|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the city where the Piper family lives?
(b) New Waterford.
(c) West Minster.
(d) Alabaster Cove.
2. After James moved away from home, where did he settle?
3. What does James hope to sell when he returns home from the war?
4. How old was Materia when she first met James?
5. Who takes the blame for moving the rocks around Ambrose's grave?
(b) All of the Piper girls take the blame.
6. How old was Frances at the time of her mother's death?
(a) Eight years old.
(b) Four years old.
(c) Six years old.
(d) Ten years old.
7. Why did Frances bring the new baby down to the river where he died?
(a) To bathe him.
(b) To give him a drink.
(c) To baptize him.
(d) To teach him how to swim.
8. What classic fairy tale does the narrator reference when describing Mumma's death?
(a) Hansel and Gretel.
(b) Sleeping Beauty.
(c) The Prince and the Pauper.
(d) The Princess and the Pea.
9. How does James react when Kathleen sneaks up behind him and strikes the keys while he is tuning the piano?
(a) He beats her.
(b) He hugs her.
(c) He begins to sing.
(d) He ignores her.
10. Which of the following items is NOT described in detail in the opening passages of the prologue?
(a) The bright moon.
(b) The cutaway cliffs.
(c) The thin trees.
(d) The barren schoolyard.
11. Who does James borrow money from to jump start his new business?
(a) Benny Luvovitz.
(b) Mr. Mahmoud.
(c) Teresa Taylor.
(d) Leo Taylor.
12. What does everyone in town believe Kathleen died from?
(a) The flu.
(b) The black plague.
(c) Scarlet fever.
(d) Chicken pox.
13. Where does James hope to send Kathleen to school when he returns home from the war?
(b) New York University.
14. Who found the dead baby and tried to resuscitate him?
15. Why does Mercedes feel guilty about Frances's lot in life?
(a) Because Frances is regularly beaten by their father.
(b) Because Frances is expected to raise Lily.
(c) Because Frances has no friends.
(d) Because Frances was closest to their mother before her death.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a movie star the Piper girls idolize?
2. What disease is Kathleen's baby born with, causing the house to be put in quarantine?
3. Who is the narrator of the novel when the reader learns about Materia's funeral?
4. What war does James fight in before returning home?
5. Who names the new baby Ambrose?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)