|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells the emperor they are out of wine in Scene 2 of Act I?
(a) The Steward.
(b) The Field Marshal.
(c) The Chancellor.
2. What is the state of Faust at the end of Act I?
(a) He is asleep.
(b) He has vanished with Paris and Helen.
(c) He is content and happily visiting with Mephistopheles.
(d) He is unconscious.
3. What science is Wagner practicing in the laboratory when Mephistopheles comes upon him in Scene 2 of Act II?
(a) Molecular Biology.
4. Which figure guides the living Colossus in Scene 3 of Act I?
5. What does Wagner believe the sound of the bell accompanying Mephistopheles in Act II signals?
(a) Good things to come.
(b) The birth of an idea.
(c) The end of the day.
(d) A warning of an approaching evil.
Short Answer Questions
1. What token does Mephistopheles give Lady to help her regain the affection of her lover in Scene 6 of Act I?
2. What shape does Proteus take to transport the homunculus into the ocean on his back?
3. What is the setting of Scene 4 in Act I?
4. Who becomes the fool for the emperor in Scene 2 of Act I?
5. What is the opinion of the women of the court of Helen?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act III, what are some of Helen's doubts an fears about Menelaus's intentions?
2. What does the chorus transform into at the end of Act III?
3. How does Mephistopheles treat Helen's servants in Scene 1 of Act III?
4. Why is Faust's castle so alien to Helen?
5. What does Faust ask of Mephistopheles in Scene 2 of Act V?
6. Describe Baccalaureus's attitude towards learning and academic achievement.
7. What is the primary focus and pursuit of the emperor?
8. What prompts Euphorion to climb to great heights and fly?
9. What does Faust mean when he uses the term "modern" in regards to the palace offered by Mephistopheles in Act IV?
10. When Care asks Faust if he has ever known her, what is his response?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)