|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Yakov envisions talking with the Tsar, what does Yakov accuse the Tsar of?
(a) Faking evidence.
(b) Evil plots.
(c) Hate crimes.
(d) Inciting riots.
2. What does the person speaking to Yakov through his cell door offer to Yakov?
3. When Yakov throws something at the deputy warden, what does the deputy warden say that Yakov's act allows the deputy warden to do?
(a) Search Yakov.
(b) Whip Yakov.
(c) Send Yakov to solitary confinement.
(d) Shoot Yakov.
4. Through what she sends to Yakov in prison, what does Marfa urge Yakov to do?
5. What does Yakov invite the prosecutor to do during their meeting?
(a) Shoot Yakov.
(b) Set Yakov free.
(c) Leave Yakov's cell.
(d) Try his best.
6. With what does the prosecutor threaten Yakov while the two men are meeting?
(a) A Jewish massacre.
(b) New charges being added.
(c) A body cavity search.
(d) A trial postponement.
7. Yakov begins thinking many evil thoughts after he stops keeping track of the days. Who does Yakov think evil thoughts about?
(a) The deputy warden.
(b) The prosecutor.
(c) The warden.
(d) The Tsar.
8. After reading the indictment, how does Yakov feel?
9. In the new indictment brought to Yakov by the warden, what has been removed?
(a) Marfa's rantings.
(b) The smuggling story.
(c) Nikolai's statement.
(d) The molestation tale.
10. What happens as Yakov is pacing his cell after his new attorney departs?
(a) Yakov cuts his chains loose.
(b) Yakov screams.
(c) Yakov faints.
(d) Yakov's legs swell.
11. Who finally confirms that Yakov is the "nameless Jew" arrested in Kiev to the people in the shtetl?
12. Yakov's visitor hands papers to Yakov during their visit. Who sends the papers with Yakov's visitor?
(a) The warden.
(b) The defense attorney.
(c) The rabbi.
(d) The prosecutor.
13. After Yakov's visitor runs screaming from his cell and material is confiscated from Yakov, what is he given in return?
(a) Some cookbook recipes.
(b) Some Old Testament pages.
(c) Some newspaper clippings.
(d) Some Orthodox Jewish dogma.
14. According to new facts that are being learned about Zhenia's death, who is being further implicated in Zhenia's death?
15. What is the name of Yakov's replacement guard?
Short Answer Questions
1. After he begins blacking out, what does Yakov find comfort in?
2. When the guards discover Yakov digging at the concrete holding his chains in place, what do they find when they search his cell?
3. What does the person speaking to Yakov through his cell door share with Yakov about the speaker's son?
4. One day, Yakov receives something from Marfa. What is it?
5. As Yakov is preparing to leave for his trial, what does the deputy warden insist must happen before Yakov leaves?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)