Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What shape does Proteus take to transport the homunculus into the ocean on his back?
(a) A dolphin.
(b) A sea horse.
(c) A whale.
(d) A bird.
2. Who gives the prologue to Scene 3 in Act II?
(a) The homonculus.
3. What does Faust distribute to the crowd in Scene 3 of Act I?
(a) Magical money that transforms when it is touched.
(b) Beautiful jewelry that is bewitched to change colors.
(c) Food and wine.
(d) Anvils and hammers to do work.
4. Who must Faust go to, in order to conjure Helen and Paris?
(a) The Graces.
(b) The Fates.
(c) The Mothers.
5. According to Faust's dream, who is the father of Helen?
Short Answer Questions
1. What token does Mephistopheles give Lady to help her regain the affection of her lover in Scene 6 of Act I?
2. Who was an earlier student of Faust that now works as his assistant?
3. What is the state of Faust at the end of Act I?
4. Where does Faust meet Mephistopheles in Scene 5 of Act I?
5. According to Faust's dream, who is the mother of Helen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a homunculus and how is it made?
2. Why does Mephistopheles have a hard time fitting in on ancient classical soil?
3. What is the attitude of the chorus towards Faust in Scene 2 of Act III?
4. What plan is the current general describing to the emperor at the beginning of Scene 2 in Act IV?
5. Explain the circumstances at the end of Scene 7 of Act I, that lead to Faust being found unconscious on the floor.
6. What observation does Mephistopheles make about a Faust's legacy after his death in Scene 5 of Act V?
7. What does Faust ask of Mephistopheles in Scene 2 of Act V?
8. How does the chorus describe Mephistopheles' appearance in Scene 1 of Act III?
9. What action does the emperor take towards his aides and marshals in Scene 3 of Act IV?
10. How does Mephistopheles describe Faust's empire in Scene 2 of Act V?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)