|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Faust meet Mephistopheles in Scene 5 of Act I?
(a) In a meadow.
(b) By the fountains in the gardens of the emperor.
(c) A dark corridor in the palace.
(d) In the busy grand dining hall.
2. Who does the Emperor ask to see in the beginning of Scene 2 of Act I?
(a) The treasurer.
(b) The chancellor.
(c) The fool.
(d) His wiseman.
3. Who becomes the fool for the emperor in Scene 2 of Act I?
(b) The chancellor.
4. What is the name of the shape-shifting god of forms, who homunculus is advised to seek out in the end of Scene 3 in Act II?
5. Who gives the prologue to Scene 3 in Act II?
(d) The homonculus.
6. According to Mephistopheles, what must one possess to receive miracles?
(b) Divine blessing.
(d) Good Luck.
7. What does Wagner believe the sound of the bell accompanying Mephistopheles in Act II signals?
(a) Good things to come.
(b) A warning of an approaching evil.
(c) The birth of an idea.
(d) The end of the day.
8. What is the opinion of the women of the court of Paris?
(a) They dislike him.
(b) They find him beautiful.
(c) They are indifferent to him.
(d) They are jealous of him.
9. What is the job of Nereus?
(a) He is the protector of ships.
(b) He is the servant of Neptune.
(c) His job is not given in the novel.
(d) He is the guardian of the sea.
10. What does Mephistopheles introduce himself as to the Sphinxes and sirens?
(a) The Old Iniquity.
(c) The Ultimate Riddle.
(d) The Lost Seeker.
11. What is the opinion of the women of the court of Helen?
(a) They are indifferent to her.
(b) They are jealous of her.
(c) They adore her.
(d) They try to emulate her.
12. Who was an earlier student of Faust that now works as his assistant?
13. Which is not a name of the graces mentioned in Scene 3 of Act I?
14. What reason does the homunculus tell Mephistopheles, to encourage him to take Faust to the classical Walpurgis Night?
(a) The homunculus believes it will be amusing.
(b) It is the only way for Mephistopheles to understand Faust.
(c) Otherwise Faust will die.
(d) He does not give a reason, but simply demands they go.
15. When Faust awakens in Act I, what are his impressions of his surroundings?
(a) He barely notices his surroundings.
(b) He finds the landscape to be paradise.
(c) He finds everything dark and dreary.
(d) He finds the area just the way he remembers it, unchanging.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the daughter of Nereus, who is expected to return to the sea in Act II?
2. What is the setting of Scene 7 in Act I?
3. What is the setting in the beginning of Act II?
4. Who has replaced Faust in his position at the University in Act II?
5. What token does Mephistopheles give Lady to help her regain the affection of her lover in Scene 6 of Act I?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)