|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dream does Nariman have that causes him to wake up screaming?
2. What does Murad get Jehangir for Christmas?
3. What does Edul say he must use to repair Nariman's room?
4. How do Coomy and Edul Munshi die?
5. What arrives at Kapur's store that he get all excited about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yezad ask Vilas to do about the Christmas decorations, and what is Vilas' reaction?
2. What excuses do Roxana and Yezad make for Jehangir when his teacher tells them Jehangir has been taking bribes as homework monitor? How is Jehangir punished?
3. What impact does Mr. Kapur's decision about running for municipal council have on Yezad?
4. What effect has acting as homework monitor had on Jehangir?
5. Describe why both Roxana and Yezad are puzzled about the amount of money in the budget envelopes.
6. When Yezad wakes up during the night with chest pains, what does he attribute the cause to?
7. How does Jal try to placate Edul Munshi's wife while Edul finishes the work in Jal and Coomy's apartment?
8. What happens with Kapur and the children when Kapur puts on his Santa costume?
9. In what ways do Jal and Yezad begin to act differently after Coomy and Kapur's deaths?
10. What happens to Yezad's work situation after Kapur's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author of Family Matters uses flashback to fill in parts of the story. Through whose eyes do we experience the flashbacks and how are they important to the story? Do the flashbacks help you learn any more about the character than what the front story tells? Is this a useful technique to employ in this story? Why/why not?
Essay Topic 2
For most of the story, Coomy seems to be the controlling factor among all the characters. Is Coomy truly concerned about her family? Is she materialistic? Nurturing? Selfish? All of the above? Focusing on Coomy's personality and the way she interacts with others, write a character description of Coomy.
Essay Topic 3
Briefly research the history of Bombay/Mumbai and tell how the social struggle over the name change compares to the struggles within the Vakeel and Chenoy families.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)