|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What prohibits Speed-booty and Havequick from packing away a pile of gold on their backs?
(a) A hole in the apron they pack the gold in.
(b) They become weak from the fighting and have to rest.
(c) The weight of the gold is too much to lift.
(d) They trip over some ropes and become entangled in the tent.
2. What does Faust embrace as he is lifted into the sky at the end of Act III?
(a) The leader of the chorus.
(c) Helen's garments.
(d) His money.
3. What is the setting of Scene 3 in Act IV?
(a) The battlefield.
(b) The castle.
(c) The emperor's tent.
(d) The mountainside.
4. What item does Havequick first want to plunder from the emperor in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) The emperor's crown.
(b) A large shield.
(c) A bag of coins.
(d) A steel-club.
5. Which God, does Mephistopheles tell the creation myth of to the chorus in Act III?
Short Answer Questions
1. As the chorus insults Mephistopheles in Act III, what is their intention?
2. Who tells Faust and Helen that Menelaus has arrived with his armies?
3. When Mephistopheles asks Faust what he desires in Scene 1 of Act IV, how does Faust respond?
4. What is the Maia the patron god of?
5. Who is attempting to take the kingdom of the emperor in Act IV?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the chorus describe Mephistopheles' appearance in Scene 1 of Act III?
2. What does Faust discuss with his commanders when he learns that Menelaus is coming to regain Helen in Act III?
3. How are the heralds sent by the emperor to the rival emperor received in Scene 2 of Act IV?
4. What action does the emperor take towards his aides and marshals in Scene 3 of Act IV?
5. What are the fears of the emperor at the conclusion of Act IV?
6. Describe the setting of Scene 3 of Act IV.
7. What nostalgic tale does Mephistopheles recount in Act IV?
8. For what reasons has the emperor's kingdom begun to collapse in Act IV?
9. Describe the landscape of Arcadia as in Act III?
10. Why is Faust's castle so alien to Helen?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)