|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Faust try to dispel Paris in Scene 7 of Act I?
(a) He's trying to protect Paris from the men at court.
(b) Mephistopheles instructs him to.
(c) He wants Helen for himself.
(d) He is bored with Paris.
2. Which despicable and noxious creatures does Mephistopheles eventually find as the true embodiment of ugliness in Act II?
3. Who is the god of wealth that Faust dresses as in Scene 3 of Act I?
4. Which group of people does Baccalaureus feel should be shot?
(a) Men over thirty.
(b) All professors.
(c) Inexperienced youth.
(d) Single females.
5. What is the setting in the beginning of Act II?
(a) Ancient Greece.
(b) The imperial court.
(c) Faust's study.
(d) A pleasing countryside.
6. What does Wagner believe the sound of the bell accompanying Mephistopheles in Act II signals?
(a) Good things to come.
(b) The end of the day.
(c) The birth of an idea.
(d) A warning of an approaching evil.
7. Who is the queen of the dead as featured in Act II?
8. What news does the marshal bring the emperor in the beginning of Scene 4 of Act I?
(a) He tells the emperor a civil war has broken out.
(b) He tells the emperor that the people are rioting.
(c) He tells the emperor that the people have built a statue for him.
(d) He tells the emperor that all of his debts have been paid in full.
9. What must Faust descend through to read the location given by the prophetess in Act II?
(a) The Garden of Eden.
(b) The home of Hades.
(c) The Temple of Demetrius.
(d) The Temple of Apollo.
10. What is the opinion of the women of the court of Helen?
(a) They are indifferent to her.
(b) They are jealous of her.
(c) They adore her.
(d) They try to emulate her.
11. What is the setting of Scene 4 in Act I?
(a) The cathedral.
(b) The countryside.
(c) The pleasure gardens of the imperial court.
(d) The city center and site of the Carnvial celebration.
12. What ancient mythological figure does the Astrologer compare Faust with in Scene 7 of Act I?
13. What type of creature is Chiron?
(a) A demi-god.
(b) A nymph.
(c) A faun.
(d) A centaur.
14. What token does Mephistopheles give Lady to help her regain the affection of her lover in Scene 6 of Act I?
(a) A stone.
(b) A feather.
(c) A flower.
(d) A coal.
15. What does Mephistopheles introduce himself as to the Sphinxes and sirens?
(a) The Ultimate Riddle.
(b) The Lost Seeker.
(d) The Old Iniquity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mephistopheles place Faust at the beginning of Act II?
2. What does Phoebe's wheels symbolize in Act I, Scene 1?
3. What is the state of Faust at the end of Act I?
4. What are the names of the two philosophers that the homunculus comes upon in Scene 3 of Act II?
5. What does Mephistopheles cure the blonde woman of in Scene 6 of Act I?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)