|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells the emperor they are out of wine in Scene 2 of Act I?
(a) The Field Marshal.
(b) The Chancellor.
(d) The Steward.
2. What ailment of the Brunette does Mephistopheles cure in Scene 6 of Act I?
(a) A headache.
(b) A cramped hand.
(c) A frozen foot.
(d) A sick stomach.
3. What happens when the emperor attempts to examine the treasure chest Faust has brought him in Scene 3 of Act I?
(a) He is attacked by a group of beggars.
(b) He goes momentarily blind.
(c) He falls asleep.
(d) His beard catches fire.
4. What does Mephistopheles give Faust to help him on his journey to conjure Helen and Paris?
(a) A map of the underworld.
(b) A password.
(c) A dark cloak.
(d) A magical key.
5. What is the state of Faust at the end of Act I?
(a) He is asleep.
(b) He has vanished with Paris and Helen.
(c) He is content and happily visiting with Mephistopheles.
(d) He is unconscious.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the god of wealth that Faust dresses as in Scene 3 of Act I?
2. What two "orders" support the throne, according to the Chancellor in Scene 2 of Act I?
3. What is the setting of Scene 4 in Act I?
4. Why has the emperor requested Faust to conjure Helen and Paris?
5. What ancient mythological figure does the Astrologer compare Faust with in Scene 7 of Act I?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)