|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The next morning, how does Montag feel about his confrontation with Mildred about the poem?
2. According to Faber, what don’t people need to be happy?
3. How does Montag explain his disillusionment with society?
4. What poem does Montag read during his confrontation with Mildred?
5. According to Faber, what is missing from most people’s lives, causing unhappiness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Faber feel is an inevitable truth, and how does his belief affect Montag’s plan?
2. Why does Faber consider himself a coward?
3. According to Faber, what has happened to the image of Jesus in their society?
4. What tool does Faber give Montag for communication?
5. How does Beatty want Montag to destroy his home?
6. What reasons does Montag give for his desire to understand what is written in the books?
7. What is the first glimmer readers see of Montag beginning to think for himself?
8. As Montag reads through the illegal books, what sound adds urgency to his search?
9. How does Faber react to the news that firemen are at Montag’s home?
10. Describe Mildred’s relationship with her television programs.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the society Montag lives in. What control does the government have over its people, and what is the motivation behind this control? Do you see any parallels between Montag’s society and our own? What do you think is Bradbury’s message about government and censorship? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
How does Mildred symbolize the state of unhappiness in Montag’s society? What does Mildred value, and how do her obsessions affect her personal life, particularly in her marriage? What message is Bradbury sending the reader about the comparison between television and books? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
What does the river in Fahrenheit 451 symbolize? In what ways are both fire and water used as cleansing agents in the novel? Then, describe the two daydreams Montag experiences while floating down the river, and what they express about his character journey. Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)