|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Roxana and her family arrive for dinner, what is Coomy's reaction?
2. How does Jal explain the constant hammering that Yezad asks about?
3. What does Coomy confess to Jal about caring for their father?
4. What does Nariman encourage Roxana and Yezad to do to help their financial situation?
5. What argument does Coomy use to leave Nariman at Roxana's house a while longer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What jobs does Vilas Rane hold?
2. Describe the ways in which Roxana, Jehangir, and Yezad react to Nariman's presence in their home.
3. What is the basis of the argument between Coomy and Roxana at the beginning of Chapter 9? How is this argument different from others they have had?
4. Describe the relationship between Nariman and Jehangir.
5. Describe the atmosphere in the Vakeel home after Roxana and her family arrive.
6. What is the significance of Yezad's visit to Villie Cardmaster?
7. Describe Roxana's relationship with Coomy and Jal.
8. What was the result of Nariman's visit from Dr. Tarapore at the beginning of Chapter 8?
9. Describe how Nariman's arrival changes things for the Chenoy family.
10. Describe the tactics Coomy uses to convince Roxana to let Nariman stay at Roxana's.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nariman is kept from following his heart by the tenets of his religious belief. What is this belief? How does it control his life? Is that a good thing? How could his life have been different if he had followed his heart?
Essay Topic 2
One of Kapur's reasons for not running for office is that his wife tells him that service to family comes before service to community. How is this theme carried throughout the story? Do you think Coomy and Roxana would have agreed with her? Why/why not?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book there are references to the Parsi faith, to Shiv Sena, and to the conflict over changing Bombay to Mumbai. How much did these issues affect the lives of the people in the story, and how much do such issues affect everyday life? Use examples from history and/or current events to help you support your view.
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)