|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who becomes the fool for the emperor in Scene 2 of Act I?
(b) The chancellor.
2. According to the astrologer in Scene 2, what is the fairest star?
3. Who tells the emperor they are out of wine in Scene 2 of Act I?
(a) The Field Marshal.
(b) The Steward.
(d) The Chancellor.
4. What form does the homunculus decide to take at the end of Act II?
(b) He decides to not take a form, but remain shapeless.
5. Who responds to Mephistopheles ringing the bell in Act II?
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument accompanies the gardeners in Scene 3 of Act I?
2. In what setting does Faust seek sleep in Act I?
3. What ailment of the Brunette does Mephistopheles cure in Scene 6 of Act I?
4. Which is not a name of the graces mentioned in Scene 3 of Act I?
5. What is the setting of Scene 3 in Act II?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the Mothers that Faust visits in Scene 5?
2. What does the homunculus say that Faust is dreaming of in Scene 2 of Act II?
3. What is symbolic about Faust's unconsciousness in the beginning of Act II?
4. In the philosophical debate featured in Scene 3 of Act II, what does Anaxagoras believe is the origin and basis of nature and matter?
5. Why is Mephistopheles upset that Faust tells the emperor he can conjure the spirits of Helen and Paris?
6. Describe the pleasing landscape that Faust finds himself in at the beginning of this work (Act I).
7. What does the Chancellor say about the judge "who cannot punish crime" in Scene 2?
8. Explain the circumstances at the end of Scene 7 of Act I, that lead to Faust being found unconscious on the floor.
9. Why is Mephistopheles unable to see into Faust's dreams?
10. Why is Faust seeking Helen in Act II?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)