|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does James sell his barrels of bootleg liquor?
(c) Cape Breton.
2. What is the gender of Kathleen's baby?
(a) She gives birth to a boy and a girl.
(b) She gives birth to a hermaphrodite.
(c) She gives birth to a girl.
(d) She gives birth to a boy.
3. Who does Mercedes think visited her in the night, pressing dark fingerprints onto her forehead?
(a) Teresa Taylor.
(b) Materia Piper.
(c) Kathleen Piper.
(d) Grandmother Mahmoud.
4. How does James feel about his first-born child?
(a) He admires her from a distance.
(b) He is obsessed with her.
(c) He is apathetic toward her and simply provides for his family.
(d) He wants nothing to do with her.
5. What classic fairy tale does the narrator reference when describing Mumma's death?
(a) The Prince and the Pauper.
(b) Hansel and Gretel.
(c) Sleeping Beauty.
(d) The Princess and the Pea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is James's reaction to burying Ambrose?
2. What thing could Kathleen do before she could talk?
3. What is the last thing Kathleen sees before she dies?
4. Why does the Frye family say their daughter can no longer play with Mercedes?
5. Why was Kathleen's labor difficult?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mercedes think was happening when she watched the incident at the creek?
2. How does Materia respond to her first pregnancy?
3. What talent does Kathleen show as a baby, and what is James's reaction to this talent?
4. Why does Materia feel guilty about her expectations for James's future in the army?
5. What is the result of Kathleen's photo shoot in the days after her first singing recital?
6. What job does Frances get after running away from home?
7. What light does Rose shed on the real father of Kathleen's babies?
8. How does Frances react to her pregnancy?
9. How does Boutros die?
10. What happens to Mercedes after her high school graduation?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)