|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What instrument accompanies the gardeners in Scene 3 of Act I?
2. What form does the homunculus decide to take at the end of Act II?
(d) He decides to not take a form, but remain shapeless.
3. Why does Faust try to dispel Paris in Scene 7 of Act I?
(a) He's trying to protect Paris from the men at court.
(b) He wants Helen for himself.
(c) He is bored with Paris.
(d) Mephistopheles instructs him to.
4. What is the setting of Scene 3 in Act II?
(a) The main square of Athens.
(b) The temple of Athena.
(c) The setting is not given.
(d) The plains of Pharsalus.
5. Who is the first mind that is read by the homunculus?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the emperor attempts to examine the treasure chest Faust has brought him in Scene 3 of Act I?
2. What ailment of the Brunette does Mephistopheles cure in Scene 6 of Act I?
3. What is the eldest of the fates?
4. According to the astrologer in Scene 2, what is the fairest star?
5. Which group of people does Baccalaureus feel should be shot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What part of Philemon's description of Faust's efforts to the traveler is ominous?
2. What prompts Euphorion to climb to great heights and fly?
3. What things do Baucis and Philemon describe Faust as building in his new land in Act V?
4. Why does Faust despise the sound of the church bell?
5. What dichotomy is alluded to between the court of the emperor and the people of the kingdom in Scene 2?
6. What does Faust bid his son to beware of in Act II?
7. What is Faust angry with Mephistopheles in Scene 3 of Act V?
8. What does the chorus transform into at the end of Act III?
9. In the philosophical debate featured in Scene 3 of Act II, what does Anaxagoras believe is the origin and basis of nature and matter?
10. What observation does Mephistopheles make about a Faust's legacy after his death in Scene 5 of Act V?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)