|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what setting does Faust seek sleep in Act I?
(a) In a quiet cottage.
(b) A pleasing landscape.
(c) At the imperial court.
(d) At home in his study.
2. Why has the emperor requested Faust to conjure Helen and Paris?
(a) He seeks amusement and wants to see their beauty.
(b) He hopes to have Paris lead his army.
(c) Mephistopheles suggested it to him.
(d) He hopes to woo Helen.
3. How has Mephistopheles paid people in the empire in Act I?
(a) He has not paid anyone in the empire.
(b) He paid them with jewels from the emperor's treasure chamber.
(c) Through paper notes signed by the emperor.
(d) With gold he found buried in the kingdom.
4. What ailment of the Brunette does Mephistopheles cure in Scene 6 of Act I?
(a) A sick stomach.
(b) A frozen foot.
(c) A cramped hand.
(d) A headache.
5. What is the opinion of the women of the court of Paris?
(a) They dislike him.
(b) They are indifferent to him.
(c) They are jealous of him.
(d) They find him beautiful.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument accompanies the garden girls in Scene 3 of Act I?
2. According to Mephistopheles, what must one possess to receive miracles?
3. What holiday is the court preparing to celebrate in Act I?
4. When Faust awakens in Act I, what are his impressions of his surroundings?
5. What is the setting of Scene 4 in Act I?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)