|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the Piper family members create a family tree to show the generations who lived before them?
2. Which of the following Piper girls insists that something is wrong with Kathleen's baby?
3. Whose photograph does James want to take with him to war?
4. Which of the following items is NOT described in detail in the opening passages of the prologue?
(a) The barren schoolyard.
(b) The cutaway cliffs.
(c) The bright moon.
(d) The thin trees.
5. What is the name of Materia's second born daughter?
6. Which of the following medals does James receive when he is discharged from duty?
(a) The Distinguished Service Order Medal.
(b) The Armed Forces Reserve Medal.
(c) The American Defense Medal.
(d) The Purple Heart Medal.
7. Where does James hope to send Kathleen to school when he returns home from the war?
(d) New York University.
8. What is the name of Lily's favorite movie star, whom she is teased mercilessly for admiring?
(a) Mary Pickford.
(b) Greta Garbo.
(c) Barbara Stanwyck.
(d) Claudette Colbert.
9. How does Materia cope with the death of her baby?
(a) She begins smoking and swearing.
(b) She drinks a bottle of whiskey.
(c) She scrubs the house.
(d) She locks herself in the bedroom and prays.
10. In what room of the house did Mumma die?
(a) In the bedroom.
(b) In the living room.
(c) In the kitchen.
(d) In the bathroom.
11. What did Materia's mother read to tell James's fortune?
(a) His palms.
(b) Her Terro cards.
(c) A glass ball.
(d) His tea leaves.
12. After Kathleen was born, where did Materia find work as a piano player?
(a) At a nearby French restaurant.
(b) At the elementary school.
(c) At the Baptist church.
(d) At the Empire Theatre.
13. How does Kathleen's teacher in New York react to Kathleen's voice?
(a) She thinks Kathleen is a lost cause.
(b) She doesn't have an opinion about Kathleen's voice and only wants her money.
(c) She thinks she is the next super talent.
(d) She thinks she is talented but needs a lot of work.
14. What is the gender of Kathleen's baby?
(a) She gives birth to a girl.
(b) She gives birth to a boy.
(c) She gives birth to a boy and a girl.
(d) She gives birth to a hermaphrodite.
15. What country is James stationed in during the war?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following Piper women waits hopefully everyday for James's death notice to arrive?
2. What type of town is the town where the Piper family lives?
3. Where does James sell his barrels of bootleg liquor?
4. Whom does Lily confide in when her terrible nightmares about Ambrose continue?
5. Which family member found Materia after her apparent suicide?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)