|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As opportunities grew for women, what type of solidarity began to wither, from hooks' perspective?
2. According to hooks, what gave permission for female bonding?
3. According to hooks, who did the media focus on when it came to feminist issues?
4. Hooks believes that young women growing up at the time the book was written will feel that what issue is no longer a problem?
5. What was the name of the professor who handed out one of hooks' poems?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does hooks believe caused the displacement of feminist revolutionaries?
2. What did hooks describe as being the consequences of unwanted pregnancies?
3. How does hooks think the feminist movement hope to reach a broad and diverse audience?
4. What effect did The Feminine Mystique have on feminism?
5. Why does hooks say that a feminist is made, not born?
6. According to hooks, what is the ideal situation for women in terms of reproductive rights?
7. In the 1960s, how did women show they were not constantly worried about being accepted by men for their appearance?
8. How did industries change as a result of changing women?
9. How did the mass media portray feminists?
10. What role does power feminism play in the downfall of feminism, according to hooks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does marriage have in the feminist movement according to hooks? Why might it be appropriate or inappropriate for marriage and romantic partnership to exist in feminist activism? Is marriage sexist? What arguments does hooks offer?
Essay Topic 2
How does hooks define sexism and oppression? Do you think that sexism and oppression have the same presence in modern culture as in the past? Why or why not? What does hooks seem to think, and how do you know?
Essay Topic 3
How did some women actually slow down the progress of the feminist movement in hooks' opinion?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)