|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mercedes turn down her university scholarship?
2. Which of the following medical ailments does James suffer from, after he learns of Frances's pregnancy?
3. Why won't James let Frances drop out of school like she wants?
4. Why is Frances expelled from school?
5. How does pregnancy affect Frances's character?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Frances spy on Leo Taylor?
2. How did Rose and Kathleen fall in love?
3. How does the Piper family react to the news that Frances has a job?
4. How did Lily react when she met Rose for the first time?
5. Who is Ginger?
6. How does Mercedes feel about school?
7. What truth does Frances finally reveal to Lily before she leaves for Mabou to give birth?
8. What happens to Francess' baby shortly after its birth?
9. What happens to Mercedes after her high school graduation?
10. Who is Jeanne?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of demons and devils is ever present in the novel. First, describe James's demon. Where did the demon come from? What does it tempt him to do? How does James try to overcome his demon's power? Then, compare / contrast James's demon to Frances's devil. Where does Frances believe her devil came from? What does it tempt her to do? What do you think the presence of demons and devils symbolizes in the Piper family history? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Frances's relationship with her Uncle Jameel and cousin Boutros. How do each of these men feel about Frances? In what ways does Uncle Jameel's treatment of Frances parallel James's treatment of Frances? How do each of these men affect Frances's sexual awakening? Which man do you think has a larger impact on Frances's sexuality? Why? Finally, describe Boutros's relationship with Frances. In what ways is his treatment of Frances different than anyone else's? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Lily is often described as an eerie child with special powers in the spiritual world. First, describe Lily's relationship with her dead brother, Ambrose. In what ways does Ambrose come to Lily and "speak" to her. How do these conversations with Ambrose inform Lily's understanding of Piper family dynamics? Then, describe Mercedes' religious reaction to Lily's spirituality. What hopes and fears does she have for Lily's future? Finally, describe Lily's own reaction to her communing with spirits. What, if anything, does she wish she could change about herself? Why? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)