|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Nariman become agitated when Jal leaves after having dinner with the Chenoy family?
(a) He does not want Jal to leave.
(b) No one knows.
(c) He misses Coomy.
(d) He wants the family to stay together.
2. What does Murad get Jehangir for Christmas?
(a) Three rupees.
(b) Three books.
(c) Three pictures.
(d) Three magzines.
3. Who goes to help Nariman when he asks for the urinal?
(d) No one.
4. What does Yezad tell Vilas he is troubled about?
(a) He cannot get Nariman out of his house.
(b) Kapur has given him too much responsibility.
(c) There are too many Christmas decorations.
(d) He has lost a chance at promotion.
5. What does Yezad think of as he sits with Nariman in the evening?
(a) He tries to visualize Nariman well.
(b) The agony Nariman is going through.
(c) He is grateful he is not Nariman.
(d) The pain that Nariman is to those who care for him.
6. What is Yezad's excuse for not helping Nariman with his urinal?
(a) He thinks Nariman is too needy.
(b) He considers helping Nariman to be Roxana's job.
(c) Yezad promised himself that he would never touch the bedpan or urinal.
(d) He cannot stand to be around Nariman.
7. What happens to Yezad when he stops at the temple and stays for prayers?
(a) He realizes he no longer has a place in the temple.
(b) He has a great feeling of peace.
(c) He realizes he has forgotten all the prayers.
(d) He becomes confused about why he is there.
8. How did Kapur react to Yezad's story in Chapter 15?
(a) He went into a rage and destroyed his window displays.
(b) He complimented Yezad on a job well done.
(c) He decided to do nothing immediately.
(d) He closed the store to avoid any more problems.
9. Why does Coomy agree to allow Edul Munshi to help fix up her apartment?
(a) He is known for his excellent craftsmanship.
(b) He will take so long Nariman will never come home.
(c) He will finish quickly.
(d) He will not charge much.
10. What does Edul say he must use to repair Nariman's room?
(a) A new wood beam.
(b) Many coats of plaster.
(c) A steel girder.
(d) Heavy aluminum panels.
11. What dream does Nariman have that causes him to wake up screaming?
(a) Yasmin has pushed Lucy off the roof.
(b) Lucy has pushed Yasmine off the roof.
(c) Nariman has fallen from the room with Yasmin and Lucy.
(d) Yasmin and Lucy have fallen from the roof.
12. How do the children react to Kapur?
(a) Most are eager to sit on Santa's lap.
(b) Most are afraid of the Santa suit.
(c) Most are afraid of the Santa suit.
(d) Most jus want the candy Santa has to offer.
13. How do Jehangir's parents react to being called to school on his behalf?
(a) They sign him up for summer school.
(b) They give him extra chores.
(c) They ask Nariman what to do.
(d) They do nothing.
14. What is Yezad's explanation for the extra money?
(a) He says he has worked overtime.
(b) He says maybe Mr. Kapur paid him extra commissions.
(c) He tells Roxana she must have miscounted.
(d) He admits to playing Matka.
15. What does Jal find when he goes to visit Nariman at Pleasant Villa?
(a) Daisy is giving Nariman music lessons.
(b) Daisy is playing her violin for Nariman.
(c) Daisy has moved in with Roxana and Yezad.
(d) Daisy is taking care of Nariman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What awakens Yezad in the middle of the night?
2. What is Kapur's first step to becoming more like the common people?
3. What proposition does Jal make to Yezad and Roxana?
4. Who finally helps Nariman with the urinal?
5. What two things bring Yezad comfort as the story nears its end?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)