|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the chorus doing at the beginning of Scene 3 in Act III?
2. Who does the archbishop accuse the emperor of being in league with in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) He makes no accusation towards the emperor.
(d) The rival emperor.
3. In Act IV, what do the clouds eventually transform into in Scene 1?
(a) The form of Gretchen.
(b) The form of Euphorion.
(c) The form of a dove.
(d) They completely evaporate and are formless.
4. Why does Helen promptly return to the chorus after she leaves in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) She has forgotten her shawl, which she needs to enter the temple.
(b) She is frightened of a creature in the palace.
(c) She is lonely and quickly seeks company from the chorus.
(d) A messenger brings her word to return.
5. How does Faust account for the formation of mountains and valleys in Act IV?
(a) He thinks they were created in one grand event.
(b) He thinks the mountains were created instantly, but the valleys shaped slowly over millenia.
(c) He thinks they were created gradually over time.
(d) He does not know how they came to be.
6. What does the chorus cry as Euphorion falls?
(a) Woe unto Faust.
7. Who first discovers Speed-booty and Havequick trying to plunder the emperor's things?
(b) The arch-marshal.
8. What event do Faust and Mephistopheles see taking place at the end of Scene 1 of Act IV?
(a) They wintess a procession of women to a ritual sacrifice.
(b) The witness the rape of Leda.
(c) The witness a shooting star.
(d) They witness a battle taking place in the emporer's kingdom.
9. Who is the ruler of the hiding place that Mephistopheles suggests to Helen?
10. Why does Faust declare Lynceus's life forfeit?
(a) Because he attempts to kiss Helen.
(b) Because he fails to bow to Faust as he passes.
(c) Because he fails to notice the arrival of Helen.
(d) Because Lynceus has stolen something from Faust.
11. What does the chorus ask Mephistopheles at the beginning of Scene 3 in Act III?
(a) They ask where they are.
(b) They ask his identity.
(c) They ask what they should give Faust as a token of appreciation.
(d) They ask what has happened in their splendor.
12. What help does Faust claim that the necromant is willing to offer the emperor?
(a) Advanced weaponry technology.
(c) Additional troops.
13. What power does Mephistopheles first offer Faust in Scene 1 of Act IV?
(a) Power over the ocean.
(b) All the riches of the land.
(c) A harem of women.
(d) Power over all nations.
14. What is the name of the son of Helen and Faust?
15. Where does Faust and Helen flee to at the end of Scene 2 in Act III?
(a) Their place of refuge is not named.
Short Answer Questions
1. Just as Faust begins to tell Mephistopheles his true desires in Scene 1 of Act IV, what does Mephistopheles do?
2. What does the emperor give the Arch-Chamberlain in Scene 3 of Act IV?
3. What does Maia steal from Hephaestus?
4. What is Helen afraid of in Scene 1 of Act III?
5. What modern luxurious city does Mephistopheles describe to Faust in Scene 1 of Act IV?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)