|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jeanne go to more and more when she needs comfort?
2. What grade does Jeanne enter in Los Angeles?
3. What does Jeanne explore that her father is against?
4. Where does Mama go to work?
5. What hobby does Papa begin to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Jeanne during her senior year of high school? What adds to Jeanne's differentness in the circumstance?
2. What is Jeanne's reaction to the outside world? What double impulse does she have?
3. Who are the first people in Jeanne's family to leave the camp? Where do the members of her family go?
4. What is the trip back to Los Angeles like for Jeanne's family? Why?
5. How do Papa's family react to Woody's visit? What do they show him?
6. What three cases go to the Supreme Court? What are the decisions on them?
7. How does Papa change after the Loyalty Oath?
8. How do Mama, Papa, and the others in the camp react to the possibility of leaving the camp? What makes staying in the camp impossible?
9. How does Jeanne feel about leaving the camp? What does she fear?
10. After the Loyalty Oath, what does the camp become like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the events that lead to the creation of Manzanar? Why do you think the government chose to create the internment camps? Do you agree or disagree with this decision? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Although they are interned, the individuals in the camps engag in small (and larger) acts of resistance against their imprisonment and the discrimination. What are some of these acts of resistance? What do the acts accomplish? Why do you think the internees use these acts of resistance?
Essay Topic 3
What is life like in Manzanar? Describe the physical and emotional feelings of the camp. What effects does the camp have on internees? Use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,325 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)