|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The name Fresno is Spanish for what word?
2. What is the name of the radio station where Hunter works as an on-air personality?
3. Kristina was first introduced to crank while visiting whom?
4. How old is Ashante in the novel?
5. What is the name of Summer's boyfriend's best friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Summer first become intimate with in the novel? How is this event described?
2. Why does Marie Haskins go to Las Vegas in the novel? What does Hunter learn has happened with his mother there?
3. Describe Autumn's childhood and family life in the novel. Where does she live and with whom?
4. What upsets Autumn about her aunt's evolving relationship with Liam in the novel?
5. Describe Autumn's emotional status in the beginning of the novel. What is the cause of Autumn's feelings of isolation?
6. Why is Nikki upset about her family in the beginning of the novel? How does Hunter relate?
7. With whom is Summer having a relationship in the beginning of the novel? How does she feel about her boyfriend?
8. Where is Hunter working when he is first approached and flirted with by fans in the novel?
9. How is Hunter's tendency toward infidelity illustrated as an addiction in the novel?
10. How has Autumn's childhood affected her current romantic relationship in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe, analyze and discuss the narrative structure of the novel. How is the novel nontraditional in its separation of chapters and in its narrative voice? Is the plot structure traditional or non-traditional? Where does the rising action in the novel take place? Where is the climax?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of sexual abuse in the novel. Which characters have been abused and by whom? Who is to blame for the abuse that Kristina's children have suffered and why? In what ways did Kristina herself face sexual abuse?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the impact of Kristina's actions on her mother, Marie Haskins, and her stepfather, Scott Haskins. In what ways has Marie defended and even enabled her daughter's harmful behavior? Why? How have Kristina's actions impacted her siblings?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)