|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Even though Yakov is desperately ill and not allowed access to the prison hospital, the prison doctor does tell him how to be cured. What is the doctor's advice?
2. In Chapter 6, Part 4, what is the name of the guard who is on Yakov's side?
3. What does Yakov use to keep track of the days in his cell?
(a) Sticks and splinters.
(b) Rocks and nails.
(c) Hash marks.
(d) Pen and paper.
4. One month after his arrest, Yakov is taken from the original prison to another location with priests and secret police members in tow. Where is Yakov taken?
(a) To the factory.
(b) To his enemy's house.
(c) To the synagogue.
(d) To the stables.
5. What is the name of the prisoner who is arrested because he is holding a bunch of pamphlets?
6. After reading the indictment and the evidence against Yakov, what does the prosecutor also accuse Yakov of?
(a) Confessing in his sleep.
(b) Attempting to escape.
(c) Beating his guard.
(d) Threatening the warden.
7. Who does Bibikov travel to see on Yakov's behalf in hopes of having Yakov's case dismissed?
(a) The Minister of Law.
(b) The Minister of State.
(c) The Minister of Defense.
(d) The Minister of Justice.
8. According to the prosecutor's theory, why does Yakov kill Zhenia?
(a) To hide Yakov's true identity.
(b) To prevent Zhenia from going to the authorities.
(c) For something to do.
(d) For ritual purposes.
9. When Yakov is being shown the officials' book, what do the officials point out in the book that resembles Yakov?
(a) A nose.
(b) An ear curl.
(c) An earlobe.
(d) A wizard.
10. Where does the running crowd finally stop?
(a) At a church.
(b) At a restaurant.
(c) At a burning house.
(d) At a cave.
11. When Bibikov apologizes for the poor treatment Yakov is receiving, Yakov asks for only one thing. What is it?
(a) A new blanket.
(b) A pair of pants.
(c) A pair of shoes.
(d) A loaf of bread.
12. What is the mother's name of the boy Yakov is accused of killing?
13. Each day, Yakov does recitations in his cell that the guards can overhear. What language does Yakov recite in?
14. Who discovers what Yakov is doing and confiscates his materials?
(c) The deputy warden.
15. What is the name of the fat man who shares his packages from the outside with the other prisoners?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the secret police member who introduces himself to Yakov as the man in charge of the investigation?
2. As Yakov reflects on his time with Raisl, how does he characterize their early life together?
3. One night, Yakov wakes up from a nightmare and realizes why he is so sick. Why?
4. When Yakov is taken back to prison, he is shown a book that some of the officials are developing. What is the book's topic?
5. What offense does Proshko accuse Yakov of when he gives his statement to the secret police?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)