|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Yakov is taken to the infirmary, who does he learn has been shot for disobeying a guard?
2. What does Raisl always beg Yakov to do?
(a) Accept her father.
(b) Move to Kiev.
(c) Have children.
(d) Flee Russia.
3. When the author describes the wind rushing through Yakov's cell, what does he liken the wind to?
(a) A cold finger.
(b) An evil curse.
(c) An evil bird.
(d) A rushing torrent.
4. What is the original charge that the man in charge of the investigation will bring against Yakov?
(a) Child molestation.
(b) Living in a non-Jewish neighborhood.
(d) Lying under oath.
5. What is the name of the prisoner who is arrested because he is holding a bunch of pamphlets?
6. When one of the guards takes pity on Yakov, what does Yakov suddenly have?
(c) A new blanket.
7. According to the boy's mother, what does Zhenia want to be when he grows up?
(a) A priest.
(b) A businessman.
(c) A policeman.
(d) A rabbi.
8. Who advises Yakov to stay in the village and not venture on to Kiev?
9. Back in his cell after the indictment farce in court, what does Yakov compare his scenario to?
(a) An evil curse.
(b) A bad talisman.
(d) A black horse.
10. What is the name of the woman Yakov married?
11. Who discovers what Yakov is doing and confiscates his materials?
(a) The deputy warden.
12. After the prisoner sent to talk to Yakov tells him he is a murderer, what does the other prisoner do?
(a) He laughs at Yakov.
(b) He humiliates Yakov.
(c) He beats Yakov.
(d) He vilifies Yakov.
13. What is the local anti-Semite group called?
(a) The Black Renegades.
(b) The Black Panthers.
(c) The Black Knights.
(d) The Black Hundreds.
14. What is the name of the secret society that the prosecutor accuses Yakov of belonging to?
(a) The Jewish Klan.
(b) The Black Hundreds.
(c) The Black Panthers.
(d) The Jewish Kahal.
15. Where does Yakov pretend to be from when confronted by the boatman?
Short Answer Questions
1. As Yakov reflects on his time with Raisl, what does Yakov remember convincing Raisl is okay?
2. As Yakov reflects on his time with Raisl, how does he characterize their early life together?
3. According to the prosecutor's theory, why does Yakov kill Zhenia?
4. What does Yakov decide not to reveal to the boatman?
5. When Yakov is being shown the officials' book, what do the officials point out in the book that resembles Yakov?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)