|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By the 1990s, hooks claims that half the women in America were which of the following?
(d) Working women.
2. When some feminists within the movement sought to make the movement anti-male, what did hooks claim they deflected?
(a) White responsibility.
(b) Male responsibility.
(c) Black responsibility.
(d) Female responsibility.
3. Where does female circumcision occur as mentioned in the text?
4. Hooks claims that sexism could only be eliminated when men realized which of the following?
(a) They do not have to be masculine.
(b) They do not have to love all women.
(c) They do not have to be dominant over anyone.
(d) They do not have to hate women.
5. Which of the following is not a result of bad relationships, according to hooks?
(a) Child abuse.
(b) Lack of sex.
(c) Unhappy women.
(d) Unwanted pregnancies.
6. Hooks proposes that men and women should be given state aid for how long while they pursue a career?
(a) While they are in college.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 2 years.
(d) Less than a year.
7. Which of the following is closest to the definition of self-actualization?
(a) A woman who lives for her children.
(b) A woman who lives to serve her husband.
(c) A woman who identifies as a feminist.
(d) A woman who lives for herself.
8. Who does hooks specifically say should be paid more?
(c) Business women.
(d) Stay at home mothers.
9. Freer-thinking younger generation black women in which decades felt free to confront white feminists about racism from hooks' perspective?
(a) 1970s and 1980s.
(b) 1950s and 1960s.
(c) 1990s and 2000s.
(d) 1980s and 1990s.
10. Hooks said that which of the following did some women begin to understand that resulted in the focus of feminism shifting away from just the rights of privileged women?
(a) The position of children.
(b) The position of the black female.
(c) The position of black men.
(d) The position of white women.
11. Hooks describes risky cosmetic surgery as occurring where?
12. How did some feminists react to younger black women deflecting attention from sexism to racism, according to hooks?
(a) The black women were considered heroes.
(b) The black women were called traitors.
(c) The black women were applauded but their ideas were ignored.
(d) The black women were ignored.
13. According to hooks, who are still socially isolated from each other?
(a) Hispanic women and white women.
(b) Black women and white women.
(c) Black women and all other women.
(d) White women and all other women.
14. According to hooks, who began engaging in sadomasochistic behavior, driving heterosexual women to turn to patriarchal models of sexual freedom?
(c) Radical lesbians.
15. What seems to be lacking in availability to men to help secure an identity not related to sexism and domination, according to hooks?
(a) Job security.
(b) Educational venues.
(c) Government programs.
(d) Social outlets.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hooks proposed that more work needs to be done with the relationships between what kinds of women?
2. From hooks' point of view, why did many conservative presses consistently present feminists as "man haters"?
3. Hooks used this term to describe the feminist view of men that is not threatening.
4. According to hooks, where do sex clubs exist that feminists should be concerned with?
5. What is the other term that hooks uses to describe domestic violence?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)