|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hooks claimed that for feminism to regain momentum, what must be available for the masses, especially the young?
(a) Feminist groups and clubs.
(b) Educational opportunities.
(d) Career opportunities.
2. In what type of society is every voice heard, according to hooks?
(a) Patriarchal society.
(b) Feminist society.
(c) Neutral society.
(d) Revolutionary society.
3. Hooks claims that focusing on what type of rights is necessary to protect the freedom of women?
(a) Reproductive rights.
(b) Sexual rights.
(c) Career rights.
(d) Educational rights.
4. Who encouraged her students to think first about the fate of women from working-class backgrounds?
(a) Diane Middlebrook.
(b) Abigail Adams.
(c) bell hooks.
(d) Tillie Olsen.
5. Hooks claims that if men fully understood the negativity caused by sexism in our society, what would never be able to avoid the true goal of feminism?
(c) Universities and colleges.
(d) Mainstream media.
6. As opportunities grew for women, what type of solidarity began to wither, from hooks' perspective?
(a) Solidarity among men and women.
(b) Solidarity among all ages of women.
(c) Solidarity among all races of women.
(d) Solidarity among all classes of women.
7. In what decade were women's studies on a solid course toward acceptance?
8. Hooks reports that which group was most displaced by high-profile women being put in the spotlight of the feminist movement?
(a) Feminist revolutionaries.
(b) Working-class women.
(d) Feminist reformists.
9. What is the second factor that hooks alleges will diminish the necessity for abortions?
(a) Women having less sex.
(b) Meaningful sex education.
(c) Free contraception.
(d) Classes about contraception at community colleges.
10. According to the text, who runs mass media?
(a) White men.
(b) Jewish men.
(c) Black men.
(d) Asian men.
11. When the cosmetic industry worried feminism would ruin business, how did mass media portray feminists?
(a) As masculine and ugly.
(b) As stupid and naive.
(c) As intelligent and educated.
(d) As mean and rude.
12. Who were hooks' alleged stars of the feminist movement early on?
(a) White men.
(b) Black women.
(c) White women.
13. Where were the earliest feminist meetings held?
(a) In the homes of activists.
(b) In town halls.
(c) In government buildings.
(d) In classrooms.
14. Which of the following is most commonplace to hooks?
(b) Manic depression.
(c) Bipolar disorder.
15. What reason does hooks give for why some women adopted feminist jargon without understanding it?
(a) To fit in with their friends.
(b) To support and advocate feminism.
(c) To show intolerance of feminism.
(d) To further their careers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which groups took the most issue with abortion and contraception?
2. What type of woman seems to fill up fashion magazine advertisements, according to hooks?
3. Hooks claims that powerful men were threatened by which group of people?
4. Which type of woman does hooks describe as having the options of both contraceptives and abortions?
5. According to hooks, who lost their jobs in the 1970s?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)