|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Mephistopheles place Faust at the beginning of Act II?
(a) Under the desk.
(b) In his scholarly robes on his bed.
(c) Outside under a tree.
(d) Behind a curtain.
2. Which famous figure did Chiron tutor?
3. What does Faust distribute to the crowd in Scene 3 of Act I?
(a) Beautiful jewelry that is bewitched to change colors.
(b) Magical money that transforms when it is touched.
(c) Food and wine.
(d) Anvils and hammers to do work.
4. What is the opinion of the women of the court of Paris?
(a) They find him beautiful.
(b) They are jealous of him.
(c) They dislike him.
(d) They are indifferent to him.
5. What token does Mephistopheles give Lady to help her regain the affection of her lover in Scene 6 of Act I?
(a) A coal.
(b) A stone.
(c) A flower.
(d) A feather.
6. What science is Wagner practicing in the laboratory when Mephistopheles comes upon him in Scene 2 of Act II?
(d) Molecular Biology.
7. What is the job of Nereus?
(a) His job is not given in the novel.
(b) He is the servant of Neptune.
(c) He is the protector of ships.
(d) He is the guardian of the sea.
8. Which group of people does Baccalaureus feel should be shot?
(a) Single females.
(b) All professors.
(c) Men over thirty.
(d) Inexperienced youth.
9. Why is Wagner successful in creating the homunculus in Scene II of Act II?
(a) He uses a new procedure.
(b) He has several students assisting him.
(c) He is aided by Mephistopheles.
(d) He is not successful in creating the homunculus.
10. What instrument accompanies the garden girls in Scene 3 of Act I?
11. What is the setting of Scene 3 in Act II?
(a) The temple of Athena.
(b) The setting is not given.
(c) The plains of Pharsalus.
(d) The main square of Athens.
12. According to Faust's dream, who is the mother of Helen?
13. What does Phoebe's wheels symbolize in Act I, Scene 1?
(a) A thunder storm.
(b) The rising moon.
(c) The setting sun.
(d) The approach of dawn.
14. How does the homunculus appear in the beginning of Scene 3 of Act II?
(a) As a light in a bottle.
(b) As a slightly darkened cloud.
(c) As the reflection on a mirror.
(d) As water.
15. What are the names of the two philosophers that the homunculus comes upon in Scene 3 of Act II?
(a) Anaxagoras and Thales.
(b) Socrates and Plato.
(c) Heraclitus and Thales.
(d) Anaxagoras and Xenophanes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Faust desirous to leave the group when the first arrive at Walpurgis Night in Act II?
2. Who becomes the fool for the emperor in Scene 2 of Act I?
3. In what setting does Faust seek sleep in Act I?
4. Who gives the prologue to Scene 3 in Act II?
5. Who responds to Mephistopheles ringing the bell in Act II?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)