|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Jeanne and her family deal with the memories of Manzanar?
2. Why can't Jeanne participate in the odori lessons?
3. What is Jeanne named during her senior year?
4. What grade does Jeanne enter in Los Angeles?
5. What does Mama announce to Papa and Jeanne?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Papa's family react to Woody's visit? What do they show him?
2. After the Loyalty Oath, what does the camp become like?
3. What is the trip back to Los Angeles like for Jeanne's family? Why?
4. What does Jeanne find when she visits Manzanar? How does this make her feel?
5. How do Mama, Papa, and the others in the camp react to the possibility of leaving the camp? What makes staying in the camp impossible?
6. What happens to Jeanne during her senior year of high school? What adds to Jeanne's differentness in the circumstance?
7. What does Jeanne fear will be the family's reception in Los Angeles? What it is actually like? How to people react to Jeanne and her family?
8. What is Jeanne's recurring dream? Why does this dream not come true for Jeanne?
9. How do Jeanne and her family feel as Woody leaves for the Army? How do others in the camp feel as the men leave?
10. What do Jeanne and her father wait for at the firebreak? What does Mama tell them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jeanne faces many life-changing experiences in the book. What event do you think had the greatest effect on Jeanne? Why did it have the greatest effect? How did the event change Jeanne's life? Use specific examples from the book to back up your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the discrimination that Japanese Americans faced after the attack on Pearl Harbor. How did Japanese Americans react to the discrimination? What effect did the discrimination have on Japanese-Americans?
Essay Topic 3
What was the purpose of the internment camps? Dido they fulfill their purpose? Why or why not? Do you think the camps were right? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,348 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)