|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is contained in the oil cans that Papa has with him?
(d) Cooking oil
2. How many people does the family have to fit into two units?
3. Of what is Jeanne's father accused?
(a) Hiding Japanese spies in his home
(b) Giving the Japanese information about Pearl Harbor
(c) Sending messages about military arrangements
(d) Providing offshore submarines with oil
4. What is Mama furious about that first day?
(a) Jeanne's dirty dress
(b) The conditions they have to live in
(c) The barbed wire around the camp
(d) That her husband isn't with them
5. What does the mob cry out before the MPs use tear gas?
6. What does Jeanne's father have that he feels guarantees his arrest?
(a) A commercial fishing license
(b) A medal of honor from the Japanese government
(c) A typewriter
(d) A son who lives in Japan
7. How long is it between the time that Jeanne's father is arrested and the next time that they see him?
(a) Five years
(b) Almost a year
(c) Four months
(d) Three days
8. What hurts Mama's pride?
(a) To not be able to provide for her family
(b) To be put into such a low, miserable living situation
(c) To not be able to shower each day
(d) To have to rely on others
9. Who has meals brought to him or her instead of eating in the mess hall?
10. People can leave the camps and move inland if they do what?
(a) Find a job and a sponsor
(b) Sign up for the military
(c) Give information on another Japanese person
(d) Sign a green card
11. What do many Americans fear that all Japanese are doing?
(a) Plotting to kill the president
(b) Spying on the United States
(c) Planting bombs in Hawaii
(d) Providing information to Germany
12. What do many people wear as they arrive in the camps?
(a) Heavy coats
(b) Aloha shirts
(c) Bathing suits
13. How many internment camps are there for Japanese-Americans?
14. Why doesn't Papa return to Japan?
(a) The size of his family
(b) His law degree is the United States
(c) He wants to move to China
(d) He is wanted in Japan for murder
15. When was Papa born?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times do Mama and Papa run away together?
2. The anti-American Japanese want what?
3. Why does the Navy make the Japanese families move away from Terminal Island?
4. What is a reminder that the people are not free?
5. Why does Jeanne's Mom pack heavy coats for them?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)