|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Brian's son?
2. Who does Nick think he knows more than?
3. What is Arsenal's nickname?
4. What does Hornby trade with his friends?
5. What does Nick's father tell Nick off about at the end of the game with Swindon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cambridge Utd. help Nick?
2. What are Nick's conditions for a perfect game?
3. Why does Nick enjoy the violence he witnesses at games?
4. How does this section highlight the theme of not fitting in?
5. Why does Nick stereotype women?
6. What does Nick observe at his first game for Arsenal?
7. How does Nick get closer to his father?
8. How does Nick feel when he sees himself on television?
9. How does Nick show his anger at his parent's divorce?
10. How does George get into trouble in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Nick's parent's divorce affect him? How does Nick use his love for Arsenal to get over his parent's divorce?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the differences between the book and autobiography formats. What are the main elements of a book? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can novelists express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)