|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Kapur act when Yezad asks about his Christmas present from Mr. Kapur?
2. In Nariman's words, how would you complete this sentence, "the loss of home ...?
3. How do Coomy and Edul Munshi die?
4. What does Jal find when he goes to visit Nariman at Pleasant Villa?
5. In Nariman's dream about a time when Lucy worked for another family in his building, what is Lucy doing?
Essay Topic 1
When Yezad loses all his money at Makta, Roxana forgives him because she believes happiness is more important than having a lot of money. Do you agree with her assessment? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of the story, Yezad scoffs at Coomy's religious practices, but has done a complete turn-around by the end of the story. Trace the changes in Yezad throughout the story, focusing on what caused him to change and whether you think he was always sincere in his beliefs.
Essay Topic 3
The death of Coomy seems to release the family from some of their stiffness or unease with each other. Jal becomes closer to Roxana and her family, and even Nariman seems to become more animated in his interactions with the family. What was it about Coomy that could have such an effect on the family? Was she conscious of what she was doing, or was Coomy totally unaware of the affect she had on those around her? Use incidents from the story to show how she could have acted differently toward her family.
This section contains 1,278 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)