|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Faust desirous to leave the group when the first arrive at Walpurgis Night in Act II?
(a) He wants to seek out Achilles.
(b) He is upset at Mephistopholes.
(c) The homunculus suggests that he goes off on his own.
(d) He is obsessed with finding Helen.
2. What is the opinion of the women of the court of Helen?
(a) They adore her.
(b) They are jealous of her.
(c) They are indifferent to her.
(d) They try to emulate her.
3. What holiday is the court preparing to celebrate in Act I?
(a) Winter Solstice.
(b) May Day.
(d) Day of the Kings.
4. What ailment of the Brunette does Mephistopheles cure in Scene 6 of Act I?
(a) A frozen foot.
(b) A headache.
(c) A sick stomach.
(d) A cramped hand.
5. Who is the queen of the dead as featured in Act II?
6. In what setting does Faust seek sleep in Act I?
(a) A pleasing landscape.
(b) At home in his study.
(c) In a quiet cottage.
(d) At the imperial court.
7. According to Faust's dream, who is the father of Helen?
8. Why is Wagner successful in creating the homunculus in Scene II of Act II?
(a) He uses a new procedure.
(b) He has several students assisting him.
(c) He is aided by Mephistopheles.
(d) He is not successful in creating the homunculus.
9. What event prompts Anaxagoras to believe he won the philosophical debate in Scene 3 of Act II?
(a) The lunar eclipse that takes place.
(b) The fall of a meteor, which disrupts the landscape.
(c) The arrival of a flock of birds.
(d) The appearance of volcano.
10. Which mythical group suggests that Faust seek out Chiron?
(a) The sphinxes.
(b) The fates.
(c) The ogres.
(d) The sirens.
11. Who gives the prologue to Scene 3 in Act II?
(b) The homonculus.
12. Who does the Emperor ask to see in the beginning of Scene 2 of Act I?
(a) The treasurer.
(b) His wiseman.
(c) The fool.
(d) The chancellor.
13. What does Faust distribute to the crowd in Scene 3 of Act I?
(a) Food and wine.
(b) Anvils and hammers to do work.
(c) Beautiful jewelry that is bewitched to change colors.
(d) Magical money that transforms when it is touched.
14. What is the name of the shape-shifting god of forms, who homunculus is advised to seek out in the end of Scene 3 in Act II?
15. What is the setting of Scene 7 in Act I?
(a) A brightly lighted room.
(b) A beautiful pleasure garden.
(c) The setting is not disclosed.
(d) A dimly illuminated Baronial Hall.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has replaced Faust in his position at the University in Act II?
2. What form does the homunculus decide to take at the end of Act II?
3. Who is the god of wealth that Faust dresses as in Scene 3 of Act I?
4. What is the setting of Scene 3 in Act II?
5. Who becomes the fool for the emperor in Scene 2 of Act I?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)