|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the person visiting Yakov sell beets to?
(a) Zhitnyak's brother.
(b) Zhitnyak's father.
(c) Zhitnyak's cousin.
(d) Zhitnyak's uncle.
2. At night, Yakov has dreams of Shmuel. In his dreams, where is Shmuel?
(a) In a coffin.
(b) In the next cell.
(c) In the synagogue.
(d) In the shtetl.
3. After he begins blacking out, what does Yakov find comfort in?
(a) The book of Job.
(b) The book of Psalms.
(c) The book of Proverbs.
(d) The book of Hosea.
4. According to the indictment, how many wounds are on Zhenia?
5. Yakov's visitor hands papers to Yakov during their visit. Who sends the papers with Yakov's visitor?
(a) The rabbi.
(b) The defense attorney.
(c) The warden.
(d) The prosecutor.
6. Through what she sends to Yakov in prison, what new crime does Marfa accuse Yakov of?
7. Since he no longer is keeping track of the days, what does Yakov spend his time doing?
(a) Re-reading his Jewish dogma.
(b) Re-reading his newspaper clippings.
(c) Re-reading his New Testament pages.
(d) Re-reading his Old Testament pages.
8. How many times does Yakov's new attorney visit him in prison?
9. When the guards discover Yakov digging at the concrete holding his chains in place, what do they find when they search his cell?
(a) A book.
(b) A calendar.
(c) A needle.
(d) A knife.
10. What does Yakov invite the prosecutor to do during their meeting?
(a) Try his best.
(b) Shoot Yakov.
(c) Leave Yakov's cell.
(d) Set Yakov free.
11. What is omitted from the indictment that surprises Yakov?
(a) The ritual murder information.
(b) The magical wounds information.
(c) The statement from Marfa.
(d) The interrogation report.
12. Through what she sends to Yakov in prison, what does Marfa urge Yakov to do?
13. What does Yakov's new attorney warn Yakov to do while they await the trial?
(a) Speak to no one.
(b) Regain his strength.
(c) Prepare to win.
(d) Walk on eggshells.
14. After he begins blacking out, who does Yakov find himself thinking of often?
15. With what does the prosecutor threaten Yakov while the two men are meeting?
(a) A trial postponement.
(b) A Jewish massacre.
(c) New charges being added.
(d) A body cavity search.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ends up being able to visit Yakov in prison because he or she sold beets to the right person?
2. After receiving the information from Marfa, what is Yakov's initial reaction?
3. On the envelope containing the papers brought to Yakov by his visitor, he writes a message. What language is the message on the envelope in?
4. As the attorney prepares to leave, he informs Yakov that another man will act as Yakov's attorney during the trial because the government is accusing him of something. What is the government accusing the attorney meeting with Yakov of?
5. Where does the person visiting Yakov encourage Yakov to look for salvation?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)