|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles introduce himself as to the Sphinxes and sirens?
(a) The Old Iniquity.
(c) The Ultimate Riddle.
(d) The Lost Seeker.
2. What event are the advisers of the emperor excited to plan in Scene 3 of Act IV?
(a) A masked ball.
(b) A triumphant parade.
(c) A trial for the prisoners of war.
(d) A victory banquet.
3. Why does Helen promptly return to the chorus after she leaves in Scene 1 of Act III?
(a) She is frightened of a creature in the palace.
(b) She has forgotten her shawl, which she needs to enter the temple.
(c) A messenger brings her word to return.
(d) She is lonely and quickly seeks company from the chorus.
4. What does the chorus cry as Euphorion falls?
(b) Woe unto Faust.
5. What is Faust wearing when he first meets with the emperor in Act IV?
(a) Long luxurient robes.
(b) He is dressed as poor villager.
(c) Armor complete with a half-visor.
(d) He is in the classical dress of Greece.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Helen married to in Scene 1 of Act III?
2. What authority does the archbishop demand from the emperor in Scene 3 of Act IV?
3. What realization does the archbishop make about the emperor's tactics in battle?
4. As the chorus insults Mephistopheles in Act III, what is their intention?
5. How does the emperor respond when he sees Faust in Scene 2 of Act IV?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)