|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does James feel about his first-born child?
(a) He admires her from a distance.
(b) He is obsessed with her.
(c) He wants nothing to do with her.
(d) He is apathetic toward her and simply provides for his family.
2. How often does Kathleen write home, after moving to New York?
(b) Rarely. Her chaperone writes most of the letters.
(c) Every week.
(d) Sporadically, whenever she has free time.
3. What rushes from Ambrose's mouth during Lily's nightmares?
4. What is James's reaction to burying Ambrose?
(a) He weeps loudly.
(b) He is stoic and cold.
(c) He prays to the Heavens to protect the baby's lost soul.
(d) He shouts and curses his daughters.
5. Which of the following is NOT a movie star the Piper girls idolize?
(a) Douglas Fairbanks.
(b) Bernadette Lewis.
(c) Rudolph Valentino.
(d) Lillian Gish.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religion does Materia follow?
2. How many children does Kathleen claim to want to have when she is older?
3. What does James hope to sell when he returns home from the war?
4. Who is the narrator of the novel when the reader learns about Materia's funeral?
5. What is the name of James's cousin, he sends Kathleen to live with in New York?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about Daddy's position in the armchair in the photograph of him described in the novel's prologue?
2. How does James react when Kathleen sneaks up behind him and strikes a chord while his is tuning a piano?
3. What is the Mahmoud family's reaction to Kathleen's death?
4. What makes James a good bootlegger?
5. What story does Frances tell Lily about the christening gown?
6. What does James do for a living?
7. What is the difference between Other Lily and baby Ambrose, both who died in infancy?
8. What is James's reaction to the news that his wife Materia is dead?
9. What film stars do the Piper girls idolize?
10. What does Mercedes say one could use as rosary beads in case a proper rosary wasn't available?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)