|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does James allow his wife to do, which he had previously forbidden, thinking it will benefit their child?
(a) Attend church services.
(b) Get a job.
(c) Play the piano.
(d) Write to her mother.
2. What type of town is the town where the Piper family lives?
(a) A ghost town.
(b) A mining town.
(c) A shopping town.
(d) A historic town.
3. What is the name of Kathleen's accompanist in New York?
4. What does Mercedes do in the hopes of repairing her family's name in the community?
(a) Volunteer at the local hospital.
(b) Bake cookies for the bake sale.
(c) Write a formal letter of apology in the newspaper.
(d) Nothing. Mercedes doesn't care about her family's reputation.
5. When Mercedes remembers the incident at the river, what did she think Frances was bathing?
(d) Baby goats.
6. In what room of the house did Mumma die?
(a) In the kitchen.
(b) In the bathroom.
(c) In the bedroom.
(d) In the living room.
7. Who does Mercedes think visited her in the night, pressing dark fingerprints onto her forehead?
(a) Grandmother Mahmoud.
(b) Materia Piper.
(c) Kathleen Piper.
(d) Teresa Taylor.
8. After Kathleen was born, where did Materia find work as a piano player?
(a) At a nearby French restaurant.
(b) At the elementary school.
(c) At the Baptist church.
(d) At the Empire Theatre.
9. What is the name of the school Kathleen was enrolled in as a child?
(a) Saint Mary's.
(b) Sydney's School for Catholic Girls.
(c) Holy Angels.
(d) Our Lady of Perpetual Sorrows.
10. Which family member found Materia after her apparent suicide?
11. What did James's father do for a living?
(a) He was a shoemaker.
(b) He was a piano tuner.
(c) He was a garbage collector.
(d) He was a philosophy teacher.
12. How does James react when Kathleen sneaks up behind him and strikes the keys while he is tuning the piano?
(a) He begins to sing.
(b) He ignores her.
(c) He beats her.
(d) He hugs her.
13. What is the last thing Kathleen sees before she dies?
(a) A bat.
(b) A scarecrow.
(c) A bright light.
(d) A ghost.
14. What is the first sentence of the novel, "Fall on Your Knees"?
(a) "They're all dead now."
(b) "Nobody knows where they went."
(c) "They're all gone now."
(d) "Everybody's in Heaven, leaving me in Hell."
15. Whom does Lily confide in when her terrible nightmares about Ambrose continue?
(b) Lily does not tell anyone about the dreams.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Materia's reaction to Kathleen's death?
2. What is the name of the street the Piper family lives on?
3. What does everyone in town believe Kathleen died from?
4. How does Kathleen's accompanist feel about Kathleen's voice?
5. What classic fairy tale does the narrator reference when describing Mumma's death?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)