|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who send James Piper the anonymous note informing him of Kathleen's relationship with Rose?
2. At which famous New York building did Herr Blutwurst arrange for Kathleen to have an audition?
3. How does Camille react when she meets her niece Frances for the first time?
4. Where does Mercedes pray?
5. Where is Lily supposed to be on the day Frances drags her into the cave?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Boutros die?
2. How does Frances feel about school?
3. How does Frances seduce Leo Taylor?
4. How does Frances react to her pregnancy?
5. How did Rose and Kathleen fall in love?
6. What truth does Frances finally reveal to Lily before she leaves for Mabou to give birth?
7. What job does Frances get after running away from home?
8. Who is Jeanne?
9. What light does Rose shed on the real father of Kathleen's babies?
10. What happens to Francess' baby shortly after its birth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout Lily's upbringing, she hears lies regarding where she came from and why she is alive, particularly from her older sister Frances. First, describe the web of lies Frances and the rest of the family constructed regarding Lily's heritage. When does Lily begin to realize these stories are fabrications? What is her reaction to this unraveling of truth? Why do you think the Piper family felt it necessary to lie to Lily about her past? Were they trying to protect her, or did they have other, darker motivations in the lies? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen their arguments.
Essay Topic 2
The idea of demons and devils is ever present in the novel. First, describe James's demon. Where did the demon come from? What does it tempt him to do? How does James try to overcome his demon's power? Then, compare / contrast James's demon to Frances's devil. Where does Frances believe her devil came from? What does it tempt her to do? What do you think the presence of demons and devils symbolizes in the Piper family history? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Lily is often described as an eerie child with special powers in the spiritual world. First, describe Lily's relationship with her dead brother, Ambrose. In what ways does Ambrose come to Lily and "speak" to her. How do these conversations with Ambrose inform Lily's understanding of Piper family dynamics? Then, describe Mercedes' religious reaction to Lily's spirituality. What hopes and fears does she have for Lily's future? Finally, describe Lily's own reaction to her communing with spirits. What, if anything, does she wish she could change about herself? Why? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)