|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was James when his father moved out?
2. What does Mercedes do in the hopes of repairing her family's name in the community?
(a) Volunteer at the local hospital.
(b) Bake cookies for the bake sale.
(c) Write a formal letter of apology in the newspaper.
(d) Nothing. Mercedes doesn't care about her family's reputation.
3. What is the name of Materia's second born daughter?
4. How old was Materia when she first met James?
5. During what hours of the day does James work as a bootlegger?
(a) In the early morning.
(b) In the early evening.
(c) In the middle of the night.
(d) In the afternoon.
6. On which holiday did James and Materia agree to meet in secret?
(a) New Year's Eve.
(b) Valentine's Day.
7. Where does James lock up Materia, after discovering Kathleen's dead body?
(a) In the car garage.
(b) In the attic.
(c) In the coal cellar.
(d) In the stove room.
8. Which of the following characters wake up the morning after Kathleen's death with blood in her slippers?
9. How does Kathleen's teacher in New York react to Kathleen's voice?
(a) She thinks she is the next super talent.
(b) She thinks she is talented but needs a lot of work.
(c) She thinks Kathleen is a lost cause.
(d) She doesn't have an opinion about Kathleen's voice and only wants her money.
10. What does the rival soldier try to steal from James when he attacks him in the night?
(a) His helmet.
(b) His backpack.
(c) His gun.
(d) His boots.
11. When Mercedes walks out into the yard after Kathleen's death, what is missing from the garden?
(a) The scarecrow.
(b) The headstone.
(c) All the flowers.
(d) The family tree.
12. What shocking news does the theater owner make moments after Kathleen's performance?
(a) That the stock market has crashed.
(b) That a girl has been stabbed in the dressing rom.
(c) That war has broken out.
(d) That the theater is on fire.
13. Where does James hope to send Kathleen to school when he returns home from the war?
(b) New York University.
14. What type of town is the town where the Piper family lives?
(a) A mining town.
(b) A ghost town.
(c) A historic town.
(d) A shopping town.
15. How old is Kathleen during her first singing recital?
(a) 12 years old.
(b) 10 years old.
(c) 16 years old.
(d) 14 years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Materia kill Kathleen?
2. What does James do when he visits Kathleen's graveside?
3. What is the last thing Kathleen sees before she dies?
4. How does Kathleen feel about New York when she finally moves there?
5. Which of the following figures haunt Kathleen in her nightmares?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)