|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Jeanne and her family deal with the memories of Manzanar?
(a) They go to therapy
(b) They don't talk about Manzanar
(c) They write about their experiences in a family journal
(d) They discuss their experiences at family gatherings
2. Who is Woody's wife?
3. What does the experience of visiting the family show Woody?
(a) That he is proud of his father
(b) That Woody belongs in Japan
(c) That his family in America is nothing like his family in Japan
(d) That his father lied about his family
4. When does the Supreme Court vote that loyal citizens cannot be detained against their will by the government?
5. Who is Jeanne's oldest sister?
6. Why is there a housing shortage on the West Coast?
(a) Many houses are bombed
(b) Most of the available land is already used up
(c) People move there to help with the war effort
(d) Japanese American houses are burned after the evacuation
7. What is Jeanne's return to school and outside life like?
8. How does Jeanne perceive Manzanar?
(a) Something to talk to others about
(b) A great part of her history
(c) A reason to be filled with shame
(d) A rally cry to change the laws
9. What is the greatest difficulty that the family faces in L.A.?
(a) Finding somewhere to live
(b) Getting their possessions out of storage
(c) Jeanne getting into school
(d) Finding their way around town
10. Why can't Jeanne participate in the odori lessons?
(a) She doesn't speak Japanese
(b) She is too tall
(c) Her father doesn't want her too
(d) She thinks it is too Japanese
11. What worries Papa after the bombing of Hiroshima?
(a) He worries about having to stay in the camp
(b) He fears all of his family is lost
(c) He fears that Japan will retaliate
(d) He worries that he will be drafted into the military
12. Who is Jeanne close to in her younger years?
13. What date does the government set for final closure of the camp?
(a) October 31
(b) December 1
(c) June 21
(d) April 15
14. By the end of 1944, about how many people are left at Manzanar?
15. When Jeanne goes to Manzanar, she find everything ________.
(a) Exactly as they had left it
(b) Restored to what it was like when they arrived
(d) Run down
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Papa want to build?
2. Papa would be angry if Jeanne dated ________.
3. At what lessons does Jeanne succeed?
4. With whom does Jeanne make friends?
5. To what area does most of the family move?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)