|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jeanne complete her senior year of high school?
2. When does the Supreme Court vote that loyal citizens cannot be detained against their will by the government?
3. What does the experience of visiting the family show Woody?
4. Where does Jeanne find that she is accepted?
5. Jeanne goes to the first campground when she is in what grade?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Woody realize about Papa after his visit to Papa's family?
2. What three cases go to the Supreme Court? What are the decisions on them?
3. How do Jeanne and her family feel as Woody leaves for the Army? How do others in the camp feel as the men leave?
4. What does Papa want to do after they leave Manzanar? How does he think he will accomplish this?
5. How do Mama, Papa, and the others in the camp react to the possibility of leaving the camp? What makes staying in the camp impossible?
6. How do Papa's family react to Woody's visit? What do they show him?
7. What does Jeanne fear will be the family's reception in Los Angeles? What it is actually like? How to people react to Jeanne and her family?
8. What does Jeanne find when she visits Manzanar? How does this make her feel?
9. What activities does Jeanne try? How does she feel about each?
10. How does Jeanne feel about leaving the camp? What does she fear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the individuals at Manzanar try to improve the camp? What things do they do to make life more normal? Why do you think they do these things? Are the efforts successful or not? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Jeanne faces many life-changing experiences in the book. What event do you think had the greatest effect on Jeanne? Why did it have the greatest effect? How did the event change Jeanne's life? Use specific examples from the book to back up your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the discrimination that Japanese Americans faced after the attack on Pearl Harbor. How did Japanese Americans react to the discrimination? What effect did the discrimination have on Japanese-Americans?
This section contains 1,571 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)