|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which organization does Jeanne try to join but is refused membership?
2. When does the Supreme Court vote that loyal citizens cannot be detained against their will by the government?
3. By the end of 1944, about how many people are left at Manzanar?
4. What closes permanently in July of 1945?
5. How do Jeanne and her family deal with the memories of Manzanar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Jeanne find acceptance? Where does she not find acceptance? Who does she become friends with?
2. How does Papa change after the Loyalty Oath?
3. What three cases go to the Supreme Court? What are the decisions on them?
4. How do Papa's family react to Woody's visit? What do they show him?
5. As she ages, how does Jeanne feel about Manzanar? How does she deal with her time there?
6. What does Jeanne fear will be the family's reception in Los Angeles? What it is actually like? How to people react to Jeanne and her family?
7. How does Jeanne feel about leaving the camp? What does she fear?
8. What do Jeanne and her father wait for at the firebreak? What does Mama tell them?
9. What activities does Jeanne try? How does she feel about each?
10. How does Jeanne's relationship with her father change? Who does she turn to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Jeanne and her family feel about Manzanar? Why do you think they feel this way? How are their feelings contradictory? How do you think you would feel in the same situation?
Essay Topic 2
What was the December Riot? What were people upset about? What happened during the riot? Do you think the people were right to feel the way that they did? How do you think you would feel in a similar circumstance? Why?
Essay Topic 3
How do the individuals at Manzanar try to improve the camp? What things do they do to make life more normal? Why do you think they do these things? Are the efforts successful or not? Why?
This section contains 1,483 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)