|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does James do when he visits Kathleen's graveside?
(a) He sings songs softly.
(b) He cries.
(c) He prays and reads the Bible.
(d) He pulls weeds.
2. During the time of James's bootlegging career, how long had the coal miners been on strike?
(a) Six years.
(b) Four years.
(c) Three years.
(d) Five years.
3. What is the first sentence of the novel, "Fall on Your Knees"?
(a) "They're all dead now."
(b) "Everybody's in Heaven, leaving me in Hell."
(c) "Nobody knows where they went."
(d) "They're all gone now."
4. What is the name of Lily's favorite movie star, whom she is teased mercilessly for admiring?
(a) Claudette Colbert.
(b) Barbara Stanwyck.
(c) Mary Pickford.
(d) Greta Garbo.
5. How often does Kathleen write home, after moving to New York?
(a) Every week.
(b) Rarely. Her chaperone writes most of the letters.
(c) Sporadically, whenever she has free time.
6. What does the rival soldier try to steal from James when he attacks him in the night?
(a) His boots.
(b) His backpack.
(c) His gun.
(d) His helmet.
7. Which of Kathleen's family members unexpectedly shows up for her first recital performance?
(a) Her grandfather.
(b) Her uncle.
(c) Her aunt.
(d) Her grandmother.
8. When Mercedes remembers the incident at the river, what did she think Frances was bathing?
(a) Baby goats.
9. How does Materia react when she learns James will soon be returning home from the war?
(a) She is apathetic.
(b) She is angry.
(c) She is excited.
(d) She is anxious.
10. What is the name of Materia's fourth daughter, who only lives a few days before her death?
11. What is the name of the street the Piper family lives on?
(a) Water Street.
(b) Fire Street.
(c) Earth Street.
(d) Wind Street.
12. How old was James when his father moved out?
13. What thing could Kathleen do before she could talk?
14. How does Kathleen's accompanist feel about Kathleen's voice?
(a) She thinks it is a lost cause.
(b) She thinks it is angelic and perfect.
(c) She thinks it is often sharp.
(d) She thinks it is often flat.
15. How does Kathleen feel about New York when she finally moves there?
(a) She is confused by the big city.
(b) She is terrified by the city and wants to return home.
(c) She falls in love with the city.
(d) She is apathetic to the city, focused only on her career.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mercedes do in the hopes of repairing her family's name in the community?
2. Which of the following is NOT a movie star the Piper girls idolize?
3. After Kathleen was born, where did Materia find work as a piano player?
4. What is the name of the city where the Piper family lives?
5. Which of the following did Mumma die from?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)