|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What awakens Yezad in the middle of the night?
(a) Chest pains.
(b) His children.
(c) Leg cramp.s
(d) A siren.
2. What upsets the inspector most about the Parsi community?
(a) He thinks it is getting too large.
(b) He thinks it is shrinking.
(c) He thinks they do not have enough schools.
(d) He thinks too many Parsi are uneducated.
3. Who goes to help Nariman when he asks for the urinal?
(d) No one.
4. What does Yezad do with his application papers for emigration to Canada?
(a) He tears them up.
(b) He checks them carefully and mails them.
(c) He files them for future use.
(d) He asks his lawyer to look at them.
5. What dream does Nariman have that causes him to wake up screaming?
(a) Yasmin and Lucy have fallen from the roof.
(b) Lucy has pushed Yasmine off the roof.
(c) Nariman has fallen from the room with Yasmin and Lucy.
(d) Yasmin has pushed Lucy off the roof.
6. In Nariman's words, how would you complete this sentence, "the loss of home ...?
(a) ...leaves an emptiness that can never be filled."
(b) ...leave a hole that is too big to fill."
(c) ...creates a huge empty space."
(d) ,,,leaves a hole that can never be filled."
7. What is Kapur's justification for not being treated like a common person?
(a) He is too well known in the community.
(b) He does not attend the temple.
(c) His family is not from Bombay.
(d) He thinks he looks too much like a rich man.
8. What is the plan that Yezad has developed that requires Vilas' help?
(a) To have Shiv Sena destroy all the Santa Claus displays in the stores.
(b) To have Vilas help Yezad destroy Kapur's Christmas decorations.
(c) To steal every Christmas decoration they can find.
(d) To have Vilas help Yezad protect Kapur's store.
9. What excuse does Kapur give for not running for municipal office?
(a) He does not have enough money.
(b) His wife is against it.
(c) He is too busy with the store.
(d) It is not the right time.
10. Why does Nariman become agitated when Jal leaves after having dinner with the Chenoy family?
(a) He misses Coomy.
(b) He does not want Jal to leave.
(c) He wants the family to stay together.
(d) No one knows.
11. What does Yezad do when Vilas tries to tell him about one of his recent clients?
(a) Yezad asks if they can talk about the client later.
(b) Yezad listens carefully so he can help Vilas.
(c) Yezad tells Vilas he should not interfere in his client's lives.
(d) Yezad interrupts to talk about his own agenda.
12. What does Edul say he must use to repair Nariman's room?
(a) A new wood beam.
(b) Many coats of plaster.
(c) Heavy aluminum panels.
(d) A steel girder.
13. What is Mr. Kapur's wife's view of public service?
(a) Service to community comes first.
(b) Service to family is a woman's duty.
(c) Service to family comes first.
(d) Service to community is for young men.
14. What is Nariman's observation about how Coomy died?
(a) He says she brought it on herself.
(b) He says she died full of anger.
(c) He says she died doing what she loved.
(d) He says she died much too soon.
15. What arrives at Kapur's store that he get all excited about?
(a) His Santa suit.
(b) Lots of children.
(c) Supplies for a second store.
(d) Members of the Shiv Sena.
Short Answer Questions
1. What proposition does Jal make to Yezad and Roxana?
2. What does Yezad tell Jehangir that his name means?
3. Why does Yezad not want Kapur to pay the Shiv Sena?
4. What happens to Yezad when he stops at the temple and stays for prayers?
5. What is Kapur's reaction when Yezad asks for an advance?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)