|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Woody go?
2. Jeanne goes to the first campground when she is in what grade?
3. Jeanne's family moves closer to what in the camp?
4. What is the 442nd Combat Regiment?
5. In 1942, the Supreme Court upholds the evacuation of Japanese-Americans due to what reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jeanne's recurring dream? Why does this dream not come true for Jeanne?
2. How do Papa's family react to Woody's visit? What do they show him?
3. Who are the first people in Jeanne's family to leave the camp? Where do the members of her family go?
4. What activities does Jeanne try? How does she feel about each?
5. As she ages, how does Jeanne feel about Manzanar? How does she deal with her time there?
6. What is the trip back to Los Angeles like for Jeanne's family? Why?
7. How does Papa change after the Loyalty Oath?
8. What do Jeanne and her father wait for at the firebreak? What does Mama tell them?
9. What does Woody realize about Papa after his visit to Papa's family?
10. What small freedoms are the people in the camp allowed as time passes? How does Jeanne feel about this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jeanne faces many life-changing experiences in the book. What event do you think had the greatest effect on Jeanne? Why did it have the greatest effect? How did the event change Jeanne's life? Use specific examples from the book to back up your argument.
Essay Topic 2
How do Jeanne and her family feel about Manzanar? Why do you think they feel this way? How are their feelings contradictory? How do you think you would feel in the same situation?
Essay Topic 3
Trace Jeanne's feelings about her Japanese heritage through the events of the book. Which events have an impact on her self-image? How do the events make her feel about her Japanese heritage?
This section contains 1,368 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)