|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jehangir have to do after putting old and wrinkled money in the budget envelopes?
2. What dream does Nariman have that causes him to wake up screaming?
3. Why is the store closed when Yezad returns to work the day after Coomy's funeral?
4. How does Roxana react when Yezad tells her he has lost all their money?
5. How do Coomy and Edul Munshi die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Mr. Kapur's wife's reasons for not wanting him to run for public office?
2. What impact does Mr. Kapur's decision about running for municipal council have on Yezad?
3. What changes in behavior does Kapur make in order to become more like the common people?
4. What does Yezad ask Vilas to do about the Christmas decorations, and what is Vilas' reaction?
5. Why does Jal take money from his account and go to visit Roxana?
6. What can we learn about the relationship between Roxana and Yezad when Yezad tells Roxana he lost their money playing Matka?
7. What does Yezad learn when he calls Mr. Kapur to say he will not be in to work because of Coomy's death?
8. What effect has acting as homework monitor had on Jehangir?
9. What are some of Yezad's thoughts and actions in Chapter 15 that show he is changing?
10. What happens with Kapur and the children when Kapur puts on his Santa costume?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book there are references to the Parsi faith, to Shiv Sena, and to the conflict over changing Bombay to Mumbai. How much did these issues affect the lives of the people in the story, and how much do such issues affect everyday life? Use examples from history and/or current events to help you support your view.
Essay Topic 2
When Yezad loses all his money at Makta, Roxana forgives him because she believes happiness is more important than having a lot of money. Do you agree with her assessment? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the living conditions at Chateau Felicity and Pleasant Villa. How does each location impact the story, and what do you learn about the characters from their association with the two different homes?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)