|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is attempting to take the kingdom of the emperor in Act IV?
2. How does the emperor respond when he sees Faust in Scene 2 of Act IV?
3. What help does Faust claim that the necromant is willing to offer the emperor?
4. What country is the setting of Scene 1 in Act III?
5. What does Faust embrace as he is lifted into the sky at the end of Act III?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Faust discuss with his commanders when he learns that Menelaus is coming to regain Helen in Act III?
2. How does Mephistopheles treat Helen's servants in Scene 1 of Act III?
3. What is the attitude of the chorus towards Faust in Scene 2 of Act III?
4. For what reasons has the emperor's kingdom begun to collapse in Act IV?
5. What does the chorus transform into at the end of Act III?
6. How does the chorus describe Mephistopheles' appearance in Scene 1 of Act III?
7. Describe the setting of Scene 3 of Act IV.
8. Initially after the battle how does the emperor feel in Act IV?
9. Describe the landscape of Arcadia as in Act III?
10. Why does Helen leave Faust at the end of Act III?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Faust Part II, Faust passes through the world of politics and the world of the classical gods, meeting with success in taming the very forces of war and nature and yet he is still unsatisfied, what commentary is Goethe making about human nature with these theme? Use specific textual examples to establish any moral Goethe may be setting forth.
Essay Topic 2
In Faust a lot of focus is given to the issues of good versus evil and beautiful versus ugly. Using specific characters and situations discuss how Goethe highlights this dichotomy and specifically how the idea of beautiful versus ugly relates to good versus evil.
Essay Topic 3
Deception as a means to get gain is a theme throughout Faust. Discuss three different instances where deception is achieved through the use of disguise. Based on these accounts of deception, what commentary is Faust making about the use of deception in society?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)