|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following items is NOT described in detail in the opening passages of the prologue?
(a) The thin trees.
(b) The barren schoolyard.
(c) The cutaway cliffs.
(d) The bright moon.
2. What is James's reaction to burying Ambrose?
(a) He prays to the Heavens to protect the baby's lost soul.
(b) He weeps loudly.
(c) He shouts and curses his daughters.
(d) He is stoic and cold.
3. Which of Kathleen's family members unexpectedly shows up for her first recital performance?
(a) Her aunt.
(b) Her grandmother.
(c) Her uncle.
(d) Her grandfather.
4. Which of the following is NOT an object Frances proposed using as rosary beads when a proper rosary wasn't present?
(a) Dots on a newspaper.
(b) Mouse turds.
(c) Clouds in the sky.
5. What did James's father do for a living?
(a) He was a shoemaker.
(b) He was a piano tuner.
(c) He was a garbage collector.
(d) He was a philosophy teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of James's cousin, he sends Kathleen to live with in New York?
2. Who names the new baby Ambrose?
3. When Mercedes isn't taking care of the house, what does she like to do in her free time?
4. How old was James when his father moved out?
5. What is significant about Daddy's hair in the photograph the narrator describes in the prologue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reaction to Kathleen's talent when she arrives in New York City?
2. Why does Materia feel guilty about her expectations for James's future in the army?
3. What does Mercedes say one could use as rosary beads in case a proper rosary wasn't available?
4. What is James's reaction when he realizes that someone has moved the stones around Ambrose's grave?
5. What is the reaction of Materia's parents to her marriage?
6. What film stars do the Piper girls idolize?
7. What is James obsessed with during his deployment, and how does that fuel his future upon returning home?
8. What is significant about Daddy's position in the armchair in the photograph of him described in the novel's prologue?
9. What nightmare does Lily have after hearing about Ambrose's death?
10. What job does Materia get to help pay for Kathleen's private education?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)