Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Jehangir's job as homework monitor in jeopardy?
2. What news about his intentions does Mr. Kapur share with Yezad as they get together after work?
3. Who asks Nariman for his assistance while he is in the hospital?
4. What do Coomy and Jal hear Nariman doing whenever they pass the room he stays in while his ankle heals?
5. What opportunity does one of the customers present to Yezad?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the Shiv Sena?
2. What is one of Coomy's worst fears and how is it realized?
3. Why does Jal take money from his account and go to visit Roxana?
4. What jobs does Vilas Rane hold?
5. Describe how Nariman's arrival changes things for the Chenoy family.
6. What indications are there in Chapter 8 that Nariman is not likely to ever go back to his own home?
7. What type of person is Coomy?
8. Describe why both Roxana and Yezad are puzzled about the amount of money in the budget envelopes.
9. What is significant about the introduction of Daisy Ichamora to Nariman?
10. What effect is Nariman's prolonged stay having on Roxana and Yezad, and what does Nariman tell them to do about it?
Essay Topic 1
Briefly research the history of Bombay/Mumbai and tell how the social struggle over the name change compares to the struggles within the Vakeel and Chenoy families.
Essay Topic 2
Who seem to be the stronger characters in Family Matters, the men or the women? Does that change through the course of the story? Discuss the strengths and weaknesses of the characters and tell whether you think they are related to gender or are just an author's rendering.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the differences in Coomy, who seems to have everything, and Roxana, who has to scrape to get by. How does each woman relate to her family? Are the reasons for the differences caused by personality, social standing, security? Discuss which you think is the more balanced and happier of the two and tell why.
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)