|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What follows Mephistopheles and Helen as they flee at the end of Scene 1 in Act III?
(b) A dark cloud.
(c) Several hopeful suitors for Helen.
(d) A group of phorkyads.
2. In what setting does Faust seek sleep in Act I?
(a) At the imperial court.
(b) A pleasing landscape.
(c) In a quiet cottage.
(d) At home in his study.
3. Who take Euphorion's clothing?
(b) No one takes his clothing.
4. What instrument accompanies the garden girls in Scene 3 of Act I?
5. What news does the marshal bring the emperor in the beginning of Scene 4 of Act I?
(a) He tells the emperor that the people are rioting.
(b) He tells the emperor that all of his debts have been paid in full.
(c) He tells the emperor that the people have built a statue for him.
(d) He tells the emperor a civil war has broken out.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Wagner successful in creating the homunculus in Scene II of Act II?
2. What does Faust embrace as he is lifted into the sky at the end of Act III?
3. Which despicable and noxious creatures does Mephistopheles eventually find as the true embodiment of ugliness in Act II?
4. What is the opinion of the men of court of Helen?
5. What is the opinion of the women of the court of Helen?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)