|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How has Mephistopheles paid people in the empire in Act I?
(a) Through paper notes signed by the emperor.
(b) He paid them with jewels from the emperor's treasure chamber.
(c) He has not paid anyone in the empire.
(d) With gold he found buried in the kingdom.
2. What sound does Faust hear in Scene 2 of Act V that angers him?
(a) A lyre that reminds him of Euphorion.
(b) Church bells ringing.
(c) A trumpet of an approaching rival emperor.
(d) The whistle of Mephistopheles.
3. As the chorus insults Mephistopheles in Act III, what is their intention?
(a) They hope to learn his name.
(b) They hope to scare him away.
(c) They hope he will lose his temper.
(d) They hope to make him laugh.
4. What is the setting in the beginning of Act II?
(a) Ancient Greece.
(b) Faust's study.
(c) The imperial court.
(d) A pleasing countryside.
5. What follows Mephistopheles and Helen as they flee at the end of Scene 1 in Act III?
(a) A dark cloud.
(c) A group of phorkyads.
(d) Several hopeful suitors for Helen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Helen go after the chorus tries to assuage her fears in Scene 1 of Act III?
2. What is the Maia the patron god of?
3. What are the female vampires called who Mephistopheles meets in Act II?
4. What ailment of the Brunette does Mephistopheles cure in Scene 6 of Act I?
5. Which famous figure did Chiron tutor?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)