|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens as the Chenoys wait at the bus stop?
(a) Roxana is abducted.
(b) Yezad is beaten and robbed.
(c) Murad and Jehangir get in a fight.
(d) They are accosted by a pair of drunks.
2. Who does Coomy initially ask for help when Nariman is brought home with an injured ankle?
(a) Their regular doctor, Dr. Tarapore.
(b) She did not ask for help.
(c) Their neighbor Dr. Fitter.
(d) The men who brought him home.
3. What does Husain do when he is having a "good" day?
(a) He orders supplies.
(b) He waits on customers.
(c) He helps Yezad.
(d) He does odd jobs around the store.
4. What does Coomy use to clean Nariman's teeth?
(a) Toilet bowl cleaner.
(b) Dishwashing liquid.
(d) Laundry detergent.
5. Why does Coomy request that Phoola Phoola clean her room first?
(a) So she can go back to bed.
(b) So she can spend time with her father.
(c) Because it was not cleaned the last time.
(d) So she can watch to see that it is done correctly.
6. How does Coomy prepare for her father's return from the hospital?
(a) She makes a special place for him.
(b) She buys a bedpan and urinal.
(c) She hires a nurse to care for him.
(d) She buys a commode.
7. What is Matka?
(a) An Indian racing event.
(b) An Indian dice game.
(c) An Indian card game.
(d) An Indian numbers game.
8. What is Roxana's first action for Nariman after he arrives at her home?
(a) She cleans his teeth.
(b) She puts him to bed.
(c) She gives him a sponge bath.
(d) She gives him a good meal.
9. What news about his intentions does Mr. Kapur share with Yezad as they get together after work?
(a) He is considering buying another store.
(b) He is considering running for the municipal council.
(c) He is considering adding on the the store he has.
(d) He is considering selling the store.
10. What is Jal's concern about leaving his father at Roxana's?
(a) He wonders if Nariman will resent Jal and Coomy for moving him.
(b) He wonders how it will affect family relationships.
(c) He wonders how Yezad will react to having Narinam around.
(d) He thinks it is the best option they have.
11. Why does Coomy get angry during the discussion about the cost of caring for Nariman?
(a) She loves Nariman and doesn't want to lose him.
(b) She thinks Roxana is too critical of her.
(c) She says she is doing the best she can.
(d) She thinks Roxana is accusing her of stealing.
12. What kind of story does Vilas propose to write for his drama club?
(a) One of life and celebration.
(b) One of success.
(c) One about awakening the poor to their plight.
(d) One of torture and death.
13. What does Nariman tell Roxana when she takes him in?
(a) He tells her how good Coomy has been to him.
(b) He tells her it was not his idea to come to her home.
(c) He apologizes for being a burden.
(d) He tells her he can't wait to get inside with her family.
14. Why does Jehangir go to visit Villie Cardmaster?
(a) To ask for work.
(b) To ask for food.
(c) To bet on Matka.
(d) To learn more about his homeland.
15. Why is Nariman not allowed to marry the woman he chose?
(a) She is too old.
(b) She is a Parsi.
(c) She is a Goan.
(d) She has two children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the subject of Nariman's flashbacks and dreams?
2. Why does Yezad not use Mr. Kapur's first name during work hours?
3. What reason does Coomy give Nariman for not telling Roxana and Yezad about his accident?
4. What is Coomy's first concern after getting rid of Nariman?
5. What makes Roxana check on Nariman while he sleeps?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)