|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Nariman's dream about a time when Lucy worked for another family in his building, what is Lucy doing?
(a) Crying and complaining about the heavy work load.
(b) Crying and threatening to quit.
(c) Singing and threatening to jump.
(d) Singing as she cleans the apartment.
2. What upsets the inspector most about the Parsi community?
(a) He thinks it is getting too large.
(b) He thinks too many Parsi are uneducated.
(c) He thinks it is shrinking.
(d) He thinks they do not have enough schools.
3. How many rupees does Yezad give Villie for Matka?
(a) More than 800.
(b) Less than 700.
(c) Over 7,000.
(d) More than 700.
4. What does Yezad tell Vilas he is troubled about?
(a) There are too many Christmas decorations.
(b) Kapur has given him too much responsibility.
(c) He has lost a chance at promotion.
(d) He cannot get Nariman out of his house.
5. What is Yezad's explanation for the extra money?
(a) He says maybe Mr. Kapur paid him extra commissions.
(b) He tells Roxana she must have miscounted.
(c) He admits to playing Matka.
(d) He says he has worked overtime.
6. What happens to Yezad when he stops at the temple and stays for prayers?
(a) He realizes he no longer has a place in the temple.
(b) He realizes he has forgotten all the prayers.
(c) He becomes confused about why he is there.
(d) He has a great feeling of peace.
7. What good news does Yezad have when he comes home from work?
(a) The elevator is working.
(b) Nariman is going home.
(c) Kapur is selling the store.
(d) He got a raise.
8. What does Jal share with Yezad and Roxana after Coomy's death?
(a) Leftovers from the funeral.
(b) Coomy's favorite recipes.
(c) News about Coomy's will.
(d) Food he and Coomy had ordered.
9. What is Mr. Kapur's wife's view of public service?
(a) Service to community is for young men.
(b) Service to family is a woman's duty.
(c) Service to community comes first.
(d) Service to family comes first.
10. How did Kapur react to Yezad's story in Chapter 15?
(a) He closed the store to avoid any more problems.
(b) He went into a rage and destroyed his window displays.
(c) He complimented Yezad on a job well done.
(d) He decided to do nothing immediately.
11. Why does Yezad go to the store where he works on Christmas day?
(a) To return the money he took.
(b) To work overtime on the holiday.
(c) To help Kapur play Santa.
(d) To return a tool he had borrowed.
12. What is the plan that Yezad has developed that requires Vilas' help?
(a) To have Vilas help Yezad destroy Kapur's Christmas decorations.
(b) To have Shiv Sena destroy all the Santa Claus displays in the stores.
(c) To have Vilas help Yezad protect Kapur's store.
(d) To steal every Christmas decoration they can find.
13. What message does Mrs. Kapur have for Yezad when he meets her at the store?
(a) The store is closed, but he is needed to do inventory.
(b) She offers to sell the store to Yezad.
(c) The store is closed and he must clear out his things.
(d) Only Yezad can learn to run the store as Kapur did.
14. What excuse does Kapur give for not running for municipal office?
(a) His wife is against it.
(b) He does not have enough money.
(c) It is not the right time.
(d) He is too busy with the store.
15. What request does Nariman make of Daisy after she first plays her violin for him?
(a) That she play her violin as he lies dying.
(b) That she play her violin as he goes to sleep.
(c) That she play his favorite song over and over.
(d) That she play her violin to wake him up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yezad tell Kapur happened while Kapur was out getting his blood pressure checked?
2. What two things bring Yezad comfort as the story nears its end?
3. Why does Kapur not respond to Yezad's request about his new responsibilities?
4. Why does Yezad have trouble finding another job?
5. What proposition does Jal make to Yezad and Roxana?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)