|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nick's family have to consult him about before planning any important events?
2. What is the title of the first chapter in this section?
3. What does the girl Nick falls in love with study?
4. Who is Nick afraid his future son will end up supporting?
5. What does Nick force his girlfriend to admit after he sulks after a game?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nick win a bet with his girlfriend?
2. What does Augustus Caesar help Nick understand about life?
3. What does Nick think is the difference between men and women?
4. How does non-league football touch Nick in this section?
5. Summarize this section.
6. What problems does Nick have after college?
7. What does Nick find funny about his step brother's support for Arsenal?
8. What happened during the Hillsborough disaster?
9. What does Nick highlight about rituals in this section?
10. How does Hornby foreshadow the tragedies that will happen later in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Nick's views on hooliganism and hooligans? Into what do his views change as the story develops?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the Heysel disaster affect Nick so deeply? Do the students think Nick is right to apologize to his Italian students? Does Nick feels a sense of guilt himself? If so, why?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Nick identify with Arsenal? How does Nick's obsession help him to get over difficult periods in his life? Does Nick's obsession have any negative side affects?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)