|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Back in his cell after the indictment farce in court, what does Yakov compare his scenario to?
(a) A bad talisman.
(b) An evil curse.
(d) A black horse.
2. While Yakov is being interrogated, two men arrive at the interrogation room and are invited inside. Who are these men?
(a) The prosecutor and the colonel.
(b) The prosecutor and the warden.
(c) The colonel and the priest.
(d) The warden and the priest.
3. According to Proshko's testimony, how does Yakov set the fire he is accused of starting?
(d) Lighter fluid.
4. What is the original charge that the man in charge of the investigation will bring against Yakov?
(a) Lying under oath.
(c) Child molestation.
(d) Living in a non-Jewish neighborhood.
5. Where does Yakov pretend to be from when confronted by the boatman?
6. As the story begins, where is Yakov Bok?
(a) In prison.
(b) In his bedroom.
(c) In his kitchen.
(d) In temple.
7. How much money does the boatman offer to ferry Yakov across the river?
(a) 3 rubles.
(b) 1 ruble.
(c) 7 rubles.
(d) 5 rubles.
8. While sitting in his cell reflecting on his circumstances in Chapter 6, Part 9, how does Yakov feel about his fate?
(a) His fate excites him.
(b) His fate angers him.
(c) His fate nauseates him.
(d) His fate saddens him.
9. After the prisoner sent to talk to Yakov tells him he is a murderer, what does the other prisoner do?
(a) He vilifies Yakov.
(b) He beats Yakov.
(c) He humiliates Yakov.
(d) He laughs at Yakov.
10. Where does the running crowd finally stop?
(a) At a cave.
(b) At a restaurant.
(c) At a burning house.
(d) At a church.
11. Even though Yakov is desperately ill and not allowed access to the prison hospital, the prison doctor does tell him how to be cured. What is the doctor's advice?
12. What is Yakov given in order that he can have something to do?
(a) A pencil and paper.
(b) A broken radio.
(c) A broom.
(d) A ball.
13. What is the mother's name of the boy Yakov is accused of killing?
14. When Yakov is taken back to prison, he is shown a book that some of the officials are developing. What is the book's topic?
(a) Jewish psychological games.
(b) Jewish physical characteristics.
(c) Jewish evil magic spells.
(d) Jewish prayers and customs.
15. What is the name of the secret police member who introduces himself to Yakov as the man in charge of the investigation?
Short Answer Questions
1. Each day, Yakov does recitations in his cell that the guards can overhear. What language does Yakov recite in?
2. What is the sentence carried by the original charge that the man in charge of the investigation will bring against Yakov?
3. What is the name of the prisoner sent to talk to Yakov?
4. When one of the guards takes pity on Yakov, what does Yakov suddenly have?
5. Who is the first person to bring firewood to Yakov's cell?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)