|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Coomy prepare for her father's return from the hospital?
(a) She buys a bedpan and urinal.
(b) She hires a nurse to care for him.
(c) She makes a special place for him.
(d) She buys a commode.
2. Why does Phoola Phoola quit?
(a) Nariman has had a bowel movement in his bed.
(b) The whole apartment is too filthy to clean.
(c) Nariman is too mean to her.
(d) Coomy is too mean to her.
3. What does Nariman tell Roxana when she takes him in?
(a) He apologizes for being a burden.
(b) He tells her he can't wait to get inside with her family.
(c) He tells her how good Coomy has been to him.
(d) He tells her it was not his idea to come to her home.
4. What is revealed about Yezad's background in Chapter 2?
(a) That he wishes he could do more for his country.
(b) That he had attempted to emigrate to Canada.
(c) That he was previously married and has other children.
(d) That he is very happy with his life.
5. What does Nariman want Coomy to bring to the table as she prepares for his birthday dinner?
(a) His special plate.
(b) A picture of their mother.
(c) The good china.
(d) The everyday dishes.
6. How does Nariman injure his ankle?
(a) He falls into a trench.
(b) He falls down the stairs.
(c) He falls over an unseen object.
(d) He falls while playing a game.
7. What is Roxana's first action for Nariman after he arrives at her home?
(a) She cleans his teeth.
(b) She gives him a sponge bath.
(c) She gives him a good meal.
(d) She puts him to bed.
8. What prompts Roxana to change her mind about taking her father in?
(a) Roxana realizes all Coomy's reasons are good ones.
(b) Coomy says Nariman is waiting outside in an ambulance.
(c) Roxana really misses her father and wants him near.
(d) Coomy says Nariman is looking forward to being with Roxana's family.
9. When does Coomy intend to let Nariman come home?
(a) When he can care for himself.
(b) When she returns from vacation.
(c) In three weeks.
10. What does Nariman observe as Coomy and Jal move him to Roxana's apartment?
(a) It is hard for them to hide their sadness at his leaving.
(b) They are both looking forward to seeing Roxana again.
(c) They are both eager to see him comfortable and cared for.
(d) It is hard for them to hide their eagerness to be rid of him.
11. How would Mr. Kapur's action affect Yezad?
(a) It would mean he could lose his job.
(b) It would give Yezad an opportunity to own his own store.
(c) It would mean he might have to work more hours.
(d) It would mean more responsibility and more money.
12. What does Nariman offer to do to help Jehangir?
(a) To help him make the beds.
(b) To help with homework.
(c) To help him clean the kitchen.
(d) To help fix a meal.
13. What type of school do Murad and Jehangir attend?
(a) A public school.
(b) A prep school.
(c) An English-style school.
(d) A private boys' school.
14. What does Husain do when he is having a "bad" day?
(a) He cowers in the storeroom.
(b) He does not show up for work.
(c) He follows Yezad around and mutters.
(d) He sits in a corner and cries.
15. Nariman exhibits symptoms of the early stages of what disease?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Yezad get to work?
2. What relation is Roxana to Jal and Coomy?
3. What happens as the Chenoys wait at the bus stop?
4. What does Yezad give Villie for helping him with Matka?
5. How are Murad and Jehangir instructed to act when they arrive at Nariman's home?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)