|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the emperor sign at the end of Act IV?
2. What is the name of the son of Helen and Faust?
3. What item does Havequick first want to plunder from the emperor in Scene 3 of Act IV?
4. What realization does the archbishop make about the emperor's tactics in battle?
5. What does Maia steal from Hephaestus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Faust bid his son to beware of in Act II?
2. Initially after the battle how does the emperor feel in Act IV?
3. What are the fears of the emperor at the conclusion of Act IV?
4. What plan is the current general describing to the emperor at the beginning of Scene 2 in Act IV?
5. What does Faust discuss with his commanders when he learns that Menelaus is coming to regain Helen in Act III?
6. What does Faust claim as his true desire to Mephistopheles in Scene 1 of Act IV?
7. What nostalgic tale does Mephistopheles recount in Act IV?
8. What prompts Euphorion to climb to great heights and fly?
9. How was Faust transported in the beginning of Act IV?
10. Why does Helen leave Faust at the end of Act III?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Faust a lot of focus is given to the issues of good versus evil and beautiful versus ugly. Using specific characters and situations discuss how Goethe highlights this dichotomy and specifically how the idea of beautiful versus ugly relates to good versus evil.
Essay Topic 2
While Faust Part II would have been more accessible to the reader of the day, Goethe does still set forth some themes that are pertinent to today's society. Select at least on main theme discussed in Faust and show how it is an apt metaphor for contemporary society today.
Essay Topic 3
Selecting at least two formal elements of the novel, write an essay about how Goethe employs literary devices to enhance the moral of Faust Part II. Make sure and use specific textual examples to illustrate how these devices function.
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)