|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jeanne explore that her father is against?
2. What closes permanently in July of 1945?
3. Who needs to be escorted to the train station to protect them from the crowds?
4. What is Jeanne named during her senior year?
5. Who does Jeanne go to more and more when she needs comfort?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the first people in Jeanne's family to leave the camp? Where do the members of her family go?
2. What does Jeanne fear will be the family's reception in Los Angeles? What it is actually like? How to people react to Jeanne and her family?
3. How does Jeanne feel about leaving the camp? What does she fear?
4. What small freedoms are the people in the camp allowed as time passes? How does Jeanne feel about this?
5. What happens to Jeanne during her senior year of high school? What adds to Jeanne's differentness in the circumstance?
6. What is Jeanne's recurring dream? Why does this dream not come true for Jeanne?
7. What does Jeanne find when she visits Manzanar? How does this make her feel?
8. As she ages, how does Jeanne feel about Manzanar? How does she deal with her time there?
9. How do Jeanne and her family feel as Woody leaves for the Army? How do others in the camp feel as the men leave?
10. What does Woody realize about Papa after his visit to Papa's family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Jeanne and her family feel about Manzanar? Why do you think they feel this way? How are their feelings contradictory? How do you think you would feel in the same situation?
Essay Topic 2
What happened at the reservoir shack on the night of the December Riot? Who was present? Why do you think the people present felt the way that they did? Do you think you would feel similarly if you had been there that night? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Jeanne faces many life-changing experiences in the book. What event do you think had the greatest effect on Jeanne? Why did it have the greatest effect? How did the event change Jeanne's life? Use specific examples from the book to back up your argument.
This section contains 1,385 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)