|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What religion does Materia follow?
(a) Materia is not religious.
2. What is the last thing Kathleen sees before she dies?
(a) A ghost.
(b) A bat.
(c) A scarecrow.
(d) A bright light.
3. Who does James put in charge of raising the new baby after Materia's death?
(a) Teresa Taylor.
(d) Mrs. Luvovitz.
4. What is the gender of Kathleen's baby?
(a) She gives birth to a hermaphrodite.
(b) She gives birth to a boy and a girl.
(c) She gives birth to a girl.
(d) She gives birth to a boy.
5. What does Teresa Taylor give to Frances that infuriates Kathleen?
(a) A photograph of her mother.
(b) A beating.
(c) A piece of candy.
(d) A black doll.
6. What does Mercedes do in the hopes of repairing her family's name in the community?
(a) Nothing. Mercedes doesn't care about her family's reputation.
(b) Bake cookies for the bake sale.
(c) Write a formal letter of apology in the newspaper.
(d) Volunteer at the local hospital.
7. What did Materia's mother read to tell James's fortune?
(a) A glass ball.
(b) His tea leaves.
(c) Her Terro cards.
(d) His palms.
8. How does Kathleen feel about New York when she finally moves there?
(a) She is apathetic to the city, focused only on her career.
(b) She falls in love with the city.
(c) She is terrified by the city and wants to return home.
(d) She is confused by the big city.
9. Who does James borrow money from to jump start his new business?
(a) Benny Luvovitz.
(b) Leo Taylor.
(c) Teresa Taylor.
(d) Mr. Mahmoud.
10. Where does James hope to send Kathleen to school when he returns home from the war?
(c) New York University.
11. Why did Frances bring the new baby down to the river where he died?
(a) To give him a drink.
(b) To teach him how to swim.
(c) To bathe him.
(d) To baptize him.
12. What was Materia's reaction to Kathleen's death?
(a) She was relieved.
(b) She was overwhelmed with guilt.
(c) All of the answers are true.
(d) She was frightened and confused.
13. How does Materia cope with the death of her baby?
(a) She scrubs the house.
(b) She begins smoking and swearing.
(c) She locks herself in the bedroom and prays.
(d) She drinks a bottle of whiskey.
14. What is the name of Lily's favorite movie star, whom she is teased mercilessly for admiring?
(a) Claudette Colbert.
(b) Barbara Stanwyck.
(c) Greta Garbo.
(d) Mary Pickford.
15. How does Kathleen's teacher in New York react to Kathleen's voice?
(a) She thinks she is the next super talent.
(b) She thinks Kathleen is a lost cause.
(c) She thinks she is talented but needs a lot of work.
(d) She doesn't have an opinion about Kathleen's voice and only wants her money.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Materia kill Kathleen?
2. How old was Materia when she first met James?
3. What type of man does Kathleen want to marry when she grows up?
4. What is the name of James's cousin, he sends Kathleen to live with in New York?
5. How many children does Kathleen claim to want to have when she is older?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)