|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What country is the setting of Scene 1 in Act III?
(a) The country is not given.
2. What is the Maia the patron god of?
(a) Princes and Kings.
(b) Thieves and rascals.
(c) Fishermen and sailors.
3. Who is not one of the aides to Faust in Act IV?
4. When Mephistopheles asks Faust what he desires in Scene 1 of Act IV, how does Faust respond?
(a) Faust refuses to respond to Mephistopheles's question.
(b) Faust claims he does not desire anything.
(c) Faust tells Mephistopheles he desires earthly powers.
(d) Faust tells Mephistopheles to guess his desires.
5. What does the chorus ask Mephistopheles at the beginning of Scene 3 in Act III?
(a) They ask where they are.
(b) They ask what they should give Faust as a token of appreciation.
(c) They ask what has happened in their splendor.
(d) They ask his identity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the ruler of the hiding place that Mephistopheles suggests to Helen?
2. What does Mephistopheles tell Helen that frightens her in Scene 1 of Act III?
3. What realization does the archbishop make about the emperor's tactics in battle?
4. Which God, does Mephistopheles tell the creation myth of to the chorus in Act III?
5. What remains of Euphorion after his fall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Faust's castle so alien to Helen?
2. In Act III, what are some of Helen's doubts an fears about Menelaus's intentions?
3. What does Faust claim as his true desire to Mephistopheles in Scene 1 of Act IV?
4. What does Faust mean when he uses the term "modern" in regards to the palace offered by Mephistopheles in Act IV?
5. What does the chorus transform into at the end of Act III?
6. What is the attitude of the chorus towards Faust in Scene 2 of Act III?
7. How are the heralds sent by the emperor to the rival emperor received in Scene 2 of Act IV?
8. How does the chorus feel in regards to Arcadia in Act III?
9. Initially after the battle how does the emperor feel in Act IV?
10. Describe the landscape of Arcadia as in Act III?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)