|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Mephistopheles place Faust at the beginning of Act II?
(a) Behind a curtain.
(b) Outside under a tree.
(c) In his scholarly robes on his bed.
(d) Under the desk.
2. Who does the Emperor ask to see in the beginning of Scene 2 of Act I?
(a) The fool.
(b) The chancellor.
(c) His wiseman.
(d) The treasurer.
3. How has Mephistopheles paid people in the empire in Act I?
(a) With gold he found buried in the kingdom.
(b) Through paper notes signed by the emperor.
(c) He has not paid anyone in the empire.
(d) He paid them with jewels from the emperor's treasure chamber.
4. What two "orders" support the throne, according to the Chancellor in Scene 2 of Act I?
(a) The clergy and the knights.
(b) The advisors and the soldiers.
(c) The soldiers and the clergy.
(d) The common people and the clergy.
5. Which figure guides the living Colossus in Scene 3 of Act I?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Faust distribute to the crowd in Scene 3 of Act I?
2. What is the setting in the beginning of Act II?
3. Who is specifically told to remain behind in his study rather than travel with the homunculus to Walpurgis Night?
4. What ancient mythological figure does the Astrologer compare Faust with in Scene 7 of Act I?
5. What holiday is the court preparing to celebrate in Act I?
This section contains 265 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)