|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the chorus describe Menelaus in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) They do not mention Menelaus.
(b) As a hero.
(c) As a coward.
(d) As a villan.
2. What authority does the archbishop demand from the emperor in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) The power to release prisoners of war.
(b) The power to collect taxes on his territory.
(c) The power to knight soldiers.
(d) The power to grant asylum to refuges.
3. Which God, does Mephistopheles tell the creation myth of to the chorus in Act III?
4. What is Helen afraid of in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) She is afraid of being attacked by disgruntled servants.
(b) She is afraid she will never again see Paris.
(c) She is afraid of losing her beauty.
(d) She is afraid of being sacrificed by Menelaus.
5. Where does Mephistopheles suggest that Helen should hide at the end of Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) A castle in the North.
(b) In the temple of Zeus.
(d) The underworld.
6. What country is the setting of Scene 1 in Act III?
(c) The country is not given.
7. How does the emperor respond when he sees Faust in Scene 2 of Act IV?
(a) He does not recognize him.
(b) He is sad.
(c) He is overjoyed and happy.
(d) He is fearful that Faust has come to seize the kingdom.
8. What does Mephistopheles tell Helen that frightens her in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) That the servants are planning on killing her.
(b) That she will quicly grow old and ugly.
(c) The he is going to eat her.
(d) That her husband intends to sacrifice her.
9. What follows Mephistopheles and Helen as they flee at the end of Scene 1 in Act III?
(b) Several hopeful suitors for Helen.
(c) A group of phorkyads.
(d) A dark cloud.
10. What does Maia steal from Zeus?
(a) A statue.
(b) His daughter.
(c) His crown.
(d) His Thunderbolts.
11. What is the setting of Scene 3 in Act IV?
(a) The battlefield.
(b) The emperor's tent.
(c) The mountainside.
(d) The castle.
12. Who take Euphorion's clothing?
(c) No one takes his clothing.
13. In Act IV, what do the clouds eventually transform into in Scene 1?
(a) The form of Euphorion.
(b) The form of Gretchen.
(c) They completely evaporate and are formless.
(d) The form of a dove.
14. What power does Mephistopheles first offer Faust in Scene 1 of Act IV?
(a) All the riches of the land.
(b) Power over all nations.
(c) A harem of women.
(d) Power over the ocean.
15. What prohibits Speed-booty and Havequick from packing away a pile of gold on their backs?
(a) A hole in the apron they pack the gold in.
(b) They trip over some ropes and become entangled in the tent.
(c) They become weak from the fighting and have to rest.
(d) The weight of the gold is too much to lift.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the ruler of the hiding place that Mephistopheles suggests to Helen?
2. What does the archbishop want the emperor to build on the land near the battlefield?
3. What is the Maia the patron god of?
4. Who tells Faust and Helen that Menelaus has arrived with his armies?
5. Who pardons Lynceus?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)