|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Vilas' friends urge Yezad to stay away from Matka?
(a) Its profits benefit Shiv Sena.
(b) Yezad's religion forbids Matka.
(c) Matka is illegal.
(d) It supports the black market.
2. How does Dr. Tarapore's impending visit affect Nariman?
(a) He gets excited.
(b) He is worried he is not healing fast enough.
(c) He get a bad headache.
(d) He has a nervous stomach.
3. What does Mr. Kapur do when he learns that Husain is unable to work?
(a) He insists that Husain try to work.
(b) He comforts him.
(c) He fires him.
(d) He sends him home.
4. What kind of story does Vilas propose to write for his drama club?
(a) One of life and celebration.
(b) One about awakening the poor to their plight.
(c) One of torture and death.
(d) One of success.
5. What is Jal's concern about leaving his father at Roxana's?
(a) He wonders if Nariman will resent Jal and Coomy for moving him.
(b) He thinks it is the best option they have.
(c) He wonders how Yezad will react to having Narinam around.
(d) He wonders how it will affect family relationships.
6. How are Murad and Jehangir instructed to act when they arrive at Nariman's home?
(a) They are told to sit on the floor.
(b) They are not given instructions.
(c) They are told to play quietly.
(d) They are told to sit like statues.
7. What does Nariman want Coomy to bring to the table as she prepares for his birthday dinner?
(a) A picture of their mother.
(b) The good china.
(c) His special plate.
(d) The everyday dishes.
8. According to Coomy, who is supposed to inherit Chateau Felicity?
(c) Roxana and Yezad.
(d) Coomy and Jal.
9. What does the x-ray of Nariman's ankle reveal?
(a) The ankle needs to be reset.
(b) The ankle is only beginning to heal.
(c) The ankle is healing nicely.
(d) The ankle is healing, but will not be strong enough to walk on.
10. How long does Roxana tell Yezad that Nariman will stay with them?
(a) Until he is well.
(b) Three days.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Three months.
11. What does Husain do when he is having a "good" day?
(a) He orders supplies.
(b) He helps Yezad.
(c) He does odd jobs around the store.
(d) He waits on customers.
12. What is the alternative name suggested for Bombay?
13. How would Mr. Kapur's action affect Yezad?
(a) It would mean he might have to work more hours.
(b) It would give Yezad an opportunity to own his own store.
(c) It would mean more responsibility and more money.
(d) It would mean he could lose his job.
14. How does Nariman deal with Coomy's ranting?
(a) He is meekly obedient.
(b) He yells back at her.
(c) He ignores her.
(d) He is quietly sarcastic.
15. What does Coomy use to clean Nariman's teeth?
(a) Laundry detergent.
(b) Toilet bowl cleaner.
(d) Dishwashing liquid.
Short Answer Questions
1. What offer does Roxana make when Coomy mentions moving their father to Roxana's?
2. What is characteristic of the Shiv Sena?
3. Why do Coomy and Jal not want Nariman to go out alone?
4. What arrangements are made for Nariman at Roxana's?
5. At the beginning of the story, Nariman is preparing to celebrate which birthday?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)