|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles introduce himself as to the Sphinxes and sirens?
(a) The Old Iniquity.
(c) The Ultimate Riddle.
(d) The Lost Seeker.
2. What is the setting of Scene 4 in Act I?
(a) The city center and site of the Carnvial celebration.
(b) The cathedral.
(c) The countryside.
(d) The pleasure gardens of the imperial court.
3. In what setting does Faust seek sleep in Act I?
(a) At the imperial court.
(b) At home in his study.
(c) In a quiet cottage.
(d) A pleasing landscape.
4. What does Wagner believe the sound of the bell accompanying Mephistopheles in Act II signals?
(a) Good things to come.
(b) A warning of an approaching evil.
(c) The birth of an idea.
(d) The end of the day.
5. What shape does Proteus take to transport the homunculus into the ocean on his back?
(a) A bird.
(b) A sea horse.
(c) A dolphin.
(d) A whale.
6. How does the homunculus appear in the beginning of Scene 3 of Act II?
(a) As water.
(b) As a light in a bottle.
(c) As a slightly darkened cloud.
(d) As the reflection on a mirror.
7. What does Mephistopheles give Faust to help him on his journey to conjure Helen and Paris?
(a) A password.
(b) A dark cloak.
(c) A magical key.
(d) A map of the underworld.
8. Who was an earlier student of Faust that now works as his assistant?
9. What is the name of the daughter of Nereus, who is expected to return to the sea in Act II?
10. Which despicable and noxious creatures does Mephistopheles eventually find as the true embodiment of ugliness in Act II?
11. How has Mephistopheles paid people in the empire in Act I?
(a) Through paper notes signed by the emperor.
(b) He has not paid anyone in the empire.
(c) He paid them with jewels from the emperor's treasure chamber.
(d) With gold he found buried in the kingdom.
12. Which is not a name of the graces mentioned in Scene 3 of Act I?
13. Which famous figure did Chiron tutor?
14. What must Faust descend through to read the location given by the prophetess in Act II?
(a) The Garden of Eden.
(b) The home of Hades.
(c) The Temple of Demetrius.
(d) The Temple of Apollo.
15. According to Faust's dream, who is the mother of Helen?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the prophetess instruct Faust to look for Helen in Act iI?
2. What ailment of the Brunette does Mephistopheles cure in Scene 6 of Act I?
3. What form does the homunculus decide to take at the end of Act II?
4. According to the astrologer in Scene 2, what is the fairest star?
5. Which figure guides the living Colossus in Scene 3 of Act I?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)