|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Yakov react to Kiev?
(a) He is horrified by the city.
(b) He is intrigued by the city.
(c) He is awed by the city.
(d) He is dismayed by the city.
2. While sitting in his cell reflecting on his circumstances in Chapter 6, Part 9, how does Yakov feel about his fate?
(a) His fate saddens him.
(b) His fate angers him.
(c) His fate excites him.
(d) His fate nauseates him.
3. What is the sentence carried by the original charge that the man in charge of the investigation will bring against Yakov?
(a) Three years in prison.
(b) One year in prison.
(c) One month in prison.
(d) Three months in prison.
4. According to Yakov, what does he believe the boy saw in Yakov's apartment?
(a) A gun catalog.
(b) His bathrobe.
(c) Monopoly money.
(d) Raspberry jam.
5. What colors does Proshko say are the flames of the fire that Yakov is accused of setting?
(a) Yellow and red.
(b) Blue and yellow.
(c) Green and blue.
(d) Yellow and green.
6. What is the local anti-Semite group called?
(a) The Black Panthers.
(b) The Black Knights.
(c) The Black Renegades.
(d) The Black Hundreds.
7. After reading the indictment and the evidence against Yakov, what does the prosecutor also accuse Yakov of?
(a) Confessing in his sleep.
(b) Threatening the warden.
(c) Beating his guard.
(d) Attempting to escape.
8. As the days passed, the Russian officials kept waiting for Yakov to start something. What are they waiting for?
(a) Yakov's violence.
(b) Yakov's period.
(c) Yakov's prayers.
(d) Yakov's madness.
9. How long does the boy's mother wait before she reports her son as missing?
(a) One week.
(b) Three hours.
(c) Three days.
(d) One day.
10. To what prison does the prosecutor send Yakov while Yakov is awaiting trials?
(a) Henrush prison.
(b) Kiev prison.
(c) Moscow prison.
(d) Warsaw prison.
11. According to what Proshko tells the secret police, what is Yakov responsible for?
(a) Burning down his enemy's house.
(b) Burning down the factory.
(c) Burning down the stables.
(d) Burning down the synagogue.
12. What language is Yakov speaking exclusively since leaving the shtetl?
13. What is the name of the secret police member who introduces himself to Yakov as the man in charge of the investigation?
14. One day during the dreary Russian winter, Yakov loses his cool in his cell. What does he do?
(a) Shred his clothing.
(b) Threaten the guards.
(c) Burn his blanket.
(d) Destroy his cot.
15. When Yakov responds by pointing out something in the officials' book that he thinks resembles the prosecutor, how does the official respond?
(a) With violence.
(b) With chagrin.
(c) With laughter.
(d) With threats.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Yakov has his revelation as to the cause of his sickness, what does Yakov refuse to do?
2. After fixing up the apartment, Nikolai offers Yakov another job. Where is the job located?
3. What does Yakov decide not to reveal to the boatman?
4. As Yakov reflects on his time with Raisl, what does Yakov remember convincing Raisl is okay?
5. What is the name of the guard who is comforted by Yakov's scripture readings?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)