|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mercedes place a photograph of Kathleen, much to James's anger?
2. Where was Kathleen's lover David going to be sent during the war?
3. How much money does Frances want to save up as a gift to Lily?
4. Where does Mercedes arrange for Frances to give birth to her baby?
5. Who tells Lily the truth that Kathleen is her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lily react when she met Rose for the first time?
2. What happens to Francess' baby shortly after its birth?
3. What truth does Frances finally reveal to Lily before she leaves for Mabou to give birth?
4. How did Rose and Kathleen fall in love?
5. What story does Frances tell Lily that causes her to pass out in a cave?
6. Who is Ginger?
7. How does Frances react to her pregnancy?
8. How does Lily believe Frances was impregnated?
9. How does Mercedes feel about school?
10. How does Frances feel about school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of demons and devils is ever present in the novel. First, describe James's demon. Where did the demon come from? What does it tempt him to do? How does James try to overcome his demon's power? Then, compare / contrast James's demon to Frances's devil. Where does Frances believe her devil came from? What does it tempt her to do? What do you think the presence of demons and devils symbolizes in the Piper family history? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the piano introduced in the first few chapters of the novel. Why was this object so important to James, and what did it symbolize in his life? Describe how the piano came from ruins in James's childhood home to ruins in Materia's married home. What effect did the piano have on Materia as a character and on her marriage to James? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout his fatherhood, James has worked a variety of jobs to support his family. First, create a time line of James's employment throughout the novel. Which jobs did he most enjoy? Which did he least enjoy? What traits about each of the jobs make them similar? Then, explain how these jobs help to characterize James not only as a man but as a father? What symbolism can be found in James's line of work? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)