|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles cure the blonde woman of in Scene 6 of Act I?
2. What does Faust distribute to the crowd in Scene 3 of Act I?
(a) Food and wine.
(b) Anvils and hammers to do work.
(c) Magical money that transforms when it is touched.
(d) Beautiful jewelry that is bewitched to change colors.
3. Which group of people does Baccalaureus feel should be shot?
(a) Men over thirty.
(b) Single females.
(c) All professors.
(d) Inexperienced youth.
4. Who has replaced Faust in his position at the University in Act II?
(c) The position has not been filled.
5. Which famous figure did Chiron tutor?
6. What are the female vampires called who Mephistopheles meets in Act II?
7. What is the eldest of the fates?
8. When Faust awakens in Act I, what are his impressions of his surroundings?
(a) He finds the landscape to be paradise.
(b) He finds the area just the way he remembers it, unchanging.
(c) He barely notices his surroundings.
(d) He finds everything dark and dreary.
9. What form does the homunculus decide to take at the end of Act II?
(b) He decides to not take a form, but remain shapeless.
10. Which despicable and noxious creatures does Mephistopheles eventually find as the true embodiment of ugliness in Act II?
11. According to Faust's dream, who is the father of Helen?
12. What does Mephistopheles introduce himself as to the Sphinxes and sirens?
(b) The Old Iniquity.
(c) The Lost Seeker.
(d) The Ultimate Riddle.
13. What ancient mythological figure does the Astrologer compare Faust with in Scene 7 of Act I?
14. Where does the prophetess instruct Faust to look for Helen in Act iI?
(a) The underworld.
(b) The river Thebes.
(c) Mount Olympus.
(d) The Agean Sea.
15. What science is Wagner practicing in the laboratory when Mephistopheles comes upon him in Scene 2 of Act II?
(b) Molecular Biology.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the names of the two philosophers that the homunculus comes upon in Scene 3 of Act II?
2. Who responds to Mephistopheles ringing the bell in Act II?
3. What is the opinion of the women of the court of Paris?
4. Who is the god of wealth that Faust dresses as in Scene 3 of Act I?
5. Who was an earlier student of Faust that now works as his assistant?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)