|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Edul's wife describe Nariman's home?
(a) The house of uncertainty.
(b) The house of unhappiness.
(c) The house of much sadness.
(d) The house of happiness.
2. What message does Mrs. Kapur have for Yezad when he meets her at the store?
(a) Only Yezad can learn to run the store as Kapur did.
(b) She offers to sell the store to Yezad.
(c) The store is closed, but he is needed to do inventory.
(d) The store is closed and he must clear out his things.
3. Who finally helps Nariman with the urinal?
4. What does Yezad tell Jehangir that his name means?
(a) Conqueror of the world.
(b) Conqueror of India.
(c) King of India.
(d) King of the world.
5. What is Mr. Kapur's wife's view of public service?
(a) Service to community is for young men.
(b) Service to family is a woman's duty.
(c) Service to community comes first.
(d) Service to family comes first.
6. Why does Nariman become agitated when Jal leaves after having dinner with the Chenoy family?
(a) He wants the family to stay together.
(b) He misses Coomy.
(c) No one knows.
(d) He does not want Jal to leave.
7. What is the good omen that Roxana sees as the family leaves Pleasant Villa?
(a) A moth.
(b) A bird.
(c) A butterfly.
(d) A white dove.
8. What does Jehangir have to do after putting old and wrinkled money in the budget envelopes?
(a) Carefully seal the envelopes.
(b) Ask his mother to double check the envelopes.
(c) He is not required to do anything.
(d) Wash his hands.
9. What good news does Yezad have when he comes home from work?
(a) The elevator is working.
(b) Nariman is going home.
(c) He got a raise.
(d) Kapur is selling the store.
10. What is Kapur's justification for not being treated like a common person?
(a) His family is not from Bombay.
(b) He is too well known in the community.
(c) He thinks he looks too much like a rich man.
(d) He does not attend the temple.
11. What does Roxana smell on Yezad when he comes home one evening?
(a) He smells of cigarette smoke.
(b) He smells of alcohol.
(c) He smells of sandalwood.
(d) He smells of perfume.
12. Why does Miss Alvarez ask to speak to Jehangir's parents?
(a) Jehangir is being released as homework monitor.
(b) Jehangir has been taking bribes as homework monitor.
(c) She wants to tell them how good Jehangir is.
(d) She wants to tell them she is quitting.
13. What does Jal find when he goes to visit Nariman at Pleasant Villa?
(a) Daisy is playing her violin for Nariman.
(b) Daisy has moved in with Roxana and Yezad.
(c) Daisy is taking care of Nariman.
(d) Daisy is giving Nariman music lessons.
14. What does Jal share with Yezad and Roxana after Coomy's death?
(a) Leftovers from the funeral.
(b) News about Coomy's will.
(c) Food he and Coomy had ordered.
(d) Coomy's favorite recipes.
15. Why does Kapur not respond to Yezad's request about his new responsibilities?
(a) Kapur is mad at Yezad for breaking an ornament,
(b) Kapur is too excited about his Christmas decorations.
(c) Kapur has not made up his mind about the new responsibilities.
(d) Kapur tells Yezad he will find out in time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Yezad when he stops at the temple and stays for prayers?
2. What does Jal tell Roxana and Yezad would happen if he had his way about things?
3. How do the children react to Kapur?
4. What items does Mr. Kapur order for his store during the holiday season?
5. Who goes to help Nariman when he asks for the urinal?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)