|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jal explain the constant hammering that Yezad asks about?
2. What does Husain do when he is having a "bad" day?
3. What reason does Coomy give to convince Roxana to let her father move in?
4. Why is Jehangir's job as homework monitor in jeopardy?
5. What offer does Roxana make when Coomy mentions moving their father to Roxana's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What examples can you find in Chapter 4 to prove that Coomy is selfish and only pretends to think of others first?
2. What arguments to Vilas and his friends use to discourage Yezad from playing Matka?
3. Describe Roxana's relationship with Coomy and Jal.
4. Describe the living conditions for Nariman Vakeel at the beginning of the novel.
5. How has the Chenoy family financial situation affected Murad and Jehangir?
6. Describe the relationship between Nariman and Jehangir.
7. What was the result of Nariman's visit from Dr. Tarapore at the beginning of Chapter 8?
8. What effect is Nariman's prolonged stay having on Roxana and Yezad, and what does Nariman tell them to do about it?
9. Describe the tactics Coomy uses to convince Roxana to let Nariman stay at Roxana's.
10. What is the basis of the argument between Coomy and Roxana at the beginning of Chapter 9? How is this argument different from others they have had?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book there are references to the Parsi faith, to Shiv Sena, and to the conflict over changing Bombay to Mumbai. How much did these issues affect the lives of the people in the story, and how much do such issues affect everyday life? Use examples from history and/or current events to help you support your view.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the living conditions at Chateau Felicity and Pleasant Villa. How does each location impact the story, and what do you learn about the characters from their association with the two different homes?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the differences in Coomy, who seems to have everything, and Roxana, who has to scrape to get by. How does each woman relate to her family? Are the reasons for the differences caused by personality, social standing, security? Discuss which you think is the more balanced and happier of the two and tell why.
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)