|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the archbishop want the emperor to build on the land near the battlefield?
(a) A new palace.
(b) A triumphal arch.
(c) A grand church.
(d) An edifice to the fallen soldiers.
2. Why does Helen promptly return to the chorus after she leaves in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) She is frightened of a creature in the palace.
(b) She has forgotten her shawl, which she needs to enter the temple.
(c) A messenger brings her word to return.
(d) She is lonely and quickly seeks company from the chorus.
3. When Faust decides to help the emperor, what does Mephistopheles turn him into?
(a) A calveryman.
(b) A general-in-chief with three aides.
(c) A skilled soldier.
(d) A savvy politician who can soothe the people.
4. What does the emperor give to the Arch-Marshal in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) A new horse.
(b) A new castle.
(c) A bride.
(d) A sword.
5. Why is the necromant of Sabine Norcia indebted to the emperor?
(a) The emperor gave him a parcel of land.
(b) The emperor has lent him a large sum of money.
(c) He is the son of the emperor.
(d) The emperor pardoned him from being burned years ago.
6. Who is not a member of Faust's entourage that is mentioned in Scene 2 of Act III?
(c) His entourage is not described.
(d) A fool.
7. Where does Faust land at the beginning of Act IV?
(a) Back in his study.
(b) In a river.
(c) In his castle in the north.
(d) On a mountain.
8. What is the name of the leader of the chorus?
9. What does Mephistopheles conjure in the battle to help the emperor in Act IV?
(b) A hurricane.
(c) A group of fighting centaurs.
(d) Sea Monsters and St. Elmo's fire.
10. What item does Havequick first want to plunder from the emperor in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) A steel-club.
(b) A large shield.
(c) The emperor's crown.
(d) A bag of coins.
11. What is Mephistopheles' final action in Act III?
(a) To weep for Helen.
(b) To sing a song in praise of Faust.
(c) To write a letter to Menelaus.
(d) To remove the mask of Phorkyas and reveal himself.
12. Who pardons Lynceus?
13. Which God, does Mephistopheles tell the creation myth of to the chorus in Act III?
14. Who supposed to seal the royal documents in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) The Chancery.
(b) The Arch-bishop.
(c) The emperor.
15. What remains of Euphorion after his fall?
(a) A small ring of flowers.
(b) A painting of his face.
(c) His clothing.
(d) His money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Faust's lookout?
2. What does the emperor give the Arch-Chamberlain in Scene 3 of Act IV?
3. What does Helen ask Faust to teach her in Scene 2 of Act III?
4. Why does Faust declare Lynceus's life forfeit?
5. What does the landscape remind Mephistopheles of in Scene 1 of Act IV?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)