|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Frances bring the new baby down to the river where he died?
(a) To teach him how to swim.
(b) To baptize him.
(c) To give him a drink.
(d) To bathe him.
2. Which family member found Materia after her apparent suicide?
3. When her father is gone, how does Kathleen treat her younger sisters?
(a) She beats them when no one is looking.
(b) She ignores them as usual.
(c) She is plesant to the girls, but takes no special interest in them.
(d) She plays and reads books with them.
4. What is Ambrose buried in?
(a) Materia's wedding dress.
(b) James's work shirt.
(c) His christening gown.
(d) Frances's nightgown.
5. What is the name of Kathleen's accompanist in New York?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Leo Taylor when he is hired by James to drive Kathleen to and from school?
2. What war does James fight in before returning home?
3. Who is the narrator of the novel when the reader learns about Materia's funeral?
4. How old is Kathleen during her first singing recital?
5. How often does Kathleen write home, after moving to New York?
Short Essay Questions
1. What nightmare does Lily have after hearing about Ambrose's death?
2. What did Mercedes think was happening when she watched the incident at the creek?
3. How does Materia respond to her first pregnancy?
4. How does James react when Kathleen sneaks up behind him and strikes a chord while his is tuning a piano?
5. How does Mumma die?
6. What is the reaction of Materia's parents to her marriage?
7. Where does James get the money to start his new business upon returning home?
8. What deal does Materia make with "the demon" to protect her second born daughter Mercedes?
9. What is the response to Kathleen's first public singing recital?
10. What does James do for a living?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)