|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Malbecco refuse to let the knights into his castle and make them sleep in the pig shed on the first night?
2. What gets in the way of the engagement between The Red Cross Knight and Una?
3. What does the beast do when he fails to capture and kill Florimell after she jumps into the fisherman's boat?
4. What does the witch do to calm his son down after Florimell runs away?
5. Who is the brother of Pyrochles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Artegall's Solomon-like solution with Saglier.
2. What gives The Red Cross Knight the courage he needs to slay the monster Error when he is almost defeated?
3. How does Calidore break the law of Chivalry?
4. Where does Arthur find the monster?
5. What was Artegall given to help him rescue Eirena?
6. What does The Hairy Carl do to his victims?
7. How is Tristram validated for killing a knight above his status?
8. Who is Calidore most worried about, and why?
9. How does Souldon die?
10. Why do The Dwarf and The Red Cross Knight flee the House of Pride?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Britomart has a very important dream. What does she dream? What is the interpretation? What impact does this have on the story.
Essay Topic 2
The idea of settling for cheap imitations in place of the real deal is very vividly explored with the creation of Snowy Florimell. Why might the Witch's son, along with many other characters from the book, have been so satisfied with the false version of a real woman? What made her so appealing?
Essay Topic 3
Florimell and Marinell both have very emotional and foolish ways of dealing with their grievous situations. Discuss their reactions to bad news and what they could have done differently? Is this a good match?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)