|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters wake up the morning after Kathleen's death with blood in her slippers?
2. Which of the following figures haunt Kathleen in her nightmares?
(a) A ghost.
(b) A clown.
(c) A spider.
(d) A scarecrow.
3. Who is the narrator of the novel when the reader learns about Materia's funeral?
4. What is the first thing Frances eats when her hunger strike is over?
5. What does James hope to sell when he returns home from the war?
Short Answer Questions
1. What shocking news does the theater owner make moments after Kathleen's performance?
2. Where does James hope to send Kathleen to school when he returns home from the war?
3. After Kathleen was born, where did Materia find work as a piano player?
4. After James moved away from home, where did he settle?
5. After the incident at the river, for how long does Frances hold a hunger strike?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Materia feel guilty about her expectations for James's future in the army?
2. What wakes Mercedes up in the middle of the night on the evening before Materia's death?
3. How does James react when Kathleen sneaks up behind him and strikes a chord while his is tuning a piano?
4. What does Mercedes say one could use as rosary beads in case a proper rosary wasn't available?
5. What talent does Kathleen show as a baby, and what is James's reaction to this talent?
6. What story does Frances tell Lily about the christening gown?
7. What is James's reaction to the news that his wife Materia is dead?
8. What is the difference between Other Lily and baby Ambrose, both who died in infancy?
9. What is the reaction of Materia's parents to her marriage?
10. What is the reaction to Kathleen's talent when she arrives in New York City?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)