|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What token does Mephistopheles give Lady to help her regain the affection of her lover in Scene 6 of Act I?
2. What does Mephistopheles introduce himself as to the Sphinxes and sirens?
3. According to Faust's dream, who is the father of Helen?
4. What does Wagner believe the sound of the bell accompanying Mephistopheles in Act II signals?
5. According to Mephistopheles, what must one possess to receive miracles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the pleasing landscape that Faust finds himself in at the beginning of this work (Act I).
2. Why does the homunculus take on the form of water at the end of Act II?
3. What is the primary focus and pursuit of the emperor?
4. What advice does Mephistopheles give to the young page who is having trouble attracting women in Act I?
5. How does Mephistopheles become the new fool to the emperor?
6. What does the Chancellor say about the judge "who cannot punish crime" in Scene 2?
7. What does the Boy-charioteer typify?
8. Describe the appearance of the emperor during his entrance to the Carnival Masquerade.
9. Explain the circumstances at the end of Scene 7 of Act I, that lead to Faust being found unconscious on the floor.
10. When Mephistopheles pays off the debts of the emperor with notes what is the response of the court?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One theme that is accentuated by Goethe throughout Faust, but particularly in the masquerade carnival of Act I, is that of the establishment of social classes and the stereotypes that exist within them. Discuss at least three instances where this theme is displayed and comment on what societal commentary Goethe may be making by using this theme.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout Faust Part II, Goethe employs differing use of meter and rhyme structure as formal elements of the novel. Identify at least two separate meters and rhyme structures used and discuss why Goethe shifted from one to the other in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What is Goethe's writing style? Discuss both the mechanical aspect of his writing and his "voice" throughout the novel. Make sure and discuss what literary tools and devices he relies on most and what specific parts of the text reflect his voice?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)