|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many of Mrs. Lubovitz's sons are killed in the war?
2. Which regiment does James join when he is shipped out to war?
(a) The 77th regiment.
(b) The 86th regiment.
(c) The 94th regiment.
(d) The 69th regiment.
3. Which of the Piper family members create a family tree to show the generations who lived before them?
4. What type of man does Kathleen want to marry when she grows up?
(a) A talented musician she can perform with.
(b) A rich man to fund her singing career.
(c) Kathleen does not want to get married.
(d) A strong man with good values.
5. Who acts as the go-between for Materia and her mother during the time she and her family live in Sydney?
(a) James Piper.
(b) Mrs. Luvovitz.
(c) Kathleen Piper.
(d) Mr. Luvovitz.
6. When Mercedes isn't taking care of the house, what does she like to do in her free time?
(a) Swim in the creek.
(b) Mercedes never has free time.
(d) Ride her bicycle.
7. What is the last thing Kathleen sees before she dies?
(a) A ghost.
(b) A bright light.
(c) A bat.
(d) A scarecrow.
8. What religion does Materia follow?
(d) Materia is not religious.
9. What does Frances show to Lily to prove that Ambrose was a real person?
(a) His headstone.
(b) His christening gown.
(c) His birth certificate.
(d) A photo of his corpse.
10. What thing could Kathleen do before she could talk?
11. Who does Mercedes think visited her in the night, pressing dark fingerprints onto her forehead?
(a) Grandmother Mahmoud.
(b) Teresa Taylor.
(c) Materia Piper.
(d) Kathleen Piper.
12. During what hours of the day does James work as a bootlegger?
(a) In the middle of the night.
(b) In the early evening.
(c) In the early morning.
(d) In the afternoon.
13. What is strange about James's reaction to Kathleen striking the piano keys?
(a) It arouses him.
(b) It frightens him.
(c) It confuses him.
(d) All of the answers are true.
14. What does James do when he visits Kathleen's graveside?
(a) He prays and reads the Bible.
(b) He cries.
(c) He pulls weeds.
(d) He sings songs softly.
15. What does Teresa Taylor give to Frances that infuriates Kathleen?
(a) A beating.
(b) A photograph of her mother.
(c) A black doll.
(d) A piece of candy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rushes from Ambrose's mouth during Lily's nightmares?
2. What is the gender of Kathleen's baby?
3. Why was Kathleen's labor difficult?
4. What does the rival soldier try to steal from James when he attacks him in the night?
5. What does Frances tell Lily they may find if they dig around in the back yard?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)