|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mephistopheles, what must one possess to receive miracles?
(b) Divine blessing.
(c) Good Luck.
2. What shape does Proteus take to transport the homunculus into the ocean on his back?
(a) A whale.
(b) A sea horse.
(c) A dolphin.
(d) A bird.
3. Where does Mephistopheles place Faust at the beginning of Act II?
(a) In his scholarly robes on his bed.
(b) Under the desk.
(c) Behind a curtain.
(d) Outside under a tree.
4. What is the opinion of the women of the court of Helen?
(a) They are jealous of her.
(b) They are indifferent to her.
(c) They try to emulate her.
(d) They adore her.
5. What is the setting in the beginning of Act II?
(a) A pleasing countryside.
(b) The imperial court.
(c) Ancient Greece.
(d) Faust's study.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting of Scene 7 in Act I?
2. Who is the first mind that is read by the homunculus?
3. When Faust awakens in Act I, what are his impressions of his surroundings?
4. Which famous figure did Chiron tutor?
5. What form does the homunculus decide to take at the end of Act II?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dichotomy is alluded to between the court of the emperor and the people of the kingdom in Scene 2?
2. Describe the appearance of the emperor during his entrance to the Carnival Masquerade.
3. In the philosophical debate featured in Scene 3 of Act II, what does Anaxagoras believe is the origin and basis of nature and matter?
4. Describe Famulus's attitude towards learning and academic achievement.
5. What is symbolic about Faust's unconsciousness in the beginning of Act II?
6. How does Mephistopheles become the new fool to the emperor?
7. What is the primary focus and pursuit of the emperor?
8. Describe Baccalaureus's attitude towards learning and academic achievement.
9. Why is Mephistopheles upset that Faust tells the emperor he can conjure the spirits of Helen and Paris?
10. Why does Mephistopheles have a hard time fitting in on ancient classical soil?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)