|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Kapur react to Yezad's story in Chapter 15?
(a) He closed the store to avoid any more problems.
(b) He went into a rage and destroyed his window displays.
(c) He decided to do nothing immediately.
(d) He complimented Yezad on a job well done.
2. What does Roxana smell on Yezad when he comes home one evening?
(a) He smells of alcohol.
(b) He smells of perfume.
(c) He smells of cigarette smoke.
(d) He smells of sandalwood.
3. Why does Kapur not respond to Yezad's request about his new responsibilities?
(a) Kapur is mad at Yezad for breaking an ornament,
(b) Kapur has not made up his mind about the new responsibilities.
(c) Kapur is too excited about his Christmas decorations.
(d) Kapur tells Yezad he will find out in time.
4. In Nariman's dream about a time when Lucy worked for another family in his building, what is Lucy doing?
(a) Singing and threatening to jump.
(b) Crying and threatening to quit.
(c) Singing as she cleans the apartment.
(d) Crying and complaining about the heavy work load.
5. What items does Mr. Kapur order for his store during the holiday season?
(a) Decorations for all the religious holidays.
(b) Fancy Christmas decorations.
(c) Food and wine to celebrate Christmas.
(d) Enough supplies for a second store.
6. Why does Yezad have trouble finding another job?
(a) No one wants someone connected with a murder.
(b) No one wants a person with Yezad's experience.
(c) Yezad is too old to find another job.
(d) Yezad has a reputation as a trouble maker.
7. What does Jehangir have to do after putting old and wrinkled money in the budget envelopes?
(a) Carefully seal the envelopes.
(b) Ask his mother to double check the envelopes.
(c) Wash his hands.
(d) He is not required to do anything.
8. Why does Yezad meet with Vilas and his two actor friends?
(a) To go together to meet the Shiv Sena.
(b) To finalize the details of their scam.
(c) To discuss the play Vilas is writing.
(d) To write a letter to convince Kapur to run for office.
9. How do Coomy and Edul Munshi die?
(a) They fall from the roof.
(b) The ladder they are standing on gives way beneath them.
(c) The plaster from the ceiling falls and smothers them.
(d) A steel girder falls on them.
10. What does Yezad tell Vilas he is troubled about?
(a) Kapur has given him too much responsibility.
(b) There are too many Christmas decorations.
(c) He cannot get Nariman out of his house.
(d) He has lost a chance at promotion.
11. What dream does Nariman have that causes him to wake up screaming?
(a) Yasmin has pushed Lucy off the roof.
(b) Lucy has pushed Yasmine off the roof.
(c) Yasmin and Lucy have fallen from the roof.
(d) Nariman has fallen from the room with Yasmin and Lucy.
12. What does Murad get Jehangir for Christmas?
(a) Three rupees.
(b) Three magzines.
(c) Three books.
(d) Three pictures.
13. What does Yezad tell Jehangir that his name means?
(a) King of India.
(b) King of the world.
(c) Conqueror of India.
(d) Conqueror of the world.
14. Why does Coomy agree to allow Edul Munshi to help fix up her apartment?
(a) He will take so long Nariman will never come home.
(b) He is known for his excellent craftsmanship.
(c) He will not charge much.
(d) He will finish quickly.
15. In Nariman's words, how would you complete this sentence, "the loss of home ...?
(a) ...creates a huge empty space."
(b) ...leaves an emptiness that can never be filled."
(c) ,,,leaves a hole that can never be filled."
(d) ...leave a hole that is too big to fill."
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Nariman's observation about how Coomy died?
2. How do Jehangir's parents react to being called to school on his behalf?
3. What is the plan that Yezad has developed that requires Vilas' help?
4. What is Kapur's first step to becoming more like the common people?
5. What message does Mrs. Kapur have for Yezad when he meets her at the store?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)