|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Nariman not allowed to marry the woman he chose?
(a) She is too old.
(b) She is a Parsi.
(c) She is a Goan.
(d) She has two children.
2. Why can Husain only work part time?
(a) He is a victim of earlier riots.
(b) He has another job.
(c) He is physically challenged.
(d) He goes to school.
3. What is Coomy's first concern after getting rid of Nariman?
(a) Making sure he has all he needs at Roxana's.
(b) Getting rid of any sign that Nariman ever lived with her.
(c) Getting rid of the smells he left behind.
(d) Cleaning his room and readying it for his return.
4. Why do Vilas' friends urge Yezad to stay away from Matka?
(a) Its profits benefit Shiv Sena.
(b) Matka is illegal.
(c) It supports the black market.
(d) Yezad's religion forbids Matka.
5. What responsibility does Murad take on himself at home that upsets Yezad?
(a) Winding the clock.
(b) Weeding the flowerbeds.
(c) Setting the table.
(d) Helping prepare supper.
6. How does the cleaning woman awaken Coomy?
(a) By ringing the doorbell.
(b) By knocking on the door.
(c) By coming into the room.
(d) By making too much noise.
7. Which of the following best describes the home Roxana and her family live in?
(a) A quiet two-room flat in an old but clean building.
(b) A comfortable flat in a well-kept building.
(c) A crowded two-room flat in a decaying building.
(d) A roomy two-bedroom flat in a new building.
8. What does Husain do when he is having a "good" day?
(a) He orders supplies.
(b) He helps Yezad.
(c) He waits on customers.
(d) He does odd jobs around the store.
9. What does Nariman encourage Roxana and Yezad to do to help their financial situation?
(a) Sell their home and move into his old home with Coomy and Jal.
(b) Ask Coomy and Jal to turn over his savings account.
(c) Take him back to his own home where Coomy and Jal live.
(d) Put him in a nursing home.
10. What reason does Coomy give for wanting to move her father to Roxana's apartment?
(a) She says she wants what is best for him.
(b) She says he is always happier around Roxana's family.
(c) She says Roxana is jealous of Coomy's relationship with her father.
(d) She says Roxana has asked him to come and stay.
11. What do Coomy and Jal do at home to keep Nariman from coming back?
(a) They destroy the ceilings.
(b) They leave on an extended vacation.
(c) They change the locks.
(d) They set fire to Nariman's room.
12. What reason does Coomy give Nariman for not telling Roxana and Yezad about his accident?
(a) She does not think it was necessary.
(b) She had asked Jal to do it, but he would not.
(c) She is not able to locate them.
(d) She does not want to worry them.
13. When does the author indicate that Nariman will be able to move about and take care of himself?
(a) About three weeks.
(b) It is hard to tell from the story.
(d) It depends on the exercises he does.
14. Why does Yezad not use Mr. Kapur's first name during work hours?
(a) He thinks using his boss's first name is too informal.
(b) Mr. Kapur's first name is too hard for Yezad to say.
(c) He cannot remember Mr. Kapur's first name.
(d) Because Mr. Kapur will not use Yezad's last name.
15. What argument does Coomy use to leave Nariman at Roxana's house a while longer?
(a) His hospital visit would mean more ambulance rides.
(b) She and Jal do not have time for Nariman.
(c) Nariman is much happier at Roxana's.
(d) She and Jal are going on vacation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Roxana and Yezad most concerned about when it looks like Nariman will be staying with them for a while?
2. How does Nariman help Jehangir go back to sleep when Jehangir is restless?
3. Nariman exhibits symptoms of the early stages of what disease?
4. Which of the following is not part of the special greeting Murad and Jehangir share with Nariman?
5. What does Jehangir propose to Murad on their way to school?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)