|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT an object Frances proposed using as rosary beads when a proper rosary wasn't present?
(a) Mouse turds.
(b) Clouds in the sky.
(c) Dots on a newspaper.
2. How old was Frances at the time of her mother's death?
(a) Eight years old.
(b) Ten years old.
(c) Four years old.
(d) Six years old.
3. What is the name of the Piper family's cat?
4. How does James react when Kathleen sneaks up behind him and strikes the keys while he is tuning the piano?
(a) He hugs her.
(b) He ignores her.
(c) He beats her.
(d) He begins to sing.
5. How old is Leo Taylor when he is hired by James to drive Kathleen to and from school?
6. How does Kathleen react when her father is deployed overseas?
(a) She stops playing the piano.
(b) She stops singing.
(c) She stops praying.
(d) She stops eating.
7. How does Kathleen's accompanist feel about Kathleen's voice?
(a) She thinks it is angelic and perfect.
(b) She thinks it is often sharp.
(c) She thinks it is often flat.
(d) She thinks it is a lost cause.
8. During what hours of the day does James work as a bootlegger?
(a) In the afternoon.
(b) In the early morning.
(c) In the middle of the night.
(d) In the early evening.
9. How long after receiving the mysterious note, does James arrive in Grand Central Station to bring Kathleen home?
(a) Three days.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Three hours.
(d) Three months.
10. In what year is Materia's first child born?
11. Whom does Lily confide in when her terrible nightmares about Ambrose continue?
(b) Lily does not tell anyone about the dreams.
12. How did Materia kill Kathleen?
(a) She stabbed her.
(b) She suffocated her.
(c) She shot her.
(d) She poisoned her.
13. What is the first sentence of the novel, "Fall on Your Knees"?
(a) "They're all gone now."
(b) "They're all dead now."
(c) "Nobody knows where they went."
(d) "Everybody's in Heaven, leaving me in Hell."
14. What type of man does Kathleen want to marry when she grows up?
(a) A strong man with good values.
(b) A rich man to fund her singing career.
(c) Kathleen does not want to get married.
(d) A talented musician she can perform with.
15. What did James's father do for a living?
(a) He was a shoemaker.
(b) He was a philosophy teacher.
(c) He was a piano tuner.
(d) He was a garbage collector.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which family member found Materia after her apparent suicide?
2. Why was Kathleen's labor difficult?
3. After Kathleen was born, where did Materia find work as a piano player?
4. What color is the Piper family house?
5. How old was Materia when she first met James?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)