|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dr. Tarapore's impending visit affect Nariman?
2. Why are Jehangir and Murad excited about having Nariman stay with them?
3. How are Murad and Jehangir instructed to act when they arrive at Nariman's home?
4. What offer does Roxana make when Coomy mentions moving their father to Roxana's?
5. What arrangements are made for Nariman at Roxana's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What indications are there in Chapter 8 that Nariman is not likely to ever go back to his own home?
2. What choices does Coomy make about caring for Nariman at home and why?
3. What is one of Coomy's worst fears and how is it realized?
4. What do you know of VIkram Kapur from the incidents in Chapter 7?
5. What is Yezad's solution when both boys want to sleep on the balcony, and what does it tell you about Yezad's character?
6. What do Vilas and Yezad talk about as they return to work after meeting Vilas' two friends? Why is this important?
7. What does Murad do in Chapter 10 that angers Yezad, and why is this significant?
8. Who is Husain and what is his role in the story?
9. What examples can you find in Chapter 4 to prove that Coomy is selfish and only pretends to think of others first?
10. Describe how Nariman's arrival changes things for the Chenoy family.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Yezad in intent upon furthering himself at work. Is his desire based on ambition, greed, or just a need to have more money? Would he be likely to accept the responsibility an advancement at work would require? Would Yezad make a good manager?
Essay Topic 2
When using the good china for Murad's birthday reminds the family that one of Nariman's beliefs was that people should "take pleasure in the beautiful things to defeat the sadness and sorrow of life." How did Nariman live up to that belief? Did any other characters in the story follow his lead? How is that philosophy revealed throughout the story?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the living conditions at Chateau Felicity and Pleasant Villa. How does each location impact the story, and what do you learn about the characters from their association with the two different homes?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)