|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Miss Alvarez ask to speak to Jehangir's parents?
(a) She wants to tell them she is quitting.
(b) Jehangir has been taking bribes as homework monitor.
(c) Jehangir is being released as homework monitor.
(d) She wants to tell them how good Jehangir is.
2. Why does Coomy agree to allow Edul Munshi to help fix up her apartment?
(a) He will take so long Nariman will never come home.
(b) He will not charge much.
(c) He is known for his excellent craftsmanship.
(d) He will finish quickly.
3. What does Jehangir have to do after putting old and wrinkled money in the budget envelopes?
(a) He is not required to do anything.
(b) Carefully seal the envelopes.
(c) Ask his mother to double check the envelopes.
(d) Wash his hands.
4. What is Kapur's first step to becoming more like the common people?
(a) He sells his car.
(b) He gives his expensive clothes away.
(c) He sells his watch.
(d) He buys a train pass.
5. How do Coomy and Edul Munshi die?
(a) The ladder they are standing on gives way beneath them.
(b) They fall from the roof.
(c) The plaster from the ceiling falls and smothers them.
(d) A steel girder falls on them.
6. What good news does Yezad have when he comes home from work?
(a) The elevator is working.
(b) He got a raise.
(c) Nariman is going home.
(d) Kapur is selling the store.
7. How do the children react to Kapur?
(a) Most are eager to sit on Santa's lap.
(b) Most are afraid of the Santa suit.
(c) Most jus want the candy Santa has to offer.
(d) Most are afraid of the Santa suit.
8. What message does Mrs. Kapur have for Yezad when he meets her at the store?
(a) She offers to sell the store to Yezad.
(b) Only Yezad can learn to run the store as Kapur did.
(c) The store is closed, but he is needed to do inventory.
(d) The store is closed and he must clear out his things.
9. What awakens Yezad in the middle of the night?
(a) Leg cramp.s
(b) Chest pains.
(c) His children.
(d) A siren.
10. What two things bring Yezad comfort as the story nears its end?
(a) Family and the temple.
(b) Work and family.
(c) Work and the temple
(d) Family and friends.
11. What arrives at Kapur's store that he get all excited about?
(a) Supplies for a second store.
(b) Members of the Shiv Sena.
(c) Lots of children.
(d) His Santa suit.
12. What request does Jehangir make one evening as he is having supper with his family?
(a) To leave home.
(b) To change his religion.
(c) To leave school.
(d) To change his name.
13. How many rupees does Yezad give Villie for Matka?
(a) Less than 700.
(b) More than 700.
(c) More than 800.
(d) Over 7,000.
14. What does Yezad do with his application papers for emigration to Canada?
(a) He files them for future use.
(b) He asks his lawyer to look at them.
(c) He tears them up.
(d) He checks them carefully and mails them.
15. Why does Nariman become agitated when Jal leaves after having dinner with the Chenoy family?
(a) He wants the family to stay together.
(b) He does not want Jal to leave.
(c) No one knows.
(d) He misses Coomy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Yezad meet with Vilas and his two actor friends?
2. How does Edul's wife describe Nariman's home?
3. How did Kapur react to Yezad's story in Chapter 15?
4. What is Kapur's reaction when Yezad asks for an advance?
5. Why does Yezad not want Kapur to pay the Shiv Sena?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)