|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives the prologue to Scene 3 in Act II?
(c) The homonculus.
2. Who becomes the fool for the emperor in Scene 2 of Act I?
(a) The chancellor.
3. Why has the emperor requested Faust to conjure Helen and Paris?
(a) He hopes to have Paris lead his army.
(b) He seeks amusement and wants to see their beauty.
(c) He hopes to woo Helen.
(d) Mephistopheles suggested it to him.
4. According to Faust's dream, who is the mother of Helen?
5. What is the name of the daughter of Nereus, who is expected to return to the sea in Act II?
6. What news does the marshal bring the emperor in the beginning of Scene 4 of Act I?
(a) He tells the emperor that the people are rioting.
(b) He tells the emperor a civil war has broken out.
(c) He tells the emperor that all of his debts have been paid in full.
(d) He tells the emperor that the people have built a statue for him.
7. Which group of people does Baccalaureus feel should be shot?
(a) All professors.
(b) Inexperienced youth.
(c) Single females.
(d) Men over thirty.
8. Who tells the emperor they are out of wine in Scene 2 of Act I?
(a) The Field Marshal.
(b) The Chancellor.
(d) The Steward.
9. What must Faust descend through to read the location given by the prophetess in Act II?
(a) The Temple of Apollo.
(b) The Garden of Eden.
(c) The Temple of Demetrius.
(d) The home of Hades.
10. What are the names of the two philosophers that the homunculus comes upon in Scene 3 of Act II?
(a) Anaxagoras and Xenophanes.
(b) Socrates and Plato.
(c) Heraclitus and Thales.
(d) Anaxagoras and Thales.
11. Why is Faust desirous to leave the group when the first arrive at Walpurgis Night in Act II?
(a) He wants to seek out Achilles.
(b) He is upset at Mephistopholes.
(c) The homunculus suggests that he goes off on his own.
(d) He is obsessed with finding Helen.
12. What shape does Proteus take to transport the homunculus into the ocean on his back?
(a) A sea horse.
(b) A whale.
(c) A bird.
(d) A dolphin.
13. What instrument accompanies the gardeners in Scene 3 of Act I?
14. What is the job of Nereus?
(a) He is the protector of ships.
(b) He is the servant of Neptune.
(c) He is the guardian of the sea.
(d) His job is not given in the novel.
15. When Faust awakens in Act I, what are his impressions of his surroundings?
(a) He barely notices his surroundings.
(b) He finds the landscape to be paradise.
(c) He finds the area just the way he remembers it, unchanging.
(d) He finds everything dark and dreary.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first mind that is read by the homunculus?
2. What is the setting of Scene 3 in Act II?
3. Which mythical group suggests that Faust seek out Chiron?
4. What ancient mythological figure does the Astrologer compare Faust with in Scene 7 of Act I?
5. What is the setting in the beginning of Act II?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)