|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Roxana's advice to Jehangir about writing a book?
2. How long does Roxana tell Yezad that Nariman will stay with them?
3. What prompts Roxana to change her mind about taking her father in?
4. Which of the following seems most sensitive to Nariman's needs?
5. According to Coomy, who is supposed to inherit Chateau Felicity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the subject of Nariman's flashbacks, and why is mention of his flashbacks important to the story?
2. What jobs does Vilas Rane hold?
3. What arguments to Vilas and his friends use to discourage Yezad from playing Matka?
4. Describe Roxana's relationship with Coomy and Jal.
5. What choices does Coomy make about caring for Nariman at home and why?
6. What do you know of VIkram Kapur from the incidents in Chapter 7?
7. What do you learn about Coomy from her actions in Chapter 5?
8. Describe Nariman's relationship with his grandsons.
9. What type of person is Coomy?
10. Describe the living conditions for Nariman Vakeel at the beginning of the novel.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the differences in Coomy, who seems to have everything, and Roxana, who has to scrape to get by. How does each woman relate to her family? Are the reasons for the differences caused by personality, social standing, security? Discuss which you think is the more balanced and happier of the two and tell why.
Essay Topic 2
When using the good china for Murad's birthday reminds the family that one of Nariman's beliefs was that people should "take pleasure in the beautiful things to defeat the sadness and sorrow of life." How did Nariman live up to that belief? Did any other characters in the story follow his lead? How is that philosophy revealed throughout the story?
Essay Topic 3
Both Yezad and Jehangir turn to dishonest means to make money to help the family. Are they justified in the means they use to acquire extra cash? Why do you think neither one is punished? What do their actions tell you about them and their relation to their family?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)