|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is strange about James's reaction to Kathleen striking the piano keys?
(a) It frightens him.
(b) All of the answers are true.
(c) It arouses him.
(d) It confuses him.
2. How old was Materia when she first met James?
3. Who acts as the go-between for Materia and her mother during the time she and her family live in Sydney?
(a) Kathleen Piper.
(b) James Piper.
(c) Mrs. Luvovitz.
(d) Mr. Luvovitz.
4. After James moved away from home, where did he settle?
5. What color is the Piper family house?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who names the new baby Ambrose?
2. How does Kathleen's teacher in New York react to Kathleen's voice?
3. How does Materia cope with the death of her baby?
4. Which of the Piper family members create a family tree to show the generations who lived before them?
5. Which of the following characters wake up the morning after Kathleen's death with blood in her slippers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lily react when she met Rose for the first time?
2. What are Frances's last words before she dies?
3. What leads Mercedes to believe Lily is a saint?
4. What job does Materia get to help pay for Kathleen's private education?
5. What is James's reaction when he realizes that someone has moved the stones around Ambrose's grave?
6. What makes James a good bootlegger?
7. How does James react when Kathleen sneaks up behind him and strikes a chord while his is tuning a piano?
8. What light does Rose shed on the real father of Kathleen's babies?
9. What talent does Kathleen show as a baby, and what is James's reaction to this talent?
10. What is James's job in battle, and how does he manage to survive?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)