|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jonathan notice about the enemy officer on the horse as he gets closer?
(a) He has a tattoo.
(b) He is wounded.
(c) He has a large moustache.
(d) He has a scar.
2. What does Jonathan wonder when he and the Hessians pass the dark stain on the road?
(a) Why he ever volunteered to take part in battle.
(b) Whether the blood was American or Hessian.
(c) Whether it's the same blood as the blood on him.
(d) What happened to the dead bodies from the battle.
3. What does Jonathan have trouble doing as the enemy approaches in Rocktown?
(a) Fighting the urge to flee.
(b) Raising his gun.
(c) Loading his gun.
(d) Standing in place.
4. What does Jonathan realize as the enemy officers get closer?
(a) That he has never seen an enemy soldier before.
(b) That he's incapable of killing.
(c) That the Tories are just as bad as the Hessians.
(d) That the enemy soldiers are just like the Americans.
5. What is Jonathan afraid of as he and the Hessians rest?
(a) That he will never see home again.
(b) That they will harm him.
(c) That he will have to continue fighting battles.
(d) That they will abandon him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened to Jonathan's clothes as a result of the battle?
2. What happens when Jonathan starts to whistle on the way to the battle?
3. Why does Jonathan's mother worry about his older brother?
4. How is Jonathan feeling when the group of soldiers reaches the crest south of Rocktown?
5. At what point does the Corporal tell the men they should start shooting the Hessians?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Jonathan heard about the Hessians' reputation for how they treat their prisoners?
2. What happens when the Corporal orders the men to organize themselves into lines?
3. In what way are Jonathan's feelings about the Corporal different than those of the other soldiers?
4. What makes Jonathan feel that the world has grown very small when he is with the Hessians?
5. What triggers the start of the battle, and how does this set the tone for the battle?
6. Why is Jonathan so eager to join the war effort in the beginning of the story?
7. What do the men debate about once they have reached their destination for the battle?
8. Why does the youngest Hessian seem safer and more trustworthy to Jonathan than the other two?
9. Why doesn't Jonathan call out when he thinks he sees the Corporal while he is with the Hessians?
10. How does the feeling of Jonathan's gun in his hands change as he prepares to fire upon the Hessians?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)