|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nick force his girlfriend to admit after he sulks after a game?
2. What job does Nick start in this section?
3. What happens at the Arsenal Southampton game?
4. What competition does Arsenal win in this section?
5. At what ground does Arsenal play the FA Cup final?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nick highlight about rituals in this section?
2. What does Augustus Caesar help Nick understand about life?
3. Why does Hornby have to go home from Wembley in this section?
4. What does Nick think is the difference between men and women?
5. How does Nick take comfort in Neil Kaas?
6. How happens during the Heysel disaster?
7. How does racism at football games affect Nick?
8. How does Nick win a bet with his girlfriend?
9. How does Nick's girlfriend react to watching Arsenal play?
10. How does Hornby foreshadow the tragedies that will happen later in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
How does English football change from 1969 to 1991? What are the negative and positive aspects of this change?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the differences between the book and autobiography formats. What are the main elements of a book? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can novelists express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)