|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maia steal from Hephaestus?
2. When Faust decides to help the emperor, what does Mephistopheles turn him into?
(a) A savvy politician who can soothe the people.
(b) A general-in-chief with three aides.
(c) A skilled soldier.
(d) A calveryman.
3. Who take Euphorion's clothing?
(c) No one takes his clothing.
4. What is the name of the leader of the chorus?
5. In the beginning of Act IV, what form do the clouds take on first?
(a) The image of Mephisotpheles.
(b) The form of Zeus and Ares.
(c) The form of Leda and Helen.
(d) The form of Faust.
6. Where does Faust land at the beginning of Act IV?
(a) Back in his study.
(b) In a river.
(c) On a mountain.
(d) In his castle in the north.
7. What does Maia steal from Zeus?
(a) His daughter.
(b) His crown.
(c) A statue.
(d) His Thunderbolts.
8. What does the emperor give to the Arch-Marshal in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) A bride.
(b) A new castle.
(c) A sword.
(d) A new horse.
9. Just as Faust begins to tell Mephistopheles his true desires in Scene 1 of Act IV, what does Mephistopheles do?
(a) Conjure Wagner to their location.
(b) Interupt him.
(c) He begins to ignore Faust and continue talking of fame.
(d) Leave the scene.
10. What does Faust embrace as he is lifted into the sky at the end of Act III?
(b) Helen's garments.
(c) The leader of the chorus.
(d) His money.
11. How does Faust account for the formation of mountains and valleys in Act IV?
(a) He does not know how they came to be.
(b) He thinks they were created gradually over time.
(c) He thinks the mountains were created instantly, but the valleys shaped slowly over millenia.
(d) He thinks they were created in one grand event.
12. What power does Mephistopheles first offer Faust in Scene 1 of Act IV?
(a) All the riches of the land.
(b) A harem of women.
(c) Power over all nations.
(d) Power over the ocean.
13. What authority does the archbishop demand from the emperor in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) The power to grant asylum to refuges.
(b) The power to collect taxes on his territory.
(c) The power to knight soldiers.
(d) The power to release prisoners of war.
14. What is the chorus doing at the beginning of Scene 3 in Act III?
15. Who does Faust claim sent him to the emperor?
(a) He does not say who sent him.
(b) He claims he was sent by Zeus.
(c) He claims he was sent by a wizard.
(d) He claims he was sent by the rival emperor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mephistopheles suggest that Helen should hide at the end of Scene 1 of Act III?
2. How does the chorus describe Menelaus in Scene 1 of Act III?
3. Why does Helen promptly return to the chorus after she leaves in Scene 1 of Act III?
4. Where does Helen go after the chorus tries to assuage her fears in Scene 1 of Act III?
5. Why does Faust declare Lynceus's life forfeit?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)