|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Yakov's visions, who is responsible for the murders he sees?
(a) The Black Renegades.
(b) The Black Knights.
(c) The Black Hundreds.
(d) The Black Panthers.
2. After receiving the information from Marfa, what is Yakov's initial reaction?
3. After the warden delivers the indictment to Yakov, Yakov reads for a while, then has to put the papers down. When he picks them up again, what does Yakov briefly consider asking Kogin for?
(a) A Bible.
(b) A dictionary.
(c) A pen.
(d) A candle.
4. Through what she sends to Yakov in prison, what does Marfa urge Yakov to do?
5. On the envelope containing the papers brought to Yakov by his visitor, he writes a message. What language is the message on the envelope in?
6. After Yakov's visitor runs screaming from his cell, what is confiscated from Yakov?
(a) His Torah.
(b) His prayer shawl.
(c) His New Testament.
(d) The phylacteries.
7. After reading the indictment, how does Yakov feel?
8. What does Yakov use to dig at the concrete holding his chains in place?
(a) A shoe.
(b) A knife.
(c) A spoon.
(d) A needle.
9. After he begins blacking out, what does Yakov find comfort in?
(a) The book of Hosea.
(b) The book of Proverbs.
(c) The book of Job.
(d) The book of Psalms.
10. One day, Yakov awakens in his cell to find his possessions there, but something is missing. What is missing?
(a) His furniture.
(b) His blanket.
(c) His clothing.
(d) His stove.
11. When the warden finally delivers Yakov's indictment, how does Yakov describe the indictment?
(a) As truthful.
(b) As dangerous.
(c) As fantastical.
(d) As fiction.
12. Whose death does Yakov tell his new attorney about?
(a) Zhenia's death.
(b) Bibikov's death.
(c) Zhitnyak's death.
(d) Shmuel's death.
13. What does Yakov see during his frequent hallucinations while in his cell?
(a) Dead farm animals.
(b) Dead ducks.
(c) Dead bodies.
(d) Dead neighbors.
14. By the time a man enters Yakov's cell and offers him a pardon, how long has Yakov been imprisoned?
(a) Three years.
(b) Thirty months.
(c) Eighteen months.
(d) Two years.
15. Since he no longer is keeping track of the days, what does Yakov spend his time doing?
(a) Re-reading his New Testament pages.
(b) Re-reading his newspaper clippings.
(c) Re-reading his Jewish dogma.
(d) Re-reading his Old Testament pages.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Yakov envisions talking with the Tsar, what is one topic the two men do NOT discuss?
2. After Yakov's visitor tells him what is required in order for Yakov do be released from prison, how does Yakov respond?
3. In the new indictment brought to Yakov by the warden, what has been removed?
4. What does Yakov do when he blacks out?
5. How long has Yakov's visitor in Chapter 8, Part 4 been begging to see him?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)