|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What proposition does Jal make to Yezad and Roxana?
2. What is Kapur's reaction when Yezad asks for an advance?
3. What is Mr. Kapur's wife's view of public service?
4. How did Kapur react to Yezad's story in Chapter 15?
5. What upsets the inspector most about the Parsi community?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jal take money from his account and go to visit Roxana?
2. How does Jal try to placate Edul Munshi's wife while Edul finishes the work in Jal and Coomy's apartment?
3. What did Murad do in order to have enough money to buy Christmas presents for his family?
4. What effect has acting as homework monitor had on Jehangir?
5. What is significant about the introduction of Daisy Ichamora to Nariman?
6. What happens with Kapur and the children when Kapur puts on his Santa costume?
7. In what ways do Jal and Yezad begin to act differently after Coomy and Kapur's deaths?
8. What can we learn about the relationship between Roxana and Yezad when Yezad tells Roxana he lost their money playing Matka?
9. What does Yezad learn when he calls Mr. Kapur to say he will not be in to work because of Coomy's death?
10. What are some of Yezad's thoughts and actions in Chapter 15 that show he is changing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the living conditions at Chateau Felicity and Pleasant Villa. How does each location impact the story, and what do you learn about the characters from their association with the two different homes?
Essay Topic 2
For most of the story, Coomy seems to be the controlling factor among all the characters. Is Coomy truly concerned about her family? Is she materialistic? Nurturing? Selfish? All of the above? Focusing on Coomy's personality and the way she interacts with others, write a character description of Coomy.
Essay Topic 3
Who seem to be the stronger characters in Family Matters, the men or the women? Does that change through the course of the story? Discuss the strengths and weaknesses of the characters and tell whether you think they are related to gender or are just an author's rendering.
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)