|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the archbishop want the emperor to build on the land near the battlefield?
(a) A new palace.
(b) A triumphal arch.
(c) A grand church.
(d) An edifice to the fallen soldiers.
2. What science is Wagner practicing in the laboratory when Mephistopheles comes upon him in Scene 2 of Act II?
(c) Molecular Biology.
3. Why is the necromant of Sabine Norcia indebted to the emperor?
(a) The emperor has lent him a large sum of money.
(b) The emperor gave him a parcel of land.
(c) The emperor pardoned him from being burned years ago.
(d) He is the son of the emperor.
4. At the end of Act IV, what is the outlook of the emperor in regards to his kingdom?
(a) He fears it will be conquered by another rival.
(b) He is hopeful it will prosper.
(c) He fears it will be ruined by extortion of the church.
(d) He thinks things wil go back to how they were before the war.
5. What follows Mephistopheles and Helen as they flee at the end of Scene 1 in Act III?
(b) A dark cloud.
(c) A group of phorkyads.
(d) Several hopeful suitors for Helen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the archbishop accuse the emperor of being in league with in Scene 3 of Act IV?
2. What does the emperor sign at the end of Act IV?
3. What power does Mephistopheles first offer Faust in Scene 1 of Act IV?
4. Who is specifically told to remain behind in his study rather than travel with the homunculus to Walpurgis Night?
5. What is the job of Nereus?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)