|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives the prologue to Scene 3 in Act II?
(a) The homonculus.
2. What is the eldest of the fates?
3. According to Mephistopheles, what must one possess to receive miracles?
(c) Divine blessing.
(d) Good Luck.
4. What is the setting of Scene 7 in Act I?
(a) The setting is not disclosed.
(b) A beautiful pleasure garden.
(c) A dimly illuminated Baronial Hall.
(d) A brightly lighted room.
5. How does the homunculus appear in the beginning of Scene 3 of Act II?
(a) As a slightly darkened cloud.
(b) As a light in a bottle.
(c) As water.
(d) As the reflection on a mirror.
6. When Faust awakens in Act I, what are his impressions of his surroundings?
(a) He finds the landscape to be paradise.
(b) He finds everything dark and dreary.
(c) He finds the area just the way he remembers it, unchanging.
(d) He barely notices his surroundings.
7. What holiday is the court preparing to celebrate in Act I?
(a) Winter Solstice.
(b) Day of the Kings.
(d) May Day.
8. Who is the first mind that is read by the homunculus?
9. What instrument accompanies the gardeners in Scene 3 of Act I?
10. Where does Faust meet Mephistopheles in Scene 5 of Act I?
(a) In the busy grand dining hall.
(b) In a meadow.
(c) By the fountains in the gardens of the emperor.
(d) A dark corridor in the palace.
11. What does Mephistopheles cure the blonde woman of in Scene 6 of Act I?
12. Where does Mephistopheles place Faust at the beginning of Act II?
(a) Outside under a tree.
(b) Under the desk.
(c) In his scholarly robes on his bed.
(d) Behind a curtain.
13. Who does the Emperor ask to see in the beginning of Scene 2 of Act I?
(a) The fool.
(b) His wiseman.
(c) The treasurer.
(d) The chancellor.
14. Who becomes the fool for the emperor in Scene 2 of Act I?
(c) The chancellor.
15. What type of creature is Chiron?
(a) A nymph.
(b) A centaur.
(c) A faun.
(d) A demi-god.
Short Answer Questions
1. What science is Wagner practicing in the laboratory when Mephistopheles comes upon him in Scene 2 of Act II?
2. What is the setting in the beginning of Act II?
3. Who tells the emperor they are out of wine in Scene 2 of Act I?
4. What two "orders" support the throne, according to the Chancellor in Scene 2 of Act I?
5. What is the name of the prophetess that Chiron takes Faust to in Act II?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)