|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Papa would be angry if Jeanne dated ________.
2. In 1942, the Supreme Court upholds the evacuation of Japanese-Americans due to what reason?
3. What does Jeanne fear as the camps close?
4. What does Jeanne explore that her father is against?
5. What grade does Jeanne enter in Los Angeles?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Woody realize about Papa after his visit to Papa's family?
2. What is the trip back to Los Angeles like for Jeanne's family? Why?
3. What is Jeanne's recurring dream? Why does this dream not come true for Jeanne?
4. What does Papa want to do after they leave Manzanar? How does he think he will accomplish this?
5. How do Mama, Papa, and the others in the camp react to the possibility of leaving the camp? What makes staying in the camp impossible?
6. How do Jeanne and her family feel as Woody leaves for the Army? How do others in the camp feel as the men leave?
7. Where does Jeanne find acceptance? Where does she not find acceptance? Who does she become friends with?
8. Who are the first people in Jeanne's family to leave the camp? Where do the members of her family go?
9. What do Jeanne and her father wait for at the firebreak? What does Mama tell them?
10. What three cases go to the Supreme Court? What are the decisions on them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the events that lead to the creation of Manzanar? Why do you think the government chose to create the internment camps? Do you agree or disagree with this decision? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of disloyalty runs through the events in the book. At which people or groups is this label directed? What effect does this have? Why do you think these people are thought to be disloyal? Is the assumption right or wrong? How do you think you would react to having this label placed on you?
Essay Topic 3
How do Jeanne's experiences in Manzanar color her life afterward? What does she think about herself? How do the events affect her relationships with other people? Do you think you would feel the same as Jeanne does if you experienced these circumstances?
This section contains 1,436 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)