|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What team does Nick start watching as well as Arsenal?
2. What is the title of the opening chapter of this section?
3. What football team does Pete support?
4. What does Nick force his girlfriend to admit after he sulks after a game?
5. Who does Arsenal lose to in the 1978 FA Cup final?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Hillsborough disaster affect British football?
2. What does Nick state is his worst fear in this section?
3. How happens during the Heysel disaster?
4. How does Hornby foreshadow the tragedies that will happen later in the novel?
5. Why is Nick unapologetic about hurting his friends?
6. Why is Nick depressed in this section?
7. How does Nick win a bet with his girlfriend?
8. How did the Heysel disaster affect the British game?
9. How does Cambridge Utd.'s losing streak affect Nick?
10. What does Nick find funny about his step brother's support for Arsenal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all of the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
How did the Heysel and Hillsborough disasters affect football worldwide? How does Nick show this change in the book? How do the changes affect Nick's own character?
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What affect does it have on the story?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)