|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Jehangir's job as homework monitor in jeopardy?
2. What news about his intentions does Mr. Kapur share with Yezad as they get together after work?
3. Who asks Nariman for his assistance while he is in the hospital?
4. What do Coomy and Jal hear Nariman doing whenever they pass the room he stays in while his ankle heals?
5. What opportunity does one of the customers present to Yezad?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the Shiv Sena?
2. What is one of Coomy's worst fears and how is it realized?
3. Why does Jal take money from his account and go to visit Roxana?
4. What jobs does Vilas Rane hold?
5. Describe how Nariman's arrival changes things for the Chenoy family.
6. What indications are there in Chapter 8 that Nariman is not likely to ever go back to his own home?
7. What type of person is Coomy?
8. Describe why both Roxana and Yezad are puzzled about the amount of money in the budget envelopes.
9. What is significant about the introduction of Daisy Ichamora to Nariman?
10. What effect is Nariman's prolonged stay having on Roxana and Yezad, and what does Nariman tell them to do about it?
Essay Topic 1
For most of the story, Coomy seems to be the controlling factor among all the characters. Is Coomy truly concerned about her family? Is she materialistic? Nurturing? Selfish? All of the above? Focusing on Coomy's personality and the way she interacts with others, write a character description of Coomy.
Essay Topic 2
The author of Family Matters uses flashback to fill in parts of the story. Through whose eyes do we experience the flashbacks and how are they important to the story? Do the flashbacks help you learn any more about the character than what the front story tells? Is this a useful technique to employ in this story? Why/why not?
Essay Topic 3
Yezad in intent upon furthering himself at work. Is his desire based on ambition, greed, or just a need to have more money? Would he be likely to accept the responsibility an advancement at work would require? Would Yezad make a good manager?
This section contains 1,848 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)