|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has the emperor requested Faust to conjure Helen and Paris?
2. Who does the Emperor ask to see in the beginning of Scene 2 of Act I?
3. What are the female vampires called who Mephistopheles meets in Act II?
4. What news does the marshal bring the emperor in the beginning of Scene 4 of Act I?
5. Who was an earlier student of Faust that now works as his assistant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Faust seeking Helen in Act II?
2. What is a homunculus and how is it made?
3. Why does the homunculus take on the form of water at the end of Act II?
4. What advice does Mephistopheles give to the young page who is having trouble attracting women in Act I?
5. Describe the pleasing landscape that Faust finds himself in at the beginning of this work (Act I).
6. Explain the circumstances at the end of Scene 7 of Act I, that lead to Faust being found unconscious on the floor.
7. What does the Boy-charioteer typify?
8. Why is Mephistopheles unable to see into Faust's dreams?
9. What dichotomy is alluded to between the court of the emperor and the people of the kingdom in Scene 2?
10. What is the subject of the prologue of Scene 3 by the Thessalonian witch, Erichto?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One theme that is accentuated by Goethe throughout Faust, but particularly in the masquerade carnival of Act I, is that of the establishment of social classes and the stereotypes that exist within them. Discuss at least three instances where this theme is displayed and comment on what societal commentary Goethe may be making by using this theme.
Essay Topic 2
Goethe relies heavily on classical myths and legends that are already established to point out a certain truth or moral. Identify at least two classical myths incorporated by Goethe into his work and discuss how he utilized these to strengthen his only establishment of an overarching moral.
Essay Topic 3
What is Goethe's writing style? Discuss both the mechanical aspect of his writing and his "voice" throughout the novel. Make sure and discuss what literary tools and devices he relies on most and what specific parts of the text reflect his voice?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)