|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What proposition does Jal make to Yezad and Roxana?
2. Why does Yezad have trouble finding another job?
3. What dream does Nariman have that causes him to wake up screaming?
4. How do the children react to Kapur?
5. What does Yezad tell Jehangir that his name means?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jal try to placate Edul Munshi's wife while Edul finishes the work in Jal and Coomy's apartment?
2. What did Murad do in order to have enough money to buy Christmas presents for his family?
3. As the family leaves Pleasant Villa for the last time, Roxana and Jehangir look out the car window and see the same bird, but each one interprets it differently. How do Roxana and Jehangir see the bird differently?
4. What does Yezad learn when he calls Mr. Kapur to say he will not be in to work because of Coomy's death?
5. What are Mr. Kapur's wife's reasons for not wanting him to run for public office?
6. How does Yezad's plan to coerce Kapur to run for municipal council backfire?
7. Why does Jal take money from his account and go to visit Roxana?
8. What changes in behavior does Kapur make in order to become more like the common people?
9. What happens with Kapur and the children when Kapur puts on his Santa costume?
10. What does Yezad ask Vilas to do about the Christmas decorations, and what is Vilas' reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the story, Yezad scoffs at Coomy's religious practices, but has done a complete turn-around by the end of the story. Trace the changes in Yezad throughout the story, focusing on what caused him to change and whether you think he was always sincere in his beliefs.
Essay Topic 2
One of the techniques Mistry uses in Family Matters is humor. Describe some of the humorous incidents in the story and tell how they help to move the story along by relieving tension, revealing more about characters, or just providing a break in the narrative.
Essay Topic 3
One of Kapur's reasons for not running for office is that his wife tells him that service to family comes before service to community. How is this theme carried throughout the story? Do you think Coomy and Roxana would have agreed with her? Why/why not?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)