|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the story begins, where is Yakov Bok?
(a) In temple.
(b) In his kitchen.
(c) In his bedroom.
(d) In prison.
2. Who advises Yakov to stay in the village and not venture on to Kiev?
3. What is the original charge that the man in charge of the investigation will bring against Yakov?
(a) Child molestation.
(b) Lying under oath.
(c) Living in a non-Jewish neighborhood.
4. After Yakov has his revelation as to the cause of his sickness, what does Yakov refuse to do?
5. According to the boy's mother, what does Zhenia see when he looks in Yakov's apartment?
(a) Robes of a rabbi.
(b) A cache of weapons.
(c) Piles of money.
(d) Bottles of blood.
6. How long is Yakov in solitary confinement before Bibikov comes to question him again?
(a) Twelve hours.
(b) Three days.
(c) Eight days.
(d) One week.
7. What language is Yakov speaking exclusively since leaving the shtetl?
8. Even though Yakov is desperately ill and not allowed access to the prison hospital, the prison doctor does tell him how to be cured. What is the doctor's advice?
9. What is the name of the guard who is comforted by Yakov's scripture readings?
10. One month after his arrest, Yakov is taken from the original prison to another location with priests and secret police members in tow. Where is Yakov taken?
(a) To the factory.
(b) To the stables.
(c) To the synagogue.
(d) To his enemy's house.
11. Where does the running crowd finally stop?
(a) At a cave.
(b) At a church.
(c) At a burning house.
(d) At a restaurant.
12. Before the secret police member leaves Yakov's cell, what does he leave behind with Yakov?
(a) A consent form.
(b) A Bible.
(c) A confession form.
(d) A questionnaire.
13. Who does the local anti-Semite group accuse of committing the murder?
(a) A Jew.
(b) A Muslim.
(c) A Hindu.
(d) A Christian.
14. When the author describes the wind rushing through Yakov's cell, what does he liken the wind to?
(a) An evil bird.
(b) A rushing torrent.
(c) An evil curse.
(d) A cold finger.
15. Back in his cell after the indictment farce in court, what does Yakov compare his scenario to?
(a) A bad talisman.
(b) A black horse.
(c) An evil curse.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Yakov reflects on his time with Raisl, how does he characterize their early life together?
2. To what group does Nikolai belong?
3. Who discovers what Yakov is doing and confiscates his materials?
4. The boy's mother identifies Yakov as the man who chased her son. What does she say Yakov was chasing her son with?
5. When Bibikov comes to the prison to question Yakov, who does Bibikov believe is actually responsible for Zhenia's murder?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)