|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is not a member of Faust's entourage that is mentioned in Scene 2 of Act III?
(b) His entourage is not described.
(c) A fool.
2. What is the name of the leader of the chorus?
3. What does the emperor sign at the end of Act IV?
(a) A proclamation declaring the festivities.
(b) A deed of the land to Faust.
(c) A contract with the archbishop.
(d) A treaty with the rival emperor.
4. What realization does the archbishop make about the emperor's tactics in battle?
(a) That the emperor used spies in the battle.
(b) He knows nothing about the emperor's tactics.
(c) That the emperor bribed opposing troops.
(d) That the emperor has used magic to win the battle.
5. What country is the setting of Scene 1 in Act III?
(d) The country is not given.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Faust land at the beginning of Act IV?
2. What does Maia steal from Hephaestus?
3. Who is attempting to take the kingdom of the emperor in Act IV?
4. What follows Mephistopheles and Helen as they flee at the end of Scene 1 in Act III?
5. Where have Faust and Helen been staying in Scene 3 of Act III?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act III, what are some of Helen's doubts an fears about Menelaus's intentions?
2. How does the chorus describe Mephistopheles' appearance in Scene 1 of Act III?
3. For what reasons has the emperor's kingdom begun to collapse in Act IV?
4. What plan is the current general describing to the emperor at the beginning of Scene 2 in Act IV?
5. What does the chorus transform into at the end of Act III?
6. What does Faust claim as his true desire to Mephistopheles in Scene 1 of Act IV?
7. What does Faust discuss with his commanders when he learns that Menelaus is coming to regain Helen in Act III?
8. Initially after the battle how does the emperor feel in Act IV?
9. Why is Faust's castle so alien to Helen?
10. Why does Helen leave Faust at the end of Act III?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)