|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the destiny for one of Britomart's future daughters, as revealed to her by Merlin?
2. Why did Phedon kill his best friend and his betrothed?
3. Who kills Pyrochles and Cymochles while Guyon is sleeping?
4. Why does Pyrochles fight Guymon?
5. Who is Arthur in love with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Calepine think determines a man's destiny?
2. Why is Calidore distracted from his quest to kill The Blatant Beast?
3. Explain the dream that Britomart has and the interpretation.
4. What were some notable differences between The House of Pride and The House of Holiness?
5. Why are Artegall and Scudamore so happy when Britomart's helmet is knocked off?
6. What happens when Britomart meets Artegall, and why is this so ironic?
7. What does Calidore do when he finally captures the Blatant Beast?
8. Explain Artegall's Solomon-like solution with Saglier.
9. What common ailment do Timias and Serena share?
10. How does Souldon die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Florimell and Marinell both have very emotional and foolish ways of dealing with their grievous situations. Discuss their reactions to bad news and what they could have done differently? Is this a good match?
Essay Topic 2
Spenser blamed the degeneration of society on the tossing aside of certain values and wrote this book as a satire on this issue. What are some of the best examples from the book that display this point? Are they effective enough to leave an impression? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
When Arthur witnesses the death sentence of Duessa, he has a moment of pity--even though he has seen first hand the kind of treachery that she is capable of. Why does he feel this way? What has Duessa done to deserve this sentence? How does this apply to our day and age?
This section contains 1,577 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)