|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens as the Chenoys wait at the bus stop?
(a) Roxana is abducted.
(b) They are accosted by a pair of drunks.
(c) Murad and Jehangir get in a fight.
(d) Yezad is beaten and robbed.
2. What does Jehangir propose to Murad on their way to school?
(a) That they sell their lunches.
(b) That they trade their books for food.
(c) That they give their books to someone who needs them.
(d) That they sell their textbooks.
3. How does Coomy hope to combat the smell of Nariman's bowel movements?
(a) She opens all the windows.
(b) She makes him go outside.
(c) She holds her nose.
(d) She turns on his ceiling fan.
4. What service does Jehangir provide for Nariman?
(a) He reads the paper to Nariman.
(b) He helps Nariman eat.
(c) He helps Nariman find a place to lie down.
(d) He combs Nariman's hair.
5. Who asks Nariman for his assistance while he is in the hospital?
(a) Dr. Tarapore and an orderly.
(b) Dr. Tarapore and Dr. Fitter.
(c) Mr Rangaragan and Dr. Tarapore.
(d) Mr. Rangarajan and an orderly.
6. What reason does Coomy give Nariman for not telling Roxana and Yezad about his accident?
(a) She does not think it was necessary.
(b) She had asked Jal to do it, but he would not.
(c) She is not able to locate them.
(d) She does not want to worry them.
7. Who did Nariman's family arrange for him to marry?
(c) An unnamed woman.
8. What are Yezad's plans for Nariman when Nariman's time with the Chenoys is over?
(a) Yezad has no plans for Nariman.
(b) Invite Nariman to stay longer.
(c) Send Nariman back to Coomy and Jal.
(d) Help Nariman find a place of his own.
9. What opportunity does one of the customers present to Yezad?
(a) To receive protection from the rioters.
(b) To leave his job and take a better one.
(c) To pad the bill and make extra money.
(d) To receive an extra shipment without paying for it.
10. What is the predominant mood of the dinner party?
(a) Everyone focuses on the chldren.
(b) No one talks to anyone else.
(c) There is a lot of bickering.
(d) There is a lot of laughter.
11. What does Mr. Kapur do when he learns that Husain is unable to work?
(a) He sends him home.
(b) He comforts him.
(c) He insists that Husain try to work.
(d) He fires him.
12. What is Jal upset with Coomy about after Roxana and Yezad leave?
(a) He thinks she has lied to her family.
(b) He wants Nariman to come home immediately.
(c) He says Coomy has ruined family relations.
(d) He was ashamed that the house wasn't clean for Roxana and Yezad.
13. Which of the following is most true about Coomy?
(a) Coomy pretends she cares for others.
(b) Coomy genuinely cares for others.
(c) Coomy pretends she doesn't mind cleaning up after her father.
(d) Coomy is a cheerful and considerate person.
14. Why do Vilas' friends urge Yezad to stay away from Matka?
(a) Its profits benefit Shiv Sena.
(b) It supports the black market.
(c) Matka is illegal.
(d) Yezad's religion forbids Matka.
15. Who is the subject of Nariman's flashbacks and dreams?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Yezad's reaction to the customer's offer?
2. How long does Nariman stay in the hospital?
3. How does Jal explain the constant hammering that Yezad asks about?
4. What does Nariman offer to do to help Jehangir?
5. What is Roxana's advice to Jehangir about writing a book?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)