|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role does Nick take up at his school?
2. Who does Arsenal play on the 13th of September, 1980?
3. What team does Arsenal play on the nineteenth of August 1987?
4. What is the title of the first chapter in this section?
5. What does Nick promise himself in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does racism at football games affect Nick?
2. Why does Hornby have to go home from Wembley in this section?
3. What does Nick think is the difference between men and women?
4. What problems does Nick have after college?
5. Summarize this section.
6. How did the Heysel disaster affect the British game?
7. How does Nick's life change when he moves to North London?
8. How did the Hillsborough disaster affect British football?
9. How does Nick's obsession with Arsenal affect him in the workplace?
10. What does Nick buying tickets in the all-seater part of the stadium signify?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Nick stopping smoking at the end of the book symbolize? What does it say about Nick's character that he was such a heavy smoker?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Why does Nick identify with Arsenal? How does Nick's obsession help him to get over difficult periods in his life? Does Nick's obsession have any negative side affects?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)