|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Nariman's family arrange for him to marry?
2. What kind of story does Vilas propose to write for his drama club?
3. What does Coomy confess to Jal about caring for their father?
4. How does Coomy answer Jal's concern about leaving their father with the Chenoy family?
5. Why does Coomy request that Phoola Phoola clean her room first?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of Coomy's worst fears and how is it realized?
2. Describe the tactics Coomy uses to convince Roxana to let Nariman stay at Roxana's.
3. What is the basis of the argument between Coomy and Roxana at the beginning of Chapter 9? How is this argument different from others they have had?
4. Describe the living conditions for Nariman Vakeel at the beginning of the novel.
5. Describe the relationship between Nariman and Jehangir.
6. What is Yezad's solution when both boys want to sleep on the balcony, and what does it tell you about Yezad's character?
7. What is Nariman's deepest regret?
8. What is Nariman's relationship with his family?
9. What type of person is Coomy?
10. What arguments to Vilas and his friends use to discourage Yezad from playing Matka?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Briefly research the history of Bombay/Mumbai and tell how the social struggle over the name change compares to the struggles within the Vakeel and Chenoy families.
Essay Topic 2
As the family moves into more comfortable lodgings, begins to have more money, and find other interests, they begin to lose touch with each other and with their own values. Show how this affects the characters individually and as a family. Is this a natural progression of events in this story? Is it true in life as well as in fiction?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the differences in Coomy, who seems to have everything, and Roxana, who has to scrape to get by. How does each woman relate to her family? Are the reasons for the differences caused by personality, social standing, security? Discuss which you think is the more balanced and happier of the two and tell why.
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)