|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does the boy's mother wait before she reports her son as missing?
(a) One day.
(b) Three hours.
(c) One week.
(d) Three days.
2. What is the name of the woman Yakov married?
3. Who advises Yakov to stay in the village and not venture on to Kiev?
4. Back in his cell after the indictment farce in court, what does Yakov compare his scenario to?
(a) An evil curse.
(b) A black horse.
(c) A bad talisman.
5. What is the name of the prisoner sent to talk to Yakov?
6. When Yakov is taken back to prison, he is shown a book that some of the officials are developing. What is the book's topic?
(a) Jewish physical characteristics.
(b) Jewish psychological games.
(c) Jewish evil magic spells.
(d) Jewish prayers and customs.
7. Where does Yakov first find Nikolai?
(a) In a hotel.
(b) In a bar.
(c) In an alley.
(d) In a snowbank.
8. Who is the first person to bring firewood to Yakov's cell?
(a) The Minister of Justice.
(b) The warden.
(c) The deputy warden.
(d) The colonel.
9. One day during the dreary Russian winter, Yakov loses his cool in his cell. What does he do?
(a) Destroy his cot.
(b) Shred his clothing.
(c) Burn his blanket.
(d) Threaten the guards.
10. After fixing up the apartment, Nikolai offers Yakov another job. Where is the job located?
(a) At a shipyard.
(b) At a factory.
(c) At a trainyard.
(d) At a brickyard.
11. One month after his arrest, Yakov is taken from the original prison to another location with priests and secret police members in tow. Where is Yakov taken?
(a) To the factory.
(b) To his enemy's house.
(c) To the stables.
(d) To the synagogue.
12. What is Yakov given in order that he can have something to do?
(a) A pencil and paper.
(b) A ball.
(c) A broom.
(d) A broken radio.
13. What is the name of the guard who is comforted by Yakov's scripture readings?
14. When Bibikov comes to the prison to question Yakov, who does Bibikov believe is actually responsible for Zhenia's murder?
15. What is the name of the secret society that the prosecutor accuses Yakov of belonging to?
(a) The Jewish Kahal.
(b) The Jewish Klan.
(c) The Black Panthers.
(d) The Black Hundreds.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to what Proshko tells the secret police, what is Yakov responsible for?
2. When Bibikov comes to the prison to question Yakov, who does Bibikov believe is actually Yakov's greatest enemy?
3. When Nikolai offers Yakov another position after Yakov fixes up the apartment, what is the position that Nikolai offers to Yakov?
4. According to the boy's mother, what does Zhenia want to be when he grows up?
5. As the days passed, the Russian officials kept waiting for Yakov to start something. What are they waiting for?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)