|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the brother of Pyrochles?
2. Who is the victor of the tournament?
3. What unlikely protector does Una find?
4. How is The Red Cross Knight finally shown Duessa's true nature?
5. How is Acrasia captured?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gives The Red Cross Knight the courage he needs to slay the monster Error when he is almost defeated?
2. What was Artegall given to help him rescue Eirena?
3. Explain the experience that Serena has with the savages.
4. What does the blood on the baby's hands symbolize?
5. What does the Witch do to pacify her son's rejection?
6. Who has destroyed Man's Golden Age?
7. What does The Hairy Carl do to his victims?
8. What happens to The Red Cross Knight at The House of Holiness?
9. Explain what happened to Guyon while he was with Mammon.
10. Why does Marinell refuse to fight Britomart?
Essay Topic 1
Calidore allows Scandal to live after he spends most of his time in the book chasing after him. Why do you think he does this? What good or bad came from this decision? How would the plot have been altered if he had killed the Beast?
Essay Topic 2
Spenser blamed the degeneration of society on the tossing aside of certain values and wrote this book as a satire on this issue. What are some of the best examples from the book that display this point? Are they effective enough to leave an impression? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
When Arthur witnesses the death sentence of Duessa, he has a moment of pity--even though he has seen first hand the kind of treachery that she is capable of. Why does he feel this way? What has Duessa done to deserve this sentence? How does this apply to our day and age?
This section contains 1,530 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)