|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jeanne's return to school and outside life like?
2. How many rooms does the family's new unit have?
3. Where does Woody go?
4. How long after she leaves does Jeanne return to Manzanar?
5. What does Mama announce to Papa and Jeanne?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jeanne find when she visits Manzanar? How does this make her feel?
2. As she ages, how does Jeanne feel about Manzanar? How does she deal with her time there?
3. What does Woody realize about Papa after his visit to Papa's family?
4. How do Papa's family react to Woody's visit? What do they show him?
5. What do Jeanne and her father wait for at the firebreak? What does Mama tell them?
6. How does Jeanne feel about leaving the camp? What does she fear?
7. What activities does Jeanne try? How does she feel about each?
8. What three cases go to the Supreme Court? What are the decisions on them?
9. How do Mama, Papa, and the others in the camp react to the possibility of leaving the camp? What makes staying in the camp impossible?
10. What does Jeanne fear will be the family's reception in Los Angeles? What it is actually like? How to people react to Jeanne and her family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the camps affect family life for the internees? What aspects of the camp affect Jeanne's family? How does her family change from the outside world to internment in the camps? Are they able to put the family back the way it was when they are released from the camp?
Essay Topic 2
What is the Loyalty Oath? How do the people in the camp react to it? Why does it cause so much controversy? How do you think you would have reacted to it?
Essay Topic 3
Jeanne faces many life-changing experiences in the book. What event do you think had the greatest effect on Jeanne? Why did it have the greatest effect? How did the event change Jeanne's life? Use specific examples from the book to back up your argument.
This section contains 1,514 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)