|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the ruler of the hiding place that Mephistopheles suggests to Helen?
2. What is Faust wearing when he first meets with the emperor in Act IV?
(a) He is in the classical dress of Greece.
(b) Armor complete with a half-visor.
(c) Long luxurient robes.
(d) He is dressed as poor villager.
3. Who tells Faust and Helen that Menelaus has arrived with his armies?
(d) No one tells Faust, he sees his approach.
4. How does the emperor respond when he sees Faust in Scene 2 of Act IV?
(a) He does not recognize him.
(b) He is fearful that Faust has come to seize the kingdom.
(c) He is sad.
(d) He is overjoyed and happy.
5. Who does Mephistopheles disguise himself as in Act III?
(a) A phorkyad.
Short Answer Questions
1. What remains of Euphorion after his fall?
2. Who is Helen married to in Scene 1 of Act III?
3. Where have Faust and Helen been staying in Scene 3 of Act III?
4. What does the chorus cry as Euphorion falls?
5. What is the chorus doing at the beginning of Scene 3 in Act III?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act III, what are some of Helen's doubts an fears about Menelaus's intentions?
2. What action does the emperor take towards his aides and marshals in Scene 3 of Act IV?
3. Initially after the battle how does the emperor feel in Act IV?
4. Describe the setting of Scene 3 of Act IV.
5. How are the heralds sent by the emperor to the rival emperor received in Scene 2 of Act IV?
6. What is the attitude of the chorus towards Faust in Scene 2 of Act III?
7. What does the chorus transform into at the end of Act III?
8. What plan is the current general describing to the emperor at the beginning of Scene 2 in Act IV?
9. Why does Helen leave Faust at the end of Act III?
10. What does Faust bid his son to beware of in Act II?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)