|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Coomy calls in Dr. Tarapore, what is his concern about Nariman?
2. What does Yezad give Villie for helping him with Matka?
3. How does Nariman help Jehangir go back to sleep when Jehangir is restless?
4. What is Coomy preparing to do when Yezad and Roxana arrive at her home to discuss her concerns for Nariman?
5. Which of the following does not describe Vilas Rane?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Murad do in Chapter 10 that angers Yezad, and why is this significant?
2. What is Dr. Tarapore's diagnosis when Coomy and Jal consult him about Nariman's crying episodes?
3. Describe how Nariman's arrival changes things for the Chenoy family.
4. Who are the Shiv Sena?
5. What indications are there in Chapter 8 that Nariman is not likely to ever go back to his own home?
6. How has the Chenoy family financial situation affected Murad and Jehangir?
7. What arguments to Vilas and his friends use to discourage Yezad from playing Matka?
8. What examples can you find in Chapter 4 to prove that Coomy is selfish and only pretends to think of others first?
9. Describe the living conditions for Nariman Vakeel at the beginning of the novel.
10. What is the basis of the argument between Coomy and Roxana at the beginning of Chapter 9? How is this argument different from others they have had?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Briefly research the history of Bombay/Mumbai and tell how the social struggle over the name change compares to the struggles within the Vakeel and Chenoy families.
Essay Topic 2
The author of Family Matters uses flashback to fill in parts of the story. Through whose eyes do we experience the flashbacks and how are they important to the story? Do the flashbacks help you learn any more about the character than what the front story tells? Is this a useful technique to employ in this story? Why/why not?
Essay Topic 3
Yezad in intent upon furthering himself at work. Is his desire based on ambition, greed, or just a need to have more money? Would he be likely to accept the responsibility an advancement at work would require? Would Yezad make a good manager?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)