|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maia steal from Poseidon?
(a) His horse.
(b) His trident.
(c) His sword.
(d) His crown.
2. Why does Faust declare Lynceus's life forfeit?
(a) Because he attempts to kiss Helen.
(b) Because he fails to notice the arrival of Helen.
(c) Because Lynceus has stolen something from Faust.
(d) Because he fails to bow to Faust as he passes.
3. What does the emperor give the Arch-Chamberlain in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) A watch.
(c) Some gold coins.
(d) A chicken.
4. Which God, does Mephistopheles tell the creation myth of to the chorus in Act III?
5. What remains of Euphorion after his fall?
(a) A small ring of flowers.
(b) His money.
(c) His clothing.
(d) A painting of his face.
6. What is the setting of Scene 3 in Act IV?
(a) The castle.
(b) The emperor's tent.
(c) The mountainside.
(d) The battlefield.
7. What does the landscape remind Mephistopheles of in Scene 1 of Act IV?
(c) Classical Greece.
(d) His home, hell.
8. What modern luxurious city does Mephistopheles describe to Faust in Scene 1 of Act IV?
(c) New York.
9. Who is not a member of Faust's entourage that is mentioned in Scene 2 of Act III?
(b) A fool.
(d) His entourage is not described.
10. What is the chorus doing at the beginning of Scene 3 in Act III?
11. What authority does the archbishop demand from the emperor in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) The power to release prisoners of war.
(b) The power to knight soldiers.
(c) The power to grant asylum to refuges.
(d) The power to collect taxes on his territory.
12. What does the chorus ask Mephistopheles at the beginning of Scene 3 in Act III?
(a) They ask where they are.
(b) They ask his identity.
(c) They ask what has happened in their splendor.
(d) They ask what they should give Faust as a token of appreciation.
13. How does the chorus describe Menelaus in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) As a villan.
(b) They do not mention Menelaus.
(c) As a hero.
(d) As a coward.
14. Who is attempting to take the kingdom of the emperor in Act IV?
(b) A rival emperor.
15. Where does Helen go after the chorus tries to assuage her fears in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) She flees to Arcadia.
(b) She goes into Athena's temple.
(c) Into a grove of trees.
(d) Into the palace.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Helen promptly return to the chorus after she leaves in Scene 1 of Act III?
2. What item does Speed-Booty first want to plunder from the emperor in Scene 3 of Act IV?
3. What event does Mephistopheles claim caused the creation of the mountains and valleys in Act IV?
4. What realization does the archbishop make about the emperor's tactics in battle?
5. Who is the ruler of the hiding place that Mephistopheles suggests to Helen?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)