|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Kapur do when he learns that Husain is unable to work?
2. What happens the first time Nariman attempts to walk when he gets back to Roxana's?
3. Which of the following does not describe Vilas Rane?
4. How long does Roxana tell Yezad that Nariman will stay with them?
5. What excuse does Coomy give for not having told Roxana about the accident?
Short Essay Questions
1. What excuses do Roxana and Yezad make for Jehangir when his teacher tells them Jehangir has been taking bribes as homework monitor? How is Jehangir punished?
2. What are Mr. Kapur's wife's reasons for not wanting him to run for public office?
3. What examples can you find in Chapter 4 to prove that Coomy is selfish and only pretends to think of others first?
4. As the family leaves Pleasant Villa for the last time, Roxana and Jehangir look out the car window and see the same bird, but each one interprets it differently. How do Roxana and Jehangir see the bird differently?
5. What happens to Yezad's work situation after Kapur's death?
6. What happens with Kapur and the children when Kapur puts on his Santa costume?
7. What does Roxana do with the plaster the doctor removes from Nariman's cast, and why is it significant to the rest of the story?
8. What do you learn about Coomy from her actions in Chapter 5?
9. What did Murad do in order to have enough money to buy Christmas presents for his family?
10. What is the difference in how Coomy and Nariman feel after Roxana and her family leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Briefly research the history of Bombay/Mumbai and tell how the social struggle over the name change compares to the struggles within the Vakeel and Chenoy families.
Essay Topic 2
Who seem to be the stronger characters in Family Matters, the men or the women? Does that change through the course of the story? Discuss the strengths and weaknesses of the characters and tell whether you think they are related to gender or are just an author's rendering.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the differences in Coomy, who seems to have everything, and Roxana, who has to scrape to get by. How does each woman relate to her family? Are the reasons for the differences caused by personality, social standing, security? Discuss which you think is the more balanced and happier of the two and tell why.
This section contains 1,887 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)