|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to hooks, who are still socially isolated from each other?
2. In the scenario that hooks presents, what did the young girl notice about the women who appeared on TV or in magazines?
3. Freer-thinking younger generation black women in which decades felt free to confront white feminists about racism from hooks' perspective?
4. By the 1990s, hooks claims that half the women in America were which of the following?
5. Who is most prominent to hooks as paving the way for reconsideration of racist issues for society?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impact did hooks describe visionary lesbians having on the feminist movement?
2. As long as the patriarchal system of dominance survives, what are the consequences that hooks describes?
3. What productive suggestions does hooks make for employment?
4. What is the difference between a "woman-identified woman" and a "man-identified woman"?
5. What did the conservative press tend to say about feminists?
6. What are the consequences hooks describes of lacking sexual liberation?
7. Why were many radical feminists allegedly dismayed by their leaders?
8. When were black women finally able to voice their problems with racism in the feminist movement, according to hooks?
9. What types of violence constitute patriarchal violence?
10. Hooks claims that patriarchal violence is based on what beliefs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does hooks provide sufficient evidence to convince you as a reader that the feminist movement can end all forms of oppression and sexism? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of feminism in the workplace as hooks portrays it. Is feminism every inappropriate for the workplace? Why or why not? What role should feminism play in the workforce in general? Why do you think this is so?
Essay Topic 3
What does hooks mean when she says that one of feminism's greatest foes was the "enemy within"? Do you agree with her on this issue? Why or why not?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)