|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the beginning of Act IV, what form do the clouds take on first?
(a) The form of Faust.
(b) The form of Zeus and Ares.
(c) The image of Mephisotpheles.
(d) The form of Leda and Helen.
2. When Mephistopheles asks Faust what he desires in Scene 1 of Act IV, how does Faust respond?
(a) Faust tells Mephistopheles he desires earthly powers.
(b) Faust refuses to respond to Mephistopheles's question.
(c) Faust tells Mephistopheles to guess his desires.
(d) Faust claims he does not desire anything.
3. Who is Helen married to in Scene 1 of Act III?
4. Which God, does Mephistopheles tell the creation myth of to the chorus in Act III?
5. What does Mephistopheles tell Helen that frightens her in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) That her husband intends to sacrifice her.
(b) The he is going to eat her.
(c) That the servants are planning on killing her.
(d) That she will quicly grow old and ugly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is not a member of Faust's entourage that is mentioned in Scene 2 of Act III?
2. What does Maia steal from Hephaestus?
3. What follows Mephistopheles and Helen as they flee at the end of Scene 1 in Act III?
4. What does the chorus ask Mephistopheles at the beginning of Scene 3 in Act III?
5. Where does Helen go after the chorus tries to assuage her fears in Scene 1 of Act III?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prompts Euphorion to climb to great heights and fly?
2. What does the chorus transform into at the end of Act III?
3. What does Faust bid his son to beware of in Act II?
4. Why is Faust's castle so alien to Helen?
5. Describe the landscape of Arcadia as in Act III?
6. How are the heralds sent by the emperor to the rival emperor received in Scene 2 of Act IV?
7. What nostalgic tale does Mephistopheles recount in Act IV?
8. What does Faust mean when he uses the term "modern" in regards to the palace offered by Mephistopheles in Act IV?
9. What does Faust discuss with his commanders when he learns that Menelaus is coming to regain Helen in Act III?
10. Describe the setting of Scene 3 of Act IV.
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)