|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What holiday is the court preparing to celebrate in Act I?
(a) Winter Solstice.
(b) May Day.
(d) Day of the Kings.
2. What is the setting of Scene 4 in Act I?
(a) The pleasure gardens of the imperial court.
(b) The cathedral.
(c) The countryside.
(d) The city center and site of the Carnvial celebration.
3. What does Phoebe's wheels symbolize in Act I, Scene 1?
(a) The rising moon.
(b) The setting sun.
(c) The approach of dawn.
(d) A thunder storm.
4. Who is the first mind that is read by the homunculus?
5. Who does the Emperor ask to see in the beginning of Scene 2 of Act I?
(a) His wiseman.
(b) The fool.
(c) The treasurer.
(d) The chancellor.
6. What is the name of the shape-shifting god of forms, who homunculus is advised to seek out in the end of Scene 3 in Act II?
7. Why has the emperor requested Faust to conjure Helen and Paris?
(a) He hopes to have Paris lead his army.
(b) He hopes to woo Helen.
(c) He seeks amusement and wants to see their beauty.
(d) Mephistopheles suggested it to him.
8. What does Mephistopheles introduce himself as to the Sphinxes and sirens?
(a) The Old Iniquity.
(b) The Lost Seeker.
(d) The Ultimate Riddle.
9. According to Faust's dream, who is the father of Helen?
10. Who sings a song of rejuvenation to Faust?
(a) Fairies of the field.
(c) The flowers.
11. What must Faust descend through to read the location given by the prophetess in Act II?
(a) The Garden of Eden.
(b) The Temple of Demetrius.
(c) The Temple of Apollo.
(d) The home of Hades.
12. Where does the prophetess instruct Faust to look for Helen in Act iI?
(a) The Agean Sea.
(b) Mount Olympus.
(c) The river Thebes.
(d) The underworld.
13. What is the state of Faust at the end of Act I?
(a) He is content and happily visiting with Mephistopheles.
(b) He is unconscious.
(c) He has vanished with Paris and Helen.
(d) He is asleep.
14. What are the female vampires called who Mephistopheles meets in Act II?
15. What is the opinion of the men of court of Helen?
(a) They are indifferent to her.
(b) They can't see her.
(c) They find her very beautiful.
(d) They dislike her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ailment of the Brunette does Mephistopheles cure in Scene 6 of Act I?
2. Who is the god of wealth that Faust dresses as in Scene 3 of Act I?
3. Where does Mephistopheles place Faust at the beginning of Act II?
4. In what setting does Faust seek sleep in Act I?
5. What does Wagner believe the sound of the bell accompanying Mephistopheles in Act II signals?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)