|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job did James work to help pay for Kathleen's boarding school fees?
(a) He worked as a bookie.
(b) He worked in a coal mine.
(c) He worked as a bus driver.
(d) He worked as a dishwasher.
2. What is the name of Materia's second born daughter?
3. How does Materia cope with the death of her baby?
(a) She drinks a bottle of whiskey.
(b) She scrubs the house.
(c) She locks herself in the bedroom and prays.
(d) She begins smoking and swearing.
4. What type of man does Kathleen want to marry when she grows up?
(a) A talented musician she can perform with.
(b) A rich man to fund her singing career.
(c) A strong man with good values.
(d) Kathleen does not want to get married.
5. How does Kathleen's accompanist feel about Kathleen's voice?
(a) She thinks it is angelic and perfect.
(b) She thinks it is often sharp.
(c) She thinks it is a lost cause.
(d) She thinks it is often flat.
6. What does James allow his wife to do, which he had previously forbidden, thinking it will benefit their child?
(a) Get a job.
(b) Play the piano.
(c) Attend church services.
(d) Write to her mother.
7. How does James feel about his first-born child?
(a) He admires her from a distance.
(b) He is obsessed with her.
(c) He is apathetic toward her and simply provides for his family.
(d) He wants nothing to do with her.
8. Which of the following Piper women waits hopefully everyday for James's death notice to arrive?
9. Who does Mercedes think visited her in the night, pressing dark fingerprints onto her forehead?
(a) Grandmother Mahmoud.
(b) Kathleen Piper.
(c) Teresa Taylor.
(d) Materia Piper.
10. How old was James when his father moved out?
11. What rushes from Ambrose's mouth during Lily's nightmares?
12. What religion does Materia follow?
(d) Materia is not religious.
13. What is strange about James's reaction to Kathleen striking the piano keys?
(a) It confuses him.
(b) It arouses him.
(c) All of the answers are true.
(d) It frightens him.
14. What is James's secret to staying alive on the battlefield?
(a) His strong belief in fate.
(b) His apathy about life and death.
(c) His prayers every morning and night.
(d) His desperate desire to return home to family.
15. Why doesn't Kathleen mind that she has no friends in school?
(a) Because she doesn't like any of them.
(b) Because she thinks she has a great future ahead of her.
(c) Because her family has forbidden her to have friends.
(d) Because she thinks she is better than all of them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Lily confide in when her terrible nightmares about Ambrose continue?
2. Who is the narrator of the novel when the reader learns about Materia's funeral?
3. Where does James sell his barrels of bootleg liquor?
4. What is the last thing Kathleen sees before she dies?
5. What is the name of James's cousin, he sends Kathleen to live with in New York?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)