|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lucifera welcome Duessa and The Red Cross Knight as they approach The House of Pride?
2. Why does Hellenore set fire to her husband's treasures?
3. Why is Sir Scudamore so happy when Artegall cracks Britomart's helmet in battle?
4. Who is the brother of Pyrochles?
5. What does the witch do to calm his son down after Florimell runs away?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does an angel watch over Guyon?
2. What are Mutability's reasons for wanting the title of control?
3. Why does Mirabella not need protecting?
4. How is Florimell finally saved?
5. How does Marinell find Florimell?
6. Explain Artegall's Solomon-like solution with Saglier.
7. How does Calidore break the law of Chivalry?
8. Who is Calidore most worried about, and why?
9. What does The Hairy Carl do to his victims?
10. What kind of circumstances does Hellenore find herself in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Arthur witnesses the death sentence of Duessa, he has a moment of pity--even though he has seen first hand the kind of treachery that she is capable of. Why does he feel this way? What has Duessa done to deserve this sentence? How does this apply to our day and age?
Essay Topic 2
Guyon faces some very real and dangerous temptations during his sojourn with Mammon. Somehow he is able to make it out without giving in to any of them. Summarize the different things that Mammon uses to tempt Guyon and the ways that Guyon maintained his self control. What kinds of parallels can be made to your life today?
Essay Topic 3
Calidore allows Scandal to live after he spends most of his time in the book chasing after him. Why do you think he does this? What good or bad came from this decision? How would the plot have been altered if he had killed the Beast?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)