|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Faust land at the beginning of Act IV?
(a) Back in his study.
(b) On a mountain.
(c) In his castle in the north.
(d) In a river.
2. Who is not one of the aides to Faust in Act IV?
3. Who take Euphorion's clothing?
(b) No one takes his clothing.
4. What does Maia steal from Poseidon?
(a) His sword.
(b) His horse.
(c) His crown.
(d) His trident.
5. Who pardons Lynceus?
6. Just as Faust begins to tell Mephistopheles his true desires in Scene 1 of Act IV, what does Mephistopheles do?
(a) He begins to ignore Faust and continue talking of fame.
(b) Leave the scene.
(c) Conjure Wagner to their location.
(d) Interupt him.
7. As the chorus insults Mephistopheles in Act III, what is their intention?
(a) They hope to make him laugh.
(b) They hope to learn his name.
(c) They hope to scare him away.
(d) They hope he will lose his temper.
8. What item does Speed-Booty first want to plunder from the emperor in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) A ring.
(b) A carpet.
(c) A large platter.
(d) A set of arrows.
9. Which God, does Mephistopheles tell the creation myth of to the chorus in Act III?
10. What is Faust wearing when he first meets with the emperor in Act IV?
(a) Long luxurient robes.
(b) He is dressed as poor villager.
(c) Armor complete with a half-visor.
(d) He is in the classical dress of Greece.
11. What prohibits Speed-booty and Havequick from packing away a pile of gold on their backs?
(a) They trip over some ropes and become entangled in the tent.
(b) They become weak from the fighting and have to rest.
(c) The weight of the gold is too much to lift.
(d) A hole in the apron they pack the gold in.
12. What is the name of Faust's lookout?
13. Where have Faust and Helen been staying in Scene 3 of Act III?
(a) In an elaborate palace.
(b) Some caves.
(c) On a ship belonging to Paris.
(d) In a cottage by the sea.
14. What power does Mephistopheles first offer Faust in Scene 1 of Act IV?
(a) Power over the ocean.
(b) Power over all nations.
(c) A harem of women.
(d) All the riches of the land.
15. Who does Mephistopheles disguise himself as in Act III?
(d) A phorkyad.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the chorus ask Mephistopheles at the beginning of Scene 3 in Act III?
2. What does the emperor give the Arch-Chamberlain in Scene 3 of Act IV?
3. What event do Faust and Mephistopheles see taking place at the end of Scene 1 of Act IV?
4. What does the landscape remind Mephistopheles of in Scene 1 of Act IV?
5. What item does Havequick first want to plunder from the emperor in Scene 3 of Act IV?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)