|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jonathan hear when the Hessians wake him up from his rest?
(a) A lark.
(b) A hummingbird.
(c) A woodpecker.
(d) A warbler.
2. What happens when the Corporal invites the men to replace him?
(a) They argue.
(b) They remain silent.
(c) They decide not to have any leader.
(d) They put it to a vote.
3. What does the Corporal do when the men ask about the soldiers from Snydertown?
(a) He says they're on their way.
(b) He confesses that he lied about them.
(c) He says they'd be no help.
(d) He ignores the questions.
4. What does Jonathan notice about the enemy officer on the horse as he gets closer?
(a) He has a scar.
(b) He is wounded.
(c) He has a large moustache.
(d) He has a tattoo.
5. What question asked by the woman in Rocktown surprises Jonathan?
(a) Where they're headed.
(b) What side they're fighting on.
(c) Where they came from.
(d) Whether they're hungry.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the men respond when the Corporal tries to organize them to face the enemy?
2. What road do the soldiers take toward the battle?
3. What do Jonathan and the Hessians hear from the road?
4. Who falls on top of Jonathan's gun in the midst of the battle?
5. What does Jonathan do soon after the battle with the Hessians?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Jonathan's father prepared him to fight even though he is against it?
2. What is Jonathan concerned about when he has trouble loading his gun as the enemy approaches?
3. How does Jonathan begin to understand what the Hessians are saying to him?
4. Why is Jonathan so eager to join the war effort in the beginning of the story?
5. What happens when the Corporal suggests to the men that if they're not happy with his leadership, they should replace him as leader?
6. Why doesn't Jonathan call out when he thinks he sees the Corporal while he is with the Hessians?
7. Why is Jonathan's father against Jonathan joining the war effort?
8. What makes Jonathan feel that the world has grown very small when he is with the Hessians?
9. Why does Jonathan try to understand the Hessians' words when he knows he doesn't speak their language?
10. Why does Jonathan lie to the tavern keeper about having permission from his father to fight?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)