|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following Piper women waits hopefully everyday for James's death notice to arrive?
2. Who does Mercedes think visited her in the night, pressing dark fingerprints onto her forehead?
(a) Teresa Taylor.
(b) Grandmother Mahmoud.
(c) Materia Piper.
(d) Kathleen Piper.
3. What is the name of Materia's fourth daughter, who only lives a few days before her death?
4. How does James feel about his first-born child?
(a) He is apathetic toward her and simply provides for his family.
(b) He is obsessed with her.
(c) He wants nothing to do with her.
(d) He admires her from a distance.
5. What country is James stationed in during the war?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the city where the Piper family lives?
2. What does Frances show to Lily to prove that Ambrose was a real person?
3. What is strange about James's reaction to Kathleen striking the piano keys?
4. What is significant about Daddy's hair in the photograph the narrator describes in the prologue?
5. What classic fairy tale does the narrator reference when describing Mumma's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What terrible decision is Materia forced into when she helps her daughter Kathleen give birth to twins?
2. What deal does Materia make with "the demon" to protect her second born daughter Mercedes?
3. How does James react when Kathleen sneaks up behind him and strikes a chord while his is tuning a piano?
4. How does Mumma die?
5. What talent does Kathleen show as a baby, and what is James's reaction to this talent?
6. What is James's reaction when he realizes that someone has moved the stones around Ambrose's grave?
7. How does Materia respond to her first pregnancy?
8. How does Kathleen react when Teresa Taylor, the Mahmoud's maid, pays the Piper family a visit?
9. What makes James a good bootlegger?
10. What does Mercedes say one could use as rosary beads in case a proper rosary wasn't available?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)