|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ailment of the Brunette does Mephistopheles cure in Scene 6 of Act I?
(a) A sick stomach.
(b) A frozen foot.
(c) A cramped hand.
(d) A headache.
2. Which despicable and noxious creatures does Mephistopheles eventually find as the true embodiment of ugliness in Act II?
3. Why is Faust desirous to leave the group when the first arrive at Walpurgis Night in Act II?
(a) The homunculus suggests that he goes off on his own.
(b) He wants to seek out Achilles.
(c) He is obsessed with finding Helen.
(d) He is upset at Mephistopholes.
4. Where does the prophetess instruct Faust to look for Helen in Act iI?
(a) The underworld.
(b) Mount Olympus.
(c) The river Thebes.
(d) The Agean Sea.
5. Who becomes the fool for the emperor in Scene 2 of Act I?
(b) The chancellor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Maia the patron god of?
2. What ancient mythological figure does the Astrologer compare Faust with in Scene 7 of Act I?
3. What does Wagner believe the sound of the bell accompanying Mephistopheles in Act II signals?
4. Who does Mephistopheles disguise himself as in Act III?
5. What is the opinion of the men of court of Helen?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)