|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does James put in charge of raising the new baby after Materia's death?
(a) Teresa Taylor.
(b) Mrs. Luvovitz.
2. Which of the following Piper girls insists that something is wrong with Kathleen's baby?
3. Which of the following figures haunt Kathleen in her nightmares?
(a) A clown.
(b) A ghost.
(c) A scarecrow.
(d) A spider.
4. What was the name of Materia's younger sister?
5. What is the first sentence of the novel, "Fall on Your Knees"?
(a) "Nobody knows where they went."
(b) "They're all gone now."
(c) "Everybody's in Heaven, leaving me in Hell."
(d) "They're all dead now."
6. How old is Kathleen during her first singing recital?
(a) 10 years old.
(b) 14 years old.
(c) 16 years old.
(d) 12 years old.
7. How does Kathleen react when her father is deployed overseas?
(a) She stops playing the piano.
(b) She stops praying.
(c) She stops eating.
(d) She stops singing.
8. How did Materia kill Kathleen?
(a) She shot her.
(b) She suffocated her.
(c) She stabbed her.
(d) She poisoned her.
9. What is the name of the street the Piper family lives on?
(a) Earth Street.
(b) Water Street.
(c) Fire Street.
(d) Wind Street.
10. What type of man does Kathleen want to marry when she grows up?
(a) A rich man to fund her singing career.
(b) Kathleen does not want to get married.
(c) A talented musician she can perform with.
(d) A strong man with good values.
11. What is Ambrose buried in?
(a) James's work shirt.
(b) His christening gown.
(c) Materia's wedding dress.
(d) Frances's nightgown.
12. Which North American city is Materia desperate to move to after her marriage?
(a) New York.
(b) San Francisco.
13. Which of the following did Mumma die from?
(a) A stroke.
(c) A gunshot wound.
14. Which of the following is NOT a movie star the Piper girls idolize?
(a) Rudolph Valentino.
(b) Bernadette Lewis.
(c) Douglas Fairbanks.
(d) Lillian Gish.
15. How long after receiving the mysterious note, does James arrive in Grand Central Station to bring Kathleen home?
(a) Three days.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Three months.
(d) Three hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters wake up the morning after Kathleen's death with blood in her slippers?
2. What disease is Kathleen's baby born with, causing the house to be put in quarantine?
3. Why does Mercedes feel guilty about Frances's lot in life?
4. Where does James hope to send Kathleen to school when he returns home from the war?
5. Who teaches Frances how to read?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)