|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Kathleen's accompanist feel about Kathleen's voice?
(a) She thinks it is angelic and perfect.
(b) She thinks it is often flat.
(c) She thinks it is often sharp.
(d) She thinks it is a lost cause.
2. How old was Materia when she first met James?
3. What was the name of Materia's younger sister?
4. After Kathleen was born, where did Materia find work as a piano player?
(a) At the Baptist church.
(b) At a nearby French restaurant.
(c) At the Empire Theatre.
(d) At the elementary school.
5. Which of Kathleen's family members is the strongest supporter of her musical talent?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her aunt.
(c) Her sister.
(d) Her grandmother.
6. Who does Mercedes think visited her in the night, pressing dark fingerprints onto her forehead?
(a) Materia Piper.
(b) Grandmother Mahmoud.
(c) Teresa Taylor.
(d) Kathleen Piper.
7. Who acts as the go-between for Materia and her mother during the time she and her family live in Sydney?
(a) Kathleen Piper.
(b) Mrs. Luvovitz.
(c) Mr. Luvovitz.
(d) James Piper.
8. Who teaches Frances how to read?
9. What rushes from Ambrose's mouth during Lily's nightmares?
10. How does Materia react when she learns James will soon be returning home from the war?
(a) She is excited.
(b) She is anxious.
(c) She is angry.
(d) She is apathetic.
11. Which of the following did Mumma die from?
(b) A stroke.
(d) A gunshot wound.
12. What does Frances tell Lily they may find if they dig around in the back yard?
(a) A buried treasure.
(c) The truth.
(d) A skeleton.
13. How did Materia kill Kathleen?
(a) She poisoned her.
(b) She shot her.
(c) She stabbed her.
(d) She suffocated her.
14. After James moved away from home, where did he settle?
15. Who is the narrator of the novel when the reader learns about Materia's funeral?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Materia cope with the death of her baby?
2. Which regiment does James join when he is shipped out to war?
3. When Mercedes isn't taking care of the house, what does she like to do in her free time?
4. Why did Frances bring the new baby down to the river where he died?
5. Who takes the blame for moving the rocks around Ambrose's grave?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)