|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who learns that his father is upset because Kristina has been in contact about another of her schemes in the beginning of the novel?
2. What character in the novel is highly intelligent and enrolled in advanced academic classes in school?
3. Trey is released from prison shortly before what holiday?
4. What is the name of Kristina's stepfather?
5. What is the name of the foster sister who has abused Ashante in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads to the greatest increase in instability for Summer's character in the novel? How does she feel about her situation?
2. In what ways does Hunter struggle with his mother's addiction in the novel? How is Summer's struggle similar?
3. What are the first days of Summer and Kyle's journey like in the novel? How do they get into a car accident?
4. What are the causes of Autumn's anxiety and insecurity leading up to Thanksgiving in the novel?
5. What are Summer's experiences with each of her parents like on Thanksgiving in the novel? What does she discover about her family?
6. What confrontations does Summer have with her mother and father after her father spends the weekend in jail in the novel?
7. How is Hunter's character introduced in the novel? What is his family setting like? How does Hunter feel about his parents?
8. Why is Nikki upset about her family in the beginning of the novel? How does Hunter relate?
9. Describe the stylistic elements of Fallout. How is the novel divided into sections? What effect does the style have on the reader?
10. What leads up to Summer's confrontation with Erica in the novel? How do Matt and Kyle react to this confrontation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the theme of teenage pregnancy in the novel. How old was Kristina when she first gave birth? How is teenage pregnancy foreshadowed in both of Kristina's daughters in the narrative? How is teenage pregnancy related to the theme of responsibility?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the cycle of addiction in the novel. In what ways are the sins of the parents revisited on Kristina's children? Who shows tendencies for chemical dependency in the novel and in what ways? What are the underlying causes for these tendencies?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the impact of Kristina's actions on her mother, Marie Haskins, and her stepfather, Scott Haskins. In what ways has Marie defended and even enabled her daughter's harmful behavior? Why? How have Kristina's actions impacted her siblings?
This section contains 1,761 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)