|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event does Mephistopheles claim caused the creation of the mountains and valleys in Act IV?
(a) The birth of a new God.
(b) He does not know how they were created.
(c) A meteor shower.
(d) The exile of the devil.
2. What modern luxurious city does Mephistopheles describe to Faust in Scene 1 of Act IV?
(a) New York.
3. When Mephistopheles asks Faust what he desires in Scene 1 of Act IV, how does Faust respond?
(a) Faust claims he does not desire anything.
(b) Faust refuses to respond to Mephistopheles's question.
(c) Faust tells Mephistopheles to guess his desires.
(d) Faust tells Mephistopheles he desires earthly powers.
4. What is Helen afraid of in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) She is afraid she will never again see Paris.
(b) She is afraid of losing her beauty.
(c) She is afraid of being attacked by disgruntled servants.
(d) She is afraid of being sacrificed by Menelaus.
5. What is the name of the leader of the chorus?
6. Where does Mephistopheles suggest that Helen should hide at the end of Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) In the temple of Zeus.
(b) The underworld.
(d) A castle in the North.
7. What does Faust embrace as he is lifted into the sky at the end of Act III?
(a) The leader of the chorus.
(b) His money.
(d) Helen's garments.
8. Why does Helen promptly return to the chorus after she leaves in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) A messenger brings her word to return.
(b) She is lonely and quickly seeks company from the chorus.
(c) She has forgotten her shawl, which she needs to enter the temple.
(d) She is frightened of a creature in the palace.
9. What does the emperor give the Arch-Chamberlain in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) Some gold coins.
(b) A watch.
(d) A chicken.
10. What does Menelaus order Helen to do before he left her in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) Bathe and robe herself.
(b) Take a vow of silence.
(c) Prepare a feast for his return.
(d) Prepare a sacrifical hearth.
11. Who is not one of the aides to Faust in Act IV?
12. What does Helen ask Faust to teach her in Scene 2 of Act III?
(a) To play a lute.
(b) To sing.
(c) To dance.
(d) To speak in rhyme.
13. What realization does the archbishop make about the emperor's tactics in battle?
(a) That the emperor has used magic to win the battle.
(b) That the emperor used spies in the battle.
(c) That the emperor bribed opposing troops.
(d) He knows nothing about the emperor's tactics.
14. What help does Faust claim that the necromant is willing to offer the emperor?
(c) Additional troops.
(d) Advanced weaponry technology.
15. What prohibits Speed-booty and Havequick from packing away a pile of gold on their backs?
(a) A hole in the apron they pack the gold in.
(b) They trip over some ropes and become entangled in the tent.
(c) The weight of the gold is too much to lift.
(d) They become weak from the fighting and have to rest.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Faust land at the beginning of Act IV?
2. What item does Havequick first want to plunder from the emperor in Scene 3 of Act IV?
3. What country is the setting of Scene 1 in Act III?
4. When Faust decides to help the emperor, what does Mephistopheles turn him into?
5. What event are the advisers of the emperor excited to plan in Scene 3 of Act IV?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)