|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After fixing up the apartment, Nikolai offers Yakov another job. Where is the job located?
(a) At a brickyard.
(b) At a trainyard.
(c) At a shipyard.
(d) At a factory.
2. Who is the first person to bring firewood to Yakov's cell?
(a) The warden.
(b) The colonel.
(c) The deputy warden.
(d) The Minister of Justice.
3. What is the name of the prisoner who is arrested because he is holding a bunch of pamphlets?
4. Who advises Yakov to stay in the village and not venture on to Kiev?
5. What colors does Proshko say are the flames of the fire that Yakov is accused of setting?
(a) Green and blue.
(b) Yellow and green.
(c) Yellow and red.
(d) Blue and yellow.
6. Who does the local anti-Semite group accuse of committing the murder?
(a) A Jew.
(b) A Muslim.
(c) A Hindu.
(d) A Christian.
7. When Yakov responds by pointing out something in the officials' book that he thinks resembles the prosecutor, how does the official respond?
(a) With laughter.
(b) With threats.
(c) With violence.
(d) With chagrin.
8. According to the prosecutor's theory, why does Yakov kill Zhenia?
(a) To prevent Zhenia from going to the authorities.
(b) For something to do.
(c) For ritual purposes.
(d) To hide Yakov's true identity.
9. Even though Yakov is desperately ill and not allowed access to the prison hospital, the prison doctor does tell him how to be cured. What is the doctor's advice?
10. In Chapter 6, Part 4, what is the name of the guard who is on Yakov's side?
11. Where does Yakov pretend to be from when confronted by the boatman?
12. As the days passed, the Russian officials kept waiting for Yakov to start something. What are they waiting for?
(a) Yakov's period.
(b) Yakov's violence.
(c) Yakov's madness.
(d) Yakov's prayers.
13. As Yakov roams Kiev, what does he try to pick up from the people of Kiev?
(a) Their language.
(b) Their priorities.
(c) Their possessions.
(d) Their customs.
14. What is the original charge that the man in charge of the investigation will bring against Yakov?
(a) Living in a non-Jewish neighborhood.
(b) Child molestation.
(c) Lying under oath.
15. When Bibikov comes to the prison to question Yakov, who does Bibikov believe is actually Yakov's greatest enemy?
(a) The prosecutor.
(b) The warden.
(c) The head guard.
(d) The colonel.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Yakov is being shown the officials' book, what do the officials point out in the book that resembles Yakov?
2. According to Yakov, what does he believe the boy saw in Yakov's apartment?
3. When Nikolai offers Yakov another position after Yakov fixes up the apartment, what is the position that Nikolai offers to Yakov?
4. After Yakov has his revelation as to the cause of his sickness, what does Yakov refuse to do?
5. What is the mother's name of the boy Yakov is accused of killing?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)