|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nick realize about himself in comparison to the other Arsenal players?
2. Which set of fans does Nick say people love?
3. What team does Arsenal play on the twenty second of August, 1989?
4. Who do the Arsenal fans blame for the loss against Luton?
5. What does Nick say the supporters deserve after the Chelsea Arsenal game?
Short Essay Questions
1. How happens during the Heysel disaster?
2. What does Nick find funny about his step brother's support for Arsenal?
3. How did the Heysel disaster affect the British game?
4. What does Nick highlight about rituals in this section?
5. How does Nick get though the heartache of splitting up with his girlfriend?
6. What happened during the Hillsborough disaster?
7. Summarize this section.
8. Why is Nick unapologetic about hurting his friends?
9. Summarize this section.
10. How does Hornby foreshadow the tragedies that will happen later in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way did Arsenal succeed in 1989? How did this success affect Nick? How does it affect the people close to him? How does this success prove a turning point in Nick's life?
Essay Topic 2
How did the Heysel and Hillsborough disasters affect football worldwide? How does Nick show this change in the book? How do the changes affect Nick's own character?
Essay Topic 3
In what way do Nick's successes and failures mirror Arsenal's successes and failures? How does Nick try to distance himself from Arsenal's successes and failures?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)