|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the female vampires called who Mephistopheles meets in Act II?
2. What holiday is the court preparing to celebrate in Act I?
(a) Day of the Kings.
(c) Winter Solstice.
(d) May Day.
3. What news does the marshal bring the emperor in the beginning of Scene 4 of Act I?
(a) He tells the emperor that the people are rioting.
(b) He tells the emperor that all of his debts have been paid in full.
(c) He tells the emperor a civil war has broken out.
(d) He tells the emperor that the people have built a statue for him.
4. What does Faust distribute to the crowd in Scene 3 of Act I?
(a) Anvils and hammers to do work.
(b) Magical money that transforms when it is touched.
(c) Beautiful jewelry that is bewitched to change colors.
(d) Food and wine.
5. Which is not a name of the graces mentioned in Scene 3 of Act I?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Phoebe's wheels symbolize in Act I, Scene 1?
2. What form does the homunculus decide to take at the end of Act II?
3. Who is specifically told to remain behind in his study rather than travel with the homunculus to Walpurgis Night?
4. Which group of people does Baccalaureus feel should be shot?
5. What is the setting of Scene 4 in Act I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolic about Faust's unconsciousness in the beginning of Act II?
2. Describe Baccalaureus's attitude towards learning and academic achievement.
3. What advice does Mephistopheles give to the young page who is having trouble attracting women in Act I?
4. Describe Famulus's attitude towards learning and academic achievement.
5. Describe the pleasing landscape that Faust finds himself in at the beginning of this work (Act I).
6. Describe the appearance of the emperor during his entrance to the Carnival Masquerade.
7. What are the Mothers that Faust visits in Scene 5?
8. Why does Mephistopheles have a hard time fitting in on ancient classical soil?
9. What does the homunculus say that Faust is dreaming of in Scene 2 of Act II?
10. In the philosophical debate featured in Scene 3 of Act II, what does Anaxagoras believe is the origin and basis of nature and matter?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)