|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Autumn's father in prison for in the beginning of the novel?
2. Who is sympathetic to Summer's ordeal and the cut on her face?
3. Summer's father used to be a crank addict but now is simply what, in the beginning of the novel?
4. Who tells Hunter that he needs to separate himself from his on-air persona if he wants his relationship to work in the novel?
5. What does OCD stand for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who has abused Summer's young foster sister Ashante in the novel? How does Summer discover this fact?
2. How is Hunter's tendency toward infidelity illustrated as an addiction in the novel?
3. Where is Hunter working when he is first approached and flirted with by fans in the novel?
4. Describe the stylistic elements of Fallout. How is the novel divided into sections? What effect does the style have on the reader?
5. Describe Autumn's emotional status in the beginning of the novel. What is the cause of Autumn's feelings of isolation?
6. What happens when Nikki sees Hunter being flirted with by fans in the novel? What advice does Montana give Hunter?
7. Who does Summer first become intimate with in the novel? How is this event described?
8. Describe Summer's family and living arrangements in the beginning of the novel. What separated Summer from her father?
9. Why does Marie Haskins go to Las Vegas in the novel? What does Hunter learn has happened with his mother there?
10. With whom is Summer having a relationship in the beginning of the novel? How does she feel about her boyfriend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss examples of symbolism and imagery in the narrative. What does the stranger at the talent show represent to Hunter? What is symbolized by Hunter's infidelity with Leah in the narrative? What does Kristina represent symbolically to each of her children?
Essay Topic 2
Describe, analyze and discuss the narrative structure of the novel. How is the novel nontraditional in its separation of chapters and in its narrative voice? Is the plot structure traditional or non-traditional? Where does the rising action in the novel take place? Where is the climax?
Essay Topic 3
Describe, analyze and discuss the narrative style of the novel. From whose perspective is the story told and how does this shift throughout the novel? How many protagonists does the novel have? Is the narrative point of view omniscient or limited?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)