|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When her father is gone, how does Kathleen treat her younger sisters?
(a) She beats them when no one is looking.
(b) She ignores them as usual.
(c) She is plesant to the girls, but takes no special interest in them.
(d) She plays and reads books with them.
2. After Kathleen was born, where did Materia find work as a piano player?
(a) At a nearby French restaurant.
(b) At the Empire Theatre.
(c) At the elementary school.
(d) At the Baptist church.
3. How old was Frances at the time of her mother's death?
(a) Eight years old.
(b) Six years old.
(c) Ten years old.
(d) Four years old.
4. In what year is Materia's first child born?
5. What is the name of the school Kathleen was enrolled in as a child?
(a) Our Lady of Perpetual Sorrows.
(b) Holy Angels.
(c) Saint Mary's.
(d) Sydney's School for Catholic Girls.
Short Answer Questions
1. On which holiday did James and Materia agree to meet in secret?
2. What is strange about James's reaction to Kathleen striking the piano keys?
3. Why did Frances bring the new baby down to the river where he died?
4. Why does Mercedes feel guilty about Frances's lot in life?
5. Which of the following Piper girls insists that something is wrong with Kathleen's baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between Other Lily and baby Ambrose, both who died in infancy?
2. What job does Materia get to help pay for Kathleen's private education?
3. What talent does Kathleen show as a baby, and what is James's reaction to this talent?
4. How does James react when Kathleen sneaks up behind him and strikes a chord while his is tuning a piano?
5. What terrible decision is Materia forced into when she helps her daughter Kathleen give birth to twins?
6. What film stars do the Piper girls idolize?
7. What is the Mahmoud family's reaction to Kathleen's death?
8. What nightmare does Lily have after hearing about Ambrose's death?
9. What motivates James to join the army?
10. What is James's job in battle, and how does he manage to survive?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)