|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the leader of the chorus?
2. Who does Mephistopheles disguise himself as in Act III?
(c) A phorkyad.
3. Why does Faust declare Lynceus's life forfeit?
(a) Because he fails to notice the arrival of Helen.
(b) Because he fails to bow to Faust as he passes.
(c) Because Lynceus has stolen something from Faust.
(d) Because he attempts to kiss Helen.
4. What is the setting of Scene 3 in Act IV?
(a) The emperor's tent.
(b) The castle.
(c) The mountainside.
(d) The battlefield.
5. What authority does the archbishop demand from the emperor in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) The power to knight soldiers.
(b) The power to collect taxes on his territory.
(c) The power to grant asylum to refuges.
(d) The power to release prisoners of war.
6. Who first discovers Speed-booty and Havequick trying to plunder the emperor's things?
(b) The arch-marshal.
7. As the chorus insults Mephistopheles in Act III, what is their intention?
(a) They hope to learn his name.
(b) They hope he will lose his temper.
(c) They hope to make him laugh.
(d) They hope to scare him away.
8. Who is not a member of Faust's entourage that is mentioned in Scene 2 of Act III?
(b) His entourage is not described.
(d) A fool.
9. When Mephistopheles asks Faust what he desires in Scene 1 of Act IV, how does Faust respond?
(a) Faust tells Mephistopheles to guess his desires.
(b) Faust tells Mephistopheles he desires earthly powers.
(c) Faust refuses to respond to Mephistopheles's question.
(d) Faust claims he does not desire anything.
10. How does Faust account for the formation of mountains and valleys in Act IV?
(a) He thinks they were created in one grand event.
(b) He thinks the mountains were created instantly, but the valleys shaped slowly over millenia.
(c) He thinks they were created gradually over time.
(d) He does not know how they came to be.
11. Who is not one of the aides to Faust in Act IV?
12. What does Mephistopheles conjure in the battle to help the emperor in Act IV?
(a) A hurricane.
(b) A group of fighting centaurs.
(d) Sea Monsters and St. Elmo's fire.
13. Who does Faust claim sent him to the emperor?
(a) He claims he was sent by the rival emperor.
(b) He does not say who sent him.
(c) He claims he was sent by Zeus.
(d) He claims he was sent by a wizard.
14. What does the chorus cry as Euphorion falls?
(c) Woe unto Faust.
15. What event are the advisers of the emperor excited to plan in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) A masked ball.
(b) A victory banquet.
(c) A trial for the prisoners of war.
(d) A triumphant parade.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the chorus describe Menelaus in Scene 1 of Act III?
2. What does Maia steal from Zeus?
3. Where does Mephistopheles suggest that Helen should hide at the end of Scene 1 of Act III?
4. What item does Havequick first want to plunder from the emperor in Scene 3 of Act IV?
5. What is Mephistopheles' final action in Act III?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)