|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event does Mephistopheles claim caused the creation of the mountains and valleys in Act IV?
(a) A meteor shower.
(b) The birth of a new God.
(c) The exile of the devil.
(d) He does not know how they were created.
2. What item does Havequick first want to plunder from the emperor in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) The emperor's crown.
(b) A steel-club.
(c) A bag of coins.
(d) A large shield.
3. Who pardons Lynceus?
4. Who does Mephistopheles disguise himself as in Act III?
(c) A phorkyad.
5. What realization does the archbishop make about the emperor's tactics in battle?
(a) That the emperor bribed opposing troops.
(b) He knows nothing about the emperor's tactics.
(c) That the emperor used spies in the battle.
(d) That the emperor has used magic to win the battle.
6. Where does Faust land at the beginning of Act IV?
(a) On a mountain.
(b) In his castle in the north.
(c) In a river.
(d) Back in his study.
7. Who does the archbishop accuse the emperor of being in league with in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(b) The rival emperor.
(c) He makes no accusation towards the emperor.
8. What does Menelaus order Helen to do before he left her in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) Prepare a feast for his return.
(b) Prepare a sacrifical hearth.
(c) Take a vow of silence.
(d) Bathe and robe herself.
9. How does Faust account for the formation of mountains and valleys in Act IV?
(a) He thinks they were created gradually over time.
(b) He does not know how they came to be.
(c) He thinks the mountains were created instantly, but the valleys shaped slowly over millenia.
(d) He thinks they were created in one grand event.
10. Who is not one of the aides to Faust in Act IV?
11. Which God, does Mephistopheles tell the creation myth of to the chorus in Act III?
12. What does the emperor give to the Arch-Marshal in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) A sword.
(b) A bride.
(c) A new castle.
(d) A new horse.
13. When Faust decides to help the emperor, what does Mephistopheles turn him into?
(a) A skilled soldier.
(b) A general-in-chief with three aides.
(c) A calveryman.
(d) A savvy politician who can soothe the people.
14. What country is the setting of Scene 1 in Act III?
(c) The country is not given.
15. What is Helen afraid of in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) She is afraid of losing her beauty.
(b) She is afraid she will never again see Paris.
(c) She is afraid of being sacrificed by Menelaus.
(d) She is afraid of being attacked by disgruntled servants.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Faust's lookout?
2. Where does Helen go after the chorus tries to assuage her fears in Scene 1 of Act III?
3. What does the chorus ask Mephistopheles at the beginning of Scene 3 in Act III?
4. What is the name of the son of Helen and Faust?
5. Where does Mephistopheles suggest that Helen should hide at the end of Scene 1 of Act III?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)