|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Faust's dream, who is the father of Helen?
2. Who tells the emperor they are out of wine in Scene 2 of Act I?
(b) The Steward.
(c) The Chancellor.
(d) The Field Marshal.
3. What must Faust descend through to read the location given by the prophetess in Act II?
(a) The home of Hades.
(b) The Garden of Eden.
(c) The Temple of Demetrius.
(d) The Temple of Apollo.
4. Where does the prophetess instruct Faust to look for Helen in Act iI?
(a) Mount Olympus.
(b) The river Thebes.
(c) The Agean Sea.
(d) The underworld.
5. Which famous figure did Chiron tutor?
6. In what setting does Faust seek sleep in Act I?
(a) A pleasing landscape.
(b) In a quiet cottage.
(c) At the imperial court.
(d) At home in his study.
7. Who is the first mind that is read by the homunculus?
8. What does Mephistopheles give Faust to help him on his journey to conjure Helen and Paris?
(a) A magical key.
(b) A password.
(c) A map of the underworld.
(d) A dark cloak.
9. What ailment of the Brunette does Mephistopheles cure in Scene 6 of Act I?
(a) A headache.
(b) A cramped hand.
(c) A sick stomach.
(d) A frozen foot.
10. Which mythical group suggests that Faust seek out Chiron?
(a) The ogres.
(b) The fates.
(c) The sphinxes.
(d) The sirens.
11. Who must Faust go to, in order to conjure Helen and Paris?
(a) The Graces.
(b) The Mothers.
(d) The Fates.
12. What is the setting of Scene 7 in Act I?
(a) A brightly lighted room.
(b) A dimly illuminated Baronial Hall.
(c) A beautiful pleasure garden.
(d) The setting is not disclosed.
13. What is the opinion of the women of the court of Helen?
(a) They are indifferent to her.
(b) They are jealous of her.
(c) They adore her.
(d) They try to emulate her.
14. What is the setting of Scene 3 in Act II?
(a) The plains of Pharsalus.
(b) The temple of Athena.
(c) The main square of Athens.
(d) The setting is not given.
15. Who is the god of wealth that Faust dresses as in Scene 3 of Act I?
Short Answer Questions
1. What form does the homunculus decide to take at the end of Act II?
2. What holiday is the court preparing to celebrate in Act I?
3. What does Mephistopheles introduce himself as to the Sphinxes and sirens?
4. What reason does the homunculus tell Mephistopheles, to encourage him to take Faust to the classical Walpurgis Night?
5. Who sings a song of rejuvenation to Faust?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)