|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the job of Nereus?
(a) His job is not given in the novel.
(b) He is the guardian of the sea.
(c) He is the servant of Neptune.
(d) He is the protector of ships.
2. What token does Mephistopheles give Lady to help her regain the affection of her lover in Scene 6 of Act I?
(a) A stone.
(b) A flower.
(c) A feather.
(d) A coal.
3. What holiday is the court preparing to celebrate in Act I?
(a) Winter Solstice.
(b) Day of the Kings.
(c) May Day.
4. Who does the Emperor ask to see in the beginning of Scene 2 of Act I?
(a) His wiseman.
(b) The chancellor.
(c) The treasurer.
(d) The fool.
5. What is the setting in the beginning of Act II?
(a) The imperial court.
(b) Faust's study.
(c) Ancient Greece.
(d) A pleasing countryside.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Faust meet Mephistopheles in Scene 5 of Act I?
2. What does Faust distribute to the crowd in Scene 3 of Act I?
3. What does Phoebe's wheels symbolize in Act I, Scene 1?
4. What is the opinion of the men of court of Helen?
5. What does Wagner believe the sound of the bell accompanying Mephistopheles in Act II signals?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)