|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When a newspaper writer reports all the factual details of the case, what does the government do?
(a) Burned the newspaper.
(b) Shut down the newspaper.
(c) Imprisoned the reporter.
(d) Shot the reporter.
2. By the time a man enters Yakov's cell and offers him a pardon, how long has Yakov been imprisoned?
(a) Eighteen months.
(b) Three years.
(c) Two years.
(d) Thirty months.
3. After Yakov's visitor runs screaming from his cell and material is confiscated from Yakov, what is he given in return?
(a) Some newspaper clippings.
(b) Some Orthodox Jewish dogma.
(c) Some cookbook recipes.
(d) Some Old Testament pages.
4. As Yakov envisions talking with the Tsar, what does Yakov accuse the Tsar of?
(a) Evil plots.
(b) Inciting riots.
(c) Faking evidence.
(d) Hate crimes.
5. According to new facts that are being learned about Zhenia's death, who is being further implicated in Zhenia's death?
6. Through what she sends to Yakov in prison, Marfa admits she had Yakov followed. Who does she have follow Yakov?
7. According to Marfa's information, who does the current theory insist put Yakov up to the crime?
(a) Jewish leaders.
(b) Christian leaders.
(c) Muslim leaders.
(d) Islamic leaders.
8. At night, Yakov has dreams of Shmuel. In his dreams, where is Shmuel?
(a) In the synagogue.
(b) In the next cell.
(c) In a coffin.
(d) In the shtetl.
9. As the attorney prepares to leave, he informs Yakov that another man will act as Yakov's attorney during the trial because the government is accusing him of something. What is the government accusing the attorney meeting with Yakov of?
(a) Fostering revolution.
10. What are the papers sent in with Yakov's visitor?
(a) A confession.
(b) A newspaper account.
(c) A plan of defense.
(d) A new indictment.
11. Which of Yakov's behaviors in prison does the new indictment describe?
(a) His worship habits.
(b) His exercise habits.
(c) His eating habits.
(d) His sleeping habits.
12. One day, Yakov awakens in his cell to find his possessions there, but something is missing. What is missing?
(a) His clothing.
(b) His stove.
(c) His furniture.
(d) His blanket.
13. Yakov's visitor hands papers to Yakov during their visit. Who sends the papers with Yakov's visitor?
(a) The warden.
(b) The defense attorney.
(c) The prosecutor.
(d) The rabbi.
14. One day, Yakov receives something from Marfa. What is it?
(a) A signed confession.
(b) A letter.
(c) Account information.
(d) A statement.
15. After receiving the new indictment, Yakov sees a newspaper headline on the papers brought to him as toilet tissue. What does the headline read?
(a) "The Trial Starts Next Week."
(b) "The Jew is Named."
(c) "The Trial of the Century."
(d) "The Jew is Doomed."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yakov invite the prosecutor to do during their meeting?
2. Whose death does Yakov tell his new attorney about?
3. What is the name of Yakov's attorney?
4. As Yakov envisions talking with the Tsar, what does Yakov imagine himself doing?
5. What is the name of the new attorney that will represent Yakov during the trial?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)