|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What grade does Jeanne enter in Los Angeles?
2. Jeanne becomes the first person in her family to _________.
3. With whom does Jeanne make friends?
4. What is the 442nd Combat Regiment?
5. What closes permanently in July of 1945?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Jeanne and her family feel as Woody leaves for the Army? How do others in the camp feel as the men leave?
2. What is Jeanne's recurring dream? Why does this dream not come true for Jeanne?
3. What is Jeanne's reaction to the outside world? What double impulse does she have?
4. As she ages, how does Jeanne feel about Manzanar? How does she deal with her time there?
5. How do Mama, Papa, and the others in the camp react to the possibility of leaving the camp? What makes staying in the camp impossible?
6. After the Loyalty Oath, what does the camp become like?
7. What does Jeanne find when she visits Manzanar? How does this make her feel?
8. What activities does Jeanne try? How does she feel about each?
9. Where does Jeanne find acceptance? Where does she not find acceptance? Who does she become friends with?
10. How does Jeanne's relationship with her father change? Who does she turn to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jeanne faces many life-changing experiences in the book. What event do you think had the greatest effect on Jeanne? Why did it have the greatest effect? How did the event change Jeanne's life? Use specific examples from the book to back up your argument.
Essay Topic 2
What is the Loyalty Oath? How do the people in the camp react to it? Why does it cause so much controversy? How do you think you would have reacted to it?
Essay Topic 3
How do Jeanne's experiences in Manzanar color her life afterward? What does she think about herself? How do the events affect her relationships with other people? Do you think you would feel the same as Jeanne does if you experienced these circumstances?
This section contains 1,317 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)