|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which famous figure did Chiron tutor?
2. Who has replaced Faust in his position at the University in Act II?
(c) The position has not been filled.
3. Which figure guides the living Colossus in Scene 3 of Act I?
4. Where does Mephistopheles place Faust at the beginning of Act II?
(a) Outside under a tree.
(b) Behind a curtain.
(c) In his scholarly robes on his bed.
(d) Under the desk.
5. What is the name of the shape-shifting god of forms, who homunculus is advised to seek out in the end of Scene 3 in Act II?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Faust distribute to the crowd in Scene 3 of Act I?
2. Who responds to Mephistopheles ringing the bell in Act II?
3. What is the opinion of the men of court of Helen?
4. What is the setting of Scene 4 in Act I?
5. What is the setting of Scene 7 in Act I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a homunculus and how is it made?
2. When Mephistopheles pays off the debts of the emperor with notes what is the response of the court?
3. Describe the appearance of the emperor during his entrance to the Carnival Masquerade.
4. Explain the circumstances at the end of Scene 7 of Act I, that lead to Faust being found unconscious on the floor.
5. What is symbolic about Faust's unconsciousness in the beginning of Act II?
6. Describe the pleasing landscape that Faust finds himself in at the beginning of this work (Act I).
7. Why does the homunculus take on the form of water at the end of Act II?
8. Why is Mephistopheles unable to see into Faust's dreams?
9. How does Mephistopheles become the new fool to the emperor?
10. What dichotomy is alluded to between the court of the emperor and the people of the kingdom in Scene 2?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)