|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Yakov is taken to the infirmary, who does he learn has been shot for disobeying a guard?
2. What does the guard who is comforted by Yakov's scripture readings refuse to give to Yakov?
(b) A pencil and paper.
(c) A Bible.
(d) A blanket.
3. According to the prosecutor's theory, why does Yakov kill Zhenia?
(a) To prevent Zhenia from going to the authorities.
(b) For ritual purposes.
(c) To hide Yakov's true identity.
(d) For something to do.
4. When the man in charge of the investigation denies Yakov's request for an attorney, what is Yakov told that he will need?
(a) The truth.
(b) A casket.
(c) A pen.
(d) A gun.
5. When spring arrives, what is Yakov still lacking?
(a) An indictment.
(b) A new blanket.
(c) Sufficient evidence to clear his name.
6. In Chapter 6, Part 4, what is the name of the guard who is on Yakov's side?
7. When Yakov envisions himself wresting with the Tsar, they continue to wrestle until the Tsar declares himself to be __________________.
(a) All powerful.
(b) A demon from hell.
(c) An angel of God.
(d) The winner.
8. Who performs the total body and cavity searches that Yakov is subjected to?
(a) The head guard.
(b) The colonel.
(c) The deputy warden.
(d) The warden.
9. What is the local anti-Semite group called?
(a) The Black Hundreds.
(b) The Black Renegades.
(c) The Black Knights.
(d) The Black Panthers.
10. After reading the indictment and the evidence against Yakov, what does the prosecutor also accuse Yakov of?
(a) Attempting to escape.
(b) Confessing in his sleep.
(c) Beating his guard.
(d) Threatening the warden.
11. Who does the local anti-Semite group accuse of committing the murder?
(a) A Muslim.
(b) A Christian.
(c) A Jew.
(d) A Hindu.
12. As Yakov runs around his cell screaming, who finally tells him to shut up?
(a) The deputy warden.
(d) The warden.
13. When Yakov responds by pointing out something in the officials' book that he thinks resembles the prosecutor, how does the official respond?
(a) With violence.
(b) With laughter.
(c) With chagrin.
(d) With threats.
14. As Yakov reflects on his time with Raisl, how does he characterize their early life together?
(a) As hard and simple.
(b) As poor and hard.
(c) As happy and poor.
(d) As happy and simple.
15. What is the name of the guard who is comforted by Yakov's scripture readings?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does the boatman offer to ferry Yakov across the river?
2. As Chapter 6, Part 5 begins, Yakov is thinking through all of the things he studied before he was incarcerated. What is he NOT thinking about?
3. How much money does Nikolai offer to Yakov if Yakov will fix up an apartment that Nikolai owns?
4. As the story begins, where is Yakov Bok?
5. When a drunken guard accidentally leaves Yakov's cell door unlocked, Yakov ventures out and comes upon a hanged man. Who is the man?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)