|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who supposed to seal the royal documents in Scene 3 of Act IV?
2. What does Maia steal from Zeus?
3. What is Mephistopheles' final action in Act III?
4. Who is not one of the aides to Faust in Act IV?
5. What country is the setting of Scene 1 in Act III?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Faust claim as his true desire to Mephistopheles in Scene 1 of Act IV?
2. What does Faust mean when he uses the term "modern" in regards to the palace offered by Mephistopheles in Act IV?
3. What nostalgic tale does Mephistopheles recount in Act IV?
4. How does the chorus feel in regards to Arcadia in Act III?
5. How was Faust transported in the beginning of Act IV?
6. What does Faust discuss with his commanders when he learns that Menelaus is coming to regain Helen in Act III?
7. What plan is the current general describing to the emperor at the beginning of Scene 2 in Act IV?
8. Why is Faust's castle so alien to Helen?
9. Describe the landscape of Arcadia as in Act III?
10. How does Mephistopheles treat Helen's servants in Scene 1 of Act III?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the strongest literary tools employed by Goethe in Faust is the use of foreshadowing. Give examples of where Goethe has employed foreshadowing and discuss in detail how this use of foreshadowing furthered the plot, developed character, or strengthened a theme.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of setting within Faust. Make sure to discuss at least three different settings and how the descriptions of those settings are integral in the development of themes and characters.
Essay Topic 3
One theme that is accentuated by Goethe throughout Faust, but particularly in the masquerade carnival of Act I, is that of the establishment of social classes and the stereotypes that exist within them. Discuss at least three instances where this theme is displayed and comment on what societal commentary Goethe may be making by using this theme.
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)