|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells the emperor they are out of wine in Scene 2 of Act I?
(b) The Field Marshal.
(c) The Steward.
(d) The Chancellor.
2. What news does the marshal bring the emperor in the beginning of Scene 4 of Act I?
(a) He tells the emperor that all of his debts have been paid in full.
(b) He tells the emperor a civil war has broken out.
(c) He tells the emperor that the people have built a statue for him.
(d) He tells the emperor that the people are rioting.
3. What happens when the emperor attempts to examine the treasure chest Faust has brought him in Scene 3 of Act I?
(a) He falls asleep.
(b) He goes momentarily blind.
(c) His beard catches fire.
(d) He is attacked by a group of beggars.
4. What is the opinion of the men of court of Helen?
(a) They dislike her.
(b) They find her very beautiful.
(c) They can't see her.
(d) They are indifferent to her.
5. In what setting does Faust seek sleep in Act I?
(a) In a quiet cottage.
(b) A pleasing landscape.
(c) At the imperial court.
(d) At home in his study.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Faust awakens in Act I, what are his impressions of his surroundings?
2. What is the eldest of the fates?
3. Where does Faust meet Mephistopheles in Scene 5 of Act I?
4. Who is the god of wealth that Faust dresses as in Scene 3 of Act I?
5. What is the setting of Scene 4 in Act I?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)