|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does James sell his barrels of bootleg liquor?
(d) Cape Breton.
2. Which of the following items is NOT described in detail in the opening passages of the prologue?
(a) The thin trees.
(b) The barren schoolyard.
(c) The cutaway cliffs.
(d) The bright moon.
3. What color is the Piper family house?
4. What is the name of Materia's second born daughter?
5. Who is the narrator of the novel when the reader learns about Materia's funeral?
6. Why did Frances bring the new baby down to the river where he died?
(a) To give him a drink.
(b) To baptize him.
(c) To teach him how to swim.
(d) To bathe him.
7. When her father is gone, how does Kathleen treat her younger sisters?
(a) She ignores them as usual.
(b) She plays and reads books with them.
(c) She is plesant to the girls, but takes no special interest in them.
(d) She beats them when no one is looking.
8. During what hours of the day does James work as a bootlegger?
(a) In the afternoon.
(b) In the middle of the night.
(c) In the early morning.
(d) In the early evening.
9. What thing could Kathleen do before she could talk?
10. Whose photograph does James want to take with him to war?
11. What does everyone in town believe Kathleen died from?
(a) Chicken pox.
(b) The flu.
(c) The black plague.
(d) Scarlet fever.
12. What does Mrs. Luvovitz sell by the roadside?
13. What is the name of Mercedes' best friend?
14. When Mercedes walks out into the yard after Kathleen's death, what is missing from the garden?
(a) The scarecrow.
(b) All the flowers.
(c) The headstone.
(d) The family tree.
15. How many of Mrs. Lubovitz's sons are killed in the war?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Kathleen's labor difficult?
2. In what room of the house did Mumma die?
3. What is the gender of Kathleen's baby?
4. What does Frances show to Lily to prove that Ambrose was a real person?
5. Why doesn't Kathleen mind that she has no friends in school?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)