|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters wake up the morning after Kathleen's death with blood in her slippers?
2. What is the name of Mercedes' best friend?
3. On which holiday did James and Materia agree to meet in secret?
(c) New Year's Eve.
(d) Valentine's Day.
4. What is the gender of Kathleen's baby?
(a) She gives birth to a boy.
(b) She gives birth to a hermaphrodite.
(c) She gives birth to a girl.
(d) She gives birth to a boy and a girl.
5. Which of the following items is NOT described in detail in the opening passages of the prologue?
(a) The thin trees.
(b) The cutaway cliffs.
(c) The barren schoolyard.
(d) The bright moon.
6. Which of the following figures haunt Kathleen in her nightmares?
(a) A ghost.
(b) A scarecrow.
(c) A spider.
(d) A clown.
7. Which North American city is Materia desperate to move to after her marriage?
(b) San Francisco.
(c) New York.
8. Who does James put in charge of raising the new baby after Materia's death?
(a) Mrs. Luvovitz.
(c) Teresa Taylor.
9. What disease is Kathleen's baby born with, causing the house to be put in quarantine?
(d) Scarlet Fever.
10. What is significant about Daddy's hair in the photograph the narrator describes in the prologue?
(a) It is bleached blonde.
(b) It has grown in patchy in parts and bald in others.
(c) It is braided.
(d) It is shaved.
11. Which of the following Piper girls insists that something is wrong with Kathleen's baby?
12. Which of the following is NOT an object Frances proposed using as rosary beads when a proper rosary wasn't present?
(a) Clouds in the sky.
(b) Dots on a newspaper.
(c) Mouse turds.
13. Whom does Lily confide in when her terrible nightmares about Ambrose continue?
(b) Lily does not tell anyone about the dreams.
14. What is the name of Materia's second born daughter?
15. Who found the dead baby and tried to resuscitate him?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last thing Kathleen sees before she dies?
2. When Mercedes remembers the incident at the river, what did she think Frances was bathing?
3. Who does Mercedes think visited her in the night, pressing dark fingerprints onto her forehead?
4. How does Kathleen's teacher in New York react to Kathleen's voice?
5. What is the name of Materia's fourth daughter, who only lives a few days before her death?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)