|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Faust meet Mephistopheles in Scene 5 of Act I?
(a) In a meadow.
(b) In the busy grand dining hall.
(c) A dark corridor in the palace.
(d) By the fountains in the gardens of the emperor.
2. What two "orders" support the throne, according to the Chancellor in Scene 2 of Act I?
(a) The clergy and the knights.
(b) The soldiers and the clergy.
(c) The common people and the clergy.
(d) The advisors and the soldiers.
3. Which is not a name of the graces mentioned in Scene 3 of Act I?
4. Who tells the emperor they are out of wine in Scene 2 of Act I?
(a) The Steward.
(c) The Field Marshal.
(d) The Chancellor.
5. What is the setting of Scene 4 in Act I?
(a) The cathedral.
(b) The pleasure gardens of the imperial court.
(c) The city center and site of the Carnvial celebration.
(d) The countryside.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting of Scene 7 in Act I?
2. Why does Faust try to dispel Paris in Scene 7 of Act I?
3. Why has the emperor requested Faust to conjure Helen and Paris?
4. What is the opinion of the men of court of Helen?
5. According to Mephistopheles, what must one possess to receive miracles?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)