|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the Emperor ask to see in the beginning of Scene 2 of Act I?
(a) His wiseman.
(b) The fool.
(c) The chancellor.
(d) The treasurer.
2. What is the state of Faust at the end of Act I?
(a) He is content and happily visiting with Mephistopheles.
(b) He is asleep.
(c) He has vanished with Paris and Helen.
(d) He is unconscious.
3. What is the setting of Scene 4 in Act I?
(a) The city center and site of the Carnvial celebration.
(b) The countryside.
(c) The pleasure gardens of the imperial court.
(d) The cathedral.
4. Who sings a song of rejuvenation to Faust?
(b) The flowers.
(d) Fairies of the field.
5. When Faust awakens in Act I, what are his impressions of his surroundings?
(a) He finds everything dark and dreary.
(b) He finds the landscape to be paradise.
(c) He finds the area just the way he remembers it, unchanging.
(d) He barely notices his surroundings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument accompanies the garden girls in Scene 3 of Act I?
2. Where does the prophetess instruct Faust to look for Helen in Act iI?
3. What form does the homunculus decide to take at the end of Act II?
4. What is the opinion of the women of the court of Paris?
5. What ancient mythological figure does the Astrologer compare Faust with in Scene 7 of Act I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the homunculus say that Faust is dreaming of in Scene 2 of Act II?
2. Why does the homunculus take on the form of water at the end of Act II?
3. Why is Faust seeking Helen in Act II?
4. Describe the pleasing landscape that Faust finds himself in at the beginning of this work (Act I).
5. Why does Mephistopheles have a hard time fitting in on ancient classical soil?
6. Why is Mephistopheles unable to see into Faust's dreams?
7. What are the Mothers that Faust visits in Scene 5?
8. What dichotomy is alluded to between the court of the emperor and the people of the kingdom in Scene 2?
9. What is symbolic about Faust's unconsciousness in the beginning of Act II?
10. Explain the circumstances at the end of Scene 7 of Act I, that lead to Faust being found unconscious on the floor.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)