|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the x-ray of Nariman's ankle reveal?
(a) The ankle is healing nicely.
(b) The ankle needs to be reset.
(c) The ankle is only beginning to heal.
(d) The ankle is healing, but will not be strong enough to walk on.
2. What argument does Coomy use to leave Nariman at Roxana's house a while longer?
(a) Nariman is much happier at Roxana's.
(b) She and Jal are going on vacation.
(c) She and Jal do not have time for Nariman.
(d) His hospital visit would mean more ambulance rides.
3. What kind of story does Vilas propose to write for his drama club?
(a) One of success.
(b) One about awakening the poor to their plight.
(c) One of life and celebration.
(d) One of torture and death.
4. Who asks Nariman for his assistance while he is in the hospital?
(a) Mr. Rangarajan and an orderly.
(b) Dr. Tarapore and an orderly.
(c) Mr Rangaragan and Dr. Tarapore.
(d) Dr. Tarapore and Dr. Fitter.
5. What does Coomy use to clean Nariman's teeth?
(a) Toilet bowl cleaner.
(b) Laundry detergent.
(d) Dishwashing liquid.
6. What happens as the Chenoys wait at the bus stop?
(a) Murad and Jehangir get in a fight.
(b) Yezad is beaten and robbed.
(c) They are accosted by a pair of drunks.
(d) Roxana is abducted.
7. Which of the following does not describe Vilas Rane?
(a) He works in a bookstore.
(b) He writes letters for others.
(c) He is unemployed.
(d) He is a friend of Yezad.
8. What does Nariman want Coomy to bring to the table as she prepares for his birthday dinner?
(a) The everyday dishes.
(b) The good china.
(c) A picture of their mother.
(d) His special plate.
9. What is the alternative name suggested for Bombay?
10. Which of the following is most true about Coomy?
(a) Coomy pretends she cares for others.
(b) Coomy is a cheerful and considerate person.
(c) Coomy pretends she doesn't mind cleaning up after her father.
(d) Coomy genuinely cares for others.
11. What relation are Murad and Jehangir to Nariman?
(a) They are his foster children.
(b) They are his son and daughter.
(c) They are his stepchildren.
(d) They are his grandchildren.
12. When Roxana and her family arrive for dinner, what is Coomy's reaction?
(a) She grumbles that they never bring anything.
(b) She grumbles that they are always on time.
(c) She grumbles that they are always late.
(d) She grumbles that they are always early.
13. When does the author indicate that Nariman will be able to move about and take care of himself?
(a) About three weeks.
(b) It is hard to tell from the story.
(d) It depends on the exercises he does.
14. What does Coomy confess to Jal about caring for their father?
(a) She says she hates that he is dependent upon them.
(b) She says wishes they had a better relationship.
(c) She says she knows Nariman likes Roxana better.
(d) She says she hates the work of caring for him.
15. What are Roxana and Yezad most concerned about when it looks like Nariman will be staying with them for a while?
(a) Coomy and Jal's indifference to their father.
(b) The fact that Nariman is not healing.
(c) The effect of Nariman's presence on their boys.
(d) Their finances.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following seems most sensitive to Nariman's needs?
2. How are Murad and Jehangir instructed to act when they arrive at Nariman's home?
3. What opportunity does one of the customers present to Yezad?
4. Why do Coomy and Jal not want Nariman to go out alone?
5. How does Nariman help Jehangir go back to sleep when Jehangir is restless?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)