|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the god of wealth that Faust dresses as in Scene 3 of Act I?
2. What does Wagner believe the sound of the bell accompanying Mephistopheles in Act II signals?
(a) The end of the day.
(b) A warning of an approaching evil.
(c) The birth of an idea.
(d) Good things to come.
3. What is the state of Faust at the end of Act I?
(a) He is asleep.
(b) He has vanished with Paris and Helen.
(c) He is content and happily visiting with Mephistopheles.
(d) He is unconscious.
4. What two "orders" support the throne, according to the Chancellor in Scene 2 of Act I?
(a) The advisors and the soldiers.
(b) The soldiers and the clergy.
(c) The clergy and the knights.
(d) The common people and the clergy.
5. According to the astrologer in Scene 2, what is the fairest star?
Short Answer Questions
1. What holiday is the court preparing to celebrate in Act I?
2. What does Faust distribute to the crowd in Scene 3 of Act I?
3. Why is Wagner successful in creating the homunculus in Scene II of Act II?
4. Which figure guides the living Colossus in Scene 3 of Act I?
5. What is the eldest of the fates?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)