|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Phedon kill his best friend and his betrothed?
2. Why is Amoret so uncomfortable about traveling with Britomart?
3. Who protects Guyon from his enemies while he is unconscious?
4. What causes Malecasta to faint?
5. Who is the brother of Pyrochles?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Calidore break the law of Chivalry?
2. Why does an angel watch over Guyon?
3. How does Marinell find Florimell?
4. What does the Witch do to pacify her son's rejection?
5. What keeps Timias from declaring his love for Belphoebe?
6. Who do Talus and Artegall meet on the road home?
7. What does Calidore do when he finally captures the Blatant Beast?
8. Explain the experience that Serena has with the savages.
9. Why is Calidore distracted from his quest to kill The Blatant Beast?
10. What is the punishment for prisoners of the Amazons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Spenser plays on the stereotypical gender roles quite a bit in this book. Many of his characters step over that gender role line. What are the most important crossovers and how do they effect the outcome of the book? Are there people in our society today doing the same thing?
Essay Topic 2
Who do you think should have won in the trial between Mutability and Nature? What are the differences between the two? Which one do you think is more powerful and why?
Essay Topic 3
When Arthur witnesses the death sentence of Duessa, he has a moment of pity--even though he has seen first hand the kind of treachery that she is capable of. Why does he feel this way? What has Duessa done to deserve this sentence? How does this apply to our day and age?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)