|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maia steal from Poseidon?
(a) His crown.
(b) His sword.
(c) His trident.
(d) His horse.
2. Just as Faust begins to tell Mephistopheles his true desires in Scene 1 of Act IV, what does Mephistopheles do?
(a) Conjure Wagner to their location.
(b) He begins to ignore Faust and continue talking of fame.
(c) Leave the scene.
(d) Interupt him.
3. What event do Faust and Mephistopheles see taking place at the end of Scene 1 of Act IV?
(a) They witness a battle taking place in the emporer's kingdom.
(b) They wintess a procession of women to a ritual sacrifice.
(c) The witness a shooting star.
(d) The witness the rape of Leda.
4. What event does Mephistopheles claim caused the creation of the mountains and valleys in Act IV?
(a) The exile of the devil.
(b) He does not know how they were created.
(c) A meteor shower.
(d) The birth of a new God.
5. What does Menelaus order Helen to do before he left her in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) Prepare a feast for his return.
(b) Prepare a sacrifical hearth.
(c) Bathe and robe herself.
(d) Take a vow of silence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the leader of the chorus?
2. Why does Faust declare Lynceus's life forfeit?
3. What does Mephistopheles tell Helen that frightens her in Scene 1 of Act III?
4. What is the name of Faust's lookout?
5. Which God, does Mephistopheles tell the creation myth of to the chorus in Act III?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Faust transported in the beginning of Act IV?
2. What does Faust claim as his true desire to Mephistopheles in Scene 1 of Act IV?
3. Describe the landscape of Arcadia as in Act III?
4. How does the chorus feel in regards to Arcadia in Act III?
5. What action does the emperor take towards his aides and marshals in Scene 3 of Act IV?
6. How does the chorus describe Mephistopheles' appearance in Scene 1 of Act III?
7. For what reasons has the emperor's kingdom begun to collapse in Act IV?
8. In Act III, what are some of Helen's doubts an fears about Menelaus's intentions?
9. What does Faust mean when he uses the term "modern" in regards to the palace offered by Mephistopheles in Act IV?
10. Why is Faust's castle so alien to Helen?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)