|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Helen promptly return to the chorus after she leaves in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) She has forgotten her shawl, which she needs to enter the temple.
(b) A messenger brings her word to return.
(c) She is lonely and quickly seeks company from the chorus.
(d) She is frightened of a creature in the palace.
2. Where have Faust and Helen been staying in Scene 3 of Act III?
(a) In a cottage by the sea.
(b) On a ship belonging to Paris.
(c) In an elaborate palace.
(d) Some caves.
3. In the beginning of Act IV, what form do the clouds take on first?
(a) The form of Leda and Helen.
(b) The image of Mephisotpheles.
(c) The form of Zeus and Ares.
(d) The form of Faust.
4. When Mephistopheles asks Faust what he desires in Scene 1 of Act IV, how does Faust respond?
(a) Faust refuses to respond to Mephistopheles's question.
(b) Faust claims he does not desire anything.
(c) Faust tells Mephistopheles he desires earthly powers.
(d) Faust tells Mephistopheles to guess his desires.
5. What is the setting of Scene 3 in Act IV?
(a) The battlefield.
(b) The emperor's tent.
(c) The mountainside.
(d) The castle.
6. What is the chorus doing at the beginning of Scene 3 in Act III?
7. What realization does the archbishop make about the emperor's tactics in battle?
(a) That the emperor bribed opposing troops.
(b) He knows nothing about the emperor's tactics.
(c) That the emperor used spies in the battle.
(d) That the emperor has used magic to win the battle.
8. Who does Mephistopheles disguise himself as in Act III?
(c) A phorkyad.
9. What prohibits Speed-booty and Havequick from packing away a pile of gold on their backs?
(a) A hole in the apron they pack the gold in.
(b) They trip over some ropes and become entangled in the tent.
(c) They become weak from the fighting and have to rest.
(d) The weight of the gold is too much to lift.
10. Who does the archbishop accuse the emperor of being in league with in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) He makes no accusation towards the emperor.
(d) The rival emperor.
11. What event does Mephistopheles claim caused the creation of the mountains and valleys in Act IV?
(a) He does not know how they were created.
(b) The exile of the devil.
(c) A meteor shower.
(d) The birth of a new God.
12. What authority does the archbishop demand from the emperor in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) The power to grant asylum to refuges.
(b) The power to collect taxes on his territory.
(c) The power to knight soldiers.
(d) The power to release prisoners of war.
13. What is the Maia the patron god of?
(a) Thieves and rascals.
(b) Fishermen and sailors.
(c) Princes and Kings.
14. What does Maia steal from Ares?
(a) His sword.
(b) His bow.
(c) His armor.
(d) His crown.
15. What is Helen afraid of in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) She is afraid of being sacrificed by Menelaus.
(b) She is afraid she will never again see Paris.
(c) She is afraid of losing her beauty.
(d) She is afraid of being attacked by disgruntled servants.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the emperor give the Arch-Chamberlain in Scene 3 of Act IV?
2. What modern luxurious city does Mephistopheles describe to Faust in Scene 1 of Act IV?
3. What does the chorus cry as Euphorion falls?
4. What remains of Euphorion after his fall?
5. What does the emperor sign at the end of Act IV?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)