|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what setting does Faust seek sleep in Act I?
(a) A pleasing landscape.
(b) In a quiet cottage.
(c) At home in his study.
(d) At the imperial court.
2. Where does Mephistopheles place Faust at the beginning of Act II?
(a) In his scholarly robes on his bed.
(b) Outside under a tree.
(c) Behind a curtain.
(d) Under the desk.
3. Who responds to Mephistopheles ringing the bell in Act II?
4. What is the opinion of the women of the court of Helen?
(a) They are indifferent to her.
(b) They try to emulate her.
(c) They adore her.
(d) They are jealous of her.
5. What does Mephistopheles introduce himself as to the Sphinxes and sirens?
(a) The Lost Seeker.
(b) The Ultimate Riddle.
(d) The Old Iniquity.
6. What is the job of Nereus?
(a) He is the protector of ships.
(b) His job is not given in the novel.
(c) He is the servant of Neptune.
(d) He is the guardian of the sea.
7. What does Mephistopheles cure the blonde woman of in Scene 6 of Act I?
8. What must Faust descend through to read the location given by the prophetess in Act II?
(a) The Garden of Eden.
(b) The Temple of Apollo.
(c) The Temple of Demetrius.
(d) The home of Hades.
9. How does the homunculus appear in the beginning of Scene 3 of Act II?
(a) As the reflection on a mirror.
(b) As a slightly darkened cloud.
(c) As a light in a bottle.
(d) As water.
10. What reason does the homunculus tell Mephistopheles, to encourage him to take Faust to the classical Walpurgis Night?
(a) He does not give a reason, but simply demands they go.
(b) It is the only way for Mephistopheles to understand Faust.
(c) The homunculus believes it will be amusing.
(d) Otherwise Faust will die.
11. When Faust awakens in Act I, what are his impressions of his surroundings?
(a) He finds the area just the way he remembers it, unchanging.
(b) He finds everything dark and dreary.
(c) He finds the landscape to be paradise.
(d) He barely notices his surroundings.
12. What is the name of the daughter of Nereus, who is expected to return to the sea in Act II?
13. Who is the queen of the dead as featured in Act II?
14. What is the state of Faust at the end of Act I?
(a) He has vanished with Paris and Helen.
(b) He is asleep.
(c) He is unconscious.
(d) He is content and happily visiting with Mephistopheles.
15. What form does the homunculus decide to take at the end of Act II?
(a) He decides to not take a form, but remain shapeless.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is not a name of the graces mentioned in Scene 3 of Act I?
2. What holiday is the court preparing to celebrate in Act I?
3. Why is Wagner successful in creating the homunculus in Scene II of Act II?
4. Where does the prophetess instruct Faust to look for Helen in Act iI?
5. Why has the emperor requested Faust to conjure Helen and Paris?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)