|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What must Faust descend through to read the location given by the prophetess in Act II?
(a) The Garden of Eden.
(b) The Temple of Apollo.
(c) The Temple of Demetrius.
(d) The home of Hades.
2. What follows Mephistopheles and Helen as they flee at the end of Scene 1 in Act III?
(b) Several hopeful suitors for Helen.
(c) A dark cloud.
(d) A group of phorkyads.
3. Which despicable and noxious creatures does Mephistopheles eventually find as the true embodiment of ugliness in Act II?
4. What is Mephistopheles' final action in Act III?
(a) To remove the mask of Phorkyas and reveal himself.
(b) To write a letter to Menelaus.
(c) To sing a song in praise of Faust.
(d) To weep for Helen.
5. Who gives the prologue to Scene 3 in Act II?
(c) The homonculus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the names of the two philosophers that the homunculus comes upon in Scene 3 of Act II?
2. What news does the marshal bring the emperor in the beginning of Scene 4 of Act I?
3. What is the opinion of the men of court of Helen?
4. What reason does the homunculus tell Mephistopheles, to encourage him to take Faust to the classical Walpurgis Night?
5. What does Mephistopheles give Faust to help him on his journey to conjure Helen and Paris?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)