|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the children react to Kapur?
(a) Most are afraid of the Santa suit.
(b) Most are afraid of the Santa suit.
(c) Most are eager to sit on Santa's lap.
(d) Most jus want the candy Santa has to offer.
2. What is Yezad's excuse for not helping Nariman with his urinal?
(a) He thinks Nariman is too needy.
(b) He cannot stand to be around Nariman.
(c) He considers helping Nariman to be Roxana's job.
(d) Yezad promised himself that he would never touch the bedpan or urinal.
3. What good news does Yezad have when he comes home from work?
(a) Nariman is going home.
(b) He got a raise.
(c) Kapur is selling the store.
(d) The elevator is working.
4. What request does Nariman make of Daisy after she first plays her violin for him?
(a) That she play his favorite song over and over.
(b) That she play her violin as he lies dying.
(c) That she play her violin as he goes to sleep.
(d) That she play her violin to wake him up.
5. What does Yezad think of as he sits with Nariman in the evening?
(a) The agony Nariman is going through.
(b) He is grateful he is not Nariman.
(c) The pain that Nariman is to those who care for him.
(d) He tries to visualize Nariman well.
6. What does Yezad do with his application papers for emigration to Canada?
(a) He tears them up.
(b) He files them for future use.
(c) He asks his lawyer to look at them.
(d) He checks them carefully and mails them.
7. What does Yezad tell Jehangir that his name means?
(a) King of India.
(b) Conqueror of India.
(c) Conqueror of the world.
(d) King of the world.
8. What is the good omen that Roxana sees as the family leaves Pleasant Villa?
(a) A bird.
(b) A moth.
(c) A butterfly.
(d) A white dove.
9. What does Edul say he must use to repair Nariman's room?
(a) Many coats of plaster.
(b) A new wood beam.
(c) A steel girder.
(d) Heavy aluminum panels.
10. How much extra money does Roxana find in the budget envelopes?
(a) One hundred and twenty rupees.
(b) Sixty rupees.
(c) Forty five rupees.
(d) One hundred and eighty rupees.
11. What gift does Kapur give Yezad?
(a) An extra Santa suit.
(b) Photos of the neighborhood where Yezad grew up.
(c) A bonus for coming in on the holiday.
(d) A lecture for leaving his family on Christmas.
12. How does Roxana react when Yezad tells her he has lost all their money?
(a) She makes him try to get it back.
(b) She makes him leave the house.
(c) She forgives him.
(d) She is stunned and cannot speak.
13. What items does Mr. Kapur order for his store during the holiday season?
(a) Fancy Christmas decorations.
(b) Enough supplies for a second store.
(c) Food and wine to celebrate Christmas.
(d) Decorations for all the religious holidays.
14. What request does Jehangir make one evening as he is having supper with his family?
(a) To leave home.
(b) To leave school.
(c) To change his name.
(d) To change his religion.
15. What does Jal tell Roxana and Yezad would happen if he had his way about things?
(a) He would be able to give them more money.
(b) Roxana and Yezad would move to a larger place.
(c) They would put Nariman in a nursing home.
(d) They would all live at Chateau Felicity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of reception does Yezad get from Kapur's wife?
2. What does Yezad do when Vilas tries to tell him about one of his recent clients?
3. What message does Mrs. Kapur have for Yezad when he meets her at the store?
4. What excuse does Kapur give for not running for municipal office?
5. Why does Yezad not want Kapur to pay the Shiv Sena?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)