|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Helen go after the chorus tries to assuage her fears in Scene 1 of Act III?
2. Why does Faust declare Lynceus's life forfeit?
3. What is the name of the leader of the chorus?
4. What does the emperor sign at the end of Act IV?
5. What does Helen ask Faust to teach her in Scene 2 of Act III?
Essay Topic 1
In Faust a lot of focus is given to the issues of good versus evil and beautiful versus ugly. Using specific characters and situations discuss how Goethe highlights this dichotomy and specifically how the idea of beautiful versus ugly relates to good versus evil.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the Christian conception of good and evil is contrasted with the conception of good and evil as held by the Greeks in the novel. Use specific textual examples to illustrate the different stances and beliefs of these two paradigms.
Essay Topic 3
One of the strongest literary tools employed by Goethe in Faust is the use of foreshadowing. Give examples of where Goethe has employed foreshadowing and discuss in detail how this use of foreshadowing furthered the plot, developed character, or strengthened a theme.
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)