|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which regiment does James join when he is shipped out to war?
(a) The 94th regiment.
(b) The 86th regiment.
(c) The 69th regiment.
(d) The 77th regiment.
2. What is the name of Materia's fourth daughter, who only lives a few days before her death?
3. What is the name of Materia's second born daughter?
4. Which of the following figures haunt Kathleen in her nightmares?
(a) A ghost.
(b) A spider.
(c) A clown.
(d) A scarecrow.
5. What is significant about Daddy's hair in the photograph the narrator describes in the prologue?
(a) It has grown in patchy in parts and bald in others.
(b) It is braided.
(c) It is shaved.
(d) It is bleached blonde.
6. What shocking news does the theater owner make moments after Kathleen's performance?
(a) That a girl has been stabbed in the dressing rom.
(b) That the theater is on fire.
(c) That the stock market has crashed.
(d) That war has broken out.
7. What was Materia's reaction to Kathleen's death?
(a) She was relieved.
(b) She was frightened and confused.
(c) She was overwhelmed with guilt.
(d) All of the answers are true.
8. What is the name of the Piper family's cat?
9. On which holiday did James and Materia agree to meet in secret?
(a) Valentine's Day.
(b) New Year's Eve.
10. How does Kathleen's teacher in New York react to Kathleen's voice?
(a) She thinks Kathleen is a lost cause.
(b) She thinks she is the next super talent.
(c) She doesn't have an opinion about Kathleen's voice and only wants her money.
(d) She thinks she is talented but needs a lot of work.
11. Where does James lock up Materia, after discovering Kathleen's dead body?
(a) In the stove room.
(b) In the car garage.
(c) In the coal cellar.
(d) In the attic.
12. When Mercedes isn't taking care of the house, what does she like to do in her free time?
(a) Mercedes never has free time.
(b) Swim in the creek.
(c) Ride her bicycle.
13. What does James hope to sell when he returns home from the war?
14. What is the name of Kathleen's accompanist in New York?
15. During what hours of the day does James work as a bootlegger?
(a) In the early evening.
(b) In the early morning.
(c) In the afternoon.
(d) In the middle of the night.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Teresa Taylor give to Frances that infuriates Kathleen?
2. How long after receiving the mysterious note, does James arrive in Grand Central Station to bring Kathleen home?
3. Who acts as the go-between for Materia and her mother during the time she and her family live in Sydney?
4. What disease is Kathleen's baby born with, causing the house to be put in quarantine?
5. When Mercedes remembers the incident at the river, what did she think Frances was bathing?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)