|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maia steal from Zeus?
(a) His Thunderbolts.
(b) His crown.
(c) A statue.
(d) His daughter.
2. What does Wagner believe the sound of the bell accompanying Mephistopheles in Act II signals?
(a) A warning of an approaching evil.
(b) Good things to come.
(c) The end of the day.
(d) The birth of an idea.
3. What happens when the emperor attempts to examine the treasure chest Faust has brought him in Scene 3 of Act I?
(a) He goes momentarily blind.
(b) His beard catches fire.
(c) He falls asleep.
(d) He is attacked by a group of beggars.
4. What is the job of Nereus?
(a) He is the guardian of the sea.
(b) He is the servant of Neptune.
(c) His job is not given in the novel.
(d) He is the protector of ships.
5. What is the opinion of the women of the court of Helen?
(a) They adore her.
(b) They are jealous of her.
(c) They try to emulate her.
(d) They are indifferent to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ancient mythological figure does the Astrologer compare Faust with in Scene 7 of Act I?
2. What is Helen afraid of in Scene 1 of Act III?
3. What instrument accompanies the gardeners in Scene 3 of Act I?
4. According to Faust's dream, who is the father of Helen?
5. What is the name of the leader of the chorus?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)