|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the names of the two philosophers that the homunculus comes upon in Scene 3 of Act II?
(a) Anaxagoras and Xenophanes.
(b) Anaxagoras and Thales.
(c) Socrates and Plato.
(d) Heraclitus and Thales.
2. According to Mephistopheles, what must one possess to receive miracles?
(b) Divine blessing.
(d) Good Luck.
3. Where does Faust meet Mephistopheles in Scene 5 of Act I?
(a) In a meadow.
(b) A dark corridor in the palace.
(c) In the busy grand dining hall.
(d) By the fountains in the gardens of the emperor.
4. Why is Wagner successful in creating the homunculus in Scene II of Act II?
(a) He has several students assisting him.
(b) He is aided by Mephistopheles.
(c) He uses a new procedure.
(d) He is not successful in creating the homunculus.
5. Who becomes the fool for the emperor in Scene 2 of Act I?
(a) The chancellor.
6. According to Faust's dream, who is the mother of Helen?
7. What two "orders" support the throne, according to the Chancellor in Scene 2 of Act I?
(a) The common people and the clergy.
(b) The clergy and the knights.
(c) The soldiers and the clergy.
(d) The advisors and the soldiers.
8. Which figure guides the living Colossus in Scene 3 of Act I?
9. What does Faust distribute to the crowd in Scene 3 of Act I?
(a) Food and wine.
(b) Beautiful jewelry that is bewitched to change colors.
(c) Magical money that transforms when it is touched.
(d) Anvils and hammers to do work.
10. Who sings a song of rejuvenation to Faust?
(c) The flowers.
(d) Fairies of the field.
11. What are the female vampires called who Mephistopheles meets in Act II?
12. What does Mephistopheles cure the blonde woman of in Scene 6 of Act I?
13. According to the astrologer in Scene 2, what is the fairest star?
14. What must Faust descend through to read the location given by the prophetess in Act II?
(a) The Temple of Apollo.
(b) The Temple of Demetrius.
(c) The home of Hades.
(d) The Garden of Eden.
15. What instrument accompanies the garden girls in Scene 3 of Act I?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the opinion of the women of the court of Paris?
2. Why has the emperor requested Faust to conjure Helen and Paris?
3. What event prompts Anaxagoras to believe he won the philosophical debate in Scene 3 of Act II?
4. What happens when the emperor attempts to examine the treasure chest Faust has brought him in Scene 3 of Act I?
5. What does Wagner believe the sound of the bell accompanying Mephistopheles in Act II signals?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)