|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Coomy and Jal do at home to keep Nariman from coming back?
2. How does Jal explain the constant hammering that Yezad asks about?
3. What type of school do Murad and Jehangir attend?
4. When does Coomy intend to let Nariman come home?
5. What news about his intentions does Mr. Kapur share with Yezad as they get together after work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the result of Nariman's visit from Dr. Tarapore at the beginning of Chapter 8?
2. What examples can you find in Chapter 4 to prove that Coomy is selfish and only pretends to think of others first?
3. What is Nariman's deepest regret?
4. Why is it important to Yezad that Kapur run for municipal office?
5. Describe the relationship between Nariman and Jehangir.
6. What jobs does Vilas Rane hold?
7. When Yezad wakes up during the night with chest pains, what does he attribute the cause to?
8. What is the basis of the argument between Coomy and Roxana at the beginning of Chapter 9? How is this argument different from others they have had?
9. Describe the living conditions for the Chenoy family.
10. What is the difference in how Coomy and Nariman feel after Roxana and her family leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the living conditions at Chateau Felicity and Pleasant Villa. How does each location impact the story, and what do you learn about the characters from their association with the two different homes?
Essay Topic 2
One of Kapur's reasons for not running for office is that his wife tells him that service to family comes before service to community. How is this theme carried throughout the story? Do you think Coomy and Roxana would have agreed with her? Why/why not?
Essay Topic 3
The death of Coomy seems to release the family from some of their stiffness or unease with each other. Jal becomes closer to Roxana and her family, and even Nariman seems to become more animated in his interactions with the family. What was it about Coomy that could have such an effect on the family? Was she conscious of what she was doing, or was Coomy totally unaware of the affect she had on those around her? Use incidents from the story to show how she could have acted differently toward her family.
This section contains 1,770 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)