|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Summer's boyfriend?
2. Who tells Hunter that he needs to separate himself from his on-air persona if he wants his relationship to work in the novel?
3. Where is Autumn's father in the beginning of the novel?
4. How many children does Kristina have?
5. What is the name of Kristina's biological mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of Kristina Snow Shepherd. What is Kristina's history in the Crank series? How is Kristina viewed by her children?
2. What happens when Nikki sees Hunter being flirted with by fans in the novel? What advice does Montana give Hunter?
3. Describe the character of Cora Shepherd in the novel. How did Autumn come into Cora's custody?
4. With whom is Summer having a relationship in the beginning of the novel? How does she feel about her boyfriend?
5. Who does Summer first become intimate with in the novel? How is this event described?
6. What are the causes of Autumn's anxiety and insecurity leading up to Thanksgiving in the novel?
7. What leads up to Summer's confrontation with Erica in the novel? How do Matt and Kyle react to this confrontation?
8. Describe Summer's family and living arrangements in the beginning of the novel. What separated Summer from her father?
9. Describe the stylistic elements of Fallout. How is the novel divided into sections? What effect does the style have on the reader?
10. How does Summer feel about her father in the beginning of the novel? What is her relationship with her mother like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the career of author Ellen Hopkins and discuss the principle characters, subjects and themes in the Crank series. How old is Kristina Snow when she is introduced in the first novel, Crank? What are the effects of Kristina's actions in the first two novels? How do the first two novels of the series relate to the subjects in Fallout?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of sexual abuse in the novel. Which characters have been abused and by whom? Who is to blame for the abuse that Kristina's children have suffered and why? In what ways did Kristina herself face sexual abuse?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Autumn's relationship with her aunt and grandfather in the novel. How has Autumn's childhood illustrated greater stability than those of her siblings? What does Autumn know about her father and how does she feel about his abandonment?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)