|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which God, does Mephistopheles tell the creation myth of to the chorus in Act III?
2. Why does Faust declare Lynceus's life forfeit?
(a) Because he fails to bow to Faust as he passes.
(b) Because he attempts to kiss Helen.
(c) Because Lynceus has stolen something from Faust.
(d) Because he fails to notice the arrival of Helen.
3. Who is not one of the aides to Faust in Act IV?
4. How does the emperor respond when he sees Faust in Scene 2 of Act IV?
(a) He is overjoyed and happy.
(b) He is sad.
(c) He does not recognize him.
(d) He is fearful that Faust has come to seize the kingdom.
5. When Mephistopheles asks Faust what he desires in Scene 1 of Act IV, how does Faust respond?
(a) Faust refuses to respond to Mephistopheles's question.
(b) Faust tells Mephistopheles to guess his desires.
(c) Faust claims he does not desire anything.
(d) Faust tells Mephistopheles he desires earthly powers.
6. Where does Mephistopheles suggest that Helen should hide at the end of Scene 1 of Act III?
(b) The underworld.
(c) In the temple of Zeus.
(d) A castle in the North.
7. What is the name of the son of Helen and Faust?
8. In Act IV, what do the clouds eventually transform into in Scene 1?
(a) The form of Gretchen.
(b) The form of Euphorion.
(c) The form of a dove.
(d) They completely evaporate and are formless.
9. How does Faust account for the formation of mountains and valleys in Act IV?
(a) He thinks they were created gradually over time.
(b) He thinks they were created in one grand event.
(c) He thinks the mountains were created instantly, but the valleys shaped slowly over millenia.
(d) He does not know how they came to be.
10. Who tells Faust and Helen that Menelaus has arrived with his armies?
(b) No one tells Faust, he sees his approach.
11. What does the chorus cry as Euphorion falls?
(d) Woe unto Faust.
12. What modern luxurious city does Mephistopheles describe to Faust in Scene 1 of Act IV?
(b) New York.
13. What is the setting of Scene 3 in Act IV?
(a) The mountainside.
(b) The emperor's tent.
(c) The battlefield.
(d) The castle.
14. Who pardons Lynceus?
15. Where does Faust land at the beginning of Act IV?
(a) In his castle in the north.
(b) Back in his study.
(c) On a mountain.
(d) In a river.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helen ask Faust to teach her in Scene 2 of Act III?
2. What drink does the arch-cupbearer plan to give the emperor at the celebrations?
3. What item does Havequick first want to plunder from the emperor in Scene 3 of Act IV?
4. Who is not a member of Faust's entourage that is mentioned in Scene 2 of Act III?
5. Who does Faust claim sent him to the emperor?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)