|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was an earlier student of Faust that now works as his assistant?
2. Where does the prophetess instruct Faust to look for Helen in Act iI?
(a) The river Thebes.
(b) The underworld.
(c) The Agean Sea.
(d) Mount Olympus.
3. Why is Wagner successful in creating the homunculus in Scene II of Act II?
(a) He is aided by Mephistopheles.
(b) He has several students assisting him.
(c) He is not successful in creating the homunculus.
(d) He uses a new procedure.
4. Which is not a name of the graces mentioned in Scene 3 of Act I?
5. What happens when the emperor attempts to examine the treasure chest Faust has brought him in Scene 3 of Act I?
(a) He falls asleep.
(b) He goes momentarily blind.
(c) He is attacked by a group of beggars.
(d) His beard catches fire.
6. Who has replaced Faust in his position at the University in Act II?
(a) The position has not been filled.
7. According to the astrologer in Scene 2, what is the fairest star?
8. How has Mephistopheles paid people in the empire in Act I?
(a) He paid them with jewels from the emperor's treasure chamber.
(b) Through paper notes signed by the emperor.
(c) With gold he found buried in the kingdom.
(d) He has not paid anyone in the empire.
9. Which despicable and noxious creatures does Mephistopheles eventually find as the true embodiment of ugliness in Act II?
10. What is the opinion of the women of the court of Helen?
(a) They are jealous of her.
(b) They are indifferent to her.
(c) They adore her.
(d) They try to emulate her.
11. What shape does Proteus take to transport the homunculus into the ocean on his back?
(a) A sea horse.
(b) A whale.
(c) A dolphin.
(d) A bird.
12. Which mythical group suggests that Faust seek out Chiron?
(a) The sirens.
(b) The ogres.
(c) The sphinxes.
(d) The fates.
13. What is the name of the daughter of Nereus, who is expected to return to the sea in Act II?
14. How does the group travel with the homunculus to Walpurgis Night in Scene 2 of Act II?
(a) They all take sleeping draughts and travel in their dreams together.
(b) They travel through time and space to classical Greece.
(c) They physcially walk to Walpurgis Night.
(d) They appeal to the Mothers to make their journey.
15. What is the job of Nereus?
(a) His job is not given in the novel.
(b) He is the protector of ships.
(c) He is the servant of Neptune.
(d) He is the guardian of the sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two "orders" support the throne, according to the Chancellor in Scene 2 of Act I?
2. Who responds to Mephistopheles ringing the bell in Act II?
3. Who is the god of wealth that Faust dresses as in Scene 3 of Act I?
4. What are the names of the two philosophers that the homunculus comes upon in Scene 3 of Act II?
5. Which figure guides the living Colossus in Scene 3 of Act I?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)