|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the enclosure Rat and Nick stand in?
2. Why does Nick miss the opening game of the season?
3. Who chases Nick and other fans to the train station?
4. What does Hornby trade with his friends?
5. What does Nick say he enjoys being thought of as?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Nick use football to rebel against his father?
2. How does Nick get closer to his father?
3. How does George get into trouble in this section?
4. How does Nick's obsession with Arsenal show signs of becoming unhealthy?
5. Why does Nick stereotype women?
6. What does Nick say he thinks about Pele?
7. How does this section highlight the theme of not fitting in?
8. How does Nick lose his scarf in this section?
9. Why is Nick grateful to his first girlfriend, Carol?
10. How does Nick's interest in football help him to fit in at school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all of the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following Arsenal players and discuss Nick's views on each one. What role do they play in Nick's life?
1. Liam Brady.
2. Malcolm MacDonald.
3. Charlie Nicholas.
4. Bob McNab.
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What affect does it have on the story?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)