|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the warden finally delivers Yakov's indictment, how does Yakov describe the indictment?
(a) As dangerous.
(b) As truthful.
(c) As fantastical.
(d) As fiction.
2. As the attorney prepares to leave, he informs Yakov that another man will act as Yakov's attorney during the trial because the government is accusing him of something. What is the government accusing the attorney meeting with Yakov of?
(c) Fostering revolution.
3. When Yakov meets with his attorney, his attorney tells Yakov that someone has died. Who?
4. What does the person speaking to Yakov through his cell door offer to Yakov?
5. Why does Yakov refuse to eat?
(a) He is afraid.
(b) He is being poisoned.
(c) He is fasting.
(d) He is not hungry.
6. After reading the indictment, how does Yakov feel?
7. What is the name of Yakov's attorney?
8. After Yakov's visitor runs screaming from his cell and material is confiscated from Yakov, what is he given in return?
(a) Some Orthodox Jewish dogma.
(b) Some Old Testament pages.
(c) Some newspaper clippings.
(d) Some cookbook recipes.
9. As Yakov envisions talking with the Tsar, what is one topic the two men do NOT discuss?
(b) The power of gossip.
10. What is omitted from the indictment that surprises Yakov?
(a) The statement from Marfa.
(b) The ritual murder information.
(c) The interrogation report.
(d) The magical wounds information.
11. Yakov's visitor hands papers to Yakov during their visit. Who sends the papers with Yakov's visitor?
(a) The rabbi.
(b) The warden.
(c) The defense attorney.
(d) The prosecutor.
12. In the new indictment brought to Yakov by the warden, what has been removed?
(a) Nikolai's statement.
(b) Marfa's rantings.
(c) The smuggling story.
(d) The molestation tale.
13. How does Yakov react to the prosecutor's threats?
(a) Yakov calmly asks for a trial.
(b) Yakov punches the prosecutor.
(c) Yakov screams at the prosecutor.
(d) Yakov throws the prosecutor out of his cell.
14. What name does Yakov mention that causes the prosecutor to angrily leave Yakov's cell?
15. As Yakov prepares to go to trial, what does he see in his visions?
(a) Dead soldiers.
(b) Dead prisoners.
(c) Dead rats.
(d) Dead horses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yakov invite the prosecutor to do during their meeting?
2. Who does Yakov see during his frequent hallucinations while in his cell?
3. At night, Yakov has dreams of Shmuel. In his dreams, where is Shmuel?
4. While the visitor and Yakov are together in Chapter 7, Part 6, what does the visitor scold Yakov for?
5. What are the papers sent in with Yakov's visitor?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)