|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of music did Kathleen and Rose listen to?
2. Who send James Piper the anonymous note informing him of Kathleen's relationship with Rose?
3. In the first few weeks of working for her Uncle Jameel, what is Frances NOT expected to do?
4. How does Adelaide Taylor feel about Frances?
5. Why doesn't James want to remember Armistice Day?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Frances react to her pregnancy?
2. Who is Ginger?
3. What story does Frances tell Lily that causes her to pass out in a cave?
4. How did Rose and Kathleen fall in love?
5. What light does Rose shed on the real father of Kathleen's babies?
6. How does Mercedes feel about school?
7. How does Lily believe Frances was impregnated?
8. How does Frances feel about school?
9. How does Frances seduce Leo Taylor?
10. How does the Piper family react to the news that Frances has a job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Lily hears different stories about her brother Ambrose and the way he died. First, describe at least two stories that Frances tells Lily about Ambrose. Then, compare / contrast those stories to the truth of what really happened to Ambrose. What did Frances gain by lying to Lily about her brother? How did these stories affect Lily's character? Then, explain how Lily finally found out the truth about Ambrose, and what her reaction to that truth was. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Materia's relationship with music as she grows up, particularly during the time of her marriage to James. What did music symbolize for Materia? During what times was Materia allowed to express herself through music? Then, compare / contrast Materia's life when she was allowed access to music with the times she was not allowed access to music. What aspects of Materia's life changed without music? What does this tell you about Materia as a character, and about the various relationships in her life? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout Lily's upbringing, she hears lies regarding where she came from and why she is alive, particularly from her older sister Frances. First, describe the web of lies Frances and the rest of the family constructed regarding Lily's heritage. When does Lily begin to realize these stories are fabrications? What is her reaction to this unraveling of truth? Why do you think the Piper family felt it necessary to lie to Lily about her past? Were they trying to protect her, or did they have other, darker motivations in the lies? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen their arguments.
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)