|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Triamond survive his battle with Campbell?
2. What does the witch do to calm his son down after Florimell runs away?
3. Why does Hellenore set fire to her husband's treasures?
4. Why does Timias retreat to the woods as a hermit?
5. Why does Malbecco finally let the knights in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Duessa and Paridell such a good couple?
2. Why does an angel watch over Guyon?
3. Why is Britomart so upset about Artegall's situation?
4. What is the punishment for prisoners of the Amazons?
5. How does Souldon die?
6. Why is Artegall so upset with Pollente?
7. Why does Belphoebe dwell in the woods when she was born to higher things?
8. Why do The Dwarf and The Red Cross Knight flee the House of Pride?
9. Explain what Hellenore does at the promptings of Paridell.
10. What were some notable differences between The House of Pride and The House of Holiness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Guyon faces some very real and dangerous temptations during his sojourn with Mammon. Somehow he is able to make it out without giving in to any of them. Summarize the different things that Mammon uses to tempt Guyon and the ways that Guyon maintained his self control. What kinds of parallels can be made to your life today?
Essay Topic 2
The Red Cross Knight is a valiant, but flawed, hero who gets all of his faults washed clean and reversed during his stay at the House of Holiness. List some or all of the things that were done during this experience and write about your feelings on this. Could this really have turned the tides on such a naive and foolish character?
Essay Topic 3
The laws of Chivalry were extremely important to some of the characters in this book--so much so that some were willing to die or kill in order to uphold those laws. Who were these characters willing to kill or die for the laws, and how did these laws effect these character's lives? What laws were broken, and how were they justified?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)