|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At Fort Lincoln, what did Papa work as?
(a) A chaplain
(b) A cook
(c) An interviewer
(d) A guard
2. How many people does the family have to fit into two units?
3. What word best describes the first month at Manzanar?
4. Where is Papa held while he is in custody?
(a) New York
(c) North Dakota
5. What does Papa do to Mama?
(a) Brings her flowers
(b) Forces her to sleep outside
(c) Breaks her leg
(d) Threatens her with his cane
6. The War Department issues surplus clothing from which war?
(a) The Civil War
(b) The Spanish American War
(d) The Vietnam War
7. Why hasn't Papa contacted his family in Japan?
(a) He doesn't like any of them.
(b) This disowned him
(c) They are all dead
(d) He is the black sheep of the family
8. What does "Inu" mean?
9. Who is the first person to run to Papa when the family sees him?
10. How long is it between the time that Jeanne's father is arrested and the next time that they see him?
(a) Five years
(b) Four months
(c) Three days
(d) Almost a year
11. For what reason does Mama need money?
(a) To pay for Papa's release from prison
(b) To buy extra food for the family in the camps
(c) To pay the monthly fee on the warehouse where the furniture is stored
(d) To pay the mortgage on the house on Terminal Island
12. How many internment camps are there for Japanese-Americans?
13. What is a common condition in the camp?
(c) The Manzanar runs
14. Why does the Navy make the Japanese families move away from Terminal Island?
(a) The families aren't paying rent
(b) They think it's too close to the Long Beach Navel station
(c) They are afraid that the Japanese will declare independence on the island
(d) Some groups have threatened the families
15. Where is the family sent?
(a) Tule Lake
(d) Gila River
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Jeanne when she reaches the camp?
2. When was Papa born?
3. What hurts Mama's pride?
4. What do the women use for privacy in the camps?
5. What item does Jeanne's mother refuse to sell, deciding instead to break it?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)