someone begins talking to Yakov through his cell door. Who begins to talk to Yakov?
9. Who comes to Yakov's cell to announce the trial?
(a) The warden.
(b) The prosecutor.
(c) Yakov's attorney.
(d) The deputy warden.
10. According to new facts that are being learned about Zhenia's death, who is being further implicated in Zhenia's death?
11. By the time a man enters Yakov's cell and offers him a pardon, how long has Yakov been imprisoned?
(a) Thirty months.
(b) Eighteen months.
(c) Two years.
(d) Three years.
12. As the attorney prepares to leave, he informs Yakov that another man will act as Yakov's attorney during the trial because the government is accusing him of something. What is the government accusing the attorney meeting with Yakov of?
(b) Fostering revolution.
13. When a newspaper writer reports all the factual details of the case, what does the government do?
(a) Shot the reporter.
(b) Burned the newspaper.
(c) Shut down the newspaper.
(d) Imprisoned the reporter.
14. When the warden learns of the unauthorized prison visit Yakov was allowed, who is arrested?
15. When the warden brings Yakov a new indictment, what is Yakov being charged as?
(a) A ritual murderer.
(b) An embezzler.
(c) A child molester.
(d) A Hasidic Jew.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Yakov's visitor runs screaming from his cell and material is confiscated from Yakov, what is he given in return?
2. After reading the indictment, how does Yakov feel?
3. How does Yakov react to the prosecutor's threats?
4. When the guards discover Yakov digging at the concrete holding his chains in place, what do they find when they search his cell?
5. What does Yakov see during his frequent hallucinations while in his cell?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)