|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the last thing Kathleen sees before she dies?
(a) A bat.
(b) A bright light.
(c) A ghost.
(d) A scarecrow.
2. What thing could Kathleen do before she could talk?
3. In what year is Materia's first child born?
4. After the incident at the river, for how long does Frances hold a hunger strike?
(a) Five days.
(b) Two days.
(c) Four days.
(d) Three days.
5. What does James do when he visits Kathleen's graveside?
(a) He pulls weeds.
(b) He sings songs softly.
(c) He cries.
(d) He prays and reads the Bible.
6. When Mercedes walks out into the yard after Kathleen's death, what is missing from the garden?
(a) All the flowers.
(b) The family tree.
(c) The scarecrow.
(d) The headstone.
7. What does Teresa Taylor give to Frances that infuriates Kathleen?
(a) A black doll.
(b) A photograph of her mother.
(c) A piece of candy.
(d) A beating.
8. What is the name of the city where the Piper family lives?
(a) New Waterford.
(b) Alabaster Cove.
(d) West Minster.
9. What does Mercedes do in the hopes of repairing her family's name in the community?
(a) Bake cookies for the bake sale.
(b) Nothing. Mercedes doesn't care about her family's reputation.
(c) Write a formal letter of apology in the newspaper.
(d) Volunteer at the local hospital.
10. How does Materia react when she learns James will soon be returning home from the war?
(a) She is apathetic.
(b) She is anxious.
(c) She is angry.
(d) She is excited.
11. During the time of James's bootlegging career, how long had the coal miners been on strike?
(a) Four years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Six years.
12. What was the name of Materia's younger sister?
13. Who teaches Frances how to read?
14. How many children does Kathleen claim to want to have when she is older?
(c) At least three.
15. Which of the following is NOT a movie star the Piper girls idolize?
(a) Bernadette Lewis.
(b) Lillian Gish.
(c) Douglas Fairbanks.
(d) Rudolph Valentino.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what room of the house did Mumma die?
2. What shocking news does the theater owner make moments after Kathleen's performance?
3. What color is the Piper family house?
4. What is the name of Kathleen's accompanist in New York?
5. Which of Kathleen's family members unexpectedly shows up for her first recital performance?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)