|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is specifically told to remain behind in his study rather than travel with the homunculus to Walpurgis Night?
2. What instrument accompanies the gardeners in Scene 3 of Act I?
3. What token does Mephistopheles give Lady to help her regain the affection of her lover in Scene 6 of Act I?
(a) A coal.
(b) A flower.
(c) A stone.
(d) A feather.
4. What is the opinion of the women of the court of Helen?
(a) They try to emulate her.
(b) They are jealous of her.
(c) They are indifferent to her.
(d) They adore her.
5. What does Mephistopheles give Faust to help him on his journey to conjure Helen and Paris?
(a) A dark cloak.
(b) A magical key.
(c) A map of the underworld.
(d) A password.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has the emperor requested Faust to conjure Helen and Paris?
2. What is the setting in the beginning of Act II?
3. Which is not a name of the graces mentioned in Scene 3 of Act I?
4. What does Phoebe's wheels symbolize in Act I, Scene 1?
5. Who was an earlier student of Faust that now works as his assistant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolic about Faust's unconsciousness in the beginning of Act II?
2. How does Mephistopheles become the new fool to the emperor?
3. What are the Mothers that Faust visits in Scene 5?
4. Describe Famulus's attitude towards learning and academic achievement.
5. Describe the appearance of the emperor during his entrance to the Carnival Masquerade.
6. What is the subject of the prologue of Scene 3 by the Thessalonian witch, Erichto?
7. Why does Mephistopheles have a hard time fitting in on ancient classical soil?
8. What is the primary focus and pursuit of the emperor?
9. Describe Baccalaureus's attitude towards learning and academic achievement.
10. What is a homunculus and how is it made?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)