|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of London does Hornby move to?
2. What is the title of the opening chapter of this section?
3. What football disaster does Nick write about in this section?
4. What does Nick do while his friends take his girlfriend to the medics?
5. What foreign team does Arsenal play in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nick win a bet with his girlfriend?
2. How does Nick take comfort in Neil Kaas?
3. Why is Nick ashamed of his countrymen in this section?
4. How does Nick's life change when he moves to North London?
5. What does Nick buying tickets in the all-seater part of the stadium signify?
6. What does Nick highlight about rituals in this section?
7. Why is Nick depressed in this section?
8. What does Nick think is the difference between men and women?
9. How does Nick's obsession with Arsenal affect him in the workplace?
10. What does Nick find funny about his step brother's support for Arsenal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following Arsenal players and discuss Nick's views on each one. What role do they play in Nick's life?
1. Liam Brady.
2. Malcolm MacDonald.
3. Charlie Nicholas.
4. Bob McNab.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all of the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)