|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shoots Frances?
2. What school offers Mercedes a full scholarship to attend their University?
3. At which famous New York building did Herr Blutwurst arrange for Kathleen to have an audition?
4. Why doesn't James want to remember Armistice Day?
5. How does Adelaide Taylor feel about Frances?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mercedes feel about school?
2. How does Frances seduce Leo Taylor?
3. What happens to Mercedes after her high school graduation?
4. What leads Mercedes to believe Lily is a saint?
5. How did Rose and Kathleen fall in love?
6. What light does Rose shed on the real father of Kathleen's babies?
7. What job does Frances get after running away from home?
8. What story does Frances tell Lily that causes her to pass out in a cave?
9. What truth does Frances finally reveal to Lily before she leaves for Mabou to give birth?
10. Who is Ginger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In school, Kathleen is clearly ostracized by her peers. First, describe the type of student Kathleen was in school. What were her strengths? What were her weaknesses? Then, describe, with specific examples, the way Kathleen was treated in school. Why do you think she was treated this way? Do you think she deserved this type of treatment? Why or why not? Finally, who, if anyone, is to blame for Kathleen's maltreatment in school? Kathleen herself? The students? Or someone else? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the event of Frances baptizing the twins down by the river. Throughout the novel, the events are told from Frances, Mercedes, and James's perspectives. How do these perspectives of events differ? How are they same? What is gained is experiencing the events through three different perspectives? What is lost? Why do you think MacDonald chose to rewrite these events three times? What message is she trying to send about this event and its effects on the family? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Mercedes' personal ambitions in life. What did she hope would happen to her when she was an adult? In what ways did she work toward those goals? Then, explain what happened to Mercedes when she was an adult. Did her dreams come to fruition? Why or why not? Finally, describe the sacrifice Materia made to ensure that Mercedes have a safe and bright future. In the end, do you think that sacrifice was worth it? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your argument.
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)