|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does James do when he visits Kathleen's graveside?
(a) He cries.
(b) He prays and reads the Bible.
(c) He sings songs softly.
(d) He pulls weeds.
2. What does Mrs. Luvovitz sell by the roadside?
3. What is the name of Materia's second born daughter?
4. How does James feel about his first-born child?
(a) He is apathetic toward her and simply provides for his family.
(b) He wants nothing to do with her.
(c) He admires her from a distance.
(d) He is obsessed with her.
5. What does Mercedes do in the hopes of repairing her family's name in the community?
(a) Write a formal letter of apology in the newspaper.
(b) Nothing. Mercedes doesn't care about her family's reputation.
(c) Bake cookies for the bake sale.
(d) Volunteer at the local hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ambrose buried in?
2. When Mercedes walks out into the yard after Kathleen's death, what is missing from the garden?
3. What is the name of the Piper family's cat?
4. When her father is gone, how does Kathleen treat her younger sisters?
5. When Mercedes remembers the incident at the river, what did she think Frances was bathing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reaction of Materia's parents to her marriage?
2. What story does Frances tell Lily about the christening gown?
3. How does life in the Piper household change, once James is deployed?
4. How does James react when Kathleen sneaks up behind him and strikes a chord while his is tuning a piano?
5. What job does Materia get to help pay for Kathleen's private education?
6. What talent does Kathleen show as a baby, and what is James's reaction to this talent?
7. What is James obsessed with during his deployment, and how does that fuel his future upon returning home?
8. What deal does Materia make with "the demon" to protect her second born daughter Mercedes?
9. What motivates James to join the army?
10. What film stars do the Piper girls idolize?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)