|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the shape-shifting god of forms, who homunculus is advised to seek out in the end of Scene 3 in Act II?
2. According to the astrologer in Scene 2, what is the fairest star?
3. What holiday is the court preparing to celebrate in Act I?
(a) Day of the Kings.
(b) May Day.
(c) Winter Solstice.
4. Which despicable and noxious creatures does Mephistopheles eventually find as the true embodiment of ugliness in Act II?
5. Which figure guides the living Colossus in Scene 3 of Act I?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the homunculus appear in the beginning of Scene 3 of Act II?
2. What does Faust distribute to the crowd in Scene 3 of Act I?
3. What is the opinion of the women of the court of Helen?
4. What are the names of the two philosophers that the homunculus comes upon in Scene 3 of Act II?
5. Who sings a song of rejuvenation to Faust?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the homunculus say that Faust is dreaming of in Scene 2 of Act II?
2. Why is Mephistopheles upset that Faust tells the emperor he can conjure the spirits of Helen and Paris?
3. What does the Boy-charioteer typify?
4. Why does the homunculus take on the form of water at the end of Act II?
5. What are the Mothers that Faust visits in Scene 5?
6. Describe Baccalaureus's attitude towards learning and academic achievement.
7. Describe the pleasing landscape that Faust finds himself in at the beginning of this work (Act I).
8. Describe the appearance of the emperor during his entrance to the Carnival Masquerade.
9. How does Mephistopheles become the new fool to the emperor?
10. What is symbolic about Faust's unconsciousness in the beginning of Act II?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)