|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles cure the blonde woman of in Scene 6 of Act I?
2. Where does Faust meet Mephistopheles in Scene 5 of Act I?
(a) By the fountains in the gardens of the emperor.
(b) In the busy grand dining hall.
(c) A dark corridor in the palace.
(d) In a meadow.
3. According to the astrologer in Scene 2, what is the fairest star?
4. Who has replaced Faust in his position at the University in Act II?
(b) The position has not been filled.
5. What is the name of the daughter of Nereus, who is expected to return to the sea in Act II?
6. Which mythical group suggests that Faust seek out Chiron?
(a) The ogres.
(b) The sirens.
(c) The fates.
(d) The sphinxes.
7. According to Faust's dream, who is the father of Helen?
8. What are the female vampires called who Mephistopheles meets in Act II?
9. When Faust awakens in Act I, what are his impressions of his surroundings?
(a) He finds the area just the way he remembers it, unchanging.
(b) He finds the landscape to be paradise.
(c) He barely notices his surroundings.
(d) He finds everything dark and dreary.
10. According to Mephistopheles, what must one possess to receive miracles?
(a) Good Luck.
(b) Divine blessing.
11. What is the setting of Scene 7 in Act I?
(a) A dimly illuminated Baronial Hall.
(b) A brightly lighted room.
(c) The setting is not disclosed.
(d) A beautiful pleasure garden.
12. Who tells the emperor they are out of wine in Scene 2 of Act I?
(a) The Steward.
(b) The Chancellor.
(c) The Field Marshal.
13. What are the names of the two philosophers that the homunculus comes upon in Scene 3 of Act II?
(a) Anaxagoras and Xenophanes.
(b) Socrates and Plato.
(c) Heraclitus and Thales.
(d) Anaxagoras and Thales.
14. What news does the marshal bring the emperor in the beginning of Scene 4 of Act I?
(a) He tells the emperor that the people have built a statue for him.
(b) He tells the emperor that the people are rioting.
(c) He tells the emperor a civil war has broken out.
(d) He tells the emperor that all of his debts have been paid in full.
15. What form does the homunculus decide to take at the end of Act II?
(d) He decides to not take a form, but remain shapeless.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting of Scene 4 in Act I?
2. In what setting does Faust seek sleep in Act I?
3. Why does Faust try to dispel Paris in Scene 7 of Act I?
4. How does the group travel with the homunculus to Walpurgis Night in Scene 2 of Act II?
5. Why is Wagner successful in creating the homunculus in Scene II of Act II?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)