Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes Nick to his first football game?
2. What does Hornby say helps him to fit in at school?
3. Why is Nick feeling guilty at the beginning of this section?
4. Who is Arsenal playing the first time Hornby goes to a match?
5. What is Charlie George's punishment for making obscene gestures to the Derby fans?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nick think football helps in at this stage in his life?
2. Who is Don Rogers?
3. How does George get into trouble in this section?
4. What does Nick say he feels about himself in retrospect?
5. What does Nick find funny about his step brother's support for Arsenal?
6. Why is Nick depressed in this section?
7. What does Nick highlight about rituals in this section?
8. How does Nick's interest in football help him to fit in at school?
9. How does Nick's attitude towards football change in this section?
10. How does Nick show his anger at his parent's divorce?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the differences between the book and autobiography formats. What are the main elements of a book? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can novelists express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all of the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What affect does it have on the story?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)