|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom do Jeanne and her parents move in?
(a) Her mother's employers
(d) Her cousin
2. What is the most disturbing and disgraceful situation for most men held at Manzanar?
(a) The lack of freedom
(b) The family disintegration
(c) The charge of disloyalty
(d) The oversized clothing
3. Issei means what?
(a) Canadian born Japanese
(b) Japanese born
(c) American born Japanese
(d) Japanese warrior
4. Who works on the walls with Kiyo?
5. What happens to Papa's nose?
(a) Kiyo bloodies it
(b) The camp head punches him
(c) He runs into a door
(d) He breaks it while drunk
6. What does the interviewer ask Papa?
(a) His favorite baseball team
(b) His reason for having four children
(c) His favorite color
(d) His reason for coming to the United States
7. What draws families apart on Manzanar?
(a) The close quarters
(b) The barbed wire
(d) The separate men's and women's sections
8. What helps the family get through the difficult circumstances?
9. What can't Papa do?
(a) Work on a fishing boat
(b) Send his children to school
(c) Become a citizen of the United States
(d) Go back to Japan
10. What is surprising about the morning at the wharf?
(a) Jeanne is given an engagement ring
(b) The fishing fleet comes back
(c) Jeanne's father has a heart attack
(d) A whale washes up on the beach
11. Who is the first person to run to Papa when the family sees him?
12. What does the sandstorm do?
(a) Puts out the electricity
(b) Blows down the barbed wire
(c) Hides the soldiers outside the camp
(d) Contaminates the water supply
13. With what is Papa charged?
(a) Plotting to bomb
(b) Delivering oil to Japanese submarines
(c) Sending messages to the Japanese military
(d) Spying on the Long Beach Navel station
14. What crowds the barracks?
(a) Mama's sadness
(b) Woody's two children
(c) Papa's dark mood
(d) Kiyo's friend Daniel
15. What word best describes the first month at Manzanar?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times do Mama and Papa run away together?
2. How long is Kiyo gone from the family barracks?
3. The camp sits at an altitude of _______.
4. When the family arrives at the camp, what obscures their vision of it?
5. Why does the Navy make the Japanese families move away from Terminal Island?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)