|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What realization does the archbishop make about the emperor's tactics in battle?
(a) He knows nothing about the emperor's tactics.
(b) That the emperor used spies in the battle.
(c) That the emperor has used magic to win the battle.
(d) That the emperor bribed opposing troops.
2. Where have Faust and Helen been staying in Scene 3 of Act III?
(a) In an elaborate palace.
(b) Some caves.
(c) On a ship belonging to Paris.
(d) In a cottage by the sea.
3. What help does Faust claim that the necromant is willing to offer the emperor?
(a) Additional troops.
(c) Advanced weaponry technology.
4. What does Helen ask Faust to teach her in Scene 2 of Act III?
(a) To speak in rhyme.
(b) To play a lute.
(c) To dance.
(d) To sing.
5. What is the name of Faust's lookout?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the emperor give to the Arch-Marshal in Scene 3 of Act IV?
2. Where does Helen go after the chorus tries to assuage her fears in Scene 1 of Act III?
3. Who is Helen married to in Scene 1 of Act III?
4. What does Mephistopheles conjure in the battle to help the emperor in Act IV?
5. Where does Mephistopheles suggest that Helen should hide at the end of Scene 1 of Act III?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the fears of the emperor at the conclusion of Act IV?
2. How does the chorus feel in regards to Arcadia in Act III?
3. Why does Helen leave Faust at the end of Act III?
4. How does the archbishop convince the emperor to give power to the church at the end of Act IV?
5. How are the heralds sent by the emperor to the rival emperor received in Scene 2 of Act IV?
6. What does Faust bid his son to beware of in Act II?
7. How does Mephistopheles treat Helen's servants in Scene 1 of Act III?
8. What plan is the current general describing to the emperor at the beginning of Scene 2 in Act IV?
9. What is the attitude of the chorus towards Faust in Scene 2 of Act III?
10. What does Faust claim as his true desire to Mephistopheles in Scene 1 of Act IV?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)