|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Frances's baby when he dies?
(a) One year.
(b) One day.
(c) One week.
(d) One month.
2. How much money does Frances want to save up as a gift to Lily?
3. Which of her father's clothing items did Rose frequently wear to feel close to him?
(a) His baseball glove.
(b) His college sweatshirt.
(c) His necktie.
(d) His hat.
4. What does Lily demand when business picks up at the speakeasy?
(a) A higher raise.
(b) A new piano.
(c) All of the answers are true.
(d) Half of the door-fees.
5. Which of Frances's relatives has a crush on her and hopes to marry her someday?
(a) Her nephew.
(b) Her grandfather.
(c) Her cousin.
(d) Her uncle.
6. In the first few weeks of working for her Uncle Jameel, what is Frances NOT expected to do?
(a) Sleep with the customers.
(b) Sing for the customers.
(c) Strip for the customers.
(d) Serve drinks to the customers.
7. What does Frances steal from the Mahmoud household when she breaks in?
8. Who kisses Mercedes on the lips after her graduation?
(a) Mr. Mahmoud.
(b) Pete the Scarecrow.
(c) Ralph Luvovitz.
(d) James Piper.
9. Why won't James let Frances drop out of school like she wants?
(a) All of these answers are true.
(b) Because he doesn't want Frances at home during the days.
(c) Because the principal believes Frances is a gifted student.
(d) Because he is afraid he will look like a failure.
10. What happens moments before Lily passes out in the cave?
(a) She begins convulsing.
(b) She cries out to the Heavens.
(c) She wets her pants.
(d) She speaks in tongues.
11. What year does Mercedes graduate from high school?
12. How long does it take Lily to reach New York from New Waterford?
(a) 6 days.
(b) 28 days.
(c) 19 days.
(d) 37 days.
13. Which of the following items is NOT something Lily takes with her from the hope chest when she runs away from home?
(a) Her mother's green dress.
(b) All of Lily's money.
(c) Her father's pocketwatch.
(d) Her mother's diary.
14. Who does Frances suspect is the father of Kathleen's children?
(a) Leo Taylor.
(b) Mr. Mahmoud.
(c) James Piper.
(d) Benny Luvovitz.
15. What does Lily believe impregnated Frances?
(a) The ocean.
(b) The bull.
(c) The angels.
(d) The bullet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frances plan to do with her earnings from working for her Uncle Jameel?
2. What type of music did Kathleen and Rose listen to?
3. How does Mercedes react when she learns her father is ill?
4. Where does Mercedes pray?
5. What did Mercedes rename Frances's son?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)