|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Faust desirous to leave the group when the first arrive at Walpurgis Night in Act II?
(a) He is obsessed with finding Helen.
(b) He is upset at Mephistopholes.
(c) The homunculus suggests that he goes off on his own.
(d) He wants to seek out Achilles.
2. What is the name of the shape-shifting god of forms, who homunculus is advised to seek out in the end of Scene 3 in Act II?
3. How does the group travel with the homunculus to Walpurgis Night in Scene 2 of Act II?
(a) They appeal to the Mothers to make their journey.
(b) They all take sleeping draughts and travel in their dreams together.
(c) They travel through time and space to classical Greece.
(d) They physcially walk to Walpurgis Night.
4. What event prompts Anaxagoras to believe he won the philosophical debate in Scene 3 of Act II?
(a) The fall of a meteor, which disrupts the landscape.
(b) The lunar eclipse that takes place.
(c) The appearance of volcano.
(d) The arrival of a flock of birds.
5. What ailment of the Brunette does Mephistopheles cure in Scene 6 of Act I?
(a) A sick stomach.
(b) A frozen foot.
(c) A cramped hand.
(d) A headache.
6. Who does the Emperor ask to see in the beginning of Scene 2 of Act I?
(a) The chancellor.
(b) The fool.
(c) His wiseman.
(d) The treasurer.
7. Which despicable and noxious creatures does Mephistopheles eventually find as the true embodiment of ugliness in Act II?
8. Who tells the emperor they are out of wine in Scene 2 of Act I?
(a) The Field Marshal.
(b) The Steward.
(d) The Chancellor.
9. What shape does Proteus take to transport the homunculus into the ocean on his back?
(a) A sea horse.
(b) A dolphin.
(c) A whale.
(d) A bird.
10. Who has replaced Faust in his position at the University in Act II?
(b) The position has not been filled.
11. Which group of people does Baccalaureus feel should be shot?
(a) Men over thirty.
(b) Single females.
(c) Inexperienced youth.
(d) All professors.
12. In what setting does Faust seek sleep in Act I?
(a) At home in his study.
(b) A pleasing landscape.
(c) In a quiet cottage.
(d) At the imperial court.
13. What is the setting of Scene 3 in Act II?
(a) The temple of Athena.
(b) The setting is not given.
(c) The plains of Pharsalus.
(d) The main square of Athens.
14. Why has the emperor requested Faust to conjure Helen and Paris?
(a) Mephistopheles suggested it to him.
(b) He hopes to have Paris lead his army.
(c) He seeks amusement and wants to see their beauty.
(d) He hopes to woo Helen.
15. What reason does the homunculus tell Mephistopheles, to encourage him to take Faust to the classical Walpurgis Night?
(a) The homunculus believes it will be amusing.
(b) Otherwise Faust will die.
(c) He does not give a reason, but simply demands they go.
(d) It is the only way for Mephistopheles to understand Faust.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must Faust descend through to read the location given by the prophetess in Act II?
2. What news does the marshal bring the emperor in the beginning of Scene 4 of Act I?
3. What is the opinion of the women of the court of Paris?
4. What is the opinion of the women of the court of Helen?
5. What is the state of Faust at the end of Act I?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)