|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Faust decides to help the emperor, what does Mephistopheles turn him into?
2. When Mephistopheles asks Faust what he desires in Scene 1 of Act IV, how does Faust respond?
3. What does the emperor sign at the end of Act IV?
4. Who does Faust claim sent him to the emperor?
5. What does the chorus cry as Euphorion falls?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of setting within Faust. Make sure to discuss at least three different settings and how the descriptions of those settings are integral in the development of themes and characters.
Essay Topic 2
One of the strongest literary tools employed by Goethe in Faust is the use of foreshadowing. Give examples of where Goethe has employed foreshadowing and discuss in detail how this use of foreshadowing furthered the plot, developed character, or strengthened a theme.
Essay Topic 3
In Faust, Part II Mephistopheles serves as an archetypal Devil character. Using specific example from the text identify how Goethe connotes the Devil archetype. Is it an effective connotation. Why or why not?
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)