|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does James put in charge of raising the new baby after Materia's death?
(b) Teresa Taylor.
(c) Mrs. Luvovitz.
2. When Mercedes remembers the incident at the river, what did she think Frances was bathing?
(a) Baby goats.
3. Why doesn't Kathleen mind that she has no friends in school?
(a) Because her family has forbidden her to have friends.
(b) Because she thinks she has a great future ahead of her.
(c) Because she doesn't like any of them.
(d) Because she thinks she is better than all of them.
4. Which of the following Piper girls insists that something is wrong with Kathleen's baby?
5. Which of the following did Mumma die from?
(a) A stroke.
(c) A gunshot wound.
6. Why does Mercedes feel guilty about Frances's lot in life?
(a) Because Frances is expected to raise Lily.
(b) Because Frances was closest to their mother before her death.
(c) Because Frances has no friends.
(d) Because Frances is regularly beaten by their father.
7. How does Kathleen's accompanist feel about Kathleen's voice?
(a) She thinks it is often sharp.
(b) She thinks it is a lost cause.
(c) She thinks it is angelic and perfect.
(d) She thinks it is often flat.
8. Who does James borrow money from to jump start his new business?
(a) Teresa Taylor.
(b) Leo Taylor.
(c) Mr. Mahmoud.
(d) Benny Luvovitz.
9. How does Kathleen feel about New York when she finally moves there?
(a) She falls in love with the city.
(b) She is apathetic to the city, focused only on her career.
(c) She is confused by the big city.
(d) She is terrified by the city and wants to return home.
10. What was the name of Materia's younger sister?
11. Who found the dead baby and tried to resuscitate him?
12. In what room of the house did Mumma die?
(a) In the bathroom.
(b) In the bedroom.
(c) In the living room.
(d) In the kitchen.
13. What is James's secret to staying alive on the battlefield?
(a) His apathy about life and death.
(b) His desperate desire to return home to family.
(c) His prayers every morning and night.
(d) His strong belief in fate.
14. What does James do when he visits Kathleen's graveside?
(a) He prays and reads the Bible.
(b) He cries.
(c) He pulls weeds.
(d) He sings songs softly.
15. Which of the following figures haunt Kathleen in her nightmares?
(a) A spider.
(b) A scarecrow.
(c) A ghost.
(d) A clown.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children does Kathleen claim to want to have when she is older?
2. How does Kathleen's teacher in New York react to Kathleen's voice?
3. What thing could Kathleen do before she could talk?
4. How does the crowd react to Kathleen during her first recital performance?
5. What disease is Kathleen's baby born with, causing the house to be put in quarantine?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)