|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Nick finally accept Arsenal's continental style of playing?
2. What team does Arsenal play on the fourteenth of October?
3. Who told Nick Arsenal would beat Swindon?
4. What two trophies does Arsenal win in 1971?
5. What does Hornby trade with his friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nick's interest in football help him to fit in at school?
2. How does Nick's attitude towards football change in this section?
3. Why does Nick stereotype women?
4. What does Nick observe at his first game for Arsenal?
5. What does Augustus Caesar help Nick understand about life?
6. In what way does Nick use football to rebel against his father?
7. Why does Nick enjoy the violence he witnesses at games?
8. Why is Nick ashamed of his countrymen in this section?
9. Why is Nick depressed in this section?
10. Who is Don Rogers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Nick identify with Arsenal? How does Nick's obsession help him to get over difficult periods in his life? Does Nick's obsession have any negative side affects?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the differences between the book and autobiography formats. What are the main elements of a book? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can novelists express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
Essay Topic 3
In what way do Nick's successes and failures mirror Arsenal's successes and failures? How does Nick try to distance himself from Arsenal's successes and failures?
This section contains 1,223 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)