|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What follows Mephistopheles and Helen as they flee at the end of Scene 1 in Act III?
2. What item does Havequick first want to plunder from the emperor in Scene 3 of Act IV?
3. Just as Faust begins to tell Mephistopheles his true desires in Scene 1 of Act IV, what does Mephistopheles do?
4. What does Mephistopheles conjure in the battle to help the emperor in Act IV?
5. Where does Helen go after the chorus tries to assuage her fears in Scene 1 of Act III?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Faust bid his son to beware of in Act II?
2. What does Faust claim as his true desire to Mephistopheles in Scene 1 of Act IV?
3. What nostalgic tale does Mephistopheles recount in Act IV?
4. How does the chorus feel in regards to Arcadia in Act III?
5. What does Faust mean when he uses the term "modern" in regards to the palace offered by Mephistopheles in Act IV?
6. What prompts Euphorion to climb to great heights and fly?
7. What are the fears of the emperor at the conclusion of Act IV?
8. What does Faust discuss with his commanders when he learns that Menelaus is coming to regain Helen in Act III?
9. In Act III, what are some of Helen's doubts an fears about Menelaus's intentions?
10. For what reasons has the emperor's kingdom begun to collapse in Act IV?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout Faust, Goethe uses imagery as a metaphor for the plot and character development. Give three specific examples of these metaphors and how they relate specific actions in the plot and/or character development. Discuss why or why not they are effective as literary tools augmenting the general action.
Essay Topic 2
In Faust a lot of focus is given to the issues of good versus evil and beautiful versus ugly. Using specific characters and situations discuss how Goethe highlights this dichotomy and specifically how the idea of beautiful versus ugly relates to good versus evil.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of setting within Faust. Make sure to discuss at least three different settings and how the descriptions of those settings are integral in the development of themes and characters.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)