|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unlikely protector does Una find?
2. Why does Malbecco finally let the knights in?
3. How does Sansjoy recover after he loses his duel with the Red Cross Knight?
4. Why won't the blood on the baby's hands wash off?
5. How did Triamond survive his battle with Campbell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the punishment for prisoners of the Amazons?
2. How is Guyon defeated for the first time in his life?
3. What makes Duessa so dangerous to The Red Cross Knight?
4. Explain the experience that Serena has with the savages.
5. Why would Arthur be so enthralled in a book of history?
6. Why does Mirabella not need protecting?
7. Why does Belphoebe dwell in the woods when she was born to higher things?
8. What does Arthur make Turpine promise to do in order to keep his life? Why do you think he does this?
9. What does The Hairy Carl do to his victims?
10. What gives The Red Cross Knight the courage he needs to slay the monster Error when he is almost defeated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Braggadochio is a very foolish and pompous character in this book. What is his real weakness? Where is it illustrated best? How does his folly change the way the plot goes?
Essay Topic 2
Spenser plays on the stereotypical gender roles quite a bit in this book. Many of his characters step over that gender role line. What are the most important crossovers and how do they effect the outcome of the book? Are there people in our society today doing the same thing?
Essay Topic 3
Who do you think should have won in the trial between Mutability and Nature? What are the differences between the two? Which one do you think is more powerful and why?
This section contains 1,549 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)