|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yakov use to dig at the concrete holding his chains in place?
(a) A needle.
(b) A shoe.
(c) A knife.
(d) A spoon.
2. In Yakov's visions, whom does he imagine himself having conversations with?
(a) The warden.
(b) The prosecutor.
(c) The colonel.
(d) The Tsar.
3. Whose death does Yakov tell his new attorney about?
(a) Zhitnyak's death.
(b) Zhenia's death.
(c) Shmuel's death.
(d) Bibikov's death.
4. How does Yakov's new guard periodically amuse himself?
(a) By refusing to feed Yakov.
(b) By yelling insults at Yakov.
(c) By pretending to shoot Yakov.
(d) By throwing onions at Yakov.
5. As the story ends, what does Yakov conclude?
(a) The truth is worth fighting for.
(b) Liberty is worth fighting for.
(c) Religion is worth fighting for.
(d) Fairness is worth fighting for.
6. On the envelope containing the papers brought to Yakov by his visitor, he writes a message. What language is the message on the envelope in?
7. As Yakov envisions talking with the Tsar, what does Yakov accuse the Tsar of?
(a) Inciting riots.
(b) Hate crimes.
(c) Evil plots.
(d) Faking evidence.
8. After Yakov's visitor runs screaming from his cell, Yakov is searched again. How many times has Yakov already been searched that day?
9. Before departing for his trial, what does Yakov throw at the deputy warden?
(a) His prayer shawl.
(b) His spoon.
(c) His undershirt.
(d) His Old Testament pages.
10. When the guards discover Yakov digging at the concrete holding his chains in place, what do they find when they search his cell?
(a) A needle.
(b) A book.
(c) A knife.
(d) A calendar.
11. What is omitted from the indictment that surprises Yakov?
(a) The interrogation report.
(b) The statement from Marfa.
(c) The magical wounds information.
(d) The ritual murder information.
12. Who does Yakov turn to for an explanation about the missing item?
13. What is on the pages that Yakov has been given?
(a) Fecal material.
(c) Food stains.
14. What does Yakov's new attorney warn Yakov to do while they await the trial?
(a) Prepare to win.
(b) Speak to no one.
(c) Walk on eggshells.
(d) Regain his strength.
15. When the warden finally delivers Yakov's indictment, how does Yakov describe the indictment?
(a) As fantastical.
(b) As fiction.
(c) As dangerous.
(d) As truthful.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yakov invite the prosecutor to do during their meeting?
2. What happens when Yakov's carriage arrives outside of the courthouse?
3. How does Yakov react to the prosecutor's threats?
4. When the deputy warden tries to punish Yakov for throwing the item at him, who sticks up for Yakov?
5. When Yakov meets with his attorney, his attorney tells Yakov that someone has died. Who?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)