|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is sympathetic to Summer's ordeal and the cut on her face?
2. Kristina's mother flies to __________ to care for Kristina after she is beat up by her boyfriend.
3. What character in the novel is highly intelligent and enrolled in advanced academic classes in school?
4. The name Fresno is Spanish for what word?
5. What new boy in Autumn's class seems interested in her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of Kristina Snow Shepherd. What is Kristina's history in the Crank series? How is Kristina viewed by her children?
2. Describe the stylistic elements of Fallout. How is the novel divided into sections? What effect does the style have on the reader?
3. How do Hunter's insecurities about his family impact his current relationship in the novel?
4. How is Hunter's tendency toward infidelity illustrated as an addiction in the novel?
5. Describe Summer's family and living arrangements in the beginning of the novel. What separated Summer from her father?
6. What are the causes of Autumn's anxiety and insecurity leading up to Thanksgiving in the novel?
7. What leads up to Summer's confrontation with Erica in the novel? How do Matt and Kyle react to this confrontation?
8. Who does Summer first become intimate with in the novel? How is this event described?
9. What leads up to Autumn's first kiss in the novel? What causes her anxiety before this event?
10. Describe the character of Cora Shepherd in the novel. How did Autumn come into Cora's custody?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Autumn's relationship with her aunt and grandfather in the novel. How has Autumn's childhood illustrated greater stability than those of her siblings? What does Autumn know about her father and how does she feel about his abandonment?
Essay Topic 2
Describe, analyze and discuss the narrative style of the novel. From whose perspective is the story told and how does this shift throughout the novel? How many protagonists does the novel have? Is the narrative point of view omniscient or limited?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the cycle of addiction in the novel. In what ways are the sins of the parents revisited on Kristina's children? Who shows tendencies for chemical dependency in the novel and in what ways? What are the underlying causes for these tendencies?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)