|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does pregnancy affect Frances's character?
(a) She becomes overly excited and emotional.
(b) She becomes peaceful and happy.
(c) She becomes irritable and annoyed.
(d) She becomes sullen and depressed.
2. What does Frances attempt to purchase from Leo Taylor while wearing her Girl Scout uniform?
3. Who does Mr. Mahmoud blame for the stolen items in his house?
(a) Frances Piper.
(b) He does not notice anything is missing.
(c) Teresa Taylor.
(d) Mrs. Mahmoud.
4. Where does Mercedes pray?
(a) In her bedroom.
(b) In the bathroom.
(c) In the coal cellar.
(d) In the attic.
5. What does Frances steal from the Mahmoud household when she breaks in?
6. Who does Frances claim is the devil?
7. How does Frances's baby die?
(a) He is poisoned.
(b) He dies in his sleep.
(c) He suffers from infant polio.
(d) He drowns in the creek.
8. What year does Mercedes graduate from high school?
9. Which part of Lily's afflicted body does Mercedes hope will be healed in Lourdes?
(a) Her eyes.
(b) Her spine.
(c) Her leg.
(d) Her arm.
10. Where does Mercedes arrange for Frances to give birth to her baby?
11. What does Frances plan to do with her earnings from working for her Uncle Jameel?
(a) Buy herself a new car.
(b) Run away to New York.
(c) Give them to Lily.
(d) She has no plans for the money.
12. Which of her father's clothing items did Rose frequently wear to feel close to him?
(a) His necktie.
(b) His baseball glove.
(c) His hat.
(d) His college sweatshirt.
13. Why doesn't James want to remember Armistice Day?
(a) Because it is the day he went searching for Kathleen.
(b) Because it reminds him of the horrors of war.
(c) Because it is the day he sent Kathleen off to live in New York.
(d) Because it is the day his wife died.
14. Who does Mercedes believe is the cause of the family's pain and suffering?
15. Where does Mercedes place a photograph of Kathleen, much to James's anger?
(a) Above the crucifix.
(b) In the family photo album.
(c) On top of the piano.
(d) In her locket.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take Lily to reach New York from New Waterford?
2. Why won't James let Frances drop out of school like she wants?
3. How far along is Frances when her pregnancy begins to show?
4. Why didn't Mercedes want Frances to raise her own son?
5. Who is the true father of Kathleen's children?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)