|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Yakov roams Kiev, what does he try to pick up from the people of Kiev?
(a) Their priorities.
(b) Their possessions.
(c) Their language.
(d) Their customs.
2. The boy's mother identifies Yakov as the man who chased her son. What does she say Yakov was chasing her son with?
(a) A brick.
(b) A knife.
(c) A bat.
(d) A gun.
3. What is the name of the guard who is comforted by Yakov's scripture readings?
4. How much money does the boatman offer to ferry Yakov across the river?
(a) 1 ruble.
(b) 7 rubles.
(c) 5 rubles.
(d) 3 rubles.
5. What language is Yakov speaking exclusively since leaving the shtetl?
6. While sitting in his cell reflecting on his circumstances in Chapter 6, Part 9, how does Yakov feel about his fate?
(a) His fate angers him.
(b) His fate excites him.
(c) His fate saddens him.
(d) His fate nauseates him.
7. As the story begins, where is Yakov Bok?
(a) In his bedroom.
(b) In temple.
(c) In his kitchen.
(d) In prison.
8. Even though Yakov is desperately ill and not allowed access to the prison hospital, the prison doctor does tell him how to be cured. What is the doctor's advice?
9. As Yakov reflects on his time with Raisl, how does he characterize their early life together?
(a) As hard and simple.
(b) As happy and simple.
(c) As happy and poor.
(d) As poor and hard.
10. Each day, Yakov does recitations in his cell that the guards can overhear. What language does Yakov recite in?
11. What is the name of the secret society that the prosecutor accuses Yakov of belonging to?
(a) The Black Hundreds.
(b) The Jewish Kahal.
(c) The Black Panthers.
(d) The Jewish Klan.
12. One night, Yakov wakes up from a nightmare and realizes why he is so sick. Why?
(a) He is being poisoned.
(b) He is dying.
(c) He is continually chilled.
(d) He is being tested.
13. When Bibikov apologizes for the poor treatment Yakov is receiving, Yakov asks for only one thing. What is it?
(a) A loaf of bread.
(b) A new blanket.
(c) A pair of shoes.
(d) A pair of pants.
14. According to Proshko's testimony, how does Yakov set the fire he is accused of starting?
(a) Lighter fluid.
15. What is the local anti-Semite group called?
(a) The Black Renegades.
(b) The Black Hundreds.
(c) The Black Panthers.
(d) The Black Knights.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the mother's name of the boy Yakov is accused of killing?
2. Before the secret police member leaves Yakov's cell, what does he leave behind with Yakov?
3. When the author describes the wind rushing through Yakov's cell, what does he liken the wind to?
4. What is the name of the secret police member who introduces himself to Yakov as the man in charge of the investigation?
5. How long does the boy's mother wait before she reports her son as missing?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)