|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event does Mephistopheles claim caused the creation of the mountains and valleys in Act IV?
(a) He does not know how they were created.
(b) The birth of a new God.
(c) The exile of the devil.
(d) A meteor shower.
2. What power does Mephistopheles first offer Faust in Scene 1 of Act IV?
(a) Power over the ocean.
(b) A harem of women.
(c) All the riches of the land.
(d) Power over all nations.
3. What is the name of the leader of the chorus?
4. Who is not one of the aides to Faust in Act IV?
5. What country is the setting of Scene 1 in Act III?
(d) The country is not given.
Short Answer Questions
1. What drink does the arch-cupbearer plan to give the emperor at the celebrations?
2. What does the chorus ask Mephistopheles at the beginning of Scene 3 in Act III?
3. What does Mephistopheles tell Helen that frightens her in Scene 1 of Act III?
4. What does Mephistopheles conjure in the battle to help the emperor in Act IV?
5. What authority does the archbishop demand from the emperor in Scene 3 of Act IV?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what reasons has the emperor's kingdom begun to collapse in Act IV?
2. How does the chorus feel in regards to Arcadia in Act III?
3. How does Mephistopheles treat Helen's servants in Scene 1 of Act III?
4. How does the archbishop convince the emperor to give power to the church at the end of Act IV?
5. How was Faust transported in the beginning of Act IV?
6. What action does the emperor take towards his aides and marshals in Scene 3 of Act IV?
7. What does Faust mean when he uses the term "modern" in regards to the palace offered by Mephistopheles in Act IV?
8. What does Faust claim as his true desire to Mephistopheles in Scene 1 of Act IV?
9. How are the heralds sent by the emperor to the rival emperor received in Scene 2 of Act IV?
10. In Act III, what are some of Helen's doubts an fears about Menelaus's intentions?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)