|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the leader of the chorus?
2. What modern luxurious city does Mephistopheles describe to Faust in Scene 1 of Act IV?
(a) New York.
3. What power does Mephistopheles first offer Faust in Scene 1 of Act IV?
(a) Power over the ocean.
(b) All the riches of the land.
(c) Power over all nations.
(d) A harem of women.
4. What help does Faust claim that the necromant is willing to offer the emperor?
(a) Advanced weaponry technology.
(d) Additional troops.
5. How does Faust account for the formation of mountains and valleys in Act IV?
(a) He does not know how they came to be.
(b) He thinks they were created in one grand event.
(c) He thinks the mountains were created instantly, but the valleys shaped slowly over millenia.
(d) He thinks they were created gradually over time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maia steal from Hephaestus?
2. What does the emperor give to the Arch-Marshal in Scene 3 of Act IV?
3. What does Mephistopheles tell Helen that frightens her in Scene 1 of Act III?
4. Why does Helen promptly return to the chorus after she leaves in Scene 1 of Act III?
5. What does Maia steal from Ares?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Faust discuss with his commanders when he learns that Menelaus is coming to regain Helen in Act III?
2. What does Faust claim as his true desire to Mephistopheles in Scene 1 of Act IV?
3. How does the archbishop convince the emperor to give power to the church at the end of Act IV?
4. What does Faust bid his son to beware of in Act II?
5. What does Faust mean when he uses the term "modern" in regards to the palace offered by Mephistopheles in Act IV?
6. How does Mephistopheles treat Helen's servants in Scene 1 of Act III?
7. What prompts Euphorion to climb to great heights and fly?
8. Describe the setting of Scene 3 of Act IV.
9. How are the heralds sent by the emperor to the rival emperor received in Scene 2 of Act IV?
10. Why does Helen leave Faust at the end of Act III?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)