|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who joins Arsenal at the same time Nick quits his teaching job?
2. What competition are Liverpool and Juventus competing in?
3. What does Nick's friend do with the sugar mouse after he drops it in the road?
4. What does Nick wish clubs did more to prevent?
5. What team does Arsenal play on the 19th of August 1980?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nick state is his worst fear in this section?
2. What does Augustus Caesar help Nick understand about life?
3. How does Nick's life change when he moves to North London?
4. Why is Nick ashamed of his countrymen in this section?
5. How did the Hillsborough disaster affect British football?
6. What problems does Nick have after college?
7. How happens during the Heysel disaster?
8. How did the Heysel disaster affect the British game?
9. Summarize this section.
10. How does Hornby foreshadow the tragedies that will happen later in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way do Nick's successes and failures mirror Arsenal's successes and failures? How does Nick try to distance himself from Arsenal's successes and failures?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
How does Nick's obsession with Arsenal become unhealthy? How does Nick control his obsession? In what way does Nick stopping smoking symbolize his recovery from his obsession?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)