|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nick say the supporters deserve after the Chelsea Arsenal game?
2. Who scores Luton's winning goal in the cup final?
3. What role does Nick take up at his school?
4. What team does Arsenal play on the nineteenth of August 1987?
5. What team does Arsenal play on the twenty second of August, 1989?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize this section.
2. How does racism at football games affect Nick?
3. What problems does Nick have after college?
4. What does Nick state is his worst fear in this section?
5. Summarize this section.
6. What does Nick highlight about rituals in this section?
7. Why is Nick depressed in this section?
8. What does Nick buying tickets in the all-seater part of the stadium signify?
9. How does Hornby foreshadow the tragedies that will happen later in the novel?
10. How does Nick win a bet with his girlfriend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Nick identify with Arsenal? How does Nick's obsession help him to get over difficult periods in his life? Does Nick's obsession have any negative side affects?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the differences between the book and autobiography formats. What are the main elements of a book? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can novelists express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
Essay Topic 3
What do the opening chapters say about Nick's character? What problems does Nick have to get over in his life? How close is Nick's character to his character in real life?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)