|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What request does Nariman make of Daisy after she first plays her violin for him?
2. Why does Yezad go to the store where he works on Christmas day?
3. How does Mrs. Kapur act when Yezad asks about his Christmas present from Mr. Kapur?
4. Who finally helps Nariman with the urinal?
5. Why does Miss Alvarez ask to speak to Jehangir's parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the family moves into more comfortable lodgings, begins to have more money, and find other interests, they begin to lose touch with each other and with their own values. Show how this affects the characters individually and as a family. Is this a natural progression of events in this story? Is it true in life as well as in fiction?
Essay Topic 2
Late in the book, Yezad discovers that there are really only two things that matter: religion and family. Show how both elements were important throughout the book to individual characters as well as methods by which Mistry told the story.
Essay Topic 3
When using the good china for Murad's birthday reminds the family that one of Nariman's beliefs was that people should "take pleasure in the beautiful things to defeat the sadness and sorrow of life." How did Nariman live up to that belief? Did any other characters in the story follow his lead? How is that philosophy revealed throughout the story?
This section contains 1,257 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)