|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What request does Nariman make of Daisy after she first plays her violin for him?
(a) That she play his favorite song over and over.
(b) That she play her violin as he goes to sleep.
(c) That she play her violin as he lies dying.
(d) That she play her violin to wake him up.
2. Why does Yezad go to the store where he works on Christmas day?
(a) To help Kapur play Santa.
(b) To work overtime on the holiday.
(c) To return the money he took.
(d) To return a tool he had borrowed.
3. Why does Coomy agree to allow Edul Munshi to help fix up her apartment?
(a) He will finish quickly.
(b) He will take so long Nariman will never come home.
(c) He is known for his excellent craftsmanship.
(d) He will not charge much.
4. Why does Yezad have trouble finding another job?
(a) Yezad has a reputation as a trouble maker.
(b) No one wants someone connected with a murder.
(c) No one wants a person with Yezad's experience.
(d) Yezad is too old to find another job.
5. Why does Kapur not respond to Yezad's request about his new responsibilities?
(a) Kapur is mad at Yezad for breaking an ornament,
(b) Kapur has not made up his mind about the new responsibilities.
(c) Kapur tells Yezad he will find out in time.
(d) Kapur is too excited about his Christmas decorations.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many rupees does Yezad give Villie for Matka?
2. What two things bring Yezad comfort as the story nears its end?
3. What does Yezad do when he comes to the fires temple?
4. What is Kapur's justification for not being treated like a common person?
5. What message does Mrs. Kapur have for Yezad when he meets her at the store?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Murad do in order to have enough money to buy Christmas presents for his family?
2. What are some of Yezad's thoughts and actions in Chapter 15 that show he is changing?
3. What happens with Kapur and the children when Kapur puts on his Santa costume?
4. What impact does Mr. Kapur's decision about running for municipal council have on Yezad?
5. As the family leaves Pleasant Villa for the last time, Roxana and Jehangir look out the car window and see the same bird, but each one interprets it differently. How do Roxana and Jehangir see the bird differently?
6. What changes in behavior does Kapur make in order to become more like the common people?
7. Describe why both Roxana and Yezad are puzzled about the amount of money in the budget envelopes.
8. What effect has acting as homework monitor had on Jehangir?
9. When Yezad wakes up during the night with chest pains, what does he attribute the cause to?
10. In what ways do Jal and Yezad begin to act differently after Coomy and Kapur's deaths?
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)