|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nick force his girlfriend to admit after he sulks after a game?
2. Why does Nick say he is not afraid of the situation at the Arsenal Southampton game?
3. What does Nick's family have to consult him about before planning any important events?
4. Who joins Nick and Jonathan for the game against Brighton?
5. Who does Arsenal play at Wembley in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Nick depressed in this section?
2. How does Nick's life change when he moves to North London?
3. Why is Nick ashamed of his countrymen in this section?
4. What does Nick buying tickets in the all-seater part of the stadium signify?
5. How does Hornby foreshadow the tragedies that will happen later in the novel?
6. How does racism at football games affect Nick?
7. What problems does Nick have after college?
8. How does Nick's obsession with football rear its ugly head in this section?
9. What does Augustus Caesar help Nick understand about life?
10. Summarize this section.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the opening chapters say about Nick's character? What problems does Nick have to get over in his life? How close is Nick's character to his character in real life?
Essay Topic 2
How does Nick's obsession with Arsenal become unhealthy? How does Nick control his obsession? In what way does Nick stopping smoking symbolize his recovery from his obsession?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all of the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)