|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the emperor sign at the end of Act IV?
(a) A treaty with the rival emperor.
(b) A proclamation declaring the festivities.
(c) A deed of the land to Faust.
(d) A contract with the archbishop.
2. What instrument accompanies the garden girls in Scene 3 of Act I?
3. Where does Faust meet Mephistopheles in Scene 5 of Act I?
(a) A dark corridor in the palace.
(b) In the busy grand dining hall.
(c) In a meadow.
(d) By the fountains in the gardens of the emperor.
4. What is the setting of Scene 4 in Act I?
(a) The cathedral.
(b) The city center and site of the Carnvial celebration.
(c) The countryside.
(d) The pleasure gardens of the imperial court.
5. What news does the marshal bring the emperor in the beginning of Scene 4 of Act I?
(a) He tells the emperor that all of his debts have been paid in full.
(b) He tells the emperor a civil war has broken out.
(c) He tells the emperor that the people have built a statue for him.
(d) He tells the emperor that the people are rioting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the opinion of the women of the court of Helen?
2. According to Mephistopheles, what must one possess to receive miracles?
3. Why is Wagner successful in creating the homunculus in Scene II of Act II?
4. Who comments on the workings and power of love in Scene 7 of Act V?
5. What is the name of Faust's lookout?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)