|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What follows Mephistopheles and Helen as they flee at the end of Scene 1 in Act III?
(b) A group of phorkyads.
(c) Several hopeful suitors for Helen.
(d) A dark cloud.
2. What does Helen ask Faust to teach her in Scene 2 of Act III?
(a) To sing.
(b) To play a lute.
(c) To dance.
(d) To speak in rhyme.
3. What does Mephistopheles conjure in the battle to help the emperor in Act IV?
(b) A group of fighting centaurs.
(c) Sea Monsters and St. Elmo's fire.
(d) A hurricane.
4. What is Faust wearing when he first meets with the emperor in Act IV?
(a) He is dressed as poor villager.
(b) Long luxurient robes.
(c) He is in the classical dress of Greece.
(d) Armor complete with a half-visor.
5. What event do Faust and Mephistopheles see taking place at the end of Scene 1 of Act IV?
(a) They witness a battle taking place in the emporer's kingdom.
(b) They wintess a procession of women to a ritual sacrifice.
(c) The witness the rape of Leda.
(d) The witness a shooting star.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the archbishop accuse the emperor of being in league with in Scene 3 of Act IV?
2. How does Faust account for the formation of mountains and valleys in Act IV?
3. What help does Faust claim that the necromant is willing to offer the emperor?
4. What prohibits Speed-booty and Havequick from packing away a pile of gold on their backs?
5. What does the archbishop want the emperor to build on the land near the battlefield?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the fears of the emperor at the conclusion of Act IV?
2. What is the attitude of the chorus towards Faust in Scene 2 of Act III?
3. How are the heralds sent by the emperor to the rival emperor received in Scene 2 of Act IV?
4. Describe the setting of Scene 3 of Act IV.
5. What does the chorus transform into at the end of Act III?
6. Why does Helen leave Faust at the end of Act III?
7. What plan is the current general describing to the emperor at the beginning of Scene 2 in Act IV?
8. Why is Faust's castle so alien to Helen?
9. How does Mephistopheles treat Helen's servants in Scene 1 of Act III?
10. For what reasons has the emperor's kingdom begun to collapse in Act IV?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)