|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country is the setting of Scene 1 in Act III?
2. What does the chorus ask Mephistopheles at the beginning of Scene 3 in Act III?
3. What drink does the arch-cupbearer plan to give the emperor at the celebrations?
4. What does the emperor give to the Arch-Marshal in Scene 3 of Act IV?
5. What does Maia steal from Hephaestus?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act III, what are some of Helen's doubts an fears about Menelaus's intentions?
2. Describe the setting of Scene 3 of Act IV.
3. Describe the landscape of Arcadia as in Act III?
4. What does Faust discuss with his commanders when he learns that Menelaus is coming to regain Helen in Act III?
5. What does Faust mean when he uses the term "modern" in regards to the palace offered by Mephistopheles in Act IV?
6. What does Faust bid his son to beware of in Act II?
7. What plan is the current general describing to the emperor at the beginning of Scene 2 in Act IV?
8. How does the archbishop convince the emperor to give power to the church at the end of Act IV?
9. How was Faust transported in the beginning of Act IV?
10. How are the heralds sent by the emperor to the rival emperor received in Scene 2 of Act IV?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel Faust's views of his purpose and striving change drastically; however, Mephistopheles views of his purpose remain somewhat the same. Discuss the dichotomy of how these view differ and how they reflect upon the character that holds them.
Essay Topic 2
What relationship between the classical and the modern does Goethe portray when he shifts from utilizing formal elements of Greek tragedy in his writing style of Act 2 and 3 and then utilizes more modern literary devices to describe the battle in Act 4. Using specific textual evidence discuss how Goethe draws attention to the juxtaposition of these two literary traditions.
Essay Topic 3
One theme that is accentuated by Goethe throughout Faust, but particularly in the masquerade carnival of Act I, is that of the establishment of social classes and the stereotypes that exist within them. Discuss at least three instances where this theme is displayed and comment on what societal commentary Goethe may be making by using this theme.
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)