|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What science is Wagner practicing in the laboratory when Mephistopheles comes upon him in Scene 2 of Act II?
(b) Molecular Biology.
2. According to the astrologer in Scene 2, what is the fairest star?
3. What does Wagner believe the sound of the bell accompanying Mephistopheles in Act II signals?
(a) A warning of an approaching evil.
(b) Good things to come.
(c) The end of the day.
(d) The birth of an idea.
4. How does the homunculus appear in the beginning of Scene 3 of Act II?
(a) As water.
(b) As a slightly darkened cloud.
(c) As the reflection on a mirror.
(d) As a light in a bottle.
5. What is the name of the daughter of Nereus, who is expected to return to the sea in Act II?
6. What shape does Proteus take to transport the homunculus into the ocean on his back?
(a) A whale.
(b) A sea horse.
(c) A bird.
(d) A dolphin.
7. What is the opinion of the women of the court of Helen?
(a) They adore her.
(b) They try to emulate her.
(c) They are jealous of her.
(d) They are indifferent to her.
8. Which figure guides the living Colossus in Scene 3 of Act I?
9. Why has the emperor requested Faust to conjure Helen and Paris?
(a) He seeks amusement and wants to see their beauty.
(b) Mephistopheles suggested it to him.
(c) He hopes to have Paris lead his army.
(d) He hopes to woo Helen.
10. What is the setting of Scene 4 in Act I?
(a) The city center and site of the Carnvial celebration.
(b) The pleasure gardens of the imperial court.
(c) The cathedral.
(d) The countryside.
11. Who is the queen of the dead as featured in Act II?
12. What holiday is the court preparing to celebrate in Act I?
(b) Winter Solstice.
(c) May Day.
(d) Day of the Kings.
13. What instrument accompanies the gardeners in Scene 3 of Act I?
14. What is the opinion of the men of court of Helen?
(a) They dislike her.
(b) They find her very beautiful.
(c) They are indifferent to her.
(d) They can't see her.
15. Who responds to Mephistopheles ringing the bell in Act II?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes the fool for the emperor in Scene 2 of Act I?
2. What news does the marshal bring the emperor in the beginning of Scene 4 of Act I?
3. Why is Wagner successful in creating the homunculus in Scene II of Act II?
4. What reason does the homunculus tell Mephistopheles, to encourage him to take Faust to the classical Walpurgis Night?
5. What is the name of the prophetess that Chiron takes Faust to in Act II?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)