|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mephistopheles, what must one possess to receive miracles?
(b) Good Luck.
(c) Divine blessing.
2. What is the eldest of the fates?
3. What is the state of Faust at the end of Act I?
(a) He is unconscious.
(b) He is content and happily visiting with Mephistopheles.
(c) He is asleep.
(d) He has vanished with Paris and Helen.
4. What ancient mythological figure does the Astrologer compare Faust with in Scene 7 of Act I?
5. What is the name of the daughter of Nereus, who is expected to return to the sea in Act II?
6. What is the setting of Scene 4 in Act I?
(a) The pleasure gardens of the imperial court.
(b) The city center and site of the Carnvial celebration.
(c) The cathedral.
(d) The countryside.
7. Who responds to Mephistopheles ringing the bell in Act II?
8. Who is specifically told to remain behind in his study rather than travel with the homunculus to Walpurgis Night?
9. Which despicable and noxious creatures does Mephistopheles eventually find as the true embodiment of ugliness in Act II?
10. What happens when the emperor attempts to examine the treasure chest Faust has brought him in Scene 3 of Act I?
(a) His beard catches fire.
(b) He goes momentarily blind.
(c) He falls asleep.
(d) He is attacked by a group of beggars.
11. What is the name of the prophetess that Chiron takes Faust to in Act II?
12. Why has the emperor requested Faust to conjure Helen and Paris?
(a) He hopes to have Paris lead his army.
(b) Mephistopheles suggested it to him.
(c) He seeks amusement and wants to see their beauty.
(d) He hopes to woo Helen.
13. What are the female vampires called who Mephistopheles meets in Act II?
14. What is the name of the shape-shifting god of forms, who homunculus is advised to seek out in the end of Scene 3 in Act II?
15. Who has replaced Faust in his position at the University in Act II?
(b) The position has not been filled.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what setting does Faust seek sleep in Act I?
2. Which figure guides the living Colossus in Scene 3 of Act I?
3. Why does Faust try to dispel Paris in Scene 7 of Act I?
4. What is the setting of Scene 7 in Act I?
5. What token does Mephistopheles give Lady to help her regain the affection of her lover in Scene 6 of Act I?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)