|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Faust distribute to the crowd in Scene 3 of Act I?
2. What are the names of the two philosophers that the homunculus comes upon in Scene 3 of Act II?
3. In what setting does Faust seek sleep in Act I?
4. Why has the emperor requested Faust to conjure Helen and Paris?
5. Which figure guides the living Colossus in Scene 3 of Act I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Boy-charioteer typify?
2. Describe Famulus's attitude towards learning and academic achievement.
3. Explain the circumstances at the end of Scene 7 of Act I, that lead to Faust being found unconscious on the floor.
4. What is a homunculus and how is it made?
5. Why does Mephistopheles have a hard time fitting in on ancient classical soil?
6. Why does the homunculus take on the form of water at the end of Act II?
7. When Mephistopheles pays off the debts of the emperor with notes what is the response of the court?
8. What are the Mothers that Faust visits in Scene 5?
9. Describe Baccalaureus's attitude towards learning and academic achievement.
10. What is the primary focus and pursuit of the emperor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Faust Part II, Faust passes through the world of politics and the world of the classical gods, meeting with success in taming the very forces of war and nature and yet he is still unsatisfied, what commentary is Goethe making about human nature with these theme? Use specific textual examples to establish any moral Goethe may be setting forth.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of setting within Faust. Make sure to discuss at least three different settings and how the descriptions of those settings are integral in the development of themes and characters.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel Faust's views of his purpose and striving change drastically; however, Mephistopheles views of his purpose remain somewhat the same. Discuss the dichotomy of how these view differ and how they reflect upon the character that holds them.
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)