|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Yezad when he stops at the temple and stays for prayers?
2. What is Kapur's justification for not being treated like a common person?
3. How does Mrs. Kapur act when Yezad asks about his Christmas present from Mr. Kapur?
4. Why is the store closed when Yezad returns to work the day after Coomy's funeral?
5. Why does Yezad meet with Vilas and his two actor friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yezad ask Vilas to do about the Christmas decorations, and what is Vilas' reaction?
2. What are Mr. Kapur's wife's reasons for not wanting him to run for public office?
3. What effect has acting as homework monitor had on Jehangir?
4. Why does Jal take money from his account and go to visit Roxana?
5. What does Yezad learn when he calls Mr. Kapur to say he will not be in to work because of Coomy's death?
6. How does Jal try to placate Edul Munshi's wife while Edul finishes the work in Jal and Coomy's apartment?
7. What excuses do Roxana and Yezad make for Jehangir when his teacher tells them Jehangir has been taking bribes as homework monitor? How is Jehangir punished?
8. What is significant about the introduction of Daisy Ichamora to Nariman?
9. What did Murad do in order to have enough money to buy Christmas presents for his family?
10. What happens to Yezad's work situation after Kapur's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book there are references to the Parsi faith, to Shiv Sena, and to the conflict over changing Bombay to Mumbai. How much did these issues affect the lives of the people in the story, and how much do such issues affect everyday life? Use examples from history and/or current events to help you support your view.
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of the story, Yezad scoffs at Coomy's religious practices, but has done a complete turn-around by the end of the story. Trace the changes in Yezad throughout the story, focusing on what caused him to change and whether you think he was always sincere in his beliefs.
Essay Topic 3
Both Yezad and Jehangir turn to dishonest means to make money to help the family. Are they justified in the means they use to acquire extra cash? Why do you think neither one is punished? What do their actions tell you about them and their relation to their family?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)