Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Arthur bribe his way into the castle?
2. Why does Malbecco finally let the knights in?
3. How does the Red Cross Knight finally defeat the dreaded dragon?
4. Why did Phedon kill his best friend and his betrothed?
5. What is The Squire's unique quest that he has been sent on by his beloved Columbell?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Florimell finally saved?
2. Explain Artegall's Solomon-like solution with Saglier.
3. Explain the dispute between Amidas and Bracidas.
4. How is Tristram validated for killing a knight above his status?
5. How much time does Artegall have to complete his mission and what will happen if he does not?
6. Who are the three knights chasing Samient, and why are they chasing her?
7. Why are Artegall and Scudamore so happy when Britomart's helmet is knocked off?
8. Explain the experience that Serena has with the savages.
9. What makes Duessa so dangerous to The Red Cross Knight?
10. Why are Duessa and Paridell such a good couple?
Essay Topic 1
Love is an ongoing theme in this book as Spenser juxtaposes a number of different couples throughout the plot. Explore the best and the worst of these relationships. What makes the best one good and the worst one bad? Are they realistic at all?
Essay Topic 2
Timias and Serena both have close calls with death due to The Blatant Beast. What instructions are they given by the hermit to be healed? How do these particular instructions really help in the fight against Scandal?
Essay Topic 3
Calidore allows Scandal to live after he spends most of his time in the book chasing after him. Why do you think he does this? What good or bad came from this decision? How would the plot have been altered if he had killed the Beast?
This section contains 1,642 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)