|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what setting does Faust seek sleep in Act I?
2. Who responds to Mephistopheles ringing the bell in Act II?
3. What reason does the homunculus tell Mephistopheles, to encourage him to take Faust to the classical Walpurgis Night?
4. What are the names of the two philosophers that the homunculus comes upon in Scene 3 of Act II?
5. What science is Wagner practicing in the laboratory when Mephistopheles comes upon him in Scene 2 of Act II?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the philosophical debate featured in Scene 3 of Act II, what does Anaxagoras believe is the origin and basis of nature and matter?
2. Why does Mephistopheles have a hard time fitting in on ancient classical soil?
3. What does the Boy-charioteer typify?
4. What is the subject of the prologue of Scene 3 by the Thessalonian witch, Erichto?
5. Describe Famulus's attitude towards learning and academic achievement.
6. What is symbolic about Faust's unconsciousness in the beginning of Act II?
7. Why is Faust seeking Helen in Act II?
8. Describe Baccalaureus's attitude towards learning and academic achievement.
9. Why is Mephistopheles upset that Faust tells the emperor he can conjure the spirits of Helen and Paris?
10. Describe the appearance of the emperor during his entrance to the Carnival Masquerade.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What relationship between the classical and the modern does Goethe portray when he shifts from utilizing formal elements of Greek tragedy in his writing style of Act 2 and 3 and then utilizes more modern literary devices to describe the battle in Act 4. Using specific textual evidence discuss how Goethe draws attention to the juxtaposition of these two literary traditions.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout Faust Part II, Goethe employs differing use of meter and rhyme structure as formal elements of the novel. Identify at least two separate meters and rhyme structures used and discuss why Goethe shifted from one to the other in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What is Goethe's writing style? Discuss both the mechanical aspect of his writing and his "voice" throughout the novel. Make sure and discuss what literary tools and devices he relies on most and what specific parts of the text reflect his voice?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)