|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting of Scene 7 in Act I?
(a) A beautiful pleasure garden.
(b) The setting is not disclosed.
(c) A dimly illuminated Baronial Hall.
(d) A brightly lighted room.
2. What is the name of the daughter of Nereus, who is expected to return to the sea in Act II?
3. Who has replaced Faust in his position at the University in Act II?
(d) The position has not been filled.
4. What news does the marshal bring the emperor in the beginning of Scene 4 of Act I?
(a) He tells the emperor that the people have built a statue for him.
(b) He tells the emperor that the people are rioting.
(c) He tells the emperor a civil war has broken out.
(d) He tells the emperor that all of his debts have been paid in full.
5. What holiday is the court preparing to celebrate in Act I?
(a) May Day.
(b) Winter Solstice.
(d) Day of the Kings.
6. What are the female vampires called who Mephistopheles meets in Act II?
7. What ancient mythological figure does the Astrologer compare Faust with in Scene 7 of Act I?
8. What type of creature is Chiron?
(a) A nymph.
(b) A faun.
(c) A centaur.
(d) A demi-god.
9. What does Mephistopheles cure the blonde woman of in Scene 6 of Act I?
10. What does Faust distribute to the crowd in Scene 3 of Act I?
(a) Food and wine.
(b) Magical money that transforms when it is touched.
(c) Anvils and hammers to do work.
(d) Beautiful jewelry that is bewitched to change colors.
11. How does the group travel with the homunculus to Walpurgis Night in Scene 2 of Act II?
(a) They travel through time and space to classical Greece.
(b) They all take sleeping draughts and travel in their dreams together.
(c) They physcially walk to Walpurgis Night.
(d) They appeal to the Mothers to make their journey.
12. Who is specifically told to remain behind in his study rather than travel with the homunculus to Walpurgis Night?
13. How does the homunculus appear in the beginning of Scene 3 of Act II?
(a) As a slightly darkened cloud.
(b) As water.
(c) As the reflection on a mirror.
(d) As a light in a bottle.
14. What ailment of the Brunette does Mephistopheles cure in Scene 6 of Act I?
(a) A sick stomach.
(b) A headache.
(c) A frozen foot.
(d) A cramped hand.
15. What is the state of Faust at the end of Act I?
(a) He has vanished with Paris and Helen.
(b) He is content and happily visiting with Mephistopheles.
(c) He is asleep.
(d) He is unconscious.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Faust's dream, who is the mother of Helen?
2. What shape does Proteus take to transport the homunculus into the ocean on his back?
3. What token does Mephistopheles give Lady to help her regain the affection of her lover in Scene 6 of Act I?
4. What is the opinion of the women of the court of Paris?
5. Who is the god of wealth that Faust dresses as in Scene 3 of Act I?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)