|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Faust embrace as he is lifted into the sky at the end of Act III?
2. What does the emperor give to the Arch-Marshal in Scene 3 of Act IV?
3. What does the emperor sign at the end of Act IV?
4. What event are the advisers of the emperor excited to plan in Scene 3 of Act IV?
5. Who does Mephistopheles disguise himself as in Act III?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the chorus feel in regards to Arcadia in Act III?
2. How does the archbishop convince the emperor to give power to the church at the end of Act IV?
3. Initially after the battle how does the emperor feel in Act IV?
4. What action does the emperor take towards his aides and marshals in Scene 3 of Act IV?
5. What plan is the current general describing to the emperor at the beginning of Scene 2 in Act IV?
6. In Act III, what are some of Helen's doubts an fears about Menelaus's intentions?
7. What does Faust bid his son to beware of in Act II?
8. Describe the landscape of Arcadia as in Act III?
9. How was Faust transported in the beginning of Act IV?
10. Why does Helen leave Faust at the end of Act III?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of setting within Faust. Make sure to discuss at least three different settings and how the descriptions of those settings are integral in the development of themes and characters.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the Christian conception of good and evil is contrasted with the conception of good and evil as held by the Greeks in the novel. Use specific textual examples to illustrate the different stances and beliefs of these two paradigms.
Essay Topic 3
A recurrent theme in Faust is that of power, and how characters desire or gain power. Compare and contrast the pursuit of power as exhibited by two different characters and how it either shifts throughout the novel or remains the same.
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)