|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the Frye family say their daughter can no longer play with Mercedes?
(a) Because of James's behavior in town.
(b) Because they heard Materia was mentally unstable.
(c) Because the Piper family is too poor.
(d) Because of the rumors of how Kathleen died.
2. How does Kathleen react when her father is deployed overseas?
(a) She stops eating.
(b) She stops praying.
(c) She stops singing.
(d) She stops playing the piano.
3. Who is the narrator of the novel when the reader learns about Materia's funeral?
4. What is the name of the school Kathleen was enrolled in as a child?
(a) Holy Angels.
(b) Saint Mary's.
(c) Our Lady of Perpetual Sorrows.
(d) Sydney's School for Catholic Girls.
5. What does James hope to sell when he returns home from the war?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frances tell Lily they may find if they dig around in the back yard?
2. How does the crowd react to Kathleen during her first recital performance?
3. What is the first sentence of the novel, "Fall on Your Knees"?
4. How often does Kathleen write home, after moving to New York?
5. What is Ambrose buried in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is James's job in battle, and how does he manage to survive?
2. How does Mumma die?
3. Who is put in charge of raising the family when Materia dies?
4. What is James's reaction to Ambrose's death?
5. How does James adjust to life at home with Kathleen living in New York?
6. How does Kathleen react when Teresa Taylor, the Mahmoud's maid, pays the Piper family a visit?
7. What is the Mahmoud family's reaction to Kathleen's death?
8. What does Mercedes say one could use as rosary beads in case a proper rosary wasn't available?
9. How does life in the Piper household change, once James is deployed?
10. What is the response to Kathleen's first public singing recital?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)