|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where have Faust and Helen been staying in Scene 3 of Act III?
2. Who take Euphorion's clothing?
3. Who first discovers Speed-booty and Havequick trying to plunder the emperor's things?
4. Where does Faust land at the beginning of Act IV?
5. What event do Faust and Mephistopheles see taking place at the end of Scene 1 of Act IV?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Faust a lot of focus is given to the issues of good versus evil and beautiful versus ugly. Using specific characters and situations discuss how Goethe highlights this dichotomy and specifically how the idea of beautiful versus ugly relates to good versus evil.
Essay Topic 2
Goethe relies heavily on classical myths and legends that are already established to point out a certain truth or moral. Identify at least two classical myths incorporated by Goethe into his work and discuss how he utilized these to strengthen his only establishment of an overarching moral.
Essay Topic 3
Deception as a means to get gain is a theme throughout Faust. Discuss three different instances where deception is achieved through the use of disguise. Based on these accounts of deception, what commentary is Faust making about the use of deception in society?
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)