|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Nariman exhibits symptoms of the early stages of what disease?
2. What does Coomy confess to Jal about caring for their father?
(a) She says she hates that he is dependent upon them.
(b) She says wishes they had a better relationship.
(c) She says she hates the work of caring for him.
(d) She says she knows Nariman likes Roxana better.
3. What does Mr. Kapur do when he learns that Husain is unable to work?
(a) He insists that Husain try to work.
(b) He comforts him.
(c) He fires him.
(d) He sends him home.
4. What does the x-ray of Nariman's ankle reveal?
(a) The ankle is only beginning to heal.
(b) The ankle needs to be reset.
(c) The ankle is healing, but will not be strong enough to walk on.
(d) The ankle is healing nicely.
5. Why does Roxana stop Jehangir from explaining his book to Nariman?
(a) She needs Jehangir's help in the kitchen.
(b) Nariman has fallen asleep.
(c) Jehangir is making too much noise.
(d) Nariman is not interested in what Jehangir reads.
6. How long does Nariman stay in the hospital?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Two hours.
(c) Two months.
(d) Two days.
7. What does Nariman observe as Coomy and Jal move him to Roxana's apartment?
(a) They are both looking forward to seeing Roxana again.
(b) They are both eager to see him comfortable and cared for.
(c) It is hard for them to hide their eagerness to be rid of him.
(d) It is hard for them to hide their sadness at his leaving.
8. Why are Jehangir and Murad excited about having Nariman stay with them?
(a) They can sleep on the balcony.
(b) Nariman spoils them.
(c) They love Nariman.
(d) They can stay up later.
9. What is the alternative name suggested for Bombay?
10. Who is to play in the afternoon cricket match?
(a) Catholics and Indians.
(b) Slaves and non-slaves.
(c) Students and non-students.
(d) Catholics and non-Catholics.
11. What relation is Roxana to Jal and Coomy?
(a) She is their aunt.
(b) She is their step-sister.
(c) She is their step-mother.
(d) She is their half-sister.
12. What opportunity does one of the customers present to Yezad?
(a) To pad the bill and make extra money.
(b) To receive protection from the rioters.
(c) To leave his job and take a better one.
(d) To receive an extra shipment without paying for it.
13. How does Coomy prepare for her father's return from the hospital?
(a) She hires a nurse to care for him.
(b) She buys a commode.
(c) She makes a special place for him.
(d) She buys a bedpan and urinal.
14. What responsibility does Murad take on himself at home that upsets Yezad?
(a) Setting the table.
(b) Winding the clock.
(c) Weeding the flowerbeds.
(d) Helping prepare supper.
15. What does Jehangir reveal to his family that he wants to write a book about?
(a) About Bombay.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) Religious practices.
(d) The Chenoy and Vakeel families.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Chenoy family argue about at supper after returning from Chateau Felicity with Nariman?
2. What offer does Roxana make when Coomy mentions moving their father to Roxana's?
3. What happens the first time Nariman attempts to walk when he gets back to Roxana's?
4. Which of the following seems most sensitive to Nariman's needs?
5. Who is the subject of Nariman's flashbacks and dreams?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)