|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What modern luxurious city does Mephistopheles describe to Faust in Scene 1 of Act IV?
(b) New York.
2. Who does the archbishop accuse the emperor of being in league with in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(c) The rival emperor.
(d) He makes no accusation towards the emperor.
3. What is Faust wearing when he first meets with the emperor in Act IV?
(a) He is dressed as poor villager.
(b) Armor complete with a half-visor.
(c) He is in the classical dress of Greece.
(d) Long luxurient robes.
4. What does the emperor give to the Arch-Marshal in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) A bride.
(b) A new horse.
(c) A new castle.
(d) A sword.
5. When Faust decides to help the emperor, what does Mephistopheles turn him into?
(a) A general-in-chief with three aides.
(b) A savvy politician who can soothe the people.
(c) A calveryman.
(d) A skilled soldier.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles conjure in the battle to help the emperor in Act IV?
2. Who tells Faust and Helen that Menelaus has arrived with his armies?
3. Why does Faust declare Lynceus's life forfeit?
4. What event are the advisers of the emperor excited to plan in Scene 3 of Act IV?
5. Where does Faust and Helen flee to at the end of Scene 2 in Act III?
Short Essay Questions
1. Initially after the battle how does the emperor feel in Act IV?
2. For what reasons has the emperor's kingdom begun to collapse in Act IV?
3. Why is Faust's castle so alien to Helen?
4. How does the chorus describe Mephistopheles' appearance in Scene 1 of Act III?
5. How was Faust transported in the beginning of Act IV?
6. Describe the setting of Scene 3 of Act IV.
7. What does Faust claim as his true desire to Mephistopheles in Scene 1 of Act IV?
8. What does Faust discuss with his commanders when he learns that Menelaus is coming to regain Helen in Act III?
9. What does Faust mean when he uses the term "modern" in regards to the palace offered by Mephistopheles in Act IV?
10. Why does Helen leave Faust at the end of Act III?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)