|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the prophetess instruct Faust to look for Helen in Act iI?
(a) The underworld.
(b) The river Thebes.
(c) Mount Olympus.
(d) The Agean Sea.
2. What does Wagner believe the sound of the bell accompanying Mephistopheles in Act II signals?
(a) The birth of an idea.
(b) A warning of an approaching evil.
(c) The end of the day.
(d) Good things to come.
3. What event prompts Anaxagoras to believe he won the philosophical debate in Scene 3 of Act II?
(a) The lunar eclipse that takes place.
(b) The appearance of volcano.
(c) The fall of a meteor, which disrupts the landscape.
(d) The arrival of a flock of birds.
4. Who does Mephistopheles disguise himself as in Act III?
(c) A phorkyad.
5. What realization does the archbishop make about the emperor's tactics in battle?
(a) That the emperor used spies in the battle.
(b) That the emperor has used magic to win the battle.
(c) He knows nothing about the emperor's tactics.
(d) That the emperor bribed opposing troops.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Faust land at the beginning of Act IV?
2. What are the names of the two philosophers that the homunculus comes upon in Scene 3 of Act II?
3. How does the group travel with the homunculus to Walpurgis Night in Scene 2 of Act II?
4. Who is not one of the aides to Faust in Act IV?
5. Where does Mephistopheles suggest that Helen should hide at the end of Scene 1 of Act III?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)