|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What character in the novel turns to alcohol to help her through the emotional turmoil of her aunt's wedding and apparent abandonment?
2. Of Kristina's three eldest children, who is the one who sees both her mother and father regularly in the beginning of the novel?
3. What is Summer's middle name?
4. The San Joaquin Valley extends from the Sacramento - San Joaquin River Delta in the north to ________ in the south.
5. Where is Autumn's father in the beginning of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of Cora Shepherd in the novel. How did Autumn come into Cora's custody?
2. Describe the stylistic elements of Fallout. How is the novel divided into sections? What effect does the style have on the reader?
3. Describe Autumn's childhood and family life in the novel. Where does she live and with whom?
4. What does Autumn know about her biological parents in the beginning of the novel?
5. How is Hunter's character introduced in the novel? What is his family setting like? How does Hunter feel about his parents?
6. How has Autumn's childhood affected her current romantic relationship in the novel?
7. What are the causes of Autumn's anxiety and insecurity leading up to Thanksgiving in the novel?
8. Describe the character of Trey Shepherd. What was Trey's relationship with Kristina like?
9. How do Hunter's insecurities about his family impact his current relationship in the novel?
10. Describe Autumn's emotional status in the beginning of the novel. What is the cause of Autumn's feelings of isolation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Summer's relationships with Ashante and Erica in the novel. How long does Summer live in the foster home with these girls? What leads up to Summer's violent confrontation with Erica? Who breaks up the confrontation and what is its effect on the family?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of sexual abuse in the novel. Which characters have been abused and by whom? Who is to blame for the abuse that Kristina's children have suffered and why? In what ways did Kristina herself face sexual abuse?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Brendan in the narrative. What does Hunter realize about Brendan when he finally confronts him? How does this discovery change Hunter's perception of his history and himself in the novel?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)