|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Helen afraid of in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) She is afraid of being attacked by disgruntled servants.
(b) She is afraid of losing her beauty.
(c) She is afraid of being sacrificed by Menelaus.
(d) She is afraid she will never again see Paris.
2. What item does Havequick first want to plunder from the emperor in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) A large shield.
(b) A bag of coins.
(c) The emperor's crown.
(d) A steel-club.
3. How does the chorus describe Menelaus in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) As a villan.
(b) They do not mention Menelaus.
(c) As a hero.
(d) As a coward.
4. Where does Faust land at the beginning of Act IV?
(a) On a mountain.
(b) In a river.
(c) In his castle in the north.
(d) Back in his study.
5. What follows Mephistopheles and Helen as they flee at the end of Scene 1 in Act III?
(a) A dark cloud.
(b) Several hopeful suitors for Helen.
(d) A group of phorkyads.
6. Who first discovers Speed-booty and Havequick trying to plunder the emperor's things?
(a) The arch-marshal.
7. What prohibits Speed-booty and Havequick from packing away a pile of gold on their backs?
(a) The weight of the gold is too much to lift.
(b) A hole in the apron they pack the gold in.
(c) They trip over some ropes and become entangled in the tent.
(d) They become weak from the fighting and have to rest.
8. Why does Helen promptly return to the chorus after she leaves in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) She is frightened of a creature in the palace.
(b) She has forgotten her shawl, which she needs to enter the temple.
(c) A messenger brings her word to return.
(d) She is lonely and quickly seeks company from the chorus.
9. What is the name of Faust's lookout?
10. What is the setting of Scene 3 in Act IV?
(a) The emperor's tent.
(b) The mountainside.
(c) The castle.
(d) The battlefield.
11. What does Mephistopheles tell Helen that frightens her in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) That she will quicly grow old and ugly.
(b) The he is going to eat her.
(c) That the servants are planning on killing her.
(d) That her husband intends to sacrifice her.
12. What modern luxurious city does Mephistopheles describe to Faust in Scene 1 of Act IV?
(c) New York.
13. Which God, does Mephistopheles tell the creation myth of to the chorus in Act III?
14. When Mephistopheles asks Faust what he desires in Scene 1 of Act IV, how does Faust respond?
(a) Faust refuses to respond to Mephistopheles's question.
(b) Faust tells Mephistopheles to guess his desires.
(c) Faust tells Mephistopheles he desires earthly powers.
(d) Faust claims he does not desire anything.
15. When Faust decides to help the emperor, what does Mephistopheles turn him into?
(a) A skilled soldier.
(b) A calveryman.
(c) A savvy politician who can soothe the people.
(d) A general-in-chief with three aides.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Faust declare Lynceus's life forfeit?
2. What is the Maia the patron god of?
3. What remains of Euphorion after his fall?
4. As the chorus insults Mephistopheles in Act III, what is their intention?
5. How does the emperor respond when he sees Faust in Scene 2 of Act IV?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)