|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jeanne close to in her younger years?
2. To what city does Eleanor move?
3. How do Jeanne and her family deal with the memories of Manzanar?
4. How does Jeanne's family react to the news that the camps are closing?
5. What does Woody bring as a gift to his father's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Papa's family react to Woody's visit? What do they show him?
2. Where does Jeanne find acceptance? Where does she not find acceptance? Who does she become friends with?
3. After the Loyalty Oath, what does the camp become like?
4. What is Jeanne's recurring dream? Why does this dream not come true for Jeanne?
5. As she ages, how does Jeanne feel about Manzanar? How does she deal with her time there?
6. What does Woody realize about Papa after his visit to Papa's family?
7. What small freedoms are the people in the camp allowed as time passes? How does Jeanne feel about this?
8. What does Jeanne find when she visits Manzanar? How does this make her feel?
9. What is Jeanne's reaction to the outside world? What double impulse does she have?
10. How does Papa change after the Loyalty Oath?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Jeanne's experiences in Manzanar color her life afterward? What does she think about herself? How do the events affect her relationships with other people? Do you think you would feel the same as Jeanne does if you experienced these circumstances?
Essay Topic 2
Although they are interned, the individuals in the camps engag in small (and larger) acts of resistance against their imprisonment and the discrimination. What are some of these acts of resistance? What do the acts accomplish? Why do you think the internees use these acts of resistance?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the discrimination that Japanese Americans faced after the attack on Pearl Harbor. How did Japanese Americans react to the discrimination? What effect did the discrimination have on Japanese-Americans?
This section contains 1,309 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)