|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What must Faust descend through to read the location given by the prophetess in Act II?
(a) The home of Hades.
(b) The Temple of Apollo.
(c) The Temple of Demetrius.
(d) The Garden of Eden.
2. How did Faust and his men reclaim the land from the sea?
(a) They dug ditches and built dikes in superhuman time.
(b) They created one large damn.
(c) The land magically dried up overnight.
(d) They hauled in dirt from a nearby mountain to build up the land.
3. What power does Mephistopheles first offer Faust in Scene 1 of Act IV?
(a) All the riches of the land.
(b) Power over the ocean.
(c) Power over all nations.
(d) A harem of women.
4. In Act IV, what do the clouds eventually transform into in Scene 1?
(a) They completely evaporate and are formless.
(b) The form of a dove.
(c) The form of Gretchen.
(d) The form of Euphorion.
5. What are the names of the two philosophers that the homunculus comes upon in Scene 3 of Act II?
(a) Anaxagoras and Xenophanes.
(b) Anaxagoras and Thales.
(c) Socrates and Plato.
(d) Heraclitus and Thales.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Helen promptly return to the chorus after she leaves in Scene 1 of Act III?
2. What reason does the homunculus tell Mephistopheles, to encourage him to take Faust to the classical Walpurgis Night?
3. Which mythical group suggests that Faust seek out Chiron?
4. What is the opinion of the men of court of Helen?
5. What does Maia steal from Hephaestus?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)