|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event prompts Anaxagoras to believe he won the philosophical debate in Scene 3 of Act II?
(a) The lunar eclipse that takes place.
(b) The appearance of volcano.
(c) The arrival of a flock of birds.
(d) The fall of a meteor, which disrupts the landscape.
2. Who is the queen of the dead as featured in Act II?
3. Who sings a song of rejuvenation to Faust?
(a) Fairies of the field.
(b) The flowers.
4. What reason does the homunculus tell Mephistopheles, to encourage him to take Faust to the classical Walpurgis Night?
(a) It is the only way for Mephistopheles to understand Faust.
(b) The homunculus believes it will be amusing.
(c) He does not give a reason, but simply demands they go.
(d) Otherwise Faust will die.
5. What happens when the emperor attempts to examine the treasure chest Faust has brought him in Scene 3 of Act I?
(a) He is attacked by a group of beggars.
(b) His beard catches fire.
(c) He goes momentarily blind.
(d) He falls asleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Faust's dream, who is the father of Helen?
2. Who must Faust go to, in order to conjure Helen and Paris?
3. What does Mephistopheles give Faust to help him on his journey to conjure Helen and Paris?
4. Where does Faust meet Mephistopheles in Scene 5 of Act I?
5. Why is Wagner successful in creating the homunculus in Scene II of Act II?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)