|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the archbishop accuse the emperor of being in league with in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) The rival emperor.
(c) He makes no accusation towards the emperor.
2. When Faust decides to help the emperor, what does Mephistopheles turn him into?
(a) A calveryman.
(b) A skilled soldier.
(c) A savvy politician who can soothe the people.
(d) A general-in-chief with three aides.
3. What is the name of Faust's lookout?
4. What does the chorus cry as Euphorion falls?
(b) Woe unto Faust.
5. Why is the necromant of Sabine Norcia indebted to the emperor?
(a) The emperor gave him a parcel of land.
(b) He is the son of the emperor.
(c) The emperor has lent him a large sum of money.
(d) The emperor pardoned him from being burned years ago.
6. Just as Faust begins to tell Mephistopheles his true desires in Scene 1 of Act IV, what does Mephistopheles do?
(a) He begins to ignore Faust and continue talking of fame.
(b) Conjure Wagner to their location.
(c) Interupt him.
(d) Leave the scene.
7. When Mephistopheles asks Faust what he desires in Scene 1 of Act IV, how does Faust respond?
(a) Faust tells Mephistopheles he desires earthly powers.
(b) Faust claims he does not desire anything.
(c) Faust tells Mephistopheles to guess his desires.
(d) Faust refuses to respond to Mephistopheles's question.
8. What does Maia steal from Zeus?
(a) His crown.
(b) His daughter.
(c) A statue.
(d) His Thunderbolts.
9. What is the name of the son of Helen and Faust?
10. Where does Mephistopheles suggest that Helen should hide at the end of Scene 1 of Act III?
(b) The underworld.
(c) A castle in the North.
(d) In the temple of Zeus.
11. What does Maia steal from Poseidon?
(a) His trident.
(b) His sword.
(c) His crown.
(d) His horse.
12. What does Mephistopheles tell Helen that frightens her in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) That the servants are planning on killing her.
(b) The he is going to eat her.
(c) That she will quicly grow old and ugly.
(d) That her husband intends to sacrifice her.
13. Why does Faust declare Lynceus's life forfeit?
(a) Because he fails to bow to Faust as he passes.
(b) Because he attempts to kiss Helen.
(c) Because Lynceus has stolen something from Faust.
(d) Because he fails to notice the arrival of Helen.
14. What country is the setting of Scene 1 in Act III?
(a) The country is not given.
15. What does Maia steal from Ares?
(a) His bow.
(b) His sword.
(c) His crown.
(d) His armor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Faust land at the beginning of Act IV?
2. Where have Faust and Helen been staying in Scene 3 of Act III?
3. What item does Havequick first want to plunder from the emperor in Scene 3 of Act IV?
4. What prohibits Speed-booty and Havequick from packing away a pile of gold on their backs?
5. What does the emperor give the Arch-Chamberlain in Scene 3 of Act IV?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)