Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Autumn's middle name?
2. Whom does Hunter offer to move in with after problems arise with his mother?
3. How old is Summer when she is introduced in the novel?
4. Who is Kristina's oldest child?
5. Who is distant and openly disgusted to Summer's ordeal and the cut on her face?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of Cora Shepherd in the novel. How did Autumn come into Cora's custody?
2. What leads up to Summer's confrontation with Erica in the novel? How do Matt and Kyle react to this confrontation?
3. Where does Kyle spend Thanksgiving in the novel? How does Summer feel about his absence?
4. Where does Summer learn she will be going to stay with a new foster family after her dad spends a weekend in jail in the novel? What concerns does Summer have about the situation?
5. Describe the character of Trey Shepherd. What was Trey's relationship with Kristina like?
6. In what ways have Kristina's children suffered due to her addiction? How is the suffering of the older children different than that of the youngest?
7. Who spends Christmas dinner at the Haskins' home in the end of the novel? How does Hunter feel about the gathering?
8. Where does Autumn spend Thanksgiving dinner in the novel? How does she feel about this setting?
9. What does Trey tell Autumn about her childhood when he arrives at Aunt Cora's house after the wedding? What does this inspire Autumn to do?
10. What is Summer's interaction with her grandfather like in the hospital on Christmas? What hope does Summer have?
Describe and discuss examples of symbolism and imagery in the narrative. What does the stranger at the talent show represent to Hunter? What is symbolized by Hunter's infidelity with Leah in the narrative? What does Kristina represent symbolically to each of her children?
Define, analyze and discuss the themes of abandonment and neglect in the novel. What effects have been seen in Kristina's children of their abandonment by their parents? How has their neglect or abandonment affected them differently. How are the older children's experiences better or worse than those of the elder children?
Describe, analyze and discuss the narrative style of the novel. From whose perspective is the story told and how does this shift throughout the novel? How many protagonists does the novel have? Is the narrative point of view omniscient or limited?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)