|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does the boy's mother wait before she reports her son as missing?
(a) Three hours.
(b) One day.
(c) Three days.
(d) One week.
2. What is the name of the woman Yakov married?
3. What does Yakov use to keep track of the days in his cell?
(a) Rocks and nails.
(b) Pen and paper.
(c) Sticks and splinters.
(d) Hash marks.
4. What is Yakov given in order that he can have something to do?
(a) A ball.
(b) A pencil and paper.
(c) A broom.
(d) A broken radio.
5. As Yakov runs around his cell screaming, who finally tells him to shut up?
(a) The warden.
(c) The deputy warden.
6. Even though Yakov is desperately ill and not allowed access to the prison hospital, the prison doctor does tell him how to be cured. What is the doctor's advice?
7. According to what Proshko tells the secret police, what is Yakov responsible for?
(a) Burning down his enemy's house.
(b) Burning down the factory.
(c) Burning down the synagogue.
(d) Burning down the stables.
8. Back in his cell after the indictment farce in court, what does Yakov compare his scenario to?
(a) A bad talisman.
(b) A black horse.
(c) An evil curse.
9. One day during the dreary Russian winter, Yakov loses his cool in his cell. What does he do?
(a) Burn his blanket.
(b) Threaten the guards.
(c) Shred his clothing.
(d) Destroy his cot.
10. According to Yakov, what does he believe the boy saw in Yakov's apartment?
(a) Raspberry jam.
(b) A gun catalog.
(c) His bathrobe.
(d) Monopoly money.
11. One night, Yakov wakes up from a nightmare and realizes why he is so sick. Why?
(a) He is dying.
(b) He is being tested.
(c) He is being poisoned.
(d) He is continually chilled.
12. When the man in charge of the investigation denies Yakov's request for an attorney, what is Yakov told that he will need?
(a) The truth.
(b) A pen.
(c) A gun.
(d) A casket.
13. When Yakov is being shown the officials' book, what do the officials point out in the book that resembles Yakov?
(a) A nose.
(b) An ear curl.
(c) A wizard.
(d) An earlobe.
14. As Yakov roams Kiev, what does he try to pick up from the people of Kiev?
(a) Their priorities.
(b) Their language.
(c) Their customs.
(d) Their possessions.
15. One month after his arrest, Yakov is taken from the original prison to another location with priests and secret police members in tow. Where is Yakov taken?
(a) To his enemy's house.
(b) To the synagogue.
(c) To the factory.
(d) To the stables.
Short Answer Questions
1. While sitting in his cell reflecting on his circumstances in Chapter 6, Part 9, how does Yakov feel about his fate?
2. Where does the running crowd finally stop?
3. How much money does the boatman offer to ferry Yakov across the river?
4. After the prisoner sent to talk to Yakov tells him he is a murderer, what does the other prisoner do?
5. As Chapter 6, Part 5 begins, Yakov is thinking through all of the things he studied before he was incarcerated. What is he NOT thinking about?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)