|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act IV, what do the clouds eventually transform into in Scene 1?
(a) The form of Gretchen.
(b) The form of Euphorion.
(c) They completely evaporate and are formless.
(d) The form of a dove.
2. What does the emperor give to the Arch-Marshal in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) A new horse.
(b) A new castle.
(c) A bride.
(d) A sword.
3. What is the Maia the patron god of?
(a) Thieves and rascals.
(b) Fishermen and sailors.
(c) Princes and Kings.
4. Who is Helen married to in Scene 1 of Act III?
5. What does Faust embrace as he is lifted into the sky at the end of Act III?
(b) His money.
(c) The leader of the chorus.
(d) Helen's garments.
6. Where does Faust and Helen flee to at the end of Scene 2 in Act III?
(b) Their place of refuge is not named.
7. Who is attempting to take the kingdom of the emperor in Act IV?
(b) A rival emperor.
8. What remains of Euphorion after his fall?
(a) His money.
(b) A small ring of flowers.
(c) A painting of his face.
(d) His clothing.
9. Where have Faust and Helen been staying in Scene 3 of Act III?
(a) In a cottage by the sea.
(b) Some caves.
(c) In an elaborate palace.
(d) On a ship belonging to Paris.
10. What does the landscape remind Mephistopheles of in Scene 1 of Act IV?
(b) Classical Greece.
(d) His home, hell.
11. What prohibits Speed-booty and Havequick from packing away a pile of gold on their backs?
(a) The weight of the gold is too much to lift.
(b) A hole in the apron they pack the gold in.
(c) They trip over some ropes and become entangled in the tent.
(d) They become weak from the fighting and have to rest.
12. Who tells Faust and Helen that Menelaus has arrived with his armies?
(b) No one tells Faust, he sees his approach.
13. What power does Mephistopheles first offer Faust in Scene 1 of Act IV?
(a) A harem of women.
(b) Power over the ocean.
(c) Power over all nations.
(d) All the riches of the land.
14. What does the archbishop want the emperor to build on the land near the battlefield?
(a) A grand church.
(b) A triumphal arch.
(c) A new palace.
(d) An edifice to the fallen soldiers.
15. What modern luxurious city does Mephistopheles describe to Faust in Scene 1 of Act IV?
(d) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mephistopheles disguise himself as in Act III?
2. What does Menelaus order Helen to do before he left her in Scene 1 of Act III?
3. Why is the necromant of Sabine Norcia indebted to the emperor?
4. When Mephistopheles asks Faust what he desires in Scene 1 of Act IV, how does Faust respond?
5. What does the chorus ask Mephistopheles at the beginning of Scene 3 in Act III?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)