|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the ruler of the hiding place that Mephistopheles suggests to Helen?
2. What does Mephistopheles conjure in the battle to help the emperor in Act IV?
(a) A hurricane.
(b) Sea Monsters and St. Elmo's fire.
(c) A group of fighting centaurs.
3. At the end of Act IV, what is the outlook of the emperor in regards to his kingdom?
(a) He fears it will be ruined by extortion of the church.
(b) He thinks things wil go back to how they were before the war.
(c) He fears it will be conquered by another rival.
(d) He is hopeful it will prosper.
4. What does Maia steal from Hephaestus?
5. Who does the archbishop accuse the emperor of being in league with in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(b) The rival emperor.
(c) He makes no accusation towards the emperor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who pardons Lynceus?
2. Where does Faust land at the beginning of Act IV?
3. Who first discovers Speed-booty and Havequick trying to plunder the emperor's things?
4. What is Helen afraid of in Scene 1 of Act III?
5. Why is the necromant of Sabine Norcia indebted to the emperor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the chorus transform into at the end of Act III?
2. Initially after the battle how does the emperor feel in Act IV?
3. What does Faust bid his son to beware of in Act II?
4. What does Faust claim as his true desire to Mephistopheles in Scene 1 of Act IV?
5. What action does the emperor take towards his aides and marshals in Scene 3 of Act IV?
6. How does Mephistopheles treat Helen's servants in Scene 1 of Act III?
7. Why does Helen leave Faust at the end of Act III?
8. For what reasons has the emperor's kingdom begun to collapse in Act IV?
9. What plan is the current general describing to the emperor at the beginning of Scene 2 in Act IV?
10. What does Faust mean when he uses the term "modern" in regards to the palace offered by Mephistopheles in Act IV?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)