|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Materia cope with the death of her baby?
(a) She locks herself in the bedroom and prays.
(b) She begins smoking and swearing.
(c) She drinks a bottle of whiskey.
(d) She scrubs the house.
2. How does Kathleen's accompanist feel about Kathleen's voice?
(a) She thinks it is often flat.
(b) She thinks it is a lost cause.
(c) She thinks it is often sharp.
(d) She thinks it is angelic and perfect.
3. How does James react when Kathleen sneaks up behind him and strikes the keys while he is tuning the piano?
(a) He ignores her.
(b) He hugs her.
(c) He begins to sing.
(d) He beats her.
4. What does James allow his wife to do, which he had previously forbidden, thinking it will benefit their child?
(a) Play the piano.
(b) Write to her mother.
(c) Get a job.
(d) Attend church services.
5. What is the name of Mercedes' best friend?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following medals does James receive when he is discharged from duty?
2. How old was Frances at the time of her mother's death?
3. Whom does Lily confide in when her terrible nightmares about Ambrose continue?
4. When Mercedes remembers the incident at the river, what did she think Frances was bathing?
5. What is James's reaction to burying Ambrose?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the result of Kathleen's photo shoot in the days after her first singing recital?
2. What job does Materia get to help pay for Kathleen's private education?
3. What is James's reaction to the news that his wife Materia is dead?
4. How does baby Ambrose die?
5. What is James's job in battle, and how does he manage to survive?
6. Why does Materia feel guilty about her expectations for James's future in the army?
7. What wakes Mercedes up in the middle of the night on the evening before Materia's death?
8. What is James obsessed with during his deployment, and how does that fuel his future upon returning home?
9. What nightmare does Lily have after hearing about Ambrose's death?
10. What makes James a good bootlegger?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)