|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One day, Yakov receives something from Marfa. What is it?
(a) A signed confession.
(b) A statement.
(c) Account information.
(d) A letter.
2. As Yakov envisions talking with the Tsar, what does Yakov accuse the Tsar of?
(a) Inciting riots.
(b) Faking evidence.
(c) Hate crimes.
(d) Evil plots.
3. When the warden learns of the unauthorized prison visit Yakov was allowed, who is arrested?
4. According to the indictment, how many wounds are on Zhenia?
5. What does Yakov invite the prosecutor to do during their meeting?
(a) Shoot Yakov.
(b) Try his best.
(c) Set Yakov free.
(d) Leave Yakov's cell.
6. Why does the attorney believe that they have a chance to win at trial?
(a) The case against Yakov is unproven.
(b) Witnesses can't lie.
(c) The facts are conclusive.
(d) There will be a jury.
7. What happens as Yakov is pacing his cell after his new attorney departs?
(a) Yakov's legs swell.
(b) Yakov faints.
(c) Yakov screams.
(d) Yakov cuts his chains loose.
8. Yakov's visitor hands papers to Yakov during their visit. Who sends the papers with Yakov's visitor?
(a) The warden.
(b) The rabbi.
(c) The prosecutor.
(d) The defense attorney.
9. What does the person speaking to Yakov through his cell door share with Yakov about the speaker's son?
(a) He has become a father.
(b) He has been married.
(c) He has been arrested.
(d) He has been tried.
10. Before departing for his trial, what does Yakov throw at the deputy warden?
(a) His Old Testament pages.
(b) His undershirt.
(c) His prayer shawl.
(d) His spoon.
11. What is the name of the new attorney that will represent Yakov during the trial?
12. Whose arrest and interrogation is included as a long section in the indictment?
13. As the story ends, what does Yakov conclude?
(a) Fairness is worth fighting for.
(b) Liberty is worth fighting for.
(c) The truth is worth fighting for.
(d) Religion is worth fighting for.
14. While the visitor and Yakov are together, what story do the two men argue about?
15. Who ends up being able to visit Yakov in prison because he or she sold beets to the right person?
Short Answer Questions
1. When a newspaper writer reports all the factual details of the case, what does the government do?
2. By the time a man enters Yakov's cell and offers him a pardon, how long has Yakov been imprisoned?
3. Who comes to Yakov's cell to announce the trial?
4. Since he no longer is keeping track of the days, what does Yakov spend his time doing?
5. In Yakov's visions, who is responsible for the murders he sees?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)