|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Papa would be angry if Jeanne dated ________.
2. What is Jeanne's return to school and outside life like?
3. Jeanne feels sorry for the teacher of which lessons?
4. Jeanne's family moves closer to what in the camp?
5. What does Papa want to build?
Short Essay Questions
1. As she ages, how does Jeanne feel about Manzanar? How does she deal with her time there?
2. What happens to Jeanne during her senior year of high school? What adds to Jeanne's differentness in the circumstance?
3. What activities does Jeanne try? How does she feel about each?
4. Who are the first people in Jeanne's family to leave the camp? Where do the members of her family go?
5. What is Jeanne's reaction to the outside world? What double impulse does she have?
6. What do Jeanne and her father wait for at the firebreak? What does Mama tell them?
7. What does Papa want to do after they leave Manzanar? How does he think he will accomplish this?
8. What small freedoms are the people in the camp allowed as time passes? How does Jeanne feel about this?
9. What is Jeanne's recurring dream? Why does this dream not come true for Jeanne?
10. What does Jeanne fear will be the family's reception in Los Angeles? What it is actually like? How to people react to Jeanne and her family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jeanne is a child while the family lives in Manzanar. How do you think the camp experience is different for different age groups? Use examples from the book to back up your answers. Who had the toughest time at the camp? Why?
Essay Topic 2
How do Japanese Americans feel about the discrimination they faced after the attack on Pearl Harbor? Use specific examples from the book to illustrate your argument. How do they feel about the internment camps? Do you think you would have felt the same or differently?
Essay Topic 3
What discrimination does Jeanne face in school after the family returns to Los Angeles? Where does she feel accepted? Where does she not feel accepted? What recurring dream does she have? Why do you think Jeanne never fulfills this dream?
This section contains 1,410 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)