|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has replaced Faust in his position at the University in Act II?
(c) The position has not been filled.
2. What shape does Proteus take to transport the homunculus into the ocean on his back?
(a) A whale.
(b) A sea horse.
(c) A bird.
(d) A dolphin.
3. Who sings a song of rejuvenation to Faust?
(b) Fairies of the field.
(c) The flowers.
4. What is the setting of Scene 7 in Act I?
(a) A beautiful pleasure garden.
(b) A dimly illuminated Baronial Hall.
(c) The setting is not disclosed.
(d) A brightly lighted room.
5. What are the names of the two philosophers that the homunculus comes upon in Scene 3 of Act II?
(a) Anaxagoras and Thales.
(b) Socrates and Plato.
(c) Anaxagoras and Xenophanes.
(d) Heraclitus and Thales.
6. What science is Wagner practicing in the laboratory when Mephistopheles comes upon him in Scene 2 of Act II?
(b) Molecular Biology.
7. Which is not a name of the graces mentioned in Scene 3 of Act I?
8. In what setting does Faust seek sleep in Act I?
(a) At the imperial court.
(b) At home in his study.
(c) In a quiet cottage.
(d) A pleasing landscape.
9. What happens when the emperor attempts to examine the treasure chest Faust has brought him in Scene 3 of Act I?
(a) He goes momentarily blind.
(b) He falls asleep.
(c) He is attacked by a group of beggars.
(d) His beard catches fire.
10. What is the name of the daughter of Nereus, who is expected to return to the sea in Act II?
11. What is the setting in the beginning of Act II?
(a) A pleasing countryside.
(b) Ancient Greece.
(c) The imperial court.
(d) Faust's study.
12. Who responds to Mephistopheles ringing the bell in Act II?
13. What token does Mephistopheles give Lady to help her regain the affection of her lover in Scene 6 of Act I?
(a) A flower.
(b) A stone.
(c) A coal.
(d) A feather.
14. What does Faust distribute to the crowd in Scene 3 of Act I?
(a) Food and wine.
(b) Anvils and hammers to do work.
(c) Beautiful jewelry that is bewitched to change colors.
(d) Magical money that transforms when it is touched.
15. What ancient mythological figure does the Astrologer compare Faust with in Scene 7 of Act I?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Faust awakens in Act I, what are his impressions of his surroundings?
2. Who must Faust go to, in order to conjure Helen and Paris?
3. According to Mephistopheles, what must one possess to receive miracles?
4. Who does the Emperor ask to see in the beginning of Scene 2 of Act I?
5. Where does Faust meet Mephistopheles in Scene 5 of Act I?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)