|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Dr. Tarapore's decision concerning Nariman?
(a) That he should replace Nariman's cast with a lighter one.
(b) That he should wait another week to remove the cast.
(c) That Nariman should wear the cast for another month.
(d) That he would remove the entire cast immediately.
2. What is revealed about Yezad's background in Chapter 2?
(a) That he is very happy with his life.
(b) That he had attempted to emigrate to Canada.
(c) That he was previously married and has other children.
(d) That he wishes he could do more for his country.
3. What do Coomy and Jal do at home to keep Nariman from coming back?
(a) They change the locks.
(b) They leave on an extended vacation.
(c) They set fire to Nariman's room.
(d) They destroy the ceilings.
4. What is Nariman's response about moving to Roxana's?
(a) He is happy and excited about the move.
(b) He wants to ask her himself.
(c) He will agree if it is okay with her.
(d) He does not want to leave the comfort of his own room.
5. What makes Roxana check on Nariman while he sleeps?
(a) She wants to be sure he is breathing.
(b) She thinks he needs help.
(c) She thinks he called her name.
(d) She thinks she hears him coughing.
6. What is Matka?
(a) An Indian racing event.
(b) An Indian card game.
(c) An Indian numbers game.
(d) An Indian dice game.
7. What does Nariman encourage Roxana and Yezad to do to help their financial situation?
(a) Take him back to his own home where Coomy and Jal live.
(b) Ask Coomy and Jal to turn over his savings account.
(c) Put him in a nursing home.
(d) Sell their home and move into his old home with Coomy and Jal.
8. What does Husain do when he is having a "bad" day?
(a) He does not show up for work.
(b) He cowers in the storeroom.
(c) He follows Yezad around and mutters.
(d) He sits in a corner and cries.
9. Why does Coomy request that Phoola Phoola clean her room first?
(a) So she can go back to bed.
(b) Because it was not cleaned the last time.
(c) So she can watch to see that it is done correctly.
(d) So she can spend time with her father.
10. What kind of story does Vilas propose to write for his drama club?
(a) One of torture and death.
(b) One of success.
(c) One about awakening the poor to their plight.
(d) One of life and celebration.
11. When Coomy calls in Dr. Tarapore, what is his concern about Nariman?
(a) He thinks Nariman may be crazy.
(b) He thinks Nariman is in danger of depression.
(c) He thinks Nariman is perfectly normal and tells Coomy not to worry.
(d) He thinks Nariman needs a change of scenery.
12. What relation are Murad and Jehangir to Nariman?
(a) They are his son and daughter.
(b) They are his stepchildren.
(c) They are his grandchildren.
(d) They are his foster children.
13. What does Jehangir reveal to his family that he wants to write a book about?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) The Chenoy and Vakeel families.
(c) Religious practices.
(d) About Bombay.
14. What does the Chenoy family argue about at supper after returning from Chateau Felicity with Nariman?
(a) Who will get to sit next to Nariman.
(b) Who will get to slice the meat.
(c) Who will get one of the few slices of bread.
(d) Who will get the last glass of milk.
15. What type of school do Murad and Jehangir attend?
(a) An English-style school.
(b) A prep school.
(c) A public school.
(d) A private boys' school.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nariman help Jehangir go back to sleep when Jehangir is restless?
2. What does Jehangir propose to Murad on their way to school?
3. What service does Jehangir provide for Nariman?
4. What are Yezad's plans for Nariman when Nariman's time with the Chenoys is over?
5. At the beginning of the story, Nariman is preparing to celebrate which birthday?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)