|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Montag dread doing with the book he’s taken a special interest in?
2. Which Book does Montag take a special interest in and bring to Faber’s house?
3. What effect is reading having on Montag?
4. How does Faber help Montag during the confrontation with Beatty?
5. How does Montag explain his disillusionment with society?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Montag give Faber for his sudden decision to stop burning books?
2. What does Faber feel is an inevitable truth, and how does his belief affect Montag’s plan?
3. How does Montag convince Faber that he can be trusted with information about books?
4. What does Montag do with the hidden books after Beatty leaves?
5. Who is professor Faber, and how does Montag know him?
6. What sound startles Montag and Mildred as they leaf through the illegal books, and how do they react?
7. How does Montag feel as he watches his house burn down?
8. How does Faber react to the news that firemen are at Montag’s home?
9. What tool does Faber give Montag for communication?
10. What is significant about the telephone conversation that pulls Mildred away from Montag and the books?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Montag’s transition from duty-bound fireman to intellectual revolutionary. What prompted Montag to abandon his post in search of great literature? Choose to major events in Montag’s life and explain why they were turning points for his character. What do you think Montag’s fate might be five or ten years after the novel’s conclusion? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Montag’s relationship with Professor Faber. Where did the two men first meet, and what is significant about their meeting? Why did Montag think that Faber would make a good mentor in his quest for knowledge. Based on your reading, do you agree with Montag’s assessment? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Clarisse’s role in the novel. How does she act as a catalyst for Montag’s change? Do you think he could have / would have changed without her influence? Is it significant that catalyst to Montag’s change is a young, beautiful woman? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)