|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mephistopheles asks Faust what he desires in Scene 1 of Act IV, how does Faust respond?
(a) Faust tells Mephistopheles to guess his desires.
(b) Faust refuses to respond to Mephistopheles's question.
(c) Faust claims he does not desire anything.
(d) Faust tells Mephistopheles he desires earthly powers.
2. What item does Havequick first want to plunder from the emperor in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) A steel-club.
(b) A large shield.
(c) The emperor's crown.
(d) A bag of coins.
3. What does the archbishop want the emperor to build on the land near the battlefield?
(a) A new palace.
(b) A grand church.
(c) An edifice to the fallen soldiers.
(d) A triumphal arch.
4. Where does Faust land at the beginning of Act IV?
(a) In a river.
(b) Back in his study.
(c) In his castle in the north.
(d) On a mountain.
5. Who take Euphorion's clothing?
(c) No one takes his clothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the necromant of Sabine Norcia indebted to the emperor?
2. Who is the ruler of the hiding place that Mephistopheles suggests to Helen?
3. What does the chorus ask Mephistopheles at the beginning of Scene 3 in Act III?
4. What does Maia steal from Hephaestus?
5. What is the name of the leader of the chorus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the fears of the emperor at the conclusion of Act IV?
2. What does Faust discuss with his commanders when he learns that Menelaus is coming to regain Helen in Act III?
3. Initially after the battle how does the emperor feel in Act IV?
4. What nostalgic tale does Mephistopheles recount in Act IV?
5. What does the chorus transform into at the end of Act III?
6. What does Faust claim as his true desire to Mephistopheles in Scene 1 of Act IV?
7. Describe the landscape of Arcadia as in Act III?
8. How was Faust transported in the beginning of Act IV?
9. What is the attitude of the chorus towards Faust in Scene 2 of Act III?
10. What plan is the current general describing to the emperor at the beginning of Scene 2 in Act IV?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)