|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of house do Jonathan and the Hessians discover?
(a) A small log house.
(b) A small brick house.
(c) A large log house.
(d) A broken down shack.
2. What does the Corporal reveal about the boy's parents' deaths?
(a) He killed them.
(b) The Hessians killed them.
(c) The Tories killed them.
(d) They were killed in the crossfire of a battle.
3. What is in the box that the boy points out to Jonathan in the house?
(a) A sack and a blanket.
(c) A gun.
(d) A toy.
4. How many people does Jonathan see around the campfire?
5. What does Jonathan suspect about the Corporal at the campfire?
(a) That he is insane.
(b) That he is actually an enemy soldier.
(c) That he followed Jonathan and the Hessians.
(d) That he has not actually earned the rank of Corporal.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Hessians react to the Corporal's shouts?
2. What do the men at the campfire want to do when they hear Jonathan's story?
3. What does the Corporal at the campfire know that surprises Jonathan?
4. How does the boy respond the first time Jonathan asks about his parents?
5. What things does Jonathan discover in the house he and the Hessians find?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Jonathan starts to protest the Corporal's orders, explaining that the Hessians "didn't hurt me," what effect does the Corporal's response have on him?
2. In what way does untying himself from the sleeping Hessian represent a change in Jonathan?
3. What is the significance of Jonathan's telling the Corporal that he wants to go home, and the Corporal telling him that he's needed?
4. What event causes Jonathan to reassess whether the Hessians are his friends or his enemies as he milks the cow?
5. What is the significance of Jonathan smashing the borrowed gun to pieces in a fit of rage?
6. How do the Hessians treat Jonathan when he is trying to save their lives?
7. Why does the young Hessian recite a prayer over the grave of two Americans?
8. Why does Jonathan think he sees himself from the day before when he returns home?
9. Why is the Corporal being kind to Jonathan after he wakes him up?
10. When one of the soldiers urges Jonathan toward the house where the Hessians are sleeping, reassuring him that nothing will happen to him, what does this reveal about how Jonathan's experience has made him different from the other men?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)