|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What rushes from Ambrose's mouth during Lily's nightmares?
2. What thing could Kathleen do before she could talk?
3. What disease is Kathleen's baby born with, causing the house to be put in quarantine?
(d) Scarlet Fever.
4. What is James's reaction to burying Ambrose?
(a) He shouts and curses his daughters.
(b) He weeps loudly.
(c) He prays to the Heavens to protect the baby's lost soul.
(d) He is stoic and cold.
5. Who does Mercedes think visited her in the night, pressing dark fingerprints onto her forehead?
(a) Grandmother Mahmoud.
(b) Teresa Taylor.
(c) Kathleen Piper.
(d) Materia Piper.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mercedes feel guilty about Frances's lot in life?
2. Besides English, what other language does Materia speak at home?
3. Whose photograph does James want to take with him to war?
4. What war does James fight in before returning home?
5. How old was Frances at the time of her mother's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about Daddy's position in the armchair in the photograph of him described in the novel's prologue?
2. What is the response to Kathleen's first public singing recital?
3. How does Mumma die?
4. What makes James a good bootlegger?
5. How does James react when Kathleen sneaks up behind him and strikes a chord while his is tuning a piano?
6. What is the last thing Kathleen sees before she dies?
7. What is James's reaction when he realizes that someone has moved the stones around Ambrose's grave?
8. What wakes Mercedes up in the middle of the night on the evening before Materia's death?
9. How does James adjust to life at home with Kathleen living in New York?
10. What did Mercedes think was happening when she watched the incident at the creek?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)