|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Faust's dream, who is the father of Helen?
2. Which figure guides the living Colossus in Scene 3 of Act I?
3. What token does Mephistopheles give Lady to help her regain the affection of her lover in Scene 6 of Act I?
(a) A stone.
(b) A feather.
(c) A coal.
(d) A flower.
4. Why does Faust try to dispel Paris in Scene 7 of Act I?
(a) He is bored with Paris.
(b) Mephistopheles instructs him to.
(c) He wants Helen for himself.
(d) He's trying to protect Paris from the men at court.
5. Who responds to Mephistopheles ringing the bell in Act II?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles give Faust to help him on his journey to conjure Helen and Paris?
2. What does Faust distribute to the crowd in Scene 3 of Act I?
3. According to Mephistopheles, what must one possess to receive miracles?
4. What type of creature is Chiron?
5. What reason does the homunculus tell Mephistopheles, to encourage him to take Faust to the classical Walpurgis Night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the chorus feel in regards to Arcadia in Act III?
2. What things do Baucis and Philemon describe Faust as building in his new land in Act V?
3. What dichotomy is alluded to between the court of the emperor and the people of the kingdom in Scene 2?
4. In the philosophical debate featured in Scene 3 of Act II, what does Thales believe is the origin and basis of nature and matter?
5. Why is Mephistopheles unable to see into Faust's dreams?
6. What does the chorus transform into at the end of Act III?
7. What does Faust ask of Mephistopheles in Scene 2 of Act V?
8. What does the homunculus say that Faust is dreaming of in Scene 2 of Act II?
9. What nostalgic tale does Mephistopheles recount in Act IV?
10. Describe the landscape of Arcadia as in Act III?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)