|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is happening to Nariman as the story progresses?
(a) He is becoming more loving.
(b) He is becoming more alert.
(c) He is becoming more aware of his mortality.
(d) He is living less and less in the present world.
2. Why does Phoola Phoola quit?
(a) Nariman has had a bowel movement in his bed.
(b) Nariman is too mean to her.
(c) The whole apartment is too filthy to clean.
(d) Coomy is too mean to her.
3. What does Roxana wish to talk to Coomy about when she goes to Chateau Felicity?
(a) Nariman's health.
(b) Nariman's diet.
(c) Nariman's medicine.
(d) Nariman's will.
4. At the beginning of the story, Nariman is preparing to celebrate which birthday?
(a) His eightieth.
(b) His seventy-ninth.
(c) His seventy-seventh.
(d) His seventy-eighth.
5. What do Coomy and Jal do at home to keep Nariman from coming back?
(a) They change the locks.
(b) They leave on an extended vacation.
(c) They destroy the ceilings.
(d) They set fire to Nariman's room.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news about his intentions does Mr. Kapur share with Yezad as they get together after work?
2. What reason does Coomy give Nariman for not telling Roxana and Yezad about his accident?
3. What does Miss Alvarez think of the position of homework monitor?
4. Why does Roxana stop Jehangir from explaining his book to Nariman?
5. When Roxana and her family arrive for dinner, what is Coomy's reaction?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the living conditions for Nariman Vakeel at the beginning of the novel.
2. Describe how Nariman's arrival changes things for the Chenoy family.
3. Who is Husain and what is his role in the story?
4. What indications are there in Chapter 8 that Nariman is not likely to ever go back to his own home?
5. What is the subject of Nariman's flashbacks, and why is mention of his flashbacks important to the story?
6. What is the significance of Yezad's visit to Villie Cardmaster?
7. What is Nariman's deepest regret?
8. Why is it important to Yezad that Kapur run for municipal office?
9. How has the Chenoy family financial situation affected Murad and Jehangir?
10. What arguments to Vilas and his friends use to discourage Yezad from playing Matka?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)