|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does The Red Cross Knight rise to battle with the dragon a second day after being tossed aside wounded and almost lifeless after the first long day of battle?
2. What gets in the way of the engagement between The Red Cross Knight and Una?
3. Why does Malbecco refuse to let the knights into his castle and make them sleep in the pig shed on the first night?
4. Why is Amoret so uncomfortable about traveling with Britomart?
5. Why does Martinell refuse passage to Britomart on the beach?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what happened to Guyon while he was with Mammon.
2. How is Acrasia finally captured?
3. What does Calidore do when he finally captures the Blatant Beast?
4. What makes Duessa so dangerous to The Red Cross Knight?
5. How does Souldon die?
6. How is Guyon defeated for the first time in his life?
7. Why is Britomart so upset about Artegall's situation?
8. How is Tristram validated for killing a knight above his status?
9. Why are Artegall and Scudamore so happy when Britomart's helmet is knocked off?
10. Why does Mirabella not need protecting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On his way home from completing his mission, Artegall meets two hags, Envy and Detraction. Talus tries to kill them, but Artegall stops him. Why were they allowed to live? What part do they play in society? Would you have killed them? Are they all bad? Are there things we would not have right now without them? What would change if they were not alive and well in society? What do we not have that we would if they had been vanquished?
Essay Topic 2
Braggadochio is a very foolish and pompous character in this book. What is his real weakness? Where is it illustrated best? How does his folly change the way the plot goes?
Essay Topic 3
Calidore allows Scandal to live after he spends most of his time in the book chasing after him. Why do you think he does this? What good or bad came from this decision? How would the plot have been altered if he had killed the Beast?
This section contains 1,671 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)