|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role does Nick say he is playing at home?
2. Where does the man die?
3. How does Nick describe the boys in the Schoolboy enclosure?
4. Who does Arsenal play on February the 12th?
5. What stand does Nick start watching games from when he turns 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nick's first disappointment with Arsenal affect him?
2. What does Nick think of Malcolm MacDonald?
3. How does Nick cope at Cambridge University?
4. How does this section highlight the theme of not fitting in?
5. How does Nick get closer to his father?
6. How does Nick's interest in football help him to fit in at school?
7. How does the family's dad upset Nick in this section?
8. In what way does Nick use football to rebel against his father?
9. How does Nick's obsession with Arsenal show signs of becoming unhealthy?
10. How does Cambridge Utd. help Nick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way do Nick's successes and failures mirror Arsenal's successes and failures? How does Nick try to distance himself from Arsenal's successes and failures?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all of the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What affect does it have on the story?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)