|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the running crowd finally stop?
(a) At a church.
(b) At a cave.
(c) At a restaurant.
(d) At a burning house.
2. As the days passed, the Russian officials kept waiting for Yakov to start something. What are they waiting for?
(a) Yakov's period.
(b) Yakov's madness.
(c) Yakov's prayers.
(d) Yakov's violence.
3. One month after his arrest, Yakov is taken from the original prison to another location with priests and secret police members in tow. Where is Yakov taken?
(a) To the stables.
(b) To the factory.
(c) To the synagogue.
(d) To his enemy's house.
4. When Bibikov apologizes for the poor treatment Yakov is receiving, Yakov asks for only one thing. What is it?
(a) A pair of pants.
(b) A loaf of bread.
(c) A new blanket.
(d) A pair of shoes.
5. When one of the guards takes pity on Yakov, what does Yakov suddenly have?
(b) A new blanket.
6. Who is the first person to bring firewood to Yakov's cell?
(a) The Minister of Justice.
(b) The colonel.
(c) The warden.
(d) The deputy warden.
7. What is the name of the woman Yakov married?
8. What is the sentence carried by the original charge that the man in charge of the investigation will bring against Yakov?
(a) Three years in prison.
(b) One month in prison.
(c) One year in prison.
(d) Three months in prison.
9. When Yakov happens upon an old injured Jewish man while returning from shopping, where does Yakov take the injured man?
(a) To the injured man's apartment.
(b) To Yakov's apartment.
(c) To the synagogue.
(d) To the hospital.
10. What colors does Proshko say are the flames of the fire that Yakov is accused of setting?
(a) Yellow and red.
(b) Yellow and green.
(c) Blue and yellow.
(d) Green and blue.
11. What does Raisl always beg Yakov to do?
(a) Move to Kiev.
(b) Have children.
(c) Flee Russia.
(d) Accept her father.
12. When Yakov is taken back to prison, he is shown a book that some of the officials are developing. What is the book's topic?
(a) Jewish physical characteristics.
(b) Jewish evil magic spells.
(c) Jewish prayers and customs.
(d) Jewish psychological games.
13. One night, Yakov wakes up from a nightmare and realizes why he is so sick. Why?
(a) He is being poisoned.
(b) He is dying.
(c) He is continually chilled.
(d) He is being tested.
14. According to the boy's mother, what does Zhenia see when he looks in Yakov's apartment?
(a) A cache of weapons.
(b) Robes of a rabbi.
(c) Piles of money.
(d) Bottles of blood.
15. As Yakov begins to think he's going mad, whose ghost does he see?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yakov decide not to reveal to the boatman?
2. According to what Proshko tells the secret police, what is Yakov responsible for?
3. Who does the local anti-Semite group accuse of committing the murder?
4. As Yakov is being transported to court for his indictment, what does he fantasize about while riding on the trolley?
5. What language is Yakov speaking exclusively since leaving the shtetl?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)