|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frances plan to do with her earnings from working for her Uncle Jameel?
2. How does pregnancy affect Frances's character?
3. Why does Mercedes turn down her university scholarship?
4. What persona does Frances take on while working for her Uncle Jameel?
5. How does Mercedes react when she learns her father is ill?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Piper family react to the news that Frances has a job?
2. How does Frances spy on Leo Taylor?
3. How does Frances react to her pregnancy?
4. What light does Rose shed on the real father of Kathleen's babies?
5. How does Lily believe Frances was impregnated?
6. What leads Mercedes to believe Lily is a saint?
7. Who is Jeanne?
8. How does Frances feel about school?
9. How does Mercedes feel about school?
10. How did Lily react when she met Rose for the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout his fatherhood, James has worked a variety of jobs to support his family. First, create a time line of James's employment throughout the novel. Which jobs did he most enjoy? Which did he least enjoy? What traits about each of the jobs make them similar? Then, explain how these jobs help to characterize James not only as a man but as a father? What symbolism can be found in James's line of work? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Frances's relationship with her Uncle Jameel and cousin Boutros. How do each of these men feel about Frances? In what ways does Uncle Jameel's treatment of Frances parallel James's treatment of Frances? How do each of these men affect Frances's sexual awakening? Which man do you think has a larger impact on Frances's sexuality? Why? Finally, describe Boutros's relationship with Frances. In what ways is his treatment of Frances different than anyone else's? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The idea of demons and devils is ever present in the novel. First, describe James's demon. Where did the demon come from? What does it tempt him to do? How does James try to overcome his demon's power? Then, compare / contrast James's demon to Frances's devil. Where does Frances believe her devil came from? What does it tempt her to do? What do you think the presence of demons and devils symbolizes in the Piper family history? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)