|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the beast do when he fails to capture and kill Florimell after she jumps into the fisherman's boat?
2. Who is the messenger who delivers the engagement-breaking news?
3. How does Blandamour claim Snowy Florimell?
4. What does Error vomit up as a defense against The Red Cross Knight's attack?
5. Why does Cymochles fight Guymon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Britomart meets Artegall, and why is this so ironic?
2. How much time does Artegall have to complete his mission and what will happen if he does not?
3. Explain the bond that Triamond had with his brothers.
4. Explain what Hellenore does at the promptings of Paridell.
5. Why are Artegall and Scudamore so happy when Britomart's helmet is knocked off?
6. How is Florimell finally saved?
7. Why is Calidore distracted from his quest to kill The Blatant Beast?
8. Explain the dream that Britomart has and the interpretation.
9. What gives The Red Cross Knight the courage he needs to slay the monster Error when he is almost defeated?
10. Where does Arthur find the monster?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The appearance of the Salvage Man brings up an interesting argument. Can men be truly civilized without education? Can education truly civilize even the worst of men? What are your feelings on the importance of education? Use examples from the book to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
When Arthur witnesses the death sentence of Duessa, he has a moment of pity--even though he has seen first hand the kind of treachery that she is capable of. Why does he feel this way? What has Duessa done to deserve this sentence? How does this apply to our day and age?
Essay Topic 3
Spenser blamed the degeneration of society on the tossing aside of certain values and wrote this book as a satire on this issue. What are some of the best examples from the book that display this point? Are they effective enough to leave an impression? Why or why not?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)