|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event does Mephistopheles claim caused the creation of the mountains and valleys in Act IV?
(a) The exile of the devil.
(b) He does not know how they were created.
(c) The birth of a new God.
(d) A meteor shower.
2. Where does Helen go after the chorus tries to assuage her fears in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) She goes into Athena's temple.
(b) Into the palace.
(c) Into a grove of trees.
(d) She flees to Arcadia.
3. What event are the advisers of the emperor excited to plan in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) A masked ball.
(b) A trial for the prisoners of war.
(c) A triumphant parade.
(d) A victory banquet.
4. What does the landscape remind Mephistopheles of in Scene 1 of Act IV?
(a) Classical Greece.
(d) His home, hell.
5. What help does Faust claim that the necromant is willing to offer the emperor?
(c) Advanced weaponry technology.
(d) Additional troops.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Faust account for the formation of mountains and valleys in Act IV?
2. What does Maia steal from Ares?
3. What modern luxurious city does Mephistopheles describe to Faust in Scene 1 of Act IV?
4. What does the chorus ask Mephistopheles at the beginning of Scene 3 in Act III?
5. Who is not one of the aides to Faust in Act IV?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prompts Euphorion to climb to great heights and fly?
2. What does Faust claim as his true desire to Mephistopheles in Scene 1 of Act IV?
3. Why is Faust's castle so alien to Helen?
4. Initially after the battle how does the emperor feel in Act IV?
5. How was Faust transported in the beginning of Act IV?
6. How does the chorus describe Mephistopheles' appearance in Scene 1 of Act III?
7. What nostalgic tale does Mephistopheles recount in Act IV?
8. How does the archbishop convince the emperor to give power to the church at the end of Act IV?
9. How are the heralds sent by the emperor to the rival emperor received in Scene 2 of Act IV?
10. In Act III, what are some of Helen's doubts an fears about Menelaus's intentions?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)