|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does the author indicate that Nariman will be able to move about and take care of himself?
(b) About three weeks.
(c) It depends on the exercises he does.
(d) It is hard to tell from the story.
2. How does Dr. Tarapore's impending visit affect Nariman?
(a) He gets excited.
(b) He has a nervous stomach.
(c) He get a bad headache.
(d) He is worried he is not healing fast enough.
3. Who did Nariman's family arrange for him to marry?
(d) An unnamed woman.
4. How are Murad and Jehangir instructed to act when they arrive at Nariman's home?
(a) They are told to sit like statues.
(b) They are told to sit on the floor.
(c) They are not given instructions.
(d) They are told to play quietly.
5. What is the subject of the argument between Roxana and Coomy?
(b) Jehangir's behavior.
(c) Murad's behavior.
6. Why is Nariman not allowed to marry the woman he chose?
(a) She is too old.
(b) She has two children.
(c) She is a Goan.
(d) She is a Parsi.
7. Which of the following best describes the home Roxana and her family live in?
(a) A comfortable flat in a well-kept building.
(b) A crowded two-room flat in a decaying building.
(c) A roomy two-bedroom flat in a new building.
(d) A quiet two-room flat in an old but clean building.
8. How does Yezad get to work?
(a) By foot.
(b) By bus.
(c) By car.
(d) By train.
9. What news about his intentions does Mr. Kapur share with Yezad as they get together after work?
(a) He is considering adding on the the store he has.
(b) He is considering buying another store.
(c) He is considering running for the municipal council.
(d) He is considering selling the store.
10. According to Coomy, who is supposed to inherit Chateau Felicity?
(c) Roxana and Yezad.
(d) Coomy and Jal.
11. What does Coomy use to clean Nariman's teeth?
(a) Toilet bowl cleaner.
(c) Laundry detergent.
(d) Dishwashing liquid.
12. How does Nariman injure his ankle?
(a) He falls over an unseen object.
(b) He falls down the stairs.
(c) He falls into a trench.
(d) He falls while playing a game.
13. Why do Coomy and Jal not want Nariman to go out alone?
(a) They are afraid something will happen to him.
(b) They are afraid he will run away.
(c) They are afraid he will not return in time for his birthday celebration.
(d) They are afraid he will get lost.
14. What is revealed about Yezad's background in Chapter 2?
(a) That he was previously married and has other children.
(b) That he had attempted to emigrate to Canada.
(c) That he wishes he could do more for his country.
(d) That he is very happy with his life.
15. What are Yezad's plans for Nariman when Nariman's time with the Chenoys is over?
(a) Send Nariman back to Coomy and Jal.
(b) Invite Nariman to stay longer.
(c) Yezad has no plans for Nariman.
(d) Help Nariman find a place of his own.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Coomy get angry during the discussion about the cost of caring for Nariman?
2. Who is to play in the afternoon cricket match?
3. What does Nariman tell Roxana when she takes him in?
4. What does Jehangir reveal to his family that he wants to write a book about?
5. Which of the following seems most sensitive to Nariman's needs?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)