|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting of Scene 4 in Act I?
(a) The cathedral.
(b) The countryside.
(c) The pleasure gardens of the imperial court.
(d) The city center and site of the Carnvial celebration.
2. What instrument accompanies the gardeners in Scene 3 of Act I?
3. What token does Mephistopheles give Lady to help her regain the affection of her lover in Scene 6 of Act I?
(a) A feather.
(b) A stone.
(c) A coal.
(d) A flower.
4. Why does Faust try to dispel Paris in Scene 7 of Act I?
(a) He wants Helen for himself.
(b) Mephistopheles instructs him to.
(c) He's trying to protect Paris from the men at court.
(d) He is bored with Paris.
5. In what setting does Faust seek sleep in Act I?
(a) At the imperial court.
(b) A pleasing landscape.
(c) At home in his study.
(d) In a quiet cottage.
6. Which despicable and noxious creatures does Mephistopheles eventually find as the true embodiment of ugliness in Act II?
7. What two "orders" support the throne, according to the Chancellor in Scene 2 of Act I?
(a) The soldiers and the clergy.
(b) The clergy and the knights.
(c) The advisors and the soldiers.
(d) The common people and the clergy.
8. Who responds to Mephistopheles ringing the bell in Act II?
9. What happens when the emperor attempts to examine the treasure chest Faust has brought him in Scene 3 of Act I?
(a) He falls asleep.
(b) He is attacked by a group of beggars.
(c) He goes momentarily blind.
(d) His beard catches fire.
10. What is the name of the prophetess that Chiron takes Faust to in Act II?
11. Who tells the emperor they are out of wine in Scene 2 of Act I?
(b) The Field Marshal.
(c) The Steward.
(d) The Chancellor.
12. What is the name of the daughter of Nereus, who is expected to return to the sea in Act II?
13. What is the opinion of the women of the court of Helen?
(a) They are jealous of her.
(b) They try to emulate her.
(c) They are indifferent to her.
(d) They adore her.
14. What shape does Proteus take to transport the homunculus into the ocean on his back?
(a) A bird.
(b) A whale.
(c) A sea horse.
(d) A dolphin.
15. What science is Wagner practicing in the laboratory when Mephistopheles comes upon him in Scene 2 of Act II?
(b) Molecular Biology.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles cure the blonde woman of in Scene 6 of Act I?
2. Which mythical group suggests that Faust seek out Chiron?
3. What are the names of the two philosophers that the homunculus comes upon in Scene 3 of Act II?
4. What is the setting in the beginning of Act II?
5. Who is specifically told to remain behind in his study rather than travel with the homunculus to Walpurgis Night?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)