|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the guards discover Yakov digging at the concrete holding his chains in place, what do they find when they search his cell?
(a) A book.
(b) A needle.
(c) A knife.
(d) A calendar.
2. At night, Yakov has dreams of Shmuel. In his dreams, where is Shmuel?
(a) In the next cell.
(b) In a coffin.
(c) In the synagogue.
(d) In the shtetl.
3. When Yakov throws something at the deputy warden, what does the deputy warden say that Yakov's act allows the deputy warden to do?
(a) Send Yakov to solitary confinement.
(b) Shoot Yakov.
(c) Whip Yakov.
(d) Search Yakov.
4. When the deputy warden tries to punish Yakov for throwing the item at him, who sticks up for Yakov?
(a) The warden.
5. As Yakov envisions talking with the Tsar, what is one topic the two men do NOT discuss?
(a) The power of gossip.
6. When Yakov and his visitor in Chapter 8, Part 4 first see each other, what do they do?
7. Yakov's visitor hands papers to Yakov during their visit. Who sends the papers with Yakov's visitor?
(a) The prosecutor.
(b) The defense attorney.
(c) The warden.
(d) The rabbi.
8. According to new facts that are being learned about Zhenia's death, who is being further implicated in Zhenia's death?
9. What is omitted from the indictment that surprises Yakov?
(a) The ritual murder information.
(b) The magical wounds information.
(c) The interrogation report.
(d) The statement from Marfa.
10. After he begins blacking out, what does Yakov find comfort in?
(a) The book of Job.
(b) The book of Proverbs.
(c) The book of Psalms.
(d) The book of Hosea.
11. What does Yakov's reading in Chapter 7, Part 3 do to his temperament?
(a) Excite Yakov.
(b) Depress Yakov.
(c) Fuel Yakov's rage.
(d) Fuel Yakov's curiosity.
12. On the envelope containing the papers brought to Yakov by his visitor, he writes a message. What language is the message on the envelope in?
13. When is the next time the prosecutor comes to visit Yakov?
(a) In the middle of dinner.
(b) In the middle of the night.
(c) In the middle of the day.
(d) In the middle of winter.
14. What is the name of Yakov's attorney?
15. Who ends up being able to visit Yakov in prison because he or she sold beets to the right person?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the person visiting Yakov encourage Yakov to look for salvation?
2. According to Marfa's information, who does the current theory insist put Yakov up to the crime?
3. While the visitor and Yakov are together in Chapter 7, Part 6, what does the visitor scold Yakov for?
4. After receiving the new indictment, Yakov sees a newspaper headline on the papers brought to him as toilet tissue. What does the headline read?
5. As the attorney prepares to leave, he informs Yakov that another man will act as Yakov's attorney during the trial because the government is accusing him of something. What is the government accusing the attorney meeting with Yakov of?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)