|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the envelope containing the papers brought to Yakov by his visitor, he writes a message. What language is the message on the envelope in?
2. What happens when Yakov's carriage arrives outside of the courthouse?
(a) The crowd cheers for Yakov.
(b) A bomb explodes.
(c) A sniper kills Yakov.
(d) The crowd riots.
3. After he begins blacking out, who does Yakov find himself thinking of often?
4. When the guards discover Yakov digging at the concrete holding his chains in place, what do they find when they search his cell?
(a) A knife.
(b) A calendar.
(c) A needle.
(d) A book.
5. How long has Yakov's visitor in Chapter 8, Part 4 been begging to see him?
(a) Over one year.
(b) Over three months.
(c) Over nine months.
(d) Over six months.
6. What does the person speaking to Yakov through his cell door offer to Yakov?
7. One day, Yakov receives something from Marfa. What is it?
(a) A letter.
(b) Account information.
(c) A signed confession.
(d) A statement.
8. Before departing for his trial, what does Yakov throw at the deputy warden?
(a) His prayer shawl.
(b) His undershirt.
(c) His spoon.
(d) His Old Testament pages.
9. What does Yakov use to dig at the concrete holding his chains in place?
(a) A shoe.
(b) A spoon.
(c) A knife.
(d) A needle.
10. What is the name of the new attorney that will represent Yakov during the trial?
11. After his cell is searched in Chapter 7, Part 2, Yakov becomes despondent. What does Yakov find pleasure in thinking about?
12. As Yakov envisions talking with the Tsar, what is one topic the two men do NOT discuss?
(d) The power of gossip.
13. What name does Yakov mention that causes the prosecutor to angrily leave Yakov's cell?
14. After Yakov's visitor runs screaming from his cell, what is confiscated from Yakov?
(a) His prayer shawl.
(b) His Torah.
(c) His New Testament.
(d) The phylacteries.
15. As Yakov envisions talking with the Tsar, what does Yakov imagine himself doing?
(a) Berating the Tsar.
(b) Beating the Tsar.
(c) Shooting the Tsar.
(d) Arresting the Tsar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yakov's new attorney warn Yakov to do while they await the trial?
2. Since he no longer is keeping track of the days, what does Yakov spend his time doing?
3. After Yakov's visitor tells him what is required in order for Yakov do be released from prison, how does Yakov respond?
4. Yakov begins thinking many evil thoughts after he stops keeping track of the days. Who does Yakov think evil thoughts about?
5. After Yakov's visitor runs screaming from his cell, Yakov is searched again. How many times has Yakov already been searched that day?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)