|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Woody bring as a gift to his father's family?
(b) A radio
2. Why is there a housing shortage on the West Coast?
(a) Japanese American houses are burned after the evacuation
(b) Most of the available land is already used up
(c) People move there to help with the war effort
(d) Many houses are bombed
3. What would Jeanne be horrified about if anyone asked her out on a date?
(a) Papa's behavior
(b) The apartment the family lives in
(c) Her Japanese ancestry
(d) Her lack of money
4. To what area does most of the family move?
(a) The East Coast
(d) The South
5. When does the Supreme Court vote that loyal citizens cannot be detained against their will by the government?
6. Jeanne's family moves closer to what in the camp?
(a) The reservoir shack
(b) The mess hall
(c) The main gate
(d) The hospital
7. Jeanne becomes the first person in her family to _________.
(a) Get married to a Caucasian
(b) Graduate from college
(c) Get a divorce
(d) Have twins
8. What worries Papa after the bombing of Hiroshima?
(a) He fears all of his family is lost
(b) He worries that he will be drafted into the military
(c) He fears that Japan will retaliate
(d) He worries about having to stay in the camp
9. Who breaks the dam of Jeanne's memories about Manzanar?
(a) A camp official
(b) Jeanne's husband
(c) A Caucasian photographer from the camps
10. What does the experience of visiting the family show Woody?
(a) That his father lied about his family
(b) That Woody belongs in Japan
(c) That his family in America is nothing like his family in Japan
(d) That he is proud of his father
11. How many rooms does the family's new unit have?
12. What does Papa grow on the land he leases?
13. Who does Jeanne go to more and more when she needs comfort?
(a) Woody and his wife
(b) Kiyo and Ryan
14. What date does the government set for final closure of the camp?
(a) April 15
(b) October 31
(c) June 21
(d) December 1
15. What does Papa sketch?
(a) His children
(b) The mountains
(c) The barbed wire fence
(d) The orchard
Short Answer Questions
1. At what lessons does Jeanne succeed?
2. Who tells Woody that he looks like his father?
3. How many members of the family go to Los Angeles?
4. Who is Woody's wife?
5. What is Jeanne named during her senior year?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)