|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is omitted from the indictment that surprises Yakov?
(a) The magical wounds information.
(b) The interrogation report.
(c) The ritual murder information.
(d) The statement from Marfa.
2. Who ends up being able to visit Yakov in prison because he or she sold beets to the right person?
3. When the warden finally delivers Yakov's indictment, how does Yakov describe the indictment?
(a) As truthful.
(b) As dangerous.
(c) As fantastical.
(d) As fiction.
4. After receiving the new indictment, Yakov sees a newspaper headline on the papers brought to him as toilet tissue. What does the headline read?
(a) "The Trial of the Century."
(b) "The Jew is Doomed."
(c) "The Trial Starts Next Week."
(d) "The Jew is Named."
5. As Chapter 8, Part 4 gets underway, who is coming to visit Yakov in prison?
(d) The Tsar.
6. What does Yakov's new attorney warn Yakov to do while they await the trial?
(a) Walk on eggshells.
(b) Speak to no one.
(c) Prepare to win.
(d) Regain his strength.
7. After Yakov's visitor runs screaming from his cell, what is confiscated from Yakov?
(a) His Torah.
(b) His New Testament.
(c) His prayer shawl.
(d) The phylacteries.
8. After Yakov's visitor runs screaming from his cell and material is confiscated from Yakov, what is he given in return?
(a) Some Orthodox Jewish dogma.
(b) Some cookbook recipes.
(c) Some newspaper clippings.
(d) Some Old Testament pages.
9. What do the guards do when Yakov refuses the pardon he is offered?
(a) Pour urine on his head.
(b) Refuse to feed him.
(c) Refuse to light the stove.
(d) Chain him to the bed.
10. According to Marfa's information, who does the current theory insist put Yakov up to the crime?
(a) Christian leaders.
(b) Jewish leaders.
(c) Muslim leaders.
(d) Islamic leaders.
11. What is the name of Yakov's replacement guard?
12. At night, Yakov has dreams of Shmuel. In his dreams, where is Shmuel?
(a) In the next cell.
(b) In the synagogue.
(c) In a coffin.
(d) In the shtetl.
13. After Yakov's visitor runs screaming from his cell, Yakov is searched again. How many times has Yakov already been searched that day?
14. What does Yakov use to dig at the concrete holding his chains in place?
(a) A shoe.
(b) A spoon.
(c) A needle.
(d) A knife.
15. What happens when Yakov's carriage arrives outside of the courthouse?
(a) A sniper kills Yakov.
(b) A bomb explodes.
(c) The crowd riots.
(d) The crowd cheers for Yakov.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is on the pages that Yakov has been given?
2. After his cell is searched in Chapter 7, Part 2, Yakov becomes despondent. What does Yakov find pleasure in thinking about?
3. When the guards discover Yakov digging at the concrete holding his chains in place, what do they find when they search his cell?
4. According to the indictment, how many wounds are on Zhenia?
5. When a newspaper writer reports all the factual details of the case, what does the government do?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)