|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of Materia's younger sister?
2. What is the first sentence of the novel, "Fall on Your Knees"?
(a) "Everybody's in Heaven, leaving me in Hell."
(b) "They're all dead now."
(c) "They're all gone now."
(d) "Nobody knows where they went."
3. Which of Kathleen's family members unexpectedly shows up for her first recital performance?
(a) Her aunt.
(b) Her uncle.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her grandfather.
4. What is Ambrose buried in?
(a) James's work shirt.
(b) Materia's wedding dress.
(c) His christening gown.
(d) Frances's nightgown.
5. Why does Mercedes feel guilty about Frances's lot in life?
(a) Because Frances is regularly beaten by their father.
(b) Because Frances is expected to raise Lily.
(c) Because Frances has no friends.
(d) Because Frances was closest to their mother before her death.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mercedes remembers the incident at the river, what did she think Frances was bathing?
2. Who names the new baby Ambrose?
3. How does Materia react when she learns James will soon be returning home from the war?
4. What is the name of Materia's fourth daughter, who only lives a few days before her death?
5. What country is James stationed in during the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mumma die?
2. What did Mercedes think was happening when she watched the incident at the creek?
3. How does Materia respond to her first pregnancy?
4. How does James adjust to life at home with Kathleen living in New York?
5. What is the reaction of Materia's parents to her marriage?
6. What nightmare does Lily have after hearing about Ambrose's death?
7. Who is put in charge of raising the family when Materia dies?
8. What motivates James to join the army?
9. Where does James get the money to start his new business upon returning home?
10. How does life in the Piper household change, once James is deployed?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)