|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two "orders" support the throne, according to the Chancellor in Scene 2 of Act I?
(a) The clergy and the knights.
(b) The advisors and the soldiers.
(c) The common people and the clergy.
(d) The soldiers and the clergy.
2. Who is the first mind that is read by the homunculus?
3. Why is Wagner successful in creating the homunculus in Scene II of Act II?
(a) He is not successful in creating the homunculus.
(b) He has several students assisting him.
(c) He uses a new procedure.
(d) He is aided by Mephistopheles.
4. According to the astrologer in Scene 2, what is the fairest star?
5. When Faust awakens in Act I, what are his impressions of his surroundings?
(a) He barely notices his surroundings.
(b) He finds the landscape to be paradise.
(c) He finds the area just the way he remembers it, unchanging.
(d) He finds everything dark and dreary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of creature is Chiron?
2. What does Faust distribute to the crowd in Scene 3 of Act I?
3. Where does Faust meet Mephistopheles in Scene 5 of Act I?
4. In what setting does Faust seek sleep in Act I?
5. Who was an earlier student of Faust that now works as his assistant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mephistopheles have a hard time fitting in on ancient classical soil?
2. Describe the appearance of the emperor during his entrance to the Carnival Masquerade.
3. What does the Chancellor say about the judge "who cannot punish crime" in Scene 2?
4. Describe Famulus's attitude towards learning and academic achievement.
5. Describe Baccalaureus's attitude towards learning and academic achievement.
6. Explain the circumstances at the end of Scene 7 of Act I, that lead to Faust being found unconscious on the floor.
7. Why is Mephistopheles unable to see into Faust's dreams?
8. Why is Mephistopheles upset that Faust tells the emperor he can conjure the spirits of Helen and Paris?
9. When Mephistopheles pays off the debts of the emperor with notes what is the response of the court?
10. What is the primary focus and pursuit of the emperor?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)