|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What disease is Kathleen's baby born with, causing the house to be put in quarantine?
(b) Scarlet Fever.
2. What rushes from Ambrose's mouth during Lily's nightmares?
3. What classic fairy tale does the narrator reference when describing Mumma's death?
(a) Sleeping Beauty.
(b) The Princess and the Pea.
(c) The Prince and the Pauper.
(d) Hansel and Gretel.
4. How old is Kathleen during her first singing recital?
(a) 10 years old.
(b) 14 years old.
(c) 12 years old.
(d) 16 years old.
5. What is James's reaction to burying Ambrose?
(a) He prays to the Heavens to protect the baby's lost soul.
(b) He weeps loudly.
(c) He is stoic and cold.
(d) He shouts and curses his daughters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Kathleen's accompanist in New York?
2. What does James do when he visits Kathleen's graveside?
3. What is the name of Materia's firstborn daughter?
4. In what year is Materia's first child born?
5. What country is James stationed in during the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between Other Lily and baby Ambrose, both who died in infancy?
2. What is the reaction to Kathleen's talent when she arrives in New York City?
3. What is the reaction of Materia's parents to her marriage?
4. How does life in the Piper household change, once James is deployed?
5. What is the Mahmoud family's reaction to Kathleen's death?
6. What job does Materia get to help pay for Kathleen's private education?
7. What deal does Materia make with "the demon" to protect her second born daughter Mercedes?
8. What motivates James to join the army?
9. How does baby Ambrose die?
10. Where does James get the money to start his new business upon returning home?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)