|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the deputy warden tries to punish Yakov for throwing the item at him, who sticks up for Yakov?
(a) The warden.
2. When the warden finally delivers Yakov's indictment, how does Yakov describe the indictment?
(a) As dangerous.
(b) As fantastical.
(c) As fiction.
(d) As truthful.
3. What does the person speaking to Yakov through his cell door share with Yakov about the speaker's son?
(a) He has been arrested.
(b) He has become a father.
(c) He has been married.
(d) He has been tried.
4. One day, Yakov receives something from Marfa. What is it?
(a) A signed confession.
(b) Account information.
(c) A statement.
(d) A letter.
5. Yakov begins thinking many evil thoughts after he stops keeping track of the days. Who does Yakov think evil thoughts about?
(a) The warden.
(b) The Tsar.
(c) The prosecutor.
(d) The deputy warden.
6. After receiving the information from Marfa, what is Yakov's initial reaction?
7. After receiving the new indictment, Yakov sees a newspaper headline on the papers brought to him as toilet tissue. What does the headline read?
(a) "The Trial of the Century."
(b) "The Jew is Named."
(c) "The Trial Starts Next Week."
(d) "The Jew is Doomed."
8. Who does Yakov see during his frequent hallucinations while in his cell?
9. While the visitor and Yakov are together, what story do the two men argue about?
10. What are the papers sent in with Yakov's visitor?
(a) A confession.
(b) A plan of defense.
(c) A new indictment.
(d) A newspaper account.
11. Whose arrest and interrogation is included as a long section in the indictment?
12. In the new indictment brought to Yakov by the warden, what has been removed?
(a) Marfa's rantings.
(b) The molestation tale.
(c) The smuggling story.
(d) Nikolai's statement.
13. When spring arrives, who comes to the prison to comfort Yakov?
(b) A rabbi.
(d) A priest.
14. While the visitor and Yakov are together in Chapter 7, Part 6, what does the visitor scold Yakov for?
15. Through what she sends to Yakov in prison, Marfa admits she had Yakov followed. Who does she have follow Yakov?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens as Yakov is pacing his cell after his new attorney departs?
2. Which of Yakov's behaviors in prison does the new indictment describe?
3. Who does the person visiting Yakov sell beets to?
4. As Yakov prepares to go to trial, what does he see in his visions?
5. After Yakov's visitor runs screaming from his cell and material is confiscated from Yakov, what is he given in return?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)