|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Mephistopheles place Faust at the beginning of Act II?
(a) Behind a curtain.
(b) Under the desk.
(c) In his scholarly robes on his bed.
(d) Outside under a tree.
2. What type of creature is Chiron?
(a) A faun.
(b) A nymph.
(c) A demi-god.
(d) A centaur.
3. Who has replaced Faust in his position at the University in Act II?
(c) The position has not been filled.
4. What instrument accompanies the garden girls in Scene 3 of Act I?
5. When Faust awakens in Act I, what are his impressions of his surroundings?
(a) He finds everything dark and dreary.
(b) He finds the area just the way he remembers it, unchanging.
(c) He barely notices his surroundings.
(d) He finds the landscape to be paradise.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ailment of the Brunette does Mephistopheles cure in Scene 6 of Act I?
2. What are the female vampires called who Mephistopheles meets in Act II?
3. Why has the emperor requested Faust to conjure Helen and Paris?
4. Who tells the emperor they are out of wine in Scene 2 of Act I?
5. What is the name of the daughter of Nereus, who is expected to return to the sea in Act II?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the philosophical debate featured in Scene 3 of Act II, what does Anaxagoras believe is the origin and basis of nature and matter?
2. When Mephistopheles pays off the debts of the emperor with notes what is the response of the court?
3. How does Mephistopheles become the new fool to the emperor?
4. What is the subject of the prologue of Scene 3 by the Thessalonian witch, Erichto?
5. What is the primary focus and pursuit of the emperor?
6. What advice does Mephistopheles give to the young page who is having trouble attracting women in Act I?
7. What does the Boy-charioteer typify?
8. Why is Faust seeking Helen in Act II?
9. What are the Mothers that Faust visits in Scene 5?
10. What does the homunculus say that Faust is dreaming of in Scene 2 of Act II?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)