|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What awakens Yezad in the middle of the night?
2. What request does Nariman make of Daisy after she first plays her violin for him?
3. What excuse does Kapur give for not running for municipal office?
4. What does Edul say he must use to repair Nariman's room?
5. Who goes to help Nariman when he asks for the urinal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Murad do in order to have enough money to buy Christmas presents for his family?
2. What can we learn about the relationship between Roxana and Yezad when Yezad tells Roxana he lost their money playing Matka?
3. What changes in behavior does Kapur make in order to become more like the common people?
4. When Yezad wakes up during the night with chest pains, what does he attribute the cause to?
5. What does Yezad ask Vilas to do about the Christmas decorations, and what is Vilas' reaction?
6. What happens to Yezad's work situation after Kapur's death?
7. What effect has acting as homework monitor had on Jehangir?
8. What are some of Yezad's thoughts and actions in Chapter 15 that show he is changing?
9. Describe why both Roxana and Yezad are puzzled about the amount of money in the budget envelopes.
10. What impact does Mr. Kapur's decision about running for municipal council have on Yezad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For most of the story, Coomy seems to be the controlling factor among all the characters. Is Coomy truly concerned about her family? Is she materialistic? Nurturing? Selfish? All of the above? Focusing on Coomy's personality and the way she interacts with others, write a character description of Coomy.
Essay Topic 2
Late in the book, Yezad discovers that there are really only two things that matter: religion and family. Show how both elements were important throughout the book to individual characters as well as methods by which Mistry told the story.
Essay Topic 3
Both Yezad and Jehangir turn to dishonest means to make money to help the family. Are they justified in the means they use to acquire extra cash? Why do you think neither one is punished? What do their actions tell you about them and their relation to their family?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)