|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Menelaus order Helen to do before he left her in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) Prepare a sacrifical hearth.
(b) Bathe and robe herself.
(c) Take a vow of silence.
(d) Prepare a feast for his return.
2. What does the emperor sign at the end of Act IV?
(a) A treaty with the rival emperor.
(b) A deed of the land to Faust.
(c) A contract with the archbishop.
(d) A proclamation declaring the festivities.
3. In the beginning of Act IV, what form do the clouds take on first?
(a) The image of Mephisotpheles.
(b) The form of Leda and Helen.
(c) The form of Zeus and Ares.
(d) The form of Faust.
4. What does Maia steal from Ares?
(a) His sword.
(b) His bow.
(c) His crown.
(d) His armor.
5. What follows Mephistopheles and Helen as they flee at the end of Scene 1 in Act III?
(a) A dark cloud.
(c) A group of phorkyads.
(d) Several hopeful suitors for Helen.
6. What is Helen afraid of in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) She is afraid she will never again see Paris.
(b) She is afraid of being sacrificed by Menelaus.
(c) She is afraid of being attacked by disgruntled servants.
(d) She is afraid of losing her beauty.
7. What is the name of the son of Helen and Faust?
8. When Mephistopheles asks Faust what he desires in Scene 1 of Act IV, how does Faust respond?
(a) Faust tells Mephistopheles he desires earthly powers.
(b) Faust claims he does not desire anything.
(c) Faust tells Mephistopheles to guess his desires.
(d) Faust refuses to respond to Mephistopheles's question.
9. What country is the setting of Scene 1 in Act III?
(d) The country is not given.
10. What does the chorus cry as Euphorion falls?
(d) Woe unto Faust.
11. What does the archbishop want the emperor to build on the land near the battlefield?
(a) A new palace.
(b) A grand church.
(c) An edifice to the fallen soldiers.
(d) A triumphal arch.
12. Why does Faust declare Lynceus's life forfeit?
(a) Because he fails to bow to Faust as he passes.
(b) Because he attempts to kiss Helen.
(c) Because Lynceus has stolen something from Faust.
(d) Because he fails to notice the arrival of Helen.
13. What help does Faust claim that the necromant is willing to offer the emperor?
(b) Advanced weaponry technology.
(d) Additional troops.
14. What does the emperor give the Arch-Chamberlain in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) A watch.
(b) Some gold coins.
(d) A chicken.
15. Where does Mephistopheles suggest that Helen should hide at the end of Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) The underworld.
(c) A castle in the North.
(d) In the temple of Zeus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the chorus ask Mephistopheles at the beginning of Scene 3 in Act III?
2. What does the emperor give to the Arch-Marshal in Scene 3 of Act IV?
3. Who is Helen married to in Scene 1 of Act III?
4. What power does Mephistopheles first offer Faust in Scene 1 of Act IV?
5. Where does Faust land at the beginning of Act IV?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)