|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT an object Frances proposed using as rosary beads when a proper rosary wasn't present?
(b) Clouds in the sky.
(c) Dots on a newspaper.
(d) Mouse turds.
2. What does James allow his wife to do, which he had previously forbidden, thinking it will benefit their child?
(a) Attend church services.
(b) Play the piano.
(c) Write to her mother.
(d) Get a job.
3. What type of town is the town where the Piper family lives?
(a) A shopping town.
(b) A mining town.
(c) A historic town.
(d) A ghost town.
4. What is the name of the Piper family's cat?
5. What is the last thing Kathleen sees before she dies?
(a) A scarecrow.
(b) A ghost.
(c) A bright light.
(d) A bat.
6. What does Teresa Taylor give to Frances that infuriates Kathleen?
(a) A photograph of her mother.
(b) A black doll.
(c) A beating.
(d) A piece of candy.
7. Why did Frances bring the new baby down to the river where he died?
(a) To baptize him.
(b) To give him a drink.
(c) To bathe him.
(d) To teach him how to swim.
8. What color is the Piper family house?
9. Which of the following Piper women waits hopefully everyday for James's death notice to arrive?
10. What does Mrs. Luvovitz sell by the roadside?
11. Which of Kathleen's family members unexpectedly shows up for her first recital performance?
(a) Her grandfather.
(b) Her grandmother.
(c) Her aunt.
(d) Her uncle.
12. What is the name of James's cousin, he sends Kathleen to live with in New York?
13. How many children does Kathleen claim to want to have when she is older?
(a) At least three.
14. Why does Mercedes feel guilty about Frances's lot in life?
(a) Because Frances was closest to their mother before her death.
(b) Because Frances has no friends.
(c) Because Frances is regularly beaten by their father.
(d) Because Frances is expected to raise Lily.
15. During what hours of the day does James work as a bootlegger?
(a) In the middle of the night.
(b) In the early evening.
(c) In the afternoon.
(d) In the early morning.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long after receiving the mysterious note, does James arrive in Grand Central Station to bring Kathleen home?
2. Where does James sell his barrels of bootleg liquor?
3. How old is Leo Taylor when he is hired by James to drive Kathleen to and from school?
4. How old was Frances at the time of her mother's death?
5. What classic fairy tale does the narrator reference when describing Mumma's death?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)