|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Yakov, what does he believe the boy saw in Yakov's apartment?
(a) His bathrobe.
(b) Raspberry jam.
(c) Monopoly money.
(d) A gun catalog.
2. What language is Yakov speaking exclusively since leaving the shtetl?
3. What colors does Proshko say are the flames of the fire that Yakov is accused of setting?
(a) Yellow and green.
(b) Yellow and red.
(c) Green and blue.
(d) Blue and yellow.
4. According to what Proshko tells the secret police, what is Yakov responsible for?
(a) Burning down his enemy's house.
(b) Burning down the stables.
(c) Burning down the synagogue.
(d) Burning down the factory.
5. While sitting in his cell reflecting on his circumstances, what does Yakov liken being Jewish to?
(a) A curse.
(b) A blessing.
(c) A family.
(d) A burden.
6. What is the name of the woman Yakov married?
7. When Bibikov apologizes for the poor treatment Yakov is receiving, Yakov asks for only one thing. What is it?
(a) A pair of pants.
(b) A pair of shoes.
(c) A new blanket.
(d) A loaf of bread.
8. How much money does Nikolai offer to Yakov if Yakov will fix up an apartment that Nikolai owns?
(a) 60 rubles.
(b) 25 rubles.
(c) 40 rubles.
(d) 100 rubles.
9. As Yakov begins to think he's going mad, whose ghost does he see?
10. Who begins to visit Yakov's cell in the middle of winter in order to obtain body samples?
(a) The deputy warden.
(b) The colonel.
(c) The warden.
(d) The head guard.
11. To what group does Nikolai belong?
(a) The Black Renegades.
(b) The Black Hundreds.
(c) The Black Knights.
(d) The Black Panthers.
12. Where does Yakov first find Nikolai?
(a) In a hotel.
(b) In an alley.
(c) In a bar.
(d) In a snowbank.
13. Even though Yakov is desperately ill and not allowed access to the prison hospital, the prison doctor does tell him how to be cured. What is the doctor's advice?
14. When one of the guards takes pity on Yakov, what does Yakov suddenly have?
(b) A new blanket.
15. When Yakov envisions himself wresting with the Tsar, they continue to wrestle until the Tsar declares himself to be __________________.
(a) The winner.
(b) All powerful.
(c) An angel of God.
(d) A demon from hell.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Yakov reflects on his time with Raisl, how does he characterize their early life together?
2. When the man in charge of the investigation denies Yakov's request for an attorney, what is Yakov told that he will need?
3. Who is the first person to bring firewood to Yakov's cell?
4. Back in his cell after the indictment farce in court, what does Yakov compare his scenario to?
5. What is the mother's name of the boy Yakov is accused of killing?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)