|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Faust decides to help the emperor, what does Mephistopheles turn him into?
(a) A skilled soldier.
(b) A general-in-chief with three aides.
(c) A calveryman.
(d) A savvy politician who can soothe the people.
2. What power does Mephistopheles first offer Faust in Scene 1 of Act IV?
(a) Power over the ocean.
(b) Power over all nations.
(c) All the riches of the land.
(d) A harem of women.
3. What modern luxurious city does Mephistopheles describe to Faust in Scene 1 of Act IV?
(c) New York.
4. What does Maia steal from Poseidon?
(a) His crown.
(b) His sword.
(c) His trident.
(d) His horse.
5. What does Mephistopheles tell Helen that frightens her in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) That her husband intends to sacrifice her.
(b) The he is going to eat her.
(c) That she will quicly grow old and ugly.
(d) That the servants are planning on killing her.
6. In Act IV, what do the clouds eventually transform into in Scene 1?
(a) The form of Gretchen.
(b) They completely evaporate and are formless.
(c) The form of Euphorion.
(d) The form of a dove.
7. What does Maia steal from Ares?
(a) His sword.
(b) His crown.
(c) His armor.
(d) His bow.
8. Who does Mephistopheles disguise himself as in Act III?
(c) A phorkyad.
9. What item does Havequick first want to plunder from the emperor in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) A large shield.
(b) A bag of coins.
(c) The emperor's crown.
(d) A steel-club.
10. As the chorus insults Mephistopheles in Act III, what is their intention?
(a) They hope to learn his name.
(b) They hope to make him laugh.
(c) They hope to scare him away.
(d) They hope he will lose his temper.
11. What event does Mephistopheles claim caused the creation of the mountains and valleys in Act IV?
(a) The exile of the devil.
(b) The birth of a new God.
(c) He does not know how they were created.
(d) A meteor shower.
12. What is the Maia the patron god of?
(a) Fishermen and sailors.
(c) Thieves and rascals.
(d) Princes and Kings.
13. What does the archbishop want the emperor to build on the land near the battlefield?
(a) An edifice to the fallen soldiers.
(b) A triumphal arch.
(c) A new palace.
(d) A grand church.
14. What does Maia steal from Hephaestus?
15. Where have Faust and Helen been staying in Scene 3 of Act III?
(a) Some caves.
(b) In a cottage by the sea.
(c) In an elaborate palace.
(d) On a ship belonging to Paris.
Short Answer Questions
1. What remains of Euphorion after his fall?
2. What does Maia steal from Zeus?
3. How does Faust account for the formation of mountains and valleys in Act IV?
4. When Mephistopheles asks Faust what he desires in Scene 1 of Act IV, how does Faust respond?
5. What does the chorus cry as Euphorion falls?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)