|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Adelaide Taylor feel about Frances?
2. Who send James Piper the anonymous note informing him of Kathleen's relationship with Rose?
3. What happens moments before Lily passes out in the cave?
4. How long does it take Lily to reach New York from New Waterford?
5. What does Frances attempt to purchase from Leo Taylor while wearing her Girl Scout uniform?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Ginger?
2. What light does Rose shed on the real father of Kathleen's babies?
3. What happens to Mercedes after her high school graduation?
4. Why is Teresa Taylor fired from her job?
5. How does Boutros die?
6. How does Frances spy on Leo Taylor?
7. What leads Mercedes to believe Lily is a saint?
8. What happens to Francess' baby shortly after its birth?
9. Who is Jeanne?
10. What job does Frances get after running away from home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the event of Frances baptizing the twins down by the river. Throughout the novel, the events are told from Frances, Mercedes, and James's perspectives. How do these perspectives of events differ? How are they same? What is gained is experiencing the events through three different perspectives? What is lost? Why do you think MacDonald chose to rewrite these events three times? What message is she trying to send about this event and its effects on the family? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Frances's relationship with her Uncle Jameel and cousin Boutros. How do each of these men feel about Frances? In what ways does Uncle Jameel's treatment of Frances parallel James's treatment of Frances? How do each of these men affect Frances's sexual awakening? Which man do you think has a larger impact on Frances's sexuality? Why? Finally, describe Boutros's relationship with Frances. In what ways is his treatment of Frances different than anyone else's? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Lily hears different stories about her brother Ambrose and the way he died. First, describe at least two stories that Frances tells Lily about Ambrose. Then, compare / contrast those stories to the truth of what really happened to Ambrose. What did Frances gain by lying to Lily about her brother? How did these stories affect Lily's character? Then, explain how Lily finally found out the truth about Ambrose, and what her reaction to that truth was. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)