|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What helps alleviate the overcrowding in the camp?
(a) The Loyalty Oath
(b) The addition of five more camps for the detainees
(c) The expansion of the camp by one mile
(d) The influenza epidemic
2. What does Papa sketch?
(a) The mountains
(b) His children
(c) The orchard
(d) The barbed wire fence
3. Where does Woody serve in the military?
4. Who tells Woody that he looks like his father?
(a) Aunt Lee
(b) Aunt Toyo
(c) Aunt Chizu
(d) Uncle Ko
5. What closes permanently in July of 1945?
(a) The Manzanar camp
(b) The mess hall at Manzanar
(c) The schools at Manzanar
(d) The draft for Japanese American soldiers
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Papa want to build?
2. Jeanne feels sorry for the teacher of which lessons?
3. What is the greatest difficulty that the family faces in L.A.?
4. What hobby does Papa begin to do?
5. What does Mama announce to Papa and Jeanne?
Short Essay Questions
1. As she ages, how does Jeanne feel about Manzanar? How does she deal with her time there?
2. How does Papa change after the Loyalty Oath?
3. What does Papa want to do after they leave Manzanar? How does he think he will accomplish this?
4. What is Jeanne's recurring dream? Why does this dream not come true for Jeanne?
5. What is the trip back to Los Angeles like for Jeanne's family? Why?
6. What activities does Jeanne try? How does she feel about each?
7. What does Woody realize about Papa after his visit to Papa's family?
8. How does Jeanne's relationship with her father change? Who does she turn to?
9. What do Jeanne and her father wait for at the firebreak? What does Mama tell them?
10. What is Jeanne's reaction to the outside world? What double impulse does she have?
This section contains 1,352 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)