|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Yezad get to work?
(a) By car.
(b) By foot.
(c) By train.
(d) By bus.
2. What do Coomy and Jal hear Nariman doing whenever they pass the room he stays in while his ankle heals?
(a) He is talking to Roxana.
(b) He is talking to himself.
(c) He is complaining about his care.
(d) He is crying.
3. What relation are Murad and Jehangir to Nariman?
(a) They are his stepchildren.
(b) They are his foster children.
(c) They are his son and daughter.
(d) They are his grandchildren.
4. What is Jal's concern about leaving his father at Roxana's?
(a) He wonders how it will affect family relationships.
(b) He wonders if Nariman will resent Jal and Coomy for moving him.
(c) He thinks it is the best option they have.
(d) He wonders how Yezad will react to having Narinam around.
5. What does Husain do when he is having a "bad" day?
(a) He follows Yezad around and mutters.
(b) He does not show up for work.
(c) He sits in a corner and cries.
(d) He cowers in the storeroom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens the first time Nariman attempts to walk when he gets back to Roxana's?
2. What is Coomy's first concern after getting rid of Nariman?
3. What is the predominant mood of the dinner party?
4. What is Coomy preparing to do when Yezad and Roxana arrive at her home to discuss her concerns for Nariman?
5. What news about his intentions does Mr. Kapur share with Yezad as they get together after work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the living conditions for Nariman Vakeel at the beginning of the novel.
2. Describe Coomy's action and Nariman's reaction when Nariman asks Coomy to clean his teeth.
3. Why is it important to Yezad that Kapur run for municipal office?
4. What is Nariman's relationship with his family?
5. What is Dr. Tarapore's diagnosis when Coomy and Jal consult him about Nariman's crying episodes?
6. What effect is Nariman's prolonged stay having on Roxana and Yezad, and what does Nariman tell them to do about it?
7. Describe Roxana's relationship with Coomy and Jal.
8. What does Murad do in Chapter 10 that angers Yezad, and why is this significant?
9. What type of person is Coomy?
10. How has the Chenoy family financial situation affected Murad and Jehangir?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)