|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Miss Alvarez think of the position of homework monitor?
(a) It illustrates maturity.
(b) It illustrates good citizenship.
(c) It illustrates responsibility.
(d) It illustrates honesty.
2. What is Jal upset with Coomy about after Roxana and Yezad leave?
(a) He was ashamed that the house wasn't clean for Roxana and Yezad.
(b) He wants Nariman to come home immediately.
(c) He thinks she has lied to her family.
(d) He says Coomy has ruined family relations.
3. How does Dr. Tarapore's impending visit affect Nariman?
(a) He is worried he is not healing fast enough.
(b) He get a bad headache.
(c) He has a nervous stomach.
(d) He gets excited.
4. What is Roxana's advice to Jehangir about writing a book?
(a) He should not write about his own family.
(b) He should be careful not to hurt anyone's feelings.
(c) He should only write the truth.
(d) He should only write nice things.
5. Which of the following does not describe Vilas Rane?
(a) He is unemployed.
(b) He works in a bookstore.
(c) He writes letters for others.
(d) He is a friend of Yezad.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yezad give Villie for helping him with Matka?
2. In a flashback, Nariman recalls a person who makes him happy. Who is it?
3. What does Nariman tell Roxana when she takes him in?
4. When does Coomy intend to let Nariman come home?
5. What does Coomy confess to Jal about caring for their father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Roxana do with the plaster the doctor removes from Nariman's cast, and why is it significant to the rest of the story?
2. What is the basis of the argument between Coomy and Roxana at the beginning of Chapter 9? How is this argument different from others they have had?
3. Why is it important to Yezad that Kapur run for municipal office?
4. Who is Husain and what is his role in the story?
5. What is the significance of Yezad's visit to Villie Cardmaster?
6. What is Nariman's relationship with his family?
7. What is the difference in how Coomy and Nariman feel after Roxana and her family leave?
8. Nariman is well known in the Bombay medical community. What evidence is there that his opinion is valued?
9. What is the subject of Nariman's flashbacks, and why is mention of his flashbacks important to the story?
10. What do you learn about Coomy from her actions in Chapter 5?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)