|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the original charge that the man in charge of the investigation will bring against Yakov?
(a) Living in a non-Jewish neighborhood.
(b) Child molestation.
(d) Lying under oath.
2. How does Yakov react to Kiev?
(a) He is dismayed by the city.
(b) He is awed by the city.
(c) He is intrigued by the city.
(d) He is horrified by the city.
3. When spring arrives, what is Yakov still lacking?
(a) An indictment.
(b) A new blanket.
(d) Sufficient evidence to clear his name.
4. What is the name of the guard who is comforted by Yakov's scripture readings?
5. While sitting in his cell reflecting on his circumstances, what does Yakov liken being Jewish to?
(a) A family.
(b) A burden.
(c) A curse.
(d) A blessing.
6. As the days passed, the Russian officials kept waiting for Yakov to start something. What are they waiting for?
(a) Yakov's prayers.
(b) Yakov's violence.
(c) Yakov's madness.
(d) Yakov's period.
7. Where does Yakov first find Nikolai?
(a) In a hotel.
(b) In a bar.
(c) In a snowbank.
(d) In an alley.
8. When Yakov is taken to the infirmary, who does he learn has been shot for disobeying a guard?
9. As Chapter 6, Part 5 begins, Yakov is thinking through all of the things he studied before he was incarcerated. What is he NOT thinking about?
10. After the prisoner sent to talk to Yakov tells him he is a murderer, what does the other prisoner do?
(a) He humiliates Yakov.
(b) He vilifies Yakov.
(c) He beats Yakov.
(d) He laughs at Yakov.
11. When Yakov is taken back to prison, he is shown a book that some of the officials are developing. What is the book's topic?
(a) Jewish evil magic spells.
(b) Jewish psychological games.
(c) Jewish prayers and customs.
(d) Jewish physical characteristics.
12. Who does the local anti-Semite group accuse of committing the murder?
(a) A Muslim.
(b) A Hindu.
(c) A Christian.
(d) A Jew.
13. Even though Yakov is desperately ill and not allowed access to the prison hospital, the prison doctor does tell him how to be cured. What is the doctor's advice?
14. While Yakov is being interrogated, two men arrive at the interrogation room and are invited inside. Who are these men?
(a) The prosecutor and the warden.
(b) The colonel and the priest.
(c) The prosecutor and the colonel.
(d) The warden and the priest.
15. When Bibikov comes to the prison to question Yakov, who does Bibikov believe is actually Yakov's greatest enemy?
(a) The warden.
(b) The prosecutor.
(c) The colonel.
(d) The head guard.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who discovers what Yakov is doing and confiscates his materials?
2. According to Proshko's testimony, how does Yakov set the fire he is accused of starting?
3. According to the prosecutor in the courtroom, what punishment is Yakov facing?
4. What colors does Proshko say are the flames of the fire that Yakov is accused of setting?
5. As Yakov reflects on his time with Raisl, what does Yakov remember convincing Raisl is okay?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)