|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ancient mythological figure does the Astrologer compare Faust with in Scene 7 of Act I?
2. Which despicable and noxious creatures does Mephistopheles eventually find as the true embodiment of ugliness in Act II?
3. What does Wagner believe the sound of the bell accompanying Mephistopheles in Act II signals?
(a) Good things to come.
(b) The end of the day.
(c) A warning of an approaching evil.
(d) The birth of an idea.
4. What does Mephistopheles introduce himself as to the Sphinxes and sirens?
(a) The Ultimate Riddle.
(c) The Lost Seeker.
(d) The Old Iniquity.
5. What happens when the emperor attempts to examine the treasure chest Faust has brought him in Scene 3 of Act I?
(a) His beard catches fire.
(b) He is attacked by a group of beggars.
(c) He falls asleep.
(d) He goes momentarily blind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the state of Faust at the end of Act I?
2. What does Mephistopheles give Faust to help him on his journey to conjure Helen and Paris?
3. What two "orders" support the throne, according to the Chancellor in Scene 2 of Act I?
4. What token does Mephistopheles give Lady to help her regain the affection of her lover in Scene 6 of Act I?
5. What is the job of Nereus?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)