|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was James when his father moved out?
2. How old was Frances at the time of her mother's death?
(a) Eight years old.
(b) Four years old.
(c) Ten years old.
(d) Six years old.
3. What is the name of Kathleen's accompanist in New York?
4. How old is Kathleen during her first singing recital?
(a) 14 years old.
(b) 10 years old.
(c) 12 years old.
(d) 16 years old.
5. Which of Kathleen's family members is the strongest supporter of her musical talent?
(a) Her aunt.
(b) Her grandmother.
(c) Her sister.
(d) Her mother.
6. In what year is Materia's first child born?
7. What is James's secret to staying alive on the battlefield?
(a) His strong belief in fate.
(b) His apathy about life and death.
(c) His desperate desire to return home to family.
(d) His prayers every morning and night.
8. What was the name of Materia's younger sister?
9. What does Frances tell Lily they may find if they dig around in the back yard?
(a) A skeleton.
(b) A buried treasure.
(d) The truth.
10. During the time of James's bootlegging career, how long had the coal miners been on strike?
(a) Four years.
(b) Six years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Three years.
11. During his deployment, how long will James be away from his family?
(a) Two years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Four years.
(d) One year.
12. How does James feel about his first-born child?
(a) He admires her from a distance.
(b) He wants nothing to do with her.
(c) He is obsessed with her.
(d) He is apathetic toward her and simply provides for his family.
13. How often does Kathleen write home, after moving to New York?
(b) Rarely. Her chaperone writes most of the letters.
(c) Sporadically, whenever she has free time.
(d) Every week.
14. What was Materia's reaction to Kathleen's death?
(a) She was overwhelmed with guilt.
(b) All of the answers are true.
(c) She was relieved.
(d) She was frightened and confused.
15. What does James allow his wife to do, which he had previously forbidden, thinking it will benefit their child?
(a) Play the piano.
(b) Attend church services.
(c) Write to her mother.
(d) Get a job.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does James sell his barrels of bootleg liquor?
2. What does the rival soldier try to steal from James when he attacks him in the night?
3. Which of the following did Mumma die from?
4. What does Frances show to Lily to prove that Ambrose was a real person?
5. Which of the following characters wake up the morning after Kathleen's death with blood in her slippers?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)