|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following Piper women waits hopefully everyday for James's death notice to arrive?
2. Who names the new baby Ambrose?
3. Who is the narrator of the novel when the reader learns about Materia's funeral?
4. What war does James fight in before returning home?
(a) World War I.
(b) The Civil War.
(c) World War II.
(d) The Vietnam War.
5. How long after receiving the mysterious note, does James arrive in Grand Central Station to bring Kathleen home?
(a) Three months.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Three hours.
(d) Three days.
6. What does James allow his wife to do, which he had previously forbidden, thinking it will benefit their child?
(a) Play the piano.
(b) Write to her mother.
(c) Get a job.
(d) Attend church services.
7. Why does the Frye family say their daughter can no longer play with Mercedes?
(a) Because of the rumors of how Kathleen died.
(b) Because the Piper family is too poor.
(c) Because of James's behavior in town.
(d) Because they heard Materia was mentally unstable.
8. When Mercedes remembers the incident at the river, what did she think Frances was bathing?
(d) Baby goats.
9. What thing could Kathleen do before she could talk?
10. Whose photograph does James want to take with him to war?
11. How old was James when his father moved out?
12. What is the name of Materia's second born daughter?
13. After James moved away from home, where did he settle?
14. Who takes the blame for moving the rocks around Ambrose's grave?
(b) All of the Piper girls take the blame.
15. When Mercedes walks out into the yard after Kathleen's death, what is missing from the garden?
(a) All the flowers.
(b) The headstone.
(c) The family tree.
(d) The scarecrow.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mercedes feel guilty about Frances's lot in life?
2. What is James's secret to staying alive on the battlefield?
3. What was Materia's reaction to Kathleen's death?
4. Which of the following Piper girls insists that something is wrong with Kathleen's baby?
5. How old was Materia when she first met James?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)