|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who needs to be escorted to the train station to protect them from the crowds?
2. Who does Jeanne go to more and more when she needs comfort?
3. How many of Papa's family died in the bombing of Hiroshima?
4. When Jeanne goes to Manzanar, she find everything ________.
5. Papa would be angry if Jeanne dated ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jeanne feel about leaving the camp? What does she fear?
2. What is the trip back to Los Angeles like for Jeanne's family? Why?
3. Who are the first people in Jeanne's family to leave the camp? Where do the members of her family go?
4. How does Papa change after the Loyalty Oath?
5. What is Jeanne's reaction to the outside world? What double impulse does she have?
6. What do Jeanne and her father wait for at the firebreak? What does Mama tell them?
7. How does Jeanne's relationship with her father change? Who does she turn to?
8. Where does Jeanne find acceptance? Where does she not find acceptance? Who does she become friends with?
9. What does Jeanne fear will be the family's reception in Los Angeles? What it is actually like? How to people react to Jeanne and her family?
10. What three cases go to the Supreme Court? What are the decisions on them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jeanne faces many life-changing experiences in the book. What event do you think had the greatest effect on Jeanne? Why did it have the greatest effect? How did the event change Jeanne's life? Use specific examples from the book to back up your argument.
Essay Topic 2
How do Japanese Americans feel about the discrimination they faced after the attack on Pearl Harbor? Use specific examples from the book to illustrate your argument. How do they feel about the internment camps? Do you think you would have felt the same or differently?
Essay Topic 3
Trace Jeanne's feelings about her Japanese heritage through the events of the book. Which events have an impact on her self-image? How do the events make her feel about her Japanese heritage?
This section contains 1,398 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)