|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens the first time Nariman attempts to walk when he gets back to Roxana's?
2. How does Yezad get to work?
3. How would Mr. Kapur's action affect Yezad?
4. What prompts Roxana to change her mind about taking her father in?
5. Why is Nariman not allowed to marry the woman he chose?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the tactics Coomy uses to convince Roxana to let Nariman stay at Roxana's.
2. Describe how Nariman's arrival changes things for the Chenoy family.
3. Describe why both Roxana and Yezad are puzzled about the amount of money in the budget envelopes.
4. What impact does Mr. Kapur's decision about running for municipal council have on Yezad?
5. What excuses do Roxana and Yezad make for Jehangir when his teacher tells them Jehangir has been taking bribes as homework monitor? How is Jehangir punished?
6. What happens with Kapur and the children when Kapur puts on his Santa costume?
7. What is Dr. Tarapore's diagnosis when Coomy and Jal consult him about Nariman's crying episodes?
8. Why does Jal take money from his account and go to visit Roxana?
9. What does Yezad ask Vilas to do about the Christmas decorations, and what is Vilas' reaction?
10. When Yezad wakes up during the night with chest pains, what does he attribute the cause to?
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the story, Yezad scoffs at Coomy's religious practices, but has done a complete turn-around by the end of the story. Trace the changes in Yezad throughout the story, focusing on what caused him to change and whether you think he was always sincere in his beliefs.
Essay Topic 2
The death of Coomy seems to release the family from some of their stiffness or unease with each other. Jal becomes closer to Roxana and her family, and even Nariman seems to become more animated in his interactions with the family. What was it about Coomy that could have such an effect on the family? Was she conscious of what she was doing, or was Coomy totally unaware of the affect she had on those around her? Use incidents from the story to show how she could have acted differently toward her family.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the living conditions at Chateau Felicity and Pleasant Villa. How does each location impact the story, and what do you learn about the characters from their association with the two different homes?
This section contains 1,916 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)