|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Yakov, what does he believe the boy saw in Yakov's apartment?
(a) Monopoly money.
(b) A gun catalog.
(c) Raspberry jam.
(d) His bathrobe.
2. According to Proshko's testimony, how does Yakov set the fire he is accused of starting?
(b) Lighter fluid.
3. Even though Yakov is desperately ill and not allowed access to the prison hospital, the prison doctor does tell him how to be cured. What is the doctor's advice?
4. According to what Proshko tells the secret police, what is Yakov responsible for?
(a) Burning down his enemy's house.
(b) Burning down the factory.
(c) Burning down the synagogue.
(d) Burning down the stables.
5. What is the name of the prisoner sent to talk to Yakov?
6. One night, Yakov wakes up from a nightmare and realizes why he is so sick. Why?
(a) He is dying.
(b) He is being tested.
(c) He is continually chilled.
(d) He is being poisoned.
7. When Yakov happens upon an old injured Jewish man while returning from shopping, where does Yakov take the injured man?
(a) To the hospital.
(b) To Yakov's apartment.
(c) To the injured man's apartment.
(d) To the synagogue.
8. After Yakov has his revelation as to the cause of his sickness, what does Yakov refuse to do?
9. One month after his arrest, Yakov is taken from the original prison to another location with priests and secret police members in tow. Where is Yakov taken?
(a) To his enemy's house.
(b) To the stables.
(c) To the factory.
(d) To the synagogue.
10. How much money does Nikolai offer to Yakov if Yakov will fix up an apartment that Nikolai owns?
(a) 40 rubles.
(b) 100 rubles.
(c) 60 rubles.
(d) 25 rubles.
11. What is the name of the woman Yakov married?
12. What is the local anti-Semite group called?
(a) The Black Panthers.
(b) The Black Hundreds.
(c) The Black Knights.
(d) The Black Renegades.
13. Before the secret police member leaves Yakov's cell, what does he leave behind with Yakov?
(a) A confession form.
(b) A questionnaire.
(c) A Bible.
(d) A consent form.
14. When Yakov envisions himself wresting with the Tsar, they continue to wrestle until the Tsar declares himself to be __________________.
(a) A demon from hell.
(b) All powerful.
(c) The winner.
(d) An angel of God.
15. When the man in charge of the investigation denies Yakov's request for an attorney, what is Yakov told that he will need?
(a) The truth.
(b) A casket.
(c) A gun.
(d) A pen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the guard who is comforted by Yakov's scripture readings?
2. According to the boy's mother, what does Zhenia see when he looks in Yakov's apartment?
3. As Yakov begins to think he's going mad, whose ghost does he see?
4. When Yakov is taken to the infirmary, who does he learn has been shot for disobeying a guard?
5. Who does the local anti-Semite group accuse of committing the murder?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)