|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What token does Mephistopheles give Lady to help her regain the affection of her lover in Scene 6 of Act I?
2. Which is not a name of the graces mentioned in Scene 3 of Act I?
3. What is the name of the daughter of Nereus, who is expected to return to the sea in Act II?
4. What reason does the homunculus tell Mephistopheles, to encourage him to take Faust to the classical Walpurgis Night?
5. What two "orders" support the throne, according to the Chancellor in Scene 2 of Act I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the Mothers that Faust visits in Scene 5?
2. What does the Boy-charioteer typify?
3. What does the Chancellor say about the judge "who cannot punish crime" in Scene 2?
4. When Mephistopheles pays off the debts of the emperor with notes what is the response of the court?
5. Explain the circumstances at the end of Scene 7 of Act I, that lead to Faust being found unconscious on the floor.
6. What is the subject of the prologue of Scene 3 by the Thessalonian witch, Erichto?
7. Describe Baccalaureus's attitude towards learning and academic achievement.
8. Why does Mephistopheles have a hard time fitting in on ancient classical soil?
9. In the philosophical debate featured in Scene 3 of Act II, what does Anaxagoras believe is the origin and basis of nature and matter?
10. In the philosophical debate featured in Scene 3 of Act II, what does Thales believe is the origin and basis of nature and matter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the strongest literary tools employed by Goethe in Faust is the use of foreshadowing. Give examples of where Goethe has employed foreshadowing and discuss in detail how this use of foreshadowing furthered the plot, developed character, or strengthened a theme.
Essay Topic 2
While Faust Part II would have been more accessible to the reader of the day, Goethe does still set forth some themes that are pertinent to today's society. Select at least on main theme discussed in Faust and show how it is an apt metaphor for contemporary society today.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the dramatic structure of Faust Part II. Use textual evidence to designate the expository, rising action, the climax, falling action and denouement in this literary work.
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)