|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two things does Publius find in the cave?
(a) A ton of snails and a way into the fortress.
(b) A cache of gold and a way into the fortress.
(c) Jugurtha's hideout and a ton of snails.
(d) A ton of snails and a cache of gold.
2. Which of the following characters is the newly elected consul?
3. What does the message the senate sends to Caepio tell him to do?
(a) Meet up with Mallius's army on the Rhodanus River.
(b) Report back to Rome immediately.
(c) Immediately resign his command to Marius.
(d) Head into Germany to prevent more from heading into Italy.
4. What does Caepio order his men to do to verify if there is gold and silver present?
(a) Drain the lake.
(b) Tear down the bridge.
(c) Burn the building.
(d) Dig deeper into the cave.
5. Which other character rushes back to Rome to tell a different version of the story than the one Caepio plans on telling?
(b) Sextus Caesar.
(d) Metellus's son.
Short Answer Questions
1. What controversy does Saturninus hope to stir up in hopes it will get him re-elected?
2. Who sneaks in to kill the leaders of the coup?
3. Which of his skills does Marius find out are not very strong?
4. How did Caepio's son survive the battle?
5. Why does King Brocchus join the fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Caepio spend his time once he deals with the few barbarians left in the area?
2. What does Scaurus believe about the grain prices and what repercussions does this belief lead to?
3. How does Caepio's methods for creating an army differ from Marius's?
4. How do Caepio's end up finding men to fill their legions?
5. What is Marius's argument to get more men to serve in the Roman legions?
6. What is Publius an expert on and what does he hope to do some day?
7. Why is the idea of two separate Triumphs repellent and what does Marius suggest instead?
8. What path does Marius decide to take and why does he decide to take this path?
9. What happens to Caepio when the German's defeat the divided army?
10. What does Marius's wish about the march reveal about his origins?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)