|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the prophetess instruct Faust to look for Helen in Act iI?
(a) Mount Olympus.
(b) The river Thebes.
(c) The underworld.
(d) The Agean Sea.
2. Who sings a song of rejuvenation to Faust?
(a) The flowers.
(c) Fairies of the field.
3. Where does Mephistopheles place Faust at the beginning of Act II?
(a) Behind a curtain.
(b) Under the desk.
(c) Outside under a tree.
(d) In his scholarly robes on his bed.
4. What must Faust descend through to read the location given by the prophetess in Act II?
(a) The Garden of Eden.
(b) The Temple of Apollo.
(c) The home of Hades.
(d) The Temple of Demetrius.
5. What does Mephistopheles give Faust to help him on his journey to conjure Helen and Paris?
(a) A password.
(b) A map of the underworld.
(c) A dark cloak.
(d) A magical key.
6. Which is not a name of the graces mentioned in Scene 3 of Act I?
7. What is the name of the shape-shifting god of forms, who homunculus is advised to seek out in the end of Scene 3 in Act II?
8. When Faust awakens in Act I, what are his impressions of his surroundings?
(a) He finds the area just the way he remembers it, unchanging.
(b) He finds everything dark and dreary.
(c) He barely notices his surroundings.
(d) He finds the landscape to be paradise.
9. How does the group travel with the homunculus to Walpurgis Night in Scene 2 of Act II?
(a) They all take sleeping draughts and travel in their dreams together.
(b) They appeal to the Mothers to make their journey.
(c) They physcially walk to Walpurgis Night.
(d) They travel through time and space to classical Greece.
10. What is the opinion of the women of the court of Helen?
(a) They adore her.
(b) They try to emulate her.
(c) They are indifferent to her.
(d) They are jealous of her.
11. Which despicable and noxious creatures does Mephistopheles eventually find as the true embodiment of ugliness in Act II?
12. Which famous figure did Chiron tutor?
13. What is the setting of Scene 3 in Act II?
(a) The temple of Athena.
(b) The plains of Pharsalus.
(c) The setting is not given.
(d) The main square of Athens.
14. What does Wagner believe the sound of the bell accompanying Mephistopheles in Act II signals?
(a) A warning of an approaching evil.
(b) The birth of an idea.
(c) The end of the day.
(d) Good things to come.
15. In what setting does Faust seek sleep in Act I?
(a) A pleasing landscape.
(b) In a quiet cottage.
(c) At the imperial court.
(d) At home in his study.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of creature is Chiron?
2. What is the setting of Scene 7 in Act I?
3. Who gives the prologue to Scene 3 in Act II?
4. What is the name of the daughter of Nereus, who is expected to return to the sea in Act II?
5. Why does Faust try to dispel Paris in Scene 7 of Act I?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)