|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the emperor sign at the end of Act IV?
(a) A proclamation declaring the festivities.
(b) A contract with the archbishop.
(c) A deed of the land to Faust.
(d) A treaty with the rival emperor.
2. How does the emperor respond when he sees Faust in Scene 2 of Act IV?
(a) He is sad.
(b) He is overjoyed and happy.
(c) He is fearful that Faust has come to seize the kingdom.
(d) He does not recognize him.
3. Who is Helen married to in Scene 1 of Act III?
4. What does the archbishop want the emperor to build on the land near the battlefield?
(a) A grand church.
(b) A new palace.
(c) An edifice to the fallen soldiers.
(d) A triumphal arch.
5. What item does Havequick first want to plunder from the emperor in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) A steel-club.
(b) A bag of coins.
(c) The emperor's crown.
(d) A large shield.
Short Answer Questions
1. What help does Faust claim that the necromant is willing to offer the emperor?
2. What is the name of the leader of the chorus?
3. What does Maia steal from Zeus?
4. Why does Faust declare Lynceus's life forfeit?
5. At the end of Act IV, what is the outlook of the emperor in regards to his kingdom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Helen leave Faust at the end of Act III?
2. What action does the emperor take towards his aides and marshals in Scene 3 of Act IV?
3. How are the heralds sent by the emperor to the rival emperor received in Scene 2 of Act IV?
4. How does the chorus feel in regards to Arcadia in Act III?
5. What plan is the current general describing to the emperor at the beginning of Scene 2 in Act IV?
6. What does Faust claim as his true desire to Mephistopheles in Scene 1 of Act IV?
7. What is the attitude of the chorus towards Faust in Scene 2 of Act III?
8. What does Faust mean when he uses the term "modern" in regards to the palace offered by Mephistopheles in Act IV?
9. What are the fears of the emperor at the conclusion of Act IV?
10. Why is Faust's castle so alien to Helen?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)