|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles conjure in the battle to help the emperor in Act IV?
(b) Sea Monsters and St. Elmo's fire.
(c) A hurricane.
(d) A group of fighting centaurs.
2. What item does Speed-Booty first want to plunder from the emperor in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) A carpet.
(b) A ring.
(c) A large platter.
(d) A set of arrows.
3. What modern luxurious city does Mephistopheles describe to Faust in Scene 1 of Act IV?
(a) New York.
4. How does Faust account for the formation of mountains and valleys in Act IV?
(a) He thinks they were created in one grand event.
(b) He does not know how they came to be.
(c) He thinks the mountains were created instantly, but the valleys shaped slowly over millenia.
(d) He thinks they were created gradually over time.
5. What does Maia steal from Ares?
(a) His crown.
(b) His sword.
(c) His armor.
(d) His bow.
6. What does Maia steal from Hephaestus?
7. What does the emperor sign at the end of Act IV?
(a) A deed of the land to Faust.
(b) A contract with the archbishop.
(c) A treaty with the rival emperor.
(d) A proclamation declaring the festivities.
8. What does the emperor give the Arch-Chamberlain in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) Some gold coins.
(b) A watch.
(d) A chicken.
9. Why is the necromant of Sabine Norcia indebted to the emperor?
(a) The emperor pardoned him from being burned years ago.
(b) The emperor has lent him a large sum of money.
(c) The emperor gave him a parcel of land.
(d) He is the son of the emperor.
10. Who does Faust claim sent him to the emperor?
(a) He claims he was sent by Zeus.
(b) He claims he was sent by a wizard.
(c) He claims he was sent by the rival emperor.
(d) He does not say who sent him.
11. What is the name of the son of Helen and Faust?
12. Who is Helen married to in Scene 1 of Act III?
13. What remains of Euphorion after his fall?
(a) A painting of his face.
(b) A small ring of flowers.
(c) His money.
(d) His clothing.
14. What is Helen afraid of in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) She is afraid she will never again see Paris.
(b) She is afraid of being attacked by disgruntled servants.
(c) She is afraid of being sacrificed by Menelaus.
(d) She is afraid of losing her beauty.
15. What drink does the arch-cupbearer plan to give the emperor at the celebrations?
(a) Grape juice in a golden goblet.
(b) A clear Venetian glass.
(c) A robust red wine.
(d) A simple drink of water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the leader of the chorus?
2. What is Faust wearing when he first meets with the emperor in Act IV?
3. Who is the ruler of the hiding place that Mephistopheles suggests to Helen?
4. Who supposed to seal the royal documents in Scene 3 of Act IV?
5. In Act IV, what do the clouds eventually transform into in Scene 1?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)