|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Scott became Kristina's stepfather when she was how old?
2. Who shares the foster home in which Summer lives in the beginning of the novel?
3. Who is Kristina's second child?
4. Nikki is upset because her parents are _________ in the beginning of the novel.
5. What is the name of Kristina's stepfather?
Short Essay Questions
1. With whom is Summer having a relationship in the beginning of the novel? How does she feel about her boyfriend?
2. What leads up to Autumn's first kiss in the novel? What causes her anxiety before this event?
3. What does Autumn know about her biological parents in the beginning of the novel?
4. Describe Autumn's emotional status in the beginning of the novel. What is the cause of Autumn's feelings of isolation?
5. Describe Autumn's childhood and family life in the novel. Where does she live and with whom?
6. Describe the character of Trey Shepherd. What was Trey's relationship with Kristina like?
7. How does Summer feel about her father in the beginning of the novel? What is her relationship with her mother like?
8. Why does Marie Haskins go to Las Vegas in the novel? What does Hunter learn has happened with his mother there?
9. How is Hunter's character introduced in the novel? What is his family setting like? How does Hunter feel about his parents?
10. What upsets Autumn about her aunt's evolving relationship with Liam in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the impact of Kristina's actions on her mother, Marie Haskins, and her stepfather, Scott Haskins. In what ways has Marie defended and even enabled her daughter's harmful behavior? Why? How have Kristina's actions impacted her siblings?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of sexual abuse in the novel. Which characters have been abused and by whom? Who is to blame for the abuse that Kristina's children have suffered and why? In what ways did Kristina herself face sexual abuse?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the insecurity and isolation which plague Autumn in the novel. Why does Autumn feel incapable of being loved? How did her parents' actions contribute to Autumn's insecurity and inferiority complexes? How does she attempt to overcome them?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)