|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hooks claims that when consciousness-raising groups re-emerge, who must be included?
2. What was the second type of new policy that hooks' claims as creating a new underclass of women and children who suffered as a result of patriarchy?
(a) Minimum wage laws.
(b) Dress code policies.
(c) Public strike laws.
(d) Welfare assistance.
3. What is defined as gaining power by the exploitation of others?
(a) Reformist feminism.
(b) True feminism.
(c) Power feminism.
(d) Intolerable feminism.
4. What was the name of the professor who handed out one of hooks' poems?
(a) Abigail Adams.
(b) Diane Middlebrook.
(c) Tillie Olsen.
(d) An anonymous woman.
5. What type of funding does hooks suggest is a goal for the feminist movement in order to read a broad and diverse audience?
(a) Feminist TV network.
(b) Feminist films.
(c) Feminist websites.
(d) Feminist publishing company.
6. When the cosmetic industry worried feminism would ruin business, how did mass media portray feminists?
(a) As stupid and naive.
(b) As masculine and ugly.
(c) As mean and rude.
(d) As intelligent and educated.
7. As a result of which group's presence, according to hooks, is male domination expected?
(c) Middle Easterners.
8. What type of woman seems to fill up fashion magazine advertisements, according to hooks?
(a) Blonde women.
(b) Unintelligent women.
(c) Thin women.
(d) Overweight women.
9. Hooks saw that some white leaders were at first resistant to including the struggles of what type of women in shaping feminist thought?
(a) Elderly women.
(b) Hispanic women.
(c) Black women.
(d) Teenage women.
10. The third goal of feminism is which of the following, according to bell hooks?
(a) To end racism.
(b) To end hatred.
(c) To end oppression.
(d) To end intolerance.
11. Betty Friedan's book focused on which type of woman?
(b) Business women.
12. Hooks claims that if men fully understood the negativity caused by sexism in our society, what would never be able to avoid the true goal of feminism?
(a) Mainstream media.
(c) Universities and colleges.
13. What reason does hooks give for why some women adopted feminist jargon without understanding it?
(a) To further their careers.
(b) To show intolerance of feminism.
(c) To support and advocate feminism.
(d) To fit in with their friends.
14. Hooks states that the first goal of feminism is which of the following?
(a) To end sexism.
(b) To end oppression of children.
(c) To begin wage wars.
(d) To end racism.
15. When feminism first began, hooks explains that which of the following was the second group feminism was split between?
(a) Revolutionary thinkers.
(b) Artistic thinkers.
(c) Cubist thinkers.
(d) Modernist thinkers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does hooks' "sisterhood" occur?
2. What is associated with the sexual revolution?
3. Hooks claims that powerful men were threatened by which group of people?
4. What does hooks propose the public does to avoid passing on misinformation about feminism?
5. Who should information about feminism be available to, according to hooks?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)