|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jeanne's family react to the news that the camps are closing?
2. To what city does Eleanor move?
3. What does Manzanar mean in Spanish?
4. Why can't Jeanne participate in the odori lessons?
5. Where does Jeanne complete her senior year of high school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What activities does Jeanne try? How does she feel about each?
2. What happens to Jeanne during her senior year of high school? What adds to Jeanne's differentness in the circumstance?
3. As she ages, how does Jeanne feel about Manzanar? How does she deal with her time there?
4. What does Jeanne find when she visits Manzanar? How does this make her feel?
5. What does Woody realize about Papa after his visit to Papa's family?
6. What is Jeanne's reaction to the outside world? What double impulse does she have?
7. What three cases go to the Supreme Court? What are the decisions on them?
8. How do Papa's family react to Woody's visit? What do they show him?
9. How does Jeanne's relationship with her father change? Who does she turn to?
10. What does Jeanne fear will be the family's reception in Los Angeles? What it is actually like? How to people react to Jeanne and her family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is life like in Manzanar? Describe the physical and emotional feelings of the camp. What effects does the camp have on internees? Use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
How do the individuals at Manzanar try to improve the camp? What things do they do to make life more normal? Why do you think they do these things? Are the efforts successful or not? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Jeanne faces many life-changing experiences in the book. What event do you think had the greatest effect on Jeanne? Why did it have the greatest effect? How did the event change Jeanne's life? Use specific examples from the book to back up your argument.
This section contains 1,586 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)