|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Other Lily when she died?
(a) One year.
(b) One month.
(c) One day.
(d) One week.
2. What does everyone in town believe Kathleen died from?
(a) The black plague.
(b) Scarlet fever.
(c) The flu.
(d) Chicken pox.
3. What war does James fight in before returning home?
(a) The Vietnam War.
(b) World War II.
(c) The Civil War.
(d) World War I.
4. Which of the following is NOT a movie star the Piper girls idolize?
(a) Lillian Gish.
(b) Douglas Fairbanks.
(c) Bernadette Lewis.
(d) Rudolph Valentino.
5. What job did James work to help pay for Kathleen's boarding school fees?
(a) He worked in a coal mine.
(b) He worked as a bus driver.
(c) He worked as a dishwasher.
(d) He worked as a bookie.
6. What is James's reaction to burying Ambrose?
(a) He prays to the Heavens to protect the baby's lost soul.
(b) He shouts and curses his daughters.
(c) He weeps loudly.
(d) He is stoic and cold.
7. What color is the Piper family house?
8. Which of the following items is NOT described in detail in the opening passages of the prologue?
(a) The barren schoolyard.
(b) The thin trees.
(c) The cutaway cliffs.
(d) The bright moon.
9. Which of the following is NOT an object Frances proposed using as rosary beads when a proper rosary wasn't present?
(b) Clouds in the sky.
(c) Mouse turds.
(d) Dots on a newspaper.
10. What does Mercedes do in the hopes of repairing her family's name in the community?
(a) Bake cookies for the bake sale.
(b) Nothing. Mercedes doesn't care about her family's reputation.
(c) Volunteer at the local hospital.
(d) Write a formal letter of apology in the newspaper.
11. How does Materia cope with the death of her baby?
(a) She drinks a bottle of whiskey.
(b) She begins smoking and swearing.
(c) She locks herself in the bedroom and prays.
(d) She scrubs the house.
12. Why did Frances bring the new baby down to the river where he died?
(a) To teach him how to swim.
(b) To baptize him.
(c) To bathe him.
(d) To give him a drink.
13. What is the name of the street the Piper family lives on?
(a) Earth Street.
(b) Fire Street.
(c) Wind Street.
(d) Water Street.
14. What type of town is the town where the Piper family lives?
(a) A mining town.
(b) A shopping town.
(c) A ghost town.
(d) A historic town.
15. What classic fairy tale does the narrator reference when describing Mumma's death?
(a) The Princess and the Pea.
(b) The Prince and the Pauper.
(c) Hansel and Gretel.
(d) Sleeping Beauty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mercedes think visited her in the night, pressing dark fingerprints onto her forehead?
2. What does Frances show to Lily to prove that Ambrose was a real person?
3. What is the name of Materia's firstborn daughter?
4. During his deployment, how long will James be away from his family?
5. In what year is Materia's first child born?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)