|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does James hope to send Kathleen to school when he returns home from the war?
(c) New York University.
2. Which regiment does James join when he is shipped out to war?
(a) The 69th regiment.
(b) The 94th regiment.
(c) The 86th regiment.
(d) The 77th regiment.
3. Which of the following characters wake up the morning after Kathleen's death with blood in her slippers?
4. Why was Kathleen's labor difficult?
(a) She wasn't getting enough oxygen.
(b) Her baby had the cord wrapped around its neck.
(c) She hemorrhaged during delivery.
(d) Her baby was breech.
5. Who names the new baby Ambrose?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Luvovitz sell by the roadside?
2. What is the name of Mercedes' best friend?
3. After the incident at the river, for how long does Frances hold a hunger strike?
4. Whose photograph does James want to take with him to war?
5. How does James feel about his first-born child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about Daddy's position in the armchair in the photograph of him described in the novel's prologue?
2. How does life in the Piper household change, once James is deployed?
3. Who is Jeanne?
4. How does Frances seduce Leo Taylor?
5. What is the difference between Other Lily and baby Ambrose, both who died in infancy?
6. What is James's job in battle, and how does he manage to survive?
7. What job does Frances get after running away from home?
8. How did Lily react when she met Rose for the first time?
9. How did Rose and Kathleen fall in love?
10. How does James react when Kathleen sneaks up behind him and strikes a chord while his is tuning a piano?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)