|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when the emperor attempts to examine the treasure chest Faust has brought him in Scene 3 of Act I?
(a) He falls asleep.
(b) His beard catches fire.
(c) He goes momentarily blind.
(d) He is attacked by a group of beggars.
2. What does Mephistopheles give Faust to help him on his journey to conjure Helen and Paris?
(a) A map of the underworld.
(b) A dark cloak.
(c) A magical key.
(d) A password.
3. How does the group travel with the homunculus to Walpurgis Night in Scene 2 of Act II?
(a) They travel through time and space to classical Greece.
(b) They all take sleeping draughts and travel in their dreams together.
(c) They physcially walk to Walpurgis Night.
(d) They appeal to the Mothers to make their journey.
4. What is the setting in the beginning of Act II?
(a) Faust's study.
(b) The imperial court.
(c) Ancient Greece.
(d) A pleasing countryside.
5. Who sings a song of rejuvenation to Faust?
(a) The flowers.
(b) Fairies of the field.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ailment of the Brunette does Mephistopheles cure in Scene 6 of Act I?
2. According to the astrologer in Scene 2, what is the fairest star?
3. What is the job of Nereus?
4. Who does the Emperor ask to see in the beginning of Scene 2 of Act I?
5. What is the opinion of the women of the court of Helen?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Mephistopheles pays off the debts of the emperor with notes what is the response of the court?
2. What is a homunculus and how is it made?
3. In the philosophical debate featured in Scene 3 of Act II, what does Thales believe is the origin and basis of nature and matter?
4. What does the homunculus say that Faust is dreaming of in Scene 2 of Act II?
5. Describe Famulus's attitude towards learning and academic achievement.
6. What does the Chancellor say about the judge "who cannot punish crime" in Scene 2?
7. What is the primary focus and pursuit of the emperor?
8. Why does Mephistopheles have a hard time fitting in on ancient classical soil?
9. Describe Baccalaureus's attitude towards learning and academic achievement.
10. Why does the homunculus take on the form of water at the end of Act II?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)