|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Yakov happens upon an old injured Jewish man while returning from shopping, where does Yakov take the injured man?
(a) To the hospital.
(b) To the synagogue.
(c) To the injured man's apartment.
(d) To Yakov's apartment.
2. Where does the running crowd finally stop?
(a) At a burning house.
(b) At a cave.
(c) At a church.
(d) At a restaurant.
3. Back in his cell after the indictment farce in court, what does Yakov compare his scenario to?
(b) An evil curse.
(c) A black horse.
(d) A bad talisman.
4. What is the mother's name of the boy Yakov is accused of killing?
5. Who begins to visit Yakov's cell in the middle of winter in order to obtain body samples?
(a) The head guard.
(b) The colonel.
(c) The warden.
(d) The deputy warden.
6. After the winter finally ends, Yakov is desperate to relieve his boredom. What does Yakov do?
(a) Engages the guards in philosophical discussions.
(b) Writes letters to his ex-wife.
(c) Opens one of the phylacteries.
(d) Makes pencils from the stove ashes.
7. According to the prosecutor in the courtroom, what punishment is Yakov facing?
(a) The death penalty.
(b) Ten years of hard labor.
(c) A lifetime in solitary confinement.
(d) Twenty-five years in prison.
8. When Yakov envisions himself wresting with the Tsar, they continue to wrestle until the Tsar declares himself to be __________________.
(a) The winner.
(b) A demon from hell.
(c) An angel of God.
(d) All powerful.
9. After reading the indictment and the evidence against Yakov, what does the prosecutor also accuse Yakov of?
(a) Threatening the warden.
(b) Beating his guard.
(c) Attempting to escape.
(d) Confessing in his sleep.
10. When Nikolai offers Yakov another position after Yakov fixes up the apartment, what is the position that Nikolai offers to Yakov?
(a) A foreman.
(b) A bookkeeper.
(c) A maintenance man.
(d) A security guard.
11. What is the name of the fat man who shares his packages from the outside with the other prisoners?
12. How does Yakov react to Kiev?
(a) He is horrified by the city.
(b) He is intrigued by the city.
(c) He is awed by the city.
(d) He is dismayed by the city.
13. As Yakov is being transported to court for his indictment, what does he fantasize about while riding on the trolley?
(a) Being freed.
(b) Killing the onlookers.
(c) Speaking to an attorney.
(d) Escaping from his captors.
14. According to Proshko's testimony, how does Yakov set the fire he is accused of starting?
(a) Lighter fluid.
15. When Bibikov comes to the prison to question Yakov, who does Bibikov believe is actually responsible for Zhenia's murder?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yakov use to keep track of the days in his cell?
2. What is the sentence carried by the original charge that the man in charge of the investigation will bring against Yakov?
3. According to Yakov, what does he believe the boy saw in Yakov's apartment?
4. What does Zhitnyak sneak into Yakov after his escape-from-boredom materials are confiscated?
5. As Yakov roams Kiev, what does he try to pick up from the people of Kiev?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)