|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is not a member of Faust's entourage that is mentioned in Scene 2 of Act III?
(a) His entourage is not described.
(d) A fool.
2. What does Helen ask Faust to teach her in Scene 2 of Act III?
(a) To dance.
(b) To play a lute.
(c) To speak in rhyme.
(d) To sing.
3. What does Faust embrace as he is lifted into the sky at the end of Act III?
(a) The leader of the chorus.
(b) Helen's garments.
(d) His money.
4. In the beginning of Act IV, what form do the clouds take on first?
(a) The image of Mephisotpheles.
(b) The form of Zeus and Ares.
(c) The form of Faust.
(d) The form of Leda and Helen.
5. Where does Faust and Helen flee to at the end of Scene 2 in Act III?
(a) Their place of refuge is not named.
6. Where does Faust land at the beginning of Act IV?
(a) In a river.
(b) In his castle in the north.
(c) Back in his study.
(d) On a mountain.
7. Who does Faust claim sent him to the emperor?
(a) He claims he was sent by Zeus.
(b) He does not say who sent him.
(c) He claims he was sent by the rival emperor.
(d) He claims he was sent by a wizard.
8. What does Maia steal from Ares?
(a) His sword.
(b) His bow.
(c) His crown.
(d) His armor.
9. What does the chorus cry as Euphorion falls?
(d) Woe unto Faust.
10. At the end of Act IV, what is the outlook of the emperor in regards to his kingdom?
(a) He thinks things wil go back to how they were before the war.
(b) He fears it will be ruined by extortion of the church.
(c) He is hopeful it will prosper.
(d) He fears it will be conquered by another rival.
11. Who is Helen married to in Scene 1 of Act III?
12. Where does Mephistopheles suggest that Helen should hide at the end of Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) A castle in the North.
(b) In the temple of Zeus.
(c) The underworld.
13. What prohibits Speed-booty and Havequick from packing away a pile of gold on their backs?
(a) They trip over some ropes and become entangled in the tent.
(b) A hole in the apron they pack the gold in.
(c) The weight of the gold is too much to lift.
(d) They become weak from the fighting and have to rest.
14. What does Maia steal from Zeus?
(a) His Thunderbolts.
(b) His daughter.
(c) A statue.
(d) His crown.
15. What is the setting of Scene 3 in Act IV?
(a) The emperor's tent.
(b) The castle.
(c) The battlefield.
(d) The mountainside.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the son of Helen and Faust?
2. What does Mephistopheles conjure in the battle to help the emperor in Act IV?
3. How does the chorus describe Menelaus in Scene 1 of Act III?
4. Why does Faust declare Lynceus's life forfeit?
5. Who is not one of the aides to Faust in Act IV?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)