Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Leo Taylor when he is hired by James to drive Kathleen to and from school?
2. How does James react when Kathleen sneaks up behind him and strikes the keys while he is tuning the piano?
(a) He beats her.
(b) He begins to sing.
(c) He hugs her.
(d) He ignores her.
3. What shocking news does the theater owner make moments after Kathleen's performance?
(a) That a girl has been stabbed in the dressing rom.
(b) That war has broken out.
(c) That the stock market has crashed.
(d) That the theater is on fire.
4. Who is the narrator of the novel when the reader learns about Materia's funeral?
5. What does Teresa Taylor give to Frances that infuriates Kathleen?
(a) A photograph of her mother.
(b) A beating.
(c) A black doll.
(d) A piece of candy.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mercedes isn't taking care of the house, what does she like to do in her free time?
2. Where does James sell his barrels of bootleg liquor?
3. How does Kathleen's accompanist feel about Kathleen's voice?
4. What is James's secret to staying alive on the battlefield?
5. What does the rival soldier try to steal from James when he attacks him in the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is James's reaction to Ambrose's death?
2. What is the last thing Kathleen sees before she dies?
3. How does Mumma die?
4. What story does Frances tell Lily that causes her to pass out in a cave?
5. What wakes Mercedes up in the middle of the night on the evening before Materia's death?
6. What is the response to Kathleen's first public singing recital?
7. Where does James get the money to start his new business upon returning home?
8. Who is Jeanne?
9. What job does Materia get to help pay for Kathleen's private education?
10. How does Kathleen treat her younger sisters when no one else is around?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)