|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which organization does Jeanne try to join but is refused membership?
2. Jeanne becomes the first person in her family to _________.
3. Where does Woody go?
4. How do Jeanne and her family deal with the memories of Manzanar?
5. Where does Jeanne complete her senior year of high school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What three cases go to the Supreme Court? What are the decisions on them?
2. What happens to Jeanne during her senior year of high school? What adds to Jeanne's differentness in the circumstance?
3. How does Papa change after the Loyalty Oath?
4. What do Jeanne and her father wait for at the firebreak? What does Mama tell them?
5. What does Jeanne fear will be the family's reception in Los Angeles? What it is actually like? How to people react to Jeanne and her family?
6. After the Loyalty Oath, what does the camp become like?
7. How do Jeanne and her family feel as Woody leaves for the Army? How do others in the camp feel as the men leave?
8. How does Jeanne's relationship with her father change? Who does she turn to?
9. What does Papa want to do after they leave Manzanar? How does he think he will accomplish this?
10. How do Mama, Papa, and the others in the camp react to the possibility of leaving the camp? What makes staying in the camp impossible?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Japanese Americans feel about the discrimination they faced after the attack on Pearl Harbor? Use specific examples from the book to illustrate your argument. How do they feel about the internment camps? Do you think you would have felt the same or differently?
Essay Topic 2
How do Jeanne's experiences in Manzanar color her life afterward? What does she think about herself? How do the events affect her relationships with other people? Do you think you would feel the same as Jeanne does if you experienced these circumstances?
Essay Topic 3
What is Jeanne's father like? How did he come to the United States and what did he experience once he arrived? How to the events in the book change him?
This section contains 1,373 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)