|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mercedes arrange for Frances to give birth to her baby?
2. Which of the following medical ailments does James suffer from, after he learns of Frances's pregnancy?
3. What year does Mercedes graduate from high school?
4. What happens moments before Lily passes out in the cave?
5. How long does it take Lily to reach New York from New Waterford?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Mercedes after her high school graduation?
2. How does Frances react to her pregnancy?
3. How does the Piper family react to the news that Frances has a job?
4. How does Frances spy on Leo Taylor?
5. How does Frances seduce Leo Taylor?
6. How does Mercedes feel about school?
7. What job does Frances get after running away from home?
8. How did Lily react when she met Rose for the first time?
9. What truth does Frances finally reveal to Lily before she leaves for Mabou to give birth?
10. How does Boutros die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many scenes throughout the novel in which characters bathe each other. Choose at least two of these scenes and describe them here. What symbolism might be found in these scenes of bathing? Does the bathing seem appropriate or inappropriate given the familial relationships? Why? In what ways do the scenes of bathing parallel the family's obsession with religion? Do you think this bathing helps or harms the family? Why? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout her life, Frances has a strange relationship with Teresa Taylor, the Mahmoud's maid. First, describe how Frances and Teresa first met. Then, explain how Frances and Teresa's lives were intertwined without either of them ever knowing it. Do you think Teresa's presence in Frances's life was a blessing or a curse? Why? Finally, explain how Teresa and Frances finally amended their strange relationship in the hospital. What was the effect of these amends on each of their lives? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
In school, Kathleen is clearly ostracized by her peers. First, describe the type of student Kathleen was in school. What were her strengths? What were her weaknesses? Then, describe, with specific examples, the way Kathleen was treated in school. Why do you think she was treated this way? Do you think she deserved this type of treatment? Why or why not? Finally, who, if anyone, is to blame for Kathleen's maltreatment in school? Kathleen herself? The students? Or someone else? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)