|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Roxana tell Yezad that Nariman will stay with them?
(a) Until he is well.
(b) Three days.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Three months.
2. What does Coomy confess to Jal about caring for their father?
(a) She says she hates that he is dependent upon them.
(b) She says she hates the work of caring for him.
(c) She says wishes they had a better relationship.
(d) She says she knows Nariman likes Roxana better.
3. Why does Roxana stop Jehangir from explaining his book to Nariman?
(a) She needs Jehangir's help in the kitchen.
(b) Jehangir is making too much noise.
(c) Nariman is not interested in what Jehangir reads.
(d) Nariman has fallen asleep.
4. What are Roxana and Yezad most concerned about when it looks like Nariman will be staying with them for a while?
(a) The fact that Nariman is not healing.
(b) Coomy and Jal's indifference to their father.
(c) Their finances.
(d) The effect of Nariman's presence on their boys.
5. How long will Nariman have to care for his foot?
(a) Four hours.
(b) Four months.
(c) Four weeks.
(d) Four days.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens as the Chenoys wait at the bus stop?
2. What is Matka?
3. Who asks Nariman for his assistance while he is in the hospital?
4. What news about his intentions does Mr. Kapur share with Yezad as they get together after work?
5. What is the subject of the argument between Roxana and Coomy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the living conditions for Nariman Vakeel at the beginning of the novel.
2. What do you know of VIkram Kapur from the incidents in Chapter 7?
3. What arguments to Vilas and his friends use to discourage Yezad from playing Matka?
4. Describe the living conditions for the Chenoy family.
5. Describe the atmosphere in the Vakeel home after Roxana and her family arrive.
6. What is one of Coomy's worst fears and how is it realized?
7. What is the basis of the argument between Coomy and Roxana at the beginning of Chapter 9? How is this argument different from others they have had?
8. What is the subject of Nariman's flashbacks, and why is mention of his flashbacks important to the story?
9. Describe the tactics Coomy uses to convince Roxana to let Nariman stay at Roxana's.
10. Who is Husain and what is his role in the story?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)