|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Faust decides to help the emperor, what does Mephistopheles turn him into?
(a) A general-in-chief with three aides.
(b) A calveryman.
(c) A savvy politician who can soothe the people.
(d) A skilled soldier.
2. What is the name of the son of Helen and Faust?
3. What modern luxurious city does Mephistopheles describe to Faust in Scene 1 of Act IV?
(b) New York.
4. What remains of Euphorion after his fall?
(a) A painting of his face.
(b) His clothing.
(c) His money.
(d) A small ring of flowers.
5. What does the chorus ask Mephistopheles at the beginning of Scene 3 in Act III?
(a) They ask what has happened in their splendor.
(b) They ask what they should give Faust as a token of appreciation.
(c) They ask his identity.
(d) They ask where they are.
6. How does the emperor respond when he sees Faust in Scene 2 of Act IV?
(a) He does not recognize him.
(b) He is fearful that Faust has come to seize the kingdom.
(c) He is sad.
(d) He is overjoyed and happy.
7. Where does Mephistopheles suggest that Helen should hide at the end of Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) The underworld.
(b) In the temple of Zeus.
(d) A castle in the North.
8. Just as Faust begins to tell Mephistopheles his true desires in Scene 1 of Act IV, what does Mephistopheles do?
(a) He begins to ignore Faust and continue talking of fame.
(b) Leave the scene.
(c) Interupt him.
(d) Conjure Wagner to their location.
9. What does the landscape remind Mephistopheles of in Scene 1 of Act IV?
(b) His home, hell.
(d) Classical Greece.
10. As the chorus insults Mephistopheles in Act III, what is their intention?
(a) They hope he will lose his temper.
(b) They hope to scare him away.
(c) They hope to make him laugh.
(d) They hope to learn his name.
11. Who is not one of the aides to Faust in Act IV?
12. How does Faust account for the formation of mountains and valleys in Act IV?
(a) He thinks they were created in one grand event.
(b) He thinks the mountains were created instantly, but the valleys shaped slowly over millenia.
(c) He does not know how they came to be.
(d) He thinks they were created gradually over time.
13. Who is Helen married to in Scene 1 of Act III?
14. What does Helen ask Faust to teach her in Scene 2 of Act III?
(a) To play a lute.
(b) To dance.
(c) To speak in rhyme.
(d) To sing.
15. Who is attempting to take the kingdom of the emperor in Act IV?
(d) A rival emperor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Faust land at the beginning of Act IV?
2. Where have Faust and Helen been staying in Scene 3 of Act III?
3. What does the archbishop want the emperor to build on the land near the battlefield?
4. What does Maia steal from Zeus?
5. Who does Mephistopheles disguise himself as in Act III?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)