|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who advises Yakov to stay in the village and not venture on to Kiev?
2. What does Zhitnyak sneak into Yakov after his escape-from-boredom materials are confiscated?
(a) A New Testament.
(b) A Koran.
(c) A newspaper.
(d) A Torah.
3. What does the crowd see when the people finally stop running?
(a) A murdered woman.
(b) A murdered dog.
(c) A murdered child.
(d) A murdered man.
4. Who performs the total body and cavity searches that Yakov is subjected to?
(a) The warden.
(b) The colonel.
(c) The head guard.
(d) The deputy warden.
5. When Yakov envisions himself wresting with the Tsar, they continue to wrestle until the Tsar declares himself to be __________________.
(a) The winner.
(b) A demon from hell.
(c) All powerful.
(d) An angel of God.
6. Back in his cell after the indictment farce in court, what does Yakov compare his scenario to?
(b) An evil curse.
(c) A black horse.
(d) A bad talisman.
7. Where does Yakov pretend to be from when confronted by the boatman?
8. When a drunken guard accidentally leaves Yakov's cell door unlocked, Yakov ventures out and comes upon a hanged man. Who is the man?
9. Before the secret police member leaves Yakov's cell, what does he leave behind with Yakov?
(a) A consent form.
(b) A questionnaire.
(c) A Bible.
(d) A confession form.
10. The boy's mother identifies Yakov as the man who chased her son. What does she say Yakov was chasing her son with?
(a) A knife.
(b) A brick.
(c) A bat.
(d) A gun.
11. What does the guard who is comforted by Yakov's scripture readings refuse to give to Yakov?
(b) A blanket.
(c) A Bible.
(d) A pencil and paper.
12. What language is Yakov speaking exclusively since leaving the shtetl?
13. One month after his arrest, Yakov is taken from the original prison to another location with priests and secret police members in tow. Where is Yakov taken?
(a) To the synagogue.
(b) To the factory.
(c) To his enemy's house.
(d) To the stables.
14. What does Yakov decide not to reveal to the boatman?
(a) That he is Jewish.
(b) That he is royalty.
(c) That he is Russian.
(d) That he has money.
15. What is the name of the prisoner sent to talk to Yakov?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Yakov is taken to the infirmary, who does he learn has been shot for disobeying a guard?
2. When one of the guards takes pity on Yakov, what does Yakov suddenly have?
3. Where does the running crowd finally stop?
4. Who is the first person to bring firewood to Yakov's cell?
5. According to the boy's mother, what does Zhenia see when he looks in Yakov's apartment?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)