|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of business does Uncle Jameel own?
2. Who shoots Frances?
3. Where was Kathleen's lover David going to be sent during the war?
4. What does Lily demand when business picks up at the speakeasy?
5. Which New York borough most captured Kathleen's imagination?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Mercedes after her high school graduation?
2. How does Mercedes feel about school?
3. How did Lily react when she met Rose for the first time?
4. How does Lily believe Frances was impregnated?
5. What job does Frances get after running away from home?
6. Who is Jeanne?
7. How does Frances spy on Leo Taylor?
8. What story does Frances tell Lily that causes her to pass out in a cave?
9. How does Frances seduce Leo Taylor?
10. What light does Rose shed on the real father of Kathleen's babies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In school, Kathleen is clearly ostracized by her peers. First, describe the type of student Kathleen was in school. What were her strengths? What were her weaknesses? Then, describe, with specific examples, the way Kathleen was treated in school. Why do you think she was treated this way? Do you think she deserved this type of treatment? Why or why not? Finally, who, if anyone, is to blame for Kathleen's maltreatment in school? Kathleen herself? The students? Or someone else? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout her life, Kathleen has nightmares about Pete the scarecrow. Describe at least two nightmares Kathleen has, and her reaction to these dreams. What do you think Pete symbolized in Kathleen's life? Describe the final nightmare Kathleen had about Pete, in the moments before she died. What is symbolic about this vision? In the moment of her death, do you think Kathleen finally understood what Pete the scarecrow meant? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout his fatherhood, James has worked a variety of jobs to support his family. First, create a time line of James's employment throughout the novel. Which jobs did he most enjoy? Which did he least enjoy? What traits about each of the jobs make them similar? Then, explain how these jobs help to characterize James not only as a man but as a father? What symbolism can be found in James's line of work? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)