|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is there a housing shortage on the West Coast?
2. What closes permanently in July of 1945?
3. Where does Papa lease land?
4. What hobby does Papa begin to do?
5. What does Jeanne explore that her father is against?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Papa's family react to Woody's visit? What do they show him?
2. What happens to Jeanne during her senior year of high school? What adds to Jeanne's differentness in the circumstance?
3. What three cases go to the Supreme Court? What are the decisions on them?
4. What does Papa want to do after they leave Manzanar? How does he think he will accomplish this?
5. What activities does Jeanne try? How does she feel about each?
6. Where does Jeanne find acceptance? Where does she not find acceptance? Who does she become friends with?
7. How do Jeanne and her family feel as Woody leaves for the Army? How do others in the camp feel as the men leave?
8. How does Papa change after the Loyalty Oath?
9. What does Woody realize about Papa after his visit to Papa's family?
10. How do Mama, Papa, and the others in the camp react to the possibility of leaving the camp? What makes staying in the camp impossible?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jeanne is a child while the family lives in Manzanar. How do you think the camp experience is different for different age groups? Use examples from the book to back up your answers. Who had the toughest time at the camp? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Jeanne's family. Which member of the family do you think does the most to hold everyone together? Why? Which family member presents the most challenges to the family? Why? To whom is Jeanne closest? Why do you think this is the case?
Essay Topic 3
Jeanne faces many life-changing experiences in the book. What event do you think had the greatest effect on Jeanne? Why did it have the greatest effect? How did the event change Jeanne's life? Use specific examples from the book to back up your argument.
This section contains 1,558 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)