|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What shape does Proteus take to transport the homunculus into the ocean on his back?
(a) A dolphin.
(b) A sea horse.
(c) A bird.
(d) A whale.
2. What instrument accompanies the gardeners in Scene 3 of Act I?
3. Why has the emperor requested Faust to conjure Helen and Paris?
(a) He hopes to have Paris lead his army.
(b) Mephistopheles suggested it to him.
(c) He seeks amusement and wants to see their beauty.
(d) He hopes to woo Helen.
4. Where does the prophetess instruct Faust to look for Helen in Act iI?
(a) The Agean Sea.
(b) The underworld.
(c) Mount Olympus.
(d) The river Thebes.
5. Who responds to Mephistopheles ringing the bell in Act II?
6. Which mythical group suggests that Faust seek out Chiron?
(a) The fates.
(b) The sphinxes.
(c) The sirens.
(d) The ogres.
7. What form does the homunculus decide to take at the end of Act II?
(d) He decides to not take a form, but remain shapeless.
8. Who gives the prologue to Scene 3 in Act II?
(a) The homonculus.
9. Which famous figure did Chiron tutor?
10. Who is the queen of the dead as featured in Act II?
11. What ancient mythological figure does the Astrologer compare Faust with in Scene 7 of Act I?
12. How has Mephistopheles paid people in the empire in Act I?
(a) Through paper notes signed by the emperor.
(b) With gold he found buried in the kingdom.
(c) He paid them with jewels from the emperor's treasure chamber.
(d) He has not paid anyone in the empire.
13. What event prompts Anaxagoras to believe he won the philosophical debate in Scene 3 of Act II?
(a) The appearance of volcano.
(b) The arrival of a flock of birds.
(c) The fall of a meteor, which disrupts the landscape.
(d) The lunar eclipse that takes place.
14. Which group of people does Baccalaureus feel should be shot?
(a) Men over thirty.
(b) Single females.
(c) All professors.
(d) Inexperienced youth.
15. What is the setting of Scene 4 in Act I?
(a) The pleasure gardens of the imperial court.
(b) The city center and site of the Carnvial celebration.
(c) The cathedral.
(d) The countryside.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sings a song of rejuvenation to Faust?
2. Which despicable and noxious creatures does Mephistopheles eventually find as the true embodiment of ugliness in Act II?
3. Who must Faust go to, in order to conjure Helen and Paris?
4. Which figure guides the living Colossus in Scene 3 of Act I?
5. What is the setting of Scene 3 in Act II?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)