|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why won't James let Frances drop out of school like she wants?
2. What did Mercedes rename Frances's son?
3. What persona does Frances take on while working for her Uncle Jameel?
4. Who does Mercedes believe is the cause of the family's pain and suffering?
5. Why didn't Mercedes want Frances to raise her own son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What light does Rose shed on the real father of Kathleen's babies?
2. What happens to Mercedes after her high school graduation?
3. How did Lily react when she met Rose for the first time?
4. What happens to Francess' baby shortly after its birth?
5. What truth does Frances finally reveal to Lily before she leaves for Mabou to give birth?
6. What story does Frances tell Lily that causes her to pass out in a cave?
7. How does Lily believe Frances was impregnated?
8. How does the Piper family react to the news that Frances has a job?
9. How does Frances react to her pregnancy?
10. How did Rose and Kathleen fall in love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of demons and devils is ever present in the novel. First, describe James's demon. Where did the demon come from? What does it tempt him to do? How does James try to overcome his demon's power? Then, compare / contrast James's demon to Frances's devil. Where does Frances believe her devil came from? What does it tempt her to do? What do you think the presence of demons and devils symbolizes in the Piper family history? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the piano introduced in the first few chapters of the novel. Why was this object so important to James, and what did it symbolize in his life? Describe how the piano came from ruins in James's childhood home to ruins in Materia's married home. What effect did the piano have on Materia as a character and on her marriage to James? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Both Materia and Mercedes have a strong Catholic faith. First, describe Materia's religious beliefs and how she passed them on to her daughter. Then, describe Mercedes' religious beliefs. In what ways does religion affect Mercedes' daily life? Which relationship do you think is most affected by Mercedes' religious beliefs? What troubles arise due to Mercedes' zeal? Finally, explain whether or not you believe religion has a positive or negative impact on the Piper family, and why. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)