|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What power does Mephistopheles first offer Faust in Scene 1 of Act IV?
(a) Power over all nations.
(b) Power over the ocean.
(c) A harem of women.
(d) All the riches of the land.
2. What does Maia steal from Zeus?
(a) His Thunderbolts.
(b) His crown.
(c) His daughter.
(d) A statue.
3. What is the setting of Scene 3 in Act IV?
(a) The mountainside.
(b) The battlefield.
(c) The castle.
(d) The emperor's tent.
4. How does the emperor respond when he sees Faust in Scene 2 of Act IV?
(a) He is fearful that Faust has come to seize the kingdom.
(b) He is overjoyed and happy.
(c) He does not recognize him.
(d) He is sad.
5. What drink does the arch-cupbearer plan to give the emperor at the celebrations?
(a) A clear Venetian glass.
(b) A robust red wine.
(c) Grape juice in a golden goblet.
(d) A simple drink of water.
6. Why does Faust declare Lynceus's life forfeit?
(a) Because he fails to notice the arrival of Helen.
(b) Because he fails to bow to Faust as he passes.
(c) Because Lynceus has stolen something from Faust.
(d) Because he attempts to kiss Helen.
7. What does the chorus cry as Euphorion falls?
(d) Woe unto Faust.
8. What is the Maia the patron god of?
(b) Thieves and rascals.
(c) Princes and Kings.
(d) Fishermen and sailors.
9. What does the emperor sign at the end of Act IV?
(a) A contract with the archbishop.
(b) A treaty with the rival emperor.
(c) A deed of the land to Faust.
(d) A proclamation declaring the festivities.
10. Who does Faust claim sent him to the emperor?
(a) He claims he was sent by a wizard.
(b) He claims he was sent by the rival emperor.
(c) He does not say who sent him.
(d) He claims he was sent by Zeus.
11. What does Maia steal from Ares?
(a) His sword.
(b) His bow.
(c) His crown.
(d) His armor.
12. How does Faust account for the formation of mountains and valleys in Act IV?
(a) He thinks they were created in one grand event.
(b) He does not know how they came to be.
(c) He thinks the mountains were created instantly, but the valleys shaped slowly over millenia.
(d) He thinks they were created gradually over time.
13. How does the chorus describe Menelaus in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) They do not mention Menelaus.
(b) As a coward.
(c) As a villan.
(d) As a hero.
14. Who pardons Lynceus?
15. What is the name of the son of Helen and Faust?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Faust decides to help the emperor, what does Mephistopheles turn him into?
2. Who does the archbishop accuse the emperor of being in league with in Scene 3 of Act IV?
3. What authority does the archbishop demand from the emperor in Scene 3 of Act IV?
4. What is Faust wearing when he first meets with the emperor in Act IV?
5. What does the archbishop want the emperor to build on the land near the battlefield?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)