|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does James put in charge of raising the new baby after Materia's death?
(a) Mrs. Luvovitz.
(b) Teresa Taylor.
2. Where does James hope to send Kathleen to school when he returns home from the war?
(b) New York University.
3. What was the name of Materia's younger sister?
4. Who takes the blame for moving the rocks around Ambrose's grave?
(b) All of the Piper girls take the blame.
5. What is the name of the street the Piper family lives on?
(a) Fire Street.
(b) Wind Street.
(c) Water Street.
(d) Earth Street.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frances show to Lily to prove that Ambrose was a real person?
2. Which of the following is NOT an object Frances proposed using as rosary beads when a proper rosary wasn't present?
3. What does Teresa Taylor give to Frances that infuriates Kathleen?
4. What does everyone in town believe Kathleen died from?
5. Which North American city is Materia desperate to move to after her marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kathleen treat her younger sisters when no one else is around?
2. What motivates James to join the army?
3. What is the reaction of Materia's parents to her marriage?
4. How does Mumma die?
5. How does life in the Piper household change, once James is deployed?
6. What is James's reaction when he realizes that someone has moved the stones around Ambrose's grave?
7. What nightmare does Lily have after hearing about Ambrose's death?
8. What story does Frances tell Lily about the christening gown?
9. What is significant about Daddy's position in the armchair in the photograph of him described in the novel's prologue?
10. What is James obsessed with during his deployment, and how does that fuel his future upon returning home?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)