|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the good omen that Roxana sees as the family leaves Pleasant Villa?
(a) A bird.
(b) A white dove.
(c) A butterfly.
(d) A moth.
2. Why does Yezad meet with Vilas and his two actor friends?
(a) To discuss the play Vilas is writing.
(b) To write a letter to convince Kapur to run for office.
(c) To go together to meet the Shiv Sena.
(d) To finalize the details of their scam.
3. Who finally helps Nariman with the urinal?
4. What upsets the inspector most about the Parsi community?
(a) He thinks it is getting too large.
(b) He thinks they do not have enough schools.
(c) He thinks it is shrinking.
(d) He thinks too many Parsi are uneducated.
5. Why does Nariman become agitated when Jal leaves after having dinner with the Chenoy family?
(a) He wants the family to stay together.
(b) He misses Coomy.
(c) No one knows.
(d) He does not want Jal to leave.
6. What does Edul say he must use to repair Nariman's room?
(a) Heavy aluminum panels.
(b) A new wood beam.
(c) Many coats of plaster.
(d) A steel girder.
7. What does Yezad do when he comes to the fires temple?
(a) He watches people file in for services.
(b) He crosses the street to avoid it.
(c) He goes in to pray.
(d) He watches a man pray then leaves.
8. Why does Yezad not want Kapur to pay the Shiv Sena?
(a) Yezad wants Kapur to stand up for himself.
(b) Yezad knows Kapur cannot afford it.
(c) Yezad knows the Shiv Sena will never get enough.
(d) Yezad wants Kapur to run for office.
9. Why does Miss Alvarez ask to speak to Jehangir's parents?
(a) She wants to tell them she is quitting.
(b) Jehangir has been taking bribes as homework monitor.
(c) She wants to tell them how good Jehangir is.
(d) Jehangir is being released as homework monitor.
10. What does Murad get Jehangir for Christmas?
(a) Three magzines.
(b) Three books.
(c) Three rupees.
(d) Three pictures.
11. What does Jal tell Roxana and Yezad would happen if he had his way about things?
(a) Roxana and Yezad would move to a larger place.
(b) He would be able to give them more money.
(c) They would put Nariman in a nursing home.
(d) They would all live at Chateau Felicity.
12. Why does Kapur not respond to Yezad's request about his new responsibilities?
(a) Kapur is mad at Yezad for breaking an ornament,
(b) Kapur has not made up his mind about the new responsibilities.
(c) Kapur tells Yezad he will find out in time.
(d) Kapur is too excited about his Christmas decorations.
13. What request does Nariman make of Daisy after she first plays her violin for him?
(a) That she play her violin as he goes to sleep.
(b) That she play her violin as he lies dying.
(c) That she play his favorite song over and over.
(d) That she play her violin to wake him up.
14. What is Kapur's first step to becoming more like the common people?
(a) He sells his watch.
(b) He gives his expensive clothes away.
(c) He sells his car.
(d) He buys a train pass.
15. What is Nariman's observation about how Coomy died?
(a) He says she died much too soon.
(b) He says she died full of anger.
(c) He says she brought it on herself.
(d) He says she died doing what she loved.
Short Answer Questions
1. What good news does Yezad have when he comes home from work?
2. How do Jehangir's parents react to being called to school on his behalf?
3. Why does Coomy agree to allow Edul Munshi to help fix up her apartment?
4. What is Mr. Kapur's wife's view of public service?
5. What is Kapur's justification for not being treated like a common person?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)