|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who sings a song of rejuvenation to Faust?
(a) Fairies of the field.
(d) The flowers.
2. What is the name of the prophetess that Chiron takes Faust to in Act II?
3. How has Mephistopheles paid people in the empire in Act I?
(a) With gold he found buried in the kingdom.
(b) He paid them with jewels from the emperor's treasure chamber.
(c) Through paper notes signed by the emperor.
(d) He has not paid anyone in the empire.
4. Which is not a name of the graces mentioned in Scene 3 of Act I?
5. What ancient mythological figure does the Astrologer compare Faust with in Scene 7 of Act I?
6. Who gives the prologue to Scene 3 in Act II?
(b) The homonculus.
7. What happens when the emperor attempts to examine the treasure chest Faust has brought him in Scene 3 of Act I?
(a) He falls asleep.
(b) He is attacked by a group of beggars.
(c) His beard catches fire.
(d) He goes momentarily blind.
8. In what setting does Faust seek sleep in Act I?
(a) At the imperial court.
(b) At home in his study.
(c) In a quiet cottage.
(d) A pleasing landscape.
9. What shape does Proteus take to transport the homunculus into the ocean on his back?
(a) A bird.
(b) A sea horse.
(c) A whale.
(d) A dolphin.
10. Why is Wagner successful in creating the homunculus in Scene II of Act II?
(a) He is not successful in creating the homunculus.
(b) He uses a new procedure.
(c) He has several students assisting him.
(d) He is aided by Mephistopheles.
11. What ailment of the Brunette does Mephistopheles cure in Scene 6 of Act I?
(a) A cramped hand.
(b) A headache.
(c) A frozen foot.
(d) A sick stomach.
12. What science is Wagner practicing in the laboratory when Mephistopheles comes upon him in Scene 2 of Act II?
(d) Molecular Biology.
13. According to the astrologer in Scene 2, what is the fairest star?
14. Why is Faust desirous to leave the group when the first arrive at Walpurgis Night in Act II?
(a) He is upset at Mephistopholes.
(b) He wants to seek out Achilles.
(c) He is obsessed with finding Helen.
(d) The homunculus suggests that he goes off on his own.
15. Who tells the emperor they are out of wine in Scene 2 of Act I?
(b) The Steward.
(c) The Chancellor.
(d) The Field Marshal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which famous figure did Chiron tutor?
2. What is the state of Faust at the end of Act I?
3. Where does Mephistopheles place Faust at the beginning of Act II?
4. Who has replaced Faust in his position at the University in Act II?
5. What is the eldest of the fates?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)