|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When a drunken guard accidentally leaves Yakov's cell door unlocked, Yakov ventures out and comes upon a hanged man. Who is the man?
2. Who advises Yakov to stay in the village and not venture on to Kiev?
3. What colors does Proshko say are the flames of the fire that Yakov is accused of setting?
(a) Green and blue.
(b) Yellow and red.
(c) Blue and yellow.
(d) Yellow and green.
4. When Yakov happens upon an old injured Jewish man while returning from shopping, where does Yakov take the injured man?
(a) To the hospital.
(b) To the injured man's apartment.
(c) To Yakov's apartment.
(d) To the synagogue.
5. When Yakov is being shown the officials' book, what do the officials point out in the book that resembles Yakov?
(a) An ear curl.
(b) An earlobe.
(c) A wizard.
(d) A nose.
6. The boy's mother identifies Yakov as the man who chased her son. What does she say Yakov was chasing her son with?
(a) A knife.
(b) A brick.
(c) A bat.
(d) A gun.
7. Where does the running crowd finally stop?
(a) At a church.
(b) At a cave.
(c) At a restaurant.
(d) At a burning house.
8. What is the mother's name of the boy Yakov is accused of killing?
9. What is the name of the guard who is comforted by Yakov's scripture readings?
10. What is the name of the prisoner who is arrested because he is holding a bunch of pamphlets?
11. According to the prosecutor in the courtroom, what punishment is Yakov facing?
(a) Ten years of hard labor.
(b) Twenty-five years in prison.
(c) The death penalty.
(d) A lifetime in solitary confinement.
12. When one of the guards takes pity on Yakov, what does Yakov suddenly have?
(d) A new blanket.
13. When spring arrives, what is Yakov still lacking?
(a) An indictment.
(b) Sufficient evidence to clear his name.
(c) A new blanket.
14. As Yakov reflects on his time with Raisl, what does Yakov remember convincing Raisl is okay?
(a) Skipping synagogue.
(b) Premarital sex.
(c) Missing evening prayers.
(d) Teasing the rabbi.
15. Where does Yakov pretend to be from when confronted by the boatman?
Short Answer Questions
1. After Yakov has his revelation as to the cause of his sickness, what does Yakov refuse to do?
2. When Yakov responds by pointing out something in the officials' book that he thinks resembles the prosecutor, how does the official respond?
3. After fixing up the apartment, Nikolai offers Yakov another job. Where is the job located?
4. What does Yakov decide not to reveal to the boatman?
5. When the author describes the wind rushing through Yakov's cell, what does he liken the wind to?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)