|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the opinion of the women of the court of Helen?
(a) They are indifferent to her.
(b) They adore her.
(c) They try to emulate her.
(d) They are jealous of her.
2. What does Mephistopheles give Faust to help him on his journey to conjure Helen and Paris?
(a) A dark cloak.
(b) A map of the underworld.
(c) A password.
(d) A magical key.
3. Why is Wagner successful in creating the homunculus in Scene II of Act II?
(a) He has several students assisting him.
(b) He is aided by Mephistopheles.
(c) He uses a new procedure.
(d) He is not successful in creating the homunculus.
4. What does Faust distribute to the crowd in Scene 3 of Act I?
(a) Beautiful jewelry that is bewitched to change colors.
(b) Magical money that transforms when it is touched.
(c) Anvils and hammers to do work.
(d) Food and wine.
5. What instrument accompanies the gardeners in Scene 3 of Act I?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting of Scene 7 in Act I?
2. What two "orders" support the throne, according to the Chancellor in Scene 2 of Act I?
3. What is the eldest of the fates?
4. Which famous figure did Chiron tutor?
5. Which despicable and noxious creatures does Mephistopheles eventually find as the true embodiment of ugliness in Act II?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the subject of the prologue of Scene 3 by the Thessalonian witch, Erichto?
2. Why does Mephistopheles have a hard time fitting in on ancient classical soil?
3. What dichotomy is alluded to between the court of the emperor and the people of the kingdom in Scene 2?
4. Describe the pleasing landscape that Faust finds himself in at the beginning of this work (Act I).
5. What does the Chancellor say about the judge "who cannot punish crime" in Scene 2?
6. What is the primary focus and pursuit of the emperor?
7. Describe Baccalaureus's attitude towards learning and academic achievement.
8. Describe Famulus's attitude towards learning and academic achievement.
9. Explain the circumstances at the end of Scene 7 of Act I, that lead to Faust being found unconscious on the floor.
10. When Mephistopheles pays off the debts of the emperor with notes what is the response of the court?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)