|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles introduce himself as to the Sphinxes and sirens?
(b) The Lost Seeker.
(c) The Old Iniquity.
(d) The Ultimate Riddle.
2. What does Wagner believe the sound of the bell accompanying Mephistopheles in Act II signals?
(a) Good things to come.
(b) The birth of an idea.
(c) The end of the day.
(d) A warning of an approaching evil.
3. What does Phoebe's wheels symbolize in Act I, Scene 1?
(a) The setting sun.
(b) The rising moon.
(c) The approach of dawn.
(d) A thunder storm.
4. What type of creature is Chiron?
(a) A nymph.
(b) A centaur.
(c) A demi-god.
(d) A faun.
5. Who must Faust go to, in order to conjure Helen and Paris?
(b) The Graces.
(c) The Fates.
(d) The Mothers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must Faust descend through to read the location given by the prophetess in Act II?
2. What is the opinion of the men of court of Helen?
3. Who has replaced Faust in his position at the University in Act II?
4. What instrument accompanies the gardeners in Scene 3 of Act I?
5. What is the job of Nereus?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)