|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Yakov's visions, who is responsible for the murders he sees?
(a) The Black Hundreds.
(b) The Black Panthers.
(c) The Black Knights.
(d) The Black Renegades.
2. Since he no longer is keeping track of the days, what does Yakov spend his time doing?
(a) Re-reading his New Testament pages.
(b) Re-reading his Jewish dogma.
(c) Re-reading his newspaper clippings.
(d) Re-reading his Old Testament pages.
3. After Yakov's visitor runs screaming from his cell and material is confiscated from Yakov, what is he given in return?
(a) Some Old Testament pages.
(b) Some Orthodox Jewish dogma.
(c) Some newspaper clippings.
(d) Some cookbook recipes.
4. What happens when Yakov's carriage arrives outside of the courthouse?
(a) A sniper kills Yakov.
(b) The crowd cheers for Yakov.
(c) A bomb explodes.
(d) The crowd riots.
5. How does Yakov react to the prosecutor's threats?
(a) Yakov punches the prosecutor.
(b) Yakov throws the prosecutor out of his cell.
(c) Yakov calmly asks for a trial.
(d) Yakov screams at the prosecutor.
6. After reading the indictment, how does Yakov feel?
7. In Yakov's visions, whom does he imagine himself having conversations with?
(a) The colonel.
(b) The prosecutor.
(c) The Tsar.
(d) The warden.
8. While the visitor and Yakov are together in Chapter 7, Part 6, what does the visitor scold Yakov for?
9. When Yakov and his visitor in Chapter 8, Part 4 first see each other, what do they do?
10. When Yakov throws something at the deputy warden, what does the deputy warden say that Yakov's act allows the deputy warden to do?
(a) Shoot Yakov.
(b) Whip Yakov.
(c) Send Yakov to solitary confinement.
(d) Search Yakov.
11. When spring arrives, who comes to the prison to comfort Yakov?
(b) A rabbi.
(d) A priest.
12. As Yakov envisions talking with the Tsar, what does Yakov imagine himself doing?
(a) Berating the Tsar.
(b) Shooting the Tsar.
(c) Arresting the Tsar.
(d) Beating the Tsar.
13. While the visitor and Yakov are together, what story do the two men argue about?
14. When the warden brings Yakov a new indictment, what is Yakov being charged as?
(a) A ritual murderer.
(b) A child molester.
(c) An embezzler.
(d) A Hasidic Jew.
15. Why does the attorney believe that they have a chance to win at trial?
(a) Witnesses can't lie.
(b) The case against Yakov is unproven.
(c) There will be a jury.
(d) The facts are conclusive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Yakov begins thinking many evil thoughts after he stops keeping track of the days. Who does Yakov think evil thoughts about?
2. Why does Yakov refuse to eat?
3. Whose death does Yakov tell his new attorney about?
4. As Yakov envisions talking with the Tsar, what is one topic the two men do NOT discuss?
5. As Yakov is preparing to leave for his trial, what does the deputy warden insist must happen before Yakov leaves?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)