|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What means continuance without change; permanence?
2. Brendan is a veteran of what war?
3. Scott became Kristina's stepfather when she was how old?
4. What refers to the existing order of things; present customs, practices, and power relations?
5. Of Kristina's three eldest children, who is the one who sees both her mother and father regularly in the beginning of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Summer first become intimate with in the novel? How is this event described?
2. How has Autumn's childhood affected her current romantic relationship in the novel?
3. Describe the character of Cora Shepherd in the novel. How did Autumn come into Cora's custody?
4. Why does Marie Haskins go to Las Vegas in the novel? What does Hunter learn has happened with his mother there?
5. Describe the stylistic elements of Fallout. How is the novel divided into sections? What effect does the style have on the reader?
6. Who has abused Summer's young foster sister Ashante in the novel? How does Summer discover this fact?
7. What are the causes of Autumn's anxiety and insecurity leading up to Thanksgiving in the novel?
8. Describe Autumn's emotional status in the beginning of the novel. What is the cause of Autumn's feelings of isolation?
9. How do Hunter's insecurities about his family impact his current relationship in the novel?
10. What does Autumn know about her biological parents in the beginning of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the cycle of addiction in the novel. In what ways are the sins of the parents revisited on Kristina's children? Who shows tendencies for chemical dependency in the novel and in what ways? What are the underlying causes for these tendencies?
Essay Topic 2
Describe, analyze and discuss the narrative style of the novel. From whose perspective is the story told and how does this shift throughout the novel? How many protagonists does the novel have? Is the narrative point of view omniscient or limited?
Essay Topic 3
Describe, analyze and discuss the narrative structure of the novel. How is the novel nontraditional in its separation of chapters and in its narrative voice? Is the plot structure traditional or non-traditional? Where does the rising action in the novel take place? Where is the climax?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)