|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dr. Tarapore's impending visit affect Nariman?
2. How long does Nariman stay in the hospital?
3. What is Coomy's first concern after getting rid of Nariman?
4. Why does Phoola Phoola quit?
5. What does Nariman want Coomy to bring to the table as she prepares for his birthday dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Yezad's solution when both boys want to sleep on the balcony, and what does it tell you about Yezad's character?
2. Why is it important to Yezad that Kapur run for municipal office?
3. What choices does Coomy make about caring for Nariman at home and why?
4. What does Murad do in Chapter 10 that angers Yezad, and why is this significant?
5. What do you learn about Coomy from her actions in Chapter 5?
6. What arguments to Vilas and his friends use to discourage Yezad from playing Matka?
7. How has the Chenoy family financial situation affected Murad and Jehangir?
8. What is the difference in how Coomy and Nariman feel after Roxana and her family leave?
9. Describe Roxana's relationship with Coomy and Jal.
10. Describe the relationship between Nariman and Jehangir.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Briefly research the history of Bombay/Mumbai and tell how the social struggle over the name change compares to the struggles within the Vakeel and Chenoy families.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the differences in Coomy, who seems to have everything, and Roxana, who has to scrape to get by. How does each woman relate to her family? Are the reasons for the differences caused by personality, social standing, security? Discuss which you think is the more balanced and happier of the two and tell why.
Essay Topic 3
As the family moves into more comfortable lodgings, begins to have more money, and find other interests, they begin to lose touch with each other and with their own values. Show how this affects the characters individually and as a family. Is this a natural progression of events in this story? Is it true in life as well as in fiction?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)