|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mercedes place a photograph of Kathleen, much to James's anger?
2. Where was Kathleen's lover David going to be sent during the war?
3. How does Frances's baby die?
4. What persona does Frances take on while working for her Uncle Jameel?
5. What happens moments before Lily passes out in the cave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What truth does Frances finally reveal to Lily before she leaves for Mabou to give birth?
2. How does Frances react to her pregnancy?
3. How does Lily believe Frances was impregnated?
4. What leads Mercedes to believe Lily is a saint?
5. Who is Ginger?
6. What story does Frances tell Lily that causes her to pass out in a cave?
7. What job does Frances get after running away from home?
8. What light does Rose shed on the real father of Kathleen's babies?
9. How did Rose and Kathleen fall in love?
10. What happens to Francess' baby shortly after its birth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lily is often described as an eerie child with special powers in the spiritual world. First, describe Lily's relationship with her dead brother, Ambrose. In what ways does Ambrose come to Lily and "speak" to her. How do these conversations with Ambrose inform Lily's understanding of Piper family dynamics? Then, describe Mercedes' religious reaction to Lily's spirituality. What hopes and fears does she have for Lily's future? Finally, describe Lily's own reaction to her communing with spirits. What, if anything, does she wish she could change about herself? Why? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Mercedes' personal ambitions in life. What did she hope would happen to her when she was an adult? In what ways did she work toward those goals? Then, explain what happened to Mercedes when she was an adult. Did her dreams come to fruition? Why or why not? Finally, describe the sacrifice Materia made to ensure that Mercedes have a safe and bright future. In the end, do you think that sacrifice was worth it? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the event of Frances baptizing the twins down by the river. Throughout the novel, the events are told from Frances, Mercedes, and James's perspectives. How do these perspectives of events differ? How are they same? What is gained is experiencing the events through three different perspectives? What is lost? Why do you think MacDonald chose to rewrite these events three times? What message is she trying to send about this event and its effects on the family? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)