|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What draws families apart on Manzanar?
(b) The close quarters
(c) The separate men's and women's sections
(d) The barbed wire
2. What surrounds the camp?
(b) Wood walls
(c) A river
(d) Barbed wire
3. Who crashes into the reservoir shack?
(a) A boy from a neighboring town
(b) 4 soldiers
(c) A naval officer
(d) A Japanese spy
4. What is the first thing the family sees with Papa?
(a) A wheelchair
(b) A wig
(c) A cane
5. What is a common condition in the camp?
(d) The Manzanar runs
6. Where is Papa held while he is in custody?
(a) New York
(c) North Dakota
7. Why is the family relieved to arrive at the camp?
(a) They are running out of money and everything will be taken care of here
(b) They are protected from the war
(c) It offers some protection from the fear of the Caucasians
(d) They will have a house to live in
8. Where does Papa go after leaving Japan?
(a) San Diego
9. What helps the family get through the difficult circumstances?
10. When was Papa born?
11. What do Jeanne and the other women go to do?
(a) See off the fishing fleet
(b) Pick oranges in the orchard
(c) Shop at the market
(d) Wash laundry
12. How many people does the family have to fit into two units?
13. What school does Papa enter?
(c) University of Idaho
(d) University of Washington
14. What does the sandstorm do?
(a) Puts out the electricity
(b) Blows down the barbed wire
(c) Contaminates the water supply
(d) Hides the soldiers outside the camp
15. Why does Jeanne's Mom pack heavy coats for them?
(a) So they can hide items in the pockets
(b) She doesn't want the buyers to get them
(c) So they will have something to sleep on
(d) She knows it can get cold in the mountains
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mama's career?
2. How many internment camps are there for Japanese-Americans?
3. What can't Papa do?
4. What do the soldiers fear?
5. What hurts Mama's pride?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)