|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles tell Helen that frightens her in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) That she will quicly grow old and ugly.
(b) That her husband intends to sacrifice her.
(c) That the servants are planning on killing her.
(d) The he is going to eat her.
2. How does the emperor respond when he sees Faust in Scene 2 of Act IV?
(a) He is sad.
(b) He does not recognize him.
(c) He is fearful that Faust has come to seize the kingdom.
(d) He is overjoyed and happy.
3. How does the chorus describe Menelaus in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) As a coward.
(b) As a villan.
(c) They do not mention Menelaus.
(d) As a hero.
4. What event do Faust and Mephistopheles see taking place at the end of Scene 1 of Act IV?
(a) The witness a shooting star.
(b) They wintess a procession of women to a ritual sacrifice.
(c) They witness a battle taking place in the emporer's kingdom.
(d) The witness the rape of Leda.
5. What does Helen ask Faust to teach her in Scene 2 of Act III?
(a) To play a lute.
(b) To speak in rhyme.
(c) To sing.
(d) To dance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item does Havequick first want to plunder from the emperor in Scene 3 of Act IV?
2. What does Menelaus order Helen to do before he left her in Scene 1 of Act III?
3. What is Mephistopheles' final action in Act III?
4. What power does Mephistopheles first offer Faust in Scene 1 of Act IV?
5. What does Maia steal from Hephaestus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Faust mean when he uses the term "modern" in regards to the palace offered by Mephistopheles in Act IV?
2. What is the attitude of the chorus towards Faust in Scene 2 of Act III?
3. What does the chorus transform into at the end of Act III?
4. How are the heralds sent by the emperor to the rival emperor received in Scene 2 of Act IV?
5. Describe the landscape of Arcadia as in Act III?
6. What are the fears of the emperor at the conclusion of Act IV?
7. What action does the emperor take towards his aides and marshals in Scene 3 of Act IV?
8. How was Faust transported in the beginning of Act IV?
9. What plan is the current general describing to the emperor at the beginning of Scene 2 in Act IV?
10. How does the archbishop convince the emperor to give power to the church at the end of Act IV?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)