|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the emperor respond when he sees Faust in Scene 2 of Act IV?
2. What is Helen afraid of in Scene 1 of Act III?
3. In Act IV, what do the clouds eventually transform into in Scene 1?
4. Where does Faust and Helen flee to at the end of Scene 2 in Act III?
5. Who is Helen married to in Scene 1 of Act III?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting of Scene 3 of Act IV.
2. What does Faust bid his son to beware of in Act II?
3. Describe the landscape of Arcadia as in Act III?
4. What does the chorus transform into at the end of Act III?
5. What does Faust discuss with his commanders when he learns that Menelaus is coming to regain Helen in Act III?
6. Initially after the battle how does the emperor feel in Act IV?
7. What nostalgic tale does Mephistopheles recount in Act IV?
8. What plan is the current general describing to the emperor at the beginning of Scene 2 in Act IV?
9. What does Faust claim as his true desire to Mephistopheles in Scene 1 of Act IV?
10. How are the heralds sent by the emperor to the rival emperor received in Scene 2 of Act IV?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A recurrent theme in Faust is that of power, and how characters desire or gain power. Compare and contrast the pursuit of power as exhibited by two different characters and how it either shifts throughout the novel or remains the same.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel Faust's views of his purpose and striving change drastically; however, Mephistopheles views of his purpose remain somewhat the same. Discuss the dichotomy of how these view differ and how they reflect upon the character that holds them.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of setting within Faust. Make sure to discuss at least three different settings and how the descriptions of those settings are integral in the development of themes and characters.
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)