|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What arrangements are made for Nariman at Roxana's?
2. How long does Nariman stay in the hospital?
3. What does Nariman tell Roxana when she takes him in?
4. Why can Husain only work part time?
5. How does Nariman deal with Coomy's ranting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What indications are there in Chapter 8 that Nariman is not likely to ever go back to his own home?
2. What does Murad do in Chapter 10 that angers Yezad, and why is this significant?
3. Who is Husain and what is his role in the story?
4. What do you know of VIkram Kapur from the incidents in Chapter 7?
5. Describe the atmosphere in the Vakeel home after Roxana and her family arrive.
6. Describe Nariman's relationship with his grandsons.
7. Describe Roxana's relationship with Coomy and Jal.
8. How has the Chenoy family financial situation affected Murad and Jehangir?
9. What is the significance of Yezad's visit to Villie Cardmaster?
10. What is Nariman's relationship with his family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Late in the book, Yezad discovers that there are really only two things that matter: religion and family. Show how both elements were important throughout the book to individual characters as well as methods by which Mistry told the story.
Essay Topic 2
When using the good china for Murad's birthday reminds the family that one of Nariman's beliefs was that people should "take pleasure in the beautiful things to defeat the sadness and sorrow of life." How did Nariman live up to that belief? Did any other characters in the story follow his lead? How is that philosophy revealed throughout the story?
Essay Topic 3
Briefly research the history of Bombay/Mumbai and tell how the social struggle over the name change compares to the struggles within the Vakeel and Chenoy families.
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)