|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Just as Faust begins to tell Mephistopheles his true desires in Scene 1 of Act IV, what does Mephistopheles do?
(a) Interupt him.
(b) He begins to ignore Faust and continue talking of fame.
(c) Leave the scene.
(d) Conjure Wagner to their location.
2. Who is the ruler of the hiding place that Mephistopheles suggests to Helen?
3. What is the name of the son of Helen and Faust?
4. What power does Mephistopheles first offer Faust in Scene 1 of Act IV?
(a) Power over the ocean.
(b) All the riches of the land.
(c) A harem of women.
(d) Power over all nations.
5. How does Faust account for the formation of mountains and valleys in Act IV?
(a) He thinks they were created gradually over time.
(b) He thinks the mountains were created instantly, but the valleys shaped slowly over millenia.
(c) He does not know how they came to be.
(d) He thinks they were created in one grand event.
6. What is the setting of Scene 3 in Act IV?
(a) The mountainside.
(b) The castle.
(c) The emperor's tent.
(d) The battlefield.
7. What item does Havequick first want to plunder from the emperor in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) A bag of coins.
(b) The emperor's crown.
(c) A steel-club.
(d) A large shield.
8. At the end of Act IV, what is the outlook of the emperor in regards to his kingdom?
(a) He thinks things wil go back to how they were before the war.
(b) He fears it will be conquered by another rival.
(c) He is hopeful it will prosper.
(d) He fears it will be ruined by extortion of the church.
9. What does the archbishop want the emperor to build on the land near the battlefield?
(a) An edifice to the fallen soldiers.
(b) A new palace.
(c) A grand church.
(d) A triumphal arch.
10. Where have Faust and Helen been staying in Scene 3 of Act III?
(a) In a cottage by the sea.
(b) On a ship belonging to Paris.
(c) In an elaborate palace.
(d) Some caves.
11. What does the emperor sign at the end of Act IV?
(a) A proclamation declaring the festivities.
(b) A deed of the land to Faust.
(c) A contract with the archbishop.
(d) A treaty with the rival emperor.
12. When Mephistopheles asks Faust what he desires in Scene 1 of Act IV, how does Faust respond?
(a) Faust refuses to respond to Mephistopheles's question.
(b) Faust claims he does not desire anything.
(c) Faust tells Mephistopheles he desires earthly powers.
(d) Faust tells Mephistopheles to guess his desires.
13. Where does Faust land at the beginning of Act IV?
(a) In his castle in the north.
(b) On a mountain.
(c) In a river.
(d) Back in his study.
14. Where does Helen go after the chorus tries to assuage her fears in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) Into a grove of trees.
(b) Into the palace.
(c) She goes into Athena's temple.
(d) She flees to Arcadia.
15. Who does Faust claim sent him to the emperor?
(a) He claims he was sent by the rival emperor.
(b) He does not say who sent him.
(c) He claims he was sent by Zeus.
(d) He claims he was sent by a wizard.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which God, does Mephistopheles tell the creation myth of to the chorus in Act III?
2. Why does Faust declare Lynceus's life forfeit?
3. Who tells Faust and Helen that Menelaus has arrived with his armies?
4. Who is Helen married to in Scene 1 of Act III?
5. Who is not a member of Faust's entourage that is mentioned in Scene 2 of Act III?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)