|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What excuse does Kapur give for not running for municipal office?
(a) He is too busy with the store.
(b) It is not the right time.
(c) His wife is against it.
(d) He does not have enough money.
2. What is Yezad's explanation for the extra money?
(a) He admits to playing Matka.
(b) He says maybe Mr. Kapur paid him extra commissions.
(c) He says he has worked overtime.
(d) He tells Roxana she must have miscounted.
3. What is the good omen that Roxana sees as the family leaves Pleasant Villa?
(a) A white dove.
(b) A bird.
(c) A butterfly.
(d) A moth.
4. What is Kapur's justification for not being treated like a common person?
(a) He thinks he looks too much like a rich man.
(b) He is too well known in the community.
(c) He does not attend the temple.
(d) His family is not from Bombay.
5. How does Mrs. Kapur act when Yezad asks about his Christmas present from Mr. Kapur?
(a) She says Yezad must have been mistaken about Kapur's intention.
(b) She says Yezad is fortunate to have had such a good boss.
(c) She says he would never give such a valuable gift.
(d) She says if Yezad can find it he can have it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What good news does Yezad have when he comes home from work?
2. What upsets the inspector most about the Parsi community?
3. What is Nariman's observation about how Coomy died?
4. How did Kapur react to Yezad's story in Chapter 15?
5. Why does Nariman become agitated when Jal leaves after having dinner with the Chenoy family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What excuses do Roxana and Yezad make for Jehangir when his teacher tells them Jehangir has been taking bribes as homework monitor? How is Jehangir punished?
2. Describe why both Roxana and Yezad are puzzled about the amount of money in the budget envelopes.
3. When Yezad wakes up during the night with chest pains, what does he attribute the cause to?
4. What can we learn about the relationship between Roxana and Yezad when Yezad tells Roxana he lost their money playing Matka?
5. In what ways do Jal and Yezad begin to act differently after Coomy and Kapur's deaths?
6. What does Yezad learn when he calls Mr. Kapur to say he will not be in to work because of Coomy's death?
7. How does Jal try to placate Edul Munshi's wife while Edul finishes the work in Jal and Coomy's apartment?
8. How does Yezad's plan to coerce Kapur to run for municipal council backfire?
9. What are Mr. Kapur's wife's reasons for not wanting him to run for public office?
10. As the family leaves Pleasant Villa for the last time, Roxana and Jehangir look out the car window and see the same bird, but each one interprets it differently. How do Roxana and Jehangir see the bird differently?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)