Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells the emperor they are out of wine in Scene 2 of Act I?
(a) The Steward.
(b) The Field Marshal.
(d) The Chancellor.
2. What instrument accompanies the garden girls in Scene 3 of Act I?
3. What type of creature is Chiron?
(a) A faun.
(b) A nymph.
(c) A demi-god.
(d) A centaur.
4. Who must Faust go to, in order to conjure Helen and Paris?
(a) The Fates.
(b) The Mothers.
(c) The Graces.
5. According to Mephistopheles, what must one possess to receive miracles?
(b) Good Luck.
(d) Divine blessing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles cure the blonde woman of in Scene 6 of Act I?
2. Which mythical group suggests that Faust seek out Chiron?
3. What is the opinion of the women of the court of Paris?
4. What is the name of the prophetess that Chiron takes Faust to in Act II?
5. How does the group travel with the homunculus to Walpurgis Night in Scene 2 of Act II?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the Mothers that Faust visits in Scene 5?
2. In Act III, what are some of Helen's doubts an fears about Menelaus's intentions?
3. When Care asks Faust if he has ever known her, what is his response?
4. Describe the appearance of the emperor during his entrance to the Carnival Masquerade.
5. What prompts Euphorion to climb to great heights and fly?
6. What dichotomy is alluded to between the court of the emperor and the people of the kingdom in Scene 2?
7. Explain the circumstances at the end of Scene 7 of Act I, that lead to Faust being found unconscious on the floor.
8. How does the chorus describe Mephistopheles' appearance in Scene 1 of Act III?
9. In the philosophical debate featured in Scene 3 of Act II, what does Thales believe is the origin and basis of nature and matter?
10. Describe the pleasing landscape that Faust finds himself in at the beginning of this work (Act I).
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)