|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jonathan wonder as he and the Hessians follow the sound they hear?
(a) Whether they will be killed by a wild animal.
(b) Whether they will find food.
(c) Whether the Hessians will kill him.
(d) Whether he is more afraid of the Hessians or the Americans.
2. Where does Jonathan find himself soon after the battle with the Hessians?
(a) On the ground in the woods.
(b) Back home.
(c) In a sheltered area with the American soldiers.
(d) Hiding in a tree.
3. What type of gun does the tavern keeper give Jonathan?
(a) A rifle.
(b) A musket.
(c) A hand gun.
(d) A six-gauge shotgun.
4. Who is the stranger who gathers the soldiers?
(a) A general.
(b) A sergeant.
(c) A corporal.
(d) A civilian.
5. Why don't the soldiers trust the Corporal on the way to the battle?
(a) He keeps changing the number of men they'll be fighting.
(b) He's leading them in the wrong direction.
(c) He keeps stopping to nap.
(d) He is drunk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who holds Alexandria, Fleming and Well's Ferry at the beginning of the story?
2. What does Jonathan do soon after the battle with the Hessians?
3. What does Jonathan see as he prepares to run away when he is alone after the battle?
4. Who are the Hessians in the story?
5. What does Jonathan realize as the enemy officers get closer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new feelings does Jonathan experience immediately following the battle?
2. In what way does the Corporal mislead the soldiers as they head off to battle?
3. How do the soldiers react to the woman in Rocktown when she runs away upon learning that enemy soldiers are on their way?
4. Why does Jonathan hope the drum or fife player is younger than he?
5. In what way are Jonathan's feelings about the Corporal different than those of the other soldiers?
6. What does Jonathan's identification with the word "soldier" (spoken in German by the Hessian) lead him to feel?
7. How do the local men react to the Corporal at the beginning of the story?
8. How does Jonathan begin to understand what the Hessians are saying to him?
9. What is Jonathan's perception of the enemy soldiers as they come in closer range?
10. Why doesn't Jonathan call out when he thinks he sees the Corporal while he is with the Hessians?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)