|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nick's mum like to buy him?
2. How does Nick know Rat?
3. Why does Nick feel disconnected from Arsenal's double?
4. What is the name of Nick's girlfriend in this section?
5. What does Hornby often daydream about?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is the crowd different in the North Stand?
2. How does the family's dad upset Nick in this section?
3. Why is the real reason Nick wants to leave the scout camp?
4. In what way does nick's mum support his obsession for Arsenal?
5. How does Nick show signs of the beginnings of his obsession with Arsenal in this section?
6. Who is Don Rogers?
7. How does Nick's obsession with Arsenal show signs of becoming unhealthy?
8. How does Nick's first disappointment with Arsenal affect him?
9. How does Nick lose his scarf in this section?
10. How does Nick's interest in football help him to fit in at school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the differences between the book and autobiography formats. What are the main elements of a book? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can novelists express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
Essay Topic 2
How does Nick suggest football in the 90s shapes his character? What games and moments does he remember and why? How does football in the 90s mirror Nick's life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all of the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)