|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when the emperor attempts to examine the treasure chest Faust has brought him in Scene 3 of Act I?
(a) His beard catches fire.
(b) He goes momentarily blind.
(c) He is attacked by a group of beggars.
(d) He falls asleep.
2. What holiday is the court preparing to celebrate in Act I?
(a) Day of the Kings.
(b) May Day.
(c) Winter Solstice.
3. According to the astrologer in Scene 2, what is the fairest star?
4. What does Phoebe's wheels symbolize in Act I, Scene 1?
(a) The rising moon.
(b) The approach of dawn.
(c) The setting sun.
(d) A thunder storm.
5. Why does Faust try to dispel Paris in Scene 7 of Act I?
(a) Mephistopheles instructs him to.
(b) He wants Helen for himself.
(c) He's trying to protect Paris from the men at court.
(d) He is bored with Paris.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells the emperor they are out of wine in Scene 2 of Act I?
2. Which figure guides the living Colossus in Scene 3 of Act I?
3. What is the setting of Scene 4 in Act I?
4. What is the opinion of the women of the court of Paris?
5. Where does Faust meet Mephistopheles in Scene 5 of Act I?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)