|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Helen go after the chorus tries to assuage her fears in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) She flees to Arcadia.
(b) Into the palace.
(c) She goes into Athena's temple.
(d) Into a grove of trees.
2. Who supposed to seal the royal documents in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) The Arch-bishop.
(b) The emperor.
(d) The Chancery.
3. What does Mephistopheles conjure in the battle to help the emperor in Act IV?
(a) A group of fighting centaurs.
(c) Sea Monsters and St. Elmo's fire.
(d) A hurricane.
4. What country is the setting of Scene 1 in Act III?
(c) The country is not given.
5. Just as Faust begins to tell Mephistopheles his true desires in Scene 1 of Act IV, what does Mephistopheles do?
(a) Conjure Wagner to their location.
(b) Leave the scene.
(c) Interupt him.
(d) He begins to ignore Faust and continue talking of fame.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles tell Helen that frightens her in Scene 1 of Act III?
2. What item does Havequick first want to plunder from the emperor in Scene 3 of Act IV?
3. What prohibits Speed-booty and Havequick from packing away a pile of gold on their backs?
4. What does Helen ask Faust to teach her in Scene 2 of Act III?
5. In the beginning of Act IV, what form do the clouds take on first?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prompts Euphorion to climb to great heights and fly?
2. What action does the emperor take towards his aides and marshals in Scene 3 of Act IV?
3. How does the archbishop convince the emperor to give power to the church at the end of Act IV?
4. For what reasons has the emperor's kingdom begun to collapse in Act IV?
5. What does Faust claim as his true desire to Mephistopheles in Scene 1 of Act IV?
6. What does Faust mean when he uses the term "modern" in regards to the palace offered by Mephistopheles in Act IV?
7. What is the attitude of the chorus towards Faust in Scene 2 of Act III?
8. What are the fears of the emperor at the conclusion of Act IV?
9. Describe the landscape of Arcadia as in Act III?
10. What does the chorus transform into at the end of Act III?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)