|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Yakov given in order that he can have something to do?
(a) A broom.
(b) A ball.
(c) A broken radio.
(d) A pencil and paper.
2. What offense does Proshko accuse Yakov of when he gives his statement to the secret police?
(a) Smuggling drugs.
(b) Stealing from Nikolai.
(c) Helping the Jews.
(d) Murdering Nikolai's assistant.
3. When the author describes the wind rushing through Yakov's cell, what does he liken the wind to?
(a) An evil curse.
(b) A cold finger.
(c) A rushing torrent.
(d) An evil bird.
4. When the man in charge of the investigation denies Yakov's request for an attorney, what is Yakov told that he will need?
(a) A gun.
(b) A pen.
(c) The truth.
(d) A casket.
5. How does Yakov react to Kiev?
(a) He is intrigued by the city.
(b) He is dismayed by the city.
(c) He is horrified by the city.
(d) He is awed by the city.
6. One month after his arrest, Yakov is taken from the original prison to another location with priests and secret police members in tow. Where is Yakov taken?
(a) To the synagogue.
(b) To the stables.
(c) To his enemy's house.
(d) To the factory.
7. What does Raisl always beg Yakov to do?
(a) Move to Kiev.
(b) Accept her father.
(c) Flee Russia.
(d) Have children.
8. Who does the local anti-Semite group accuse of committing the murder?
(a) A Muslim.
(b) A Hindu.
(c) A Christian.
(d) A Jew.
9. As Chapter 6, Part 5 begins, Yakov is thinking through all of the things he studied before he was incarcerated. What is he NOT thinking about?
10. What is the mother's name of the boy Yakov is accused of killing?
11. When Nikolai offers Yakov another position after Yakov fixes up the apartment, what is the position that Nikolai offers to Yakov?
(a) A maintenance man.
(b) A foreman.
(c) A security guard.
(d) A bookkeeper.
12. What does Yakov use to keep track of the days in his cell?
(a) Hash marks.
(b) Rocks and nails.
(c) Sticks and splinters.
(d) Pen and paper.
13. According to the prosecutor in the courtroom, what punishment is Yakov facing?
(a) Twenty-five years in prison.
(b) A lifetime in solitary confinement.
(c) The death penalty.
(d) Ten years of hard labor.
14. According to the boy's mother, what does Zhenia want to be when he grows up?
(a) A businessman.
(b) A priest.
(c) A rabbi.
(d) A policeman.
15. When Yakov envisions himself wresting with the Tsar, they continue to wrestle until the Tsar declares himself to be __________________.
(a) All powerful.
(b) An angel of God.
(c) The winner.
(d) A demon from hell.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the prosecutor's theory, why does Yakov kill Zhenia?
2. When Yakov responds by pointing out something in the officials' book that he thinks resembles the prosecutor, how does the official respond?
3. As Yakov begins to think he's going mad, whose ghost does he see?
4. After the prisoner sent to talk to Yakov tells him he is a murderer, what does the other prisoner do?
5. As Yakov roams Kiev, what does he try to pick up from the people of Kiev?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)