|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Leo Taylor's nickname?
2. In the first few weeks of working for her Uncle Jameel, what is Frances NOT expected to do?
3. What type of business does Uncle Jameel own?
4. What is the name of the school Frances attends?
5. How does Camille react when she meets her niece Frances for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lily react when she met Rose for the first time?
2. Who is Jeanne?
3. What light does Rose shed on the real father of Kathleen's babies?
4. How does Frances seduce Leo Taylor?
5. How did Rose and Kathleen fall in love?
6. How does Lily believe Frances was impregnated?
7. How does Boutros die?
8. How does Frances feel about school?
9. What happens to Mercedes after her high school graduation?
10. What job does Frances get after running away from home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Materia and Mercedes have a strong Catholic faith. First, describe Materia's religious beliefs and how she passed them on to her daughter. Then, describe Mercedes' religious beliefs. In what ways does religion affect Mercedes' daily life? Which relationship do you think is most affected by Mercedes' religious beliefs? What troubles arise due to Mercedes' zeal? Finally, explain whether or not you believe religion has a positive or negative impact on the Piper family, and why. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
There are three male babies born in the novel, and each of them dies shortly after birth. First, describe the three male babies and explain how each of them died. What symbolism can be found in the repeated death of the male babies? Do you think it is a coincidence that all the male babies died, or something darker? Did any of the babies die under suspicious circumstances? Finally, theorize how life in the Piper family might have been different if just one of the male babies had survived. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
In school, Kathleen is clearly ostracized by her peers. First, describe the type of student Kathleen was in school. What were her strengths? What were her weaknesses? Then, describe, with specific examples, the way Kathleen was treated in school. Why do you think she was treated this way? Do you think she deserved this type of treatment? Why or why not? Finally, who, if anyone, is to blame for Kathleen's maltreatment in school? Kathleen herself? The students? Or someone else? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)