|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Nick think he knows more than?
2. What is the title of the first chapter in this section?
3. What does Hornby trade with his friends?
4. What are Nick and his girlfriend drinking as they lie in bed?
5. What is the name of the first chapter in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nick observe at his first game for Arsenal?
2. In what way does Nick use football to rebel against his father?
3. Why is Nick grateful to his first girlfriend, Carol?
4. Why does Nick dislike talking to the players?
5. What are Nick's conditions for a perfect game?
6. How does this section highlight the theme of not fitting in?
7. Why does Nick enjoy the violence he witnesses at games?
8. How does Nick show signs of the beginnings of his obsession with Arsenal in this section?
9. What does Nick think of Malcolm MacDonald?
10. How does Nick feel when he sees himself on television?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Nick's parent's divorce affect him? How does Nick use his love for Arsenal to get over his parent's divorce?
Essay Topic 2
How does Nick suggest football in the 90s shapes his character? What games and moments does he remember and why? How does football in the 90s mirror Nick's life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all of the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)