|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the necromant of Sabine Norcia indebted to the emperor?
(a) The emperor pardoned him from being burned years ago.
(b) The emperor has lent him a large sum of money.
(c) The emperor gave him a parcel of land.
(d) He is the son of the emperor.
2. What is the Maia the patron god of?
(a) Fishermen and sailors.
(b) Princes and Kings.
(d) Thieves and rascals.
3. What authority does the archbishop demand from the emperor in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) The power to collect taxes on his territory.
(b) The power to release prisoners of war.
(c) The power to knight soldiers.
(d) The power to grant asylum to refuges.
4. Who supposed to seal the royal documents in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) The Arch-bishop.
(c) The Chancery.
(d) The emperor.
5. What follows Mephistopheles and Helen as they flee at the end of Scene 1 in Act III?
(b) A dark cloud.
(c) A group of phorkyads.
(d) Several hopeful suitors for Helen.
6. What does Menelaus order Helen to do before he left her in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) Bathe and robe herself.
(b) Take a vow of silence.
(c) Prepare a feast for his return.
(d) Prepare a sacrifical hearth.
7. Who is attempting to take the kingdom of the emperor in Act IV?
(a) A rival emperor.
8. Who is Helen married to in Scene 1 of Act III?
9. What does the landscape remind Mephistopheles of in Scene 1 of Act IV?
(a) His home, hell.
(b) Classical Greece.
10. What power does Mephistopheles first offer Faust in Scene 1 of Act IV?
(a) Power over all nations.
(b) Power over the ocean.
(c) A harem of women.
(d) All the riches of the land.
11. What is the name of the son of Helen and Faust?
12. As the chorus insults Mephistopheles in Act III, what is their intention?
(a) They hope to learn his name.
(b) They hope he will lose his temper.
(c) They hope to scare him away.
(d) They hope to make him laugh.
13. What does Faust embrace as he is lifted into the sky at the end of Act III?
(b) His money.
(c) Helen's garments.
(d) The leader of the chorus.
14. Why does Faust declare Lynceus's life forfeit?
(a) Because he fails to notice the arrival of Helen.
(b) Because he fails to bow to Faust as he passes.
(c) Because Lynceus has stolen something from Faust.
(d) Because he attempts to kiss Helen.
15. What does Maia steal from Hephaestus?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Faust and Helen that Menelaus has arrived with his armies?
2. What item does Havequick first want to plunder from the emperor in Scene 3 of Act IV?
3. How does the chorus describe Menelaus in Scene 1 of Act III?
4. At the end of Act IV, what is the outlook of the emperor in regards to his kingdom?
5. In Act IV, what do the clouds eventually transform into in Scene 1?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)