|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of business does Uncle Jameel own?
2. Why is Frances expelled from school?
3. Which part of Lily's afflicted body does Mercedes hope will be healed in Lourdes?
4. Where do France and Leo have sex?
5. Which New York borough most captured Kathleen's imagination?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Frances tell Lily that causes her to pass out in a cave?
2. How does Lily believe Frances was impregnated?
3. How did Rose and Kathleen fall in love?
4. What light does Rose shed on the real father of Kathleen's babies?
5. What happens to Mercedes after her high school graduation?
6. Why is Teresa Taylor fired from her job?
7. How does Frances react to her pregnancy?
8. How did Lily react when she met Rose for the first time?
9. What happens to Francess' baby shortly after its birth?
10. Who is Ginger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout her life, Kathleen has nightmares about Pete the scarecrow. Describe at least two nightmares Kathleen has, and her reaction to these dreams. What do you think Pete symbolized in Kathleen's life? Describe the final nightmare Kathleen had about Pete, in the moments before she died. What is symbolic about this vision? In the moment of her death, do you think Kathleen finally understood what Pete the scarecrow meant? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Materia's relationship with music as she grows up, particularly during the time of her marriage to James. What did music symbolize for Materia? During what times was Materia allowed to express herself through music? Then, compare / contrast Materia's life when she was allowed access to music with the times she was not allowed access to music. What aspects of Materia's life changed without music? What does this tell you about Materia as a character, and about the various relationships in her life? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Frances's relationship with her Uncle Jameel and cousin Boutros. How do each of these men feel about Frances? In what ways does Uncle Jameel's treatment of Frances parallel James's treatment of Frances? How do each of these men affect Frances's sexual awakening? Which man do you think has a larger impact on Frances's sexuality? Why? Finally, describe Boutros's relationship with Frances. In what ways is his treatment of Frances different than anyone else's? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)