|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the woman who greets the traveler at the cottage door in Act V?
2. Who does Mephistopheles disguise himself as in Act III?
(b) A phorkyad.
3. What sound does Faust hear in Scene 2 of Act V that angers him?
(a) A trumpet of an approaching rival emperor.
(b) A lyre that reminds him of Euphorion.
(c) The whistle of Mephistopheles.
(d) Church bells ringing.
4. What has Faust offered Baucis and Philemon for their land?
(a) A hefty sum.
(b) He has offered them a mere pittance for their land.
(c) A different plot of land with a cottage.
(d) He has threatened to imprison them if they don't move.
5. What modern luxurious city does Mephistopheles describe to Faust in Scene 1 of Act IV?
(b) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ancient mythological figure does the Astrologer compare Faust with in Scene 7 of Act I?
2. How does Mephistopheles plan to take Faust's soul?
3. What is the setting of Scene 3 in Act IV?
4. Why does the woman instruct the traveler to be silent upon entering the cottage in Act V?
5. What does the emperor give the Arch-Chamberlain in Scene 3 of Act IV?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)