|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many enemy soldiers does Jonathan see approaching Rocktown?
2. Who holds Alexandria, Fleming and Well's Ferry at the beginning of the story?
3. What does Jonathan do about the person who falls to the ground during battle?
4. What does Jonathan realize as the enemy officers get closer?
5. What does Jonathan do when the young Hessian stops to look at something on the road?
Short Essay Questions
1. What triggers the start of the battle, and how does this set the tone for the battle?
2. How do the local men react to the Corporal at the beginning of the story?
3. In what way are Jonathan's feelings about the Corporal different than those of the other soldiers?
4. What happens when the Corporal suggests to the men that if they're not happy with his leadership, they should replace him as leader?
5. How does the battle affect Jonathan's orientation in terms of time and space?
6. In what way does the Corporal mislead the soldiers as they head off to battle?
7. Once he has been taken prisoner, how does Jonathan try to guess the thoughts of his captors?
8. How does Jonathan feel about Hessians, as opposed to Tories?
9. How do Jonathan's feelings about fighting begin to be altered on the way to the battle as he hears the other soldiers talking?
10. Why has Jonathan's father prepared him to fight even though he is against it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of the text consists of the silent inner workings of Jonathan's mind as he tries to figure out his own beliefs and wonders about his fate. As he spends time with his Hessian captors, what effect does his relationship with them have on his changing thought process, specifically on his thoughts about war?
Essay Topic 2
What are Jonathan's primary motives for wanting to go to war, and how do these define his character? Compare his motives to those of others such as the Corporal. What does Jonathan hope to accomplish?
Essay Topic 3
Name at least two points in the story when Jonathan finds it difficult to see because some type of fog (natural or manufactured) is clouding the air. What does this fog symbolize in terms of the realities of war and Jonathan's discoveries about it?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)