|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Manzanar mean in Spanish?
(a) Cold wind
(b) Windswept mountain
(c) Apple orchard
(d) Green valley
2. Jeanne's family moves closer to what in the camp?
(a) The hospital
(b) The reservoir shack
(c) The main gate
(d) The mess hall
3. How many of Papa's family died in the bombing of Hiroshima?
4. In 1942, the Supreme Court upholds the evacuation of Japanese-Americans due to what reason?
(a) German internment camps
(b) Japanese American protection
(c) Wartime necessity
(d) Japanese spying
5. What closes permanently in July of 1945?
(a) The Manzanar camp
(b) The draft for Japanese American soldiers
(c) The schools at Manzanar
(d) The mess hall at Manzanar
6. Jeanne feels sorry for the teacher of which lessons?
(d) Baton twirling
7. Jeanne goes to the first campground when she is in what grade?
8. What does Jeanne fear as the camps close?
(a) Living on the East Coast
(b) Having to stay at the camp
(c) The future
(d) Leaving her friends
9. What does Jeanne explore that her father is against?
10. Who is Jeanne's oldest sister?
11. What grade does Jeanne enter in Los Angeles?
12. Who is the first of the family to leave?
(a) Woody and his wife
(b) Mama, Papa and Jeanne
(c) Eleanor, Shig and their baby son
(d) Granny and Kiyo
13. How do Jeanne and her family deal with the memories of Manzanar?
(a) They don't talk about Manzanar
(b) They discuss their experiences at family gatherings
(c) They go to therapy
(d) They write about their experiences in a family journal
14. What would Jeanne be horrified about if anyone asked her out on a date?
(a) The apartment the family lives in
(b) Papa's behavior
(c) Her lack of money
(d) Her Japanese ancestry
15. What is the 442nd Combat Regiment?
(a) A specialized naval unit
(b) An all Japanese unit
(c) A front line unit in Japan
(d) An all California unit
Short Answer Questions
1. Who breaks the dam of Jeanne's memories about Manzanar?
2. Jeanne becomes the first person in her family to _________.
3. What does the experience of visiting the family show Woody?
4. At what lessons does Jeanne succeed?
5. How does Jeanne's family react to the news that the camps are closing?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)