|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has the emperor requested Faust to conjure Helen and Paris?
(a) He seeks amusement and wants to see their beauty.
(b) Mephistopheles suggested it to him.
(c) He hopes to woo Helen.
(d) He hopes to have Paris lead his army.
2. What shape does Proteus take to transport the homunculus into the ocean on his back?
(a) A sea horse.
(b) A bird.
(c) A whale.
(d) A dolphin.
3. Who sings a song of rejuvenation to Faust?
(a) Fairies of the field.
(c) The flowers.
4. What news does the marshal bring the emperor in the beginning of Scene 4 of Act I?
(a) He tells the emperor that the people are rioting.
(b) He tells the emperor that all of his debts have been paid in full.
(c) He tells the emperor a civil war has broken out.
(d) He tells the emperor that the people have built a statue for him.
5. Which group of people does Baccalaureus feel should be shot?
(a) All professors.
(b) Single females.
(c) Inexperienced youth.
(d) Men over thirty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What form does the homunculus decide to take at the end of Act II?
2. According to Faust's dream, who is the father of Helen?
3. Who has replaced Faust in his position at the University in Act II?
4. What ailment of the Brunette does Mephistopheles cure in Scene 6 of Act I?
5. Who becomes the fool for the emperor in Scene 2 of Act I?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mephistopheles upset that Faust tells the emperor he can conjure the spirits of Helen and Paris?
2. Describe Famulus's attitude towards learning and academic achievement.
3. In the philosophical debate featured in Scene 3 of Act II, what does Thales believe is the origin and basis of nature and matter?
4. Why is Faust seeking Helen in Act II?
5. What dichotomy is alluded to between the court of the emperor and the people of the kingdom in Scene 2?
6. When Mephistopheles pays off the debts of the emperor with notes what is the response of the court?
7. What are the Mothers that Faust visits in Scene 5?
8. What does the Boy-charioteer typify?
9. What advice does Mephistopheles give to the young page who is having trouble attracting women in Act I?
10. What does the Chancellor say about the judge "who cannot punish crime" in Scene 2?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)