|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What must Faust descend through to read the location given by the prophetess in Act II?
(a) The home of Hades.
(b) The Temple of Demetrius.
(c) The Garden of Eden.
(d) The Temple of Apollo.
2. What does Phoebe's wheels symbolize in Act I, Scene 1?
(a) The rising moon.
(b) The setting sun.
(c) A thunder storm.
(d) The approach of dawn.
3. Who is the queen of the dead as featured in Act II?
4. What shape does Proteus take to transport the homunculus into the ocean on his back?
(a) A whale.
(b) A dolphin.
(c) A bird.
(d) A sea horse.
5. Who is the god of wealth that Faust dresses as in Scene 3 of Act I?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wagner believe the sound of the bell accompanying Mephistopheles in Act II signals?
2. Why has the emperor requested Faust to conjure Helen and Paris?
3. How has Mephistopheles paid people in the empire in Act I?
4. Which despicable and noxious creatures does Mephistopheles eventually find as the true embodiment of ugliness in Act II?
5. What does Faust distribute to the crowd in Scene 3 of Act I?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)