|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is strange about James's reaction to Kathleen striking the piano keys?
(a) All of the answers are true.
(b) It confuses him.
(c) It arouses him.
(d) It frightens him.
2. What does everyone in town believe Kathleen died from?
(a) The black plague.
(b) The flu.
(c) Scarlet fever.
(d) Chicken pox.
3. How many children does Kathleen claim to want to have when she is older?
(d) At least three.
4. What is the name of Materia's fourth daughter, who only lives a few days before her death?
5. How old is Kathleen during her first singing recital?
(a) 12 years old.
(b) 10 years old.
(c) 14 years old.
(d) 16 years old.
6. Why does Mercedes feel guilty about Frances's lot in life?
(a) Because Frances is regularly beaten by their father.
(b) Because Frances was closest to their mother before her death.
(c) Because Frances is expected to raise Lily.
(d) Because Frances has no friends.
7. Which of the Piper family members create a family tree to show the generations who lived before them?
8. What is Ambrose buried in?
(a) James's work shirt.
(b) Frances's nightgown.
(c) Materia's wedding dress.
(d) His christening gown.
9. Which family member found Materia after her apparent suicide?
10. What is the name of Mercedes' best friend?
11. Who found the dead baby and tried to resuscitate him?
12. Which North American city is Materia desperate to move to after her marriage?
(c) San Francisco.
(d) New York.
13. What is the first thing Frances eats when her hunger strike is over?
14. How does Materia cope with the death of her baby?
(a) She drinks a bottle of whiskey.
(b) She locks herself in the bedroom and prays.
(c) She begins smoking and swearing.
(d) She scrubs the house.
15. What classic fairy tale does the narrator reference when describing Mumma's death?
(a) The Princess and the Pea.
(b) The Prince and the Pauper.
(c) Sleeping Beauty.
(d) Hansel and Gretel.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Materia kill Kathleen?
2. What is James's secret to staying alive on the battlefield?
3. During the time of James's bootlegging career, how long had the coal miners been on strike?
4. What thing could Kathleen do before she could talk?
5. Who does James put in charge of raising the new baby after Materia's death?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)