|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which famous figure did Chiron tutor?
2. What is the name of the daughter of Nereus, who is expected to return to the sea in Act II?
3. Why does Faust try to dispel Paris in Scene 7 of Act I?
4. How does the homunculus appear in the beginning of Scene 3 of Act II?
5. What is the opinion of the men of court of Helen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lynceus alert Faust of in Scene 2 of Act V?
2. How does Mephistopheles treat Helen's servants in Scene 1 of Act III?
3. What does Faust bid his son to beware of in Act II?
4. What does Faust ask of Mephistopheles in Scene 2 of Act V?
5. What is Faust angry with Mephistopheles in Scene 3 of Act V?
6. What does the Boy-charioteer typify?
7. What does the Chancellor say about the judge "who cannot punish crime" in Scene 2?
8. How does the chorus feel in regards to Arcadia in Act III?
9. What does Faust claim as his true desire to Mephistopheles in Scene 1 of Act IV?
10. In the philosophical debate featured in Scene 3 of Act II, what does Anaxagoras believe is the origin and basis of nature and matter?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of setting within Faust. Make sure to discuss at least three different settings and how the descriptions of those settings are integral in the development of themes and characters.
Essay Topic 2
What relationship between the classical and the modern does Goethe portray when he shifts from utilizing formal elements of Greek tragedy in his writing style of Act 2 and 3 and then utilizes more modern literary devices to describe the battle in Act 4. Using specific textual evidence discuss how Goethe draws attention to the juxtaposition of these two literary traditions.
Essay Topic 3
Selecting at least two formal elements of the novel, write an essay about how Goethe employs literary devices to enhance the moral of Faust Part II. Make sure and use specific textual examples to illustrate how these devices function.
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)