|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the soldiers accuse the Corporal of after asking him about the men from Snydertown?
(a) Being overly fond of killing.
(b) Being a liar.
(c) Being overly cautious.
(d) Being a traitor.
2. What has happened to Jonathan's shoes as a result of the battle?
(a) They are both smeared with blood.
(b) One has fallen apart.
(c) One is missing.
(d) There is blood on one.
3. What does Jonathan wish about the fife and drum players he hears as the Hessians approach?
(a) That they are easy targets.
(b) That they are much younger than he is.
(c) That they are his age.
(d) That they are friendly.
4. What does Jonathan realize about his situation as he walks on the road with the Hessians?
(a) That he has not been planning to escape.
(b) That he should have tried to escape while the Hessians rested.
(c) That his escape plan is flawed.
(d) That his escape plan is sound.
5. What do Jonathan and the Hessians hear from the road?
(a) A cow.
(b) A coyote.
(c) A child.
(d) A bear.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the Hessians in the story?
2. In what direction do the Hessians take Jonathan?
3. What does Jonathan think about the town being called Rocktown?
4. What does Jonathan do about the person who falls to the ground during battle?
5. Who holds Pennington and Trenton at the beginning of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Jonathan's father prepared him to fight even though he is against it?
2. Does Jonathan have a realistic idea of what war entails at the beginning of the story?
3. How do Jonathan's feelings about fighting begin to be altered on the way to the battle as he hears the other soldiers talking?
4. In what way does the Corporal mislead the soldiers as they head off to battle?
5. What happens when the Corporal orders the men to organize themselves into lines?
6. How does the battle affect Jonathan's orientation in terms of time and space?
7. Why does Jonathan hope the drum or fife player is younger than he?
8. Why is Jonathan so eager to join the war effort in the beginning of the story?
9. How do the local men react to the Corporal at the beginning of the story?
10. What has Jonathan heard about the Hessians' reputation for how they treat their prisoners?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)