Chapter 1, Part 1 | Chapter 1, Part 2
• Seeing people running by his window, Yakov joins the crowd and learns that a young boy's murdered body has been found.
• Rumors are circulating that a Jew killed the child.
• These events make Yakov uneasy, as Yakov is a Jew living in hiding in an area forbidden to Jews.
• Five months earlier, Yakov's wife ran off with another man and Yakov announced his plan to move to Kiev to begin a new life. Shmuel begs Yakov not to go.
• As Yakov travels, a wheel on the wagon breaks and then another breaks. Yakov piles his possessions on the horse's back and continues on to the river.
Chapter 1, Part 3 | Chapter 2, Part 1
• At the river, a boatman offers to row Yakov across for a ruble.
• Yakov doesn't want to pay the boatman or part with his horse. The boatman, however, convinces Yakov that the bridge is...
This section contains 3,509 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)