|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How has Mephistopheles paid people in the empire in Act I?
(a) Through paper notes signed by the emperor.
(b) He has not paid anyone in the empire.
(c) He paid them with jewels from the emperor's treasure chamber.
(d) With gold he found buried in the kingdom.
2. What instrument accompanies the garden girls in Scene 3 of Act I?
3. What happens when the emperor attempts to examine the treasure chest Faust has brought him in Scene 3 of Act I?
(a) He falls asleep.
(b) His beard catches fire.
(c) He is attacked by a group of beggars.
(d) He goes momentarily blind.
4. Who is the god of wealth that Faust dresses as in Scene 3 of Act I?
5. Who sings a song of rejuvenation to Faust?
(b) Fairies of the field.
(c) The flowers.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Faust awakens in Act I, what are his impressions of his surroundings?
2. According to Mephistopheles, what must one possess to receive miracles?
3. What is the opinion of the men of court of Helen?
4. What is the state of Faust at the end of Act I?
5. Who becomes the fool for the emperor in Scene 2 of Act I?
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)