|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was an earlier student of Faust that now works as his assistant?
2. Why are three men upset at Mephistopheles in Scene 2 of Act V?
(a) They are not upset with Mephistopheles, just sadened by his ideas.
(b) They think Mephistopheles has poisoned them.
(c) They are unhappy with their share of the treasure.
(d) They are jealous of Mephistopheles's comeraderie with Faust.
3. What does Helen ask Faust to teach her in Scene 2 of Act III?
(a) To speak in rhyme.
(b) To play a lute.
(c) To sing.
(d) To dance.
4. Who responds to Mephistopheles ringing the bell in Act II?
5. What does the traveler ask about during his first meal at the cottage in Act V?
(a) He asks about the circulation of paper money.
(b) He asks about the new land and empire of Faust.
(c) He asks about the welfare of their children.
(d) He asks about the recent civil war.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Faust try to dispel Paris in Scene 7 of Act I?
2. As the chorus insults Mephistopheles in Act III, what is their intention?
3. How does Faust account for the formation of mountains and valleys in Act IV?
4. What science is Wagner practicing in the laboratory when Mephistopheles comes upon him in Scene 2 of Act II?
5. According to Mephistopheles, what must one possess to receive miracles?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)