|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One day, Yakov receives something from Marfa. What is it?
(a) A statement.
(b) A signed confession.
(c) Account information.
(d) A letter.
2. Since he no longer is keeping track of the days, what does Yakov spend his time doing?
(a) Re-reading his Old Testament pages.
(b) Re-reading his New Testament pages.
(c) Re-reading his Jewish dogma.
(d) Re-reading his newspaper clippings.
3. After Yakov's visitor runs screaming from his cell, Yakov is searched again. How many times has Yakov already been searched that day?
4. Whose death does Yakov tell his new attorney about?
(a) Zhitnyak's death.
(b) Shmuel's death.
(c) Bibikov's death.
(d) Zhenia's death.
5. When a newspaper writer reports all the factual details of the case, what does the government do?
(a) Burned the newspaper.
(b) Shut down the newspaper.
(c) Imprisoned the reporter.
(d) Shot the reporter.
6. What do the guards do when Yakov refuses the pardon he is offered?
(a) Refuse to light the stove.
(b) Chain him to the bed.
(c) Refuse to feed him.
(d) Pour urine on his head.
7. How does Yakov react to the prosecutor's threats?
(a) Yakov punches the prosecutor.
(b) Yakov screams at the prosecutor.
(c) Yakov throws the prosecutor out of his cell.
(d) Yakov calmly asks for a trial.
8. Yakov begins thinking many evil thoughts after he stops keeping track of the days. Who does Yakov think evil thoughts about?
(a) The Tsar.
(b) The deputy warden.
(c) The warden.
(d) The prosecutor.
9. For what does the prosecutor scold Yakov while the two men are meeting?
10. As Yakov is preparing to leave for his trial, what does the deputy warden insist must happen before Yakov leaves?
(a) His cell search.
(b) His daily breakfast.
(c) His cavity search.
(d) His daily beating.
11. When Yakov throws something at the deputy warden, what does the deputy warden say that Yakov's act allows the deputy warden to do?
(a) Shoot Yakov.
(b) Whip Yakov.
(c) Send Yakov to solitary confinement.
(d) Search Yakov.
12. Through what she sends to Yakov in prison, what does Marfa urge Yakov to do?
13. After receiving the information from Marfa, what is Yakov's initial reaction?
14. What does Yakov's reading in Chapter 7, Part 3 do to his temperament?
(a) Depress Yakov.
(b) Fuel Yakov's rage.
(c) Excite Yakov.
(d) Fuel Yakov's curiosity.
15. What happens when Yakov's carriage arrives outside of the courthouse?
(a) A bomb explodes.
(b) The crowd riots.
(c) A sniper kills Yakov.
(d) The crowd cheers for Yakov.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Yakov's visions, whom does he imagine himself having conversations with?
2. After the warden learns of Yakov's prison visit, Yakov spends his days shackled to _____________.
3. When spring arrives, who comes to the prison to comfort Yakov?
4. Before departing for his trial, what does Yakov throw at the deputy warden?
5. When Yakov meets with his attorney, his attorney tells Yakov that someone has died. Who?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)