|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jeanne goes to the first campground when she is in what grade?
2. With whom does Jeanne make friends?
3. How many rooms does the family's new unit have?
4. What does Papa grow on the land he leases?
5. What is the greatest difficulty that the family faces in L.A.?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Papa want to do after they leave Manzanar? How does he think he will accomplish this?
2. What do Jeanne and her father wait for at the firebreak? What does Mama tell them?
3. What three cases go to the Supreme Court? What are the decisions on them?
4. What activities does Jeanne try? How does she feel about each?
5. What is the trip back to Los Angeles like for Jeanne's family? Why?
6. How does Papa change after the Loyalty Oath?
7. As she ages, how does Jeanne feel about Manzanar? How does she deal with her time there?
8. Who are the first people in Jeanne's family to leave the camp? Where do the members of her family go?
9. What does Jeanne fear will be the family's reception in Los Angeles? What it is actually like? How to people react to Jeanne and her family?
10. What happens to Jeanne during her senior year of high school? What adds to Jeanne's differentness in the circumstance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happened at the reservoir shack on the night of the December Riot? Who was present? Why do you think the people present felt the way that they did? Do you think you would feel similarly if you had been there that night? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of disloyalty runs through the events in the book. At which people or groups is this label directed? What effect does this have? Why do you think these people are thought to be disloyal? Is the assumption right or wrong? How do you think you would react to having this label placed on you?
Essay Topic 3
What discrimination does Jeanne face in school after the family returns to Los Angeles? Where does she feel accepted? Where does she not feel accepted? What recurring dream does she have? Why do you think Jeanne never fulfills this dream?
This section contains 1,586 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)