|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Helen promptly return to the chorus after she leaves in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) She has forgotten her shawl, which she needs to enter the temple.
(b) A messenger brings her word to return.
(c) She is lonely and quickly seeks company from the chorus.
(d) She is frightened of a creature in the palace.
2. What does Mephistopheles cure the blonde woman of in Scene 6 of Act I?
3. What reason does the homunculus tell Mephistopheles, to encourage him to take Faust to the classical Walpurgis Night?
(a) It is the only way for Mephistopheles to understand Faust.
(b) Otherwise Faust will die.
(c) The homunculus believes it will be amusing.
(d) He does not give a reason, but simply demands they go.
4. Who gives the prologue to Scene 3 in Act II?
(a) The homonculus.
5. What news does the marshal bring the emperor in the beginning of Scene 4 of Act I?
(a) He tells the emperor that all of his debts have been paid in full.
(b) He tells the emperor that the people have built a statue for him.
(c) He tells the emperor that the people are rioting.
(d) He tells the emperor a civil war has broken out.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles introduce himself as to the Sphinxes and sirens?
2. Where does the prophetess instruct Faust to look for Helen in Act iI?
3. What is the eldest of the fates?
4. According to Faust's dream, who is the mother of Helen?
5. What does Mephistopheles give Faust to help him on his journey to conjure Helen and Paris?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)