|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jeanne and her father are in the firebreak waiting for what?
2. Who tells Woody that he looks like his father?
3. What is the greatest difficulty that the family faces in L.A.?
4. To what area does most of the family move?
5. In 1942, the Supreme Court upholds the evacuation of Japanese-Americans due to what reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Mama, Papa, and the others in the camp react to the possibility of leaving the camp? What makes staying in the camp impossible?
2. What small freedoms are the people in the camp allowed as time passes? How does Jeanne feel about this?
3. How do Jeanne and her family feel as Woody leaves for the Army? How do others in the camp feel as the men leave?
4. Where does Jeanne find acceptance? Where does she not find acceptance? Who does she become friends with?
5. Who are the first people in Jeanne's family to leave the camp? Where do the members of her family go?
6. What does Jeanne find when she visits Manzanar? How does this make her feel?
7. What is Jeanne's recurring dream? Why does this dream not come true for Jeanne?
8. What does Jeanne fear will be the family's reception in Los Angeles? What it is actually like? How to people react to Jeanne and her family?
9. How does Jeanne's relationship with her father change? Who does she turn to?
10. What activities does Jeanne try? How does she feel about each?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jeanne is a child while the family lives in Manzanar. How do you think the camp experience is different for different age groups? Use examples from the book to back up your answers. Who had the toughest time at the camp? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What was the purpose of the internment camps? Dido they fulfill their purpose? Why or why not? Do you think the camps were right? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How do the individuals at Manzanar try to improve the camp? What things do they do to make life more normal? Why do you think they do these things? Are the efforts successful or not? Why?
This section contains 1,378 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)