|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the beginning of Act IV, what form do the clouds take on first?
(a) The form of Faust.
(b) The form of Leda and Helen.
(c) The form of Zeus and Ares.
(d) The image of Mephisotpheles.
2. What does Mephistopheles conjure in the battle to help the emperor in Act IV?
(a) Sea Monsters and St. Elmo's fire.
(c) A group of fighting centaurs.
(d) A hurricane.
3. What does Menelaus order Helen to do before he left her in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) Bathe and robe herself.
(b) Take a vow of silence.
(c) Prepare a feast for his return.
(d) Prepare a sacrifical hearth.
4. Who take Euphorion's clothing?
(c) No one takes his clothing.
5. Who is attempting to take the kingdom of the emperor in Act IV?
(c) A rival emperor.
6. What is Helen afraid of in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) She is afraid of being sacrificed by Menelaus.
(b) She is afraid of being attacked by disgruntled servants.
(c) She is afraid of losing her beauty.
(d) She is afraid she will never again see Paris.
7. What is the name of Faust's lookout?
8. What item does Speed-Booty first want to plunder from the emperor in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) A set of arrows.
(b) A carpet.
(c) A ring.
(d) A large platter.
9. What does the chorus cry as Euphorion falls?
(b) Woe unto Faust.
10. Where have Faust and Helen been staying in Scene 3 of Act III?
(a) In a cottage by the sea.
(b) Some caves.
(c) On a ship belonging to Paris.
(d) In an elaborate palace.
11. Who pardons Lynceus?
12. Who is not one of the aides to Faust in Act IV?
13. What event are the advisers of the emperor excited to plan in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) A trial for the prisoners of war.
(b) A victory banquet.
(c) A triumphant parade.
(d) A masked ball.
14. At the end of Act IV, what is the outlook of the emperor in regards to his kingdom?
(a) He thinks things wil go back to how they were before the war.
(b) He is hopeful it will prosper.
(c) He fears it will be conquered by another rival.
(d) He fears it will be ruined by extortion of the church.
15. How does the chorus describe Menelaus in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) As a hero.
(b) As a coward.
(c) They do not mention Menelaus.
(d) As a villan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Faust embrace as he is lifted into the sky at the end of Act III?
2. What does the emperor sign at the end of Act IV?
3. Why is the necromant of Sabine Norcia indebted to the emperor?
4. What authority does the archbishop demand from the emperor in Scene 3 of Act IV?
5. What follows Mephistopheles and Helen as they flee at the end of Scene 1 in Act III?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)