|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Kapur not respond to Yezad's request about his new responsibilities?
(a) Kapur tells Yezad he will find out in time.
(b) Kapur is too excited about his Christmas decorations.
(c) Kapur is mad at Yezad for breaking an ornament,
(d) Kapur has not made up his mind about the new responsibilities.
2. In Nariman's words, how would you complete this sentence, "the loss of home ...?
(a) ...leaves an emptiness that can never be filled."
(b) ...leave a hole that is too big to fill."
(c) ,,,leaves a hole that can never be filled."
(d) ...creates a huge empty space."
3. Why does Yezad not want Kapur to pay the Shiv Sena?
(a) Yezad knows the Shiv Sena will never get enough.
(b) Yezad wants Kapur to stand up for himself.
(c) Yezad knows Kapur cannot afford it.
(d) Yezad wants Kapur to run for office.
4. What does Yezad tell Kapur happened while Kapur was out getting his blood pressure checked?
(a) Yezad promised that Kapur would remove the Christmas decorations.
(b) The Shiv Sena announced their intentions to remove all Christmas decorations.
(c) Two men from Shiv Sena came by and threatened him.
(d) Yezad paid the Shiv Sena to leave Kapur alone.
5. What request does Jehangir make one evening as he is having supper with his family?
(a) To leave school.
(b) To leave home.
(c) To change his name.
(d) To change his religion.
6. What is the plan that Yezad has developed that requires Vilas' help?
(a) To have Shiv Sena destroy all the Santa Claus displays in the stores.
(b) To have Vilas help Yezad protect Kapur's store.
(c) To have Vilas help Yezad destroy Kapur's Christmas decorations.
(d) To steal every Christmas decoration they can find.
7. What upsets the inspector most about the Parsi community?
(a) He thinks it is getting too large.
(b) He thinks it is shrinking.
(c) He thinks too many Parsi are uneducated.
(d) He thinks they do not have enough schools.
8. How does Roxana react when Yezad tells her he has lost all their money?
(a) She is stunned and cannot speak.
(b) She forgives him.
(c) She makes him try to get it back.
(d) She makes him leave the house.
9. What is Kapur's justification for not being treated like a common person?
(a) He thinks he looks too much like a rich man.
(b) He does not attend the temple.
(c) He is too well known in the community.
(d) His family is not from Bombay.
10. What good news does Yezad have when he comes home from work?
(a) Nariman is going home.
(b) Kapur is selling the store.
(c) The elevator is working.
(d) He got a raise.
11. What does Yezad do when he comes to the fires temple?
(a) He watches a man pray then leaves.
(b) He watches people file in for services.
(c) He crosses the street to avoid it.
(d) He goes in to pray.
12. What does Yezad tell Jehangir that his name means?
(a) King of the world.
(b) King of India.
(c) Conqueror of India.
(d) Conqueror of the world.
13. What does Jal tell Roxana and Yezad would happen if he had his way about things?
(a) They would put Nariman in a nursing home.
(b) He would be able to give them more money.
(c) They would all live at Chateau Felicity.
(d) Roxana and Yezad would move to a larger place.
14. How does Edul's wife describe Nariman's home?
(a) The house of much sadness.
(b) The house of unhappiness.
(c) The house of uncertainty.
(d) The house of happiness.
15. Why does Coomy agree to allow Edul Munshi to help fix up her apartment?
(a) He is known for his excellent craftsmanship.
(b) He will not charge much.
(c) He will take so long Nariman will never come home.
(d) He will finish quickly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What arrives at Kapur's store that he get all excited about?
2. What dream does Nariman have that causes him to wake up screaming?
3. What does Jal share with Yezad and Roxana after Coomy's death?
4. Why is the store closed when Yezad returns to work the day after Coomy's funeral?
5. What two things bring Yezad comfort as the story nears its end?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)