|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Helen ask Faust to teach her in Scene 2 of Act III?
(a) To sing.
(b) To speak in rhyme.
(c) To play a lute.
(d) To dance.
2. Where does Faust and Helen flee to at the end of Scene 2 in Act III?
(d) Their place of refuge is not named.
3. Where does Faust land at the beginning of Act IV?
(a) On a mountain.
(b) In a river.
(c) In his castle in the north.
(d) Back in his study.
4. What does the chorus ask Mephistopheles at the beginning of Scene 3 in Act III?
(a) They ask his identity.
(b) They ask what they should give Faust as a token of appreciation.
(c) They ask where they are.
(d) They ask what has happened in their splendor.
5. What does Menelaus order Helen to do before he left her in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) Take a vow of silence.
(b) Prepare a feast for his return.
(c) Bathe and robe herself.
(d) Prepare a sacrifical hearth.
6. What prohibits Speed-booty and Havequick from packing away a pile of gold on their backs?
(a) They trip over some ropes and become entangled in the tent.
(b) A hole in the apron they pack the gold in.
(c) The weight of the gold is too much to lift.
(d) They become weak from the fighting and have to rest.
7. In Act IV, what do the clouds eventually transform into in Scene 1?
(a) They completely evaporate and are formless.
(b) The form of Gretchen.
(c) The form of Euphorion.
(d) The form of a dove.
8. Who does Mephistopheles disguise himself as in Act III?
(d) A phorkyad.
9. What is the name of the leader of the chorus?
10. Who is not a member of Faust's entourage that is mentioned in Scene 2 of Act III?
(c) His entourage is not described.
(d) A fool.
11. What does Maia steal from Ares?
(a) His bow.
(b) His sword.
(c) His armor.
(d) His crown.
12. What does the emperor give to the Arch-Marshal in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) A new horse.
(b) A bride.
(c) A new castle.
(d) A sword.
13. What drink does the arch-cupbearer plan to give the emperor at the celebrations?
(a) Grape juice in a golden goblet.
(b) A robust red wine.
(c) A simple drink of water.
(d) A clear Venetian glass.
14. Just as Faust begins to tell Mephistopheles his true desires in Scene 1 of Act IV, what does Mephistopheles do?
(a) Conjure Wagner to their location.
(b) Interupt him.
(c) Leave the scene.
(d) He begins to ignore Faust and continue talking of fame.
15. What is the name of the son of Helen and Faust?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the emperor sign at the end of Act IV?
2. What remains of Euphorion after his fall?
3. When Faust decides to help the emperor, what does Mephistopheles turn him into?
4. Why does Helen promptly return to the chorus after she leaves in Scene 1 of Act III?
5. What realization does the archbishop make about the emperor's tactics in battle?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)