|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Nick's girlfriend during a game against Exeter?
2. What does Nick wish clubs did more to prevent?
3. Who joins Nick and Jonathan for the game against Brighton?
4. What does Nick promise himself in this section?
5. What does Nick miss when he goes to a Charlton game?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize this section.
2. What problems does Nick have after college?
3. How does Nick's obsession with football rear its ugly head in this section?
4. How does Hornby foreshadow the tragedies that will happen later in the novel?
5. What does Nick think is the difference between men and women?
6. What does Nick find funny about his step brother's support for Arsenal?
7. What happened during the Hillsborough disaster?
8. How did the Heysel disaster affect the British game?
9. How does Nick's obsession with Arsenal affect him in the workplace?
10. How does Nick's life change when he moves to North London?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the following people think of Nick's obsession with Arsenal?
1. His mother.
2. His father.
3. His girlfriend.
4. His sister.
Essay Topic 2
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What affect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
In what way did Arsenal succeed in 1989? How did this success affect Nick? How does it affect the people close to him? How does this success prove a turning point in Nick's life?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)