|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Faust's lookout?
2. Where have Faust and Helen been staying in Scene 3 of Act III?
(a) On a ship belonging to Paris.
(b) In an elaborate palace.
(c) Some caves.
(d) In a cottage by the sea.
3. What modern luxurious city does Mephistopheles describe to Faust in Scene 1 of Act IV?
(c) New York.
4. How does the chorus describe Menelaus in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) They do not mention Menelaus.
(b) As a villan.
(c) As a coward.
(d) As a hero.
5. What does Mephistopheles conjure in the battle to help the emperor in Act IV?
(b) A hurricane.
(c) Sea Monsters and St. Elmo's fire.
(d) A group of fighting centaurs.
6. What does Maia steal from Hephaestus?
7. What help does Faust claim that the necromant is willing to offer the emperor?
(b) Additional troops.
(d) Advanced weaponry technology.
8. What is the chorus doing at the beginning of Scene 3 in Act III?
9. What does the archbishop want the emperor to build on the land near the battlefield?
(a) A grand church.
(b) An edifice to the fallen soldiers.
(c) A triumphal arch.
(d) A new palace.
10. What does the chorus cry as Euphorion falls?
(b) Woe unto Faust.
11. What follows Mephistopheles and Helen as they flee at the end of Scene 1 in Act III?
(a) Several hopeful suitors for Helen.
(b) A group of phorkyads.
(d) A dark cloud.
12. Why is the necromant of Sabine Norcia indebted to the emperor?
(a) The emperor has lent him a large sum of money.
(b) The emperor pardoned him from being burned years ago.
(c) He is the son of the emperor.
(d) The emperor gave him a parcel of land.
13. What does Helen ask Faust to teach her in Scene 2 of Act III?
(a) To play a lute.
(b) To speak in rhyme.
(c) To dance.
(d) To sing.
14. What country is the setting of Scene 1 in Act III?
(b) The country is not given.
15. What is the setting of Scene 3 in Act IV?
(a) The mountainside.
(b) The emperor's tent.
(c) The battlefield.
(d) The castle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Maia the patron god of?
2. Who is Helen married to in Scene 1 of Act III?
3. Who pardons Lynceus?
4. Who does Faust claim sent him to the emperor?
5. Who tells Faust and Helen that Menelaus has arrived with his armies?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)