|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Jonathan's thoughts about the battle as he and the Hessians rest?
2. What has happened to Jonathan's shoes as a result of the battle?
3. What is Jonathan's father's attitude toward Jonathan going to war?
4. Who are the British in the story?
5. What facial feature does the tall Hessian have?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way are Jonathan's feelings about the Corporal different than those of the other soldiers?
2. How does the feeling of Jonathan's gun in his hands change as he prepares to fire upon the Hessians?
3. Why doesn't Jonathan call out when he thinks he sees the Corporal while he is with the Hessians?
4. How does Jonathan begin to understand what the Hessians are saying to him?
5. What happens when the Corporal orders the men to organize themselves into lines?
6. What do the men debate about once they have reached their destination for the battle?
7. What new questions does Jonathan ask himself just before the battle begins?
8. What happens when the Corporal suggests to the men that if they're not happy with his leadership, they should replace him as leader?
9. How do the soldiers react to the woman in Rocktown when she runs away upon learning that enemy soldiers are on their way?
10. How does Jonathan feel about Hessians, as opposed to Tories?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the Frenchman explains to Jonathan that soldiers either kill or get killed, what is it about Jonathan's experience that leads him to believe that it may not be this black-and-white? How has Jonathan's notion of what it means to be a soldier changed?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the author present the youngest Hessian as being so much more decent than the other two? What does this reveal about the author's vision of youth, and how does it relate to Jonathan's youth?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of time-stamping throughout the book. What effect does it have on the reader to see events unfold more slowly or more quickly using this device?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)