|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the incident at the river, for how long does Frances hold a hunger strike?
(a) Three days.
(b) Two days.
(c) Four days.
(d) Five days.
2. What is the name of Materia's firstborn daughter?
3. How long after receiving the mysterious note, does James arrive in Grand Central Station to bring Kathleen home?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Three days.
(c) Three hours.
(d) Three months.
4. Where does James lock up Materia, after discovering Kathleen's dead body?
(a) In the attic.
(b) In the coal cellar.
(c) In the car garage.
(d) In the stove room.
5. During what hours of the day does James work as a bootlegger?
(a) In the afternoon.
(b) In the middle of the night.
(c) In the early morning.
(d) In the early evening.
6. Who does Mercedes think visited her in the night, pressing dark fingerprints onto her forehead?
(a) Kathleen Piper.
(b) Grandmother Mahmoud.
(c) Materia Piper.
(d) Teresa Taylor.
7. What is the name of Materia's second born daughter?
8. What job did James work to help pay for Kathleen's boarding school fees?
(a) He worked as a dishwasher.
(b) He worked in a coal mine.
(c) He worked as a bookie.
(d) He worked as a bus driver.
9. When Mercedes remembers the incident at the river, what did she think Frances was bathing?
(b) Baby goats.
10. Which of the following is NOT a movie star the Piper girls idolize?
(a) Bernadette Lewis.
(b) Lillian Gish.
(c) Rudolph Valentino.
(d) Douglas Fairbanks.
11. Besides English, what other language does Materia speak at home?
12. Where does James hope to send Kathleen to school when he returns home from the war?
(a) New York University.
13. Which of Kathleen's family members is the strongest supporter of her musical talent?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her aunt.
(c) Her sister.
(d) Her grandmother.
14. Who does James borrow money from to jump start his new business?
(a) Benny Luvovitz.
(b) Leo Taylor.
(c) Mr. Mahmoud.
(d) Teresa Taylor.
15. What was Materia's reaction to Kathleen's death?
(a) All of the answers are true.
(b) She was relieved.
(c) She was overwhelmed with guilt.
(d) She was frightened and confused.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Kathleen's family members unexpectedly shows up for her first recital performance?
2. Who does James put in charge of raising the new baby after Materia's death?
3. What war does James fight in before returning home?
4. In what year is Materia's first child born?
5. What does everyone in town believe Kathleen died from?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)