* Philip Marlowe is a private investigator who works for the District Attorney's office until he is fired for insubordination.
* Marlowe meets Moose Malloy, a recently released convict, looking at the neon sign outside of Florian's, an after-hours club.
* Malloy is shocked that during his eight years in prison the night spot changed hands and is now owned, operated, and patronized by African-Americans.
* After Malloy throws one black patron out of the establishment, Marlowe moves in for a closer look and is grabbed by Moose and forced into the night spot.
* Moose Malloy is at the spot looking for a woman he once loved named Little Velma who was an entertainer at Florian's.
* Marlowe has no choice but to accompany the large, loudly dressed dangerous man up the stairs and into the bar.
* Moose Malloy attacks the bouncer at Florian's, leaving the man crawling along the baseboards...
This section contains 3,607 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)