|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following items is NOT something Lily takes with her from the hope chest when she runs away from home?
(a) Her mother's diary.
(b) All of Lily's money.
(c) Her father's pocketwatch.
(d) Her mother's green dress.
2. How does Frances's baby die?
(a) He dies in his sleep.
(b) He drowns in the creek.
(c) He is poisoned.
(d) He suffers from infant polio.
3. Why doesn't James want to remember Armistice Day?
(a) Because it reminds him of the horrors of war.
(b) Because it is the day his wife died.
(c) Because it is the day he sent Kathleen off to live in New York.
(d) Because it is the day he went searching for Kathleen.
4. Where do France and Leo have sex?
(a) In the backseat of Leo's car.
(b) In the speakeasy.
(c) In Leo's marital bed.
(d) In the caves.
5. Who does Frances claim is the devil?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Lily the truth that Kathleen is her mother?
2. What school offers Mercedes a full scholarship to attend their University?
3. Who send James Piper the anonymous note informing him of Kathleen's relationship with Rose?
4. Which New York borough most captured Kathleen's imagination?
5. How does pregnancy affect Frances's character?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Frances spy on Leo Taylor?
2. How does Boutros die?
3. Who is Jeanne?
4. What job does Frances get after running away from home?
5. What light does Rose shed on the real father of Kathleen's babies?
6. How did Rose and Kathleen fall in love?
7. How does Frances react to her pregnancy?
8. Why is Teresa Taylor fired from her job?
9. How does Frances seduce Leo Taylor?
10. What leads Mercedes to believe Lily is a saint?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)