Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Leo Taylor when he is hired by James to drive Kathleen to and from school?
2. How does James react when Kathleen sneaks up behind him and strikes the keys while he is tuning the piano?
(a) He beats her.
(b) He begins to sing.
(c) He hugs her.
(d) He ignores her.
3. What shocking news does the theater owner make moments after Kathleen's performance?
(a) That a girl has been stabbed in the dressing rom.
(b) That war has broken out.
(c) That the stock market has crashed.
(d) That the theater is on fire.
4. Who is the narrator of the novel when the reader learns about Materia's funeral?
5. What does Teresa Taylor give to Frances that infuriates Kathleen?
(a) A photograph of her mother.
(b) A beating.
(c) A black doll.
(d) A piece of candy.
6. When Mercedes isn't taking care of the house, what does she like to do in her free time?
(a) Swim in the creek.
(b) Ride her bicycle.
(d) Mercedes never has free time.
7. Where does James sell his barrels of bootleg liquor?
(c) Cape Breton.
8. How does Kathleen's accompanist feel about Kathleen's voice?
(a) She thinks it is angelic and perfect.
(b) She thinks it is often flat.
(c) She thinks it is a lost cause.
(d) She thinks it is often sharp.
9. What is James's secret to staying alive on the battlefield?
(a) His apathy about life and death.
(b) His prayers every morning and night.
(c) His strong belief in fate.
(d) His desperate desire to return home to family.
10. What does the rival soldier try to steal from James when he attacks him in the night?
(a) His helmet.
(b) His backpack.
(c) His boots.
(d) His gun.
11. Which of the following is NOT an object Frances proposed using as rosary beads when a proper rosary wasn't present?
(a) Clouds in the sky.
(b) Dots on a newspaper.
(d) Mouse turds.
12. What does James do when he visits Kathleen's graveside?
(a) He pulls weeds.
(b) He cries.
(c) He sings songs softly.
(d) He prays and reads the Bible.
13. What color is the Piper family house?
14. Which of the following characters wake up the morning after Kathleen's death with blood in her slippers?
15. Who acts as the go-between for Materia and her mother during the time she and her family live in Sydney?
(a) James Piper.
(b) Mr. Luvovitz.
(c) Mrs. Luvovitz.
(d) Kathleen Piper.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mercedes feel guilty about Frances's lot in life?
2. What is the first sentence of the novel, "Fall on Your Knees"?
3. What is the name of Mercedes' best friend?
4. How often does Kathleen write home, after moving to New York?
5. What does everyone in town believe Kathleen died from?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)