|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of the story, Nariman is preparing to celebrate which birthday?
(a) His eightieth.
(b) His seventy-eighth.
(c) His seventy-seventh.
(d) His seventy-ninth.
2. Why does Coomy request that Phoola Phoola clean her room first?
(a) So she can watch to see that it is done correctly.
(b) So she can go back to bed.
(c) Because it was not cleaned the last time.
(d) So she can spend time with her father.
3. What is Coomy preparing to do when Yezad and Roxana arrive at her home to discuss her concerns for Nariman?
(c) Make room for Nariman.
4. What happens the first time Nariman attempts to walk when he gets back to Roxana's?
(a) He stumbles, but manages to limp to the table.
(b) Nariman gives up once he puts his foot on the floor.
(c) His ankle breaks again.
(d) It goes very well.
5. What makes Roxana check on Nariman while he sleeps?
(a) She thinks he needs help.
(b) She wants to be sure he is breathing.
(c) She thinks he called her name.
(d) She thinks she hears him coughing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Coomy initially ask for help when Nariman is brought home with an injured ankle?
2. What does Nariman encourage Roxana and Yezad to do to help their financial situation?
3. What does the x-ray of Nariman's ankle reveal?
4. Which of the following is not part of the special greeting Murad and Jehangir share with Nariman?
5. What is Nariman's response about moving to Roxana's?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the Chenoy family financial situation affected Murad and Jehangir?
2. Describe the living conditions for Nariman Vakeel at the beginning of the novel.
3. What is Nariman's deepest regret?
4. What is Dr. Tarapore's diagnosis when Coomy and Jal consult him about Nariman's crying episodes?
5. What do you learn about Coomy from her actions in Chapter 5?
6. What does Murad do in Chapter 10 that angers Yezad, and why is this significant?
7. What effect is Nariman's prolonged stay having on Roxana and Yezad, and what does Nariman tell them to do about it?
8. What type of person is Coomy?
9. What examples can you find in Chapter 4 to prove that Coomy is selfish and only pretends to think of others first?
10. What is the difference in how Coomy and Nariman feel after Roxana and her family leave?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)