|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the first few weeks of working for her Uncle Jameel, what is Frances NOT expected to do?
2. Who does Mr. Mahmoud blame for the stolen items in his house?
3. Where is Lily supposed to be on the day Frances drags her into the cave?
4. Why is Frances expelled from school?
5. Where does Mercedes arrange for Frances to give birth to her baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Piper family react to the news that Frances has a job?
2. How does Boutros die?
3. Who is Jeanne?
4. How does Frances seduce Leo Taylor?
5. How does Frances react to her pregnancy?
6. How did Rose and Kathleen fall in love?
7. Who is Ginger?
8. What happens to Mercedes after her high school graduation?
9. How does Mercedes feel about school?
10. How does Lily believe Frances was impregnated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Materia's relationship with music as she grows up, particularly during the time of her marriage to James. What did music symbolize for Materia? During what times was Materia allowed to express herself through music? Then, compare / contrast Materia's life when she was allowed access to music with the times she was not allowed access to music. What aspects of Materia's life changed without music? What does this tell you about Materia as a character, and about the various relationships in her life? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Language is large theme in this novel. First, describe Materia's relationship to her mother tongue and the ways she passed this on to her daughters. Then, compare / contrast Kathleen's relationship with her mother tongue to the relationship the rest of the Piper girls have with the language. How does this difference in language represent the maternal difference Materia felt for her various daughters? Finally, describe how the Piper girls kept Materia's mother tongue alive after her death, and what symbolism this language had on their daily lives after her passing. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Mercedes' personal ambitions in life. What did she hope would happen to her when she was an adult? In what ways did she work toward those goals? Then, explain what happened to Mercedes when she was an adult. Did her dreams come to fruition? Why or why not? Finally, describe the sacrifice Materia made to ensure that Mercedes have a safe and bright future. In the end, do you think that sacrifice was worth it? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your argument.
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)