|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Nick start attending Arsenal games with when his father moves away?
2. Why does Nick miss the opening game of the season?
3. Where do the family Nick speaks to at the Reading game think he is from?
4. What does Nick start getting interested in during this section?
5. What does Nick tell the counselors to get out of scout camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Nick use football to rebel against his father?
2. In what way is the crowd different in the North Stand?
3. Why does Nick enjoy the violence he witnesses at games?
4. What are Nick's conditions for a perfect game?
5. Who is Don Rogers?
6. How does Nick get closer to his father?
7. How does Nick lose his scarf in this section?
8. What does Nick observe at his first game for Arsenal?
9. How does Nick show signs of the beginnings of his obsession with Arsenal in this section?
10. How does Nick think football helps in at this stage in his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What affect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
How did the Heysel and Hillsborough disasters affect football worldwide? How does Nick show this change in the book? How do the changes affect Nick's own character?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of person would Nick have developed into without football? What evidence is there that he would have developed into this person?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)