|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What excuse does Kapur give for not running for municipal office?
(a) He is too busy with the store.
(b) It is not the right time.
(c) His wife is against it.
(d) He does not have enough money.
2. What message does Mrs. Kapur have for Yezad when he meets her at the store?
(a) Only Yezad can learn to run the store as Kapur did.
(b) She offers to sell the store to Yezad.
(c) The store is closed and he must clear out his things.
(d) The store is closed, but he is needed to do inventory.
3. What does Yezad do with his application papers for emigration to Canada?
(a) He files them for future use.
(b) He checks them carefully and mails them.
(c) He tears them up.
(d) He asks his lawyer to look at them.
4. How do Jehangir's parents react to being called to school on his behalf?
(a) They sign him up for summer school.
(b) They give him extra chores.
(c) They ask Nariman what to do.
(d) They do nothing.
5. What proposition does Jal make to Yezad and Roxana?
(a) That they sell their flat and move into Chateau Felicity.
(b) They they hire a nurse for Nariman.
(c) That they send Jehangir, Murad, and Nariman to Chateau Felicity.
(d) That they remodel Pleasant Villa.
6. How did Kapur react to Yezad's story in Chapter 15?
(a) He went into a rage and destroyed his window displays.
(b) He complimented Yezad on a job well done.
(c) He decided to do nothing immediately.
(d) He closed the store to avoid any more problems.
7. What is Kapur's reaction when Yezad asks for an advance?
(a) He tells Yezad he will have to work for it.
(b) He tells Yezad that if he gets an advance he will have to accept more responsibility.
(c) He grants the advance without question.
(d) He does not bother to answer Yezad.
8. What is Nariman's observation about how Coomy died?
(a) He says she died full of anger.
(b) He says she brought it on herself.
(c) He says she died much too soon.
(d) He says she died doing what she loved.
9. How do Coomy and Edul Munshi die?
(a) They fall from the roof.
(b) A steel girder falls on them.
(c) The ladder they are standing on gives way beneath them.
(d) The plaster from the ceiling falls and smothers them.
10. In Nariman's dream about a time when Lucy worked for another family in his building, what is Lucy doing?
(a) Singing and threatening to jump.
(b) Crying and threatening to quit.
(c) Singing as she cleans the apartment.
(d) Crying and complaining about the heavy work load.
11. What is the good omen that Roxana sees as the family leaves Pleasant Villa?
(a) A bird.
(b) A white dove.
(c) A butterfly.
(d) A moth.
12. What is the plan that Yezad has developed that requires Vilas' help?
(a) To steal every Christmas decoration they can find.
(b) To have Vilas help Yezad destroy Kapur's Christmas decorations.
(c) To have Shiv Sena destroy all the Santa Claus displays in the stores.
(d) To have Vilas help Yezad protect Kapur's store.
13. How does Mrs. Kapur act when Yezad asks about his Christmas present from Mr. Kapur?
(a) She says Yezad is fortunate to have had such a good boss.
(b) She says he would never give such a valuable gift.
(c) She says if Yezad can find it he can have it.
(d) She says Yezad must have been mistaken about Kapur's intention.
14. Why does Kapur not respond to Yezad's request about his new responsibilities?
(a) Kapur is mad at Yezad for breaking an ornament,
(b) Kapur tells Yezad he will find out in time.
(c) Kapur is too excited about his Christmas decorations.
(d) Kapur has not made up his mind about the new responsibilities.
15. What is Yezad's explanation for the extra money?
(a) He says he has worked overtime.
(b) He tells Roxana she must have miscounted.
(c) He admits to playing Matka.
(d) He says maybe Mr. Kapur paid him extra commissions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yezad tell Kapur happened while Kapur was out getting his blood pressure checked?
2. What does Yezad think of as he sits with Nariman in the evening?
3. In Nariman's words, how would you complete this sentence, "the loss of home ...?
4. What dream does Nariman have that causes him to wake up screaming?
5. What gift does Kapur give Yezad?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)