|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Nariman's dream about a time when Lucy worked for another family in his building, what is Lucy doing?
(a) Crying and complaining about the heavy work load.
(b) Crying and threatening to quit.
(c) Singing as she cleans the apartment.
(d) Singing and threatening to jump.
2. What does Yezad tell Kapur happened while Kapur was out getting his blood pressure checked?
(a) Yezad promised that Kapur would remove the Christmas decorations.
(b) Two men from Shiv Sena came by and threatened him.
(c) The Shiv Sena announced their intentions to remove all Christmas decorations.
(d) Yezad paid the Shiv Sena to leave Kapur alone.
3. What does Yezad tell Vilas he is troubled about?
(a) There are too many Christmas decorations.
(b) He has lost a chance at promotion.
(c) He cannot get Nariman out of his house.
(d) Kapur has given him too much responsibility.
4. What does Jal find when he goes to visit Nariman at Pleasant Villa?
(a) Daisy is playing her violin for Nariman.
(b) Daisy is giving Nariman music lessons.
(c) Daisy has moved in with Roxana and Yezad.
(d) Daisy is taking care of Nariman.
5. What upsets the inspector most about the Parsi community?
(a) He thinks it is getting too large.
(b) He thinks it is shrinking.
(c) He thinks they do not have enough schools.
(d) He thinks too many Parsi are uneducated.
6. How many rupees does Yezad give Villie for Matka?
(a) More than 700.
(b) Less than 700.
(c) Over 7,000.
(d) More than 800.
7. What arrives at Kapur's store that he get all excited about?
(a) Supplies for a second store.
(b) Members of the Shiv Sena.
(c) His Santa suit.
(d) Lots of children.
8. What happens to Yezad when he stops at the temple and stays for prayers?
(a) He realizes he no longer has a place in the temple.
(b) He realizes he has forgotten all the prayers.
(c) He has a great feeling of peace.
(d) He becomes confused about why he is there.
9. What is Yezad's excuse for not helping Nariman with his urinal?
(a) He thinks Nariman is too needy.
(b) He cannot stand to be around Nariman.
(c) Yezad promised himself that he would never touch the bedpan or urinal.
(d) He considers helping Nariman to be Roxana's job.
10. What two things bring Yezad comfort as the story nears its end?
(a) Family and friends.
(b) Work and the temple
(c) Work and family.
(d) Family and the temple.
11. What does Jal share with Yezad and Roxana after Coomy's death?
(a) Leftovers from the funeral.
(b) Coomy's favorite recipes.
(c) Food he and Coomy had ordered.
(d) News about Coomy's will.
12. Who goes to help Nariman when he asks for the urinal?
(d) No one.
13. What is Mr. Kapur's wife's view of public service?
(a) Service to community is for young men.
(b) Service to family is a woman's duty.
(c) Service to family comes first.
(d) Service to community comes first.
14. Why does Yezad not want Kapur to pay the Shiv Sena?
(a) Yezad wants Kapur to stand up for himself.
(b) Yezad knows the Shiv Sena will never get enough.
(c) Yezad knows Kapur cannot afford it.
(d) Yezad wants Kapur to run for office.
15. What does Yezad think of as he sits with Nariman in the evening?
(a) He tries to visualize Nariman well.
(b) The agony Nariman is going through.
(c) He is grateful he is not Nariman.
(d) The pain that Nariman is to those who care for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Murad get Jehangir for Christmas?
2. Why does Miss Alvarez ask to speak to Jehangir's parents?
3. What awakens Yezad in the middle of the night?
4. What does Yezad tell Jehangir that his name means?
5. What request does Nariman make of Daisy after she first plays her violin for him?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)