|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nick say are not funny?
2. What does Nick see for the first time in A Matter of Life and Death?
3. What is the title of the second chapter in this section?
4. What kind of books can a female colleague not believe Nick reads?
5. What national team does England play in May 1969?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nick stereotype women?
2. Why is the real reason Nick wants to leave the scout camp?
3. How does Nick lose his scarf in this section?
4. How does Nick show signs of the beginnings of his obsession with Arsenal in this section?
5. Why does Nick dislike talking to the players?
6. How does Nick's first disappointment with Arsenal affect him?
7. How does Nick get closer to his father?
8. How does Nick's interest in football help him to fit in at school?
9. What are Nick's conditions for a perfect game?
10. Who is Don Rogers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
What do the following people think of Nick's obsession with Arsenal?
1. His mother.
2. His father.
3. His girlfriend.
4. His sister.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)