|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Faust's dream, who is the mother of Helen?
2. What is the opinion of the men of court of Helen?
3. What news does the marshal bring the emperor in the beginning of Scene 4 of Act I?
4. What holiday is the court preparing to celebrate in Act I?
5. What shape does Proteus take to transport the homunculus into the ocean on his back?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the appearance of the emperor during his entrance to the Carnival Masquerade.
2. What are the Mothers that Faust visits in Scene 5?
3. In the philosophical debate featured in Scene 3 of Act II, what does Thales believe is the origin and basis of nature and matter?
4. What dichotomy is alluded to between the court of the emperor and the people of the kingdom in Scene 2?
5. Describe Baccalaureus's attitude towards learning and academic achievement.
6. Why is Faust seeking Helen in Act II?
7. Why does the homunculus take on the form of water at the end of Act II?
8. What is a homunculus and how is it made?
9. What does the homunculus say that Faust is dreaming of in Scene 2 of Act II?
10. What is symbolic about Faust's unconsciousness in the beginning of Act II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Goethe's writing style? Discuss both the mechanical aspect of his writing and his "voice" throughout the novel. Make sure and discuss what literary tools and devices he relies on most and what specific parts of the text reflect his voice?
Essay Topic 2
One theme that is accentuated by Goethe throughout Faust, but particularly in the masquerade carnival of Act I, is that of the establishment of social classes and the stereotypes that exist within them. Discuss at least three instances where this theme is displayed and comment on what societal commentary Goethe may be making by using this theme.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout Faust Part II there are several journeys made by different characters. Discuss at least two specific journeys and how they could be viewed as extended metaphors for character development of the characters who undertake these journeys.
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)