|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which North American city is Materia desperate to move to after her marriage?
(a) New York.
(d) San Francisco.
2. Why did Frances bring the new baby down to the river where he died?
(a) To baptize him.
(b) To bathe him.
(c) To teach him how to swim.
(d) To give him a drink.
3. After Kathleen was born, where did Materia find work as a piano player?
(a) At the elementary school.
(b) At a nearby French restaurant.
(c) At the Empire Theatre.
(d) At the Baptist church.
4. What was the name of Materia's younger sister?
5. What is James's secret to staying alive on the battlefield?
(a) His strong belief in fate.
(b) His prayers every morning and night.
(c) His apathy about life and death.
(d) His desperate desire to return home to family.
6. What does Mercedes do in the hopes of repairing her family's name in the community?
(a) Bake cookies for the bake sale.
(b) Write a formal letter of apology in the newspaper.
(c) Volunteer at the local hospital.
(d) Nothing. Mercedes doesn't care about her family's reputation.
7. What does James do when he visits Kathleen's graveside?
(a) He prays and reads the Bible.
(b) He cries.
(c) He sings songs softly.
(d) He pulls weeds.
8. Besides English, what other language does Materia speak at home?
9. What is the name of Lily's favorite movie star, whom she is teased mercilessly for admiring?
(a) Mary Pickford.
(b) Greta Garbo.
(c) Claudette Colbert.
(d) Barbara Stanwyck.
10. What is the name of the school Kathleen was enrolled in as a child?
(a) Saint Mary's.
(b) Holy Angels.
(c) Our Lady of Perpetual Sorrows.
(d) Sydney's School for Catholic Girls.
11. Which of the Piper family members create a family tree to show the generations who lived before them?
12. How long after receiving the mysterious note, does James arrive in Grand Central Station to bring Kathleen home?
(a) Three months.
(b) Three hours.
(c) Three days.
(d) Three weeks.
13. How does Kathleen feel about New York when she finally moves there?
(a) She falls in love with the city.
(b) She is confused by the big city.
(c) She is terrified by the city and wants to return home.
(d) She is apathetic to the city, focused only on her career.
14. What does Frances tell Lily they may find if they dig around in the back yard?
(a) The truth.
(b) A buried treasure.
(c) A skeleton.
15. What is the first sentence of the novel, "Fall on Your Knees"?
(a) "Everybody's in Heaven, leaving me in Hell."
(b) "They're all gone now."
(c) "Nobody knows where they went."
(d) "They're all dead now."
Short Answer Questions
1. What did James's father do for a living?
2. What is the first thing Frances eats when her hunger strike is over?
3. Which of the following is NOT an object Frances proposed using as rosary beads when a proper rosary wasn't present?
4. Who takes the blame for moving the rocks around Ambrose's grave?
5. How old was James when his father moved out?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)