|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When spring arrives, what is Yakov still lacking?
(a) An indictment.
(b) A new blanket.
(d) Sufficient evidence to clear his name.
2. According to Yakov, what does he believe the boy saw in Yakov's apartment?
(a) A gun catalog.
(b) His bathrobe.
(c) Monopoly money.
(d) Raspberry jam.
3. When Yakov is taken to the infirmary, who does he learn has been shot for disobeying a guard?
4. How long does the boy's mother wait before she reports her son as missing?
(a) Three days.
(b) One day.
(c) One week.
(d) Three hours.
5. As Yakov is being transported to court for his indictment, what does he fantasize about while riding on the trolley?
(a) Killing the onlookers.
(b) Speaking to an attorney.
(c) Escaping from his captors.
(d) Being freed.
6. When Bibikov comes to the prison to question Yakov, who does Bibikov believe is actually Yakov's greatest enemy?
(a) The colonel.
(b) The prosecutor.
(c) The head guard.
(d) The warden.
7. What is the name of the guard who is comforted by Yakov's scripture readings?
8. Who advises Yakov to stay in the village and not venture on to Kiev?
9. Who discovers what Yakov is doing and confiscates his materials?
(a) The deputy warden.
10. What is the name of the secret society that the prosecutor accuses Yakov of belonging to?
(a) The Jewish Kahal.
(b) The Black Panthers.
(c) The Black Hundreds.
(d) The Jewish Klan.
11. As Yakov runs around his cell screaming, who finally tells him to shut up?
(a) The warden.
(d) The deputy warden.
12. What language is Yakov speaking exclusively since leaving the shtetl?
13. When a drunken guard accidentally leaves Yakov's cell door unlocked, Yakov ventures out and comes upon a hanged man. Who is the man?
14. After the winter finally ends, Yakov is desperate to relieve his boredom. What does Yakov do?
(a) Makes pencils from the stove ashes.
(b) Opens one of the phylacteries.
(c) Engages the guards in philosophical discussions.
(d) Writes letters to his ex-wife.
15. What is the name of the prisoner sent to talk to Yakov?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yakov decide not to reveal to the boatman?
2. When Bibikov apologizes for the poor treatment Yakov is receiving, Yakov asks for only one thing. What is it?
3. As Yakov reflects on his time with Raisl, what does Yakov remember convincing Raisl is okay?
4. While sitting in his cell reflecting on his circumstances, what does Yakov liken being Jewish to?
5. What is the name of the prisoner who is arrested because he is holding a bunch of pamphlets?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)