|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first mind that is read by the homunculus?
2. Who tells the emperor they are out of wine in Scene 2 of Act I?
3. What are the names of the two philosophers that the homunculus comes upon in Scene 3 of Act II?
4. Where does Faust meet Mephistopheles in Scene 5 of Act I?
5. What is the setting of Scene 7 in Act I?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the philosophical debate featured in Scene 3 of Act II, what does Thales believe is the origin and basis of nature and matter?
2. When Mephistopheles pays off the debts of the emperor with notes what is the response of the court?
3. What does the homunculus say that Faust is dreaming of in Scene 2 of Act II?
4. Why is Mephistopheles upset that Faust tells the emperor he can conjure the spirits of Helen and Paris?
5. In the philosophical debate featured in Scene 3 of Act II, what does Anaxagoras believe is the origin and basis of nature and matter?
6. What are the Mothers that Faust visits in Scene 5?
7. What dichotomy is alluded to between the court of the emperor and the people of the kingdom in Scene 2?
8. What advice does Mephistopheles give to the young page who is having trouble attracting women in Act I?
9. Why does the homunculus take on the form of water at the end of Act II?
10. Describe Famulus's attitude towards learning and academic achievement.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Deception as a means to get gain is a theme throughout Faust. Discuss three different instances where deception is achieved through the use of disguise. Based on these accounts of deception, what commentary is Faust making about the use of deception in society?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout Faust Part II there are several journeys made by different characters. Discuss at least two specific journeys and how they could be viewed as extended metaphors for character development of the characters who undertake these journeys.
Essay Topic 3
While Faust Part II would have been more accessible to the reader of the day, Goethe does still set forth some themes that are pertinent to today's society. Select at least on main theme discussed in Faust and show how it is an apt metaphor for contemporary society today.
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)