|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Camille react when she meets her niece Frances for the first time?
2. What persona does Frances take on while working for her Uncle Jameel?
3. Why is Frances expelled from school?
4. What happens moments before Lily passes out in the cave?
5. What does Frances plan to do with her earnings from working for her Uncle Jameel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads Mercedes to believe Lily is a saint?
2. How does Frances feel about school?
3. How does Lily believe Frances was impregnated?
4. What happens to Mercedes after her high school graduation?
5. What story does Frances tell Lily that causes her to pass out in a cave?
6. How does Mercedes feel about school?
7. Who is Ginger?
8. What happens to Francess' baby shortly after its birth?
9. What light does Rose shed on the real father of Kathleen's babies?
10. How does the Piper family react to the news that Frances has a job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are three male babies born in the novel, and each of them dies shortly after birth. First, describe the three male babies and explain how each of them died. What symbolism can be found in the repeated death of the male babies? Do you think it is a coincidence that all the male babies died, or something darker? Did any of the babies die under suspicious circumstances? Finally, theorize how life in the Piper family might have been different if just one of the male babies had survived. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Mercedes' personal ambitions in life. What did she hope would happen to her when she was an adult? In what ways did she work toward those goals? Then, explain what happened to Mercedes when she was an adult. Did her dreams come to fruition? Why or why not? Finally, describe the sacrifice Materia made to ensure that Mercedes have a safe and bright future. In the end, do you think that sacrifice was worth it? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the piano introduced in the first few chapters of the novel. Why was this object so important to James, and what did it symbolize in his life? Describe how the piano came from ruins in James's childhood home to ruins in Materia's married home. What effect did the piano have on Materia as a character and on her marriage to James? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)