|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of creature is Chiron?
(a) A demi-god.
(b) A centaur.
(c) A faun.
(d) A nymph.
2. What must Faust descend through to read the location given by the prophetess in Act II?
(a) The home of Hades.
(b) The Temple of Apollo.
(c) The Garden of Eden.
(d) The Temple of Demetrius.
3. Who is the god of wealth that Faust dresses as in Scene 3 of Act I?
4. What is the name of the shape-shifting god of forms, who homunculus is advised to seek out in the end of Scene 3 in Act II?
5. Which mythical group suggests that Faust seek out Chiron?
(a) The sphinxes.
(b) The fates.
(c) The ogres.
(d) The sirens.
6. Which is not a name of the graces mentioned in Scene 3 of Act I?
7. What is the state of Faust at the end of Act I?
(a) He is asleep.
(b) He has vanished with Paris and Helen.
(c) He is content and happily visiting with Mephistopheles.
(d) He is unconscious.
8. Why has the emperor requested Faust to conjure Helen and Paris?
(a) He hopes to woo Helen.
(b) He hopes to have Paris lead his army.
(c) He seeks amusement and wants to see their beauty.
(d) Mephistopheles suggested it to him.
9. According to Mephistopheles, what must one possess to receive miracles?
(b) Good Luck.
(c) Divine blessing.
10. What form does the homunculus decide to take at the end of Act II?
(d) He decides to not take a form, but remain shapeless.
11. According to Faust's dream, who is the mother of Helen?
12. What are the female vampires called who Mephistopheles meets in Act II?
13. Who is specifically told to remain behind in his study rather than travel with the homunculus to Walpurgis Night?
14. Who is the first mind that is read by the homunculus?
15. What event prompts Anaxagoras to believe he won the philosophical debate in Scene 3 of Act II?
(a) The lunar eclipse that takes place.
(b) The fall of a meteor, which disrupts the landscape.
(c) The arrival of a flock of birds.
(d) The appearance of volcano.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which group of people does Baccalaureus feel should be shot?
2. Why does Faust try to dispel Paris in Scene 7 of Act I?
3. What news does the marshal bring the emperor in the beginning of Scene 4 of Act I?
4. Where does Mephistopheles place Faust at the beginning of Act II?
5. How has Mephistopheles paid people in the empire in Act I?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)