|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who acts as the go-between for Materia and her mother during the time she and her family live in Sydney?
(a) Mr. Luvovitz.
(b) James Piper.
(c) Kathleen Piper.
(d) Mrs. Luvovitz.
2. During the time of James's bootlegging career, how long had the coal miners been on strike?
(a) Six years.
(b) Four years.
(c) Three years.
(d) Five years.
3. Who names the new baby Ambrose?
4. Who is the narrator of the novel when the reader learns about Materia's funeral?
5. What is the name of Materia's second born daughter?
6. How often does Kathleen write home, after moving to New York?
(a) Rarely. Her chaperone writes most of the letters.
(c) Every week.
(d) Sporadically, whenever she has free time.
7. When Mercedes isn't taking care of the house, what does she like to do in her free time?
(b) Mercedes never has free time.
(c) Swim in the creek.
(d) Ride her bicycle.
8. What does Frances show to Lily to prove that Ambrose was a real person?
(a) His christening gown.
(b) His headstone.
(c) His birth certificate.
(d) A photo of his corpse.
9. What is the last thing Kathleen sees before she dies?
(a) A bat.
(b) A ghost.
(c) A scarecrow.
(d) A bright light.
10. What is significant about Daddy's hair in the photograph the narrator describes in the prologue?
(a) It is shaved.
(b) It is bleached blonde.
(c) It is braided.
(d) It has grown in patchy in parts and bald in others.
11. Which of the following is NOT a movie star the Piper girls idolize?
(a) Bernadette Lewis.
(b) Lillian Gish.
(c) Rudolph Valentino.
(d) Douglas Fairbanks.
12. Whose photograph does James want to take with him to war?
13. How does Kathleen's accompanist feel about Kathleen's voice?
(a) She thinks it is angelic and perfect.
(b) She thinks it is a lost cause.
(c) She thinks it is often flat.
(d) She thinks it is often sharp.
14. How does James feel about his first-born child?
(a) He is apathetic toward her and simply provides for his family.
(b) He wants nothing to do with her.
(c) He admires her from a distance.
(d) He is obsessed with her.
15. What is the name of the street the Piper family lives on?
(a) Wind Street.
(b) Fire Street.
(c) Water Street.
(d) Earth Street.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what room of the house did Mumma die?
2. Which family member found Materia after her apparent suicide?
3. Besides English, what other language does Materia speak at home?
4. What type of man does Kathleen want to marry when she grows up?
5. What does Mercedes do in the hopes of repairing her family's name in the community?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)