|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What remains of Euphorion after his fall?
(a) His money.
(b) A small ring of flowers.
(c) A painting of his face.
(d) His clothing.
2. What drink does the arch-cupbearer plan to give the emperor at the celebrations?
(a) A robust red wine.
(b) Grape juice in a golden goblet.
(c) A clear Venetian glass.
(d) A simple drink of water.
3. What is Mephistopheles' final action in Act III?
(a) To sing a song in praise of Faust.
(b) To weep for Helen.
(c) To write a letter to Menelaus.
(d) To remove the mask of Phorkyas and reveal himself.
4. What modern luxurious city does Mephistopheles describe to Faust in Scene 1 of Act IV?
(c) New York.
5. What realization does the archbishop make about the emperor's tactics in battle?
(a) That the emperor used spies in the battle.
(b) That the emperor has used magic to win the battle.
(c) That the emperor bribed opposing troops.
(d) He knows nothing about the emperor's tactics.
6. Where does Faust and Helen flee to at the end of Scene 2 in Act III?
(b) Their place of refuge is not named.
7. What does Menelaus order Helen to do before he left her in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) Prepare a feast for his return.
(b) Prepare a sacrifical hearth.
(c) Take a vow of silence.
(d) Bathe and robe herself.
8. Where have Faust and Helen been staying in Scene 3 of Act III?
(a) In an elaborate palace.
(b) Some caves.
(c) In a cottage by the sea.
(d) On a ship belonging to Paris.
9. Why does Faust declare Lynceus's life forfeit?
(a) Because he attempts to kiss Helen.
(b) Because Lynceus has stolen something from Faust.
(c) Because he fails to bow to Faust as he passes.
(d) Because he fails to notice the arrival of Helen.
10. Why does Helen promptly return to the chorus after she leaves in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) She is lonely and quickly seeks company from the chorus.
(b) She has forgotten her shawl, which she needs to enter the temple.
(c) A messenger brings her word to return.
(d) She is frightened of a creature in the palace.
11. Why is the necromant of Sabine Norcia indebted to the emperor?
(a) He is the son of the emperor.
(b) The emperor has lent him a large sum of money.
(c) The emperor gave him a parcel of land.
(d) The emperor pardoned him from being burned years ago.
12. Where does Helen go after the chorus tries to assuage her fears in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) She flees to Arcadia.
(b) Into the palace.
(c) She goes into Athena's temple.
(d) Into a grove of trees.
13. Who is not one of the aides to Faust in Act IV?
14. What does the archbishop want the emperor to build on the land near the battlefield?
(a) A triumphal arch.
(b) A new palace.
(c) A grand church.
(d) An edifice to the fallen soldiers.
15. What country is the setting of Scene 1 in Act III?
(b) The country is not given.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event do Faust and Mephistopheles see taking place at the end of Scene 1 of Act IV?
2. What does the chorus cry as Euphorion falls?
3. What event are the advisers of the emperor excited to plan in Scene 3 of Act IV?
4. Who is the ruler of the hiding place that Mephistopheles suggests to Helen?
5. Who tells Faust and Helen that Menelaus has arrived with his armies?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)