|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Maia the patron god of?
(a) Fishermen and sailors.
(c) Princes and Kings.
(d) Thieves and rascals.
2. What does the emperor give the Arch-Chamberlain in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(b) A chicken.
(c) Some gold coins.
(d) A watch.
3. What does Faust embrace as he is lifted into the sky at the end of Act III?
(a) His money.
(b) Helen's garments.
(d) The leader of the chorus.
4. Who first discovers Speed-booty and Havequick trying to plunder the emperor's things?
(a) The arch-marshal.
5. Just as Faust begins to tell Mephistopheles his true desires in Scene 1 of Act IV, what does Mephistopheles do?
(a) Conjure Wagner to their location.
(b) He begins to ignore Faust and continue talking of fame.
(c) Leave the scene.
(d) Interupt him.
6. What does Maia steal from Ares?
(a) His bow.
(b) His crown.
(c) His armor.
(d) His sword.
7. What authority does the archbishop demand from the emperor in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) The power to release prisoners of war.
(b) The power to knight soldiers.
(c) The power to collect taxes on his territory.
(d) The power to grant asylum to refuges.
8. Where does Faust and Helen flee to at the end of Scene 2 in Act III?
(d) Their place of refuge is not named.
9. What power does Mephistopheles first offer Faust in Scene 1 of Act IV?
(a) Power over all nations.
(b) A harem of women.
(c) All the riches of the land.
(d) Power over the ocean.
10. Who is the ruler of the hiding place that Mephistopheles suggests to Helen?
11. What does Helen ask Faust to teach her in Scene 2 of Act III?
(a) To sing.
(b) To dance.
(c) To speak in rhyme.
(d) To play a lute.
12. When Faust decides to help the emperor, what does Mephistopheles turn him into?
(a) A calveryman.
(b) A general-in-chief with three aides.
(c) A savvy politician who can soothe the people.
(d) A skilled soldier.
13. Who is not one of the aides to Faust in Act IV?
14. What is Mephistopheles' final action in Act III?
(a) To remove the mask of Phorkyas and reveal himself.
(b) To write a letter to Menelaus.
(c) To sing a song in praise of Faust.
(d) To weep for Helen.
15. As the chorus insults Mephistopheles in Act III, what is their intention?
(a) They hope to scare him away.
(b) They hope to learn his name.
(c) They hope he will lose his temper.
(d) They hope to make him laugh.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is not a member of Faust's entourage that is mentioned in Scene 2 of Act III?
2. What is the setting of Scene 3 in Act IV?
3. When Mephistopheles asks Faust what he desires in Scene 1 of Act IV, how does Faust respond?
4. What event are the advisers of the emperor excited to plan in Scene 3 of Act IV?
5. What does Menelaus order Helen to do before he left her in Scene 1 of Act III?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)