|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles introduce himself as to the Sphinxes and sirens?
(a) The Old Iniquity.
(b) The Ultimate Riddle.
(c) The Lost Seeker.
2. What are the female vampires called who Mephistopheles meets in Act II?
3. What must Faust descend through to read the location given by the prophetess in Act II?
(a) The Temple of Apollo.
(b) The Garden of Eden.
(c) The home of Hades.
(d) The Temple of Demetrius.
4. What is the name of the prophetess that Chiron takes Faust to in Act II?
5. According to Faust's dream, who is the mother of Helen?
6. When Faust awakens in Act I, what are his impressions of his surroundings?
(a) He finds the landscape to be paradise.
(b) He finds everything dark and dreary.
(c) He finds the area just the way he remembers it, unchanging.
(d) He barely notices his surroundings.
7. What is the state of Faust at the end of Act I?
(a) He is content and happily visiting with Mephistopheles.
(b) He has vanished with Paris and Helen.
(c) He is unconscious.
(d) He is asleep.
8. What instrument accompanies the gardeners in Scene 3 of Act I?
9. What are the names of the two philosophers that the homunculus comes upon in Scene 3 of Act II?
(a) Heraclitus and Thales.
(b) Anaxagoras and Xenophanes.
(c) Anaxagoras and Thales.
(d) Socrates and Plato.
10. What is the setting of Scene 4 in Act I?
(a) The cathedral.
(b) The city center and site of the Carnvial celebration.
(c) The pleasure gardens of the imperial court.
(d) The countryside.
11. What is the setting of Scene 7 in Act I?
(a) A dimly illuminated Baronial Hall.
(b) A beautiful pleasure garden.
(c) A brightly lighted room.
(d) The setting is not disclosed.
12. What instrument accompanies the garden girls in Scene 3 of Act I?
13. What type of creature is Chiron?
(a) A faun.
(b) A nymph.
(c) A demi-god.
(d) A centaur.
14. What is the name of the shape-shifting god of forms, who homunculus is advised to seek out in the end of Scene 3 in Act II?
15. Who responds to Mephistopheles ringing the bell in Act II?
Short Answer Questions
1. What shape does Proteus take to transport the homunculus into the ocean on his back?
2. How does the group travel with the homunculus to Walpurgis Night in Scene 2 of Act II?
3. Who must Faust go to, in order to conjure Helen and Paris?
4. Who is the god of wealth that Faust dresses as in Scene 3 of Act I?
5. How does the homunculus appear in the beginning of Scene 3 of Act II?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)