|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Faust claim sent him to the emperor?
(a) He does not say who sent him.
(b) He claims he was sent by a wizard.
(c) He claims he was sent by the rival emperor.
(d) He claims he was sent by Zeus.
2. In the beginning of Act IV, what form do the clouds take on first?
(a) The image of Mephisotpheles.
(b) The form of Faust.
(c) The form of Leda and Helen.
(d) The form of Zeus and Ares.
3. What follows Mephistopheles and Helen as they flee at the end of Scene 1 in Act III?
(b) Several hopeful suitors for Helen.
(c) A group of phorkyads.
(d) A dark cloud.
4. What is the state of Faust at the end of Act I?
(a) He is unconscious.
(b) He is content and happily visiting with Mephistopheles.
(c) He is asleep.
(d) He has vanished with Paris and Helen.
5. Why does Helen promptly return to the chorus after she leaves in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) She has forgotten her shawl, which she needs to enter the temple.
(b) She is lonely and quickly seeks company from the chorus.
(c) She is frightened of a creature in the palace.
(d) A messenger brings her word to return.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time does Faust die?
2. Who tells Faust and Helen that Menelaus has arrived with his armies?
3. Who arrives as Mephistopheles opens the ground to reveal hell in Scene 6 of Act V?
4. Why does Faust declare Lynceus's life forfeit?
5. How old is Faust at the beginning of Scene 2 in Act V?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)