|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Materia kill Kathleen?
(a) She stabbed her.
(b) She poisoned her.
(c) She suffocated her.
(d) She shot her.
2. What is James's reaction to burying Ambrose?
(a) He is stoic and cold.
(b) He weeps loudly.
(c) He prays to the Heavens to protect the baby's lost soul.
(d) He shouts and curses his daughters.
3. What religion does Materia follow?
(a) Materia is not religious.
4. How does Materia cope with the death of her baby?
(a) She locks herself in the bedroom and prays.
(b) She begins smoking and swearing.
(c) She scrubs the house.
(d) She drinks a bottle of whiskey.
5. Who does Mercedes think visited her in the night, pressing dark fingerprints onto her forehead?
(a) Kathleen Piper.
(b) Grandmother Mahmoud.
(c) Teresa Taylor.
(d) Materia Piper.
6. On which holiday did James and Materia agree to meet in secret?
(b) New Year's Eve.
(c) Valentine's Day.
7. What color is the Piper family house?
8. Why does Mercedes feel guilty about Frances's lot in life?
(a) Because Frances is regularly beaten by their father.
(b) Because Frances is expected to raise Lily.
(c) Because Frances has no friends.
(d) Because Frances was closest to their mother before her death.
9. What shocking news does the theater owner make moments after Kathleen's performance?
(a) That war has broken out.
(b) That a girl has been stabbed in the dressing rom.
(c) That the stock market has crashed.
(d) That the theater is on fire.
10. What is the name of the Piper family's cat?
11. How does James feel about his first-born child?
(a) He wants nothing to do with her.
(b) He is obsessed with her.
(c) He is apathetic toward her and simply provides for his family.
(d) He admires her from a distance.
12. Besides English, what other language does Materia speak at home?
13. How old was Frances at the time of her mother's death?
(a) Four years old.
(b) Ten years old.
(c) Six years old.
(d) Eight years old.
14. What disease is Kathleen's baby born with, causing the house to be put in quarantine?
(a) Scarlet Fever.
15. What does James allow his wife to do, which he had previously forbidden, thinking it will benefit their child?
(a) Get a job.
(b) Play the piano.
(c) Write to her mother.
(d) Attend church services.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a movie star the Piper girls idolize?
2. What is the name of Materia's fourth daughter, who only lives a few days before her death?
3. Which of the following Piper girls insists that something is wrong with Kathleen's baby?
4. What rushes from Ambrose's mouth during Lily's nightmares?
5. During the time of James's bootlegging career, how long had the coal miners been on strike?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)