|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Nariman's dream about a time when Lucy worked for another family in his building, what is Lucy doing?
(a) Singing as she cleans the apartment.
(b) Crying and threatening to quit.
(c) Singing and threatening to jump.
(d) Crying and complaining about the heavy work load.
2. What is the good omen that Roxana sees as the family leaves Pleasant Villa?
(a) A butterfly.
(b) A white dove.
(c) A bird.
(d) A moth.
3. What is Yezad's excuse for not helping Nariman with his urinal?
(a) He considers helping Nariman to be Roxana's job.
(b) He cannot stand to be around Nariman.
(c) He thinks Nariman is too needy.
(d) Yezad promised himself that he would never touch the bedpan or urinal.
4. What does Yezad tell Kapur happened while Kapur was out getting his blood pressure checked?
(a) Yezad paid the Shiv Sena to leave Kapur alone.
(b) The Shiv Sena announced their intentions to remove all Christmas decorations.
(c) Two men from Shiv Sena came by and threatened him.
(d) Yezad promised that Kapur would remove the Christmas decorations.
5. What excuse does Kapur give for not running for municipal office?
(a) He is too busy with the store.
(b) He does not have enough money.
(c) His wife is against it.
(d) It is not the right time.
6. How does Edul's wife describe Nariman's home?
(a) The house of happiness.
(b) The house of much sadness.
(c) The house of unhappiness.
(d) The house of uncertainty.
7. What awakens Yezad in the middle of the night?
(a) His children.
(b) Chest pains.
(c) Leg cramp.s
(d) A siren.
8. What does Jal find when he goes to visit Nariman at Pleasant Villa?
(a) Daisy is playing her violin for Nariman.
(b) Daisy has moved in with Roxana and Yezad.
(c) Daisy is giving Nariman music lessons.
(d) Daisy is taking care of Nariman.
9. How do Coomy and Edul Munshi die?
(a) A steel girder falls on them.
(b) The ladder they are standing on gives way beneath them.
(c) The plaster from the ceiling falls and smothers them.
(d) They fall from the roof.
10. What message does Mrs. Kapur have for Yezad when he meets her at the store?
(a) The store is closed, but he is needed to do inventory.
(b) Only Yezad can learn to run the store as Kapur did.
(c) The store is closed and he must clear out his things.
(d) She offers to sell the store to Yezad.
11. What upsets the inspector most about the Parsi community?
(a) He thinks it is getting too large.
(b) He thinks too many Parsi are uneducated.
(c) He thinks they do not have enough schools.
(d) He thinks it is shrinking.
12. Who goes to help Nariman when he asks for the urinal?
(a) No one.
13. How much extra money does Roxana find in the budget envelopes?
(a) Sixty rupees.
(b) One hundred and twenty rupees.
(c) Forty five rupees.
(d) One hundred and eighty rupees.
14. What good news does Yezad have when he comes home from work?
(a) The elevator is working.
(b) Kapur is selling the store.
(c) He got a raise.
(d) Nariman is going home.
15. What is Kapur's justification for not being treated like a common person?
(a) He thinks he looks too much like a rich man.
(b) His family is not from Bombay.
(c) He does not attend the temple.
(d) He is too well known in the community.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the plan that Yezad has developed that requires Vilas' help?
2. Why does Yezad meet with Vilas and his two actor friends?
3. What does Yezad do when Vilas tries to tell him about one of his recent clients?
4. In Nariman's words, how would you complete this sentence, "the loss of home ...?
5. What request does Jehangir make one evening as he is having supper with his family?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)