|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Adelaide Taylor feel about Frances?
2. What happens moments before Lily passes out in the cave?
3. How does Frances's baby die?
4. What does Frances steal from the Mahmoud household when she breaks in?
5. Where do France and Leo have sex?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Mercedes after her high school graduation?
2. What happens to Francess' baby shortly after its birth?
3. Why is Teresa Taylor fired from her job?
4. How did Lily react when she met Rose for the first time?
5. Who is Ginger?
6. How did Rose and Kathleen fall in love?
7. How does Boutros die?
8. What leads Mercedes to believe Lily is a saint?
9. What job does Frances get after running away from home?
10. How does Frances spy on Leo Taylor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout her life, Kathleen has nightmares about Pete the scarecrow. Describe at least two nightmares Kathleen has, and her reaction to these dreams. What do you think Pete symbolized in Kathleen's life? Describe the final nightmare Kathleen had about Pete, in the moments before she died. What is symbolic about this vision? In the moment of her death, do you think Kathleen finally understood what Pete the scarecrow meant? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Lily hears different stories about her brother Ambrose and the way he died. First, describe at least two stories that Frances tells Lily about Ambrose. Then, compare / contrast those stories to the truth of what really happened to Ambrose. What did Frances gain by lying to Lily about her brother? How did these stories affect Lily's character? Then, explain how Lily finally found out the truth about Ambrose, and what her reaction to that truth was. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout her life, Frances has a strange relationship with Teresa Taylor, the Mahmoud's maid. First, describe how Frances and Teresa first met. Then, explain how Frances and Teresa's lives were intertwined without either of them ever knowing it. Do you think Teresa's presence in Frances's life was a blessing or a curse? Why? Finally, explain how Teresa and Frances finally amended their strange relationship in the hospital. What was the effect of these amends on each of their lives? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)