|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two "orders" support the throne, according to the Chancellor in Scene 2 of Act I?
(a) The advisors and the soldiers.
(b) The soldiers and the clergy.
(c) The common people and the clergy.
(d) The clergy and the knights.
2. What science is Wagner practicing in the laboratory when Mephistopheles comes upon him in Scene 2 of Act II?
(b) Molecular Biology.
3. What is the name of the daughter of Nereus, who is expected to return to the sea in Act II?
4. What is the setting of Scene 3 in Act II?
(a) The main square of Athens.
(b) The temple of Athena.
(c) The setting is not given.
(d) The plains of Pharsalus.
5. What is the job of Nereus?
(a) He is the guardian of the sea.
(b) He is the protector of ships.
(c) His job is not given in the novel.
(d) He is the servant of Neptune.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells the emperor they are out of wine in Scene 2 of Act I?
2. Who gives the prologue to Scene 3 in Act II?
3. Who has replaced Faust in his position at the University in Act II?
4. Who responds to Mephistopheles ringing the bell in Act II?
5. According to the astrologer in Scene 2, what is the fairest star?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the homunculus say that Faust is dreaming of in Scene 2 of Act II?
2. In the philosophical debate featured in Scene 3 of Act II, what does Thales believe is the origin and basis of nature and matter?
3. Why is Faust seeking Helen in Act II?
4. What is symbolic about Faust's unconsciousness in the beginning of Act II?
5. What does the Chancellor say about the judge "who cannot punish crime" in Scene 2?
6. What are the Mothers that Faust visits in Scene 5?
7. Why does the homunculus take on the form of water at the end of Act II?
8. Explain the circumstances at the end of Scene 7 of Act I, that lead to Faust being found unconscious on the floor.
9. What does the Boy-charioteer typify?
10. In the philosophical debate featured in Scene 3 of Act II, what does Anaxagoras believe is the origin and basis of nature and matter?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)