|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Autumn's aunt with whom she lives?
2. Who takes custody of Kristina's youngest two children in the novel?
3. What new boy in Autumn's class seems interested in her?
4. The San Joaquin Valley extends from the Sacramento - San Joaquin River Delta in the north to ________ in the south.
5. What is the name of Kristina's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Hunter working when he is first approached and flirted with by fans in the novel?
2. How is Hunter's character introduced in the novel? What is his family setting like? How does Hunter feel about his parents?
3. How is Hunter's tendency toward infidelity illustrated as an addiction in the novel?
4. What happens when Nikki sees Hunter being flirted with by fans in the novel? What advice does Montana give Hunter?
5. What leads up to Autumn's first kiss in the novel? What causes her anxiety before this event?
6. Why does Marie Haskins go to Las Vegas in the novel? What does Hunter learn has happened with his mother there?
7. Describe the character of Cora Shepherd in the novel. How did Autumn come into Cora's custody?
8. What are the causes of Autumn's anxiety and insecurity leading up to Thanksgiving in the novel?
9. Describe the stylistic elements of Fallout. How is the novel divided into sections? What effect does the style have on the reader?
10. How does Summer feel about her father in the beginning of the novel? What is her relationship with her mother like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of sexual abuse in the novel. Which characters have been abused and by whom? Who is to blame for the abuse that Kristina's children have suffered and why? In what ways did Kristina herself face sexual abuse?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss examples of symbolism and imagery in the narrative. What does the stranger at the talent show represent to Hunter? What is symbolized by Hunter's infidelity with Leah in the narrative? What does Kristina represent symbolically to each of her children?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Autumn's relationship with her father after they have first met. How does Trey's presence inspire Autumn to meet her mother? Is this meeting a positive or negative thing for Autumn's development? Why?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)