|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event do Faust and Mephistopheles see taking place at the end of Scene 1 of Act IV?
(a) The witness a shooting star.
(b) They witness a battle taking place in the emporer's kingdom.
(c) They wintess a procession of women to a ritual sacrifice.
(d) The witness the rape of Leda.
2. At the end of Act IV, what is the outlook of the emperor in regards to his kingdom?
(a) He is hopeful it will prosper.
(b) He fears it will be conquered by another rival.
(c) He thinks things wil go back to how they were before the war.
(d) He fears it will be ruined by extortion of the church.
3. What item does Speed-Booty first want to plunder from the emperor in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) A carpet.
(b) A ring.
(c) A large platter.
(d) A set of arrows.
4. What event are the advisers of the emperor excited to plan in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) A victory banquet.
(b) A trial for the prisoners of war.
(c) A masked ball.
(d) A triumphant parade.
5. When Faust decides to help the emperor, what does Mephistopheles turn him into?
(a) A skilled soldier.
(b) A calveryman.
(c) A general-in-chief with three aides.
(d) A savvy politician who can soothe the people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What power does Mephistopheles first offer Faust in Scene 1 of Act IV?
2. Where have Faust and Helen been staying in Scene 3 of Act III?
3. What does Mephistopheles conjure in the battle to help the emperor in Act IV?
4. What does the chorus cry as Euphorion falls?
5. What is the setting of Scene 3 in Act IV?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prompts Euphorion to climb to great heights and fly?
2. How are the heralds sent by the emperor to the rival emperor received in Scene 2 of Act IV?
3. What does Faust mean when he uses the term "modern" in regards to the palace offered by Mephistopheles in Act IV?
4. What does the chorus transform into at the end of Act III?
5. Describe the setting of Scene 3 of Act IV.
6. What are the fears of the emperor at the conclusion of Act IV?
7. How does the chorus describe Mephistopheles' appearance in Scene 1 of Act III?
8. What does Faust discuss with his commanders when he learns that Menelaus is coming to regain Helen in Act III?
9. Why is Faust's castle so alien to Helen?
10. How does the chorus feel in regards to Arcadia in Act III?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)