|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What poem does Montag read during his confrontation with Mildred?
2. On Montag’s first day back at work, what does Beatty try to convince him to do?
3. According to Faber, what is inevitable?
4. What game does Montag play with his fellow firemen before the confrontation?
5. According to Faber, what is missing from most people’s lives, causing unhappiness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Montag give Faber for his sudden decision to stop burning books?
2. Why does Faber consider himself a coward?
3. How does Montag feel as he watches his house burn down?
4. Where does Montag hide the illegal books after revealing them to Mildred, and why?
5. What sound startles Montag and Mildred as they leaf through the illegal books, and how do they react?
6. What is the first glimmer readers see of Montag beginning to think for himself?
7. What information was used to turn Montag in to the authorities, and where did it come from?
8. How does Montag convince Faber that he can be trusted with information about books?
9. What does Mildred do when the fire trucks arrive at her house in the beginning of Section Three?
10. What does Faber say about the magical properties of books?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role firemen play in Montag’s society. Why were firemen first needed, and how has their role changed over time? Then, discuss Montag’s personal transformation within the role. What does he like about his job? When did that change? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the society Montag lives in. What control does the government have over its people, and what is the motivation behind this control? Do you see any parallels between Montag’s society and our own? What do you think is Bradbury’s message about government and censorship? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Montag’s relationship with Professor Faber. Where did the two men first meet, and what is significant about their meeting? Why did Montag think that Faber would make a good mentor in his quest for knowledge. Based on your reading, do you agree with Montag’s assessment? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)