|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Mercedes pray?
(a) In her bedroom.
(b) In the attic.
(c) In the bathroom.
(d) In the coal cellar.
2. What is the name of Jameel's only son?
3. Who does Frances claim is Lily's real father?
(b) She claims no one knows who Lily's father is.
(c) A black neighbor.
(d) The milkman.
4. What does Lily demand when business picks up at the speakeasy?
(a) All of the answers are true.
(b) Half of the door-fees.
(c) A higher raise.
(d) A new piano.
5. What persona does Frances take on while working for her Uncle Jameel?
(a) Valerie Perrine.
(b) Joan Brown.
(c) Louise Brooks.
(d) Maria Ford.
6. In the first few weeks of working for her Uncle Jameel, what is Frances NOT expected to do?
(a) Strip for the customers.
(b) Serve drinks to the customers.
(c) Sleep with the customers.
(d) Sing for the customers.
7. What does Frances name her son?
8. How old is Frances's baby when he dies?
(a) One year.
(b) One month.
(c) One week.
(d) One day.
9. Why didn't Mercedes want Frances to raise her own son?
(a) Because she didn't want Frances raising a mixed race child.
(b) Because she didn't think Frances was mature enough.
(c) Because she was jealous of Frances's ability to be a mother.
(d) Because she didn't think Frances was capable of love.
10. Who does Frances claim lives in the cave?
11. Where does Mercedes arrange for Frances to give birth to her baby?
12. How does Lily react when she meets Rose for the first time?
(a) She slaps Rose across the face.
(b) She doesn't know what do with herself.
(c) She is disgusted.
(d) She bursts out into tears.
13. Who does Frances suspect is the father of Kathleen's children?
(a) James Piper.
(b) Leo Taylor.
(c) Benny Luvovitz.
(d) Mr. Mahmoud.
14. Why is Frances expelled from school?
(a) For vandalizing school property.
(b) For missing too many days of school.
(c) For cheating on an exam.
(d) For assaulting a fellow school mate.
15. How does Frances's baby die?
(a) He suffers from infant polio.
(b) He dies in his sleep.
(c) He drowns in the creek.
(d) He is poisoned.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Frances claim is the devil?
2. How long does it take Lily to reach New York from New Waterford?
3. How does pregnancy affect Frances's character?
4. What is Leo Taylor's nickname?
5. How old was Frances's son when he met Mercedes for the first time?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)