|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Yakov pretend to be from when confronted by the boatman?
2. Where does Yakov first find Nikolai?
(a) In a snowbank.
(b) In an alley.
(c) In a hotel.
(d) In a bar.
3. What offense does Proshko accuse Yakov of when he gives his statement to the secret police?
(a) Smuggling drugs.
(b) Stealing from Nikolai.
(c) Helping the Jews.
(d) Murdering Nikolai's assistant.
4. What language is Yakov speaking exclusively since leaving the shtetl?
5. When one of the guards takes pity on Yakov, what does Yakov suddenly have?
(c) A new blanket.
6. As the days passed, the Russian officials kept waiting for Yakov to start something. What are they waiting for?
(a) Yakov's madness.
(b) Yakov's violence.
(c) Yakov's period.
(d) Yakov's prayers.
7. With nothing to do in his cell, Yakov pieces together bits of something that he recites in his cell. What does he piece together?
8. How does Yakov react to Kiev?
(a) He is dismayed by the city.
(b) He is awed by the city.
(c) He is intrigued by the city.
(d) He is horrified by the city.
9. After the winter finally ends, Yakov is desperate to relieve his boredom. What does Yakov do?
(a) Engages the guards in philosophical discussions.
(b) Writes letters to his ex-wife.
(c) Makes pencils from the stove ashes.
(d) Opens one of the phylacteries.
10. Even though Yakov is desperately ill and not allowed access to the prison hospital, the prison doctor does tell him how to be cured. What is the doctor's advice?
11. Who discovers what Yakov is doing and confiscates his materials?
(c) The deputy warden.
12. When Yakov is taken back to prison, he is shown a book that some of the officials are developing. What is the book's topic?
(a) Jewish evil magic spells.
(b) Jewish prayers and customs.
(c) Jewish physical characteristics.
(d) Jewish psychological games.
13. What is the name of the guard who is comforted by Yakov's scripture readings?
14. What does Yakov decide not to reveal to the boatman?
(a) That he is Russian.
(b) That he is royalty.
(c) That he has money.
(d) That he is Jewish.
15. How long is Yakov in solitary confinement before Bibikov comes to question him again?
(a) Three days.
(b) Twelve hours.
(c) Eight days.
(d) One week.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the boy's mother wait before she reports her son as missing?
2. Where does the running crowd finally stop?
3. To what group does Nikolai belong?
4. What is the local anti-Semite group called?
5. What is the name of the prisoner who is arrested because he is holding a bunch of pamphlets?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)