|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Faust decides to help the emperor, what does Mephistopheles turn him into?
(a) A general-in-chief with three aides.
(b) A calveryman.
(c) A skilled soldier.
(d) A savvy politician who can soothe the people.
2. Who first discovers Speed-booty and Havequick trying to plunder the emperor's things?
(b) The arch-marshal.
3. What event are the advisers of the emperor excited to plan in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) A trial for the prisoners of war.
(b) A masked ball.
(c) A victory banquet.
(d) A triumphant parade.
4. What is the name of the leader of the chorus?
5. What event do Faust and Mephistopheles see taking place at the end of Scene 1 of Act IV?
(a) They wintess a procession of women to a ritual sacrifice.
(b) The witness the rape of Leda.
(c) They witness a battle taking place in the emporer's kingdom.
(d) The witness a shooting star.
6. What does the chorus ask Mephistopheles at the beginning of Scene 3 in Act III?
(a) They ask where they are.
(b) They ask his identity.
(c) They ask what they should give Faust as a token of appreciation.
(d) They ask what has happened in their splendor.
7. In the beginning of Act IV, what form do the clouds take on first?
(a) The form of Zeus and Ares.
(b) The image of Mephisotpheles.
(c) The form of Leda and Helen.
(d) The form of Faust.
8. What does the emperor sign at the end of Act IV?
(a) A treaty with the rival emperor.
(b) A contract with the archbishop.
(c) A proclamation declaring the festivities.
(d) A deed of the land to Faust.
9. What modern luxurious city does Mephistopheles describe to Faust in Scene 1 of Act IV?
(a) New York.
10. What does Maia steal from Ares?
(a) His bow.
(b) His armor.
(c) His sword.
(d) His crown.
11. What does the landscape remind Mephistopheles of in Scene 1 of Act IV?
(a) His home, hell.
(c) Classical Greece.
12. What drink does the arch-cupbearer plan to give the emperor at the celebrations?
(a) Grape juice in a golden goblet.
(b) A simple drink of water.
(c) A robust red wine.
(d) A clear Venetian glass.
13. What country is the setting of Scene 1 in Act III?
(c) The country is not given.
14. What follows Mephistopheles and Helen as they flee at the end of Scene 1 in Act III?
(b) Several hopeful suitors for Helen.
(c) A dark cloud.
(d) A group of phorkyads.
15. Who is Helen married to in Scene 1 of Act III?
Short Answer Questions
1. As the chorus insults Mephistopheles in Act III, what is their intention?
2. Who is not a member of Faust's entourage that is mentioned in Scene 2 of Act III?
3. What does the chorus cry as Euphorion falls?
4. Who does Faust claim sent him to the emperor?
5. What does Mephistopheles conjure in the battle to help the emperor in Act IV?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)