|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why won't James let Frances drop out of school like she wants?
2. Who does Mr. Mahmoud blame for the stolen items in his house?
3. Where was Kathleen's lover David going to be sent during the war?
4. Who send James Piper the anonymous note informing him of Kathleen's relationship with Rose?
5. What happens moments before Lily passes out in the cave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Francess' baby shortly after its birth?
2. What light does Rose shed on the real father of Kathleen's babies?
3. What happens to Mercedes after her high school graduation?
4. How does Mercedes feel about school?
5. How did Rose and Kathleen fall in love?
6. How does Frances seduce Leo Taylor?
7. How does the Piper family react to the news that Frances has a job?
8. How does Frances feel about school?
9. How does Frances spy on Leo Taylor?
10. What job does Frances get after running away from home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One major theme of the novel is the parallels between the daughters' sexual awakenings. Choose two of the Piper daughters and describe their sexual awakenings. How old were they when they had their sexual awakenings? Did these experiences have a positive or negative effect on their lives? How did these awakenings come about? Then, explain what message you think MacDonald is sending to the reader about the sexual awakening of young girls. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Language is large theme in this novel. First, describe Materia's relationship to her mother tongue and the ways she passed this on to her daughters. Then, compare / contrast Kathleen's relationship with her mother tongue to the relationship the rest of the Piper girls have with the language. How does this difference in language represent the maternal difference Materia felt for her various daughters? Finally, describe how the Piper girls kept Materia's mother tongue alive after her death, and what symbolism this language had on their daily lives after her passing. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Both Materia and Mercedes have a strong Catholic faith. First, describe Materia's religious beliefs and how she passed them on to her daughter. Then, describe Mercedes' religious beliefs. In what ways does religion affect Mercedes' daily life? Which relationship do you think is most affected by Mercedes' religious beliefs? What troubles arise due to Mercedes' zeal? Finally, explain whether or not you believe religion has a positive or negative impact on the Piper family, and why. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)