|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lily believe impregnated Frances?
2. Who does Mr. Mahmoud blame for the stolen items in his house?
3. How does Frances's baby die?
4. How does Lily react when she meets Rose for the first time?
5. Who tells Lily the truth that Kathleen is her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Jeanne?
2. How does Mercedes feel about school?
3. What leads Mercedes to believe Lily is a saint?
4. Who is Ginger?
5. What job does Frances get after running away from home?
6. What light does Rose shed on the real father of Kathleen's babies?
7. Why is Teresa Taylor fired from her job?
8. How does Frances seduce Leo Taylor?
9. How does Frances spy on Leo Taylor?
10. What happens to Mercedes after her high school graduation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Frances's relationship with her Uncle Jameel and cousin Boutros. How do each of these men feel about Frances? In what ways does Uncle Jameel's treatment of Frances parallel James's treatment of Frances? How do each of these men affect Frances's sexual awakening? Which man do you think has a larger impact on Frances's sexuality? Why? Finally, describe Boutros's relationship with Frances. In what ways is his treatment of Frances different than anyone else's? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
There are three male babies born in the novel, and each of them dies shortly after birth. First, describe the three male babies and explain how each of them died. What symbolism can be found in the repeated death of the male babies? Do you think it is a coincidence that all the male babies died, or something darker? Did any of the babies die under suspicious circumstances? Finally, theorize how life in the Piper family might have been different if just one of the male babies had survived. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The idea of demons and devils is ever present in the novel. First, describe James's demon. Where did the demon come from? What does it tempt him to do? How does James try to overcome his demon's power? Then, compare / contrast James's demon to Frances's devil. Where does Frances believe her devil came from? What does it tempt her to do? What do you think the presence of demons and devils symbolizes in the Piper family history? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)