|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maia steal from Hephaestus?
2. Who is the ruler of the hiding place that Mephistopheles suggests to Helen?
3. What does the emperor sign at the end of Act IV?
4. What follows Mephistopheles and Helen as they flee at the end of Scene 1 in Act III?
5. In Act IV, what do the clouds eventually transform into in Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting of Scene 3 of Act IV.
2. Why is Faust's castle so alien to Helen?
3. What does Faust bid his son to beware of in Act II?
4. What prompts Euphorion to climb to great heights and fly?
5. How does the archbishop convince the emperor to give power to the church at the end of Act IV?
6. How was Faust transported in the beginning of Act IV?
7. What are the fears of the emperor at the conclusion of Act IV?
8. Why does Helen leave Faust at the end of Act III?
9. What does the chorus transform into at the end of Act III?
10. For what reasons has the emperor's kingdom begun to collapse in Act IV?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Faust a lot of focus is given to the issues of good versus evil and beautiful versus ugly. Using specific characters and situations discuss how Goethe highlights this dichotomy and specifically how the idea of beautiful versus ugly relates to good versus evil.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of setting within Faust. Make sure to discuss at least three different settings and how the descriptions of those settings are integral in the development of themes and characters.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout Faust Part II, Goethe employs differing use of meter and rhyme structure as formal elements of the novel. Identify at least two separate meters and rhyme structures used and discuss why Goethe shifted from one to the other in the novel.
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)