|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What token does Mephistopheles give Lady to help her regain the affection of her lover in Scene 6 of Act I?
(a) A flower.
(b) A stone.
(c) A feather.
(d) A coal.
2. Who is the first mind that is read by the homunculus?
3. What is the setting of Scene 7 in Act I?
(a) A beautiful pleasure garden.
(b) A brightly lighted room.
(c) The setting is not disclosed.
(d) A dimly illuminated Baronial Hall.
4. What is the setting in the beginning of Act II?
(a) Faust's study.
(b) A pleasing countryside.
(c) The imperial court.
(d) Ancient Greece.
5. Who was an earlier student of Faust that now works as his assistant?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Emperor ask to see in the beginning of Scene 2 of Act I?
2. What reason does the homunculus tell Mephistopheles, to encourage him to take Faust to the classical Walpurgis Night?
3. Which mythical group suggests that Faust seek out Chiron?
4. Who responds to Mephistopheles ringing the bell in Act II?
5. According to Faust's dream, who is the father of Helen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolic about Faust's unconsciousness in the beginning of Act II?
2. In the philosophical debate featured in Scene 3 of Act II, what does Anaxagoras believe is the origin and basis of nature and matter?
3. Why does Mephistopheles have a hard time fitting in on ancient classical soil?
4. How does Mephistopheles become the new fool to the emperor?
5. When Mephistopheles pays off the debts of the emperor with notes what is the response of the court?
6. What dichotomy is alluded to between the court of the emperor and the people of the kingdom in Scene 2?
7. What is the primary focus and pursuit of the emperor?
8. Describe the appearance of the emperor during his entrance to the Carnival Masquerade.
9. What does the Chancellor say about the judge "who cannot punish crime" in Scene 2?
10. What are the Mothers that Faust visits in Scene 5?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)