|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Coomy get angry during the discussion about the cost of caring for Nariman?
(a) She loves Nariman and doesn't want to lose him.
(b) She thinks Roxana is accusing her of stealing.
(c) She thinks Roxana is too critical of her.
(d) She says she is doing the best she can.
2. What reason does Coomy give to convince Roxana to let her father move in?
(a) She says Jal cannot take it any longer.
(b) She says it will help avoid depression.
(c) She says it is only fair that they share responsibility.
(d) She says Nariman likes Roxana better.
3. At the beginning of the story, Nariman is preparing to celebrate which birthday?
(a) His seventy-eighth.
(b) His seventy-seventh.
(c) His eightieth.
(d) His seventy-ninth.
4. A few days after Nariman's return home, Dr. Tarapore is asked to do another x-ray. What does this one show?
(a) A perfectly healed ankle.
(b) Several old breaks.
5. What does Mr. Kapur do when he learns that Husain is unable to work?
(a) He sends him home.
(b) He comforts him.
(c) He fires him.
(d) He insists that Husain try to work.
6. How does Nariman deal with Coomy's ranting?
(a) He is meekly obedient.
(b) He yells back at her.
(c) He ignores her.
(d) He is quietly sarcastic.
7. Who did Nariman's family arrange for him to marry?
(c) An unnamed woman.
8. What makes Roxana check on Nariman while he sleeps?
(a) She thinks he called her name.
(b) She wants to be sure he is breathing.
(c) She thinks she hears him coughing.
(d) She thinks he needs help.
9. Who is to play in the afternoon cricket match?
(a) Slaves and non-slaves.
(b) Students and non-students.
(c) Catholics and Indians.
(d) Catholics and non-Catholics.
10. What is the alternative name suggested for Bombay?
11. Why does Vilas tell Yezad it is in his best interest to remain honest?
(a) He is bound by his Parsi heritage.
(b) Honesty is the best policy.
(c) Yezad has promised Vilas he will always be honest.
(d) It is always the right thing to do.
12. When does the author indicate that Nariman will be able to move about and take care of himself?
(a) About three weeks.
(b) It depends on the exercises he does.
(c) It is hard to tell from the story.
13. What does Yezad give Villie for helping him with Matka?
(a) Ten dinar.
(b) Ten rubles.
(c) Ten rupees.
(d) Ten rubies
14. What relation are Murad and Jehangir to Nariman?
(a) They are his grandchildren.
(b) They are his stepchildren.
(c) They are his foster children.
(d) They are his son and daughter.
15. What does Nariman offer to do to help Jehangir?
(a) To help him clean the kitchen.
(b) To help fix a meal.
(c) To help with homework.
(d) To help him make the beds.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Phoola Phoola quit?
2. What is Yezad's reaction to the customer's offer?
3. What reason does Coomy give for wanting to move her father to Roxana's apartment?
4. Which of the following is not part of the special greeting Murad and Jehangir share with Nariman?
5. What happens as the Chenoys wait at the bus stop?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)