|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Nariman's words, how would you complete this sentence, "the loss of home ...?
(a) ...leave a hole that is too big to fill."
(b) ...leaves an emptiness that can never be filled."
(c) ,,,leaves a hole that can never be filled."
(d) ...creates a huge empty space."
2. Why does Coomy agree to allow Edul Munshi to help fix up her apartment?
(a) He will take so long Nariman will never come home.
(b) He will not charge much.
(c) He is known for his excellent craftsmanship.
(d) He will finish quickly.
3. Why does Miss Alvarez ask to speak to Jehangir's parents?
(a) She wants to tell them how good Jehangir is.
(b) Jehangir is being released as homework monitor.
(c) She wants to tell them she is quitting.
(d) Jehangir has been taking bribes as homework monitor.
4. How did Kapur react to Yezad's story in Chapter 15?
(a) He decided to do nothing immediately.
(b) He closed the store to avoid any more problems.
(c) He went into a rage and destroyed his window displays.
(d) He complimented Yezad on a job well done.
5. What does Edul say he must use to repair Nariman's room?
(a) A steel girder.
(b) A new wood beam.
(c) Heavy aluminum panels.
(d) Many coats of plaster.
6. Why does Yezad have trouble finding another job?
(a) No one wants a person with Yezad's experience.
(b) No one wants someone connected with a murder.
(c) Yezad is too old to find another job.
(d) Yezad has a reputation as a trouble maker.
7. What does Jal find when he goes to visit Nariman at Pleasant Villa?
(a) Daisy is taking care of Nariman.
(b) Daisy is giving Nariman music lessons.
(c) Daisy has moved in with Roxana and Yezad.
(d) Daisy is playing her violin for Nariman.
8. How does Edul's wife describe Nariman's home?
(a) The house of much sadness.
(b) The house of happiness.
(c) The house of unhappiness.
(d) The house of uncertainty.
9. How does Mrs. Kapur act when Yezad asks about his Christmas present from Mr. Kapur?
(a) She says Yezad must have been mistaken about Kapur's intention.
(b) She says if Yezad can find it he can have it.
(c) She says Yezad is fortunate to have had such a good boss.
(d) She says he would never give such a valuable gift.
10. What does Roxana smell on Yezad when he comes home one evening?
(a) He smells of perfume.
(b) He smells of cigarette smoke.
(c) He smells of sandalwood.
(d) He smells of alcohol.
11. What is the good omen that Roxana sees as the family leaves Pleasant Villa?
(a) A white dove.
(b) A butterfly.
(c) A bird.
(d) A moth.
12. What does Yezad do when Vilas tries to tell him about one of his recent clients?
(a) Yezad interrupts to talk about his own agenda.
(b) Yezad listens carefully so he can help Vilas.
(c) Yezad asks if they can talk about the client later.
(d) Yezad tells Vilas he should not interfere in his client's lives.
13. What request does Nariman make of Daisy after she first plays her violin for him?
(a) That she play her violin to wake him up.
(b) That she play her violin as he goes to sleep.
(c) That she play his favorite song over and over.
(d) That she play her violin as he lies dying.
14. What is Nariman's observation about how Coomy died?
(a) He says she brought it on herself.
(b) He says she died full of anger.
(c) He says she died doing what she loved.
(d) He says she died much too soon.
15. What items does Mr. Kapur order for his store during the holiday season?
(a) Decorations for all the religious holidays.
(b) Food and wine to celebrate Christmas.
(c) Fancy Christmas decorations.
(d) Enough supplies for a second store.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Kapur give Yezad?
2. What is Kapur's justification for not being treated like a common person?
3. What dream does Nariman have that causes him to wake up screaming?
4. What two things bring Yezad comfort as the story nears its end?
5. How many rupees does Yezad give Villie for Matka?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)