|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nick's girlfriend think of the experience of watching Arsenal play?
2. In which country is the Heysel stadium?
3. What team fails to win for 31 games in this section?
4. What does Nick miss when he goes to a Charlton game?
5. Which set of fans does Nick say people love?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nick state is his worst fear in this section?
2. How does Nick's obsession with football rear its ugly head in this section?
3. How did the Heysel disaster affect the British game?
4. How does Hornby foreshadow the tragedies that will happen later in the novel?
5. How does Nick's life change when he moves to North London?
6. How does non-league football touch Nick in this section?
7. Why is Nick unapologetic about hurting his friends?
8. Why is Nick ashamed of his countrymen in this section?
9. What does Nick find funny about his step brother's support for Arsenal?
10. How does Nick win a bet with his girlfriend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way do Nick's successes and failures mirror Arsenal's successes and failures? How does Nick try to distance himself from Arsenal's successes and failures?
Essay Topic 2
How does Nick's parent's divorce affect him? How does Nick use his love for Arsenal to get over his parent's divorce?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)