|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Jeanne and her family deal with the memories of Manzanar?
(a) They go to therapy
(b) They write about their experiences in a family journal
(c) They don't talk about Manzanar
(d) They discuss their experiences at family gatherings
2. What ends all hope for staying at Manzanar?
(a) Bombing of Hiroshima
(b) The assignation of the General in charge of the camps
(c) Fire in the camps
(d) The water main breaks
3. To what area does most of the family move?
(b) The East Coast
(c) The South
4. Where does the family find housing?
(a) A trailer
(b) A house
(c) An apartment
(d) A barn
5. Where does Woody serve in the military?
6. In 1942, the Supreme Court upholds the evacuation of Japanese-Americans due to what reason?
(a) Japanese spying
(b) German internment camps
(c) Wartime necessity
(d) Japanese American protection
7. How does Jeanne's family react to the news that the camps are closing?
(a) They are excited to leave
(b) They don't want to leave the camp
(c) They want the family to stay together
(d) They have mixed feelings about it
8. At what lessons does Jeanne succeed?
(c) Baton twirling
9. What does Mama announce to Papa and Jeanne?
(a) Woody has been killed
(b) Eleanor has a baby boy
(c) The United States has defeated Japan
(d) The camp is closing
10. Jeanne becomes the first person in her family to _________.
(a) Get married to a Caucasian
(b) Graduate from college
(c) Get a divorce
(d) Have twins
11. How does Jeanne perceive Manzanar?
(a) A great part of her history
(b) A rally cry to change the laws
(c) A reason to be filled with shame
(d) Something to talk to others about
12. Where does Jeanne complete her senior year of high school?
(a) San Diego
(b) Los Angeles
(c) San Jose
(d) Palm Springs
13. How many members of the family go to Los Angeles?
14. Who needs to be escorted to the train station to protect them from the crowds?
(a) May and her family
(b) Woody's wife and children
(c) Jeanne and her parents
(d) Kiyo and Granny
15. Why can't Jeanne participate in the odori lessons?
(a) She is too tall
(b) Her father doesn't want her too
(c) She thinks it is too Japanese
(d) She doesn't speak Japanese
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jeanne fear as the camps close?
2. What does Woody bring as a gift to his father's family?
3. When does the Supreme Court vote that loyal citizens cannot be detained against their will by the government?
4. Which organization does Jeanne try to join but is refused membership?
5. What would Jeanne be horrified about if anyone asked her out on a date?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)