|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Just as Faust begins to tell Mephistopheles his true desires in Scene 1 of Act IV, what does Mephistopheles do?
(a) Interupt him.
(b) Leave the scene.
(c) Conjure Wagner to their location.
(d) He begins to ignore Faust and continue talking of fame.
2. What is Helen afraid of in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) She is afraid of being attacked by disgruntled servants.
(b) She is afraid she will never again see Paris.
(c) She is afraid of being sacrificed by Menelaus.
(d) She is afraid of losing her beauty.
3. What is the name of the son of Helen and Faust?
4. In Act IV, what do the clouds eventually transform into in Scene 1?
(a) They completely evaporate and are formless.
(b) The form of Euphorion.
(c) The form of a dove.
(d) The form of Gretchen.
5. As the chorus insults Mephistopheles in Act III, what is their intention?
(a) They hope to make him laugh.
(b) They hope to learn his name.
(c) They hope to scare him away.
(d) They hope he will lose his temper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event are the advisers of the emperor excited to plan in Scene 3 of Act IV?
2. What authority does the archbishop demand from the emperor in Scene 3 of Act IV?
3. What does the emperor give to the Arch-Marshal in Scene 3 of Act IV?
4. What power does Mephistopheles first offer Faust in Scene 1 of Act IV?
5. What does the chorus ask Mephistopheles at the beginning of Scene 3 in Act III?
Short Essay Questions
1. What action does the emperor take towards his aides and marshals in Scene 3 of Act IV?
2. What is the attitude of the chorus towards Faust in Scene 2 of Act III?
3. How does the archbishop convince the emperor to give power to the church at the end of Act IV?
4. How does the chorus feel in regards to Arcadia in Act III?
5. What does Faust claim as his true desire to Mephistopheles in Scene 1 of Act IV?
6. Initially after the battle how does the emperor feel in Act IV?
7. What does the chorus transform into at the end of Act III?
8. How does Mephistopheles treat Helen's servants in Scene 1 of Act III?
9. How does the chorus describe Mephistopheles' appearance in Scene 1 of Act III?
10. What does Faust mean when he uses the term "modern" in regards to the palace offered by Mephistopheles in Act IV?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)