|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Frances's son when he met Mercedes for the first time?
(a) Ten years old.
(b) Twelve years old.
(c) Eight years old.
(d) Six years old.
2. Where does Mercedes pray?
(a) In the attic.
(b) In her bedroom.
(c) In the coal cellar.
(d) In the bathroom.
3. Who is the true father of Kathleen's children?
(a) Benny Luvovitz.
(b) Doc Rose.
(c) Leo Taylor.
(d) James Piper.
4. Who does Frances claim is the devil?
5. How old is Frances's baby when he dies?
(a) One month.
(b) One day.
(c) One week.
(d) One year.
6. Who tells Lily the truth that Kathleen is her mother?
(d) Lily discovers the truth on her own.
7. Who shoots Frances?
8. How much money does Frances want to save up as a gift to Lily?
9. Who does Mercedes believe is the cause of the family's pain and suffering?
10. How does Frances's baby die?
(a) He suffers from infant polio.
(b) He drowns in the creek.
(c) He is poisoned.
(d) He dies in his sleep.
11. Which flag does Lily carry when she marches in the Armistice Day Parade?
(a) The Nova Scotian Flag.
(b) The American Flag.
(c) The Canadian Flag.
(d) The French Flag.
12. Where is Lily supposed to be on the day Frances drags her into the cave?
(c) Girl Scouts.
(d) The doctor's office.
13. Which New York borough most captured Kathleen's imagination?
14. What type of business does Uncle Jameel own?
(a) A speakeasy.
(b) A race track.
(c) A gambling parlor.
(d) A strip club.
15. Why won't James let Frances drop out of school like she wants?
(a) Because he doesn't want Frances at home during the days.
(b) Because the principal believes Frances is a gifted student.
(c) Because he is afraid he will look like a failure.
(d) All of these answers are true.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following medical ailments does James suffer from, after he learns of Frances's pregnancy?
2. Which of Frances's relatives has a crush on her and hopes to marry her someday?
3. What did Mercedes rename Frances's son?
4. Why does Mercedes turn down her university scholarship?
5. What is the name of the school Frances attends?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)