|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What awakens Yezad in the middle of the night?
(a) Chest pains.
(b) A siren.
(c) His children.
(d) Leg cramp.s
2. What does Yezad do with his application papers for emigration to Canada?
(a) He checks them carefully and mails them.
(b) He asks his lawyer to look at them.
(c) He files them for future use.
(d) He tears them up.
3. Why does Nariman become agitated when Jal leaves after having dinner with the Chenoy family?
(a) He misses Coomy.
(b) No one knows.
(c) He does not want Jal to leave.
(d) He wants the family to stay together.
4. What good news does Yezad have when he comes home from work?
(a) He got a raise.
(b) Nariman is going home.
(c) The elevator is working.
(d) Kapur is selling the store.
5. How do the children react to Kapur?
(a) Most are eager to sit on Santa's lap.
(b) Most are afraid of the Santa suit.
(c) Most jus want the candy Santa has to offer.
(d) Most are afraid of the Santa suit.
6. How do Coomy and Edul Munshi die?
(a) A steel girder falls on them.
(b) They fall from the roof.
(c) The ladder they are standing on gives way beneath them.
(d) The plaster from the ceiling falls and smothers them.
7. What is Mr. Kapur's wife's view of public service?
(a) Service to community is for young men.
(b) Service to family comes first.
(c) Service to community comes first.
(d) Service to family is a woman's duty.
8. What kind of reception does Yezad get from Kapur's wife?
(a) She invites him to stay with them for a while.
(b) She says he must never come to their house again.
(c) She is very cold toward him.
(d) She welcomes him with open arms.
9. What request does Jehangir make one evening as he is having supper with his family?
(a) To leave school.
(b) To change his religion.
(c) To leave home.
(d) To change his name.
10. What is Kapur's justification for not being treated like a common person?
(a) He does not attend the temple.
(b) His family is not from Bombay.
(c) He thinks he looks too much like a rich man.
(d) He is too well known in the community.
11. Why does Coomy agree to allow Edul Munshi to help fix up her apartment?
(a) He will not charge much.
(b) He will finish quickly.
(c) He is known for his excellent craftsmanship.
(d) He will take so long Nariman will never come home.
12. What does Yezad do when he comes to the fires temple?
(a) He goes in to pray.
(b) He watches a man pray then leaves.
(c) He crosses the street to avoid it.
(d) He watches people file in for services.
13. What does Yezad think of as he sits with Nariman in the evening?
(a) The agony Nariman is going through.
(b) He is grateful he is not Nariman.
(c) The pain that Nariman is to those who care for him.
(d) He tries to visualize Nariman well.
14. What does Yezad tell Jehangir that his name means?
(a) Conqueror of India.
(b) Conqueror of the world.
(c) King of the world.
(d) King of India.
15. What message does Mrs. Kapur have for Yezad when he meets her at the store?
(a) The store is closed and he must clear out his things.
(b) Only Yezad can learn to run the store as Kapur did.
(c) She offers to sell the store to Yezad.
(d) The store is closed, but he is needed to do inventory.
Short Answer Questions
1. What request does Nariman make of Daisy after she first plays her violin for him?
2. In Nariman's words, how would you complete this sentence, "the loss of home ...?
3. What is the good omen that Roxana sees as the family leaves Pleasant Villa?
4. What is Yezad's explanation for the extra money?
5. What does Jehangir have to do after putting old and wrinkled money in the budget envelopes?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)