|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who breaks the dam of Jeanne's memories about Manzanar?
2. When Jeanne goes to Manzanar, she find everything ________.
3. Who is the first of the family to leave?
4. What grade does Jeanne enter in Los Angeles?
5. What does Jeanne explore that her father is against?
Short Essay Questions
1. What three cases go to the Supreme Court? What are the decisions on them?
2. What is Jeanne's reaction to the outside world? What double impulse does she have?
3. As she ages, how does Jeanne feel about Manzanar? How does she deal with her time there?
4. What small freedoms are the people in the camp allowed as time passes? How does Jeanne feel about this?
5. What do Jeanne and her father wait for at the firebreak? What does Mama tell them?
6. What does Woody realize about Papa after his visit to Papa's family?
7. How do Papa's family react to Woody's visit? What do they show him?
8. How does Jeanne feel about leaving the camp? What does she fear?
9. Who are the first people in Jeanne's family to leave the camp? Where do the members of her family go?
10. What does Jeanne fear will be the family's reception in Los Angeles? What it is actually like? How to people react to Jeanne and her family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the camps affect family life for the internees? What aspects of the camp affect Jeanne's family? How does her family change from the outside world to internment in the camps? Are they able to put the family back the way it was when they are released from the camp?
Essay Topic 2
How do Japanese Americans feel about the discrimination they faced after the attack on Pearl Harbor? Use specific examples from the book to illustrate your argument. How do they feel about the internment camps? Do you think you would have felt the same or differently?
Essay Topic 3
What is life like in Manzanar? Describe the physical and emotional feelings of the camp. What effects does the camp have on internees? Use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,441 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)