|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Back in his cell after the indictment farce in court, what does Yakov compare his scenario to?
(a) A black horse.
(b) An evil curse.
(c) A bad talisman.
2. What does Zhitnyak sneak into Yakov after his escape-from-boredom materials are confiscated?
(a) A newspaper.
(b) A Torah.
(c) A New Testament.
(d) A Koran.
3. How long does the boy's mother wait before she reports her son as missing?
(a) Three days.
(b) One week.
(c) Three hours.
(d) One day.
4. When Yakov envisions himself wresting with the Tsar, they continue to wrestle until the Tsar declares himself to be __________________.
(a) An angel of God.
(b) The winner.
(c) A demon from hell.
(d) All powerful.
5. Even though Yakov is desperately ill and not allowed access to the prison hospital, the prison doctor does tell him how to be cured. What is the doctor's advice?
6. What offense does Proshko accuse Yakov of when he gives his statement to the secret police?
(a) Smuggling drugs.
(b) Murdering Nikolai's assistant.
(c) Stealing from Nikolai.
(d) Helping the Jews.
7. When Bibikov comes to the prison to question Yakov, who does Bibikov believe is actually responsible for Zhenia's murder?
8. What colors does Proshko say are the flames of the fire that Yakov is accused of setting?
(a) Yellow and red.
(b) Blue and yellow.
(c) Green and blue.
(d) Yellow and green.
9. What is the sentence carried by the original charge that the man in charge of the investigation will bring against Yakov?
(a) Three years in prison.
(b) Three months in prison.
(c) One year in prison.
(d) One month in prison.
10. When Yakov is being shown the officials' book, what do the officials point out in the book that resembles Yakov?
(a) A wizard.
(b) A nose.
(c) An earlobe.
(d) An ear curl.
11. After the prisoner sent to talk to Yakov tells him he is a murderer, what does the other prisoner do?
(a) He laughs at Yakov.
(b) He humiliates Yakov.
(c) He beats Yakov.
(d) He vilifies Yakov.
12. Who does Bibikov travel to see on Yakov's behalf in hopes of having Yakov's case dismissed?
(a) The Minister of State.
(b) The Minister of Justice.
(c) The Minister of Defense.
(d) The Minister of Law.
13. Before the secret police member leaves Yakov's cell, what does he leave behind with Yakov?
(a) A consent form.
(b) A confession form.
(c) A Bible.
(d) A questionnaire.
14. After Yakov has his revelation as to the cause of his sickness, what does Yakov refuse to do?
15. Who does the local anti-Semite group accuse of committing the murder?
(a) A Christian.
(b) A Jew.
(c) A Hindu.
(d) A Muslim.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the prisoner sent to talk to Yakov?
2. As Yakov roams Kiev, what does he try to pick up from the people of Kiev?
3. Before going to join the running crowd, what does Yakov do?
4. As the story begins, where is Yakov Bok?
5. When the man in charge of the investigation denies Yakov's request for an attorney, what is Yakov told that he will need?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)