|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Papa leave Japan?
(a) Japan is in a severe depression
(b) Mama is in California
(c) He fights with his father
(d) He needs to escape the law
2. What does the sandstorm do?
(a) Puts out the electricity
(b) Contaminates the water supply
(c) Hides the soldiers outside the camp
(d) Blows down the barbed wire
3. Why hasn't Papa contacted his family in Japan?
(a) He is the black sheep of the family
(b) He doesn't like any of them.
(c) This disowned him
(d) They are all dead
4. What crowds the barracks?
(a) Woody's two children
(b) Mama's sadness
(c) Papa's dark mood
(d) Kiyo's friend Daniel
5. Why does Jeanne's Mom pack heavy coats for them?
(a) So they will have something to sleep on
(b) So they can hide items in the pockets
(c) She knows it can get cold in the mountains
(d) She doesn't want the buyers to get them
6. Where does the family meet Papa?
(a) At the main gate
(b) At the mess hall
(c) At the camp's main office
(d) At the family's unit in the barracks
7. When does Papa return to the family?
(a) August 1945
(b) March 1943
(c) September 1942
(d) December 1941
8. What is the reservoir crew given as protection?
(b) Tear gas
(d) Ax handles
9. Who are the only people allowed out of the camp on the night of the riot?
(a) The soldiers
(b) The camp officers
(c) Children under five
(d) The reservoir crew
10. Who does Papa think will win the war?
11. Mama thinks that the condition of the barracks is no better than what _______ would sleep in.
12. Why does the Navy make the Japanese families move away from Terminal Island?
(a) Some groups have threatened the families
(b) The families aren't paying rent
(c) They are afraid that the Japanese will declare independence on the island
(d) They think it's too close to the Long Beach Navel station
13. Why do the others think that Papa informed on the other men?
(a) Someone hears Papa informing
(b) He is released earlier than the others
(c) He is given a medal by the government
(d) He lives in Ocean Park
14. Who is the first person to run to Papa when the family sees him?
15. What does Papa do to Mama?
(a) Brings her flowers
(b) Forces her to sleep outside
(c) Breaks her leg
(d) Threatens her with his cane
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the Japanese held in Manzanar?
2. Which word best describes the barracks?
3. How much longer has Papa lived in the United States versus his interrogator?
4. Papa finally leaves the barracks to do what?
5. What is a reminder that the people are not free?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)