|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the warden delivers the indictment to Yakov, Yakov reads for a while, then has to put the papers down. When he picks them up again, what does Yakov briefly consider asking Kogin for?
(a) A dictionary.
(b) A candle.
(c) A pen.
(d) A Bible.
2. When the deputy warden tries to punish Yakov for throwing the item at him, who sticks up for Yakov?
(b) The warden.
3. What does Yakov use to dig at the concrete holding his chains in place?
(a) A needle.
(b) A knife.
(c) A shoe.
(d) A spoon.
4. What does Yakov's new attorney warn Yakov to do while they await the trial?
(a) Regain his strength.
(b) Speak to no one.
(c) Walk on eggshells.
(d) Prepare to win.
5. Through what she sends to Yakov in prison, what does Marfa urge Yakov to do?
6. What does Yakov invite the prosecutor to do during their meeting?
(a) Set Yakov free.
(b) Leave Yakov's cell.
(c) Try his best.
(d) Shoot Yakov.
7. What name does Yakov mention that causes the prosecutor to angrily leave Yakov's cell?
8. While the visitor and Yakov are together, what story do the two men argue about?
9. Who ends up being able to visit Yakov in prison because he or she sold beets to the right person?
10. What do the guards do when Yakov refuses the pardon he is offered?
(a) Refuse to light the stove.
(b) Refuse to feed him.
(c) Chain him to the bed.
(d) Pour urine on his head.
11. After Yakov's visitor tells him what is required in order for Yakov do be released from prison, how does Yakov respond?
(a) He questions the visitor's motives.
(b) He insists the visitor leave his cell.
(c) He threatens the visitor.
(d) He puts on the prayer shawl.
12. Before departing for his trial, what does Yakov throw at the deputy warden?
(a) His undershirt.
(b) His Old Testament pages.
(c) His prayer shawl.
(d) His spoon.
13. As Yakov is preparing to leave for his trial, what does the deputy warden insist must happen before Yakov leaves?
(a) His daily breakfast.
(b) His daily beating.
(c) His cell search.
(d) His cavity search.
14. On the envelope containing the papers brought to Yakov by his visitor, he writes a message. What language is the message on the envelope in?
15. As Yakov prepares to go to trial, what does he see in his visions?
(a) Dead rats.
(b) Dead soldiers.
(c) Dead prisoners.
(d) Dead horses.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the new indictment brought to Yakov by the warden, what has been removed?
2. As Chapter 8, Part 4 gets underway, who is coming to visit Yakov in prison?
3. When spring arrives, who comes to the prison to comfort Yakov?
4. How is Yakov feeling when he arrives at the courthouse?
5. Who does Yakov see during his frequent hallucinations while in his cell?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)