|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do two boys steal from Nick when he leaves a game early?
(a) A scarf.
(b) A sweat band.
(c) A t-shirt.
(d) A hat.
2. What national team does England play in May 1969?
(a) Republic of Ireland.
(d) Northern Ireland.
3. What excites Nick about the Arsenal Southampton game?
(a) Arsenal has a new signing.
(b) Kevin Keegan is playing.
(c) He is on camera.
(d) Arsenal need one point to win the league.
4. Why does Nick think his father should support Chelsea?
(a) They are closer to him.
(b) They are a cup team.
(c) They are flamboyant.
(d) They are winners.
5. How does Nick feel when his mother leaves him a note about Arsenal losing a game?
6. Which Arsenal player makes obscene gestures to the Derby fans?
(a) George Graham.
(b) Charlie George.
(c) Charlie Nicholas.
(d) Liam Brady.
7. What does Nick say Carol gave him?
(a) Confidence in himself.
(b) A sex education.
(c) Independence from his family.
(d) A life outside of football.
8. What is Arsenal's nickname?
(a) The Reds.
(b) The Gunners.
(c) The Hammers.
(d) The Canaries.
9. What football team does Nick say his father should support?
(a) West Ham.
10. What game does Hornby write about in this book?
11. Why does Nick finally accept Arsenal's continental style of playing?
(a) They are hard to break down.
(b) He has no coice.
(c) They are winning.
(d) It is good to watch.
12. What two trophies does Arsenal win in 1971?
(a) The league and the FA Cup.
(b) The FA Cup and the League Cup.
(c) The league and the UEFA cup.
(d) The European Cup and the League Cup.
13. What kind of books can a female colleague not believe Nick reads?
(a) American literature.
(b) Football books.
(c) Feminist novels.
(d) Children's books.
14. What is the title of the first chapter in this section?
(a) A Matter of Life and Death.
(b) Graduation Day.
(c) A New Family.
(d) The Whole Package.
15. What team does Arsenal play on the fourth of November?
Short Answer Questions
1. What team is labeled boring?
2. What does Nick start getting interested in during this section?
3. How does Nick say he takes each of Arsenal's wins or losses?
4. What major event in Hornby's life happens just after his eleventh birthday?
5. What kind of style of football does Hornby say Arsenal starts playing?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)