|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the crowd react to Kathleen during her first recital performance?
(a) They jeer and boo her.
(b) They give her a standing ovation.
(c) They sit in silence.
(d) The applaud politely.
2. Where does James sell his barrels of bootleg liquor?
(c) Cape Breton.
3. What does James hope to sell when he returns home from the war?
4. Who acts as the go-between for Materia and her mother during the time she and her family live in Sydney?
(a) Mr. Luvovitz.
(b) James Piper.
(c) Mrs. Luvovitz.
(d) Kathleen Piper.
5. What does Teresa Taylor give to Frances that infuriates Kathleen?
(a) A black doll.
(b) A beating.
(c) A photograph of her mother.
(d) A piece of candy.
6. Whose photograph does James want to take with him to war?
7. Where does James hope to send Kathleen to school when he returns home from the war?
(d) New York University.
8. Why doesn't Kathleen mind that she has no friends in school?
(a) Because her family has forbidden her to have friends.
(b) Because she thinks she has a great future ahead of her.
(c) Because she doesn't like any of them.
(d) Because she thinks she is better than all of them.
9. What does the rival soldier try to steal from James when he attacks him in the night?
(a) His gun.
(b) His helmet.
(c) His boots.
(d) His backpack.
10. Which family member found Materia after her apparent suicide?
11. What war does James fight in before returning home?
(a) World War I.
(b) The Civil War.
(c) World War II.
(d) The Vietnam War.
12. Who names the new baby Ambrose?
13. How does Materia react when she learns James will soon be returning home from the war?
(a) She is excited.
(b) She is anxious.
(c) She is angry.
(d) She is apathetic.
14. What type of man does Kathleen want to marry when she grows up?
(a) A talented musician she can perform with.
(b) A rich man to fund her singing career.
(c) Kathleen does not want to get married.
(d) A strong man with good values.
15. What is the name of Materia's fourth daughter, who only lives a few days before her death?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children does Kathleen claim to want to have when she is older?
2. What is the name of the school Kathleen was enrolled in as a child?
3. In what room of the house did Mumma die?
4. When Mercedes isn't taking care of the house, what does she like to do in her free time?
5. What rushes from Ambrose's mouth during Lily's nightmares?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)