|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What science is Wagner practicing in the laboratory when Mephistopheles comes upon him in Scene 2 of Act II?
(a) Molecular Biology.
2. What does Mephistopheles introduce himself as to the Sphinxes and sirens?
(b) The Old Iniquity.
(c) The Lost Seeker.
(d) The Ultimate Riddle.
3. What event prompts Anaxagoras to believe he won the philosophical debate in Scene 3 of Act II?
(a) The lunar eclipse that takes place.
(b) The arrival of a flock of birds.
(c) The fall of a meteor, which disrupts the landscape.
(d) The appearance of volcano.
4. Who gives the prologue to Scene 3 in Act II?
(c) The homonculus.
5. How does the homunculus appear in the beginning of Scene 3 of Act II?
(a) As a light in a bottle.
(b) As the reflection on a mirror.
(c) As a slightly darkened cloud.
(d) As water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the daughter of Nereus, who is expected to return to the sea in Act II?
2. What is the state of Faust at the end of Act I?
3. How does the group travel with the homunculus to Walpurgis Night in Scene 2 of Act II?
4. What does Wagner believe the sound of the bell accompanying Mephistopheles in Act II signals?
5. What instrument accompanies the garden girls in Scene 3 of Act I?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)