|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Yakov roams Kiev, what does he try to pick up from the people of Kiev?
(a) Their possessions.
(b) Their priorities.
(c) Their customs.
(d) Their language.
2. When Bibikov comes to the prison to question Yakov, who does Bibikov believe is actually responsible for Zhenia's murder?
3. While sitting in his cell reflecting on his circumstances in Chapter 6, Part 9, how does Yakov feel about his fate?
(a) His fate saddens him.
(b) His fate excites him.
(c) His fate angers him.
(d) His fate nauseates him.
4. What is the name of the prisoner sent to talk to Yakov?
5. What is Yakov given in order that he can have something to do?
(a) A broom.
(b) A ball.
(c) A broken radio.
(d) A pencil and paper.
6. How long is Yakov in solitary confinement before Bibikov comes to question him again?
(a) Twelve hours.
(b) One week.
(c) Three days.
(d) Eight days.
7. Back in his cell after the indictment farce in court, what does Yakov compare his scenario to?
(a) A black horse.
(b) An evil curse.
(c) A bad talisman.
8. How does Yakov react to Kiev?
(a) He is dismayed by the city.
(b) He is horrified by the city.
(c) He is intrigued by the city.
(d) He is awed by the city.
9. What is the name of the fat man who shares his packages from the outside with the other prisoners?
10. After fixing up the apartment, Nikolai offers Yakov another job. Where is the job located?
(a) At a shipyard.
(b) At a trainyard.
(c) At a brickyard.
(d) At a factory.
11. As Yakov reflects on his time with Raisl, how does he characterize their early life together?
(a) As happy and poor.
(b) As hard and simple.
(c) As poor and hard.
(d) As happy and simple.
12. One day during the dreary Russian winter, Yakov loses his cool in his cell. What does he do?
(a) Shred his clothing.
(b) Destroy his cot.
(c) Threaten the guards.
(d) Burn his blanket.
13. How long does the boy's mother wait before she reports her son as missing?
(a) Three days.
(b) One week.
(c) One day.
(d) Three hours.
14. According to Yakov, what does he believe the boy saw in Yakov's apartment?
(a) Raspberry jam.
(b) His bathrobe.
(c) A gun catalog.
(d) Monopoly money.
15. Who advises Yakov to stay in the village and not venture on to Kiev?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the boy's mother, what does Zhenia want to be when he grows up?
2. With nothing to do in his cell, Yakov pieces together bits of something that he recites in his cell. What does he piece together?
3. As the story begins, where is Yakov Bok?
4. When spring arrives, what is Yakov still lacking?
5. What language is Yakov speaking exclusively since leaving the shtetl?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)