|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Yakov pretend to be from when confronted by the boatman?
2. When a drunken guard accidentally leaves Yakov's cell door unlocked, Yakov ventures out and comes upon a hanged man. Who is the man?
3. As Yakov runs around his cell screaming, who finally tells him to shut up?
(c) The deputy warden.
(d) The warden.
4. To what prison does the prosecutor send Yakov while Yakov is awaiting trials?
(a) Warsaw prison.
(b) Henrush prison.
(c) Moscow prison.
(d) Kiev prison.
5. The boy's mother identifies Yakov as the man who chased her son. What does she say Yakov was chasing her son with?
(a) A brick.
(b) A knife.
(c) A gun.
(d) A bat.
6. One day during the dreary Russian winter, Yakov loses his cool in his cell. What does he do?
(a) Threaten the guards.
(b) Destroy his cot.
(c) Shred his clothing.
(d) Burn his blanket.
7. Who performs the total body and cavity searches that Yakov is subjected to?
(a) The warden.
(b) The head guard.
(c) The colonel.
(d) The deputy warden.
8. In Chapter 6, Part 4, what is the name of the guard who is on Yakov's side?
9. As Yakov is being transported to court for his indictment, what does he fantasize about while riding on the trolley?
(a) Killing the onlookers.
(b) Being freed.
(c) Speaking to an attorney.
(d) Escaping from his captors.
10. According to the prosecutor in the courtroom, what punishment is Yakov facing?
(a) Ten years of hard labor.
(b) The death penalty.
(c) Twenty-five years in prison.
(d) A lifetime in solitary confinement.
11. What does the crowd see when the people finally stop running?
(a) A murdered man.
(b) A murdered child.
(c) A murdered woman.
(d) A murdered dog.
12. According to the boy's mother, what does Zhenia want to be when he grows up?
(a) A policeman.
(b) A rabbi.
(c) A priest.
(d) A businessman.
13. What does Yakov decide not to reveal to the boatman?
(a) That he is royalty.
(b) That he is Jewish.
(c) That he is Russian.
(d) That he has money.
14. What is the name of the woman Yakov married?
15. As the days passed, the Russian officials kept waiting for Yakov to start something. What are they waiting for?
(a) Yakov's violence.
(b) Yakov's prayers.
(c) Yakov's madness.
(d) Yakov's period.
Short Answer Questions
1. Even though Yakov is desperately ill and not allowed access to the prison hospital, the prison doctor does tell him how to be cured. What is the doctor's advice?
2. Who does the local anti-Semite group accuse of committing the murder?
3. When Bibikov comes to the prison to question Yakov, who does Bibikov believe is actually Yakov's greatest enemy?
4. What is the name of the fat man who shares his packages from the outside with the other prisoners?
5. Back in his cell after the indictment farce in court, what does Yakov compare his scenario to?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)