|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what setting does Faust seek sleep in Act I?
(a) At home in his study.
(b) In a quiet cottage.
(c) A pleasing landscape.
(d) At the imperial court.
2. Who is specifically told to remain behind in his study rather than travel with the homunculus to Walpurgis Night?
3. Who tells the emperor they are out of wine in Scene 2 of Act I?
(a) The Chancellor.
(c) The Field Marshal.
(d) The Steward.
4. What is the state of Faust at the end of Act I?
(a) He has vanished with Paris and Helen.
(b) He is asleep.
(c) He is content and happily visiting with Mephistopheles.
(d) He is unconscious.
5. What does Wagner believe the sound of the bell accompanying Mephistopheles in Act II signals?
(a) Good things to come.
(b) The birth of an idea.
(c) A warning of an approaching evil.
(d) The end of the day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What science is Wagner practicing in the laboratory when Mephistopheles comes upon him in Scene 2 of Act II?
2. What reason does the homunculus tell Mephistopheles, to encourage him to take Faust to the classical Walpurgis Night?
3. What is the setting of Scene 3 in Act II?
4. What instrument accompanies the gardeners in Scene 3 of Act I?
5. How has Mephistopheles paid people in the empire in Act I?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)