|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What must Faust descend through to read the location given by the prophetess in Act II?
(a) The Temple of Demetrius.
(b) The home of Hades.
(c) The Garden of Eden.
(d) The Temple of Apollo.
2. What reason does the homunculus tell Mephistopheles, to encourage him to take Faust to the classical Walpurgis Night?
(a) The homunculus believes it will be amusing.
(b) He does not give a reason, but simply demands they go.
(c) It is the only way for Mephistopheles to understand Faust.
(d) Otherwise Faust will die.
3. Who is the queen of the dead as featured in Act II?
4. Who must Faust go to, in order to conjure Helen and Paris?
(a) The Graces.
(c) The Fates.
(d) The Mothers.
5. What is the eldest of the fates?
Short Answer Questions
1. What ailment of the Brunette does Mephistopheles cure in Scene 6 of Act I?
2. Why has the emperor requested Faust to conjure Helen and Paris?
3. Which group of people does Baccalaureus feel should be shot?
4. How does the group travel with the homunculus to Walpurgis Night in Scene 2 of Act II?
5. What is the opinion of the women of the court of Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dichotomy is alluded to between the court of the emperor and the people of the kingdom in Scene 2?
2. What advice does Mephistopheles give to the young page who is having trouble attracting women in Act I?
3. Why does Mephistopheles have a hard time fitting in on ancient classical soil?
4. What is the subject of the prologue of Scene 3 by the Thessalonian witch, Erichto?
5. Describe the appearance of the emperor during his entrance to the Carnival Masquerade.
6. In the philosophical debate featured in Scene 3 of Act II, what does Thales believe is the origin and basis of nature and matter?
7. What does the homunculus say that Faust is dreaming of in Scene 2 of Act II?
8. What is symbolic about Faust's unconsciousness in the beginning of Act II?
9. What is the primary focus and pursuit of the emperor?
10. Why does the homunculus take on the form of water at the end of Act II?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)