|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is James's secret to staying alive on the battlefield?
(a) His apathy about life and death.
(b) His prayers every morning and night.
(c) His strong belief in fate.
(d) His desperate desire to return home to family.
2. What is the name of Kathleen's accompanist in New York?
3. Which of the following Piper girls insists that something is wrong with Kathleen's baby?
4. Who does Mercedes think visited her in the night, pressing dark fingerprints onto her forehead?
(a) Materia Piper.
(b) Grandmother Mahmoud.
(c) Kathleen Piper.
(d) Teresa Taylor.
5. Who acts as the go-between for Materia and her mother during the time she and her family live in Sydney?
(a) Mrs. Luvovitz.
(b) James Piper.
(c) Kathleen Piper.
(d) Mr. Luvovitz.
6. What classic fairy tale does the narrator reference when describing Mumma's death?
(a) The Prince and the Pauper.
(b) Hansel and Gretel.
(c) The Princess and the Pea.
(d) Sleeping Beauty.
7. Which of the following is NOT a movie star the Piper girls idolize?
(a) Douglas Fairbanks.
(b) Lillian Gish.
(c) Bernadette Lewis.
(d) Rudolph Valentino.
8. What was Materia's reaction to Kathleen's death?
(a) She was relieved.
(b) All of the answers are true.
(c) She was frightened and confused.
(d) She was overwhelmed with guilt.
9. On which holiday did James and Materia agree to meet in secret?
(a) New Year's Eve.
(b) Valentine's Day.
10. When Mercedes isn't taking care of the house, what does she like to do in her free time?
(b) Ride her bicycle.
(c) Swim in the creek.
(d) Mercedes never has free time.
11. Who found the dead baby and tried to resuscitate him?
12. How does Kathleen react when her father is deployed overseas?
(a) She stops singing.
(b) She stops eating.
(c) She stops praying.
(d) She stops playing the piano.
13. How did Materia kill Kathleen?
(a) She shot her.
(b) She stabbed her.
(c) She suffocated her.
(d) She poisoned her.
14. What does the rival soldier try to steal from James when he attacks him in the night?
(a) His backpack.
(b) His helmet.
(c) His gun.
(d) His boots.
15. How old was Other Lily when she died?
(a) One month.
(b) One week.
(c) One day.
(d) One year.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of Mrs. Lubovitz's sons are killed in the war?
2. Which of the Piper family members create a family tree to show the generations who lived before them?
3. What is strange about James's reaction to Kathleen striking the piano keys?
4. Whom does Lily confide in when her terrible nightmares about Ambrose continue?
5. What is the name of the Piper family's cat?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)