|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yakov use to keep track of the days in his cell?
(a) Hash marks.
(b) Rocks and nails.
(c) Pen and paper.
(d) Sticks and splinters.
2. What is the name of the woman Yakov married?
3. When Bibikov apologizes for the poor treatment Yakov is receiving, Yakov asks for only one thing. What is it?
(a) A pair of pants.
(b) A loaf of bread.
(c) A pair of shoes.
(d) A new blanket.
4. Who advises Yakov to stay in the village and not venture on to Kiev?
5. What is the name of the fat man who shares his packages from the outside with the other prisoners?
6. What is the mother's name of the boy Yakov is accused of killing?
7. What does the guard who is comforted by Yakov's scripture readings refuse to give to Yakov?
(a) A blanket.
(b) A Bible.
(c) A pencil and paper.
8. Who performs the total body and cavity searches that Yakov is subjected to?
(a) The warden.
(b) The head guard.
(c) The deputy warden.
(d) The colonel.
9. When the author describes the wind rushing through Yakov's cell, what does he liken the wind to?
(a) A cold finger.
(b) A rushing torrent.
(c) An evil bird.
(d) An evil curse.
10. According to the prosecutor in the courtroom, what punishment is Yakov facing?
(a) A lifetime in solitary confinement.
(b) Twenty-five years in prison.
(c) Ten years of hard labor.
(d) The death penalty.
11. Where does the running crowd finally stop?
(a) At a restaurant.
(b) At a cave.
(c) At a burning house.
(d) At a church.
12. What is the name of the prisoner who is arrested because he is holding a bunch of pamphlets?
13. According to the boy's mother, what does Zhenia see when he looks in Yakov's apartment?
(a) Bottles of blood.
(b) A cache of weapons.
(c) Robes of a rabbi.
(d) Piles of money.
14. As Yakov runs around his cell screaming, who finally tells him to shut up?
(a) The deputy warden.
(b) The warden.
15. What language is Yakov speaking exclusively since leaving the shtetl?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Nikolai offers Yakov another position after Yakov fixes up the apartment, what is the position that Nikolai offers to Yakov?
2. After fixing up the apartment, Nikolai offers Yakov another job. Where is the job located?
3. According to the boy's mother, what does Zhenia want to be when he grows up?
4. How long is Yakov in solitary confinement before Bibikov comes to question him again?
5. One night, Yakov wakes up from a nightmare and realizes why he is so sick. Why?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)