|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jeanne's family react to the news that the camps are closing?
2. How long after she leaves does Jeanne return to Manzanar?
3. Which organization does Jeanne try to join but is refused membership?
4. What does Papa sketch?
5. What does Manzanar mean in Spanish?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jeanne's reaction to the outside world? What double impulse does she have?
2. How does Jeanne's relationship with her father change? Who does she turn to?
3. How do Jeanne and her family feel as Woody leaves for the Army? How do others in the camp feel as the men leave?
4. What small freedoms are the people in the camp allowed as time passes? How does Jeanne feel about this?
5. Who are the first people in Jeanne's family to leave the camp? Where do the members of her family go?
6. Where does Jeanne find acceptance? Where does she not find acceptance? Who does she become friends with?
7. What three cases go to the Supreme Court? What are the decisions on them?
8. What does Jeanne find when she visits Manzanar? How does this make her feel?
9. What happens to Jeanne during her senior year of high school? What adds to Jeanne's differentness in the circumstance?
10. What is Jeanne's recurring dream? Why does this dream not come true for Jeanne?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jeanne faces many life-changing experiences in the book. What event do you think had the greatest effect on Jeanne? Why did it have the greatest effect? How did the event change Jeanne's life? Use specific examples from the book to back up your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Although they are interned, the individuals in the camps engag in small (and larger) acts of resistance against their imprisonment and the discrimination. What are some of these acts of resistance? What do the acts accomplish? Why do you think the internees use these acts of resistance?
Essay Topic 3
How do Jeanne's experiences in Manzanar color her life afterward? What does she think about herself? How do the events affect her relationships with other people? Do you think you would feel the same as Jeanne does if you experienced these circumstances?
This section contains 1,443 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)