|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Faust distribute to the crowd in Scene 3 of Act I?
(a) Food and wine.
(b) Anvils and hammers to do work.
(c) Magical money that transforms when it is touched.
(d) Beautiful jewelry that is bewitched to change colors.
2. What happens when the emperor attempts to examine the treasure chest Faust has brought him in Scene 3 of Act I?
(a) He is attacked by a group of beggars.
(b) His beard catches fire.
(c) He goes momentarily blind.
(d) He falls asleep.
3. Who must Faust go to, in order to conjure Helen and Paris?
(a) The Graces.
(b) The Fates.
(d) The Mothers.
4. Which despicable and noxious creatures does Mephistopheles eventually find as the true embodiment of ugliness in Act II?
5. What is the name of the prophetess that Chiron takes Faust to in Act II?
6. What instrument accompanies the gardeners in Scene 3 of Act I?
7. In what setting does Faust seek sleep in Act I?
(a) In a quiet cottage.
(b) At home in his study.
(c) At the imperial court.
(d) A pleasing landscape.
8. Who has replaced Faust in his position at the University in Act II?
(d) The position has not been filled.
9. What are the names of the two philosophers that the homunculus comes upon in Scene 3 of Act II?
(a) Anaxagoras and Xenophanes.
(b) Anaxagoras and Thales.
(c) Socrates and Plato.
(d) Heraclitus and Thales.
10. What does Phoebe's wheels symbolize in Act I, Scene 1?
(a) A thunder storm.
(b) The rising moon.
(c) The setting sun.
(d) The approach of dawn.
11. According to the astrologer in Scene 2, what is the fairest star?
12. What holiday is the court preparing to celebrate in Act I?
(a) May Day.
(b) Day of the Kings.
(c) Winter Solstice.
13. According to Faust's dream, who is the father of Helen?
14. Who is the god of wealth that Faust dresses as in Scene 3 of Act I?
15. Who becomes the fool for the emperor in Scene 2 of Act I?
(d) The chancellor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting of Scene 4 in Act I?
2. Where does Faust meet Mephistopheles in Scene 5 of Act I?
3. How has Mephistopheles paid people in the empire in Act I?
4. Where does Mephistopheles place Faust at the beginning of Act II?
5. What is the setting of Scene 7 in Act I?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)