|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does the marshal bring the emperor in the beginning of Scene 4 of Act I?
(a) He tells the emperor that the people are rioting.
(b) He tells the emperor that all of his debts have been paid in full.
(c) He tells the emperor a civil war has broken out.
(d) He tells the emperor that the people have built a statue for him.
2. In what setting does Faust seek sleep in Act I?
(a) In a quiet cottage.
(b) At home in his study.
(c) A pleasing landscape.
(d) At the imperial court.
3. What is the job of Nereus?
(a) He is the protector of ships.
(b) He is the guardian of the sea.
(c) His job is not given in the novel.
(d) He is the servant of Neptune.
4. How does the homunculus appear in the beginning of Scene 3 of Act II?
(a) As water.
(b) As a slightly darkened cloud.
(c) As a light in a bottle.
(d) As the reflection on a mirror.
5. Who was an earlier student of Faust that now works as his assistant?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting of Scene 3 in Act II?
2. What is the opinion of the women of the court of Paris?
3. Why has the emperor requested Faust to conjure Helen and Paris?
4. Which figure guides the living Colossus in Scene 3 of Act I?
5. Who tells the emperor they are out of wine in Scene 2 of Act I?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)