|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ends all hope for staying at Manzanar?
(a) The assignation of the General in charge of the camps
(b) The water main breaks
(c) Bombing of Hiroshima
(d) Fire in the camps
2. When does the Supreme Court vote that loyal citizens cannot be detained against their will by the government?
3. How does Jeanne perceive Manzanar?
(a) A rally cry to change the laws
(b) A reason to be filled with shame
(c) Something to talk to others about
(d) A great part of her history
4. How many of Papa's family died in the bombing of Hiroshima?
5. Why is there a housing shortage on the West Coast?
(a) People move there to help with the war effort
(b) Many houses are bombed
(c) Most of the available land is already used up
(d) Japanese American houses are burned after the evacuation
6. Jeanne becomes the first person in her family to _________.
(a) Get married to a Caucasian
(b) Graduate from college
(c) Have twins
(d) Get a divorce
7. What closes permanently in July of 1945?
(a) The Manzanar camp
(b) The schools at Manzanar
(c) The mess hall at Manzanar
(d) The draft for Japanese American soldiers
8. Why did the family erect a gravestone with Papa's name on it?
(a) They are told he died in a fishing accident.
(b) They do this for anyone who leaves the country.
(c) They disown him.
(d) They hadn't heard from him and do not know if he iss still alive.
9. By the end of 1944, about how many people are left at Manzanar?
10. What does Jeanne fear as the camps close?
(a) Having to stay at the camp
(b) Living on the East Coast
(c) The future
(d) Leaving her friends
11. What date does the government set for final closure of the camp?
(a) June 21
(b) October 31
(c) December 1
(d) April 15
12. How does Papa decide that the family is going to travel back to Los Angeles?
(a) By car
(b) By train
(c) By plane
(d) By bus
13. Where does Woody go?
(a) 442nd Combat Regiment
(b) San Francisco
(d) Terminal Island
14. When Jeanne goes to Manzanar, she find everything ________.
(a) Exactly as they had left it
(b) Restored to what it was like when they arrived
(c) Run down
15. What hobby does Jeanne try that she comes to believe is a horrible abuse of the body?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Woody bring as a gift to his father's family?
2. What is Jeanne named during her senior year?
3. Where does Mama go to work?
4. What does Papa sketch?
5. Who tells Woody that he looks like his father?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)