|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ancient mythological figure does the Astrologer compare Faust with in Scene 7 of Act I?
2. What does Phoebe's wheels symbolize in Act I, Scene 1?
(a) The rising moon.
(b) A thunder storm.
(c) The approach of dawn.
(d) The setting sun.
3. What follows Mephistopheles and Helen as they flee at the end of Scene 1 in Act III?
(b) Several hopeful suitors for Helen.
(c) A dark cloud.
(d) A group of phorkyads.
4. What time does Faust die?
(a) The first light of dawn.
(b) The stroke of midnight.
(c) Eleven in the morning.
(d) High noon.
5. Why does Helen promptly return to the chorus after she leaves in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) She is lonely and quickly seeks company from the chorus.
(b) She is frightened of a creature in the palace.
(c) A messenger brings her word to return.
(d) She has forgotten her shawl, which she needs to enter the temple.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Act IV, what is the outlook of the emperor in regards to his kingdom?
2. What is the name of the leader of the chorus?
3. What shape does Proteus take to transport the homunculus into the ocean on his back?
4. Who gives the prologue to Scene 3 in Act II?
5. Who is not a member of Faust's entourage that is mentioned in Scene 2 of Act III?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)