|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Woody's wife?
2. What does Manzanar mean in Spanish?
(a) Cold wind
(b) Windswept mountain
(c) Green valley
(d) Apple orchard
3. With whom does Jeanne make friends?
4. How do Jeanne and her family deal with the memories of Manzanar?
(a) They go to therapy
(b) They write about their experiences in a family journal
(c) They discuss their experiences at family gatherings
(d) They don't talk about Manzanar
5. By the end of 1944, about how many people are left at Manzanar?
6. What helps alleviate the overcrowding in the camp?
(a) The addition of five more camps for the detainees
(b) The Loyalty Oath
(c) The expansion of the camp by one mile
(d) The influenza epidemic
7. What does Papa want to build?
(a) A boat
(b) A housing project
(c) A better bond with Jeanne
(d) A Japanese civil rights organization
8. Who is the first of the family to leave?
(a) Eleanor, Shig and their baby son
(b) Mama, Papa and Jeanne
(c) Granny and Kiyo
(d) Woody and his wife
9. At what lessons does Jeanne succeed?
(a) Baton twirling
10. Where does Woody go?
(a) 442nd Combat Regiment
(b) San Francisco
(d) Terminal Island
11. What is the 442nd Combat Regiment?
(a) An all Japanese unit
(b) A front line unit in Japan
(c) An all California unit
(d) A specialized naval unit
12. How does Papa decide that the family is going to travel back to Los Angeles?
(a) By plane
(b) By car
(c) By bus
(d) By train
13. What does the experience of visiting the family show Woody?
(a) That his family in America is nothing like his family in Japan
(b) That his father lied about his family
(c) That he is proud of his father
(d) That Woody belongs in Japan
14. Jeanne's family moves closer to what in the camp?
(a) The main gate
(b) The mess hall
(c) The reservoir shack
(d) The hospital
15. Which organization does Jeanne try to join but is refused membership?
(c) Girl Scouts
(d) National Honor Society
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the family find housing?
2. What closes permanently in July of 1945?
3. Jeanne and her father are in the firebreak waiting for what?
4. How many of Papa's family died in the bombing of Hiroshima?
5. How many rooms does the family's new unit have?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)