|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mephistopheles asks Faust what he desires in Scene 1 of Act IV, how does Faust respond?
(a) Faust claims he does not desire anything.
(b) Faust refuses to respond to Mephistopheles's question.
(c) Faust tells Mephistopheles to guess his desires.
(d) Faust tells Mephistopheles he desires earthly powers.
2. Who was an earlier student of Faust that now works as his assistant?
3. What is the chorus doing at the beginning of Scene 3 in Act III?
4. In Act IV, what do the clouds eventually transform into in Scene 1?
(a) They completely evaporate and are formless.
(b) The form of a dove.
(c) The form of Gretchen.
(d) The form of Euphorion.
5. What does the chorus ask Mephistopheles at the beginning of Scene 3 in Act III?
(a) They ask what they should give Faust as a token of appreciation.
(b) They ask his identity.
(c) They ask where they are.
(d) They ask what has happened in their splendor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must Faust descend through to read the location given by the prophetess in Act II?
2. What power does Mephistopheles first offer Faust in Scene 1 of Act IV?
3. What drink does the arch-cupbearer plan to give the emperor at the celebrations?
4. Who responds to Mephistopheles ringing the bell in Act II?
5. Why is the necromant of Sabine Norcia indebted to the emperor?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)