Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Jehangir's job as homework monitor in jeopardy?
2. What news about his intentions does Mr. Kapur share with Yezad as they get together after work?
3. Who asks Nariman for his assistance while he is in the hospital?
4. What do Coomy and Jal hear Nariman doing whenever they pass the room he stays in while his ankle heals?
5. What opportunity does one of the customers present to Yezad?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the Shiv Sena?
2. What is one of Coomy's worst fears and how is it realized?
3. Why does Jal take money from his account and go to visit Roxana?
4. What jobs does Vilas Rane hold?
5. Describe how Nariman's arrival changes things for the Chenoy family.
6. What indications are there in Chapter 8 that Nariman is not likely to ever go back to his own home?
7. What type of person is Coomy?
8. Describe why both Roxana and Yezad are puzzled about the amount of money in the budget envelopes.
9. What is significant about the introduction of Daisy Ichamora to Nariman?
10. What effect is Nariman's prolonged stay having on Roxana and Yezad, and what does Nariman tell them to do about it?
Essay Topic 1
When using the good china for Murad's birthday reminds the family that one of Nariman's beliefs was that people should "take pleasure in the beautiful things to defeat the sadness and sorrow of life." How did Nariman live up to that belief? Did any other characters in the story follow his lead? How is that philosophy revealed throughout the story?
Essay Topic 2
Yezad in intent upon furthering himself at work. Is his desire based on ambition, greed, or just a need to have more money? Would he be likely to accept the responsibility an advancement at work would require? Would Yezad make a good manager?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book there are references to the Parsi faith, to Shiv Sena, and to the conflict over changing Bombay to Mumbai. How much did these issues affect the lives of the people in the story, and how much do such issues affect everyday life? Use examples from history and/or current events to help you support your view.
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)