|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the experience of visiting the family show Woody?
2. How long after she leaves does Jeanne return to Manzanar?
3. Where does Jeanne complete her senior year of high school?
4. Jeanne's family moves closer to what in the camp?
5. What is Jeanne reminded of when Woody leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. As she ages, how does Jeanne feel about Manzanar? How does she deal with her time there?
2. Who are the first people in Jeanne's family to leave the camp? Where do the members of her family go?
3. How does Jeanne's relationship with her father change? Who does she turn to?
4. How do Mama, Papa, and the others in the camp react to the possibility of leaving the camp? What makes staying in the camp impossible?
5. What is the trip back to Los Angeles like for Jeanne's family? Why?
6. What does Jeanne fear will be the family's reception in Los Angeles? What it is actually like? How to people react to Jeanne and her family?
7. What is Jeanne's recurring dream? Why does this dream not come true for Jeanne?
8. What do Jeanne and her father wait for at the firebreak? What does Mama tell them?
9. After the Loyalty Oath, what does the camp become like?
10. What three cases go to the Supreme Court? What are the decisions on them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Trace Jeanne's feelings about her Japanese heritage through the events of the book. Which events have an impact on her self-image? How do the events make her feel about her Japanese heritage?
Essay Topic 2
What was the December Riot? What were people upset about? What happened during the riot? Do you think the people were right to feel the way that they did? How do you think you would feel in a similar circumstance? Why?
Essay Topic 3
How do Jeanne's experiences in Manzanar color her life afterward? What does she think about herself? How do the events affect her relationships with other people? Do you think you would feel the same as Jeanne does if you experienced these circumstances?
This section contains 1,373 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)