|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the true father of Kathleen's children?
2. Where does Mercedes arrange for Frances to give birth to her baby?
3. Which of the following items is NOT something Lily takes with her from the hope chest when she runs away from home?
4. What is the name of Jameel's only son?
5. What ailment affects Teresa Taylor's husband Hector?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Frances spy on Leo Taylor?
2. What happens to Mercedes after her high school graduation?
3. Who is Ginger?
4. How did Lily react when she met Rose for the first time?
5. How does Frances seduce Leo Taylor?
6. How does Frances feel about school?
7. Why is Teresa Taylor fired from her job?
8. How does the Piper family react to the news that Frances has a job?
9. What light does Rose shed on the real father of Kathleen's babies?
10. How does Frances react to her pregnancy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of demons and devils is ever present in the novel. First, describe James's demon. Where did the demon come from? What does it tempt him to do? How does James try to overcome his demon's power? Then, compare / contrast James's demon to Frances's devil. Where does Frances believe her devil came from? What does it tempt her to do? What do you think the presence of demons and devils symbolizes in the Piper family history? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout Lily's upbringing, she hears lies regarding where she came from and why she is alive, particularly from her older sister Frances. First, describe the web of lies Frances and the rest of the family constructed regarding Lily's heritage. When does Lily begin to realize these stories are fabrications? What is her reaction to this unraveling of truth? Why do you think the Piper family felt it necessary to lie to Lily about her past? Were they trying to protect her, or did they have other, darker motivations in the lies? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen their arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Lily hears different stories about her brother Ambrose and the way he died. First, describe at least two stories that Frances tells Lily about Ambrose. Then, compare / contrast those stories to the truth of what really happened to Ambrose. What did Frances gain by lying to Lily about her brother? How did these stories affect Lily's character? Then, explain how Lily finally found out the truth about Ambrose, and what her reaction to that truth was. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)