|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Yakov reflects on his time with Raisl, how does he characterize their early life together?
(a) As hard and simple.
(b) As happy and simple.
(c) As poor and hard.
(d) As happy and poor.
2. According to Yakov, what does he believe the boy saw in Yakov's apartment?
(a) His bathrobe.
(b) A gun catalog.
(c) Raspberry jam.
(d) Monopoly money.
3. Before going to join the running crowd, what does Yakov do?
(a) Call for the guard.
(b) Finish his prayer.
(c) Clean his plate.
(d) Hide his money.
4. As Yakov runs around his cell screaming, who finally tells him to shut up?
(b) The deputy warden.
(c) The warden.
5. After the prisoner sent to talk to Yakov tells him he is a murderer, what does the other prisoner do?
(a) He humiliates Yakov.
(b) He beats Yakov.
(c) He laughs at Yakov.
(d) He vilifies Yakov.
6. When Nikolai offers Yakov another position after Yakov fixes up the apartment, what is the position that Nikolai offers to Yakov?
(a) A maintenance man.
(b) A bookkeeper.
(c) A security guard.
(d) A foreman.
7. When Yakov is being shown the officials' book, what do the officials point out in the book that resembles Yakov?
(a) A wizard.
(b) A nose.
(c) An earlobe.
(d) An ear curl.
8. What is the mother's name of the boy Yakov is accused of killing?
9. Who is the first person to bring firewood to Yakov's cell?
(a) The deputy warden.
(b) The colonel.
(c) The warden.
(d) The Minister of Justice.
10. In Chapter 6, Part 4, what is the name of the guard who is on Yakov's side?
11. When Yakov happens upon an old injured Jewish man while returning from shopping, where does Yakov take the injured man?
(a) To the injured man's apartment.
(b) To the synagogue.
(c) To the hospital.
(d) To Yakov's apartment.
12. What colors does Proshko say are the flames of the fire that Yakov is accused of setting?
(a) Blue and yellow.
(b) Yellow and green.
(c) Yellow and red.
(d) Green and blue.
13. Where does Yakov pretend to be from when confronted by the boatman?
14. While Yakov is being interrogated, two men arrive at the interrogation room and are invited inside. Who are these men?
(a) The prosecutor and the colonel.
(b) The warden and the priest.
(c) The colonel and the priest.
(d) The prosecutor and the warden.
15. Even though Yakov is desperately ill and not allowed access to the prison hospital, the prison doctor does tell him how to be cured. What is the doctor's advice?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the crowd see when the people finally stop running?
2. When the author describes the wind rushing through Yakov's cell, what does he liken the wind to?
3. What is the name of the fat man who shares his packages from the outside with the other prisoners?
4. When Yakov responds by pointing out something in the officials' book that he thinks resembles the prosecutor, how does the official respond?
5. What is the original charge that the man in charge of the investigation will bring against Yakov?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)