|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Frances at the time of her mother's death?
(a) Ten years old.
(b) Eight years old.
(c) Six years old.
(d) Four years old.
2. What disease is Kathleen's baby born with, causing the house to be put in quarantine?
(d) Scarlet Fever.
3. What does Frances show to Lily to prove that Ambrose was a real person?
(a) His christening gown.
(b) His birth certificate.
(c) His headstone.
(d) A photo of his corpse.
4. How does Kathleen's teacher in New York react to Kathleen's voice?
(a) She thinks she is the next super talent.
(b) She thinks Kathleen is a lost cause.
(c) She thinks she is talented but needs a lot of work.
(d) She doesn't have an opinion about Kathleen's voice and only wants her money.
5. What war does James fight in before returning home?
(a) The Vietnam War.
(b) World War I.
(c) World War II.
(d) The Civil War.
6. Which of Kathleen's family members is the strongest supporter of her musical talent?
(a) Her aunt.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her mother.
7. What did James's father do for a living?
(a) He was a piano tuner.
(b) He was a shoemaker.
(c) He was a philosophy teacher.
(d) He was a garbage collector.
8. How old was Materia when she first met James?
9. Who teaches Frances how to read?
10. What is significant about Daddy's hair in the photograph the narrator describes in the prologue?
(a) It is braided.
(b) It is bleached blonde.
(c) It is shaved.
(d) It has grown in patchy in parts and bald in others.
11. What shocking news does the theater owner make moments after Kathleen's performance?
(a) That the stock market has crashed.
(b) That a girl has been stabbed in the dressing rom.
(c) That war has broken out.
(d) That the theater is on fire.
12. How old was Other Lily when she died?
(a) One month.
(b) One week.
(c) One year.
(d) One day.
13. How does Kathleen feel about New York when she finally moves there?
(a) She is apathetic to the city, focused only on her career.
(b) She falls in love with the city.
(c) She is terrified by the city and wants to return home.
(d) She is confused by the big city.
14. Which of the following is NOT a movie star the Piper girls idolize?
(a) Bernadette Lewis.
(b) Lillian Gish.
(c) Douglas Fairbanks.
(d) Rudolph Valentino.
15. Why was Kathleen's labor difficult?
(a) She hemorrhaged during delivery.
(b) She wasn't getting enough oxygen.
(c) Her baby had the cord wrapped around its neck.
(d) Her baby was breech.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Materia's reaction to Kathleen's death?
2. What did Materia's mother read to tell James's fortune?
3. What does Teresa Taylor give to Frances that infuriates Kathleen?
4. What does James allow his wife to do, which he had previously forbidden, thinking it will benefit their child?
5. Who does James borrow money from to jump start his new business?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)