|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When a drunken guard accidentally leaves Yakov's cell door unlocked, Yakov ventures out and comes upon a hanged man. Who is the man?
2. Who advises Yakov to stay in the village and not venture on to Kiev?
3. After fixing up the apartment, Nikolai offers Yakov another job. Where is the job located?
(a) At a brickyard.
(b) At a trainyard.
(c) At a shipyard.
(d) At a factory.
4. What does the crowd see when the people finally stop running?
(a) A murdered dog.
(b) A murdered child.
(c) A murdered man.
(d) A murdered woman.
5. The boy's mother identifies Yakov as the man who chased her son. What does she say Yakov was chasing her son with?
(a) A gun.
(b) A bat.
(c) A brick.
(d) A knife.
6. What is the name of the fat man who shares his packages from the outside with the other prisoners?
7. According to the boy's mother, what does Zhenia see when he looks in Yakov's apartment?
(a) Piles of money.
(b) Robes of a rabbi.
(c) Bottles of blood.
(d) A cache of weapons.
8. What is the sentence carried by the original charge that the man in charge of the investigation will bring against Yakov?
(a) Three months in prison.
(b) One year in prison.
(c) One month in prison.
(d) Three years in prison.
9. When Yakov is taken back to prison, he is shown a book that some of the officials are developing. What is the book's topic?
(a) Jewish prayers and customs.
(b) Jewish evil magic spells.
(c) Jewish psychological games.
(d) Jewish physical characteristics.
10. What offense does Proshko accuse Yakov of when he gives his statement to the secret police?
(a) Helping the Jews.
(b) Smuggling drugs.
(c) Stealing from Nikolai.
(d) Murdering Nikolai's assistant.
11. To what group does Nikolai belong?
(a) The Black Renegades.
(b) The Black Knights.
(c) The Black Panthers.
(d) The Black Hundreds.
12. According to the prosecutor's theory, why does Yakov kill Zhenia?
(a) To prevent Zhenia from going to the authorities.
(b) To hide Yakov's true identity.
(c) For something to do.
(d) For ritual purposes.
13. As Yakov reflects on his time with Raisl, how does he characterize their early life together?
(a) As happy and poor.
(b) As poor and hard.
(c) As hard and simple.
(d) As happy and simple.
14. One month after his arrest, Yakov is taken from the original prison to another location with priests and secret police members in tow. Where is Yakov taken?
(a) To his enemy's house.
(b) To the factory.
(c) To the synagogue.
(d) To the stables.
15. Where does Yakov first find Nikolai?
(a) In an alley.
(b) In a hotel.
(c) In a bar.
(d) In a snowbank.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Proshko's testimony, how does Yakov set the fire he is accused of starting?
2. After reading the indictment and the evidence against Yakov, what does the prosecutor also accuse Yakov of?
3. Before going to join the running crowd, what does Yakov do?
4. After the prisoner sent to talk to Yakov tells him he is a murderer, what does the other prisoner do?
5. While sitting in his cell reflecting on his circumstances, what does Yakov liken being Jewish to?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)