|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What request does Nariman make of Daisy after she first plays her violin for him?
2. What is the good omen that Roxana sees as the family leaves Pleasant Villa?
3. Why does Kapur not respond to Yezad's request about his new responsibilities?
4. What does Jal find when he goes to visit Nariman at Pleasant Villa?
5. What is the plan that Yezad has developed that requires Vilas' help?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jal try to placate Edul Munshi's wife while Edul finishes the work in Jal and Coomy's apartment?
2. What happens to Yezad's work situation after Kapur's death?
3. What happens with Kapur and the children when Kapur puts on his Santa costume?
4. Why does Jal take money from his account and go to visit Roxana?
5. What does Yezad learn when he calls Mr. Kapur to say he will not be in to work because of Coomy's death?
6. What are some of Yezad's thoughts and actions in Chapter 15 that show he is changing?
7. As the family leaves Pleasant Villa for the last time, Roxana and Jehangir look out the car window and see the same bird, but each one interprets it differently. How do Roxana and Jehangir see the bird differently?
8. In what ways do Jal and Yezad begin to act differently after Coomy and Kapur's deaths?
9. What excuses do Roxana and Yezad make for Jehangir when his teacher tells them Jehangir has been taking bribes as homework monitor? How is Jehangir punished?
10. What did Murad do in order to have enough money to buy Christmas presents for his family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the differences in Coomy, who seems to have everything, and Roxana, who has to scrape to get by. How does each woman relate to her family? Are the reasons for the differences caused by personality, social standing, security? Discuss which you think is the more balanced and happier of the two and tell why.
Essay Topic 2
Nariman is kept from following his heart by the tenets of his religious belief. What is this belief? How does it control his life? Is that a good thing? How could his life have been different if he had followed his heart?
Essay Topic 3
One of Kapur's reasons for not running for office is that his wife tells him that service to family comes before service to community. How is this theme carried throughout the story? Do you think Coomy and Roxana would have agreed with her? Why/why not?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)