Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What shape does Proteus take to transport the homunculus into the ocean on his back?
(a) A dolphin.
(b) A sea horse.
(c) A whale.
(d) A bird.
2. Who gives the prologue to Scene 3 in Act II?
(a) The homonculus.
3. What does Faust distribute to the crowd in Scene 3 of Act I?
(a) Magical money that transforms when it is touched.
(b) Beautiful jewelry that is bewitched to change colors.
(c) Food and wine.
(d) Anvils and hammers to do work.
4. Who must Faust go to, in order to conjure Helen and Paris?
(a) The Graces.
(b) The Fates.
(c) The Mothers.
5. According to Faust's dream, who is the father of Helen?
6. What token does Mephistopheles give Lady to help her regain the affection of her lover in Scene 6 of Act I?
(a) A flower.
(b) A stone.
(c) A coal.
(d) A feather.
7. Who was an earlier student of Faust that now works as his assistant?
8. What is the state of Faust at the end of Act I?
(a) He has vanished with Paris and Helen.
(b) He is asleep.
(c) He is content and happily visiting with Mephistopheles.
(d) He is unconscious.
9. Where does Faust meet Mephistopheles in Scene 5 of Act I?
(a) In the busy grand dining hall.
(b) A dark corridor in the palace.
(c) In a meadow.
(d) By the fountains in the gardens of the emperor.
10. According to Faust's dream, who is the mother of Helen?
11. Which mythical group suggests that Faust seek out Chiron?
(a) The fates.
(b) The ogres.
(c) The sphinxes.
(d) The sirens.
12. What form does the homunculus decide to take at the end of Act II?
(a) He decides to not take a form, but remain shapeless.
13. Who is the god of wealth that Faust dresses as in Scene 3 of Act I?
14. What holiday is the court preparing to celebrate in Act I?
(b) May Day.
(c) Day of the Kings.
(d) Winter Solstice.
15. What reason does the homunculus tell Mephistopheles, to encourage him to take Faust to the classical Walpurgis Night?
(a) Otherwise Faust will die.
(b) He does not give a reason, but simply demands they go.
(c) The homunculus believes it will be amusing.
(d) It is the only way for Mephistopheles to understand Faust.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the queen of the dead as featured in Act II?
2. What does Wagner believe the sound of the bell accompanying Mephistopheles in Act II signals?
3. What happens when the emperor attempts to examine the treasure chest Faust has brought him in Scene 3 of Act I?
4. What ancient mythological figure does the Astrologer compare Faust with in Scene 7 of Act I?
5. Who has replaced Faust in his position at the University in Act II?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)