|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Faust decides to help the emperor, what does Mephistopheles turn him into?
(a) A skilled soldier.
(b) A general-in-chief with three aides.
(c) A savvy politician who can soothe the people.
(d) A calveryman.
2. Who first discovers Speed-booty and Havequick trying to plunder the emperor's things?
(c) The arch-marshal.
3. Why does Helen promptly return to the chorus after she leaves in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) She is lonely and quickly seeks company from the chorus.
(b) She has forgotten her shawl, which she needs to enter the temple.
(c) A messenger brings her word to return.
(d) She is frightened of a creature in the palace.
4. What help does Faust claim that the necromant is willing to offer the emperor?
(b) Additional troops.
(d) Advanced weaponry technology.
5. What item does Havequick first want to plunder from the emperor in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) The emperor's crown.
(b) A large shield.
(c) A steel-club.
(d) A bag of coins.
6. Who is the ruler of the hiding place that Mephistopheles suggests to Helen?
7. Just as Faust begins to tell Mephistopheles his true desires in Scene 1 of Act IV, what does Mephistopheles do?
(a) Leave the scene.
(b) He begins to ignore Faust and continue talking of fame.
(c) Conjure Wagner to their location.
(d) Interupt him.
8. Where does Faust land at the beginning of Act IV?
(a) In a river.
(b) In his castle in the north.
(c) On a mountain.
(d) Back in his study.
9. What prohibits Speed-booty and Havequick from packing away a pile of gold on their backs?
(a) They become weak from the fighting and have to rest.
(b) A hole in the apron they pack the gold in.
(c) They trip over some ropes and become entangled in the tent.
(d) The weight of the gold is too much to lift.
10. In Act IV, what do the clouds eventually transform into in Scene 1?
(a) The form of Gretchen.
(b) They completely evaporate and are formless.
(c) The form of a dove.
(d) The form of Euphorion.
11. What country is the setting of Scene 1 in Act III?
(c) The country is not given.
12. Which God, does Mephistopheles tell the creation myth of to the chorus in Act III?
13. In the beginning of Act IV, what form do the clouds take on first?
(a) The form of Faust.
(b) The form of Leda and Helen.
(c) The form of Zeus and Ares.
(d) The image of Mephisotpheles.
14. What event do Faust and Mephistopheles see taking place at the end of Scene 1 of Act IV?
(a) The witness a shooting star.
(b) The witness the rape of Leda.
(c) They wintess a procession of women to a ritual sacrifice.
(d) They witness a battle taking place in the emporer's kingdom.
15. What is the name of the leader of the chorus?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mephistopheles asks Faust what he desires in Scene 1 of Act IV, how does Faust respond?
2. As the chorus insults Mephistopheles in Act III, what is their intention?
3. Where does Faust and Helen flee to at the end of Scene 2 in Act III?
4. What does the landscape remind Mephistopheles of in Scene 1 of Act IV?
5. Who does Faust claim sent him to the emperor?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)